Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln LS Climate Control

torresbrtorresbr Member Posts: 2
Hey everyone, new to the forum... Can anyone help me out, I just recently purchased a 2004 LS V6 on saturday, I have a couple things that are going on thats bothering me...

1. The Heat doesn't work very well, it only comes on after im doing over 40+ mph, and not even that hot neither, even if I have the heat set to 90 degrees!

2. My Side view Mirror control button doesn't work properly, it can only set the mirrors downward but can't raise the mirrors upwards are turn them in or outward.

3. The Transmission feels like it engages hard sometimes coming back down from 5th to 4th or 4th to third im not quite sure, I drive with the shift selector on D5.

The car has 27K on it and it is a 2004, can I take it to a Lincoln Dealership and have this stuff checked out at no charge at all? Or will this stuff cost me a couple of $$$. I love this car and always wanted one, but little things like this turn me off about the car.

Thank you guys, your knowledge is appreciated.

Comments

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Considering it has a 48 month/50K mile warranty I'd say you're covered. It's a bumper to bumper warranty so you shouldn't be out anything other than time. Depending on your dealer they may also give you a free loaner while they check yours out.

#1 sounds like a stuck thermostat or a blend door problem.
  • torresbrtorresbr Member Posts: 2
    Great, does this warranty apply even if I bought it as a used car from a Jeep/Chrysler dealership?
    Of course!
  • cwashburncwashburn Member Posts: 1
    The drivers side vents blow hot air during braking while the passenger air stays cold. When you accelerate the air comes back to cold.
    Blend door.
  • blarson6blarson6 Member Posts: 2
    The drivers side temperture control on my 00' LS for the heat/Air stays on heat even though the digital display changes on the dash. The passenger side control works fine and responds to temperture control changes. Any suggestions?
    B.
  • aiutoaiuto Member Posts: 46
    My 2000 LS V8 has cold air coming into the driver side vents and warm air going to passenger side vents when I have the AC on. Any thoughts? thx.
    The blend door is probably stuck on the passenger side. Common problem but not an easy DIY job.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    Akirby may be right, but there are also two different valving setups for the HVAC due to the Driver/Passenger controls. One of these could be malfunctioning.

But good luck getting it fixed. When mine had 60 degree air out the side vents and 110 degree air out the center stack, [non-permissible content removed] verified by Lincoln field engineering, Lincoln factory engineering's response was "Within Spec". They of course refused to show me the spec and refused to fix the car.
  • dmabedmabe Member Posts: 3
    My 2000 LS blows hot air off and on when a big drop occurs with RPM's. Dealer flushed system once with some chemical and that worked for short time. Driver side gets extremly hot, passenger side barely cool.Dealer said a new valve would be needed at 700.00. Sure could use some help on this.Also just had new head gasket's installed, big buck's.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    V8 or V6? How many miles?

I'm assuming you want cold air on both sides? And it's not set on dual operation? IOW, one temp set point is displayed.

Sounds tricky to me. Cause there are two 'heater control valves' - one for driver and one for pass. So if driver's stuck on heat, why pass doesn't get cool? Could be some crossover heating effect? Anyway, my guess is that the dealer should replace the valve for the driver side. It's probably fairly simple to replace if you dare. Try not to get an air bubble in the system though.
  • ezaircon4jcezaircon4jc Member Posts: 793
    I'd bet money that it's the heater valve. Mine did the same thing, hot air from the passenger side and cool air on the driver's side. I replaced the valve (kind of a bugger, but a DIY job if you're handy) and I get Arctic air out of both sides now. The valve was ~$150 shipped from www.teamfordlv.com and the whole job took me about 5 hours. If I have to do it again, it would be closer to the two hours book time the dealer gets. That includrd bleeding the cooling system and sending my son off for nea coolant.
  • kourykoury Member Posts: 225
    Same happened to my 2000, the dealer said the director (?) was getting stuck, $750 to fix. I found that by keeping the A/C on recirculate and 60 degrees all the time, it always blows cold...I regulate the amount of airflow with the fan button. Beats spending $750, works fine.
    thanks for your help I'll use that info. LS V6, with 70.000 miles
    I'm so happy to have found this web site, this is great information and will put it to good use. My 2000 LS is going to put me in the poor house for sure.
  • chazrulzchazrulz Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    its seems after reading many issues on the ac air conditioner on the LS, people seem to avoid the answers or suggestions. Maybe if I put it in more detail someone will catch the drift and find a problem to this ongoing problem.
    My 2000 LS which by the way is a joy to ride :shades: is a 3.9L V8.
    The ac blows hot air with the setting at maxium cooling. Now I have the dual control temp. I have searched up and down for the low side valve and is still MIA thinking it could be low on R-134a (freon). Now after reading endless forums I heard it may be an electrical problem. The compressor does no sound when turning on the ac. Has anyone had this type of problem and have you solved it already?
    I thank you in advance. :sick:
    If it's low on refrigerant the compressor won't turn on - there's a low pressure safety switch for that. If it is low on refrigerant you need to check for leaks and that requires shop tools - not a DIY thing. You don't want to just refill it with R-134a because it will just leak out again. Just take it to a mechanic and have it checked.
  • mtnhmtnh Member Posts: 19
    If you want to check your charge to confirm that you have no refrigerant or whatever, the low side port is under the car, attached to the bottom of the compressor. I don't recall if the cap was right there when you looked up or if something had to be removed, it's been 3-4 years since I checked mine. If you have no charge in there, you probably will need to have the system evaluated to see where the leak is. If it is slowly leaking to the point of staying charged for a couple of years, then you should be able to top it off. If you hear the fan start to turn really fast while recharging it, you may be overcharged, and will need to have some refrigerant removed in an environmentally-friendly manner.
    Living in sunny Fla., I tried my heated seats as it was 41 this morning. Neither worked! Any thoughts or suggestions.

78k and still running though expensively. thx.
    The elements are probably broken - common problem with the 2000 models. Tricky to replace because of the seat mounted side airbags. Dealer will charge around $300. Upholstery shop may charge less.
    thx for the serious reply. not like the other ......
  • kerssekersse Member Posts: 2
    My 2000 LS has no heat - any suggestions
    No heat where? Engine or seats?
  • kerssekersse Member Posts: 2
    No heat from the engine to heat the interior of the car - same on both sides - blower works just no hot air
    Probably a stuck thermostat. They stick open now so the coolant never heats up. This should be obvious from the engine temp gauge.
  • mookie3mookie3 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I have a Linclon Ls 2000 V8 3.9 and my climate control blows on high even if I turn it down. What is the problem and can I do the job myself? Thanks.
  • ksig419ksig419 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 ls and have only been ale to find the high side valve to do the ac does anyone know wherre ther low side valve is located at.
  • bonniesboytoybonniesboytoy Member Posts: 11
    :confuse: :confuse: The Pass side A/C goes HOT and the drivers increases a little. Noticed the same with defroster in winter. Dealer can't find since they let car sit until tech can get to it and by then it reset itself. Have noticed that if recirc in on doesn't happen as often. I will try lowering temp from 65 to 60 as someone suggested. but otherwise any ideas??Tom..
    I will try lowering temp from 65 to 60 as someone suggested. but otherwise any ideas??Tom..

Sorry bout dat...Temp only goes down to 65, but it did stay on for 20 miles last night.(40 miles round trip)..Tom..
  • vicky8vicky8 Member Posts: 1
    lincoln LS 2000 low side port is under the car attached to the compressor. the compressor is on the drivers side front, behind the tire. the quickest way to find it to look behind the tire you will see a black rubber flap that is 3x6 inches. feel or look behind the flap(flashlight is very helpful,day or night) until you see the blue or black cap. The best way to find it is to remove the front driver side tire and get a small stool or cinderblock to sit on, your back and arms will thank you later. you will see the black rubber flap, lift or push it aside and the low side port will be right in front of you. Please be sure to check the pressure with an ac gauge before adding any freon.
  • lse4melse4me Member Posts: 12
    LOL!! I was just going to post about this subject because this just started happening with my 2002 LSE.

Since I mainly drive this vehicle alone it's not that big of an issue as one option is to close the vents on the passenger side. However, went on a trip with wife and daughter recently and wife got obsessed with it.

We are planning another trip soon and she wanted me to get it fixed. Happened just yesterday on my commute home in 95 degree weather. I try turning the A/C off, changing some settings, running the desired temp up & down. Took awhile this time but eventually got cold air again.

Since Bonnie already had it checked out at the dealer with no success, I don't know that my local mechanic would be any better (nearest dealer is 45 mins away).

Anybody else had a successful repair??
  • ezaircon4jcezaircon4jc Member Posts: 793
    Yep. Happened to me. It sounds like the DCCV (dual climate control valve). The part was, IIRC, ~$200 and a couple hours of my labor. If you're handy with a wrench, it isn't too bad. If not, would have the dealer, or competent shop, do it. Alldata says 1.9 hours labor.......
  • dwayne5dwayne5 Member Posts: 1
    Please send me some help, On our 2000 LS the passenger side temperature will fluctuate somewhat but will not turn off, would someone be able to diagnous our problem? Thank you.
  • harry27harry27 Member Posts: 2
    hi i am a mechanic and i know what the problem is but im not sure how to do it on the lincolns i have one to but...any ways the problems the resistor it allows the controls on the center console to lower the level by adding resistance to the circuit. im not sure where it is located but it is usually located underneath the glove box on the passenger side. hope i helped
  • harry27harry27 Member Posts: 2
    id replace the temp sensors on the dash and id replace the temp. controls on the center console i know it sounds unspecific but i had the same problem but i replaced both and that fixed the problem
  • dellandjdellandj Member Posts: 1
    Did you figure out what your "not heat" problem was? I have a 2000 LS with the same problem. I changed the theromstate...not improvement.
  • hooksfredhooksfred Member Posts: 2
    did your no heat issue require replacing the thermostat? how did you get the issue resolved?
  • hooksfredhooksfred Member Posts: 2
    have you resolved this issue and how did you if so?
  • colbydcolbyd Member Posts: 3
    Hello,I have a 2000 Ls,The weather has been about -35 and for some reason i started my car this morning and i ran it for about 20 mins and jumped in to drive to work and there wasnt any heat coming out of the vens.the gauge for temp was right where it should be and i poped the hood and the rad hoses were all hot but still no heat,so i got back in and reved it to about 2400rpm then the heat started to come but when i let off the gas the heat goes away.the motor is a 3.9 V8 if anyone could help me i would love it,Thanks
  • colbydcolbyd Member Posts: 3
    Hey guys,No i havent heard from the dealership but he told me it might be a head gasket becuase my rad hose didnt have pressure,he thinks its sucking air from there witch i find crazy that he would jump right to the head gasket and not try anything eles.
  • diamonddandiamonddan Member Posts: 3
    Have you ever figured out your no heat problem? I purchased a Lincoln LS this last fall and found out that once the outside temp gets down in the teens or lower, it simply doesn't heat or gets lukewarm at best. I spoke with two other LS owners and they have the same problem. The engine temp always comes up to the half way mark on the guage and stays there rock solid. I would expect if a head gasket really was the issue that the engine temp would fluctuate. If you have found any way to resolve your heating problem, would sure love to hear about it!!
  • drewknowlesdrewknowles Member Posts: 1
    I have same heater problem with my 2000 LS V6. Anybody come up with the fix for the lack of warm air? Thanks for any ideas, especially proven ones.
  • rgnmstrrgnmstr Member Posts: 226
    I have this same problem on my 02. No heat at idle or when coasting but plenty of heat with my foot on the gas.
  • diamonddandiamonddan Member Posts: 3
    I have not had any luck yet getting my Lincoln LS to heat during idle. My brother and another individual I know both have the same problems with their Lincoln LS as well. Hopefully someone can tell us if there is any way to resolve this as it appears to be a common issue.
    I have finally fixed the problem with the A/C turning HOT on the Pass side. I'm leasing a new Chevy Impala and sending the Linc to the next owner. Too many heat/A/C problems for an expensive auto that no one at the dealers wants to fix.
    I'd buy another Linc but with the price of High test I looked for a regular gas auto, and some Impala owners say they get 45MPG on the open road. That's where I do most of my driving. See ya in the funny papers...TFC... :lemon:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    45 MPG? Maybe they're *drinking* high test?

New Impala looks pretty nice. Hope you have good luck with it!

Visiting Host
  • rlong2rlong2 Member Posts: 4
    Check out the answer on Intermitate Heat on the forum.
  • motormama1motormama1 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 02 Linc LS and can't get any heat, blows cold air only. I have heard it may be the evaporator duct sensor under the driver side kick plate. Anyone heard of this issue?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well before you get into such HVAC controls, try the simplest things first and check your coolant level. Low coolant = no heat.
    The thermostat could also be stuck open.