Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln LS Climate Control

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    If the compressor has seized or is making noise, then definitely you must change the entire system---otherwise, if the compressor is not damaged, you might get away with just a compressor and a dryer and perhaps flushing out the AC hoses as long as you have them off.

I've done this and gotten away with it.

You can inspect the interior lines and dryer and see if there is debris evident and go from there.
  • pechonispechonis Member Posts: 1
    2000 lincoln ls blowing hot air intermittently from passenger or drivers side with A/C on. Replaced DCTV, but problem persists. Blend door or maybe some other cause?
  • samasneadsamasnead Member Posts: 3
    It was the blend door actuator on my Lincoln...cost $35 for part. But I was only getting hot air and of course that was mid summer.
  • southport1southport1 Member Posts: 2
    Vehicle is a LS 2000 v8 3.9 160k great car really. other than the trunk space, and cup holders in the front that hold nothing but bottles of water if more than one things.

I have a new thing for me. Yes it relates to my blower but it is not just a one side issue.
    A quick summary. as of last week it would work fine up to like 75 80 then blow warm sometimes .
    So my mechanic suggested adding the freon equivalent stuff .. a couple of cans. it actually ended up being 3. Now the interesting thing was after starting it it now only blows hot.( i mean I can pry cook an egg. well at least keep a latte warm) It does not matter if the a/c is pressed on or not. set at 65 or at max it still blows hot. maybe some slight changes but still hot.
    When I run the climate control self diagnosis it goes through all of the 25? i think steps at the end it does not show any codes just shows all 8's or illuminates the other tings on the display.
    You can hear while the test is running the different flaps I assume opening and closing.
    Now for the unusual. I notice there is a high pitched whistle when the A/C is turned on. you can hear the compressor I assume click on then you hear this sound. now it does get a bit louder of a whistle sound as you start to accelerate. After you turn off the climate control or a/C button it continues for awhile. OF note 2- The outside temperature seems to be set now at 82-95 degrees on average.( when the car was turned on I did try the code dianosis when the outside air was cool( 75 and the display read 82 external. the dx with the off/ foot blower at same time followed by pushing auto in 2 seconds shows the same display all 8's .. When doing it when the car was just turned on before the ingition it ran up to show the outside temp at 107.. The car other wise is running great. the thermostat for the engine shows slightly below middle where it always rests.
    Is it possible when they added freon stuff that it pushed out some muck in the line that clogged the hoses? could it be just taking of the hoses and cleaning or changing them?
    Open to any ideas. It was suggested it could be my display climate control panel but i do not think that is the case.( i do happen to have a back up one just in case on hand )
  • totaljetttotaljett Member Posts: 26
    Since you used your mechanic to remedy the first issue and now there is more of an issue. Honestly, it's time to take it to the dealer for diagnosis now. The Lincoln Ls can be a mystery sometines for mechanics but the dealer can nail it down to the detail. This would eliminate any further good intentions efforts by your mechanic that may or may not be a good idea.
  • southport1southport1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice. What all did you have to repair earlier this month after yours did not work since it was similar?
    In my case the dealer told me I needed a new compressor because mine was leaking. Supposedly commom for the Ls. Along with the compressor were supporting components that had to be replaced which were the accumulator, o'ring and coolant control valve or called the evaporative control valve as well. I was told the way this system is designed, not replacing those supporting components could damage a new compressor. The dealer was talking $2000 for this, yeah right. I went on Ebay and found a remanufactured compressor for my model for $175 and the supporting components for about a total of $50. My mechanic installed all including freon for $200 labor. Ebay also has used Ls compressor from about $60-100 bucks. Just make sure if you decide to shop on Ebay to make sure it's the right parts for your model. This can be reassured by contacting the seller of an item.
  • armourallarmourall Member Posts: 1
    Hi Micheal, I'm having this problem with different temperatures comming from pass and driver side. Cold air from passenger side and hot air from driver side when trying to drive with the a/c on. I'm pretty sure it's the DCCV that needs to be replaced after reading so much about it, but my question is, is the dual climate control valve the same as the dual coolant control valve the same as the heater valve? are all 3 valves the same valve? I want to change the same valve that you changed on yours a couple of years back, so if you can send me the part number or exact name so that i can buy from the dealership that would be great. I have a 2002 Lincoln LS V6 3.0L. I tried asking the dealership for a dual climate control valve and they had no idea what it was because thats not what it is listed as in their system. Sorry for the long message, really in need of some help. Thanks
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    My replacement DCCV is sitting right here (I have an '05 V6 LS) Listed as Valve A 728940 Part # 2R8Z-18495-AA. Having it installed Wednesday. Listed for $164.88 found it online at Ford dealer for $95.39. Hope this helps.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • metodymetody Member Posts: 1
    location of a/c compressor fuse,under dash or hood.thanks
  • jerseyguy1jerseyguy1 Member Posts: 54
    '04 LS, 54000 miles. Bought new.

A/C decides to start blowing warm air, then after a few minutes, blows cool air again. Been to dealer once. Found nothing. Happened to my wife this morning as she was driving to work, except that the system just continued to blow warm air.

As luck would have it the car needs to hit the highway this weekend for a 5 hour drive to a wedding. Hate to do wit without A/C

A quite reliable ride so far except that I have no faith that the transmission will get me to 100,000 miles without a major repair. Been back to dealer 3 times for harsh shifting. All 3 times they did something with the computer software but a temporary fix at best.

Car heads into the dealer tomorrow to see if they can figure anything out with the A/C.

Thanks for any help.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Could just be low on refrigerant - that's one of the symptoms. If not then it's either the control valve or the blend door.
    Sounds like DCCV (dual climate control valve), common problem on these cars, just had mine replaced on my '05
  • jerseyguy1jerseyguy1 Member Posts: 54
    Thanks for the input. Just got back from an almost 600 mile trip. Car was flawless and the A/C worked properly--most of the time. Only had 2 or 3 incidents of it blowing warm air and then for maybe 15-20 seconds before it returned to cooling.

My wife needs her car all week so I will try to get it into the dealership next week.

FWIW, cruised it at about 70mph + for the trip and averaged 27mpg. The car has the V6 engine.
    There's a way to check the climate control but I can't recall exactly. Something with pushing buttons on the climate control system. Do a little internet searching.
  • planemech1planemech1 Member Posts: 3
    Just had the same thing on my 2001. Started out as an intermittant problem now it's full time. Ran diag, by pressing off and floor button at the same time and then within 2 seconds press auto button. Counts up to 25 on one side and down on the other. Hard fail for 1947. Evaporator Discharge Air Temperature Sensor. On your back under driver side look up towards center box. Had one sensor high center with white sensor with two pin plug. Another sensor is 6 inches lower toward the driver seat. Swapped the two sensors by pulling straight out with some force. High sensor on mine is the evaporator sensor. Lower is driver side discharge. problem now with driver side temp. So from your description it sounds like the higher sensor is going bad. Cheap part from Ford! Let me know if this works for you.
    New part $32 from ford. replaced sensor everything now works great.
  • displacedtexandisplacedtexan Member Posts: 364
    Add my 2004 LS V6 to the list of psychotic climate control equipped cars. Back during the summer with the auto temp set to 72 and dual turned off, hot air blew from the passenger side and temperate air from the driver side. Air finally cooled and fan blew hard when temp set to 60, but when adjusted back up to 72 it blew hot at different temps from each side. Again even though the dual was turned off. The system seemed to fix itself after turning the car off then back on (rebooting?). But, the situation progressively got worse. Working, then not working, then working.

So, the car finally went to the dealer, who replaced the heater control valve for $500. It didn’t work. Most recently: outside temp is 55, overcast. Auto climate control system set on auto, dual turned off, temp set at 72. Fan waits until car warms up (based on the temp gauge reaching the halfway mark) then kicks on, gently blowing cold air. Adjusting the temp up to 80, and the air starts to blow hard. And cold. Finally at 85 it warms up. Adjusted back down to 72 and it’s cold again. It went back to the dealer, and they bled the system. Still no fix. Same symptomology as above.

It’s going back on Monday. First a new fuel pump at 65,000 miles. Now this. Otherwise the car’s been great fun to drive, but I’m ready to relegate this to the “taking the dogs to the park” car and find a new daily driver.
    Really sounds like the DCCV or dual climate control valve, which sounds like the heater control valve you have replaced. When mine was replaced, the heat still didn't work and my mechanic replaced a fuse under the hood that usually blows when the DCCV goes bad.
    When you select full hot or full cold it goes into overide mode. When you adjust to around 70 degrees and you don't get the temp that you are asking for on one side or the other, it's the temp sensor for that side. If both blow hot or cold its the top sensor that controls the air to both sides. The sensors are easy to change and cost $35 bucks from Ford. Sounds like you need a passenger side discharge temp sensor. Turn climate control full cold 60 Deg and see if both sides are cold and then full hot 85 deg and see if both sides blow hot. Adjust to 70 and see if you get a split in temp. Split tells you its one side or other discharge temp. If both blow wrong its the main one on the drivers side high.
  • displacedtexandisplacedtexan Member Posts: 364
    The dealer, after keeping it for a couple of nights and consulting with Ford (service for Lincoln and Ford has been combined into one service department at the Ford dealership next to the Lincoln dealership), replaced the post evap sensor (?). The system seems to be working fine now.

I wonder sometimes if the new service department just isn't that experienced with the Lincoln LS. Whatever. As long as the car keeps running for another year.
  • c2cjet1c2cjet1 Member Posts: 1
    Did you find out why your panel wasnt turning on? Mine is intermittent and doesnt have any power to it. Background lights will not work either
  • izzie12izzie12 Member Posts: 6
    Hello,

I have a 2006 Lincoln LS, V8, 38,000 Miles. When I turn on the AC unit on, the AC unit blows hot air and when I turn it off, it still blows really hot air! It doesnt seem as if the AC doesnt kick in at all!!! Can some one please help me or give me an advise.

Thank you,

Izzie
    Hello,

I have a 2006 Lincoln LS, V8, 38,000 Miles. My THX sytem has some sort of static going thru my stock system. You could hear it and you could see it in the stereo screen if its on or off. I thought it was the stock Amplifier, so I disconected the power to it and you could still see it and hear it. Does anyone have an idea of what it could be or what can I do? Please advise!!

thank you,

Izzie
  • jsheffjsheff Member Posts: 2
    Most likely, it is the dual climate control valve, also called heater control valve. When it goes out, it fails open and lets the hot engine coolant flow through the heater core all the time.
  • jsheffjsheff Member Posts: 2
    I believe that is a recall and it has something to do with the rear window defroster. I would call the dealer first and see if your car is part of the recall.
    Hello Jsheff,

Thank you for the recommedation of the Heater Control Valve. I took it to the dealer so that they could do a diognostic on my lincoln and sure thing. It was the control valve heater.

thank you,

Izzie
    I have just recently taken my Lincoln to the dealer and they have told me that the Heather Control Valve has gone out. The Control Heather Valve was causing the static on my stereo screen to get static. It was also making my status screen go crazy.
  • ebell12ebell12 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Lincoln Ls and recently my air conditioner started blowing extremely hot air only i did a test and i got a few errors (Driver & Passenger coolant valve open, Defrost door actuator circuit, and Dual coolant control valve or wiring).

Does anyone know how i can fix this?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    See above. Sounds like DCCV dual climate control valve.
  • deleonjdeleonj Member Posts: 7
    Like so many people here it my LS has now become victim to the AC problem. I blew my AC fuse and after replacing the Fuse, I am still getting Hot air, The compressor is running and it doesnt need any Freon (I Checked) Also, My seats cool when I hit the cooler on the seats but my AC is blowing hot air...Does anyone know what the problem might be, or do I need to replace my DCCV as well?
    Hello,

You need to replace the DCCV, the exact thing happen to my LS. Dont take it to the dealer, they will charge you an arm and a leg. It is easy to repair and will cost you less.
    Thanks for the response Izze, I have checked around at alot of dealers however they dont seem to call this DCCV by that name I think they said it was called a Heater Control Valve, Which I am assuming is the same thing, because I di picture comparisons and it showed the same picture. As for replacing it on my own, im not too mechanically inclined when it comes to cars Im sorry to say :( I wont take it to the dealers, however I am hoping that maybe I can find a trustworthy mechanic who can do it for me.
    DCCV and heater control valve are the same thing, that's probably why your fuse blew. When my DCCV failed, it blew the fuse also.
  • cdking99cdking99 Member Posts: 1
    Ok, so I've been trying to get this fixed for a while now, but got a little confusion now. Had the issue earlier this year that my 04 V8 LS wasn't blowing hot air. After all the forums I ended up changing the DCCV and it fixed the problem. Now the AC only works some of the time. Other times it blows extremely hot air. Doesn't matter what the temp is set on. And it just seems to randomly change, when you change the temp 1 degree, or just whenever you start the car. After running the self diagnoses again, the code it saying bad blend door actuator. Here is where the confusion is coming in. I have read so many of these forums that I'm not sure what is right. Some forums say that the 04 LS doesn't have a blend door actuator, and some are saying it does. I search for the part on Orielly's or Rock Auto, it only shows a plug. No actuator or anything. Can somebody help clear this up for me please? Or could it be that the DCCV has already gone bad again?
    Hello everyone, I finally got my new Heater Control Valve for my 2006 Lincoln LS V8. I was wondering if anyone knew on how to change out and replace the old with the new one. I took it to Ford and they wanted to charge me 125.00 just to LOOK at my car HIGHWAY ROBBERS!!They sell you cheap busted [non-permissible content removed] lemon cars and then charge you to look at thier own jacked up cars. Anyway I'll be damned if I am gonna pay them to fix this when I keep reading this can be done at the user level, only i havent found any real instructions on how to do so...So, if anyone has any help on "HOW TO" by all means please respond I would greatly appreciate it. I have already located the part now the problem is just changing out with the new one.
    Correction - the DEALER wants to charge you $125. Ford has nothing to do with it. One of the Lincoln owner groups might have detailed instructions. Google is your friend.
  • lenswlensw Member Posts: 1
    Where did you find the error codes?

What is a 1265 code?
  • samasneadsamasnead Member Posts: 3
    I would think with this many problems with the heater control valve, that Lincoln would reimburse us for the problem. Guess that's a pipedream but sure would be nice for them to pay to correct their error.
  • abradleabradle Member Posts: 1
    I just had my compressor changed out in my 03 lincoln ls(1200.00 dollars) and now my heat is acting funny. Could this be a related problem? The heat does work but at times it's slow to heat up, and after it's warm and I turn the car off you would think the heat would still be hot. Some times yes or no. Can someone give me advice.
  • lauraann47lauraann47 Member Posts: 1
    I would have to agree with you I am also having the same issue with my Actuator Valve being stuck, it is located on the passengers side it is in a tight place Lincoln will charge you out your [non-permissible content removed] trust me I got an estimate they wanted over 500.00 screw that between my husband and I we can handle this, make sure you change the fuse as well
  • rjones17rjones17 Member Posts: 4
    2006 LS...I am having same problem and have changed 2 Climate control valves (DCCV). 1st one worked for about 3 weeks before heat only so I took the part back and exchanged it for another. 2nd one worked fine for about 2 months and then heat only again, but not all of the time. After the car sits for a while, it seems to reset and everything is back to normal. So you think the actuator valve is the problem? Have you changed it yet? I love this car but can only take so much bull$hit!
  • rlabbrlabb Member Posts: 2
    2000 LS 97,000 miles. After driving a while with the AC on, the left side registers blasts hot air, but the right side remains cold. Switching between upper flow only, bottom flow and top and bottom does not help. I'm guessing it's either the diverters in the dash or the DCCV. Looking for some advice and DIY info
    Did you try the previous 145 posts?
  • 5seabaughs5seabaughs Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like you should have bought an extended warranty on the used car that you bought.
    Even you have to admit that was a cynical self serving statement that didn't contribute anything to resolving the problem presented before us :confuse:
  • hatchcover66hatchcover66 Member Posts: 2
    My A/C runs cool for approx 1 minute then blows the A/C clutch fuse. After the fuse is blown the air coming through the vent gets extremely hot. even when you turn the system off the heat radiates through the dash and vents. i replaced the a/c compressor and still the same problem... is there anyone that can help me?? please...
    When my DCCV on my '05 was bad it would blow a fuse related to the climate control, can't remember which one.
  • hatchcover66hatchcover66 Member Posts: 2
    thanks, thats what im thinking... the the fuse that blows controls the DCCV as well...
  • martinmizz1martinmizz1 Member Posts: 1
    I have all new coils new radiator new plugs I checked the DATC sys I fund code 24-26 does anyone know what that is I have been looking for that code and cant find anything can some one pleas HELP with the overheat it some time spill out antifreeze from the ex tank but that's also new I was thinking maybe the antifreeze is not cycling because I cant put the heat on the fan goes on I don't know what to do anymore