Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Town & Country Warning Lights

2»

Comments

• weitangweitang Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys I have a 01 chysler town and country, couple days ago my engine light came on, and I'm sure that the oil and everything was fine. So I restarted the engine light, it was good for a couple days. Today it pops up again, I also smell somethings funny around outside of the car. Is like something is burning. I pop the hood and everythings in there looks just fine. I'm planning a 5 hours trip tomorrow, was wondering is it safe to drive. The engine light is not flashing, but it seems like when i turn the wheel shakes a little bit. Please help guys.
  • weitangweitang Member Posts: 2
    I also check the gas cap it was tight.
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    Unfortunately, without knowing what the OBD codes are, most of us would just be speculating.

OK, I'll speculate - burning smell and CEL on could mean the catalytic converter has gone south.

Try to get us the codes.
  • frank_vfrank_v Member Posts: 1
    Had the code P0601 come up and I think that is the main computer which I had replaced with a brand new one just over a year ago. Can it really be bad already? Should it still be under warranty?
    I also had a lot of corrosion from battery acid build up on the battery terminals. Could that have possibly threw off the diagnostic reading? I did clean the terminals really well, started the car and the engine light did not come on. Then a couple of hours later when I started it the light came back on. What should I expect that this is?
  • robhjrrobhjr Member Posts: 1
    try your OBD code reader by turning your key forwards and back to the off position then back forward then wait a few seconds and look were the speedomotar is and the codes should come up then look them up on the internet
  • jht1005jht1005 Member Posts: 1
    Your problem is almost certainly the printed circuit board being the gauge cluster. I had the same problem with my 1998 LXi. The fix cost me just under $700 at the dealership about three years ago. I've been told you pull it yourself and try to re-solder cracked connections if you have the mechanical aptitude.
  • packerfan65packerfan65 Member Posts: 2
    Hi...my CEL came on about a month ago and turned off after a couple of days...week went by and came back on...then intermittently between engine starts and nothing for the past week. Should I be concerned? Also, can I still get the codes to come up if the check engine light isn't presently coming on? Thanks!
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    Should I be concerned?

If the van is running fine, I would not be concerned.

Also, can I still get the codes to come up if the check engine light isn't presently coming on

Any OBD-II reader/scan diagnostic tool should be able to pull any stored codes, even if the CEL is not currently on.
  • packerfan65packerfan65 Member Posts: 2
    Good news! Thanks for responding so fast.
  • kkeyyankeeskkeyyankees Member Posts: 3
    turn the key 2 or 3 times and look at the odometer it wiull give your the codes, you will get p1684 and maybe 2 or 3 others which are for the evap system, I have had it fo 2 years on my car with no problems. there is a leak in a hose somewhere and the only way to find is with a smoke tester. also check under your hood at the front left (by grill)by the fan belt there are 2 hoses going into a small container i forget the name, ill find out for you. see if that is detached or those hoses have a hole in it. could also be your gas cap.
  • ponytaildaveponytaildave Member Posts: 1
    my 2001 Chrysler T&C has engine codes PO601,PO122.PO123.PO118,PO106,PO206,P1478,P1496 it was running fine all day and suddenly started bucking and surging missfiring and has a burning smell outside the van are most of these codes because of the engine control module also can smell raw fuel coming from tailpipe HELP
  • wcgreerwcgreer Member Posts: 1
    I have pulled the trannny to put a new torque converter seal in. I put it all back together and it wont start. It was running fine before, just leaking fluid. The only code to come up is p1684. I bought a code reader and it says no codes but the odometer reads p1684. can anyone give me any advise as to how to fix.
  • john593john593 Member Posts: 1
    1999 T & C. Service Engine Soon light on. OBD II reader says no codes. Light won't turn off. Ideas??
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    P1684 just means the battery has been disconnected within the last 50 starts. Not an error, just documenting the event. You likely disconnected the battery when you pulled the trans.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
  • billgrissombillgrissom Member Posts: 15
    edited March 2013
    Did you put the crank position sensor back? It sits at the top of the tranny bell-housing and you must have at least unplugged it. If you didn't remove it, you might have damaged it in getting the tranny out. You won't get any fuel flow without it because the injectors fire from that signal, similar to how you wouldn't get spark in an old car without the distributor turning. The sensor tip needs to sit very close to the slots on the "toner ring" since a magnetic "Hall-effect" sensor.

When you pulled the tranny, you should have checked the flexplate. Mine was cracked all around the bolt holes and rotated ~20 deg, which you wouldn't see without removing the clamp ring. I understand a common problem. My engine had ~170K miles. Indeed, I would always replace the rear engine seal during this job, so you would have seen that.
  • joeweid22joeweid22 Member Posts: 1
    Engine starts up as usual, except all the dash gauges go all the way to the right then return to normal position.
    Also, radio/CD does not work. And remote door lock does not work, and the door lock button does not work unless engine is on. All other components work as usual.
  • espanarulesespanarules Member Posts: 2
    2010 T&C Touring...Engine Light Code: H65535
    Any hints greatly appreciated...Emissions? O2 sensor?
  • artandkimartandkim Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2018
    I have been Ubering with my 2015 Chrysler Town and Country. It's been a week, and as I was getting ready to go out on a run, the car went dead. Nothing. A minute later a little red dot came on the dash. Thats it. I couldn't even lock the car. Any clues? Its got 78,000 miles on it.
    Help.