Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge-Plymouth Neon Starting/Stalling

Comments

• tech1helptech1help Member Posts: 18
    do the lights on the dash dimm as yo try to start the car? also put it in neutral and see if it will start. If still no clicking or anything. check the fuse panel under the hood. you may have blown one of the main engine fuses,
  • doggedjunkdoggedjunk Member Posts: 5
    external fuel filter,on plastic model fuel tanks its stainless steel about 46$ i read this in another blog on or feb 10 2008 1/ 19/ 10
    #
    41 leich2 is.it seams to me like it makes sense.im going to try it on myn. man there so many people with this same problem,im suprised we dont have more solutions on this blog tip at the top of a trouble shooting window.
  • lakersgrl05lakersgrl05 Member Posts: 2
  • goody2shoes1goody2shoes1 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem! Did you figure out what's wrong with it yet?

Here is my experience:

December 2009
    Put Neon in garage and drove Cavalier as the Neon was not handling well on ice.
    -Had almost half a tank of gas in it.

February 23, 2010
    Tried to start Neon, turned over 3-4 times before it wouldn’t turn over at all – dead silence. We tried to jump the battery but that did not make a difference.

February 26th
    Put a new battery in the Neon – still would not turn over, dead silence.

February 27th
    Dad and brother came over and put a charger on the battery. Car would turn over but not start, tried this couple of times. Brother turned the car over and held the gas pedal down – car started. We drove up to the gas station to put gas in it, drove around town just fine. Went home, and drove it an hour later, it started fine. Went to start it roughly 2 hours later and it would turn over but not start. On the third try it went silent again (no clicking just silence). Put a bottle of heat in gas tank – still silent.

It only has 48,000 miles on it too! We thought we flooded it from starting it numerous times but that's obviously not the problem. I'm lost!
  • ninjajuggalo18ninjajuggalo18 Member Posts: 2
  • livetolearnlivetolearn Member Posts: 1
    My daughter has a 2004 dodge neon that has a strange sounding idle , like its going to stall but doesn't quite. She says on the highway when going past 80 km it feels like its cutting out at times and sort of bucking. Wondering if this may sound familiar to anyone.
  • tcb74tcb74 Member Posts: 7
  • airflight12airflight12 Member Posts: 1
    i dont know if you have fixed the problem yet but replace all the spark plugs and battery. a low battery can cause the car to shake because it can not draw proper voltage. also make sure your fuel system is not clogged. a full tune up can help.
  • drenndrenn Member Posts: 9
    I got a 1995 neon 2.0 single overhead cam will idle great rev it up a couple times will stall let set for a while will start and do the same thing all overagain need help
  • ozarkchick14ozarkchick14 Member Posts: 3
  • kandice1980kandice1980 Member Posts: 1
    Try having the Cam & Crank sensors replaced. I had the same problem and it worked after I put the new ones in.
    1995 2.0 single overhead cam neon while driving shuts off but starts right back up goes for awhile than does it again any help no codes had a jeep do the same crank shaft sencor but it showed a code
    1995 dodge neon runs great but will shut off while driving turn key off starts right back up go for awhile does it all over again?????????
  • fubijawfubijaw Member Posts: 2
  • fubijawfubijaw Member Posts: 2
    95 Plymouth Neon is VERY hard to start. Originally, it would need to be cranked for several seconds before it started, but it would start eventually. It seemed the lower the gas level, the harder it was to start. In fact, it drives fine until the gauge goes to E; however, if the car is turned off and the tank is around a quarter full or less, it will not started again, acting like it is out of gas.

Now it has gotten even harder to start and will stall immediately after it finally starts up. Once (and if) it gets going, it drives perfectly fine. I've sprayed starting fluid in the intake, which gets it started, but it will stall immediately. If I don't spray starting fluid, it won't start at all. It has a new fuel pump and fuel filter.

Any ideas? Please go easy on me.....I am not fluent in carspeak.
  • acesshadowacesshadow Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 dodge neon that suddenly shut off driving down the road. After checking I found that the ignition fuseable link had blown. I replaced it and it drove only a few feet but had idled some time. I replaced it again and drove about a mile, another blown fuse. After getting it home I have noticed that it fuse stays good at an idle but when you put it into gear in seconds the fuse gets VERY hot. The car has an automatic transmission. Any ideas anyone?
  • wayne61wayne61 Member Posts: 2
    Check the 20 amp asd fuse in the Power Distribution Center if the fuse is blown the starter will not turnover, but the headlights will still come on with no problem.The PDC is located under the hood beside the battery.
  • wayne61wayne61 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 neon starts and stalls all the time. Sometimes it stalls when you first starts but mostly stalls after it is warm. Replaced fuel pump but still did the same thing. So we took it to the shop. Could find nothing wrong,no codes. So they checked the fuel pressure and it was between 95 and 100 psi, way to high. The fuel pump is only 1 day old, bought it from AutoZone.So I put the old regulator on the new fuel pump and got the same reading. So AutoZone is going to replace the pump, they won't let me just trade them regulators. Just wandering if any one else has checked the fuel pressure for being high and if that fixed anybody's problem. Will be putting in new pump Friday will let you know if that fixed problem.
  • dodgeman94dodgeman94 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem. i found out its the wire/connector that connects to the starter
    push it in and try that. email me for anything else. :mad:

easternbmxer1121@gmail.com
  • polpolpolpol Member Posts: 1
    i don't know if you fix your neon yet but i had the same problem. i took my neon to get fix but I got it back and it still didn't work I told the mechanic that it could of been alarm system so they disconnect the wires work for a little bit but the fuses were still blowing out. my noen blew the fuses when I moved my steering column. So I told the mechanic and he told me that the problem was in the steering column. NOw my neon is working never was told what caused it but it was in the steering column.
  • floyd10floyd10 Member Posts: 4
    we have a 97 neon, sometimes it just quits completely, will turn over but gets no spark. sometimes you may wait 5 min and will start back up, sometimes may wait an hour. seems to do it more when its hot out. not codes show up. any suggestions what to check.
  • tiffany2733tiffany2733 Member Posts: 5
    08/24/10
    I have had my neon for 5 years now and I am having the EXACT same problem..taken it to 2 different garages and after $820.00 its STILL doing it... I had all new plugs wires and fuel injector cleaning....and at 2nd garage had new fuel pump put on...and its STILL not working....HELP
  • squirrelgirlsquirrelgirl Member Posts: 1
    I just got done dealing with this issue. At first I thought fuel pump too. I have the exact same car. I had my car scoped at Auto Zone, it threw a code for the cam position sensor...fixes could be replacing that part, to the connections to it, to your timing being off, to a tune up. Taking the path of least resistance (and also having 47K on the car, it was time...) I got the tune up. It solved the problem for 5 days. I had it rescoped and it threw the cam sensor again. I had it fixed, so far so good.
    Im still working on my 97 neon, have replaced fuel pump, oxygen sensor, cam sensor, timing belt, (only code that comes up says the timing belt is one tooth off but its not), and tune up. still having the stalling problem. going to test the throttle position sensor,dont think thats it but worth a try. Im wondering about the computer. has anyone had to replace theirs.
    Funny because I had the IT Guys from work go out and mess with it and everytime they stuck something in the throttle hole(lol no sure the exact term) my car would start.. and they did this 2 days ago and so far no problem... so now we think that the throttle sensor was just stuck or they said something about the choke being stuck... when i had my car hooked up to computers at 2 different shops no code came up so they just started replacing cords wires pumps and all that good stuff... after 800plus dollars we have it narrowed down to a $15.00 piece that needs replaced...How annoying is that!!!!
  • onepdqz28onepdqz28 Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2010
    When turning the ignition key, cluster lights up, hear the fuel pump hum. No start. Battery good and posts cleaned. Fuses good. Steering column does not lock.
  • dwildmandwildman Member Posts: 1
    Hi, Mine does the same thing I also have a 98 it is turning out to be a money pit. Did you get a solution to this annoying problem?

Anything would be greatly appreciated. It dies out quick like it lost all power, I am wondering if it could be an electrical problem.
    Hi!!!! I had a tune up done, fuel injector cleaning, and a New Fuel pump put on it!!! 820.00 later it was still acting up here and there and eventually it started up without trouble!!! So far it hasn't been acting up so I am not sure if it just had to finish flushing the stuff out or not. (im not to car handy) but so far so good!!!! I only have like 10 months left to pay on it so I didn't want to trade it in yet but Also didnt want to put fortune into it either!!!! Good Luck with yours!! I still get nervous when I am out and about weather its going to start or not...
    Also I took mine to AutoZone when it was still acting up and the guy said before i replace anything else or spend money find someone who can take the Throttle Sensor out and clean it real good to see if that helps!!! Hope it works for ya! Cars are a pain in the butt for sure!
    Im still working on the 97 neon that dies for no reason. only code that ever came up was timing belt off, I checked, it wasnt, Ive replaced the cam sensor, throttle position sensor, fuel pump, ignition, checked the coils, grounds, connections, Im at a loss.
  • onepdqz28onepdqz28 Member Posts: 2
    Column does lock, after some wrestling. Replaced the starter. S.O.S. Swapped the A/C relay for the starters relay. Vroom. It fired right up. J.C. a fricken bad relay!
    i have a 95 neon did the same now won't start at all did you find the problem
  • 05basketcase05basketcase Member Posts: 3
    Hello all. I'm new to the forum. I also recently bought an o5 Neon. So far I've changed the tires, fluids, motor/ tranny mounts, both speed sensors on the tranny, cam sensor, TPS, idle control valve, MAP sensor, ignition coil, wires n plugs, air filter, PVC and last but not least the belts. Oh! And the transmission shift solenoid! After all of this I am left with water leaking into the cabin from the evaporator(?) and a rough idle that's driving me NUTS! Not too concerned about the water cause I'm not gonna be using the AC for a bit but I can't figure out the idle prob and it seems like it's pretty common. Looking for any ideas........?
    I have tried everything and some days its fine and some its not.... I wish you the best of luck with yours.. We have had 3 neons in my family a 00 03 and 05 and we sold the 00 the 03 transmission just went out and my 05 is having problems now but this is truely the 1st problem it has had in 5 years... I Hope you find out what is wrong with yours!!! Good Luck
  • 05basketcase05basketcase Member Posts: 3
    Thanx. It sucks because I really like the little car and would rather spend the time and money on some accessories instead...! In any case, last thing suggested was to check the EGR valve but all I've been able to find is a picture of the gasket. Does the 05 even have an EGR? The Chilton's manual is terrible! I gotta get me something better! I have a new crank sensor that I haven't installed yet but I doubt that's the problem...
  • hiteck1hiteck1 Member Posts: 1
    with my neon it was the crank position sensor loacted above the oil filter
    not easy to take out but can be done buy a new one 85$ canadian
    good luck also check under fuze box under hood all wire are connected
  • everett1978everett1978 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2011
    I have a 98 plymonth neon that stalls out at a read light a couple weeks back, after 5 mins it started back up, but stalled at the next read light. I put it on the computer and it said battery temp sensor (replaced) So now check engine lights off but its still stalls at redlights or if you let it warm up to normal temp. sometimes wont start at all! I've replaced core pack, spark plugs, crank sensor, computer, tested fuel pressure, i can hear fuel pump run. any ideas???? :mad:
  • usmcmech02usmcmech02 Member Posts: 1
    Im having the same issue with my 2002. check the wiring harness back by the manifold. Good chance its hitting the manifold and has melted though and some wired are cross arcing on the manifold when you hit a bump
  • dodgeneon1997dodgeneon1997 Member Posts: 1
    I have been having this same problem for years and took to a dodge dealer and other mechanics who could find nothing wrong. Finally took it to a local dealer in my hometown who folks recommended as really good and honest. Mine had the exact same symptoms as you describe and it was a problem with the fuel pump. A problem with fuel injectors could also be the culprit.
  • dman93dman93 Member Posts: 1
    With my neon I have run into two problems that a lot of other people run into and I have not seen any answers to them. I have fixed those problems and now I want to share them with you other Neon owners. First thing, There are a lot of problems involving the fuel pump, then people change it out (sometimes with the rest of the fuel system) and still have not fixed the problem. The cause on mine was the crank position sensor, which controls the fuel pump making it appear as if it the pump or something else in the fuel system. On mine I would be driving then I would lose all power to the engine, the radio would still be going, and the speedometer would drop to zero even when I was still moving. sometimes it would restart afterwards sometimes it would not. Then I took a look at the crank position sensor and found that it had leaked oil into the electrical part, and started shorting out the sensor therefore cutting off all fuel flow to the engine.

Second, the "door" light comes on when all doors are closed, and it would leave the light on and drain the battery. When I replaced all the Door jamb switches that fixed the problem.

My neon is a 2000, but I have seen a lot of similar problems with other years as well. And These may not fix your problems, but I hope that this will at least help.
  • raeannahsmommyraeannahsmommy Member Posts: 1
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I have a 1999 Dodge neon. Few weeks ago I was accelrating on highway & it lost all power then instantly died. Started right back up. i took it to mechanic they changed throttle body, throttle position sensor, fuel pump & fuel filter. Before taking it to mechanic the computer scanner did not pull up any codes. I got car back & it now had long start up & hesitation on take off & misfiring. Took it back to mechanic they adjusted throttle body. Still had same problems & had it scanned again scanner showed bad cam sensor. I replaced that & has it scanned again it still shwoing bad cam sensor & now ambient air temperature sensor. Currently car still has long start up, & loses power on accelerating too fast. could my PCM be bad? Or if anyone has any other ideas I would greatly appreciate it.
  • felicia401felicia401 Member Posts: 1
    i have the same exact problem. my tranny just went today too, when my light comes on it says its my "idle air" so that could also be a cause.
  • jencreekcaroljencreekcarol Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Dodge Neon. It will run fine for a while and then when you try to start it, it will start and die 3 times and then it will not start for a while. When this happens, the security light stays on. The computer has been replaced along with the ignition module and a new key has been programmed. Any ideas?
  • racerxxracerxx Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    So my daughter just bought the 2005 dodge neon and i was driving with her the other day i noticed the car loose power and get power back. The car didn't die but lost power. do you think by replacing crank position sensor might fix problem? she tells me today when she was making a right hand turn she had to slam on the brakes because people were crossing and the car died. dman93 when you were driving your car did it completely die or did it just stall for a second.
  • sloanroyalsloanroyal Member Posts: 1
    well i have a 01 dodge neon also my process of thinking about that is that your car could be over heating and your RPM's aren't staying up far enough or not shifting at the right time i push my car hard and i drift with it so its still going for me just think about every solution and look for the problem
  • gem880406gem880406 Member Posts: 2
    Same thing happens to me but it's while I'm driving...I've had every thing that you've had replaced as well and have had to take it back to the Dodge dealership 3 times and it's still not working...have you found out any thing??
  • gem880406gem880406 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I've had the same problem with my '98. I've had basically every thing under the hood replaced...cam sensor, spark plugs/wires, valve cover gasket, melted wires replaced...and have had the PCM replaced...and it's still dying on me. Let me know if you ever find out what's going on and I'll do the same.

Thanks,
    ~Steph