Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo C70 Warning Lights

tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,239
edited August 2014 in Volvo
Had the light come on yesterday. I know the first place to check is the gas cap. It was barely on!! Don't understand how it got loose, because I always give it 5+ clicks. Maybe I had a "senior moment". Any how, the last fillup was half a tank ago. Any idea how long it takes for the system to reset and the light to go out?? :confuse:

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    7 days.

or you could disconnect the battery for 30 minutes.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,239
    Thanks, Rob. Guess I'll wait the 7 days. Don't really want to lose all the presets and reprogram the radio code, etc. Granted it's not hard, but still a PITA. :D
    I hear ya. I used to wait it out, too. Then I got tired of that game and got myself an OBDII reader so I could clear out the codes myself.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• freddy8freddy8 Member Posts: 13
    I got the gas cap message this week, turns out. I'd love to buy a reader. I've always done multi-clicks of the gas cap, and the cap didn't seem to turn any more when trying it when the check engine light came on. ( so I took it to the dealer to find it was that code).
    there are lots of options out there. IPDusa sells one or 2, i think. probably most autoparts stores have some sort of handheld unit for sale.
    then there are pc and palm solutions.

i think this place used to sell a setup you could use from your laptop:
    http://www.obdii.com/

i bought software and a cable for my Sony Clie.

• momsfirstmomsfirst Member Posts: 7
    My check engine light has come on three times, with a trip 50 miles away to a dealer each time, and each time it was fuel cap. First, don't understand why check engine comes on when there is message for check fuel cap on dash read out. Second, I tighten my cap, at least a dozen times around and there is still play in it, but the engine light only comes on at less than 1/4 tank. Is this what the rest of you are experiencing?
    For less than 4000 miles on a $47,000 vehicle, I'm seeing a lot more of the dealer than I did with my $16000, PT Cruiser.
  • lemennlemenn Member Posts: 89
    I don't think it helps but I just can say that I have never seen the Engine light coming on and I don't have any problem with the fuel cap. I have the diesel engine but I doubt it makes any differences.

I hope you will solve the problem quickly.
    I suggest a new gas cap. Could be the seal on yours is defective. I had the problem you are describing (although on an older volvo with 100k miles). After replacing the cap, it never happened again.

• momsfirstmomsfirst Member Posts: 7
    The dealer replaced the fuel pump, did a 24hour pressure test no problems. Drove til car was down to 1/2 tank, check engine came on again. This time there was rough idleing and it died. This happened three times before I could even put it into reverse. So, less than 5000 miles and in the shop yet again :cry: . My DH has a 10 yr old Lexus LS 400, 200,000 and has never had the engine light on.
    well, definitely not the cap if it died.

sounds like they have a true leak on their hands. sorry to hear it, but unfortunately, it happens. You could have just as easily lucked out and gotten one that would go 200k with no lights. That's exactly what it is sometimes ... luck.

• cricket4cricket4 Member Posts: 94
    I really feel for you. My car is going back in to the service department (for the fourth time with only 2500 miles). A section of the roof is being re-painted AGAIN. The first time they thought they had fixed it and thought it safe to go ahead and paint. Two days after it was painted I had the top down and when I raised it and then washed it, there was another chipped spot in the same place as the old - right there on my new painted panel! So he had to further adjust the trunk arm and allow more space and now I once again have to get it painted... I think with new cars sometimes they just don't have enough time to test it and we are the guinea pigs...
  • erisamanerisaman Member Posts: 99
    Oh cricket4! What can we say? You always seem to get the rough end - maybe this time it'll be sorted good'n proper and you'll be right from now on! Really hope so. Good luck.
    Thanks, erisaman. Actually, I don't feel so bad about the whole thing because when I went to get the car after it had been painted the first time - it was BEAUTIFUL. They did a full detail (wax & buff) and it was more stunning then when I saw it for the first time. They tell me it will look like that again when they are finished. I recommend to all that you have your dealership do a full detail every now and then. It was beautiful.
  • henkbwhenkbw Member Posts: 22
    So, what you are suggesting is...

Every time you think the car needs a thorough clean and wax job, you take a small hammer and plastic rod, make a little dent on a certain place on the roof, go to your dealer and complain that the problem isn't over yet? :)

Hmm, might work for a couple of times
    LOL! How did you guess? Now I'll have to try something new...
  • ksagalksagal Member Posts: 1
    Anybody know what this code means?

I am new here. Is there a good source for the meanings of the codes? My reader only gives generic answers, and I have been told that Volvo does not always use the same key...
  • barnaclebillbarnaclebill Member Posts: 2
    Hello all, new to the site and looking for some help. Recently purchased a 2000 Volve C-70 convertible. Been having some issues with the dash "bulb out" light lit. Checked over all my bulbs a few times over but they're all working fine. Any solutions on how to rectify this problem. Thanks in advance. Bill
  • barnaclebillbarnaclebill Member Posts: 2
    10 days so far and that dash light is driving me crazy. Doesn't anyone have an aswer for me? Please!!! :)
  • slavonslavon Member Posts: 1
    Same car ...same light on....and OF....and ..ON....???
This discussion has been closed.