Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler Tires and Wheels

skyking49skyking49 Member Posts: 112
These are the stock tires that came with my 06 wrangler x. Will they be pretty good in snow? I hate to buy snow tires if these will do the job?

Comments

• erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Depends on where you are. Dry snow and wet snow are different beasts. Throw in mountains and it can get nasty.

We had stock tires on our Grand Cherokee and they were pathetic in the snow. After one year driving em though, we wore through them and put on All Terrains. They were MUCH better in the snow and clawed like there was no tomorrow. That includes drives up to Mammoth Mountain along Highway 395 and the grade from Bishop to Mammoth. Never needed a chain, except as required by the CHP. :)

-Paul
  • skyking49skyking49 Member Posts: 112
    I live in Connecticut but plan on going anywhere I can. As noted these are all Terrain Tires. I plan on going out when most folks are staying home. Its the best time to drive in the snow IMHO. Hell, I had an old VW with the engine in the back and I could do just about anywhere with it. I plan on driving on unplowed roads etc. I bought the Jeep for this reason. My friends have said I should be able to go just about anywhere with my stock tires but I wanted opinions from other Jeep owners. I don't think I will be driving in more than 10 to 12 in. of snow. I always thought that Jeeps could do the job. My wife is from Ft. Kent Maine and I plan on taking a trip there too.
    I mssed the part about the AT. My bad :blush:

If they are NOT the GSA's you should be okay. The GSA tires are routinely known as "Get Stuck Anywheres" so if they are not wrapped around your wheels, you're probably fine. :)

-Paul
    P215/75R15 RBL Wrangler All Terrain Tires are the tires that came stock on my Jeep.
    I see nothing about them being GSA's. Would that be be on the tire? On the tires it just says Goodyear Wrangler AT/S.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Neither tire is anything special really, and I don't have personal experience of the AT/S, but I would suspect that it would do a better job in the snow than the GSA would.

AT/S Details

GSA Details
  • eastcoastdivereastcoastdiver Member Posts: 14
    I know the BFG 31"x10.50" AT tires are the crowd favorite of this forum but I want to know if I can go a little wider. After doing the conversion (as found on quadratec's website) I found a rough equivalent to a 31"x12.50" tire made by BFG... LT325/60R15. Here is a link to the website:

http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowledgebase/article-15.htm

31" diameter will obviously fit, if it's getting recommended to stock wranglers all over this forum. What mods, if any, need to be done to accomodate the extra 2" of width in the tires I want? I know backspacing plays a large role, as told by Tom in another post to this forum this past spring. Will just a new rim with different backspacing do the trick? or will fenders need to be trimmed?

Thanks, Jackson
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Jackson, I answered this question over there in the other forum (forget now which one it was) where you asked it.

Tom
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?

P.S.

OK, it was "DIY Mods for Under $500" where you asked the ame question and where I posted a reply.
    Jackson, things you can do to fit wider tires:

- adjust steering stop (www.4x4xplor.com/steerstop.html)
    - wheels with smaller backspacing (stock is 5.5")
    - add wheel spacers (like SpiderTrax)
    - combination of all the above

Things you can do to fit taller tires:
    - flat fenders
    - Trim fenders a bit
    - suspension lift
    - body lift
    - combination of all the above

-Paul
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Jeepers often want to go to larger tires as they make modifications to their rigs, either for looks, or for enhanced off road capability.

Fender well clearance is usually the limiting factor in tire diameter for a Wrangler, and this can be addressed by either adding a body lift, a suspension lift, or both. A body lift raises the body off the frame, thus increasing the size of the wheel opening. A suspension lift raises the frame (and the body along with it, of course) above the axles, making larger wheel openings for the bigger tires. It is not recommended that a body lift of more than one inch be installed on your Jeep.

Often, going to larger diameter tires means going to wider tires as well. In some cases, people just want a wider tire, even if they are not going to larger diameter tires. In either case, it is commonly asked. "What is the widest tire that I can put on my Jeep?"

This is where wheel backspacing comes into play. For tires of equal width, the backspacing of the wheels being used determines how close to the frame the tire will run. The higher the backspacing, the more the tires are "pulled in" toward the frame, and the lower the backspacing, the further to the outside, away from the frame, the tires will run. The use of tires too wide for the amount of backspacing of the wheels will cause rubbing of the inside sidewalls of the tires on the spring perches in the rear and on the comtrol arms in the front.

Most factory wheels that are used on Wranglers have 5.5" of backspacing, which is quite a bit. This much backspacing limits the tires to a maximum width of 10.50" Sometimes, even with 10.50" wide tires, the steering stops must have washers installed on them to prevent tire rub at full turn. That is a very simple thing to do and should not stop a person from going with the 10.50" tires.

Backspacing of around 4.0" is good for most tire widths that are commonly used on Jeeps with lifts and larger diameter tires.

Take a look at the diagram below. This should clear up the concept of backspacing for you.

Please, come to the discussion "Jeep Wrangler," which is the general discussion thread for Jeep Wrangler owners. We have a great time in there talking about our Jeeps and the fun we have with them. We always give new folks a warm welcome. There are over 22,000 posts in there, so SOMEBODY must like it. :)

Tom
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?

• oldgoat2oldgoat2 Member Posts: 14
    I have a question that is a different twist on tires. I am not interested in off-road capabilities. My daughter has a 2005 Wrangler, and she wanted it for looks - - not off road abilities. Yes, impractical, but daughters have a way of convincing Dad of things. So, it came with 215/75R15 Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires that are pure garbage. They have been prone to hydro-planing since day one, and are now showing serious tread loss after just 11,000 miles. Probably good that they are worn-out, because they need to be replaced, My question, what is a good quality tire to get as a replacement? I am in Houston, so now neither mud nor snow matter. I want a good wet traction tire that also wears well, quiet, and looks 1/2 way appropriate on a Jeep - - maybe go slightly wider than what I have now. Ideas? Tiretrack general top rated tires does not seem to recommend for Jeep. General Grabber UHP, Kumho Road Venture HT, Yokohama Geolander H/T-S GO51???
    Hi, I've replied to you over here in the Jeep Wrangler forum.
  • diegotexeradiegotexera Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for your help Tom! Still not sure about how much backspacing I actually have on the wheels...American Racing lists their offsets in mm so the corresponding width in inches for -38mm = 1.49" which also doesn't make sense, as they do seem to stick out a bit further than that...and I'm not that car dumb. I'll have to investigate this further by removing the 5th one and measuring. But either way, thanks for your help...and I'll begin looking at the other forum you recommend.

Thanks,

Diego
    ...wave...
  • diegotexeradiegotexera Member Posts: 11
    hey bud...if you find 325/60-15 tires please let me know. I currently have the bald versions on my 98 sahara and I'm looking to replace them...checked with BFG...DISCONTINUED. Now they only make the Mud TA in that size...and I don't want the Mud TA...

QUESTION FOLKS: HOW DOES THE MUD TA COMPARE TO THE ALL TERRAIN IN NOISE, STREET TRACTION AND WET TRACTION?

THANKS ALL,

Diego
    ...life is good ;)
  • shenandacksshenandacks Member Posts: 2
    Sorry if this is a repeat question, I'm new here. I am wondering if I can fit the 32" Goodrich all-terrain tire on my '99 Sahara. My local tire store claims sure no problem but I am questioning their know-how. Please help
    What width? Usually 32s are 12.5" (32x12.5x15) in which case you will have a problem. 31x10.5x15 is pretty much the largest that will comfortably fit while still giving full axle movement, though you may (every Jeep is different) have to fit a couple of washers under the steering stops to stop rubbing at full lock.
    I thought most 32's were 11.5? My 33's are 12.5.

-Paul
    Yes, you're right (finger trouble!) but the answer is the same. 10.5" really is the limit without changing rims or using spacers.

Personally, I prefer a narrower tire generally, and if I was going to a 33" I'd consider a 9.50 or 10.50........... but that's just me. :shades:
  • rowland08rowland08 Member Posts: 7
    I have a stock 1998 Jeep Wrangler with stock rims and tires. I want to put 33" BF Goodwrench All terrain or Mud on the jeep. My questions are: will they fit on stock rims? What type of lift will i need? and will it still fit into a garage?

I was thinking of going with 33x10.5 with 3inch lift. (do i need new rims??)) Either 3inch suspension or Skyjacker 2" Spacer Lift with 1inch body lift.
    I have 33's on my TJ - 1997. They will fit on stock wheels. Most stock wheels from 1998 are 8" wide, but the pizza cutters on the SE's are 7". Which do you have? I have Canyons.

33x10.5's will fit just fine on stock wheels (mine are the 33x12.5" variety). You will need about 3" of total lift to make it happen, so your lift options are good (I like that you are avoiding bigger than 1" on BL).

I, along with mac24 and tsjay, run the OME suspension system, which gives ~2.5-3" of lift (I got 3.25), that with the 1" BL looks and rides great, both on and offroad. However, the OME is a bit pricier, but I firmly believe you get what you pay for. I've heard mixed reviews about Skyjacker. Rubicon Express or OME are the only ones I'd consider for a short arm suspension lift. Long arm is another story and a lot more C-Notes. :)

Here's my 97 with the lift, tires, and wheels.

The size is a great compromise for offroad ability and onroad comfort (and being fairly easy to still get in).

-Paul
    That looks great. thanks for the tips. Thats how i want mine to look like. After i get the lift and tires, i want to add the front and rear bumpers and warn winch. However will yours fit into a garage or do you know the height clearance on your jeep. i need to have mine still fit into the garage so i need some measurements before i invest the money. thanks
    It's basic math really. Measure the height of your Wrangler, subtract it from the height of your opened garage door (not all garages are the same height), and that's the amount you have left to play with.

If you're on 29s now 33s will bring you up 2", then add 3"-3 1/2" for a lift. If you have 6" or more clearance now, you should be good to go.
    Yes, it fits, but the CB antenna whacks the overhang as I go in. Without the antenna I still have a bit of space.

-Paul
  • 4rider4rider Member Posts: 96
    Does the stock 15X5 wheel have enough backspace to clear 33x10.5 tire without rubbing on trails?(assuming there is enough lift).
    Opps, I think I posted my question a little too fast, Tom had answsered this questions a while back.
  • dujeepster13dujeepster13 Member Posts: 1
    Hey there,

I've got a 98 TJ 4.0L with 31x10.50 BFG ATs on stock rims. I just got some black Cragar 342 series 15x8 rims with 4" of backspacing. What's the max tire width I can run on these w/o any kind of lift? (no extra cash for that, lol)

If I do need a body lift, what kind/size is recommended?

Thanks!
    Evan
    Hey Paul i have few questions
    are you saying that i can go up to 33x12.5 on the stock rims if i get enough lift? i thought max tire width on stock rims was 10.5?
    Also you have a total lift of around 4" right? so if i go with just 3" will 33x10.5 fit without rubbing? and the 33x12.5 could fit on stock rims but would rub with just 3" lift?
    I have 4.5" of total lift (3.25" susp and 1.25" BL).

Keep in mind, I DO have stock rims, but I also have 1.25" wheel spacers behind em - which gives me an effective BS of 4.25".

An 8" wheel can handle 12.5" wide tires easily and actually makes a pretty good combination.

I don't know anybody with 33x10.5's so can't really address that, but as long as you have sufficient lift, I would THINK they'd work on the stock wheels with minimal rubbing while turning or when offroad.

Rubbing occurs in 2 places.
    1 - tires to swaybar or spring perches when turning (usually full turning lock).
    2 - tires being stuffed into the wheel wells/fenders when offroading.

1 is usually a function of tire width and backspacing
    2 is usually a function of tire height in relation to lift height.

-Paul
  • jeeprookie3jeeprookie3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Wrangler SE 4WD without lift. It has factory 15" x 7" Styled Steel wheels with P215/75R15 Goodyear Wrangler.

Can I change to 17" by 7 1/2" Chrome Wheels without lift?
    The tires I would like on the wheels would be either
    1)Goodyear Fortera P245/65R17 or
    2)Goodyear Eagle P255/60R17.

Will these wheels and tires work? and if so what is the best option or is there another option? (note: FYI, the wheels I'm getting free from my brother so I can't change wheels).
    Thanks.
    Assuming that the mounting holes and backspacing are the same as your present wheels there shouldn't be a problem. The tires you want aren't an extreme size and it doesn't matter if the hole in the middle is 15" or 17".

Eagles are a performance on-road tire, but if you stay on-road that's not a problem. ;)
  • jeepgurljeepgurl Member Posts: 3
    I'm a newbie to four wheeling and I need an answer to a question about tires. I have a 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited that came from the factory with LT245/75R16 tires 30x9.5
    I want to beef it up a little and put bigger tires on it. I was thinking going maybe 32's or 33's do I need to lift my Jeep for tires that big? I have Dana 44 heavy-duty front and rear axles if that matters. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    For 33's you'll need a 3" lift. A 2" suspension plus a 1" body is the usual way to go. 31"x10.5" is the max otherwise.
    Thanks for the response. Do you know of any good web sites that might have some decent literature on lift kits?
    Your best bet is to check out the various jeep forums out there.

Many love the OME (Mac24, tsjay, and I all have it) for its onroad ride (many say better than stock, I agree), and it's nice flexing capabilities offroad. It is pricier, but with lifts, you often get what you pay for.

Rubicon Express is another good one. I've also heard many good comments about Rusty's Offroad (located here in AL) having a nice ride and flex.

Keep in mind, if you go bigger than 3-4", you have to worry about other issues (drivelines, steering geometry, etc), so a 2-3" suspension lift with a 1" body lift will be a GREAT way to get that Rubicon up in a decent manner.

-Paul
  • karlw90karlw90 Member Posts: 59
    Jeepgurl, great timing. I was browsing the Jeep forums just for the question you had!
    I have a Jeep Unlimited and also want to "beef" it up. I was also considering 33" tires.
    A few more questions:
    - Why a 2" suspension lift and 1" body? Why not just a 3" suspension?
    - Any issues with driving at higher speeds (60-70mph) with a lift like this?
    - If I went 33 I was considering the BFG All-Terrain. Any opinions?
    - AND.. last but not least, for those of you who had your Jeep lifted, what was the overall cost? I'm in the Chicago area...

Thanks!
    :)
    Thanks alot Paul for the useful information. Boy I sure have a lot to learn.. :)
    :shades:
    That's why we're here. Ask anything else you need to know! :)

-Paul
    Karl, as mac and I mentioned previously, there are factors to consider with going to a larger suspension lift.

- You may have your axles shift to one side more
    - You may have to change your pitman arm, which alters the steering geometry and can lead to more uncontrollable steering (death wobble)
    - If you go too big on the suspension lift, the control arms will be too short. The stock control arms are good to about 3" or 4", but any larger, and you REALLY need to go long arm or run the risk of an unstable/uncomfortable Jeep.
    - Cost
    - Center of gravity

A 2.5" lift or so will cost a bit less (normally) and minimally impact axle centering and steering geometries. Also, if you think of the control arms as the radius of a circle, with a smaller lift, the axles and wheels rotate down and 'in' towards each other. A higher lift will bring them in a bit more, leading to a possibly harsher ride. A SWB TJ is bumpy enough. :D

Larger lifts will impact them more.

While a 2.5" lift will fit 32's no problem, 33's will really fit nicely with that 1" Body lift, and 33's are about the ideal size for a daily driven Unlimited, IMO.

That body lift also keep the frame lower, giving a better center of gravity (lower). That will help stability in turns. A body lift also opens the door for other mods, such as a tummy tuck to raise the transmission.

As for the cost of the lift, I did the work all myself, but I bought the DPGOffroad Basic kit, and have since pieced together the body lift, motor lift, adjustable trackbars front and rear (to recenter the axles), and the quick disconnects for the sway bar for offroad articulation. That would be the ultimate kit on Dirk's www.dpgoffroad.com site.

If you guys end up using him, just let him know Paul in Alabama referred ya. I don't get any discounts from him, but I like to let him know I'm keeping my word of letting people know about his EXCELLENT service and products. My entire suspension and lift is from him, as are all my headlights and driving lights (IPF).

Even with my TJ being a 4cylinder, I have NO problems at highway speeds (up to about 78 or so).

33" BFG AT's would be great for Chicago, but I'm not sure how well they handle winter snow/ice. I hear the Mud Terrains actually handle it better and I know a LOT of people who use the BFG MT's on their TJ. While they may be a bit noisier, I kinda like the road noise my Jeep makes. I have TrXuS Mud Terrains, but ran the 30" variety of the BFG AT's prior to that.

And before you ask, the quick disconnects allow better articulation offroad and give better flex, like this:

-Paul
    Thanks to Paul for such detailed posting on the topic. I am still undecided on which kind of lift/tire mod to go. But more and more I am leanling toward OME kit which I think can be a relative permanent solution for me since I dont think I will go beyond 33" tires for obvious monetary concern. Couple of more questions assuming the setup is OME 2 1/2 lift + 1"BL and 33" tires:

1) Will my stock 3.73 gears(4.0L/auto)be good enough for the much heavier 33" tires? Currerntly I have the stock 30" tires and I feel the power is very good.

2) the stock wheel lug toque is at 90lb(I think). Do we stick with the same torque spec when switching to a larger and heavier tire??
    You'll probably be happier by stepping up a ratio or two. However, it won't be undrivable on 3.73s, so try it and see but expect a reduction in acceleration. Weight of the tires has nothing to do with any possible requirement for changing the axle ratio, it's all to do with the increased diameter of the tire and therefore the final gearing.

Lug nut torque will remain the same. It's related to size, construction, and loading of the wheel rims and the location hardware.
    Wow Paul, thanks MUCH for all the information. I feel much more comfortable going with the lift when I have this information.

One other question - probably a silly one - but.. did you get 4 33" tires and keep the stock on the back, or did you get 5? Also, if I kept the stock as my spare, and a 33 went flat, what - if any - harm would it do to my Jeep to drive on 3 33" and one 30 to the nearest tire shop?? (besides looking extremely dumb).

Thanks again!
    This is another 1000+ dollar question I have too. The 5th tire upgrade to say 33", will most likely become a 5th tire/wheel + a new rear bumper with tire carrier which is obvious a big tiget item.
    Using a 31" tire and a 33" tire on the same axle will cause expensive problems in a very short time if you have an LSD, and just a short time if you don't! :)

Differentials like to work for short periods at a time only.

Regarding the bumper issue, you can get an adapter to move the spare up and out on the standard tire carrier. However, your solution is the best one long term.
    3.73 will be lugging a bit. I have a 2.5/5 speed and I went from 4.10 to 4.88. If I were you, I'd consider 4.56 as a good gear ratio. 4.88 would be good for you if you were going to 35's, but 33's and 4.56 with the auto is a good matchup with the 4.0L.

-Paul
    I got the 5th tire. If I EVER have to change a tire on the trail, the tire needs to be same size, or as mac said, I'll grenade the diff/locker due to the different diameter tires turning at different rates.

Spend the $$ at the beginning and do it right or pay $$$$$$ and fix it to the right way later.

Seriously. I'm not trying to be a wise alec, but different size tires is BAD for vehicles.

-Paul
    I went with the Jeeperman rear tire/carrier combination. Prior to the 33's I had just the basic bumper, but when I got 33's, I had to do SOMETHING.

I got a Teraflex spare tire relocator from Bob Supplee in OKC for about 25.00 or so and it moved the tire up/out so it cleared the bumper. Problem is, it wasn't up against the gate, so I ran the risk of weakening the gate itself. It was a stopgap fix until I got the carrier, which works SOOO much better.

I got a deal from the vendor where he credited me basically the plain bumper price and I returned it to him. He sent me one with the hinge pin for the carrier and a full carrier for just the difference between the two bumpers. :)

-Paul
    "3.73 will be lugging a bit. I have a 2.5/5 speed and I went from 4.10 to 4.88. If I were you, I'd consider 4.56 as a good gear ratio"

Is it(chaning gears) a possible do-it-your-self item with no experiece and only regular tools?
    Is it(chaning gears) a possible do-it-your-self item.....

Yes.

........with no experiece and only regular tools?

No.
    x2.

You could do it, but if you do it wrong, you'll grenade the differential. Spend the $$ and find a good installer. A local 4x4 club could probably point you in the direction of a good installer (perhaps even a club member who works cheap).

-Paul
    Well, it looks like my budget for getting new tires + a lift is a little more expensive.
    - 5 new 32x11.5 BFG AT's, plus installation
    - 2.5" OME lift plus installation
    - Bestop Oversize Tire Carrier - I may try and install myself.

I think I'm going with the 32" tires and a 2.5 lift rather than 33"'s.

OK - so now one more question about backspacing. It seems like there's 2 was to do it: Either a new rim comes with its own backspacing, or if you stay with the stock rims you do your own backspacing with washers. So, if I'm going from 30x9.5 tires to 32x11.5 tires:
    - 1. If I stick with my stock rims, what backspacing is needed, and do most tire places agree to do this during the installation of the new tires.
    - 2. If I buy new rims, I see many come with their "own" backspacing. I'm assuming this means I wouldn't need the washers. What backspacing should I get on a new rim?

thanks again for you help, I really appreciate. After this I think I got all my questions answered and will get going on the lift!