Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler Tires and Wheels

Comments

• mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    .........or if you stay with the stock rims you do your own backspacing with washers.

Arrgh..................no, no, no, please no! :surprise:

Go to post #14 (or click here) to understand backspacing.

If you want to change backspacing change the wheels or use a properly engineered spacer. Never space out the wheels with washers!

The only time washers are used is for limiting the steering travel to prevent tires rubbing at full lock. In that case they're placed behind the steering stops on the knuckles.

Check out that post (#14) by Tom, it explains things very clearly.
  • tecker2tecker2 Member Posts: 3
    I'm thinking about going from 215/70/R15's to 31 inch tires. I also was thinking about a 2 inch suspension lift for a more agressive look. 1) Would the susp. lift just be a waste of $$.. 2) Would there be much if any impact with engine sluggishness with the 31"s. 3) Would this scenario mess with drivetrain, create "death wooble" etc.
    2002 Wrangler Sport, 4.0, Auto, new to me Jeep! Will be buying new rims and tires.
    1: No.

2: Some, but minimal.

3: Not as long as you plan for the possibility for a motor mount lift (or transfer case drop) if necessary.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    1: No.

2: Some, but minimal.

3: Not as long as you plan for the possibility for a motor mount lift (or transfer case drop) if necessary.

What mac said, but to expand. 31's should fit with no problem on your stock suspension. BUT, a 2" lift will set you up if you want to go up to 32's down the road. 31's will still look nice with a 2" lift and you'll have lotsa room for flex.

It is not a waste as you do get a nicer tire/aggressive look with that lift.

You shouldn't have a vibe problem with that lift, but a motor mount lift will really cure that (that is one way to fix the potential problem, and probably the cheapest unless you want to lower the t-case, which seems backwards to me). Death wobble again shouldn't be an issue, but each Jeep is different. If you ensure all steering linkages are secure like they are supposed to be, your tires are well balanced, and your steering geometry is relatively stock, you should be good.

-Paul
  • karlw90karlw90 Member Posts: 59
    Ooops! :surprise: I actually had read Tom's post before, but I mixed up the washer thing for the backspacing instead of the steering stop.

After deciding with 32" tires, I'm just going with a 2" lift. I'm assuming that is all I need.

Also, after reading Tom's post, and an article on TireRack, I'm still a little confused about backspacing. Assuming the stock rims on the Jeep have 5.5 backspacing (I know I read that somewhere), if I go from 30x9.5 to 32x11.5, does that mean I need an additional 2" of backspacing, meaning I want a rim with 3.5" backspacing? Or do I want 7.5"? Or does it even matter??

Thanks!
    No, you don't need an additional 2" of BS. Remember, your tires are 1" wider on the outside, and 1" wider on the inside. So if you really wanted to compensate for that 1", you would want 3.5" of BS. That is a VERY low BS amount IMO. 3.75 to 4.25" is about ideal for that setup. I have 4.25" of BS on my stock Canyons, but I added the SpiderTrax wheel spacers. It took the 5.5" and reduced the effective backspacing 1.25" to 4.25" and they work just fine. These are not washers. Do a Yahoo or Google search and you'll see what they are.

5.5" BS and 32x11.5's will rub when you turn. You can adjust the steering stops by adding washers to THEM, as described at http://www.4x4xplor.com/steerstop.html.

Here are the SpiderTrax spacers, as installed on my rear drums:

-Paul
    Thanks for the complete info, I appreciate that. Seems like the jeepers out there really are into building their own. Now for the bad news, found out today from the dealer that they want to put in a new front axle. The local jeep guys say I can just get a fabricator and put in one new front right axle mount. (The jeep was hit from the side and bent the axle mount) I've been on the internet now for the last two hours, looking for front TJ axle mount brackets, but not coming close. Any ideas out there? Yes, the whole axle is shifted over, but someone did on hell of an alignment, ;cause it drives straight!
    Now for the bad news, found out today from the dealer that they want to put in a new front axle.

I don't remember your tire and lift question relating to an accident, but why is getting a new axle bad news? Unless you have no insurance I'd jump at it. There could well be internal damage associated with the impact, but it may not be apparent for a few thousand miles. Unless the axle housing has been stripped and measured you can't tell that it's still straight.

However, assuming that the housing is straight and is internally undamaged, it's no big deal to cut off, straighten, then reweld a mounting bracket. It just requires careful measuring.

Most aftermarket axle suppliers (like Currie) carry rear brackets and you may be able to modify one of those, but straightening the bent one or just fabricating a new one would probably be more cost effective.
    Like Mac said, free axle? GO FOR IT!

ask em for a D44 front axle from a Rubicon! Just make sure they have the same gearing as the rear.

Dana 30's are stock, but if you can manage a Rubicon D44, that'd be sweet. You can also possibly work it out to get Super 30 shafts, which are stronger than the stock shafts. Use this opportunity to go with stronger u-joints too, and you'll be much better off should you decide to venture offroad with it.

Remember, there are no accidents - just opportunities to mod and upgrade! :)

-Paul
    Thanks again guys. Unfortunately this was undisclosed damage, so it is on my dime. So, I think I'll just try to fix it (add better axle mounts? and control arms?) and then wait to see if anything goes bad in the next year or so. Then start upgrading parts. I did find front axle mounts at Tellico4x4.com and a whole kit at Northridge4x4.com.

Paul, I like the philosophy, "opportunities to mod and upgrade" That works for me. :)
  • kgabehurtkgabehurt Member Posts: 84
    I'm new to this board but would like someone to explain to me if the following scenario is possible. I'm looking at an 07' Wrangler Sahara (2-door) 4WD. The wheel setup includes 18" Aluminum rims and P255/170R 18 tires. I noticed on the Unlimited Sahara (4-door) model the rims/wheels are: 17" aluminum rims and P255/17R17 tires. The wider tires look BETTER. My question is can one get the wider tires on a Sahara but in 18" height? In other words the best of both worlds?
    You can only get whatever options are available. If you want a Sahara with 18" wheels but and a wider tire, then order a Sahara with the 18" wheels option (if that's available, I haven't checked) and while you wait for it to arrive, check with local tire dealers to arrange trading in your new 18" tires for some larger ones. Most tire shops will do this.

If this is a vehicle on a dealer's lot, I'm sure you can negotiate with the dealer to get what you want, but I doubt that it'll be cheap.
  • kgabehurtkgabehurt Member Posts: 84
    If I did in fact do what you suggested doesn't that imply that I'd have to buy wider rims also? I don'k know much about tires but most rims only accomodate one size tire (width-wise) don't they? Thank you for your suggestion mac24.
    No, each rim width supports a range of sizes. The different tire manufacturer's sites normally indicate which width rims are suitable for any particular size of tire.
  • ufo945ufo945 Member Posts: 2
    I'm a new one here. Today I put $500 deposit for my new 2007 2-Door Wrangler X. I will do two upgrades, 3" suspension lift and change tire and wheel to 33X12.5R15(or LT305/70R16). My question is that the backspacer is big enough for this tire? Why Jeep can not offer 8--10" width rim. The widthest rim Jeep offer just 7.5". Thank for your help
  • bushmaster1bushmaster1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi i have a year 1993 jeep wrangler and i was wondering if i can put 32ich tires on it with out lifting it?
    Can you? Yes.
    Is it optimal for offroading? No.

Consider suspension flex and tires will rub w/o a proper lift. Also, depending on tire width and wheel backspacing, you will likely have rubbing when turning on the road (usually near or at full turn).

-Paul
  • soph321soph321 Member Posts: 2
    Hey everyone. I have a 99 Sahara. It's got a small lift in it, and I was wondering what size tires I could get without worrying about rubbing. I was hoping to get 33's. What does a stock Wranger get without rubbing? I only ask because I did not put the lift in, so I wanna be sure it wont rub. Thanks.
    Questions:

What size lift is it? Pics would help. If tall enough, 33's will fit vertically and be okay offroad when flexing and stuffing the tires up into the fender.

What kind of wheels do you have? If they are stock, you will have issues rubbing at full lock/turn. If they are aftermarket, you're probably better off as they likely have less than the 5.5" of backspacing (smaller number = less 'tucked in' they are).

If you have a shorter lift, say around 3" total, you CAN run 33's, but you may want to extend the bumpstop so they don't fully stuff into the fender when offroad. Otherwise, you risk the tires getting sliced by the metal or the tires destroying the flares/fenders.

I have 4.5" total lift (3.25" suspension and 1.25" body) and run 33's without any problems. I have 4.25" of backspacing and only have a bit of rubbing when offoad at full turn and when flexed.

-Paul
  • soph321soph321 Member Posts: 2
    Cool thanks. I actually don't know how big the lift is, it only looks like an inch or two inches tops. I bought it with the lift already installed. So until I get a bigger lift, I'm going to guess that I'll go smaller. I have American Racing Rims on it, could I at least go with a wider tire?
    With the wider tire, you still have to worry about rubbing the control arms and/or frame when making a tight turn. Given that you have AR wheels, you MIGHT be okay, as they usually have 4.25" or so of backspacing MAX (though there are probably exceptions).

Sounds like you may just have a budget boost. Do you have spacers on top of the springs at all 4 corners? Pics of the suspension components and/or pics of the body/frame mounting points would help me figure out your height and I could provide better ideas then.

-Paul
  • romefenceromefence Member Posts: 1
    Looking to add a 3" lift and 35"x12.5X17 tires to new 4 dr. Will probably have dealer do this. Anything I need to know? Anything else I would need added? Will the 6 cyl. have enough power? Will 2008 have a 8cyl option?
  • jeepincarnatejeepincarnate Member Posts: 2
    I just put my order in today for an '08 Sahara. While I'd love to go hog wild with mods, I've heard horror stories of the complexity of lifting the 4 drs. Also, it has to function as a daily driver (all excuses for "the wife won't let me").

So, here is my question:

What is the largest sized tire and wheel package I can throw under this pup without any rubbing? Does anyone know where I can find rims? (I doubt they've revolutionized their wheel specs for '08, but I can't seem to find any dealers that carry what I'm looking for online). Ideally, I want powder coat black rims between 17 and 18" with 31 or 32"rs. If anyone knows of any pitfalls with this set-up, or if I can safely go bigger, please alert me.

Thanks!
  • sah538sah538 Member Posts: 3
    After talking to a tire dealer about putting 31 inch tires on my TJ he told me that they would rub the control arms but it could be done anyways. Is it not a good idea to go with the 31's on a stock jeep?
  • jeepincarnatejeepincarnate Member Posts: 2
    I had 31's on my 98 stock TJ, they definitely rubbed . . . alot. It cut my turn radius down considerably, but after a while I got used to it. They looked great and fit on my factory rims, which was a plus, but in retrospect a lift would have been a better first investment. The larger tires also threw my speedometer off resulting in couple of tickets in strictly patrolled areas. I would recomment having that adjusted as well.
    31" tall tires are NOT the culprit in the rubbing. It is the WIDTH of the tire, most likely 10.5 vs the 'stock' 30x9.5 available with the Sport models.

You can fix this problem in a few ways:
    1. Make steering stop adjustments as shown at 4x4xplor.com's website
    2. Go with wheels with less backspacing than the stock 5.5" that come on most Jeeps (other than Rubicons).
    3. Add wheel spacers. I run 1.25" Spidertrax spacers on my stock Jeep Canyon wheels so I have an effective backspacing of 4.25". They stick out a bit more. I have 33x12.5" tires.

31" tall tires are more likely rub when flexing offroad and stuff a bit into the fender well. Proper fix for that is to adjust the bumpstops located 'inside' the spring at the top. If you look at that area, you'll see what I mean.

When I put my 33's on, I also regeared my differentials from 4.10 to 4.88 (2.5L engine here). That combination of 4.88, 33's and my transmission actually made my speedo MORE accurate than it was previously (I had gone from the stock 28" tires to 30" tires prior to the 33's).

Getting the speedo set back to accurate will require you to know your tire size and your current differential gearing. Look at this information and you can tell which speedo gear you'd need.

http://www.raingler.com/jeepReference/speedoChart.html

A lift does nothing more than allow to fit those bigger tires. If you only want to go to 31's, a lift isn't required. Having said that, Jeeps do LOOK better when lifted a bit and they perform even better offroad when lifted as you have better clearance under the axles with those larger tires.

-Paul
  • jaigohiljaigohil Member Posts: 1
    With a 17'' rim whats the largest tire i can fit without rubbing ca anyone help?
    Rim size is irrelevant, except to the pocketbook.

For fitment, you need to consider the overall tire diameter (32, 33", etc) and the wheels backspacing. Backspacing refers to the wheel's offset and how far in or out the wheel sits in relation to the rest of the Jeep.

TJ's stock offset is 5.5". I added 1.25" spacers to mine to reduce the offset to 4.25". As a result, the lower backspacing sticks the wheel out further. I'm not sure what the offset is on your JK's wheels, but if you have a stock height JK, you can probably run 32's or 33's w/o lifting. At least that is what I THINK I've heard.

-Paul
  • jim03tjjim03tj Member Posts: 2
    As a new member I have been reading the posts and I do believe I have the "death wobble" on my 03 sport. What causes this and how do i fix it? I have 3" spring spacers, 32x12.5 mickeys on 15x10 rims, (back spacing is 4.5). I had to change out the stock shocks, and steering stableiser. Would the dropped pitman arm eliminate this, or is it something else ? I am looking to get a set of 33x12.5's in the next week or so, but I dont want the same problem with the wobble. Any help would be great, thanks
  • yjbobyjbob Member Posts: 56
    There are many posts about death wobble in the main Jeep forum. Often it comes from anything being loose in the steering system. Have a buddy move the steering wheel slowly back and forth while you look underneath for any signs of looseness. Good luck.
  • jim03tjjim03tj Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice,I did have a buddy of mine look for looseness, and we found none as far as drag link, ball joints,etc. Since my last post I did change out the pitman arm. the wobble seems to be gone, but now I have another problem. When I first tried to get the pitman arm off, I used a pickle fork. After beating on the pickle fork the pitman arm didn't drop, but the shaft out of the steering box did !!! about 1/4". I then used a pitman puller to get it off. Now with the steering shaft lowered, I have slop in the wheel. Is there some way to adjust for the slop or did I just wreck the steering box ? My steering wheel is not straight as well. Should I have adjusted the drag link ? thanks, Jim
  • disney1971disney1971 Member Posts: 1
    Hey Tom (or anyone else out there) can you help a new jeeper? I just bought a 1990 6cyl Islander and wanted to do some mods to it. I was looking at a body lift and some wider tires but am unsure about the hieght of the lift and size of the tire. I want to be able to do the off roading as well as the drive around town. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Disney :D
    I can't address the lift specifics because I'm not accustomed to leaf springs vs coils, but you should be able to do a 2-3" shackle lift for an easy lift. You can also do a SOA (spring over axle) lift but that will cost more I think. As for tires, I think with either of those plus a body lift, you could easily fit 33's, but a lot will depend on the wheel's backspacing. You'll want wheels with about 4" of backspacing (factory TJ wheels are about 5.5") so they stick out a bit further to allow turning and flex offroad.

Check out some of the online vendors and I'm sure you'll find something you can use. I just don't know enough about YJ suspension manufacturers to tell you specifically what would be best for you.

Then you have to factor in budget. You can go TOTALLY crazy with it too. :)

-Paul
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Well, I can't say enough good things about the Radial Rover RVXT tires that I fitted to my 1999 Sahara. The tires are all-season but also carry the severe winter service "Snowflake on the Mountain" rating. My gravel farm road got hit with over 12" of snow this weekend and the old Jeep negotiated the entire 1/2 mile in 2WD with no drama whatsoever. Ditto for the snow covered public roads. The RVXT isn't a serious off-road tire, but it merits consideration if your primary concern is being able to handle wintry weather.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• xbankerxbanker Member Posts: 1
    New guy here. Searched past posts; couldn't find question with my exact specs, but would like to verify what I think I've learned by reading.

My car: 2003 Jeep Wrangler X (TJ). Totally stock (no lift etc) including the OEM tires/wheels: P225/75R/15 (Goodyear Wrangler GS-A tires).

I'd like to put 30x9.50x15 tires on it keeping original rims, and would leave the Jeep stock. My reading here makes me think this would not create problems, e.g. clearance, rubbing etc. Would some kind soul please confirm.

If it's relevant, my off-road driving is so mild, it would probably make most of you snicker, and I do occasionally tow small trailer/ATV; gross weight ~625 lbs.

Thanks very much!

Dan
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I'd like to put 30x9.50x15 tires on it keeping original rims, and would leave the Jeep stock. My reading here makes me think this would not create problems, e.g. clearance, rubbing etc. Would some kind soul please confirm.

Those tires will work fine as long as your rims are 6.5 to 8 inches wide.

If it's relevant, my off-road driving is so mild, it would probably make most of you snicker

Not me; I only use my Jeep to haul the dog around and provide guaranteed access to my farm road regardless of the weather.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Dan, complete NON-issue. 30x9.5 is the size tire offered on the Sport package. Your stock wheels on the X model are 15x88's with about 5.5" of backspacing, much like the Canyons I run. I ran 30x9.5 BFG All Terrain's for a long time with ZERO issue. They are decent offroad unless you have seriously thick mud like we have here in the south.

Just do NOT get the GS-A's again. BFG AT's (or even MT's) would be a great choice for your Jeep. They are very capable offroad yet have good tire wear on the street.

-Paul
  • dtkaczykdtkaczyk Member Posts: 3
    I have a 95 wrangler. At speeds of 60-65 it is fine until I hit a bump. It then vibrates terribly. It will not stop until I slow down considerally. It will be fine again until I hit another bump. Could the damper be the problem?
    The steering stabilizer/damper only masks problems.

Do you have a lift? What size tires?

I'd check all joints in your steering and ensure they are all solid. I'd also consider verifying balance and alignment as those CAN contribute to your problem.

-Paul
    I just bought the Rubicon Express 2" lift kit and I believe I will be going with 32x11.15 tires. Obviously if I go with a spare of the same size, it won't fit on my current spare tire carrier.

There's tons of options out there, but I don't want to have to install a separate swing gate, etc... just to store one tire. I noticed there are some Spare Tire "Spacers" that push your tire out 2" from the gate so it doesn't touch the rear bumper.

Two questions - has anyone one here gone with this and has it worked out?? And more importantly.. what happens with the rear brake light with these? It doesn't seem any of the spacers and/or carriers address the fact that the brake light will be in the way or blocked with the larger tire.
    I tried one. It will raise and push out your tire. Result is that you have to bumpstop the tire against the gate with some kind of spacer as well. If not, vibrations will make your gate's life MUCH shorter. I did NOT like it.

As for the 3rd brake light, you could probably leave it as it sits, or you could remove it, add a few washers to move it up in height, and have it work fine.

I opted for a 3rd party tire carrier as I was going with aftermarket bumpers anyway for offroad use. Provided stronger tire support and body protection. The 3rd brake light is incorporated into the wheel holder (where the center cap usually is).

-Paul
    If I can move up the brake light an inch, and buy a bumper that has a "dip" in it to allow for the extra tire length, can't I just us the OEM tire carrier?
    Technically, yes.

But consider this - how much does that 32x11.5 weigh? Believe me, it is more than you think. That weight, over time WILL affect the hinges and sheet metal holding the tailgate on. Over time, it WILL sag. Maybe not as fast because it rests on the bumper, but opening it up removes that support.

The Bestop Tire Carrier actually attaches to the tub, reinforces it, and attaches to the door, so there is no separate carrier to open - it opens with the door. It was actually my first choice for tire carrier before I opted to go with an offroad bumper/carrier combination. Plus it will work up to a 35" tire AND it uses the OEM 3rd brake light setup. So it can grow with you and the Jeep's size, if you opt to do that.

-Paul
  • tracy3999tracy3999 Member Posts: 10
    Im starting to have the Bad Death wobble!!! I have 2004 jeep wrangler sport.. It does not have a lift kit on it.. the only thing the tires are a little bigger than the orginal once that came with the jeep!! My jeep only has 18,000 miles on it!! When i first bought it i had know problems with it, after a month or so.. it has started to bounce out of control just when i hit 50, 55 miles an hour!! Im sooo sad i love my jeep and not sure what the problem is.. i have heard many people talk about the death wobble but know one really knows why.. or gives a real solution why this is happening !! I have just dropped it off to a jeep dealer and they said that they have never heard of this problem!! Great .. i can only imagine what this is going to cost me!!! Is their any one out their that can give me a reason not a run around? Thank you soooo much.. Please help..
    There are a lot of posts on this and the Jeep Wrangler thread about 'death wobble'.

If you are not lifted, I would suspect either the tires are seriously out of balance and/or alignment. Easy fix - get em balanced and aligned or replace with better tires. Other causes may be loose steering components (tie rod, drag link, etc). If the dealer hasn't heard of death wobble, chances are you should find another dealer to work with. It can happen. Another possibility could be the tie rod ends and the holes they mount into are not as tight as they should be.

You may also want to make sure your control arms and shocks are all in good order. A competent mechanic should be able to find loose or worn steering components.

-Paul
  • sgreer721sgreer721 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue with the shaking at 50-55 mph. '04 Wrangler w/Rocky Mountain package, no lift kit or modifications. I had the steering damper replaced at 39,000 miles and it was fine. Now at 51,000 miles, it is starting to do it again. The alignment is fine, tires are balanced. The mechanic at the Jeep dealer now says its my tires (Goodyear Wrangler GS-A) and not my steering damper. Same tires since day one. I have asked them to check bushings, tie rods, etc and they shake their head at me with that "you are a girl so you have no idea what you are talking about" look. :mad: Anyone else have problems with these tires or does Jeep just make shoddy steering dampers?
    Steering dampeners/stabilizers only mask the issue and will not be the cause.

The GSA's COULD be a problem as some tires just come the factory out of round and no balancing or aligning will stop that.

Checking the bushings, TRE's, and all joints in the steering for looseness (including the trackbar mount on the frame) are all valid things to check.

Get rid of those GSA's and get some BFG AT's (if you're staying on road) and hopefully things will be better.

-Paul
  • sahara991sahara991 Member Posts: 1
    This is my 1st jeep..99 sahara. It came with mud tires that are pretty well spent & want to put something that is good for road mostly, not so noisy & rough, it has 16" rims & 3" lift on it. What do you suggest???
  • matt1320matt1320 Member Posts: 20
    My '00 TJ was ordered with optional 30x9.50 R-15 GY GSA's on 15x8 alloy wheels. The factory tires were making "growling" noise and thumping when at cruising speed. Problem was diagnosed by mechanic, and concurred by tire dealer, as broken belts in 3 of 4 tires on ground. The GSA's slipped in the rain and offered no traction in the snow. The GSA's were replaced at 32,000 mi. in 2-'03 with 31x10.50 R-15 BFG AT K/O's (including spare). The BFG's were chosen due to positive experience with them on my previous '92 YJ. The 31's fit the TJ well, only minor tire rub on lower control arm when at full turn lock. Four 31's were replaced in12-'07 at 90,000 mi(balance & rotate at each oil change). It is a reasonable compromise to a highway tire and a mud tire. It also meets the Rubber Manufacturer's Assoc. Severe Snow Condition criteria and wears the mountain/snowflake badge on the side wall. Other tires that have this rating are the Goodyear Fortera TripleTred, General Grabber AT2, and ProComp All Terrain. Steering stabilizer and shock absorbers begin to fade around 50,000 miles. If not doing anything "extreme", the premium Gabriel or Monroe units will be a marked improvement over stock. Hope my rant helps.
    My experience has been the same. Factory fitted 30x9.50 R-15 GY GSAs replaced at 30K with 31x10.50 R-15 BFG AT K/Os which will shortly be replaced at 90K. My rotation and balance schedule has also been every 3K

An excellent tire on virtually all surfaces, on and off road, wet or dry, except for deep or squishy mud.