Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestar Transmission Problems

Comments

• doodlealldaydoodleallday Member Posts: 31
    Has anyone filed and/or received reimbursement for previous transmission replacement?
  • gobamagobama Member Posts: 16
    I contacted Ford this week and was told that information on this would be sent out the second quarter of this year. Meaning we should receive something on this by the end of June. I also received a recall letter from Ford that gave this same information. I am going to contact them in July if I have not heard anything.
    Thank you, I guess I will wait at least until the end of June.
  • robert2012robert2012 Member Posts: 1
    I had my 05 towed to my Ford dealer. I was told it needed a new transmission. I called around and found a Aamco shop with a former Ford tech who told me it might be the torque converter. I had it towed there and got it fixed without needing to have a new transmission. If you had the same power loss problem and were told by a Ford dealer you needed a new transmission, you should be entitled to a full refund. That's just my opinion, based on my own experience.
  • jannesidjannesid Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the info. I guess I have to get on the phone everyday too. Our torque converter was replaced over a year ago and now is going out again. Worried to get it replaced and drive it until Ford comes up with a solution, which doesn't seem to be happening quickly. Supposed to go on vacation end of June. Wow, not sure what to do.
  • bj24fanbj24fan Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2012
    FORD

Found
    On
    Road
    Dead

I have the same problem that most of ya'll have. I was driving down the road last week when something went out in my transmisson. I had just gotten off I-75 about 10 miles from home and stopped for a traffic light, when I tried to take off my van would not go. It was like I shifted it into neutral, lucky for me I was in front of a wal-greens so I was able to pull off the road into a safe place. I had my van towed to my dealer, where it is sitting waiting on the transmisson tech to "get to it", And from whoms pocket will this cost? I found my recall notice that I received in the mail marked March 2012, now I'm afraid that I will be stuck with a "dead" van until the replacement parts are ready. Sticker Price for this van was $36,000 bought it new in April 2004 right off the showroom floor, I wont ever make that mistake again!!
  • shocked1shocked1 Member Posts: 85
    As I posted before. we received RECALL NOTICE, THINK in April. It said in JUNE Id receive forms for reinbursement . Im hoping they'll have to replace the NEW built part. Seems they'd have to cause it was just manufactured, and been waiting on it to be made. good luck. :lemon:
  • lhatchellhatchel Member Posts: 15
    My transmission was replaced in July 2009. I am still awaiting a recall notice. This is the response I received from my local Ford Dealer when inquiring about the recall:

Unfortunately Ford has still not updated this recall with a complete recall
    procedure. The last date posted on any changes to the recall notice from Ford
    was March 16, 2012. Until Ford finalizes and post the recall we have no
    procedure to follow for repairs or refunds.
    According to the advance notice we have, Ford was forced by NHTSA to send an
    advance letter of a forth coming recall. I am sorry for any frustration this may
    be causing for you, but we are waiting along with the consumer for answers.
  • jayman8200jayman8200 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2012
    how many people have recieved recall notices? i havent gotten one yet. Also did anyone have any trouble with it making like a loud clicking/grinding noise when accelerating with a loss of power while it was doing that before it went out? mine started doing that on saturday and getting worse everyday. I am thinking it is due to the torque converter. going to call ford today to see what they say.
    We got the recall notice but, we are still waiting to hear from Ford on how they are handling reinbursement of money for repairs already done. According to the recall letter this information will be sent out during the second quarter which, we are in now and ends on June 30th.
  • brokefreestarbrokefreestar Member Posts: 2
    The Transmission and PCM went out on our 2006 Freestar; coolant and steering leak also, with additionals.

Any word on a recall?
  • jhertvikjhertvik Member Posts: 1
    I received a notice in March for my 2004 Freestar. The recall #s are the following:

Ford Safety Recall Notice 11S25
    NHTSA Recall 12V-006

My transmission went out in 2009 driving down I-90 at ~65 MPH. Thought I heard a pop before I lost power but was able to coast to the side of the road to get out of the way of traffic. Got towed to the dealer where they charged several thou$and to fix. First thing they said when I brought the car in was "You got an extended warranty on this thing?" Knew I was in trouble.

The thing that amazed me about this was Ford's attitude when I complained. "We have no evidence of any problems, blah, blah, blah." But then they told me that they rely on the DEALER to make the call as to whether the owner should be reimbursed for the repair. According to Ford, they had no control over giving me a refund at all. Ford defers to the dealer in these situations. When I went to the dealer, I couldn't even talk to the Service Manager and they put me on to the tech who fixed it and he got all defensive about it. Couldn't get through to the Service Manager.

Then the tech said something even more interesting. He said he checked the records and that they might have been able to do something for me but I hadn't been a "loyal customer". They expected me to bring the car in for all my routine maintenance, oil changes, and other work. If I had been a loyal customer, maybe they could do something but since I wasn't...

So it basically came down to...the lousy transmission was my fault. They weren't going to stand behind their product because I hadn't stood behind them.

After a couple of weeks of banging my head against the wall, I wrote an email to every executive at Ford outlining the situation and basically telling them they sucked and I would never EVER buy a Ford from them again. As expected, no response from anyone.

I am going to gleefully enjoy getting the refund for the repair.
    I too am "suppose" to get my REFUND FORMS this month....JUNE. We'll see. :lemon: :lemon: But I think also they should HAVE to repair and replace the "NEW" part for transmission or it will still go out again & we'll be paying again. I will hire me a lawyer if need to. :lemon:
  • anytingbutfordanytingbutford Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 has a recall on it and it's the torque converter. When I was on the freeway driving with my two children in the car I lost all power and the worst part I was two hours away from home and to make matters worse I was in the middle of nowhere with no cell reception. Well finally 500 dollars later I get my car home and remembered that I did get a recall notice in the mail so I looked and that's exactly what was wrong with my car. So I call the ford dealer here in Tracy Ca and also the customer service number that for provided on the recall notice and got nowhere!!!! The ford dealer told me to bring it in and they will take a look I spoke to JOHNOTHAN he said he word check if the torque converter is bad so three days later I get a phone call say I owe 135.00 for the diagnostic on the van and if I wanted them to check if the torque converter is bad I need to pay them 900.00!!! I told him to kiss my @$$ I'm not paying anything. Then I asked what documents they have proving that they did a diagnostic on my car and he had NOT ONE!!!! He said we did a visual so basically he check the tier pressure and lifted the hood up and that it. So when I asked for the documents and he said he had none I said you're not going to get a penny out of me and he said okay no argument at all. Why? Because he knows what they were doing was shady. But what he did mention is that the torque converter probably messed up the rest of my transmission and that ford would only pay for the part that was recalled. Which the final report of what the recall is going to cover isn't going to be out until the end of June 2012. Then customer service said oh okay ill make note of what your telling me .. I was like that's it ?? This is my main vehicle to get my children around in and all your going to do is make a note in your system and basically the guy said yes , but if I would like to get my car fixed (mind you is a few thousand dollars)and save the receipts' they might reimburse me.. Yeah like I have that money just sitting in my pocket.. COMPLE HORRABLE EXPERIENCE WITH THE FOR DEALER in Tracy ca AND THE COSTOMER SERVICE DEPARTMENT ON MY RECALL LETTER!!!!!!
  • johntopojohntopo Member Posts: 5
    Our 2004 Freestar has had the transmission issue almost to the tee of everone else. In 2006 AAMCO replaced the torch converter after that is was replaced 3 more times within 2 years, hadnt had a problem with that until May of this year now Ford said its the transmission & that is my problem. I still have not gotten a recall notice called ford they blew me off, I have had many other issures with this van the rear hatch is a poor design is keeps rusting closed, had power stering issues, tire issues, brake issues filed a complaint with NHTSA still stuck with a Van that Iam having to pay to store until I get this propblem figured out Szott ford told me it would be over $4000 to fix & they couldnt guarantee I wouldnt have any more problems.
  • drea3005drea3005 Member Posts: 9
    It is terrible that Ford has dragged their behinds on this recall. We were all told everything would be handled in the second quarter. Today is June 27, 2012 and nothing has been done to this day. My husband has called Ford twice this month, and both times he was told the letters would be mailed in two weeks. The "letter" was supposed to contain detailed information on how we were supposed to get a refund. My husband called again yesterday-June 26th. A representative told him you should receive something in two days, if not sir please be patient with us and allow us another week. When my vehicle was towed to the Ford dealer, and a new transmission was put in -I had to find the $3500 within a week -and I don't own a business nor was I born with a silverspoon in my mouth. You would think that Ford (with profits posting) would do right by the consumers and pay, in a timely manner, for all the wrong they have done. This really disgusts me. Buy American??
  • sjtdadsjtdad Member Posts: 11
    I agree! I've been waiting patiently for many months now. I didn't bother contacting Ford, I started exchanging e-mails with someone at the NHTSA. I have questioned many of Fords tactics regarding the investigation and recall and have been told to keep them up to date on Ford's actions. You had better believe that I'll be contacting the NHTSA this weekend if I don't get something from Ford in the next 3 days! And it had better be a simple and fast process. I too laid out about $3400 2 1/2 years ago and I've been waiting for money back ever since. I was a service manager at a GM dealership many years ago and I can tell you from experience that Ford dealer service departments are useless..."never seen this before". Uh-huh.
  • box207box207 Member Posts: 4
    Just like all the others...my tranny failed w/o notice 3 years ago at 100K miles. I replaced the tranny with a Ford rebuilt for about $3K that is now acting up after 30K mikes. We are in a holding pattern waiting to see what Ford plans to do WRT the recall, replace again, refund, or just blow us off?
  • motheyemotheye Member Posts: 17
    All: I posted this before but its now coming true. My Freestar transmission went back in November and I paid to get it rebuilt by a Ford dealer--all prior to the recall. When the recall came out I contacted Ford and have been awaiting instructions on reimbursement. Ford told me yesterday that I can now go into the dealer and start the process. I called the dealer, they pulled the records, and told me "my problem was the transmission and the recall is for the torque converter". Just as I expected--the receipt I have simply states "Transmission, $2,800". No details. My failure was exactly like everyone else--driving along and all power just went. No forward, no reverse. No leaking transmission. Nothing catastrophic in nature. So--all of us go to the mechanic and are told "its your transmission". How many transmissions have been replaced when it was the torque converter? Having said that--I've been told that the largest part of a tranny job is labor getting it out--which has to be done to get the torque converter out and replaced--so if you are doing the torque converter you may as well go through the transmission--since a torque converter problem can cause debris in the transmission (so why pull it out again three months later). Bottom line is the dealer told me he has to look into it and I've yet to get a call back. Small claims court it is.
  • trimadscotrimadsco Member Posts: 10
    Spoke with Ford customer service this AM who said recall/reimbursement letters have been mailed. For those who are requesting reimbursement for work already done, you do NOT have to wait for recall letter. They said you can take your receipts to your local Ford dealership for reimbursement. Customer service rep informed me that they are only reimbursing max of $1,450.00, said I would need to talk to service manager regarding anything above that. Talked to the Service Manager at my local Ford dealer, who informed me that Yes, they are only reimbursing a max of $1,450.00 - they will NOT reimburse anything above that, even if you had to have whole new transmission. He said they have to submit reimbursement request to Ford, and that would take 2-3 weeks. They do not give you a reimbursement check immediately. Like many others, my receipt only says "replace transmission", it does not say specificially "torque converter". I'm probably going to have to fight them to get reimbursed at all, and it's not even the full amount we paid, $2,800.
    Does anyone know if we have any recourse on getting them to reimburse the full amount? Small claims court? Lawsuit? etc???
  • hectorshectors Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 has a recall on it and it's the torque converter. When I was on the freeway driving with my two children and my wife in the car I lost all power and the worst part I was 6 hours away from home and to make matters worse I was in the middle of nowhere finally I called 911 for help, I left the car in maryland and payed $500 for the tickets (train) to come back to boston, 7 days later I went back to get it and it cost me $2500.00, two years after the car have the same problem and pay another $2500.00 because the previos warranty work was all ready expired,
    Wow. I think I'm going to be in the same boat. Paid $2800 for the fix--which included about $350 for them to tell me my main board did NOT have water in it--then they told me "the transmission". I too spoke with Ford this week and they told me I was ok to put in for a reimb through the dealer. Called the dealer and they pulled my records--and initially told me "recall was for Torque converter and NOT transmission"--which is what my invoice said. I complained and said he would look into it. Got a voice message from him late Friday that simply said "they are going to put my reimbursement through" but with no other details. I'm already planning on hearing they are only going to put through a portion of the total bill--maybe claiming I'm only authorized to get the cost of the torque converter. I will call Monday and let you know what I hear.
  • lynda7lynda7 Member Posts: 3
    I also had to have my torque converter replaced twice in 6 months and a rebuilt transmission as well. I went to a reputable private transmission repair shop because it was cheaper than Ford. I am concerned Ford won't give me a reimbursement because I didn't take it to the dealership. Has anyone asked that question? Know the answer?
  • jccrawfordjccrawford Member Posts: 18
    I just took my receipts to the dealership and the service manager told me that they were only reimbursing up to $1450. He gave me a copy of the second letter (which I still haven't gotten) and told me he was sorry and didn't agree with it and the only thing we can do is get a class action law suit going. We paid $1953 in 2010 because we had to have the whole trans done. I just spent an hour on the phone with them, talked to 3 different people (including a supervisor) and they aren't budging. I asked why I have to pay $500 (the difference) for a mistake they admittedly made. They just kept apologizing saying they understand but they are only reimbursing $1450. I'm so frustrated with Ford. If anyone else wants to fight for full reimbursement, please let me know. I'd rather give the $500 to a lawyer than to Ford.
    Only the attorneys get rich with a class action suit from what I understand.

We have yet to receive the second letter. Our transmission was not replaced at a dealership. I emailed Ford several weeks ago about the second letter and was told it would be sent out the end of the second quarter which June 30th. I am going to check again.
    Ford said they would have the second letter out sometime during the second quarter of 2012. I finally got mine today--July 2. But--Screwed Again! They are only reimbursing up to $1450 max--and you have to give them the original paperwork--and it has to say "torque converter" on the bill in order to get squat. NOW--stick with me for a minute here. I have a college degree in automotive technology and have been a line tech and service manager at GM dealerships. They claim that a torque converter stripping its splines affects no other part of your tranny so that is why they are only paying for the price of the converter. BUT--when my transmission was replaced 2 1/2 years ago the splines on the stator (part of the converter) had indeed stripped but then sent metal shavings throughout the transmission. The dealer told me it may be impossible to get all of them out and you don't know for sure if the shavings had done damage to other parts, etc. I agreed with that accessment and took their advice--spending $3400 on a Ford rebuilt transmission with a 3 year / 100,00 mile warranty. Saying that the torque converter affects nothing else is a LIE or STUPIDITY or both. And if they question the words "stator spline" on my bill someone's head will roll. I have been patient long enough. Yep, waited to 2 years to get screwed again.
    edited July 2012
    I am ready for a class action suit. Every case is different, and they are handling all cases the same. They are not concerned about the consumers and the position in which their product has left us. They don't even care that they endangered our lives. You would think after posting a big profit last year that they would want to make a wrong, right. Instead they are concerned about a buck. My total for a full transmission was $3319 at my local Ford dealer. Not to mention towing, and rental fees. That leaves me in a hole over $1800.00 The service manager at my local Ford dealer told me that Ford is claiming that there is no way of knowing how the vehicle was ran and that the transmission was not new at 80,000 miles it was bound to go out. However, my husband owned a Chrysler 300M that drove
    well over 200,000 miles without ever needing a new transmission. I will be reasearching, to make sure that a class action suit is not already started. Then I am going to talk to a few local lawyers, to see what can be done. If anybody knows of a class action suit already in motion please post here. We all need help. Thanks!
    My dealer just called me and said they were putting my receipts through for reimbursement (like the rest of you, mine said "transmission" only-$2800). I asked him if he was putting the entire amount through-expecting a fight--and he said its not up to them--its up to Ford. He never mentioned a $1450 number--but after reading all of your posts today its hard to believe he doesn't know more than he told me. BTW--he told me 3-4 months!
    Please let me know if you find anything out about the class action. I'll be searching here in Delaware"> also.
    $1450 is the most they will reimburse, but I wouldn't expect that amount. The letter says "costs associated with replacement or repair of the transmission are not reimbursable under this recall." So, only items on the receipt that say "torque converter" will be reimbursed. There are a lot of people who have a receipt that simply says "transmission" and they won't get a dime. It's just WRONG. If you haven't received the second letter from Ford, there is a Facebook group called Recall Ford Freestars and I have posted it there.
    I received a recall on my '05 Freestar. Do any of you know if we will get reimbursement forms or should we just send in our receipts, etc. My receipt does say torque converter so I think I will be covered. The total cost was $1549 - so should I just expect $1450 (and why $1450)? If, however, I get any reimbursement I will be surprised and happy!
    The reimbursment of $1450 is set across the board. Even though most people spent double that amount for an entire transmission -after being told they "had to replace the whole transmission." It should have been set on a percentage since all cases are not the same, and labor charges from dealer to dealer vary. We were told by Ford that a second letter was to come out with directions on how to get a reimbursement; however, not everyone got a letter. Just go up to your local Ford dealer, with your receipt in hand and ask the service department to submit your receipt for reimbursement according to the recall. You will have the option to receive $1450 or a new torque converter. I submitted my form on Monday of this week. We were told a reimbursement may take 7 to 10 days. We shall see. My fear however, is that the transmission that I had replaced 2 years ago, will soon- no longer be covered by warranty. We should have been given the option to have the new torque converter put in our vehicles and the $1450 reimbursement or to have our entire repair total reimbursed.
  • lak3lak3 Member Posts: 4
    Our Freestar topped running in July 2010 and I had to have the transmission replaced. The shop told me there were pump drive shaft splines floating around, but did not write that specifically on the receipt. So Ford has told me on the phone that without specific wording on the receipt, I won't qualify for any reimbursement. After reading all of your comments, I'm coming to the conclusion that it is hopeless to pursue reimbursement without the proper documentation.
    In 2010 I did report this situation to the NHTSA, but the latest I read from them is that they have stopped further study because of Ford's recall.
    It seems to me there is an argument to get the torque converter replaced now just in case it might have a positive impact on future resale value.
    Could you possibly go back to that shop and ask for a detailed receipt? They may keep electronic records.
  • amyd3amyd3 Member Posts: 4
    :lemon: In Feb 2010 we had our tranny rebuilt on a used Freestar we had bought only 6 months before. Disgusted at the time, but what can you do? Its a used vehicle and we bought it as such. Had approximately 125k on at the time. Today, we are looking at replacing the tranny AGAIN ... moisture (ie rainwater or antifreeze) is getting into the tranmission via a faulty design, no fault of ours. When we had the tranny rebuilt the first time, we discussed with the transmission clinic the issue of moisture entering and he created a diversion to keep the moisture from entering the transfer case. Obviously, this was a short time fix. We brought the vehicle in again to the same transmission clinic when it failed on me leaving the drive way ... I could reverse but not drive. The owner told us about the recall, as we never received the first notification, even though we are the current registered owners. We have our bill from the last round, so I called Ford and got my name on the system for the 2nd bulletin letter to go out ... they were suprised I didn't get the first one ... I did confirm our VIN falls under the recall. We were told this time, there was moisture in the tranny again and the torque converter failed. I called our local dealer, explained the situation to the service manager, who advised this falls under the recall and to bring our vehicle to them. We did that yesterday. Just got a call from the service manager advising we need a new transmission because of the moisture in the unit ... not the torque converter this time, it was only affected because of the moisture. We are back to square one once again, facing the same situation we went through 2.5 years ago. Why are we having to do this???? Does anyone know of any recourse we might have for our situation? I'm aware Ontario doesn't have a lemon law, but there must be some protection for consumers in these instances. I have been reading this forum thread since we bought our van in 2009 ... that's right, 3 years only and we are replacing/rebuilding the transmission for a 2nd time. Anyone else think there is something severely wrong with this?
  • amyd3amyd3 Member Posts: 4
    You will be covered by the recall. I took my invoice in from 2010 for the total rebuild of my tranny, and torque converter was clearly written on it. This is what my local Ford will be submitting for us. Unfortunately, today we are looking at replacing our tranmission AGAIN because of faulty design allowing moisture into the transmission. Screwed again.
    Do you know if you have to take the receipts to the same dealer that repaired it (mine was out of state because I was on a trip) or any Ford dealer?
  • kaki1kaki1 Member Posts: 7
    I traded in my Freestar 18 months ago knowing that the 1 year warranty for my rebuilt transmission was soon to expire. Am I eligible for reimbursement even though I no longer own the car?
  • lak3lak3 Member Posts: 4
    It's a great idea, and I have been trying. Unfortunately the shop closed about a year ago and I have not been able to find the former owner!
    Anyone received forms from RECALL for reimbursement? Ive received 1 st paper, suppose heard by June for sending in my proof of repairs..... haven't heard anything more. My repairs were $1495.00. :confuse:
    You don't have to wait for the letter. You can take your receipt to the dealership and they can submit it for you. Ford is only reimbursing UP TO $1450 and that's if your receipt specifically says "torque converter". They are not reimbursing for the replacement of transmissions.
    You shouldn't have to. Go to your local Ford dealer (to the service department) and tell them why you are there.
    This garbage of only reimbursing up to $1450 is ridiculous! My dealer recommended 2 1/2 years ago when my tranny died at 52,000 miles that I replace the transmission with a rebuilt instead of rebuilding the bad one, saying it had the pieces of spline all throughout the tranny. It cost $3400 total. The bill says that the "stator shaft" was the problem. The stator shaft splines are the problem, and the stator is part of the torque converter. Anybody want to bet they say no because of the bill being too detailed? What a joke! Replacing just the torque converter would not have fixed the problem--I would most likely still have had metal shavings in the trans even after flushing--and they probably had already done other damage to the valve body or housing.
  • lhatchellhatchel Member Posts: 15
    Well, I contacted Dale Jarrett Ford in Monroe, NC several weeks ago regarding the recall. They kept my information and just contacted me that I am eligible for a $1450 refund. They are processing everything for me. I want to commend this dealership for everything they have done to help me get this processed. I am satisfied with the $1450 although I paid $3000 to have the transmission replaced. Half is better than nothing at all. Thanks to all of you that filed claims to finally get the ball rolling, especially Jim and Nadine for staying on top of things.
    I took all of my paperwork to the local dealer and they are processing it. My work was done at a transmission shop.
    If you actually get your $1450 I would like to know what your work order said to get you that. My local Ford Dealer is saying she keeps talking to Ford and trying to get us as much money as possible and makes it sound like Ford is trying to muddle through all this mess and she has to debate with them over numerous phone calls or something. She says she will call again and call me back. Wouldn't it be simpler if they just gave everyone who had torque converter replaced the $1450 and not have to scrutinize each claim? What a mess!
  • trimadscotrimadsco Member Posts: 10
    That's interesting - because the Service manager at my local dealership made it sound like ALL he does is send the receipt in, and Ford pays whatever they are going to pay - like he has no say in it. Seems like everyone is getting a different answer/information. Will be interesting to see when people start actually receiving reimbursements.
    Has anyone reading these posts received a reimbursement? If so, how much?
    Just heard back from the gal at my local dealer. She said all she could get me is $1139.13. I told her I want the max and that there is no reason not to give everyone that. Where did they get that number from anyway. My bill is not itemized but does state torque converter. She said she looked up what it would cost today to replace torque, labor and fluid and that's where she got that number. Are other people's bills itemized? I would like to know because you said you were getting the $1450. Does it say that amount on your bill? My mechanic that fixed my car said he would never itemize something like this because any qualified transmission shop would go through the whole thing and fix other damaged parts. I would also like to contact the dealer in North Carolina who is getting the $1450. Maybe I could go through them? Got a number?
    My trans. I already had repaired 3 yrs ago. BUT, then they didnt have the NEW part that they have now. so, letter says they will reimburse me + they;ll have put NEW INVENTED part on mine too. Havent heard since the 1st letter. SOOOOO, who knows. lol :lemon:
    ALSO: I have my receipt, etc for repairs, I exspect refund on towing too!!!!!!! :mad: