Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestar Transmission Problems

Comments

• shocked1shocked1 Member Posts: 85
    WHERE YOU GET FORM FOR REIMBURSEMENT? IVE ONLY REC'D 1 LETTER. NEVER SEND ORIGINAL REPAIRS RECEIPT.....COPIES. IF THEY DONT PUT NEW PARTS ON, WE'LL BE PAYING AGAIN.
  • witchhazel73witchhazel73 Member Posts: 9
    I also have only received 1 letter. My car broke down on a move from Michigan to Florida. We were stuck in Kentucky in a hotel for a week. Paid 2800 to have the trasmission replaced. Mechanic said I had no other choice because it was full of shavings. What do I do to put in a claim? And is it true we are only getting reimbursed 1400? :cry:
    My receipt does not state that the torque converter was replaced so I am assuming I will not get reimbursed anything?!?!?!?!
    I had the same issue the recall states "it may be possible for your vehicle to lose forward and reverse power while driving, due to worn splines in the transmission torque converter"
    The mechanic told me this caused shavings to be throughout the whole transmission and he HAD to replace it.
    What am I to do? Any advice??? PLEASE:(

This is what I read on the Ford website;
    Safety Recall 11S25 Freestar and Monterey Torque Converter Replacement
    Ford Motor Company issued Safety Recall 11S25 for 2004 and 2005 Ford Freestar and Mercury minivans built between March, 2003 and May, 2005 for a possible loss of forward and reverse power due to a torque converter malfunction caused by stripped pump drive splines. Torque converter parts were not initially available at the time of the initial announcement, and customers were advised that parts were expected to become available during the 2nd quarter 2012, and that they would be re-notified when parts were available.

Beginning June 29th 2012, all dealerships and some customers will be re-notified via letters that parts are becoming available to complete 11S25. Letters will be mailed to customers over the course of several weeks, allowing for parts availability to further improve and dealers to complete repairs in an organized manner. Customers who are experiencing a current concern with their torque converter, or desire to have 11S25 completed prior to receiving the re-notification letter, should contact their dealership for part availability and repair scheduling.

Owners with a receipt and a repair order showing torque converter replacement are eligible for a refund. Refunds will be provided for reasonable and customary torque converter replacement costs – up to $1450. Customers seeking a refund should provide the original receipt and the repair order to their dealership for reimbursement consideration – it is not necessary to wait for the re-notification letter. Customers receiving a refund will have completed the 11S25 program and a repair will not be performed. A transmission repair or assembly replacement that does not clearly indicate that the torque converter was replaced will not receive a refund, but will receive a torque converter replacement at no charge under the 11S25 program.

If a vehicle should unexpectedly lose power due to torque converter malfunction, it remains readily controllable; the vehicle will coast during which it can be safely maneuvered and parked. Because the engine continues to run, steering and braking are unaffected, and the electrical system and directional signals remain functional. The transmission park system also remains fully functional. If your vehicle is experiencing a problem related to this recall, please schedule a service appointment with your preferred Ford or Lincoln dealership .

If you have any other questions, please contact the Ford Customer Relationship Center at 1-866-436-7332.
    :confuse:
  • bluejaygirlbluejaygirl Member Posts: 2
    This is what I don't understand... if I take the refund ( which I am guessing I will only get $1015.00 for from looking at my bill ) I am still driving around with my children in a likely defective vehicle. How is that a fair or appropriate recall? The guy at Ford Customer Service was trying to assure me that they haven't seen this problem in the torque converters that have already been replaced. That's likely because they don't have that magical 50,000 miles on them yet. And if the part that is in my van right now is so awesome, why are they still making a re-designed part? If I can get two more years out of this piece of garbage I guess I should be happy, never had so many problems with a vehicle. I will never buy a Ford again.
    I am hoping I get my last year out of it without any more major problems. I will not be driving very much this next year I know that:(
    This is my 1st and last Ford.
  • sjtdadsjtdad Member Posts: 11
    I was told the same thing by my dealer when my trans died in January 2010--the entire trans must be replaced because there are shavings all throughout the trans. Logic should tell anybody that if the pump splines strip, which pumps the fluid throughout the trans, then those shavings will scatter with the fluid! But we aren't even going to get back half what it cost us to fix. We waited 2+ years, through an investigation, and a 6 month recall process just to get this? Rip-off!!!!
    Exactly! I was given no other option than to replace the whole transmission. But my invoice does not state that they replaced the torque converter so as it is right now, I won't be getting reimbursed. I've been calling the shop that replaced it everyday to get a new invoice with no luck so far. Wonder what can be done to make complaints to Ford? It's not fair to spend so much and only get less than half back in return.
    Rip off is right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • jccrawfordjccrawford Member Posts: 18
    The service manager at the Ford dealership by us was clueless and had to call Ford to find out how to process everything. She thought they had to inspect the car just to put the reimbursement through, which isn't the case. Anyway, after calling Ford, she told me that the dealership has a guideline of what can be put through for reimbursement and the amount. They can fax the info to Ford and Ford sends out the check but the dealership also has to send Ford (via registered mail) the original receipts. There are a couple of people on the Recall Ford Freestars facebook page that have already received their checks for $1450 within a week. They were processed by their dealerships.
    My husband took our receipts to the local Ford dealership today. Porter Ford in Newark, DE. The warranty manager looked at the receipts and actually told my husband that he wouldn't submit them because they looked "faulty" because the mileage wasn't listed! Basically, he implied that my husband was trying to get over on Ford! Outrageous because Ford is actually screwing us. I hate to think it was racially motivated, but my husband who was in his gym clothes, was basically called a criminal...and HE'S A POLICE OFFICER! He was with our kids at the time and thankfully didn't let the guy have it. I called the service manager and she was very apologetic and promised to submit our receipts when we bring them in. Just another reason to HATE Ford!!!
  • lynn1102lynn1102 Member Posts: 13
    My transmission died almost a year before the recall information came out. My local independent repair shop, whom I have used for over 30 years did all the work. Trans was full of metal filings and the whole thing was replaced at a cost of just over 3k.
    I bought my 04 van in 2005, used, from a Ford dealer, but haven't been back since.
    In an e-mail to and from Ford, I was promised information on a refund since the work was already done. My invoice just states transmission, but the converter is part of the trans. How can Ford find a problem with that?

I'm really surprised that no class action has been started - yet.
  • box207box207 Member Posts: 4
    Still have not received the actual recall...did receive a preliminary letter saying that we would get the recall in the 2nd quarter
  • box207box207 Member Posts: 4
    I am in the exact same position....I already had repaired 3 yrs ago. BUT, then they didnt have the NEW part that they have now. Letter says they will reimburse me + they;ll have put NEW INVENTED part on mine too. Havent heard since the 1st letter...tranny is now starting to have TCC problems... :lemon:
  • im4luvim4luv Member Posts: 3
    Call the place that replaced your transmission and ask if they can do a detailed replacement bill with the torque converter part number or invoice number listed individually and reprint your bill. I had to do that with mine and I was told they could and would. They will have it ready for me to pick up tomorrow.
  • drea3005drea3005 Member Posts: 9
    Go to your local Ford dealer, with your receipt and ask them to submit it per the recall. My refund took 10 days and was only for $1450.00 $1800 short of the actual total, but it did help -still not completely happy.
  • drea3005drea3005 Member Posts: 9
    I have received the $1450 that Ford wanted to pay, but I am still not happy. I have e-mailed the National highway safety people, and I have some calls out to lawyers. Still working for justice (not half way or mediocre justice).
  • johntopojohntopo Member Posts: 5
    Did they make you sign anything that if you accepted the check you had no other claims or other recource or anything like that?
    I did and he said he was more than happy to do so! Now I just have to wait for it. He is in Kentucky and I am in Michigan. I was traveling when my van broke down. As soon as it arrives I'm heading to the Ford dealer!!!!
    Has anyone recieved a check yet and how long is it taking from the time you put the claim in?
  • workinglaurieworkinglaurie Member Posts: 6
    I received the notice that states they would be contacting me in the 2nd quarter but no check yet. Did you just get the check in the mail or did you have to call the dealer to get the ball rolling. $1450 is only about 2/3 or what I spent to get the job done at the dealer.
  • lhatchellhatchel Member Posts: 15
    I received $1450 from my Ford Dealership. They filed all the paperwork for me. I did not have to do anything. I never got any notices in the mail. I just went to my Ford dealership and they filed everything for me. It took less than 2 weeks to get my check. I am happy with half of what I paid. It is better than nothing at all.
  • lhatchellhatchel Member Posts: 15
    You have to do everything through the Ford dealer.
  • dgmeyerdgmeyer Member Posts: 1
    You hear stories like this one, but you never think it's going to happen to you...

Our family was traveling between Seattle and Saint Louis when our transmission went out on a gas stop. It was late on a Sunday evening deep in Montana (ranked second to last in population density right above ALASKA) and we were over 100 miles out of Billings. Despite having AAA, there wasn't even a tow company within distance to take our car into town if our lives had literally depended on it. This vehicle had 75,000 miles on it. We had already replaced the engine. I should have taken that as a clue and sold the :lemon: while I had the chance!

We had the same cascading failure as everyone else. The torque converter blew and that threw metal shavings into the transmission. We had both replaced on the advice of the transmission shop in Billings. The rebuilt transmission had to be shipped in, so we are out the cost of the transmission and torque converter and the cost of nearly a weeks worth of hotel stay because of the wait. We got some compensation from AAA for the hotel stay but it doesn't cover it completely. Now I have paid for replacement of both components and will only be repaid for one.

If I had my way, Ford would be buying this vehicle back from me at 100% the cost I paid for it and I would buy something from a more reputable company. I've been a loyal Ford customer since before I could drive (Dad bought all Fords). Looks like it's time to vote with my wallet... as soon as I have enough money after sinking it all into this rotting pit of a van.

Sore in Saint Louis.
  • dkuttydkutty Member Posts: 1
    This is awesome...like everyone else in Dec 2010 the transmission failed with only 82,000 miles on the van. Luckily it was late evening with little traffic. Like everyone else I have been patiently waiting for action and finally the govt forces a recall!!! I get my intial letter this winter from Ford about the recall. Patiently, wait. Based on the advice on this board I bring my receipts to the local ford dealership and WHAM, punched in the gut again! "My 2004 Freestar is not part of the recall, you will need to contact Ford." Call Ford.....this is awesome. "Sir, yes it appears that it was determined by Ford that your VIN# was not manufactured with the defective part. You will need to go back to your dealer for resolution." I particularly love the circle they put you in basically each one is pointing at the other. My response to Ford was can you tell me what production dates or what mfr plants installed the defective part? Ford: "No". Back to the National Highway Safety Board. Anyone know where I can find out how many Ford Freestars/Montereys were produced in 2004-2005? It appears as if I may need to make a visit to small claims court.
    If you got the letter from Ford about the recall, they have already committed to the repair - my opinion. Did you show them the letter? i just went to Ford's web site and according to them, there is no recall on my vehicle. I got my letter many months ago. If you Google Freestar Recall, you will come up with many hit. One site listed 205,000 vehicles in the transmission recall.

Lynn
  • bluejaygirlbluejaygirl Member Posts: 2
    Now Ford has MORE new recalls ( on other vehicles) and its taking longer to process my refund. I am supposed to call the dealer back on Monday ( its been over a week now since I reluctantly left them with my original receipt- so scared someone will 'lose' it). In the meanwhile I have contacted the BBB about Ford Motor Company as the NHTSA said they don't oversee how recalls are administered. Then who does? There has to be accountability somewhere. :mad: I won't go down without a fight. Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I want my whole repair bill refunded and a new torque converter. But right now I REALLY need that refund check.

I also would like an apology for the customer service supervisor who tried to convince me that losing your transmission on a busy 6 lane highway isn't dangerous because you "can coast and steer". :confuse: Would anyone at Ford corporate want to drive their family around in my van right now? I doubt it.
  • marcar1021marcar1021 Member Posts: 1
    We have been dealing with Ford for many years and never had a problem until this Freestar 2004.
    Two years ago, the engne light came on and I had to take the van into Ford.....I cannot stand dealerships....I had a extended warranty on the van...After a week they told me that the radiator had leaked water into the transmisiion and was rusting it out.....they would replace it with a new transmission.....What a crock that was....they installed a rebuilt transmission., the cruise control was not working and the traction light would not go off. I was told by the service advisor if I wanted it checked out, it would cost me $90 to look at it and then whatever charge would apply to repair this problem...Told him they had my van for three weeks and I had to pay $600 over the warranty charge....did he care????what a joke...it also costs me $650 to rent a car as they do not provide courtesy cars....My van only has 56000 miles.....and now I get this friggin letter about a recall? I am going to drive this van into the ground and then never buy another Ford product
    Now I cannot find the recall letter...does anyone know if the dealership has a copy????
    I purchased my van in CT and then moved to NC..Perhaps I should go back to Ford Corporate..............
  • akachasakachas Member Posts: 5
    Updating my own story here...I just visited the dealer (Watertown MA Ford) and they took my receipt and attached it to an official-looking request form, saying there were going to submit it to Ford today. The service manager felt I would be getting something, but probably only in the neighborhood of $400. His reasoning: it was 3.5 years ago that the torque converter was replaced with rebuilt part at out-of-state AAMCO. I told him I had already traded van. He seemed to slump over a little at this news, as if maybe it would not be a high priority for them. But I persisted and said I wanted to claim the full amount of the rebuild of $2,400 (although I will be satisfied if I get the $1,450). I will be following up on their progress and posting updates.
    I took my receipt in to Ford dealer...He tells me also i may not get exact 1450.00 I said ," THEN I'LL GO ANOTHER 3 1/2 YEARS AND GO TO COURT!!!! Mine was $1495.00 I Will not take less then $1450.00. He says they "done" extra work, dont want pay for that....I told him TUFF!!! I never wanted a recall van either, but got one!! Dont allow them feed you that 3 1/2 yr bull!! It took them 4 yrs to do a recall!!Here in OHIO, you get the check OR repaired again...told them no thanks, mine's got over 108000 miles, i'll junk if goes out again.. Stay on them, shouldnt matter WHEN transmission went out, all that matters is, IT WENT OUT!!!!! GOOD LUCK. suppose see check in 60 days for 1450.00 If not, Ill go court. ALSO, MAKE SURE YOU GET ORIGINAL RECEIPT BACK!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    I WOULD NOOOOO WAY SEND MY PAPERS THRU MAIL.....ONLY WAY TO DO IT ,IS HAND IN PERSON, DEMAND THEY MAKE THEM A COPY. security tried get me to call customer service while I sit on lot!!! NO way!! I went in, didnt take 10 mins. You have talk up to them. It's THEIR mistake, THEY need take care of it.......
    YOU WON'T BELIVE IT!!!!! (I DIDNT) Only thru prayer..... I went yesterday, DIRECTLY to FORD dealer here in columbus, Ohio. RICART FORD. I simply told the I WILL not settle ANY LESS then $1450.00. ( I paid $1495 for tranny repairs 3 1/2 yrs ago) Did receipt page, etc, said will get check in 60 days. I came home thinkin, right, "SURE" I will. lol 19 hours later she called me to come back & get my check!!!!!!! $1450!!!!!! Dont give up, hope you DEMAND they make themselves a COPY of receipt, DO NOT give original. Hope everyone gets their $$$$$.. I thank God for ours.
    GOT MINE IN 19 HOURS!!!!
    NO SIGNING DREA 3005, BUT DID SAY $$$$ or REPAIRED NOT BOTH.
    Just curious - was the check you got from the dealer or from Ford Motor Company?

Lynn
  • lak3lak3 Member Posts: 4
    This is a follow-up on my last post [July 9]. I finally was able to find the guy who did the actual work on my transmission and he found his billing statement while I was on the phone. He then faxed it to me; it had the magic words ‘torque convertor’; my Ford dealer thought the paperwork was sufficient, sent it into Ford, and yesterday I rec’d a check for $1450.
    Glad that is over! Hope many of you are equally successful.
  • trimadscotrimadsco Member Posts: 10
    How did you get it in 19 hours? Did they mail you the check or did you have it sent to the dealership??
  • trimadscotrimadsco Member Posts: 10
    lak3 - when did the dealership send your paperwork in? Just curious how long it actually took to receive your check.
    I haven't even been able to make a a claim yet. My invoice only states the transmission was replaced. I talked to the mechanic in Kentucky (I am live in Michigan) and he said he would send an invoice giving details, stating the torque converter was also replaced. But I haven't recieved that from him yet.
  • motheyemotheye Member Posts: 17
    To my Watertown Ford: I had my "transmission" done at Watertown Ford--actually they sub it out to someone. My bill said "transmission". When I finally got word from Ford I can start the refund process through the dealer the customer service guy at Watertown first told me "this is a torque converter recall--not a transmission" and that I didn't qualify. After some persuading--he said he would look into it. A couple days later he left me a message that said "we submitted your paperwork to Ford. It might take 5-6 months to hear back". No other info. I finally got him today and he told me they submitted on June 29. I called Ford (again) and the customer service agent told me they see it as received on July 13--but with no other information. Nobody has officially told me the max is $1450. I haven't even got the second letter yet. If I haven't been calling or watching this site I would have known nothing. Do you get the impression the guys at Watertown are simply annoyed? I would be doing whatever I could to regain potential buyers.
    they called me next day....19 hrs later....i then went in and got it. I live 2 miles from Ford dealer
    TOOK MINE 19HRS...... HAD I KNOWN HOW EASY IT IS, ID WENT IN MARCH WHEN I GOT LETTER. ;);)
    LYNN>>>> my check was from RICART DEALER, here in columbus ohio....thru BANK ONE.
  • lak3lak3 Member Posts: 4
    It took about 10 days; there was a slight 'slowdown' at Ford HQ according to the dealer, or it would have have sooner!
    It is apparent that most of us are not happy with the way Ford is handling this recall. I would suggest that we all start contacting media outlets to share our story. It's pretty easy to submit a story idea online and if enough people make noise about the same thing, I'm sure it'll get picked up. Media attention seems to be the only way to get big corporations to do the right thing any more.

http://www.cnn.com/feedback/forms/form11b.html

http://mashable.com/submit/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/contact/
  • amyd3amyd3 Member Posts: 4
    I am in Ontario, Canada, and I know a lot of you are in the US. I am a bit concerned about my cheque, as my dealer has submitted my claim 2 weeks ago ... we haven't heard anything further since. Should I follow up with the dealer or with Ford? Will the dealer receive my cheque or will it be mailed directly to me? TIA for your input!
  • headaches2012headaches2012 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have reported to Ford on March 2012 after the 1st recall letter regarding the torque converter recall which my van was experiencing early stages of this problem but Ford told me I had to wait for a second letter.
    On May 2012, I called them again and told them my Van is worse and experiencing hard movement. Again Ford tells me I must wait for the second letter via mail which should be mailed to me by mid June 2012.
    During this time, I took my van for an oil change at Jiffy Lube. One of the tech discovers something wrong with the transmission oil. He said it looked water and the dip stick appeared rusty like there was moisture. I couldn't understand how that was possible. But I had notified that the trans oil was changed in the past and it wasn't up yet for another change.
    My van worsen while 1st week of July still I have not received any 2nd letter. I called them and they said the letter was sent out and I can take it to any Ford. I am upset that I never received this 2nd letter.
    Finally, my van gets check and replacement was done to the torque converter but mechanic also noted that the transmission fluid is burnt.
    I drive my van out thinking finally I saved my minivan a trans break down. BOY WAS I HOPING TO HARD!. As soon as I left my van still show the same warnings and symptoms. No change at all. I called Ford Service center and told them about it. The tech say "Oh, you are probably having other transmission problems not associated with the torque converter. This expense is not covered by the recall."
    Does anyone know anything about a recall regarding moisture and transmission damages as I mentioned above? If so, what year was that recall? How can I get a copy so that I can get this fixed? Or would the transmission damages caused by a torque converter covered by the recall?
    It's been about 2 weeks for me also. I talked to the service manager at the dealership a couple of days ago and she told me that she submitted the claim to Ford and that when Ford accepts the claim, they credit the dealership's warranty account. The dealership then prints out a check. I'm also nervous that something has gone wrong with the processing of my claim because I've heard of some people getting their checks within days. But it could be that some dealerships are issuing their customer's checks before Ford even processes the claim.
  • johntopojohntopo Member Posts: 5
    My VIN does not come up either, I had my transmission replaced for the first time by AMMCO over 4 years ago for about $2800 plus other cost, since then they replaced the torque converter 3 times after that with in about 3 years. The guy from AMMCO was a former Ford guy he said at the time he contacted some of his friend at Ford they all agreed that Ford knew there was a problem but it would be too costly to help us out with it. AMMCO finally made a torque converter that worked did not have a problem until just last month when the transmission went out again, took it back to a Ford dealer since I had heard about the recall mine still doent show but its in the year range 2004. They told me this time it was the Transmission not totally related to the torque converter but the metal that sheared off of the tranmssion made the radiator fluid leak into the transmission which caused water & other fluieds to totally destroy the transmission. Ford said that was not related to the toque converter we now have our van in storage because they said it would be over $4000 to fix it the Van is only worth probally half that. I turned in my reciepts over 3 week ago still havent heard anything from Ford also turn my reciept & letter to the Zone office & BBc they sent me info but since its so old it dosent look like they can help. IVE also had issues with the back hatch not opening because of a design flaw, power stering issues, & front end problems. Ford doent seem to care :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    Being a little paranoid, I would seriously question this tactic. I have heard of other dealers doing this and none of them paid the full $1450. I wonder if any of the dealers are making a few extra bucks on this deal.

Lynn
  • joema1joema1 Member Posts: 1
    I too have a college degree and have been doing transmissions in ford dealerships for 30+ years.If you failure was caused by stator splines then you are out of luck and will definitely not be reimbursed.The recall is for pump drive splines and no they do not send metal or contaminate the transmission-good luck!
  • gobamagobama Member Posts: 16
    I took my receipt to a Ford Dealer in Huntersville, NC on July 13th. The work was done my a local transmission business in Huntersville two years ago. We received a check for $1450 from the dealer this past weekend. We are happy to get this amount. Our total bill with an extended warranty was around $2200. We did have another issue last year and the work was covered by the warranty. So, we feel we came out Ok on this and we have had no problems since.
  • workinglaurieworkinglaurie Member Posts: 6
    My Ford dealer wants to keep my original receipt in order for me to receive my rebate check. Is this standard policy. I was under the impression that the customer always keeps the original.