Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Windstar Transmission

Comments

• 1998lincoln1998lincoln Member Posts: 108
    Make sure you have electrical power going to transmission !First, check your fuses !
    Transmission over heating is caused be "Excessive tow loads,improper fluid levels,incorrect engine idle or performance,restriction in cooler lines,dirty or stciking valves,seized converter one-way clutch" and that's just a few to mention ! A flush is a good ideal, but it might be to late for that ! Sorry , Good Luck !!!
    Could be the Torque converter and/or input shift that goes into the converter !Usually the splines strip off the shaft or inside the converter it's self ! If this is the cause you are looking at a very large repair bill !!!
    Sounds like a bad converter or input shaft, stripped splines ! Just something to look at !
    The white smoke sounds like you have a blown head gasket !!!
    Sounds like the torque converter and/or the torque converter shaft has stripped out ! You will need one or the other,Possible !!!
  • rc47129rc47129 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 98windstar trans jumps in and out of gear driving 40-60 mph. engine revs up then clunks back into gear somedays it will do this all day and then it might not do it for 3-4 days// anyone out there have any clues?? it is code free/// thanks
  • maxjmaxj Member Posts: 1
    Did you find out what the problem was with your tranny? I have a 2001 that is doing the exact thing. It is driving me nuts. I sold the van to a guy and wound up buying it back because we cannot figure out the problem. Thanks
    Just a guess from the info you gave us, Could be the Forward Clutch Piston Cracking, or the neutral safty switch ! If you replace the neutral safty switch it has to be adjusted correctly! GOOD LUCK
    Sounds like the trans pump has went bad ! GOOD LUCK !!!
    The transmission was rebuilt, new torque converter, new computer, only thing I can think off is VSS or OD sensor ! Also, make sure there is no brake fluid leaking onto the wiring under the master brake cyl ! GOOD LUCK
  • cryptic301cryptic301 Member Posts: 3
    Now I have a 2001 ford Windstar with 178,000 miles, the van ran great no problems. Well about 2 weeks ago it developed a problem with slamming while shifting. When you put it into drive it will slam in to gear, (feels like the motor is jerking the van, just jerks forward). the other issue is when driving when this first happened if you were in 4th and around 40 to 60 and accelerated but not enough to down shift she would jerk and lunge (you have to force it to down shift). Now she jerks and what not when she down shifts and some times up shifting, it feels like the motor is shaking.

Well I replaced the motor mount it was a hydraulic mount, the top was cracked and the fluid leaked out, I replaced it with a solid mount. While I was there I looked at the CV axle and the joints are fine but I can wiggle the axle and it moves around at the trans hub. I drove it and I still have the same problem. Slamming and lunging when the gears change, the trans fluid is full. just wanted to know if you had any ideas mabey its could be a shifting solenoid or something. Well thanks for your time
  • jfolkmanjfolkman Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    I have a 1999 Ford Windstar LX van V6 (3.6). Intermittently the van is blowing fuse #19 in the engine compartment, this causes the the check engine light to illuminate along with the O/D light to flash. The car is then is running only in 2nd gear (limp mode). When I replace the fuse #19 the O/D light is not on or flashing and the shifting is normal, the check engine light remains on. I don't know if this is related: The #19 fuse blowing problem started the day after I had to jump the car due to a dead battery. The battery had a lot of corrosion so I cleaned it of with baking soda and water. From that point the fuse blows intermittently when I attempt to shift from park to reverse. Today, I removed the cables from the battery terminals cleaned everything real well, left the battery disconnected for over 15 mins to reset the check engine light, replaced blown fuse #19. The car is running normal so far with no check engine light. A week or so later fuse # 19 blew again.

I replaced the range sensor. vehicle starts ok and shifts through every gear. However, now fuse #19 is blowing more often when I shift from Park to Reverse and then to Drive (fuse blows when shifting to Drive).

I replaced fuse #19 and then tried something new, I make sure before moving the shift lever I push the O/D button to disable the O/D. Fuse #19 does not seem to blow. This morning forgot to push O/D button before shifting and fuse 19 blew, first time in three weeks

What should I do next to solve this intermittent problem?
  • ashlyn1984ashlyn1984 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '96 Windstar and over a week ago it didn't want to shift into 3rd gear, for 2 days we had that issue. Then throughout last week it ran absolutely fine, Friday however it quit shifting all together, had to drive 15mph to get home then to the transmission shop which is right up the street. They couldn't look at it until Saturday, hooked up to the computer and found nothing wrong with it. Yesterday they drove it for an hour and it ran perfectly fine so they said nothing was wrong with it. I don't believe them and I refuse to drive the van until we take it to Ford. Any ideas on what could be wrong with it? I am frustrated because we also just found out that my '97 Thunderbird has a cracked intake manifold so that pretty much leaves us without a vehicle until we can take them in this weekend to be fixed.
    :confuse: :mad:
  • markandmelodymarkandmelody Member Posts: 2
    Sounds like our 1999 Ford Windstar LX, 3.8L. Haven't had #19 fuse blow. Thought it was the transmission. Had it thoroughly checked and transmission is fine. They thought it was the ECM. The ECM ML2-941 is located under the plastic shield of the windshield wipers, passenger side, against the firewall above the shock tower. The computer has no removable prom chip. Called O'Reilly parts store. Can purchase this part, has core charge, but has to be taken to a Ford service center to be programmed. Comes to $300 US dollars for parts and program not including your mechanic's labor. Fortunately Mark is a mechanic and this is our personal vehicle. Guess we will replace the ECM and see what that does. Also read where all Windstars were made in Canada and the motors are Taurus motors. Mark says putting a Taurus motor and transmission in is doable so might go that route. Will try to remember to post how a new ECM works out.
  • lynnwinlynnwin Member Posts: 1
    I had no indication that my transmission was bad. I went to work one day parked the van, then at the end of the day I started it and it wouldn't move. I tried reverse, drive and low and high gear with no luck. I had to have it towed home, and still don't know what is really wrong. Hopefully I don't need a new transmission, but with my luck I'm sure I will.
  • helphoustonhelphouston Member Posts: 2
    It is more than likely you will need to have it rebuilt. I have done considerable research and every where it says notorious for this and that. Do not swap out, consider problems written associated with changing the existing tranny. Mine is still in the driveway waiting on a $1500 bal in savings to take it to the tranny shop. You can drip fluid from the dip stick on white paper, if it is brownish and or has black flecks in it, it will need to be rebuilt. Find a good established shop, you want it rebuilt, not changed.
  • markandmelodymarkandmelody Member Posts: 2
    As per my previous post. Did find a computer in a used vehicle that matched ours. Swapped them out. Windstar wouldn't run. After much digging and research, discovered that the Windstar manufacturer matches the ECM with the electrical bundle. These are programmed together. Isn't that just wonderful? Prevents you from swapping these out separately. We now have a ECM we can use as our core. Here's the kicker, after removing the original ECM and putting the used one in then discovering the used one wouldn't work, put the original ECM back in and the van is running better! A reset may have been all it needed. So will drive it till it acts up again and then post results. Fingers crossed!
  • boss302jboss302j Member Posts: 15
    Sure seems like a good possiblity of a stripped out torque converter. Lots cheaper than a rebuild. Look at my earlier post. Common problem on these transmissions. New converter and that is it. That is all mine took.
  • cookie35cookie35 Member Posts: 1
    hi i just was reading ur ad its so funny im having the same problem with my wind star just got it 3 weeks ago drove it 1 time tranmission bad dont what to do it shift gear but the man i got it from he said he just put a new tranmission he just got me for my money
  • john4u1970john4u1970 Member Posts: 1
    this is for theboss2 or anyone else that can give me a tip i got my transmission unbolted with everything disconnected can not seem to drop it do i need to pull it from top i really don't want to remove engine
  • mtnmans98zx2mtnmans98zx2 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2011
    my cousin had me look at his van last night (2000 Windstar) and I have NO CLUE whats up with it.
    The tranny shifts fine and goes through the gears but at about 30-40mph if ya let of the gas and coast a bit then get back into the gas it slips like crazy. It does this whether the tranny in hot or cold and it does it intermittently. Could it be a vacume leak and if so where should I start to look.
    Or maybe a sensors bad OR the TRANNY IS FRIED? IM not a transmission man soI dont have a clue what to look for. I feel bad for the kid and will help him and his family out as much as I can but I dont know where to start! Any info would be greatly appreciated!
  • fix_windstarfix_windstar Member Posts: 2
    I wish to keep my 2002 Windstar for a long time. But her life was cut short at little bit over 88,000 miles. This is a record short life for any modern cars!!! I have spent so much money, time and frustrations on this "Star". The car finally stopped in a parking lot when I was backing it onto a road in the parking lot with horrible snapping and grinding noises. A fellow driver said it was a transmission failure. Thank God for not having this problem on a highway. I am very scared by this (my whole family was in the van) and I am compelled to tell this tory. I really hope that all the drivers of this car will be safety and fine.

I would like to know if this is a normal failure for this car. Does Ford has any recall for it's transmission or any other parts for this car?

Ford should take all their Windstars back in order to avoid tragedies.
  • simcity42simcity42 Member Posts: 1
    if ur van wont start its caused by the shifter linkage on the trans. its a flat black bot that has a plug on it right under the shifter cabel its bad an need replaced
  • ldm3ldm3 Member Posts: 1
    Shifter has loose feeling on column, sometimes unable to "find" drive D. Is this an inexpensive fix ?

2000 Windstar SEL 103,000 miles. Bought new and tranny has been flushed 3x
  • da1goochda1gooch Member Posts: 1
    Go to https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml and report your issue and let's get a recall on this tranny issue with the Ford Windstars. I have one parked at home as well and need something done about it. Ford should pay for this not the consumer! Darla
  • eddiefalero1eddiefalero1 Member Posts: 9
    I have never had a transmission flush until i reached 115,000 miles. The auto shop encouraged me to do so. 2 months after, my tranny fail on the side of the road. never had a problem with it before this. had it towed to the auto repair shop. they droped the pan and the pump was laying in it. they said that the "O" ring that hold the pump was dry-rotted. Is it possible to get dry-rotted with oil in it and all around it? or is it possible that when they did the flush, they accidently pusshed the pump out of the "O" ring and caused the problem (which is what a few people have told me). confused... I dont what to accuse a company for neglegance, if its not their fault.
  • olsen6olsen6 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 windstar gear shifter just began to give me problems... feels real loose and won't go into park without numerous tries. When you put it into gear shifter is way off drive is on the N and neutral is on the R ... have to start it in Neutral sometime to get it to start... any suggestions?
  • windstruckwindstruck Member Posts: 2
    In November '08, it put us down on Thanksgiving weekend. I was alerted to smoke coming from the back end. It was the tranny. An Independent shop, having done contract work for several Ford stealer/dealerships, said that I was lucky to have gone 75k. We were enjoying no car payments, so we paid for the repair. Now, at 110k, I heard a pop, and the van won't engage the drive gear. It works in reverse. I was told that I need another overhaul or rebuilt tranny. To me, two transmission failures under 110k is unacceptable.I feel bad for the Windstar owners who have suffered through 3 or more transmission repairs. Not to mention the abs, air bag, check engine lights and stalling, which the dealer could never fix, especially after the warranty ended.
    After 10+ years, I'm now getting recall notices from Ford. I guess they figure that now there are only a few owners of Windstars left.
    Guess what-I'll save them the trouble of having to repair this one. It's being sold for scrap. (I wouldn't even dare to donate it.)
  • dadtimdadtim Member Posts: 2
    To the Kid that has his tranny unbolted and can't seem to drop it. Did you take 4or 5 or 6 bolts out of the butterfly plate that bolts it to the Torque coverter &
    Flywheel?
  • michael2269michael2269 Member Posts: 2
    Ive read on here and other sites countless complaints of Windstars all of a sudden just quit moving. I didnt think i would be one of them but i went out to go to the store yesterday and put the van in reverse and it wouldnt move. I tried every gear and nothing.Its not going anywhere again.I cant afford a new transmission and even if i could it would have to be guaranteed for at least 100,000 miles which nobody can do. My tranny gave no indication that anything was wrong. Ive also read that when this happens to people they get their Tranny's rebuilt or replaced for thousands of dollars. Ive read on one these complaints where a guy found the pump in the bottom of the transmission pan and that was why it wasnt moving. I talked to a local transmission shop here and he says more than likely its the pump which can be fixed for 400.00 because all they have to do is drop the pan. I absolutely refuse to believe that my transmission is cooked unless i see metal shavings or chunks in the bottom of the pan.I havent fixed my van yet but when i take it in and if it is the pump then that means all these people with the same problem, that has had their transmission replaced, got screwed. Im going to do another post after i take it down to the mechanic and find out whats REALLY GOING ON HERE.Also, for all you guys that are having electrical problems. There is a computer under the cowl in the engine bay. Water drips down in there and corode :sick: s the connection and causes all kinds of problems. Why ford would put a computer outside and not on the inside of the vehicle is anybodys guess. You have to take your cowl covers off to even get to it. Maybe Ford wants you to come back for things like that so they can charge you thousands of dollars.I love the van and it hasnt given me any trouble except for a alternator. Its a poorly designed vehicle though.
    I don't know about the pump being bad, but I believe it is somewhat common for the splines in the torque converter to strip out, that is what happened to mine.
  • michael2269michael2269 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info Boss. That at least gives me a place to look. I would think that if the splines stripped out then when my mechanic drops the pan we should see some metal shavings or chunks. Im going to have him run a magnet through the oil before we do ANYTHING at all. I just have one question for you though. Did it turn out that it was a poor design on the torque converter and did you get one from somebody else other than ford when they rebuilt your tranny? The thing with the pumps is, ive heard they were built of some kind of crap metal and are prone to cracking. Also the pump seal seems to be problematic too.I'm taking my van down next week to see WTH. After that i'll probably post again just to let people know whats up with this tranny hoping i can help some people avoid this problem.
    I saw no metal shavings in mine, the shaft was fine. I believe it is a fairly common problem. From what I understand, the splined piece in the converter is only about as thick as a washer. Yes, I purchased a converter from a local tranny shop and replaced it myself. Had 93k miles on it then, has about 150k on it now. All I replaced was the converter, front seal and fluid and filter, pan gaskets are reusable.
  • jackrenode1949jackrenode1949 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2003 Windstar. Have had the transmission 'fixed' twice. The thing is slipping again and probably will need a third overhaul in three years. This a problem that FORD knew about and ignored. This van was driven lightly and I mean lightly.Has 88,320.00 miles on it. We bought it with 23,000 on it in 2005. That's 8100 miles a year. It should never have failed so many times. There should be a recall on this vehicle. FORD owes it to it's loyal customers. I won't buy another FORD product. It has already cost me about $4,000.00!!!!!! What a piece of garbage they made. Shame on you FORD.
  • fordwindstar1fordwindstar1 Member Posts: 2
    What did you find out I have a 98 ford windstar doing that to me
  • fordwindstar1fordwindstar1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 98 ford windstart with the 3.0 in it about 2 year ago I was driveing down the road and it down shif on me and did not want to go like over 30 40 so I was think the tranny was out of it so I park it well 2 day later I got in it and it was fine so I took it in and hade it look at I was told that it was fine so I hade the tranny flush out but now it did it again to me got all most home from work and it like drop speed and would not go over like 30 or 40 then I got it home and when I got up about 5 hr later to pick up my kids from school it was fine so I took it to work and it was fine but when I was on my way home it start messing up so i park it now a day later it is working again any idea what it could be there is no check engine light on and the od is not flashing
  • greta_gogogreta_gogo Member Posts: 1
    Ok, I have the same issue and I just dropped it at the ford service center. It only happens when the engine is hot and I also noticed that the speedometer drops and doesn't react until it up shifts again into second ( if it upshifts). I'm not losing fluid and I don't smell burnt fluid. It seemed to me that it was a reaction problem, and related to the speedometer and tranny. After a bit of research I found a recall issued by Ford in 2007 : Recall ID # 80548 - VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/1998/ford/windstar/recalls/#ixzz2OaTeZwWU

This may be the issue. I will know for sure tomorrow.
    If you have the overdrive button ( I don't ) on the gearshift then I suggest a youtube, there are several videos showing how to bypass the overdrive sensor.
  • gretagogogretagogo Member Posts: 1
    I had similar problems with my 98 FW and after some research I found a recall from 2009 and it covers our vans : Recall ID # 80548 - VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL Hide Details

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/1998/ford/windstar/recalls/#ixzz2PDVpZl4L

I took mine in and after diagnostics they confirmed it was the problem. Once the engine gets hot the speedometer doesn't react and it won't upshift into 1st.
    Hope this helps.
    I understand they fixed your problem. The switch the recall is referencing is for disengaging the cruise control. When mine failed after the recall was done on my F150 the only symptom was the cruise control quit working. The switch is just an on/off pressure switch that goes on the master cylinder. I believe it is a redundant switch, because with it bypassed the cruise still turns off with the brakes applied. I am fairly confident the switch has no bearing on the transmission or speedometer. It may have leaked brake fluid on another component and caused a problem.
  • susansnapp52susansnapp52 Member Posts: 1
    tock off the lines to see if it pums out fluied and it does that mean the torque converter is bad
    If it is pumping fluid out the lines when you start the van, then the spline problem I spoke of earlier is not your problem.
  • germanrgermanr Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    I am wondering if you can tell me were to find a forward clutch cylinder (drum) for my 95 windstar, 3.8, I am at my 3rd used transmission with this van. Unemployed, DAV, so I just cant go out and buy even a used car.
    Sending this out as an S.O.S.
    Thanks for the great info.
  • silverpittsilverpitt Member Posts: 1
    1998 WINDSTAR 3.0 WITH AXOD TRANS RUNNING FINE, NO CLUNKS,PINGS,GRINDING OR ANY INDICATION OF IMPENDING DOOM. SLOWING FOR RED LIGHT,LIGHT TURNS GREEN,FOOT OFF BRAKE,ON GAS. STARTS TO DOWNSHIFT,BUT INSTEAD GOES INTO NEUTRAL AND STAYS IN NEUTRAL. COASTED TO A STOP,TRIED ALL THE GEARS,NOTHING.CHECKED FLUID.FULL,NOT BURNT,NO LEAKS. HAD MY OBD2 WITH ME. PLUGGED IT IN. SAID "READ" THEN WENT TO "ERR" COULDN'T GET A CODE OR ANY READING FOR ANY PART OF THE CAR.TRIED OBD2 ON OTHER CARS,WORKS FINE.HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED THE TRANNY AND THE OBD2 SYSTEM BLOWING OUT AT THE SAME TIME AND HELP ME OUT WITH THE CONNECTION,IF THERE IS ONE.MY GLIMMER OF HOPE IS THE COMP.CAUSED THE TRANNY TO FAIL AND THEN JOINED IT.IF THE TRANNY FAILURE BLEW OUT THE COMP.,PLEASE LOOK FOR ME HITCHHIKING,OR PROSPECTING FOR A WHILE!
  • sobmazsobmaz Member Posts: 2
    I am a Windstar victim. I bought a 1999 Windstar, the Tranny went out in 2002 at 63K miles, only 3K past the warranty. The miles I had put on were mostly easy highway miles between san diego and Portland. Anyway, I did a little research and found the Windstar had an exceptionally high number of Transmission failures.

Being that I was only 3k out of warranty, I wrote a nice letter to Ford asking that they split the cost of the transmission with me. I explained I was a loyal customer and would remain if the "made things right".

My request was denied and, being a man of my word, have never purchased another Ford.
  • sobmazsobmaz Member Posts: 2
    FYI, I may be off on the time line but I remember I was within the 3 years but over on the mileage.
  • moparmike69moparmike69 Member Posts: 1
    I've read about so MANY people having the no more forward motion problem on here. No noise, smoke or any indication. I've also read about so many people replacing the transmission for thousands of dollars, sometimes 2 or 3 times. My 2003 did this same thing. I backed out of the driveway and put it in drive and nothing. Never to move again. Heres what i found out. Some of these vans have the most crappy torque converters that should never have been used to begin with. The hardened shaft shears all the teeth off the insides of the torque converter. Hard to believe it but its true.I saw this with my own two eyes. No extra metal in the bottom of the pan either. My local small shop put in a used converter for me for 800.00.If what im thinking is true, then a bunch of people have been screwed by these tranny guys just to make a couple thousand off of you. Before any of you plunk down the high dollars for a transmission that might not even be bad, make these guys show you the inside of your torque converter to see if the teeth haven't been sheared off. Dont fall for their junk transmission speech if its only a torque converter that you need. The transmissions weren't bad, the torque converters were.
    Here is my post from 2007
    I agree, I am sure a lot of trannys get sold for this reason

#54 of 220 Re: transmisson problems [buzfreely] by boss302j
    Dec 13, 2007 (10:28 pm)
    Replying to: buzfreely (Dec 12, 2007 6:20 pm)
    Same exact thing happened to me, the splined piece that turns the pump shaft stripped out in the torque converter. I replaced my converter and all is well now. I did it myself and it cost me about $250.00. 150.00 for a rebuilt converter, $50.00 for fluid and the rest was new front seal, filter etc. I would say if you aren't a mechanic I would not even think of doing this yourself. Expect to pay a decent amount for labor.
  • mommabear757mommabear757 Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys. So desperate mom of three here with one vehicle for my family. Two years ago we bought a 2001 ford Windstar. No major problems until a couple months ago. The van was idling rough so took it to a "friend" who's a mechanic. He popped the hood and said the engine was "swelling" a sign our cadalyc converter was clogged. He cut one off emptied it out in front of us and welded a pipe back on until we had the required $900 to get it properly fixed. My van was fine until two weeks later. My husband comes home from his first job long enough to change clothes and off to the second job. Well 10 mins after leaving he is home telling me the van has no "power" suddenly. Battery turns the car on but as soon as you hit the gas it shuts off. I do a bunch of research and we replace the #15 and #19 fuses. Van starts acting normal again. One week later the o/d light starts blinking and same problem comes back. Fuses are fine. If the van is in park the engine revs fine and everything sounds good. As soon as you put it in gear there's a loss of power. You can somewhat stomp the peddle and get the van to stay on. It will drive and the tranny seems to be shifting fine once you get it up to speed but you have to repeatedly stomp the gas to get it moving and even then you can tell there's no real power. O/d light still flashing. Here's some extra info too. Transmission fluid is good. Abs system is completely gone although they said my van is not covered by recall. The little bolt looking switch that was said to leak had been replaced as well as wires right there before I bought it. Battery is sometimes drained due to break lights coming on whenever they want so new battery in van. Replaced the egr valve and the throttle position sensor. Fuel button is down. Can anybody please please PLEASE help????? My hubby's email is kbrooks703@yahoo.com. We have called ford many times but as most of you know they give NO [non-permissible content removed] about us consumers. Thanks y'all!!!!
  • kgoadkgoad Member Posts: 3
    It is the Neutral Safety Switch