Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• darbowdarbow Member Posts: 30
    Wow, here i thought i was the only 01 Tribute owner to need rotors at 42k!! I blamed my wife's driving habits, oops, sorry honey!. I know about the iac valve (have a 98 Mustang-does the same thing) so everyone here can clean it for a couple bucks, go to www.SVTPERFORMANCE.com and do a search on IAC valve to get the info. Our coolant light comes on (had it replaced once). So in dismay we will be trading in this once beloved suv for a 4Runner or Pathfinder this summer when the prices of used go down, like my new rotors! ha, ha. Have a great Holiday everyone!
  • darbowdarbow Member Posts: 30
    According to our dealer, dont leave your keys in the ignition while sitting (in a garage of course), due to the battery could drain if over a long period of time. just thought id pass that along.
  • rotarykidrotarykid Member Posts: 191
    hot exhaust parts contracting. some seem to be louder than others, but normal nonetheless.
  • clasleyclasley Member Posts: 16
    Hey all, I am back after numerous computer issues. Thanks for the suggestions before. My '01 tribute ES still has a cold start issue. Its been in the shop three times and they haven't fixed it yet. There have been some things fixed by them to try to help (I would list but the invoices are in my truck which is at the dealership being looked at for this issue) and these repairs helped the problem a little but it still happens. They now are telling me that they think my problem is caused by a dirty throttle body. They want to clean it for $90. I am not very smart when it comes to things like this. My question is, would this cause a cold start issue, and is this normal for a trib that has 43,000? Any help is appreciated.
  • wijocowijoco Member Posts: 462
    It's a possible cause, yes, but do they have evidence of a dirty throttle body or are they going down the TSB list and guessing? That would be my main question.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    at the reliability ratings of an 01 Escape at MSN auto site.. It does very well...
  • jim393msjim393ms Member Posts: 1
    We've had similar problems as others: coolant light, stalling. Here are two more: water dripping in on passenger side, perhaps from luggage rack? Biggest is a valva problem - apparently. Engine light came on and dealership had problem diagnosing - I'm still not sure they are right. At first tried to claim that Champion spark plugs were the problem. Then found that #6 had compression problems. Dealer talked to us about new engine! Instead, they're working on the valves. We loved the Tribute so much as first we thought about getting another one. Now, we're talking about no more Ford products.
  • mckee4mckee4 Member Posts: 47
    For what it's worth, my mechanic (independent) recommends cleaning the throttle body on all Ford products about every 15-20K miles. Apparently the Ford throttle-body designs is condusive for this build-up. Clasley- With 43K I'd get it done anyway. $90.00 is about right based on cleaning
    products and labor. However, if you are mechanically inclined it's not too bad to clean
    and takes about 30 minutes and $10.00 worth of
    Throttle-body cleaner (3M is good and safe for
    parts finishes). I've done mine twice, and add
    BG44K as an aftermarket fuel-system treatment.
    It's about $20 a bottle, but I think worth it.
  • cbandrecbandre Member Posts: 1
    I have an '01 Escape and needed new rotors at 60K. The OEM rotors are substandard, like disposable razors. (Except the cost: $200/rotor for just the part). Any dealer line about "normal wear and tear" is baloney. For rotors to last through only one resurfacing is anything but "normal." I'll think twice before I buy another Escape if this problem isn't corrected.
  • snowmansnowman Member Posts: 540
    Try Reybestos Rotors. I have Taurus and had goodluck with them. But I am not sure they have something for Escape. Usually they have two price range, go with the expensive one. I paid $59 per rotor which was the expensive one while dealer was asking $120 for motorcraft rotor. I did the entire job myself, you couldn't imagine how easy it was.
    I have been lurking here and there to see how escape is performing for sometime. I am planning to purchase one as a second vehicle for my wife. I am aware that there are bunch of problems with early models too. I have myself Ford Taurus, it's been very good to me. One big adventage of Ford, there are informative discussion forums that you can always troubleshoot your problem and if possible fixit your self. Even you take it to dealer, you'll have some background of the issue.
    Now, there is brake issue, some sort of idling issue (Idel Air Control Module), water leak under glove compartment. These are the ones I have spotted from the Internet.
    What else I should expect from a 2003 (used one) @ 22K (approx.)Thanks
    Just the opposite is true about reliability of the 01 Escape. Go to MSN and look at their reliability data! I own an 01 and its performed and met every one of my needs. As far as brakes go.. Some forget brake wear is dependant upon the driver and driving habits. Another thing people forget is the Escape is tops in its class for stopping distances. And yet another thing people forget is there are aftermarket parts that are better and less costly than Factory parts. I am going to have my brakes checked next week on my 01 with just under 36K miles. I let you know how it goes....
  • censored2censored2 Member Posts: 1
    35,000 miles on my Escape and it has been a good auto for me. I understand that Ford has sold over 1/2 million of the Escape/Tribute twins. Complaints seem real lowon such a high volume vehicle compared to other SUVs and Crossovers. I had the dealer do the transmission TSB and the stalling TSB--the Escape is running well after the changes.
    censored12!!
  • rep62arrep62ar Member Posts: 9
    Consumer Reports online "Used Cars to Avoid"

"These lists are drawn from reliability data on 1995 through 2002 models with above- or below-average reliability. Problems with the engine, engine cooling, transmission, and drive system were weighted more heavily than other problems."

Included in the AVOID list is the Mazda Tribute(V6) 2001 & 2002. The newer models get better marks on CR. From my personal experience, I agree with Consumer Reports!

I am currently weighing whether to keep my Trib and plan on rotor replacement (based on reports in this forum) or trade this baby in. I've had the stalling issue at just a few thousand miles, IAC later, driver safety belt problem, brake light came on this week and that is just off of the top of my head!
    I hear you. If I decide to go with this, it won't be Trib. Mazda screwed me big time before (I had a 97 626). Mazda, doesn't stand behind the product even the product is in warranty period (stalling, transmission-replaced 2 times were some of the problems). They refused to fix my car, I drove to dealership and traded that sucker, took 2K hit. Took the pictures of my new car and sent them to Mazda with a letter. From now and then, I do my best to convince people not to buy Mazda.

The current Tirb/Escape transmission is my main concern that I had this crap in my X-626. Regardless of your maintenance habit this model has tendecy to fail.

Dunno, may be I get a second Taurus. These generation-4 ones are very good. That is what I am driving now. It's been very good to me too. I'll be around to see more posts.
  • baccusbaccus Member Posts: 1
    I bought a Tribute ES just 6 months ago(6000 miles)..it runs pretty good, except the clunking noise whenever the car stops after braking. The noise happens right at the moment the wheel stops..especially at regular braking(it rarely makes the when you do hard stops!)The best example of the sound would be your old style bike brakes when ever you made a hard stop. Also, if you have people on the back seat, as soon as you start braking it makes a continuous low pitch noise.

I took it to the dealer, they could not find the reason..the brakes are good. But I know that when I bought the car it did not have this problem. Also, i have noticed that whenever the hand brake(parking!) is engaged, it makes a noise while you are sitting on the rear seat...usually, old cars with bad shocks make a silmilar noise!!! Any suggestion or advise??
  • jobrien2jobrien2 Member Posts: 1
    I had my ES in for service (same dealer as purchased from)at the 54K mile mark and was told by the service mgr that I had 10% of the disk rotor left. I questioned the price ($505) and was told that the rotors could not be resurfaced. I knew the Mazda mechanic and he said that the Mazda rotors were not as robust as other manufacturers, therefore turning them down was not an option. From what I am reading in the Forum this seems to be a common case. It apparently is true for '01 and '02 year production. Too early for info on '03.
    RE: transmission "chatter". I had noticed early on (23K Mi) that when tranny down (or up)shifted from 3rd to 4th there was a vibration - similar to what you would feel if you ran over the warning tracks on major turnpikes. The Svce Mgr checked with Mazda and they suggested changing the shift (via computer) point to resolve. It worked and have not had any problems since then.
    I believe my veh was assembled in November '00 - if that helps anyone out there in Tribute land.
  • mckee4mckee4 Member Posts: 47
    To any concerned. The aftermarket parts for the Escape/Tribute are out there at reputable auto parts stores. I just priced a set (2) of replacement Wagner brand rotors for the front brakes. They are $96.00 for the pair, a vast
    difference from the OEM (which are composite and non-turnable). Raybetsos rotors are only nominally more per pair. I checked just to make
    sure and the replacement rotors are turnable
    and should be good for up to two (2) or three (3)
    turnings. Replacement brake pads are about $60
    for the ceramic variety (longer-life/low-dust).

The next time I need brakes I'm definitely going the DIY route with a mechanic friend. Could come in a few hundred dollars cheaper than with the Ford dealership last time ($480.00).

Snowman - I wondered if the tranny was from the
    the 626 model and you're right, it is. However,
    upon talking to my current mechanic he claims that
    the particular tranny in the current Escape/Tribute is no more problematic than other
    transmissions. However, I told him that from what others have said and I've heard that this model tranny may have some problems starting at
    ~75K miles. However, the upside is that improvements were made and upgrades were done. I
    just don't know if the improvements/upgrades were
    done pre- or post- Escape/Tribute.

I've added 8oz. of X1-R friction eliminator to
    the transmission at my mechanic's request. I don't know if it'll help in the long run, but so
    far no problems as yet. I will be getting a full
    (including filter) transmission flush at 50K miles
    and will add an additional 4 oz. of X1-R as recommended.
    My first problem came @ 32K, The gearbox was whining. It took me while to convince the dealer lift the car up and put it on dyno. Then someone listened the gearbox and they confirmed that it needed to be replaced. Now If you asked me how I heard the gearbox whining, well delaer asked me too...:-)
    Be alert for whining.

For your brakes, you decided well. AS long as you use ceramic pads (I used QS from Raybestos) you won't hear any squeak...

Good luck...
  • weaponousweaponous Member Posts: 38
    60,000km (about 40,000 miles). No issues on 2003 XLS V6. Runs like a champion. Been through 1 winter so far and about 20 trips to the cottage (150 miles roundtrip).
    other chat rooms about Escapes/Tribs. Seems like most mechanics/techs are reccommending a fluid/flush of the transmission every 30,000 miles in these vehicles. I did mine about 28,000.. Spread the word to other Escape/Trib owners. Also, don't forget to flush your radiator fluid every 2 years. This too can save you some dollars down the road...
  • mhaynie1mhaynie1 Member Posts: 15
    I have a 2001 Tribute. This winter, for the first time, I have been experiencing excessive fogging of my windows while driving in cold rain. The moisture built-up on the windows is so bad that I have had to pull off the road on more than one occasion - water droplets are forming on the inside of the windshield and door windows. This seems a bit excessive. This was not a problem the past two winters. I've tried every climate control setting imaginable with no luck. I consulted the owners manual and discovered that the a/c compressor, which removes moisture, does not operate if the air temp is below 43 F, which doesn't do me much good when it is raining and in the 30s. Is that a normal feature on a car/suv? Has anybody else had this problem and, if so, are there any solutions (other than continuing to tinker with the climate control settings)?
    I find Ford's 30K interval very unrealistic. Even tough I have Taurus, I get it done every 20K. Ford transmissions run hotter then other makes. Many people use aux.trans cooler. So I believe early is the better.

Mhynie: Have you tried to turned he heat on with AC on. This will increase cabin temp and your AC will kick in.
    I believe this is a characteristic for the Escape/Trib. At one point my windows too would fog up pretty fast. Then when I would initially turn on the defrost they would actually get worse! This would only last about 30seconds - a minute then the defrost would kick in. I found this to be annoying so I bought some rainX anti-fog, put this on and walla! no more fogging issues. However you do have to reapply about once a month or so.. There are probably other brands out there.. any car parts store should have either rain-X brand or another type brand.. Helps tons...
  • wijocowijoco Member Posts: 462
    This is speculation, but I wonder if you can reprogram the A/C controller to ignore the minumum temperature requirement? Might be worth a phone call to a dealer. Sure seems like not being able to see out of your windshield is a lot worse than whatever their reason for the A/C cutoff!
  • rep62arrep62ar Member Posts: 9
    Help! We had decided to keep the Trib (after my husband talked me into a new Tahoe for him - but that is another story). Got it detailed and looking spiffy. On my way home today, emission light comes on. Warranty expires Monday (purchased vehicle 1/12/01) and today is Saturday! Just to get the problem on record, I called the dealership this evening. Even though service department was closed, I did talk to sales manager. Hopefully, I won't get jerked around on the date issue since Monday is 36 months to the day for warranty? Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Scape2 - Thanks for the tip on the transmission flush. Will do.
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    the emission light came on because you emission carbon filter is either dirty or clogged. This can happen because of a tank of BAD gas, or because moisture got into you system. Add a can of dry gas to you next fill up help with the moisture (common problem in winter). But the light DOES have to be reset at dealer. Also Oxygenated fuel can cause the problem too. Oxygenated fuel for those who live in the southern states is an additive they add to winter fuel in the NorthEastern States... not sure about other northern states or northwestern states (Scape will probaly verify if they use it), It is usually common fuel from Nov 1st to Apr 1st around here. Hope that helps

Odie
    My Homepage
  • scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    warrantee on air polution system is a lot longer than the usual 3 years. Federa law mandates coverage of 7 years or 10 years I'm not sure which. You just maybe covered.
  • patstributepatstribute Member Posts: 1
    I drive a 2001 Tribute ES V6 with about 30k miles on it. Recently and intermittently, the gas pedal appears to be stuck in the idle position when the vehicle is stopped. Strong pressure needs to be applied to get the vehicle to move and very often too much gas is supplied and it surges forward. Has anyone encountered a similar problem?
    Thanks
  • mhaynie1mhaynie1 Member Posts: 15
    I have a 2001 Tribute and have the exact same problem, including the surging. I plan to bring it to the dealer's attention - hopefully I won't get the standard "cannot duplicate customer's complaint" response.
    Have you guys checked t.body. May be too much carbon makes plate sticking. Common for Ford products.
  • rotarykidrotarykid Member Posts: 191
    theres actually a situation where vacuum holds the throttle shut. not as common as the actual gummed up type situation, but does happen. throttle plates are adjusted to be open a little to cure this and other problems..
  • domettgdomettg Member Posts: 55
    Has anyone noticed that the rear hatch shocks are weak especially in cold weather? They almost proved no assist at all when lifting the hatch.
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    that is a common problem in cold weather. Wait till your rear wiper only clears 1/2 the radius of its path (i.e. - only top portion or only bottom portion) It is best to stop by a local supermarket or walmart and pick up a box of alcohol wipes. Just wipe your front / rear wipers with 2 wipes per wiper and you will clean off alot of the road salt and grime that gets into the groves of your wipers, it will also make you wipers last longer.

Odie
  • 01mazdadpg01mazdadpg Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 01 Mazda Tribute from a friend last summer. We have run studded snow tires for the last 20 years. The noise with this car is unbelievable!! I really like the cars performance in the snow, the size of the car. I wish it had better gas mileage. But, am ready to find out if Mazda has done something about the noise, or trade in for a Ford Escape, as they seem quieter. Any comments?? Thanks dpg
  • yahaniyahani Member Posts: 8
    I just got my 2003 Escape out of the shop. When I bought it 3 months ago, it developed a waterfall, gurgle noise sound in my dashboard. Weird........
    Anyway, the service department put in a filter near the cowl area. It seems the factory forgot to install them on some. So if anyone has a water noise, let your service dealer know what the problem is. It will save time of them having to decide what it is. Hope this helps....Other than that, I love my Escape & wouldn't have anything else. As for snow, what fun it was to drive. I had No problems at all. I seen big 4X4's stuck and cruised right passed them.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    yahani,
    Did they install the cabin air filter by any chance? It resides under the cowl on the passenger side of the vehicle. If water poured down through it's grill when the filter wasn't there you could hear a "waterfall" sound from time to time I would imagine. I myself never heard it.

Those don't come standard and you either have to DIY or have someone else do it. You can get Fram replacements at Wal-Mart for around $5. A Ford dealer will charge you somewhere in the neighborhood of $30 for the filter and installation.

I installed one several months ago and have nothing but good things to say about it. It was easy to do (about 15-20 minutes because the screws are rather small and you have to be careful not to lose them) and the dust level in the cabin has decreased noticeably.

Note: The Fram filter is not a HEPA filter and Neither is Ford's. You can get them though.
  • yahaniyahani Member Posts: 8
    baggs32,
    It probably was the cabin filter. The service lady called it a pollen filter. I didn't get charged anything because of the warranty. I haven't heard the water noise though and I picked it up yesterday. I bought mine Oct. 30th, 2003.
    Now I can't remember if it did it or not, but now when I'm in Park, if I put on the brakes I hear a clicking noise. Does your escape do that when in Park?
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Yes, all of them click. In fact, most, if not all, other vehicles from different manufacturers do this as well. It's just not as loud in some as it is in others.

What you're hearing is the gear shift lock disengaging when you depress the brake pedal. You'll notice that you can't put the truck in gear before you hear that click.

FYI if that ever fails, you can open that little black square panel on top of the steering wheel and push the little button inside. It is the manual override switch for that system.
  • vkescapevkescape Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2002 Escape XLT with 33K miles. For the past 4 months the front passenger window & the dash board rattle. When I open the passager window about 1/4 or half way down the rattling stops.
    I took it to the dealership 4 times to have it fixed but within a couple of days the trouble starts again. It is just annoying other than that I love the vehicle. Anybody else having similar problems ?? Pls share
  • tndudetndude Member Posts: 1
    02whttrib:

I own a '01 LX Trib 4WD w/ 48k mi, have had most of the common prob.s had to replaced tires @ 25k, had throttle body replaced as engine wouldn't idle, replace pads/rotors @ 38k. Pads & Rotors were none Mazda (I think), done by my local Firestone/Mastercare.

However, now I have a grinding noise when braking as you describe in msg#2091. Firestone & my Dealer have both inspected and verdict has been that nothing is wrong, everything is great, properly aligned, etc. and noise probably due to pads overheating and 'glazing'.

Have you had a resolution w/ your problem??
    Anyone else have any ideas??
  • arizonajoearizonajoe Member Posts: 123
    Guys - Does anyone know why the Escape has a 3,000 mile recommended oil change interval while the Tribute has a 5,000 recommended mile oil change interval? This is for the V6 models in both cases.
  • gheimurgheimur Member Posts: 88
    My 2001 Ford Escape has a 5000 mile recommended change interval from the factory. The dealer booklet may have recommended 3000. I change the oil and filter every 4000 with Motorcraft 5w20 Semi Synthetic. $1.77 a quart at Walmart. 47k on the vehicle.
  • turksteritisturksteritis Member Posts: 95
    -41 today & driving down the hi-way the power steering hose blew off. There was no mazda dealer with in 100 miles so when i called my dealer he said to bring back a reciept & I would get re imbursed. After talking to Ford dealer he says this is a common problem on escapes in cold weather. Hose was replaced & I drove 140 miles home in -36 with no probs. I am just wondering how bad this problem is?
  • arizonajoearizonajoe Member Posts: 123
    gheimur - Do you have the V6?

Motorcraft is the official Ford parts brand, right? They sell it at Wal-Mart?
  • phalangesphalanges Member Posts: 5
    Oil leak-16,758 miles. The repair of this oil leak was more involved than a valve cover gasket as previously reported. The leak was "found head by timing cover leaking R&R engine cradle. Removed intake,front timing cover.Removed heads, cleaned heads and block, reinstalled heads with new bolts and replaced oil pan gasket." The engine was removed and replaced. They still could not get the car to run. The service writer said there was service bulletin on the oil sensor relay. It was malfunctioning and causing a low oil pressure reading thereby shutting the engine off (part # 1U5Z-9278-BA for the ford mechanics out there).
    I thought my oil leak problems were over.
    I took the car on a trip and found it was leaking more oil than a saudi oil field (1 qt every 500mi). Texaco wanted to put an oil derrick on the manifold and wildcat for oil.
  • phalangesphalanges Member Posts: 5
    SOrry, i hit the wrong key and posted the message before i finished.
    After the trip and 5 quarts of oil, the service manager stated the problem was a leaking oil pan gasket. This was replaced as well as the valve cover gasket and others. The gaskets come in a set. Maybe this will end the problem. I have never owned a car that leaked this much oil in my life! It's strange that there is a severe gasket failure in this motor under 20,000 miles. I assumed this was the same motor that the Taurus used for a decade and the bugs were worked out. We all know what happens when you assume........I will post further problems as they occur.
    duratec has been around for sometime. Its roots are actually from Europe. This engine has been proven to be quite bullet proof... Sorry to hear about your issues..
  • george97george97 Member Posts: 1
    ARE THERE ALOT OF PROBLEMS WITH THE 2004 ESCAPE LIMITED TRANSMISSION