Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Windstar Electrical Problems

Comments

• jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    12 hours of diagnostics to find a bad alternator??? I'd be a lot more angry at the incompetent service department than at Ford on that one.
  • gcastorgcastor Member Posts: 2
    After I posted the original message, we drove home and the car died. We bought a new battery and that was enough to get us home. We will now try a new alternator. This will be the 3rd new alternator in 5 years. I still don't know what the zapping sound is when you turn on the right blinker??? Any ideas on that one? Maybe a short somewhere? Hubby does not seem to think so??
  • stapestape Member Posts: 1
    My door open light stays on and beeps at low speed. I need to find where the door ajar switch is located. Is in the door or under the dashboard? It seems to be just the driver side door. It is on a 1995 Ford Windstar van.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Go back to post #1 on this forum...door ajar light problems started this off.

We fixed this issue on tailgate and other doors by spraying lubricant in the proper places.
  • hrozariohrozario Member Posts: 9
    I forgot to mention about the lights. If you drive just over 20 to 30 kph the dome light goes off. The ringing also stops. But when you slow back down to 20 or 30 kph the
    'ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding Mother of Mercy shoot that damn noise already'
    comes back on. It may go away after awhile but that again is like a lottery. My luck has never been good with this vehicle however there are times like in extremely cold weather and bad roads where it helps me out of bad sticky situations. I guess it is one of the reasons why it stays with me.
    Doy you know what generates the ding sound? I would like to disconnect it so it stops for good. :cry:
    Is your so suspected alternator problem still there? I had a similar issue and it was related to the ignition switch. I actually thought it was the starter or alternator too. There is a white block under the dash which when finally pulled out showed signs of a little burn or sorting. This can intermittently cause the same problem till it burns out completely. The mechanic I finally took it too traced the wiring diagram to this and when he replaced it I did not have any more issues with that particular issue.
  • dlowery2008dlowery2008 Member Posts: 1
    Anybody with any ideas on these problems?. 2002 Windstar Sport, it has two driving lights in the front bumper, which come on with the headlights (no separate switch). They've suddenly started to come on by themselves after the vehicle is switched off, but also switch off too!. Secondly the radio/CD stopped working, together with the lights for the power windows, mirrors on the control pads and the windows and mirrors too. Occasionally these devices will start to work, but not for long. Also the door light for the sliding driver side door suddenly starts flashing and then stops!. All the while the van is driving well, headlights, dash and console lights all work as does the odometer, tach, gauges and power locks. Perhaps it's a Poltergeist!
  • dcantillondcantillon Member Posts: 1
    Battery is losing juice. New Alternator confirmed as charging. Just had plugs replaced and my fear is the mechanic screwed something up. The lights go dim as Van is running but idle pace changes and lights brighten as engine guns a little.
    The Battery light came on, the brake light came on, and the ABS light all came on at the same time and there were three beeps. Am I doomed? It was running fine when I had the plugs changed and now this, but I don't trust the mechanic anymore. He wanted $400 to replace a $35.00 line. Help!
  • anothpiece0shanothpiece0sh Member Posts: 1
    Can anybody HELP I have read alot of the problems everyone is having and I have most of them .lets start at the begining- have rebuilt tranny -new speed sensor- new transmition range sensor(neutral start) - small problems are, flashing OD light intermittant door chimes ding ding ding-- :mad: big problem Hard shift out of first bucking like a horse in second/third of you drive faster it settles down and almost drives normal. Im about to drive it off a cliff. Has anyone had this problem and had it fixed? Im thinking electrical something. computer(PCM)? mabye. :confuse:
  • danmillprdanmillpr Member Posts: 1
    hy my ford windstar 1996 the cruise control no work i check all cable and fuses please hlp me :cry: por favor y gracias
    Try spraying wd40 into the door latches. I have suffered this for years and thought about shooting the dang gadget that goes ding ding ding. I heard about the wd40 trick on this board and gave it a try. I sprayed liberally into the from left and right doors including the sliding. That was probably a month ago and so far there is no more overhead lights coming on and ding ding ding. I hope this helps you.
    Before you try to exorcise your wife, I think you should stay away from Motorcraft parts. I have had bad luck with Motocraft and now use OEM instead where available.This happened for my van and my wife's Escape. Changed my brake pads, battery, alternator, starter and more to OEM parts.
  • teria1984teria1984 Member Posts: 1
    hi i purchased a 99 ford windstar and so far i have put at least 300.00 into repairing it. I had to fix something in the engine that the place i brought it to said it was something electrical at the front of the engine. I went to Pep Boys and they told me not to use my ciggarette lighter. There is one in the dash right below the cd player and there is one right at the foot of the passenger side front seat. Now I plug my Radar Detector into the one thats at the foot and it turns on but when i plug my GPS in instead it doesnt want to work. The one under my cd player just doesnt work at all in general. I have checked fuses and they are all good. But im wondering if there is something that I am missing. If anyone has any suggestions on how to get both ciggarette lighters working please let me know. It would be greatly appreciated.
  • eagleinbceagleinbc Member Posts: 1
    First, I'm glad I read this! I'm going to fix my brake-light situation in the morning now!

Second, my dashlights all flicker on and off, randomly. It doesn't seem to matter if it's raining or sunny, hot or cold out..

Any ideas? It's been driving me nuts for about 3 years now..
  • whenry2whenry2 Member Posts: 1
    my 2003 ford windstar alway had its problems like windows not working door ajar lights, brake lights, tire lights.... then yesterday the radio stopped and the brake lights went on the windows wouldnt work then it wouldnt start when i try to start it the hazards come on the headlights flash all sorts of crazy stuff any advise?
  • rolandotrrolandotr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 windstar and I am having a very similar issue. What was the resolution to your issue? Thanks in advance.
  • rkretschmerrkretschmer Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 windstar and out of the blue it would start but not go in gear

also when the key was in, no key left in chime, no lights on chime, no brake lights, no hazard lights, no headlights

when running - sometimes no brake lights, no fuel guage
    when shut off - the headlights would stay on and brake lights - if they worked

dealer was great!! saved a tow by starting, turning key back 1 click, shifting to neutral, restarting in neutral, then drive

then they found short in wiring harness directly under air filter - $100
    there was no power to fuse 11, fuse 16 and 5 on same circuit

I had to reply because this forum sure helps when you get stumped

good luck
  • tim4746tim4746 Member Posts: 2
    Thank-you in advance. Our 2000 Windstar's battery slowly drains when vehicle off. Something electrical is draing the battery. While driving sometimes the dome lights will automatically come on, the radio skips between stations and between the radio and cd player. This skipping around occurs especially after the turning signal is turned on or the power windows are used or after hitting a bump in the road. The running lights stay on at times when the vehicle is off and we have to restart and turn off the vehicle to get them to turn off. The past several months we've been disconnecting the battery whenever the vehicle is off to avoid having to jump our van each morning. (We have replaced the battery as well) Any help would be appreciated for our frustration. Our mechanic suggested we take it to a dealer. Is that our only option? Thank-you
  • pjmackpjmack Member Posts: 1
    HI... I am having a different problem, but read in the owners manual that fuse #6 is a pull fuse, used to save the energy of the battery if you are going to have the car sit for a long time. But, when you pull that fuse out, you have to reset your radio and entertainment system. Check online w/Ford for the owners manual, and read how to reset the system. GOOD LUCK
  • snooopy1snooopy1 Member Posts: 1
    i bought a used 2001 windstar sport & within a month the alternator pooched, i replaced it, if your having starting/battery issues it may be a short but in my case i found the culprit after testing the battery-tho old was still charging tho "undercharged"--Answer; brakelights remained on unbeknownsed to me tell i saw it one morning , now i lift my brakepeddle after turning off vehicle! sidenote; all weird-- none-starting noises, things not working correctly are signs of a weak or Deminished battery period "MOST" anyhow gl all :)
  • crissyhcrissyh Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Ford Windstar. We bought it used in 2005. Shortly after we got it the window motor died. We had it replaced and it lasted about one year and now needs to be replaced again. The rear window also does not work on the same side of the van. The interior lights seem to have a mind of their own sometimes flickering on and off. The front heat stopped working this past winter(only blowing out cold air) although we still have rear heat. But I noticed today that the front air seems to be working fine but the rear air is not very cold. It almost seems like it is just blowing from the vent. And the first time I drive the van in the morning (mainly when it's colder outside) it bounces at the first red light I come to until I give it some gas.
  • fixeddailyfixeddaily Member Posts: 11
    Hello. I bought a 2002 Windstar SEL last summer, and everything worked except the driver window. Within two months, the heater, rear window and rear right blinker went out. Also, the check engine light is stuck on, and sometimes when idling the RPMs jump from 600 to 1500 and it almost dies on me. I managed to fix the rear right blinker. Then I had the heater checked out, and the mechanic said it could be an actuator (spelling?) or a problem on the heater box itself. He said I should be prepared to pay dearly if they rip everything apart...expensive to replace the box and many hours of labor. Any ideas on how to begin fixing all these problems? Or, has anyone else had these problems and have some advice (like sell the van..haha)? Now I believe the old joke of FORD being an acronym for Fixed Or Repaired Daily. :sick: :lemon:
    Me again. I forgot to mention that you can hear a clicking inside the dashboard, and it may be that the door on the heater box is stuck and allows outside air only. The heat in the rear works, just not up front. Also, the A/C works up front and it blows air, just not hot, so it's not the blower motor.
  • bnecollinsbnecollins Member Posts: 3
    I just fixed my heater this morning.It blew hot air only. The clicking noise under the dash is the Heater control box that regulates the temp. It is a little white box attached to the black heater housing with 3 small screws, it has one electical plug. it is located right behind the ash tray.a gear gets inside and i just got one at a salvage yard. really an easy fix. I had the same problem with electrical and it was because when I had new brake put in the Mechanic disconnected the battery and never told me. My check engine light would come on and the interior lights would flash on and off and the idle speed would go from 600 to 1500. You just have to reset.the computer. Look in you manual and it will tell you how to do it. Do it exactly as it says in the manual. I did Mine over 1 1/2 years ago and it has been fine every since I reset it. If you can,t find it in the manual post again and I will try to help.
  • gee7879gee7879 Member Posts: 1
    I just wanted to let you know that i just had similar issues with my 99 windstar, It ended up being a bad connection on the fuse box inside by the drivers feet, the whole wire loom connection became unattcahed to its proper socket, I advise checking all these, mine was a on the top right hand corner of the fuse box if you are looking straight at it, iI had to remove the fuse box to discover this, took about 10 minutes to take apart and fix, I have no clue how it became dislodged, but it did.
    I hope this helps best regards.
  • tomt4tomt4 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Windstar with 100,000 miles. Last week my car was dead but I have a new battery. The garage I took it to said that the drivers side sliding door was not disengaging the switch, that when the door was slammed hard, the battery did not go dead. They replaced the switch, claimed there was no more drain on the battery, we took it home around 5pm, next day went to start the car around 10am and the battery was dead again. Anyone having this problem?
  • tomt4tomt4 Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever find out what was wrong. I'm having the same problem and no one seems to be able to find the problem.
  • tkelly1740tkelly1740 Member Posts: 9
    Can you tell me your issues? I just had the dash go completely dead, turned the car off and all the lights came on, the radio wouldn't go off and the fan stayed running. Then, when trying to re start, I didn't even get a click. Right now I am confused with the battery disconnected.
    What ended up being your problem? I just had my dash go dead so I got out and turned the car off. Then the headlights went on, the blower wouldnt stop, and the radio would not shut off- and to top it off - the engine wont even turn over now. Please help.
    So did you buy the whole white box from the salvage yard, or just a gear?

Also, the guy who sold me the van didn't have the owner's manual? could you tell me how to reset the computer, or direct me to a website?

Thanks for your help.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Check here for where you can download an owners manual.
  • katinhatkatinhat Member Posts: 1
    Help! Electrical demons have taken up residence in my 2000 Windstar with 60K miles. I need to sell the van but no one will buy it until I evict the nasty creatures. The dome and/or interior lights often stay on when the car is turned off. When I go over bumps or turn corners the interior lights flash and the door locks go up and down and the open-door alarm starts dinging. The keyless entry no longer works. The battery is usually dead even when everything seems to be turned off. It has a new battery and alternator. The fuses have been checked. One mechanic said that it was a switch in the door and fixed that. It seemed to help for about a week. Any ideas?
  • widge3widge3 Member Posts: 1
    I recently had the same battery issue. After a new battery my car was again dead by morning. It was traced to the passenger seat motor for moving the seat back and forth. It was giving a continous draw to the battery. It was repalced but still the new one also would draw At this point without going back to the Ford dealer (many issues there) it is now disconnected with the seat as far back as possible. No one had heard of this before Good luck very frustrating
    I bought the whole box for a couple bucks but since it was a different electrical connection I opened it up and just used the one gear that was stripped.
    to reset the computer you.
    First disconnect the battery for a few minutes and then reconnect the terminals.
    Then:
    1.Put van in park with parking brake on and all accessories off and start the engine.
    2.Run the engine until it reaches normal operating temp and then let it idle at least one minute
    3. Turn the air conditioner on and let the engine idle at least a minute.
    4.Make sure your parking brake is on and put you foot on the brake. With the air conditioner on put the van in drive and let the engine idle for at least one minute.
    5. Drive the van around to finish the learning process. usually you have to drive the van for over 10 miles to complete the process and make sure you do it at highway speeds also.
    I have done this to my van and car that a friend of mine has. He was told by the shop he needed a new transmission because it was surging. I asked if he changed battery lately and he said he had. I reset his computer and he has not had a problem since.....
    I found the white box behind the ash tray, now I just need to get one at a junkyard. Thanks.

I had the check engine light tested at AutoZone, and they gave me a list of 8 things it COULD be. Great. That wasn't very helpful, especially considering some of the parts cost $140 to replace (Mass Air Flow Sensor). The guy said I should try spraying some MAF sensor cleaner in the air flow tube and replacing the air filter. I guess I'll try that for now and see if it works.

I could use some help on resetting the computer. After I do that cleaning on the MAF sensor, won't I need to reset the computer to see if the check engine light goes off?

Thanks again.
    Sorry, I didn't see this reply before writing my last message. Thanks.
    I finally got this fixed. There is a technical service bulletin on this from Ford and here is the fix. Fuse # 16 is blown therefore the ignition off signal is not being sent to the front end module. Pin # 11 (Windstar wiring diagram) on wiring harness C-239 is shorted. The diagram will show you where the wire goes to a front harness on the fuse box from the back of the instrument cluster. I simply cut the wire at both ends and ran a new wire. I have a 1999 Windstar- hope this helps. I spent 2 weekends looking for this and finally figured it out- cost nothing to fix and only took about 30 minutes. It did take me about 3 hours to put the car back together though.
    Not sure about the door locks but the Windstars are notorious for the interior lights going haywire. My Ford buddy told me to check the brown and pink wire circuit # 1360 under the top area of the front right c-pillar. I'll be danged, the wire was chaffed and just needed some tape. I also had a tricky fix on the headlight and blower motor posted earlier and found that my parking brake light worked which had not worked before- so maybe one fix will get both working. Good luck and hope this helps. I love it when people take the time to enter their fixes on these boards.
    So here I am again with another electrical issue with the Windstar. This time it is not so much a electrical issue but instead being cheated by Advantage Ford in Calgary.
    My rear windows stopped working. Initially it was the right rear window followed later by the left. I had the dealership check it out. After an expensive $400 to look see, I was told both the motors have burnt out and needs replacement. Cost @ $400 each and with labor it would be over $1500.00. I walked away than thank god I did. I thought I would just not use the rear windows ever. Then recently, I was waiting for my wife who was late returning home due to a transit failure. While waiting, I started removing the switch to check it. I found that the window was working and it sure seems the switches are flaky. I just do not know how to remove the wires from the switch block. It seems crimped on or something. There are about 6 wires (have to check). If I can get it off I could certainly get a replacement.
    Is there anyone here who knows how these wires come off?

What boils me is when Advantage Ford in Calgary put the panels back after telling me both motors were kaput, they did not do a good job. The panels were not put back correctly and they did not replace ay fasterners (plastic rivets).
  • ah98ah98 Member Posts: 1
    On the drive home tonight, my windstar's abs light and brake light came on. That is frequent lately, but then the air bag light came on. I thought that's new. Next was the left blinker, but my blinker wasn't on. I couldn't get it off. I tried moving the control and turning on the hazards (that didn't come on). Then the lights started to dim and more dash lights started coming on. So my first thought was that the alternator was going out. I shut the car off and tried to crank it, but it was dead. We waited about 5 minutes and tried it again and it cranked up. On the drive home the lights were dim, that made me think it was the alternator for sure, but the head lights begain to blink on and off for about a mile. They finally shut off for good. Once we reached home, I put it into park and turned the car off and the lights came on and would not shut off. That includes the brake lights and dash panel. Any suggestion on what sort of electrical problem this could be?
  • captblycaptbly Member Posts: 2
    :cry: ah98. When I read your problem I saw me last night. 12:00AM last night on a road with no street lights. I've never been so scared in my life. had my daughter in the car with me and was just waiting to be slammed in the back from a car behind me. (talk about a law-suit waiting to happen) Couldn't see the side of the road to pull off finally by the headlights of the car coming behind me i was able to pull over. turned off car and restarted it. Lights came back on giving me enough time to pull in to the 711 up the street. Tried to get it back home but did it again and had a police officer escort me to nearest store off the road where it is right now. Would like to see how much this is going to suck me dry and if there is a recall on what ever is the problem. I should sue Ford for scaring 20yrs off my life span. After looking at this web site i would think that ford would take responsablity for some of these problems before they kill someone.
    You will have to reset the computer. While you are at it change your PCV valve It may fix your check engine light and thats only a few bucks.
  • azharjazharj Member Posts: 3
    I have 2000 windstar the door switch fuctions at its own will. Sometime functions nice while at times the light in dashboard remains on, front foot light remains off but rear foot lights are on. How to fix it, where the contact switch is located?
  • matt70matt70 Member Posts: 2
    Can you give any more information about the headlights and blower motor on, with the ignition off. My Hayes manual does not show C-239 wiring harness. I did find a wire attached to the pin #11 on one of the wiring harnesses, on the back of the fuse box. this also corresponds with the fuse #16. Does this wire go to the front module, and the back of the instrument cluster? Did you have to remove the cluster? Do you remember the color code on the wire? Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.
    I had to buy the ford wiring diagram (ebay 10 bucks) to find the wire. It goes from the back of the instrument panel to the interior fuse box. The instrument panel had to be removed, I cut the wire at both ends and connected a new wire to both ends instead of trying to find out where that wire was shorted.
  • matt70matt70 Member Posts: 2
    tkelly1740: Thanks so very much for your help! I purchased a complete color wiring diagram from www.ahdol.com . With the information you provided, I was able to make the repair today, and get the van running again. This internet thing is great.
  • piratafeopiratafeo Member Posts: 1
    Hello all I am having a heck of a time with this van. The headlights stay on tailligths stays on the windows roll down and the wipers work all with the key off. The starter will not engage and I have no power to the key switch.(when I turn the thing on or off I get nothing) I took the dash apart and unhooked the light switch. The lights were still on. I pulled all the fuses in the interior fuse box out and still lights were on. I had to pull both the relays out in the battery fuse box to shut head lights off. I can take a jumper wire from pos post on battery and with the key on and all the fuses in and everything hooked up and roll the starter by jumping pos to energizer post on solenoid. Unit will not start up. I know I am not getting current to my key switch to turn on the ignition. Does any body have any idea where to look for porblem. I have chased wires now for two days and can find no fault. I even went into fusebox and looked for short. Is this a computer problem or a wire problem? I did unhook ecm by drives inside fuse box with every thing else hooked up and got a clicking inside box like a relay was working. Any advice would be a great help :sick:
    Take a look at post # 89
  • cdog707cdog707 Member Posts: 4
    For some reason the fuse blows that controls the Speedometer, the Brake Safety interlock, and the A/C-Heater, I'm thinking it may be the damper motor cuz when it did work I couldn't get cold air to blow even though I could hear the blower. If I replace it, it may work for a day a week or 5 mins, I don't want to waste money on fuses. Anyone have a similar problem that could enlighten me? Thanks.
  • benniebbennieb Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Ford Winstar with 65k miles. A few months ago the interior lights will come on and off at will when I am driving. Now the interior lights do not come on when I open the door. Also the door locks do not automatically lock. When I turn the car off the radio does not stay on like it use to. Now when I lock the car a few minutes later the horn starts blaring and the light go on and off as if someone broke into it. This happened when the door locks started working again and the radio stays on after the car isshut off. Any ideas?