Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Windstar Warning Lights/Codes

2»

Comments

• edandjenedandjen Member Posts: 1
    well i have the same problem with my 1999 wind star and i found out the od means transmision problems get to a dealer as soon as u can my car goese in the shop tommorow for transmision.......................
  • kingpattonkingpatton Member Posts: 1
    Could you tell me where you bought you code manual , I would like to get one. Thank you, a windstar owner.
  • nezercurrnezercurr Member Posts: 1
    Hi FYI

I just called two Autozones. Sorry to say they don't have a code checker for the ABS Lights only the Check Engine Light. The ABS is a seperate system. We are going through the same thing right now.

You can go to this link to read more on the ABS issues and a new recall on this...... http://www.fordwindstarrecall.info/

Good luck to all of US. :cry:
  • randwwalkerrandwwalker Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have a 2002 Ford Windstar. After starting the van, a series of 5 beeps are heard and it repeats itself 4 more times. My airbag light is out. Could this cause the alarm? Also, is it common for these lights to burn out or do you think it is an airbag problem? I am also having the same problem with the ABS light appearing occasionally. I think this is the ECM. I have read about this on other sites. I hope Ford recalls that problem! Thanks for your help!
  • smiddletonsmiddleton Member Posts: 1
    Is there an easy way to reach the back 3 sparkplugs? or do i have to remove alot of other parts that are in the way?
  • ebellmanebellman Member Posts: 2
  • ebellmanebellman Member Posts: 2
    The factory alarm (horn and blinking lights) in our 2000 SE keeps randomly going off whenever we lock the van. Unfortunately the PATS is on the same fuse as the PCM so it can't be simply disabled that way.

Anyone else experience this? Is the PATS it's own computer that maybe just needs replaced? Can it be disable by an authorized service tech?

Thanks!
  • edwinwedwinw Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 ford windstar in which the door ajar warning sounds all the time below about 15 miles per hour. The doors are secure. It is a back up vehicle and i just want to silence the alarm.
  • alice9alice9 Member Posts: 1
    I have a windstar 2001, also has the ABS light and brake lights coming on together.
    I need a fix and no one in Utah seems to know how. Please anyone with information
    on what to do send me anything. My son will fix it, just needs to know how. Cannot
    pass inspection with lights coming on.
  • fixeddailyfixeddaily Member Posts: 11
    Hi, I have a 2002 Windstar SEL. When I took it to have the emissions tested, it failed. Of course, they don't test the emissions, they just hook up their adapter to the computer. The Diagnostic Trouble Codes returned were P0171 and P0174 (system too lean, bank 1 and bank 2, respectively). Does anyone know exactly what needs to be fixed? I was talking to a mechanic recently, and he said he's pretty sure that some fuel injection seals are bad, they're letting too much air in, and that's why it's giving those codes. He said it's a common problem with the Windstars, and it would cost $300 - $400 to fix. Has anyone else had these codes before? Thanks.
  • redsuz410redsuz410 Member Posts: 4
    I am having the same series of 5 beeps; 5 times (on my 2003 Windstar) - I brought it to the Ford dealer & they want $100.00 per hour to figure out what it is. I told them I suspected the airbag system but they still want to keep it for hours. If the mechanic isn't too bright, it could cost me a considerable amount of money. I took it back after 1 hour. They are supposed to be certified mechanics & I know more about it than they do. Is there anyone out there that can help? It's driving me crazy!
  • tinman54tinman54 Member Posts: 1
    Remove cowl cover or they can be reached from underneath. Place van on front ramps.
    So, I should change the sparkplugs? - Sorry your message is unclear.
  • toddo1966toddo1966 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same beeping in my Windstar. Can you tell me if you found what it was or where I can find additional info?
    Sorry, I haven't been able to find out any more information, other than it may have something to do with the airbag & it may stop if you disconnect (then reconnect) the connections under the 2 front seats. The connections look rather complicated & I'm afraid of breaking them. I'd like to drive this thing off a cliff, but can't do that, so I just blast the music. If you learn anything else, please let me know. I wrote a letter to the Ford Corporate Office, but they just said to bring it to a Ford Service Center & pay them by the hour (@ $100.00/hr) until they figure it out. I can't afford to do that again. I won't be buying any more Fords, that's for sure.
  • thesignguythesignguy Member Posts: 1
    We've been having the same problem with ur 2002 Windstar but haven't found the solution. It's intermittent. A couple of years ago dealer said it was third party add-on (though we bought the alarm with the car from the dealer) and we'd have to go chase someone else down. Wasn't happening often then so we let it go. Problem becoming more persistent now. Anyone else?
  • deshay1971deshay1971 Member Posts: 2
    I tracked the beeping down to the computer box or brain of the car that is under your dash right by the firewall on my crown victoria. To collaborate with others out here, i have many dash lights that are blown out and i also have air bag issues so the correlations are becoming evident. As far as ford not know what it is i don't buy it for a minute. They play that game as standard practice to rape people out of money in my humble opinion. Thats why they get hardly any business because people are not dumb. Take care
  • deshay1971deshay1971 Member Posts: 2
    As soon as i figure out the exact solution and the actual labor time, i'll post it on here for everyone unless someone beats me to it, but rest assured, i will figure it out.
    Thank you very much for your answer - I bought a Jeep so now my husband is stuck with the beeping; it doesn't bother him. I would still appreciate any further comments, though; I do still have to travel in that vehicle sometimes. I agree with you about Ford playing a game, that's why I didn't buy another one. Thanks again!
  • yroseyrose Member Posts: 1
    Where do I find the computer on a 2001 windstar.
  • 2002windstar2002windstar Member Posts: 1
    I ahve the same problem in my 2002 LX Windstar PLUS check engine light. Can't get it through emissions and the check engine light comes back on each time. Any advice? IS a ford dealer a better choice than national chain "tire and muffler" shop? Thank you
  • capt_markcapt_mark Member Posts: 3
    I actually put mine off for a long time, but all you have to do is remove the plastic pice under the windshield and it is very easy to gain access.
    My airbag light just started going on. It flashes 5 times through a couple of cycles and then stays lit. I tried the connections under the passenger seat. Really don't want to pay Ford hundreds when it is probably nothing. Can anyone offer advice?
    If you take the wiper arms off and the trim piece under them, it is very easy to get to the rear plugs.
  • 1998lincoln1998lincoln Member Posts: 108
    The only thing I can think of to check is a bad Brake sensor behind the the brake hub !
    The output speed sensor has a cable hooked to it and the cable runs up to your speedo , and tells you how fast you are going.

The Turbine speed sensor tells the computer, the RPM's of the transmission !
    The ABS does not effect normal braking, Antilock Braking System only prevents front wheel lockup when braking in snow or ice !
    Mass Air Flow sensor or the o2 sensor will cause rough idle !
    Sometimes you can clean the throttle body at the intake and clean the MAS sensor
    with electrical cleaner ! Make sure it drys before you start the motor !
  • myzbabiesmyzbabies Member Posts: 1
    I been having problems with my van not wanting me to push it to 60 mph with out the van from puckering or missing and my engine light flashes on and off but mostly stays on what can I do to fix it.
  • mizzharleymizzharley Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    2001 windstar from canada o/d flashing then all of a sudden wouldnt go into 3rd gear it went 1 and 2 but no 3 it takes it a minute or more at times. I changed the neutral safety sensor and it still does it can anyone please help !!! thank you
    email mizzharley@hotmail.com
  • jonnypaganjonnypagan Member Posts: 3
    I had the same problem with my 2001. I changed the fuel filter. It is located on the drivers side along the frame. It was only about 20 bucks. But you should also check your fuel pressure. Sounds like it could also be a fuel pump talking to you telling you it's going to go.
  • jonnypaganjonnypagan Member Posts: 3
    Anyone know the Airbag code 16? It drives me nuts. it only does it once in a while and usually about 5 minutes after I start driving.
  • fystywindstarfystywindstar Member Posts: 24
    I have the same problem & I have posted somewhere else on this but I have now found out some info( @ least for the Beast)that may answer partly. The red light is not just the Parking(Emaergency) brakes. It is also for you service brakes It is used as a warning for both. In My case this light is on constant but There is nought wrong with any part of my braking system and the same for the ABS light. I had a situation whereas I had to use a panic stop last winter & my ABS worked evry bit as well as it is supossed to & I was able to steer away og the jerk that tried to jump up in front of me. With out of ABS, I may have hit hime broadside. Although( being on a pension) I haven't explored it further, my mechanic thell me it is probably just fauly sesors so to heck with it. When I get aound to fixing her, I will also bring up the ground issue mentioned here. Although I have a bounch of Gremlins, I love this beautiful SEL. Oh it`s a 02. Angela ;);)
  • carl96carl96 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Winstar engine light came on also and stayed on but ran fine. I replaced the upper and lower intake gaskets and you must replace new Ford bolts. Have not had any more trouble.
    That happens to my 02 as well but I now just ignore it as the code comes up as " lean:- L bank"& I just had my Van air cared & it is putting out less emmissions than our 02 Camry. if it comes on I just get the code checked & then I ignore it till the next time.
  • mary779mary779 Member Posts: 1
    The "check engine" light and the ABS/Brake lights are on in my 2002 Ford Windstar. I stopped at Advance Auto near my work and was given the following codes:
    P401 "exhaust gas recirculation flow insufficient detected"
    C1246 ABS outlet valve coil RR circuit failure
    C1185 ABS power relay output circuit failure
    C1198 ABS inlet valve coil LF circuit failure
    C1254 ABS inlet valve coil RR circuit failure
    C1250 ABS inlet valve coil LR circuit failure
    C1210 ABS outlet valve coil RF circuit failure
    C1242 ABS outlet valve coil LR circuit failure
    C1214 ABS inlet valve coil RF circuit failure
    C1194 ABS outlet valve coil LF circuit failure

Does anyone know what will fix these codes/problems?
    Mary I am sorry to hear this & I guess I am lucky there as my code reads only come back with one code & that is Lean L. Bank. This is an indicator of O2 sensor but even with this code showing, the old gal still pasted Air Care this year & with flying colors. I comared the values of my 02 SEL against the AC readings of our 02 Canry (4cyl) & other than fuel mileage :cry: the Ford beat the Toyota in every category.
    Now as for the 2 brake system warning lights are concerned. Mine have been on in the 2 years I have owned this big beautiful old gal. But I have found out that it is just sensors that are faulty & not the system. This should help easy some of the angsiety. I have found out Via an emergency situation that my ABS & Braking systems are working in top order. I just don't worry about them anymore as it is too costly to search & replace the sensors. The ABS system is designed that if it fails, your brakes revert back to normal brakes. That is Normals for all us oldsters out there. Hope all this helps you. Cheers Angela :D
  • tracy70tracy70 Member Posts: 1
    hi guys, sorry im totally not a car person, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips for getting rid of the flashing OD light on my Windstar?? Oh and the ABS light comes on a lot too... any tip at all would be gratefully appreciated, thanx for reading.
  • abrownboy64abrownboy64 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same annoying problem and I can't remember where I got the info but the beeps are to let you know that your ABS SYSTEM needs its annual service, in other words, they want your money to just reset it.
  • D_BeaversD_Beavers Member Posts: 1
    I see some reoccurring issues posted. First, the ABS/Red Brake Light issue; Have the codes read at Advance Auto or Autozone. Most scanners will read OBD and ABS data, even if the employee is unaware of this. Be sure the actual vehicle info is entered in the scanner and do not run it as "Global OBD", as that will only read OBD data. Low fluid or a faulty wheel speed sensor are most common. Unfortunately on the Windstars, there is also a common issue with the ABS power relay that will come up as code 1185. The relay is built into the module, so the standard resolution is replacing the ABS module ($1000+). If you are good with electronics, it is possible to repair the ABS module by opening the unit and resoldering a new relay, but I caution anyone as the ABS system is a safety system, but it is very possible.
    Second, the annoying 5 beeps that repeat randomly and sometimes often; This is the way that the vehicle warns you that your Air Bag Light is burnt out. It's just a bulb, but time consuming to replace as it is behind the gauge cluster. YouTube should have many video walkthroughs.
    Next, the P017x (System Lean) and P030x (Cylinder Misfire) codes;
    Although it may just be a vacuum line broken/disconnected (easy and cheap repair, usually accompanied by the heat/AC only blowing out of the defrost vents), it is a known and common issue with the Windstars. This is due to multiple defects... The intake runners often leak unmetered air into the intake, the upper intake manifold seals leak, and the EGR PORTS (not the valve itself, the ports in the intake manifold) get clogged. These all CAN cause either "System Lean" code, any of the cylinders to misfire (the P0301-P0306 codes), or driveability symptoms like lack of power, bucking, surging, running rough, etc. Usually a combination of these. The upper intake seals need to be replaced regardless, so while it is off, clean the EGR ports in the lower intake and inspect the intake runners, also in the lower intake manifold. REPLACE ANY SEAL OR GASKET THAT ARE REMOVED.
    It is also possible the head gasket is leaking and causing these symptoms, but that is less common, though not uncommon. Check the coolant reservoir for gunk (from oil and water mixing) as that is usually a good indicator, and/or get a compression check on all cylinders.
    Those are the most common problems with the 3.8l Windstar.