Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    that caught my eye, since we are considering that model. how about some more details?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • jhouse1jhouse1 Member Posts: 7
    I'm just wondering if I'm the only person that has had the worst time with the tribute. Every two weeks there seems to be something going wrong. I've had to replace the headlights, trailer hitch, Engine, Coolant reservoir, gas shocks on rear hatch(bloody thing fell on me), rear hatch window leaks, windshield leaks, the oils is dirty after only 2500km(the last time that happened I had to replace the engine. This vehicle is the worst I've ever seen and mazda will not replace it or give me my money back. I think I should take them to court. Does anybody have any suggestions? Am I the only one out there with this sort of problem?
  • rboccellarboccella Member Posts: 5
    My 2001 ES Trib was getting about 18-20 mpg for the first 30k miles. Not great, but steady. I recently changed the awful Firestones with a new set of Continentals (really reduced the road noise, btw). Mpg has dropped like a rock to about 15-16 and I can't figure it out. Air pressure is around 30-32. Anyone with a similar experience, or should I be looking for other probs... Just had it in for its 30k checkup w. no probs. Thanks
  • kcallon1kcallon1 Member Posts: 4
    I have 2003 Ford Escape XLT. I took delivery 9-13-03. I have 6,100 miles on the truck. Within the last 4 weeks, the following has happened about 9 times: the engine dies and the "Check Engine Oil","Battery", and "Engine" lights came on and the truck died. I put on my flashers, but when I turned the key, the truck started right up and I drove on to work. I took it to the dealership, and they could not find anything wrong with it. Has anyone with this problem had it fixed? Any idea what the cause was? Any advice is appreciated - Thanks!
  • monib718monib718 Member Posts: 1
    Kcallon1, you are not the only one with this issue. I have a 2002 Ford Escape XLT and it had 10,600 miles on it. For about 6 months now, it keeps cutting off for apparently no reason and then starts right back up like nothing happened when you turn the key. I also get the same 3 lights on the dash as you. I have taken it to Ford several times and they tell me they recaliberated it and it's no big deal ... but it is a big deal because it continues to happen and it may cause a dangerous scenario on day. I have seen on other forums that other people have this problem so obviously ford has an issue it needs to fix, but my dealership claims they never heard of such a problem. I will once again be heading down to Ford to "fix" my escape and sadly I'm a regular there with this FORD=Fix Or Repair Daily vehicle. If anyone has had this problem and has any clue what is causing the shut off please fill us in.
    Have you looked into your state's Lemon Law?
  • retiredguy1retiredguy1 Member Posts: 6
    Accelerator pedal sticking on 2003 xlt, fiqured throttle valve sticking on gunk in throttle body, since under warrenty took it to dealer. Said this is a normal maintenance item but that they were replacing throttle body since uder warrenty. they ordered part, went back today, and after they finished work told me they cleaned old throttle body and held off on new part because they were ordering a new type of throttle body. Said new type of throttle body would take at least 2 week to arrive. Anyone else heard of new type of throttle body? Apparently ford thinks this is a problem.
  • carguydccarguydc Member Posts: 46
    Someone asked about a 2004 Escape Limited and any issues (I think it was transmission). I've got 8,000 miles on my 2004 Escape Limited - no issues with transmission or otherwise. It's been a great vehicle.
  • brian211brian211 Member Posts: 69
    Ben considering an suv. With gas in nyc now over $2 a gallon, I'm thinking of sizing down from a full size explorer, durango,etc, to an escape, tribute. My question is to current owners, are these vehicles worth the extra gas savings over the larger suvs?
  • rotarykidrotarykid Member Posts: 191
    that's what it's all about
  • maztribmaztrib Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Mazda Tribute ES V6, 31k and it died, all the lights came on, and it locked up on me on the freeway yesterday going 60 mph! I see here that others have had this problem with this car and the Escape and was wondering if anyone has had any luck figuring out what is going on? I took it right over to my mechanic who hooked my car up to a computer which said "No Failure." i've seen that there have been many recalls on this car but i don't know what it is. HELP!!!!!!
    I used to have an Explorer and moved to an Escape. I've been real happy with the Escape - it's really all the SUV I need. In addition, it's more fun to drive than the Explorer.

I used to tow a 21" boat with the Explorer - but I sold that a couple years ago, so no need for a vehicle as large as Explorer.

We have one small child and everything fits fine in the Escape.

Just my experience.
    fun to drive is a mustang gt; not an explorer or escape. :)
    It's all relative - I've had both an Explorer, a Mustang, and now an Escape.

200HP in that small a package is fun to drive - 4 wheel independent suspension and a car-based SUV contribute to this.

Mine is a FWD vehicle and I can spin the tires from a dead stop on a dry, smooth surface. While not great for tires, it is sometimes fun!

Lastly, I can take turns at a far higher speed than my old Explorer - again, not a Mustang, but a lot of fun on some exit ramps, etc.
  • maztribmaztrib Member Posts: 2
    My mechanic is a member of Alldata online and pays a monthly fee for it. It's a website you pay $200 a month to have access too, so that you can simply go on, punch in the problem, and it tells you how to fix it. SO, for all of you who have had this problem with your Escape or Tribute stalling in the middle of rush hour......and have taken your car to the dealership without it being fixed or them not knowing what is wrong...i have the paperwork here describing the computer glich in our car and how to fix it. If you've been in this situation like i just was, you know how dangerous this is, and hopefully this will save lives! Please e-mail me at cgovea@msn.com and i can either fax this to you or e-mail it to you so we can take this to the dealerships to correct this before someone gets killed!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Is there a reason why you can't tell us here what the fix is?

tidester, host
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    My local library subscribes to Alldata, so it's not like it's a secret resource available only to mechanics. Mere mortals like me can get our hands on the tsb info easily enough.

Steve, Host
  • wijocowijoco Member Posts: 462
    Maybe it's too large of a file to display here. Some TSBs can run four or five pages with pictures included. Alldata subscriptions are only $25 per year per vehicle, the $200/month fee is for unlimited access to all vehicle information for professionals. The information can be downloaded, too, so you don't have to pay $25/year to see the same stuff.
    Assuming it's Service Bulletin Number 0101402R (NHTSA Item Number 635764), it should be easy enough to summarize for everyone. That's the improperly functioning Evaporative Vapor Management Valve one I think.

Steve, Host
    driving in dc is not fun. i'd rather take the metro. maybe i'll get a chance to drive one of those escapes soon(if my wife buys one).
    Explorerx4

Agree with you there!!! Luckily I'm able to stay off the Beltway for my regular commute!
  • tribstertribster Member Posts: 20
    Help!! anyone...

I have 03 Tribute LX 4x4 with 10K miles. Last couple of months I have noticed this whining noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. This only happens around 50-55 MPH. Took it to the dealer... they claimed it was the tires... not true. They rotated the tires to the front wheels but the noise is still there. Has anyone else had a similar problem? I think it is coming from the rear differential but I cannot prove it. They said to drive it till it gets worse and more noticeable. RIGHT!!! Easy for them to say, they don't have to drive it everyday. Could it be the bearings in the rear wheels? Oh by the way I have noticed that there is a leak in the exhaust(with only 10K miles) and when I park the car the water deposits drip from the exhaust box right before the tail pipe. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (Saw the 05 model looks the same to me. The shifter is on the floor and the fog lights look a bit different. That's it.
  • jhouse1jhouse1 Member Posts: 7
    Your guess is as good as mine when it comes to the whining in the rear but, the leak in your exhaust is actually supposed to be there. It helps get rid of the moisture in the piping so it doesn't rust as fast. Good luck with your problem, I have a few of my own that I'm taking mazda to court over.
    two problems I have seen with tributes that are similar to yours. Four wheel drive models have had bad diffs in rear, replaced two under warranty and they usually act up under 10k. The other was a bad drive shaft that caused noise and vibration.(front to rear shaft).
    I took my Escape in for the 2nd time, after it had died twice while driving up-hill. The computer always came back that everything was fin-no problems. They ended up calling "Ford" and they ended up recallibrating it. Everything is fine, runs like brand new.
  • johnb1johnb1 Member Posts: 3
    Hello Dino,
    I searched for "idle" in all posted messages and found that you had a problem similar to the one I presently have, that is, "I encountered several incidents where I would come to a stop and the engine would lose power, with the idle loping to 250rpms. The vehicle would shudder and almost stall."

I have a 2002 Tribute with the V6 engine and have had an intermittent problem with the idle oscillating around 500-700 rpm when I stop at a light. The whole SUV shakes and the engine feels like it is going to stall, but hasn't so far. I've had it into the dealer for 4 visits. Each visit corrects the problem for awhile, then it reoccurs. The dealer has replaced an EGR sensor (3 times), reprogrammed the computer (2 times) and cleaned the whole intake system with spray to remove any deposits.

I was wondering what was done by the dealer you went to to correct your problem (if it indeed was successfully corrected).

Regards,
    Johnb1
  • johnb1johnb1 Member Posts: 3
    Hello group...
    I have a 2002 Tribute with the V6 engine, automatic and approx. 43,000 miles. The Tribute ran very well until about 40,500 miles. Since then, there has been an intermittent problem with the engine idle oscillating around 500-700 rpm when I stop at a light (engine is thoroughly warmed up). The Tribute's body shakes and the engine feels like it is going to stall, but hasn't so far.

I've had it back to the dealer for 4 visits so far. Each visit corrects the problem for awhile, then it reoccurs. The dealer has replaced the EGR sensor (3 times), reprogrammed the computer (2 times), replaced the solenoid valve and cleaned the whole intake system with spray to remove any deposits.

The problem started again today. This time the check engine light is on (it has come on only once before I took it to the dealer for repair), but this time is a little different because now the engine is getting hard to start.

Has anyone had similar problems? Were they corrected by your dealer (and how was it done)?

Regards,
    johnb1
  • djp2104djp2104 Member Posts: 11
    Have searched the discussion board and might have missed something, but .... My wife's 03 EX-V6, 4WD, has approx. 15K miles on it. In the past 1000 miles, the brakes started squeaking, but only at very low speed deceleration. Dealer says everything looks fine. Wife says it's like fingernails on a chalkboard (I agree) and if it can't be fixed, the car is mine and she takes my Lexus. Aside from the expected comments about my being a wimp, anyone have any ideas?
  • zeenzeen Member Posts: 401
    If the brakes check out fine, there is an anti-squeal spray you can get at an auto parts store that you spray on the rotors periodically. I have never used it so I can't endorse it.
    It might be a good idea to verify that the trib doesnt actually need brakes. Take it in for an oil change and rotation (usually done around 15k) Any competent tech will check your brakes while the wheels are off anyway. If the squealing is very noticeable when you bring it in, and it's verified by a service writer or manager, they have the ability to machine a new surface on front or rear rotors under warranty. I have done it myself a few times (usually rear drums are the culprit).
  • djp2104djp2104 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks all for the advice. Had the 15K check done but they said they couldn't duplicate the problem. Told me to try to identify whether it's front or back. I'll do that today and bring it back. Again, appreciate the help.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=businessNews&st- oryID=4815493

This one's actually good news! It's to fix the stalling problem that many of us have experienced.

I don't know if Mazda will be releasing one too but I don't see why not.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    I agree, good news. However, why is it when GM/Ford or Dodge have recalls I read about them all over the net, in papers ect, hear about them in the worldnews.. But when Toyota or Honda have one, noone knows about them? I don't read about them in the newspaper, nor do I hear much about them on the internet, nor do they make the evening news?
    Its obvious Ford found the problem. I have just over 40K on my Escape with never a stall. I'll call the dealership and see what they recommend.
  • trm1trm1 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for advice regarding my 2001 Ford Escape. On Oct 15, 2001 (a few months after purchasing), I was driving down a HUGE hill in Austin, TX, when my Escape suddenly died without warning. I was unable to stop, slow down, or steer! Luckily, I was able to coast to a stop in a parking lot at the bottom of the hill. I had it towed to the dealership and after 2 days, they returned it - they "couldn't find any problems". I had never experienced a loss of power like this in 16 yrs of driving. It really caught me off guard, and I'm not all that strong, so it was very difficult to try to pull the steering wheel to the right or left .... (and very frightening!) I couldn't get answers or reassurance that it was safe (I even called the CEO/President of Maxwell Ford in Austin, where I bought it to express my concern/ fears - no help there!) I finally took the car home and hoped it was just a one-time fluke.

For the past 2.5 years, it has worked fine. Not a single problem..... until last Friday (4/9/04)and then it happened again! I was going about 40mph around a curve in a subdivision and suddenly, it felt like I couldn't steer, stop, or slow down! It happened without any warning at all. Once again, I was very (very) lucky to be on a road where I could coast to a stop and avoid a really bad situation. Since I was a few blocks from home, I started it back up (after I stopped shaking!) and drove 2mph to my driveway and parked it - I have an appt to take it in to a different dealership this Friday.

My problem is this...... I am not that experienced with cars, car talk, car problems, etc.... I've just always followed my maintenance guidelines, driven safe and defensive, and the few times I've had a flat or a small problem, I've selected the dealership with the highest-quality ratings and hoped that they won't take advantage of me when I got the bill. Now, I've had this bigger problem that seems potentially very dangerous for some drivers (who aren't as prepared to deal with sudden loss of control over their car). I am uncomfortable driving this car -- no matter what happens from here! I feel like I'm tempting fate now, and I honestly don't know if I could keep my cool if this suddenly happened on a highway while moving at 70mph in heavy city traffic! Any suggestions on best way to proceed from here? Any advice is appreciated.
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    Read the above posts, especially post #2440, about the new recall on the Ford Escape that addresses the issue of it stalling. This seems to be a common problem with the Escape.
    Here you go Scape - fresh today :-)

American Honda to Recall Certain Light Truck Vehicles to Repair Automatic Transmissions (PR Newswire)

Steve, Host
  • mhaynie1mhaynie1 Member Posts: 15
    I am the lucky owner of a 2001 Tribute (V6). My Tribute was recently recalled because of a problem with the seatbelt latch. Now a recall for the engine stall. Add that to the presently illuminating check engine light and I am in great shape. At least Mazda is finally doing something about the stall issue.

By the way, other past problems include: replacing both headlights because of condensation build-up; replacing a bad sensor in the engine coolant reservoir; leaking rear window; a transmission that shudders; and the whole brake rotors fiasco.

Owning a Tribute really is a love-hate relationship.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    I was the unfortunate victim/owner of a 1994 "Mazda B2300SE" (aka Ford Ranger) pickup. I continue to be a Mazda owner -- but of Mazdas stamped "Made in Japan."

There IS a difference, folks.

Meade
    2000 Protege ES
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Thanks for the info.. I wonder why I haven't read this in the paper about this recall of Hondas, heard it on the evening news? This is a lot of vehicles.. If it were Ford/GM or Dodge it would be plastered all over the news...
  • escapenutescapenut Member Posts: 117
    I just read the posted messages above about the
    '01-'03 V6 Escape-Tribute recall. I called my
    dealership of purchase and they essentially told me to bring it in (w/appointment) and they'll re-scan the TCM/PCM. I've got an '01 Escape XLT 2WD
    V6 which I've had for almost three (3) years. Other than my gripe about the front brake/rotor
    change at 29K (~$480.00), and an IAC problem,
    the car has been very reliable with ~50K miles.
    I am very satisfied so far with the dependability. The interior and exterior trim is holding together nicely and the car seems almost
    as tight as the day I bought it with few exceptions.
    I just changed my spark plugs (Ford OEM Platinum,
    100K plugs) with the help of a mechanic friend.
    Not that they necessarily needed it, but I've just been used to changed plugs every 30K miles
    before. After inspecting the plugs they were
    wearing well, other than what my friend called,
    'leakage' around the ceramic tower. This would
    indicate that some blowby was getting past the
    plugs. I'll probably change them again in another 50K miles. The original plugs were obviously degraded to a point where it may've cost me in mileage, drivability, etc. ~75% of my
    driven miles are city, but I sure like taking the Escape on Texas farm roads to let the engine breathe a little.
    I will probably be changing my front brakes again
    soon and upgrading to a rotor that can be turned
    and a ceramic pad which will not shed as much dust as the Ford OEM pads. Believe or not the rotors and pads (Raybestos) are cheaper, price-wise, than OEM. Should be able to re-do the front brakes for ~$200.00 for parts, a far cry from the $300.00+ the dealership charged for the OEM parts this last time.
    Good luck to everyone with their PCM upgrades.
    Hope it solves the problem(s) once and for all.
  • jazzinsuejazzinsue Member Posts: 1
    I am having problems with the brakes on this vehicle. With only 5,000 miles on it, the dealership had to change out the master cylinder, it was leaking. Then at 15,000 miles I had to have the front right rotor replaced and the brake pads because they were causing vibration upon braking and they kept trying to tell me it was the tires!!! Now, at 30,000 miles I had to have the brake pads and both rotors replaced again, they could not even grind the rotors down to give some more wear time, there was no metal left to grind! I went to Ford dealership and all they said was that this is a known problem with the Escapes and that I would have to live with it - I don't think so! Now, my emergency brake makes a funny grinding sound when I apply it in a parked position. Has anyone else experienced this similar type of problem?
  • bjd2bjd2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,
     My step-daughter just bought a brand new 04 Escape XLS V-6, 4x4 last week. She has 725 miles on it and it is in the dealer for a complete transmission change-out!
     She was driving home yesterday and the Overdrive light began to flash and the engine RPM started fluctuacting significantly up into the 4,500-5,000 RPM range...
      The dealer has ordered a new tranny for it to be installed tomorrow. I am concerned for her, but I also just bought a new 04 Escape XLT, V-6,4x4 before Christmas w/ only 1500 miles on it. Is mine next to have problems? Any other similar 04 Escape V-6, 4x4 tranny problems ??
      This vehicle was clearly not "Quality...Job One".
  • jrc346jrc346 Member Posts: 337
    750 miles tells me it is a defect from the factory.
  • bri66bri66 Member Posts: 220
    It's been a long time since i've been on Edmunds. Even a new way to log on. I just made my appointment today for my Escape. I'm sorry, but I just can't resist. A year ago this was a way over blown problem by only a few. I don't think so anymore.
  • ron_69ron_69 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, like all Tribute owners, I also have a list of problems occuring on my 2001 Tribute.

1- Tires get extremely low traction in wet conditions, and are worn out within 50,000kms or about 30,000 miles. Replaced the oems with toyos. (strongly recommanded)

2- Engine lights comes off almost once every month. I had a couple of incidents where the dealer plugged in the computer to check, but no faults was found. One time where this sensor was blown. One time for low coolant.

3- Sometimes the battery lights come off for the first 1-2 minutes after starting up. But I have noticed that it mostly occurs during cold weather, so I guess that may be the contributing factor.

3- There are noise when I turn all the way and with considerable speed. For example: when making U turns.

4- Brakes lock up easily during panic braking on the hwy which causes the vechicle to loose control at that moment. For people planning to make a purchase, I advise you to get ABS. I thought it was standard when I bought it, how naive.

5- High fuel consumption. 1 tank full of gas = 330 kms.

6- Knocking sounds are noticable after riding on the speed bumps. When I mean by this is that after the vechicle goes over the bump and down, you may notice a sort of knocking sound. It sounds like the shocks are on a loose mount or some sort. But that could be mainly because of the age of my vechicle. I have been driving this thing almost the day it came out.

7- The brake pads and rotors do wear out fast on this car. They cost around $600 CDN to replace both front pads and front rotors from the dealer.

8- The handbrake cable on the Tribute can get loose easily, especially if you have rear drum brakes like I do. I actually have to goto the dealer 4 times to fix the handbrake alone. I also found that not too many mechanics have the proper knowledge to repair them. There was this repair that made it worst, causing me to go back.
    1. 30,000 miles out of OEM tires isn't great, but it's not unusual. I got ~36,000 on the ones on my minivan (now riding on Toyos too <g>).

3. I always heard it was best not to cut the wheel all the way over for any longer than necessary.
    " Turning the steering wheel to the full right or left will increase system pressure and belt squeal." (Integrated Publishing)

4, 5 & 7. If you are making panic stops that often, you must be a spirited driver, which would explain the lousy mileage and short pad life on your brakes. Lighten up and enjoy the ride!

Steve, Host
  • turksteritisturksteritis Member Posts: 95
    My 01 tribute needed new tires at 42,000 kilometers....they were done! I have 56,000 kilos on my 03 Tribute & they are not even 1/2 done yet. They still had about 9/32 of tread life left in em!
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    The OEM tires that came on my Mazda Protege, a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE92s, were bald by 20,000 miles and hydroplaning like crazy. I replaced them with a set of Dunlop SP Sport A2s with a 60,000-mile rating that lasted only 25,000 miles, despite rotations and balancing every 5,000 miles and an alignment check that returned in-spec measurements.

Finally wound up with a set of BFGoodrich Touring T/A VR4s that look like they're going to go upwards of 40,000 miles.

My friends, these days, 30K miles on a set of tires ain't bad -- in fact it's probably about average.

Meade
  • norrmanndonorrmanndo Member Posts: 81
    I have a 2002 Tribute with about $25K miles. the tires don't show any wear to speak of and I haven't had any problems with anything. It's been a great vehicle. I've only been on one serious off-roading drive and had to place in 1st gear and lock 4 wheel drive on, but the road was very steep. Traction and braking have always been excellent, but I do have ABS. ron_69, If you don't have ABS, standard procedure is to pump your brakes. I still find myself pumping my brakes even though I have had ABS on my last two vehicles. But I used to drive in a lot of snow, so you get used to pumping your brakes and it's hard to "brake" the habit.