Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta Audio/Entertainment Questions

Comments

• bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    Are you CERTAIN you have the correct code?

Try using Seek/Scan instead... if that does not work... try this link
  • georgiageorgiageorgiageorgia Member Posts: 1
    Hey,

I just got a used 2003 Jetta and my stereo is on lock down. Nothing is coming out of the speakers but I can adjust the volume. I can't change the station or use any of my presets. The console doesn't have SAFE on it either, it just has the last station is had the radio on and 'AS 1' below that.
    I left the key in the car for an hour with the radio on (which is the dumbest thing ever) like the manual said, but nothing happened.
    Whats going on?
  • hornsbyhornsby Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a new Jetta. Is it impossible to tune the radio to LW - I want to listen to the cricket on Radio 4?

Also I want to tune to a French radio station but the manual operation of the tuning seems to skip individual frequencies and select recognised British stations. Can anyone help?
  • trodriguestrodrigues Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 2002 Jetta with a Monsoon deck. I 'think' the system is in safe mode because I can see the little red security light blink, however the LCD does not display anything when I attempt to turn the unit on. I do have my manual and the security code but I have been completely unsuccessful in my attempts to enter it since I can't seem to get the darn thing turned on. Any suggestions other than taking it back to the dealer?
  • geckogirlygeckogirly Member Posts: 2
    Hello -

My 2005 Jetta 2.5 has a cd player with mp3 playback capability. For some reason the only thing that shows up on the display is "Track 01" or "Track 02" rather than the Song Title or artist. The folder names do not work either.

Does anybody else have this problem and/or know how to fix it? My mp3s have ID3 tags - maybe I'm just burning them wrong? What can I do (if anything) to get the song title to display? It's not that important but it is really driving me crazy that I can't figure it out. :confuse:
  • vw_dcvw_dc Member Posts: 1
    I have been getting the "NO SAT RADIO" message in my 06 Jetta from day 1. Periodically when I turn on the car, the message is displayed and the Sirius radio will not turn on. This happens intermittently and is extremely annoying. The problem is intermittent and seems to happen after driving for a few minutes and then stopping/starting the car.

The last VW technician I talked to said that this is a problem with all the radio components identifying themselves on some electronic "bus" at startup and that VW has identified the problem but does not have a solution yet.

HOWEVER... whenever I attempt to get it fixed VW says they "have never heard of this problem" and offer no solution. VW has kept my car for days trying to reproduce the problem - but because of it's intermittent nature they are "unable" to reproduce the problem.

One dealership was actually able to reproduce the problem - they called me and said "We've reproduced the problem, no you're not crazy, we're on it." But when I picked up my car the next day, they pulled a 180 and said "we weren't able to reproduce the problem." I have talked to two dealerships and corp customer service and nobody will admit to this problem existing.

The end result was that I left my car with a dealership for "investigation" only to pick it up days later with the same status - "everything tested out ok on our end." The common solution I hear is to "bring it on by when you have the problem" - as if I have time to head over to the dealership everytime this problem occurs.

I know numerous other people must be having this problem. Has anyone else been able to fix it or get VW to fix it? Are they simply lying to us so they do not have to eat the replacement costs? Are they just disorganized? Do they not care about our problems? Has anyone had any luck replacing the radio on theur own? Aftermarket?
  • redhotbeadsredhotbeads Member Posts: 3
    Well, I just got my 07 Jetta ten days ago. Transferred my current Sirius subscription to the new Jetta. It worked fine - up until today. Now it will show me the channels I have programmed in, but all I hear is a high-pitched whine. No audio. The CD player and FM tuner work fine - Sirius is out of commission, though. I guess I'm going to have to take it to the dealership to be fixed but now I'm wary ==- especially if it's a problem they have no solution to. Does anyone have any suggestions? :mad:
    Thanks,
    Kelly
    I took it to the dealership - when they hooked up their test box, Sirius worked fine. So they had to order me a new satellite receiver. No charge, it's covered under warranty (I've had this car TWO WEEKS so I should think so!) but it's the whole hassle factor of having to take it in, wait on the part, etc. Ah well, at least I got an answer.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Has anyone got the wolfsburg edition Jetta? I am wondering how the stereo system sounds compared to the premium system in the jetta. Really, that is what is keeping me from getting a Wolfsburg. It has a very basic audio system. The other models have the premium, with amp. Let me know. Thanks. Other than this issue, I think its a great deal for all it offers on that model.
  • snarduccisnarducci Member Posts: 2
    My radio was working fine until yesterday, i started my car and the radio won't turn on at all. I heard the fuse box is behind the radio (impossible to replace without taking to the dealership because they have to take off the dashboard to reach it - if that is even the problem. Does anyone know? The security light is flashing, but the radio won't turn on at all.

Thanks!
  • keepsimplekeepsimple Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I drive a 2006 Jetta 2.5 with in-car GPS. I have a question about the "Aux" option on the LCD screen (when select the "CD" button first.)

How can I use this "Aux" to play my music? Where can I connect my MP3 player to this "Aux"?

I am asking because the 6-CD exchanger in the car cannot play MP3 music.

Thanks.
  • williedog01williedog01 Member Posts: 1
    i own a 2000 jetta and i was recently thinking about putting a cd player in dash. i've been looking online and found a couple on ebaymotors and was wondering if the 2004 monsoon player would fit in my 2000 jetta? please help me.. i am so new to cars and don't know anything
  • skippytcgskippytcg Member Posts: 10
    It all depends if it is the stock single disc player or the upgraded 6 disc in dash changer. the single disc does not support cd labeling, where the 6 disc does.
  • jaytopjaytop Member Posts: 1
    Did you end up taking it to the dealership. I have the same problem? If so, what was it and how much did it cost?

Jay
  • snarduccisnarducci Member Posts: 2
    No, it turned out to be the battery. It was almost dead. I found out because my car would not start the next week and I found out the battery needed to be replaced. Glad I idid not take it in! You might have your car battery checked at Auto Zone, they check it for free.

If not, it could be the fuse that is behind the radio, which i think they have to pull out the dashboard to get to it. Good Luck!
  • vwjettavwjetta Member Posts: 3
    OK, I took my 2003 Jetta to get detailed and the car battery died. They jumped it 3 times to move it to various places on the lot to detail it. Afterwards I brought the car right over to a mechanic to replace the battery. On the drive over I noticed the radio was stuck on 100.3 and no sound was coming out. AFter the battery was replaced the radio was now stuck on 88.3. I read the manual, and it talks about the anti-theft feature, but it only states how to fix the problem when the radio reads "SAFE". Any ideas... I drive around for my job and I need a RADIO!
  • pixiejennapixiejenna Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Jetta and my cd player works fine no problems butevery time I try to listen to the radio all I get static, sometimes it will kind of weaver in and out but for the majority of the FM stations I get some level of static. This problem started about 2 weeks ago, has anyone else had a problem like this? Do I need a new antenna?
  • yageryager Member Posts: 1
    The antennas on most volkes wagon models as of the last 10 years have had a history with breaking. The way there built they easily rip apart. I know this from experience with my antenna thats taped up with electrical tape right now. All your going to need to do is replace it or that doesnt work fool around with the wires in the back of your head unit.
  • nathan118nathan118 Member Posts: 31
    Just bought a new '07 Jetta 2.5 Wolfsburg edition. Only thing I don't like is that the aux input is in the glovebox (what moron decided on that?) My question is, does anyone know of a good solution to move that input, or to run a cable from there, and somewhere into the center console?

The radio itself isn't too impressive. FM Radio is a little weak, and the volume knob is way too sensitive. There is super quiet, kind of quiet, and then it jumps to super loud. Worst case scenario I try and replace it with a new headunit.
    THe AUX is in the glovebox because there is NO NEED TO TOUCH YOUR IPOD!! All the controls are via the radio.

It is far more secure to just leave Ipod in the glovebox at all times. It is less apt to be stolen.

As for volume have you READ THE OWNERS MANUAL about setting the automatic volume control based on vehicle speed? This setting has an effect on the phenomena you describe.
  • babalionosibabalionosi Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a 2006 2.0T. Everytime I switch off the radio/CD and switch it back on, it resets the volume to a predefined level (level 6 according to the trip computer display). This is annoying because I have to readjust the volume everytime I start the car or switch the radio on.

Is this normal behavior? Has anyone had the same issue with their sound system?
  • nathan118nathan118 Member Posts: 31
    I dont' have an IPOD, I have a Creative Zen Vision:M. That aux input in the glovebox is just a 3.5mm stereo jack, in other words an analog connection. You can't control an ipod using that jack. Yes, there is ipod specific stuff that VW sells and will install, but the aux input in the glovebox is not that.

Anyways, I've found a pretty good solution. There is a crack near the left hinge of the glovebox that is just big enough for a 3.5mm cable to fit through. After that I have it go under the center console that starts at the passenger's left foot. The console is a little "loose" at the base, and the cable fits up inside very nicely. Then I have it come up again near the cup holders.

I might look into feeding that cable into the compartment under the armrest, but it's a little hard to get at between the passenger seat and the center console.
    Yeah, I'd like to meet that rocket scientist myself - whether or not you have to touch the iPod is irrelevant. It's just not convenient to have it there.

I bought a six-foot stereo aux cord on eBay - it's not the most visually pleasing solution but it does work fine for me. Since I usually ride alone, it doesn't matter.

The sound system is kinda weak. I put an Infinity BassLink in and it gave it a nice big boost. Now I love it.
  • scutmonkeyscutmonkey Member Posts: 1
    I recently turned in my 2003 Jetta with a Premium Monsoon radio and Phatnoise MP3 player and got a new 2007 Wolfsburg edition Jetta. I also got the iPod connector added (not the 1/8" aux plug, but the connector created specifically for the iPod). After a month of using this, I had some thoughts and questions

1) Quality of the radio - I saw in earlier posts questions regarding the sound quality of the Wolfburg's radio compared to VW's premium sound system. I am disappointed with the quality of the sound in my new car - it has a less clarity and resolution than my previous car; and at higher speeds, the sound tends to get "lost" with ambient noise - although this may be a function of the car's interior design/speaker placement with more room in which the sound is lost. (BTW, why are there speaker bins in the front doors near the handles without speakers?) The Wolfsburg also lacks steering wheel controls - a function which I greatly miss now

2) iPod connection - at first this seemed like a nice feature - my iPod connected in, charges while in use, and is able to be controlled from the head unit. After playing for a while, I was surprised at the limitations of this setup -
    - the head unit does not display the names of the songs, but instead treats the iPod like a CD changer and displays as disc # and a track #
    - the head unit can only scroll through playlists on the iPod, and not through the entire library
    - the controls on the iPod itself are disabled when connected, so you cannot manually scroll on the iPod. If you have a larger capacity iPod and you're in the mood for a particular song, this becomes a limitation

3) Other options - truth be told, I miss my old setup using the Phatnoise system previously sold for VW's. This functioned at a "CD changer" using the pre-wired disc changer connection in the trunk of my previous Jetta. With it was a removable 20GB hard drive on which all the songs I could possibly want while driving. Although the names didn't display on the head unit, an amusing voice attempted to "read" me the names of each song/artist/album; this way I could scroll the entire collection to find what I wanted. In the 3 years I had it, it worked well. I still have the phatnoise system - does anyone know of a way to install it into my new 2007 Wolfsburg Jetta? Or should I group my disappointments with the audio system of the new car and transform it into motivation to get a completely new radio in the vehicle?
  • sdazzo213sdazzo213 Member Posts: 3
    A couple days ago I put a cd into player. listened to it no problems (the cd was pretty scratched up though). Today i tried to take it out, says its ejecting, sounds like its ejecting, but nothing happens... the cd is in the player but the head unit doesnt recognize it. Pressed eject again, the head unit recognized the cd and played it. Still can't get it out...any suggestions?

sidenote- what does the PZEV stand in some of the Wolfsburg edition descriptions?
    Did you try a simple websearch for PZEV?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partial_zero-emissions_vehicle
  • talismanphltalismanphl Member Posts: 3
    My 2003 GLS 1.8T has had the airbag warning light on the dash lit up on and off for years. The Monsoon stereo has been replaced 4 times - about every 10 months it commits suicide and fries itself. 2 weeks ago, my Jetta was rear-ended by a cab in downtown Philadelphia and the insurance company has totalled it. I wont know what to do with myself now that I have a nice reliable Honda Civic SI and will not constantly arguing with numerous moronic VW service depts. Never buy a Jetta with the Monsoon system - you're asking for uber problems.
  • dgjackson80dgjackson80 Member Posts: 3
    I have my Ipod plugged in and LCD display says AUX but nothing is coming out. Anybody have this problem? Is this a dealership problem? :cry:
  • safeashousessafeashouses Member Posts: 1
    How do you know your Honda is more reliable when you've only had it for 2 months?
  • pbrowndpbrownd Member Posts: 1
    My 06 Jetta TDI came with an XM module, but I prefer Sirius, didn't notice until I drove off the lot. Wanting to swap with someone, or buy a new/used Sirius module. Anyone out there with the opposite issue, or has advice.

Thanks

Pbrownd
  • johnm28johnm28 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a used 2003 Jetta for my daughter with only 12,000 miles on it. The Monsoon radio suddenly stopped working. The display shows FM 88.1 (the radio staion) but there is no sound and the radio is frozen, meaning none of the channel, AM, FM bass, treble etc buttons work. If you raise the sound, you see the bar increasing the sound, but again nothing comes out. If you put in a cd, the display shows the cd is playing, but the cd control buttons are completely ineffective. I disconnected the battery to try to put the radio in Safe mode and then reset it, but apparenly the disconnect power anti-theft only works if the radio is put into another car. Any suggestios would be greatly appreciated. The warrenty is expired and if there is no fix for this I'll just buy an after-market radio and have it installed. Thanks.
  • lj069lj069 Member Posts: 1
    Good day all !! Got a Monsoon amplifier from a 2000 Jetta but no wiring diagram. It came with the multi-pin connector plugs & wire but alass , which wires go where? Does anybody know? Or , where can a person get a wiring diagram... HELP !! Thanx for your time and efforts !? PEACE Larry

You can email me at lj069069@yahoo.com if it is easier ! THANX again
  • hawkk72hawkk72 Member Posts: 1
    Hey,
    Did you ever find out what was causing your problem? I have the exact same year Jetta with the exact same Monsoon radio and the EXACT same symptoms.
    John
  • kfawbertkfawbert Member Posts: 1
    Where do you buy this 1/8" plug thing?
    Yeah the wire was split open and had to replace it.
    I bought a kit from radio shack for mp3
  • epaul626cepaul626c Member Posts: 1
    I also have XM radio and I have the same problem. The dealer has no solutions, and so far I have found nothing online.

Some people indicate this is a problem with the xm signal, which is incorrect. If there is no signal, the radio says NO SIGNAL. NO SAT RADIO means the radio does not recognize that you have a satellite module installed (according to the dealer).

Hopefully someone will figure this out!
  • ibmstuffibmstuff Member Posts: 1
    Which "wire" are you referring to? I have the same freakin' problem!

Thanks,
    John C.
  • christopher9christopher9 Member Posts: 1
    Yes, I'm having the exact same problem. Help!
  • jea2jea2 Member Posts: 1
    We have the same exact problem as described with our Monsoon in a 2003 Jetta. Has anyone found a solution yet?
  • jbrunerjbruner Member Posts: 2
    My Monsoon stereo did the same thing yesterday. I have found numerous sites where people have had the same problems but no one has posted any of their solutions. Were you able to fix it? If so, how? Did you have to replace the head unit? If so, did you get another Monsoon or did you go after-market? If I have to replace the head unit, will I have to replace the amp too? Will the speakers need to be re-wired?

Please, someone, let me know what you did!
  • jbrunerjbruner Member Posts: 2
    What wire? I same year Jetta and I don't know what to do to fix the thing.
  • rdjettardjetta Member Posts: 1
    Will the 2004 Jetta radio play mp3 files from CD?
  • rbjohnstonrbjohnston Member Posts: 1
    So I have the auxiliary input jack in the glove box, and it's worked in the past. However now I can't seem to get in AUX mode. I hold down the CD button (that's what the manual said to do) and get nothing it just stays in CD mode.

Can any body help me out here? I need to hear my mp3s. :)
  • kennbeekennbee Member Posts: 5
    Is it possible that, as this type of system relies on a signal from a satellite, it has to locate the signal source when it starts up? I would imagine it would use some sort of GPS type tracker to keep the signal going while the car is moving (and while the radio is operating) but would need to re-calibrate after being off.

There should also be two "hot" wires. One powers the radio and the other powers the presets (and the anti-theft protection) so perhaps the one for the preset is not connected (internally) properly.

This is only a theory but it makes some sort of sense.
  • kennbeekennbee Member Posts: 5
    I seem to have replied to the wrong person. Here we go again:

Is it possible that, as this type of system relies on a signal from a satellite, it has to locate the signal source when it starts up? I would imagine it would use some sort of GPS type tracker to keep the signal going while the car is moving (and while the radio is operating) but would need to re-calibrate after being off.

There should also be two "hot" wires. One powers the radio and the other powers the presets (and the anti-theft protection) so perhaps the one for the preset is not connected (internally) properly.

This is only a theory but it makes some sort of sense.
  • sean32sean32 Member Posts: 2
    My VW Jetta 2.5 (2008 Model) has got an AUX-IN jack inside the armset. I don't know how can I get the audio system to read the input from an external device which is connected to the AUX-IN jack. I read the manual and it says you should press and hold CD button, but it really doesn't do anything. Any idea how can I get it to work?
  • sean32sean32 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem. Any update on this?
  • jwfejwfe Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 wolfsburg and frequently use the Aux-in with ipod. I haven't had any problems. You just press the CD button twice. The first time you press it the screen should say CD. The second time you press it the screen should read Aux-in. Hope that helps.
  • surfmansurfman Member Posts: 11
    Just purchased an '04 Jetta. Does anyone know the power rating of the Monsoon head unit and the size of the speakers (four tweeter size speakers mounted at the top of the doors and four speakers mounted at the bottom of each door? Also, has anyone had any problems with an '04 Monsoon unit?