Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 460 Owner Experiences

Comments

• imageproimagepro Member Posts: 7
    No I did not think I would ever use it.
  • ls460lls460l Member Posts: 1
    Check out the thread here, you might like to learn about the LS460 Navigation Lockouts before you buy:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=36462
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    ls460l, why don't you start a thread here so we can sign up without having to register on yet another site? I am definitely with you.

Renny
  • hendjazhendjaz Member Posts: 155
    Not sure what your point is here ls460l in replying to my much earlier and unrelated post that had nothing to do with Nav lockouts with Lexus. The Lexus crippled Nav while in motion is very well documented here and everywhere.
  • dcwalkerdcwalker Member Posts: 29
    My third LS. I have a love/hate relationship with the LS460. Never seems to drive the same twice. At times the shifting is unbelieveably seemless. Other times it is much more harsh. Performance varies mostly with in town driving. I can be in love one moment and cussing this car the next. Sometime the high pressure injectors are noisy. Other times I cannot hear the engine. The Lexus dealer just scratches his head. Blue tooth phone works marginally. The computer is a joke. Just give me back the dials and button from my 2000. I get the wind noise like many of the others who have complained. There is much to love about this car, but Lexus engineers have a ways to go. Who has time to go through an 1 1/2 inch instruction manual to figure out how to use the car. Just give me quality and performance and forget the junk. The car itself reminds me of a computer. No one knows how to fix it. If something goes wrong with it, and that will happen, it will be so expensive to fix, the fix will be more than the car is worth. Can't wait to see how it drives tomorrow.
    I
    Hi dcwalker, when did you get this car? If it's an 08 model it should not have the wind noise problem anymore. In any case I would say don't give up pestering the dealer to fix it. Good luck, and please report back how it goes.

Renny
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    You made my day.... I'm on my 5th LS430 and last August I attempted to trade my 2006 LS430 for the end of year 2007 LS460. I offered the same deal the local dealer has agreed to previously. The dealer balked at the deal. Then on Holloween (end of the month and end of the model year) they asked if I would go for the deal I previously offered. I declined. I'm still under 10K miles and like the car more each time I drive it and I'm comfortable with the car. Your comments on the computer and controls are interesting and reinforce my decision to stay with the 2006 LS430. Thanks for sharing your comments and experiences. BTW, on previous year model LS's they had a computer software fix that they could run to smooth out the six speed transmissions.
  • jtslagunajtslaguna Member Posts: 1
    Morning DC,

I have had similar issues.
    When I do my first cold start of the day, the car shifts seamlessly thru first and second , but gives a hard shift into third every time. It can be quite harsh.

I left it with the dealer that I trust, and had them keep it overnight to try and duplicate the issue and diagnose.
    They stated that this was just a normal characteristic of the 460.
    Hard to believe, especially since it only came on about the 3000 mile mark.
    I currently have 5000 miles on the vehicle.
    It does this through the first 2 or 3 shifts only, and then is totally gone, even if the car is still cold.
    There has to be a valve body issue in there somewhere, and I'm just waiting for a recall that receognizes the situation.

The only other complaint I have is that the Front Drivers Seat cooling is weak.
    The other seats in the car, especially the rear, work much better.
    Once again, they state that there is nothing wrong.
    Look forward to anyone else who has feedback on these or other issues.

Jim
    It took them almost 4 weeks from order date to arrival date, but my car, with all the options, finally arrived. My first impression is that all the good things I read are totally true. It is smoother, quieter, and more luxurious than even the '04 LS430. I've detected absolutely none of the problems I have read about (after 20 miles of driving).

As I moved my stuff from the 430 to the 460, though, I noticed that all the storage compartments are smaller. The storage boxes in the doors and in the seat-backs don't hold as much. The ashtray-and-lighter compartment (which I used as a temporary trash container) is smaller. The little narrow drawer for holding glasses or the like has disappeared, as has the drawer below the driver's seat. Even the change drawer is now smaller. It’s like Lexus it telling me, "Cut back on all your unnecessary stuff. Live simpler."

Thanks to ljflx and cyclone4 for talking me into it.

Renny
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Hey - Congrats Renny.

The more you drive it the more you're going to love it and when we get rid of these winter gas additives you'll see some great MPG numbers.

How do you like the LWB vs the short one in the LS430. I think that LWB helps smooth out the ride even more. If you have multiple cell phones make sure you set the system to recognize all blue tooth phones, otherwise you have to select a phone everytime you have a different one that's in use. Also taking the XM traffic subscription is worth it IMO.

Best of luck.
  • sidgriggssidgriggs Member Posts: 122
    How do you set it to recognize multiple cell phones?
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    When you go into the phone settings mode make sure it is on auto connect.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Congrats Renny!! Keep us posted on all of your new-car experiences! ;)
    Thanks Len and Pat.

I agree the LWB probably helps give a better ride. And the turning radius is still very good. Sadly, I live on a street whose width is just such that the LWB cannot make a U-turn, while the 430 was able to do it. But it's a small price to pay for the added perfection.
    After reading jtslaguna's post about erratic shifting, I became especially sensitive to my LS460L's shifting. So far I only have about 120 miles on it, but it did seem to me this morning when the car was cold that the shift from 2nd to 3rd gear was a bit jerky. I am hoping this will go away, but if not I certainly will expect Lexus to fix it.

jts (I assume you are from Laguna Beach?), are you satisfied with the explanation that "this was just a normal characteristic of the 460"? If any other 460 owners have had this experience, would you please post your opinion.
  • mikenj329mikenj329 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone else noticed a problem with the LS 460 pulling back when decelerating - like brakes are being applied when they're not? I have 300 miles on my new LS 460 and I'm noticing a subtle jerkiness that wasn't there on the 430 that I had.
    Update: After 2 weeks, I am no longer noticing any jerky shifting. If there ever was a problem, it has gone away by itself. Maybe I just imagined it because I read that post and wanted my car to be totally blemish free.

Renny
  • kmbaerkmbaer Member Posts: 20
    I don't know that I call this a problem, but I have noticed that the car does decelerate quite noticeably by taking my foot off the accelerator. I cannot compare this to the LS430 as I owned an Infiniti M35 prior to this car. I can compare this to our Murano which has a CVT, and it acts quite similar to it. I'm attributing the condition to the 8 speed transmission. I'm guessing when you decelerate it begins to downshift from the upper gear ranges. :confuse:
    If I am above 30 mph, mine coasts when I let off and I have not noticed what happens below 30.
  • pjsentpjsent Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone got experience using this car as an airport reservation car or as commercial ground transportation? Am considering starting a "limousine" service and this is one candidate vehicle I would consider. Any comments would be appreciated.
  • georget3georget3 Member Posts: 53
    My cell is Mot Razr with Verizon. How do I make the phone book uploaded to the LS460?

The Lexus sales told me it could not be done.
    Take your sim card out--put it in a Sony Erickson and transfer the entire phonebook. Then put your card back in the Razr and use it. My local AT&T store loaned me a new Sony E. long enough to do this in their parking lot.
    Thanks for the reply. Two questions on the LS460 voice commands (for now):

1. How do I program phone tag for voice command?
    2. I found poor info on the voice command from owner's manual, is there better source to look for additional info?

Thanks in advance,
    George
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    I like to know any troubles with LS460 owners.

I have been recently very impressed with this car haven't heard any bad things about it except a few that there is wind noise from the drivers seat

The only trouble I am having is I like to have a good driving position which IMO only suvs can offer. None of the lexus suvs have impressed me lately gx dont like rx old lx huge.

Then I keep going back to the bmw x6 which I think is a very unique suv well of course not every1 likes it, love the looks the style and everything about it. do know it doesn't offer comfortable back seats but I dont need the back seat or the cargo space,Then when I hear the troubles with bmw cars it scares the hell out of me

The harsh ride with run flats expensive to replace tires difficult to use electronics $2000 to change the brake pads thats what I've read. new cars going dead on highway the built quality isn't as good as japanese built :sick:

I am certainly lost and confused to choose :confuse: :sick:
    Please ignore my last call for help on recoding phone tag. I have found out how to do it. Actually, it is pretty easy once you understand how the phone book is organized.

Thanks.
    My only problem so far is after I programed security gate clicker successfully, it somehow did not work. I wonder if anyone has any experience in this matter?

My Megacoded garage door opener program works well.
    Hi

Since I am getting zero replys from here, Well maybe the reason is I am comparing 2 very different cars

I wonder you could tell me something, If not about the bmw x6 at least about the ls460.

!. How is the driving position.

2. How are the electronics

3.Because I feel the size is really big is it difficult for parking

4.Can you set the steering position I am sure you can just making sure because in the bmw X6 the steering is fixed you can not adjust it which is strange because even in a camry you can adjust the steering.

5.Is the ground clearance enough to go through speed breakers humps.

6. Since you own the previous S500 how better do you feel the LS 460 is and why did you consider the new LS rather than the new S class.

Did not consider the bmw 7 series?

I would love to know if you know anything about x6

thanks hope to hear from you.
    You need to visit a Lexus dealership--they will let you sit in a LS460.
    lmlexus:

Prior to the 2001 S500 (8 years), I drove 1994 BMW 740IL (7 years). Now, I have driven 2008 LS460 for a week. As far as driving position and experience, I like S500 the best. Both the 740 and S500 gave me numerous recalls and maintenance problems. Thus, I am now trying LS460.

I used to "drive and push" the car more than I do now. So, LS460 is doing adequate job in that department. For those who definitely require superior handling and steering, my recommendation is to stay away from LS460.

With that said, so far LS460 meets all requirements in other areas. Here are my comments:

1. Driving position: Literally unlimited adjustment.
    2. Electronics: Well designed and easy to use. With Navigation voice commands are very useful. Voice phone tags are easy to program and edit.
    3. Parking: It depends what space you may have. My LS460 is equipped with "Park assist and rear view camera". I find it to be very useful parking in tight space. I have big garage so I never have parking problem.
    4. Steering position: LS460 has numerous steering wheel adjustments. Well done.
    5. Speed bumps: I live in a gated community with many speed bumps. If you slow down, you should have no problem with any regular sedans. Many sports cars with next to nothing ground clearance will have problems.

Any question, just ask.

George
  • smithgsmithg Member Posts: 9
    DC,
    I have had similar experiences with my LS460. The shifting does occur 'rough' in the low range; for the 1st -- 3rd gears, one can discern its erratic movement, if the acceleration is gentle. A similar problem occurs on the slow-down. Around 30 mph on the deceleration, an abrupt shift occurs and the auto slows, only to later 'surge' slightly. Everything seems to happen at the low end of the gear range. No problem at the upper end.
    I have not other problems with this car. Other than the above, the car is excellent!
    rennybosch:

Has the shifting problem resolved on your LS460? If yes, how?

I just got my LS460 SWB for 2 weeks. I have been very disappointed on the car's engine overall (not responsive), and the transmission in particular. The transmission is jerky, cold or warm, at any speed, even though low speed (less than 30 MPH) is more pronounced.

I have driven 350 miles so far. Please advise.
    smithg:

Has the irratic shifting problem resolved on your LS460? If yes, how?

I just got my LS460 SWB for 2 weeks. I have been very disappointed on the car's engine overall (not responsive), and the transmission in particular. The transmission is jerky, cold or warm, at any speed. The jerky transmission problem is pronounced and consistant at lower speed (less than 30 MPH).

I have driven 350 miles so far. Please advise.
    mikenj329:

Mine is doing what you described in addition to jerky transmission and non responsive engine.
    Hi georget3,

I just took my LS460L in for its 5000 mile service and when I looked at my list of service request notes that I had made I came across the rough shifting, and was a bit surprised because I had completely forgotten about that problem. Either it went away or else I got so used to it that I don't notice it anymore. Anyway they said they would check it, but of course they found nothing wrong.

Have you experimented with the ETC (Electronic Transmission Control)? If that doesn't help, I don't know what else to suggest except taking the car back to the dealer and make them fix it. But of course remember that this car is not designed to be a sports car. . .

Good luck.
    rennybosch:

Thanks for the reply. I have not played with ETC, and I will.

In fact, I have passed my mid life crisis stage and I am so gentle with the LS460 that my wife teases me as an old man driving.

The LS460 jerky transmission is so apparent and troublesome that I do not understand how LS460 fans can forget it so conveniently. Maybe that is one of the reasons that LS460 sales is dropping big time.

The transmission is worse than any Toyota I have tested. I certainly will take it up with my dealer. My LS460 drives like a troubled 15 year old car.

I suggest anyone that has jerky transmission to go out and test drive an Avalon. It beats my LS460 by a mile.
    Thanks for the reply.

I have passed my mid life crisis stage and I am so gentle with the LS460 that my wife teases me as an old man driving

Your that gentle with this car :surprise:

The LS460 jerky transmission is so apparent and troublesome that I do not understand how LS460 fans can forget it so conveniently. Maybe that is one of the reasons that LS460 sales is dropping big time.

The transmission is worse than any Toyota I have tested. I certainly will take it up with my dealer. My LS460 drives like a troubled 15 year old car.

I suggest anyone that has jerky transmission to go out and test drive an Avalon. It beats my LS460 by a mile

Jerky transmission it seems your dissapointed with this car lately.

Avalon trans iss better than LS460!!! :sick:

I can't believe your saying it drives like a 15 YEAR OLD CAR :surprise:

You can always trade and get the next generation 7series coming within the next 3months. :)
  • rcox4rcox4 Member Posts: 4
    I purchased a 2007 LS 460 in December after really enjoying my LS 430. I would concur with many of the postings about how the shifting is not as smooth as the 430, but it is offset by other attributes. Where I am having a big problem is with wind noise. One of the things I have valued in all of my Lexus' has been how quiet they are. When I went in for my 6000 mile service and brought this to the dealer's attention, he told me it was due to a design flaw with the side mirrors. Recently a business acquaintence told me a friend of his had a similar problem and after testing four more cars, finally found one without the problem. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what action did you take?

Russ
    Orange, CA
  • jmcraneyjmcraney Member Posts: 19
    My car was so noisy I was going to have to sell it, until I figured out a fix. Others are having success with this too. Go to:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352398&page=14
    Thank you for the link. I read all of the messages and saw the discussion about the triangle trim, but am not clear what this is? Can you let me know?

Thanks again,

Russ
    Russ,

You need to read most of the discussion - over 10 pages. There are pictures and a procedure near the beginning. The triangle trim is the piece of plastic trim that is located at the front lower corner of the of the windows in the driver and front passenger doors. If you will start at page 1 you will be able to understand what to do. If you need some help I will work with you personally. I feel sure that your car will benefit.

Regards,

Jeff
    "The transmission is worse than any Toyota I have tested. I certainly will take it up with my dealer. My LS460 drives like a troubled 15 year old car. "

George, please let us know what happens. I hate to see the LS460 getting such a bad review.

Thanks -- Renny
    Renny:

I took it up with the dealer when the car was in for 1000 mile service. The dealer said they checked to make sure the software was up to date. They also said the LS is supposed to learn how the driver drives, etc.
    And the jerky transmission is still there.

I am just disappointed. To me, the LS fans indeed over sold the LS in many ways.
  • mooheadmoohead Member Posts: 3
    I have 460 for over 18 month now, I have also owned 400 and 430. I must said I would pick 430 as the best LS sedan.

460 interior is bit tight and small, sitting in the driver seat you look around and I would feel like I was driving a small sporty sedan, the coin tray placement is akward too, I also miss the air conditioning system of the 430 which turns automatically that blows out the cool fresh air. The navigation system of my 460 does not work too well either, many address I typed in which will not find. The exterior of the car look similar to ES300, if you park ES300 and LS460 side by side, they look almost the same.

Before I traded in 430 for 460 I did not think twice, I trusted Lexus reputation, for my next car, I will look hard before I committe to another LS.
    After speaking with Tustin Lexus and being told that the only reason I could hear more wind noise in my LS 460 than in my LS 430 was because the 460's ambient noise level was so low, I could now hear the wind. I must have been wearing my " I am gullible" hat that day. After speaking with the dealer I contacted Lexus' customer care department and I must say this made a bad experience worse. Once I submitted my issue I got an automated response telling me how much they valued my business and that I would be contacted within 2-5 days. On day 5 or 6, I was contacted by a young lady who asked me a series of questions which were all addressed in my original complaint. She told me she would look into this and get back to me. After waiting for three weeks I contacted attempted to contact her by phone and was told she was out for lunch. I left my phone number for a return call, which I never received. Four days later I called again and this time the rep was there, but on another call. The person who was assisting me told me that supposedly Tustin Lexus's service manager was supposed to have contacted me about a resolution. In lieu of some previous service experiences with this dealership, it came as no surprise that I had not. I was told they were going to replace my front windows with windows from an LS460 L, which are supposedly thicker. When I then went back and contacted the dealership the service manager insisted I test drive an LS 460 L first to insure it even makes a difference in my mind. If any readers of this posting has had this done, I would appreciate hearing from you as to your experience. The saddest part of this entire experience has not been the fact Lexus released this model with this defect in the first place, but they have lost their focus on being a truly great customer service company. I have bought four new Lexus' in the past 7 years, but will remember this when it is time to shop again.
    I still own an LS 430 and bought an '07 LS 460 last December. The only disappointment I have with the 460 as compared to the 430, is the wind noise. However, this problem is really impacting my satisfaction with Lexus. Had I noticed it when I test drove the car, I would not have purchased it. The 8-speed shifter, extra horsepower and the parking assist are in my opinion unnoticeable. I recently drove my 430 on a 2745 mile trip and repeatedly questioned myself as to why did I spend $70,000 for another car.
    Russ,

I know that I have already told you about the "Wind Noise" fix that I did on my car, but if you read all the discussion - it is up to 17 pages (243 responses) now - you will see your concerns about Lexus customer service and the replacement windows echoed there many times.

Several owners, including myself, have been through the window replacement and exhausted all other options with Lexus and then found a solution with the fix that I suggested.

It is a myth and BS that you hear that noise because your car is so quiet.

You are not likely to ever get Lexus to solve this for you. You can probably end you misery by doing the triangle trim fix. I know it sounds kind of hokey but it works.

Please read the discussion beginning at:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352398
    recently drove my 430 on a 2745 mile trip and repeatedly questioned myself as to why did I spend $70,000 for another car

You really sound unhappy...

I think you should try a different brand the next time...
  • wabendswabends Member Posts: 102
    Does anyone think it is appropriate for Lexus to release the 460 without checking the wind noise problem on the driver's side? That is very "unLexus-like". I have had my 460 for about 3 months now and it still boggles my mind that I have to put a duct tape on a >$70K vehicle to avoid the whining noise!!!!

Yikes, Lexus needs to do something fast to avoid eroding the customer base. Remember when BMW added an extra year of warranty to the 7 series (2002 and 2003 models) to appease customers for the initial lousy version of the 2002-2008 models? Lexus will be well served to do something before loosing people like me who is driving his 4th LS.

BTW, our other car is a 2003 745Li and it has performed smoothly without any glitch since we bought it.

Lexus listen up!!

:surprise:
    There is a solution - does the same thing as your duct tape, but without the down-home look - for you at:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352398

The instructions are at response #9 on page 1 and the pictures that go with it are at response #10. The discussion has gotten long but there is lots of good information there.

Good Luck!
  • wabendswabends Member Posts: 102
    Thanks for sharing this information. I will try it.