Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430 - Headlights

jerry5505jerry5505 Member Posts: 13
edited March 2014 in Lexus
I was wondering if any one else who owns an LS 430 is disapointed with the short distance the headlight beam on low? I have had the dealer adjust them the other day and they have a short beam on low. When it is dark with no street lights it is very hard to see at a distance without putting on the high beam.

Comments

• famwaldfamwald Member Posts: 114
    I've noticed this but it has not been a problem for me. I rarely drive on roads without street lights, though. In our neighborhood with sparse street lights, I tend to put the high beams on for certain hills and corners, in case a deer wants to jump out in front. Even at 30 mph I don't want to hit anything.
  • garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    I was wondering if any one else who owns an LS 430 is disapointed with the short distance the headlight beam on low?

I think it is partly a function of the very distinct cut-off at the top of the range of the halogen headlights, versus the normal softer "bleed-off" of normal headlights. This was a design choice made by the engineers to keep the extremely bright halogen lights out of the eyes of oncoming drivers.

Another factor is the auto-leveling feature of the lights, especially on a hilly road.

Lexus describes it as "The auto-leveling High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps of the LS cast a blue hue, illuminating a wide area of road and reducing glare to oncoming traffic."

The HID system is "Headlamps that provide illumination three times that of conventional halogen headlamps while power consumption is reduced by roughly 30 percent. They also feature auto-leveling that automatically adjusts the angle of the headlamps to help reduce glare to oncoming drivers."

So you've got extremely bright lights, but they can't be aimed very high up without blinding oncoming drivers.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    No - I find them to be adequate in all cases - the brights are a bit anemic, IMO. In my Volvo, the brights will illuminate a small city....
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    If you look at the internal structure of the newer Toyota/Lexus projector type HID headlamps, say the RX330, you will find that a "high cutoff" beam shading plate has been added.

Projector beam provides tighter forus and therefore brighter forward lighting in areas of true need. But because of that it also requires a better cutoff method to prevent blinding oncoming drivers.

Such a tightly focussed "projector" beam is also why many manufacturers are adding side swivel capability when turning. Sort of equivalent to the popularity of FWD resulting in the need for ABS and Trac(engine dethrottling) developement.
  • frisco7frisco7 Member Posts: 5
    I too have noticed the short distance the headlights shine on low beam. It is very noticeable and much worse than previous Lexus I have owned. Also, the headlights should turn in either direction but the manual is wrong on the button setting. It is in reverse of what lights show on the dash. Check it out.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Also, the headlights should turn in either direction but the manual is wrong on the button setting. It is in reverse of what lights show on the dash. Check it out.

I don't understand. What button setting are you talking about and what lights showing on the dash? BTW, mine do turn...
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let's continue the starting problem conversation here: Lexus LS 400/LS 430 - Startup Questions. See you there!
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Just installed aftermarket 4300K bi-xenons in my '95 LS400.

Pretty nice even on low beam, a tremendous improvement in night vision, especially so on high beam.

The LS is of canadian purchase origin so while it uses the traditional hi/lo filament halogen bulb it also has an extra high beam bulb each side that is also used as DRL at low voltage, in series, 6 volts each.

I doubt if it is really needed for HB, probably only there since the canadians require DRLs.

The aftermarket HID bulbs/lamps use a solenoid to move the arc back and forth to/from low beam and high beam position.

Bulb assemblies also came with their own metal shading for sharp upper pattern low beam cutoff.

Impressive.
  • luisfrluisfr Member Posts: 1
    The passenger side headlight on this LS 430 turns off while the car is being driven. Other times the headlight does not turn on at all. Has anybody had this problem? I think it is an electrical short, but am not sure. And recommendations are welcomed.
This discussion has been closed.