Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Caravan/T&C Squeaks, Squeals and Funny Noises

2»

Comments

• bskiesbskies Member Posts: 2
    I looked and didn't readily see my question, so I hope I didn't just accidentally miss it!

When I first drive my van of a morning (and later in the day, as well, if it's been sitting for several hours), from under the hood we hear a noise that sounds a bit like a low-pitched dentists drill. It gets louder when I turn, and once I'm through the turn it remains, but the noise level is back to what it was prior to the turn. There are times the noise almost sounds like it's skipping.

I might compare it to the way a handheld electric sanding gizmo sounds when you accidentally run off the side of whatever it is that you're sanding, and then you quickly move the sander back over the surface. It's like... a skip.

My kids' school is 14 blocks away. By the time I take them there and back, the noise has quit.

If I let the van warm up for 5-10 minutes before driving it, I never hear the noise.

It's got another 12Kish miles on the warranty. The problem is, there are no T&C dealers locally. I'm going to have to take it 45 miles away, and by the time I get the van there, the noise will be long gone.

Does anyone have a clue what it might be?
  • 2006caravan2006caravan Member Posts: 1
    A buzzing sound occurs each time you try to accelerate the vehicle, at a slower pace. Some examples are: when you try to maintain a certain speed, occurs when the cruise is set, when you try to accelerate slowly, and driving in stop and go traffic.

The buzzing sound seems to originate somewhere in front of the driver’s seat --- on the driver’s side of the vehicle. (In the general area of the gas/brake pedals or slightly above) The sound can be heard both inside and outside the vehicle. The sound is muffled from the inside and louder and more pronounced when heard from outside the vehicle. (Driving with the driver's window down)

The sound occurs in the range of 1-3 seconds. At times, the buzzing sound is a short burst. Other times when the gas pedal is compressed just right the sound lasts longer and seems to get strung out. Once the buzzing sound has occurred, it will not return until you release the gas pedal and once again try to accelerate the vehicle at a somewhat slow pace.

Furthermore, since the weather has turned cold the noise has seemed to disappear.
  • audiobuff2audiobuff2 Member Posts: 3
    When my wife accelerates from a stop, there is a low whoooo sound that seems to come from the back area of the van. It's happens more consistently if we are making a right turn.

Usually only occurs at slow speeds, but I think I heard it on the highway once. Once the van is moving, accelerating does not seem to make the sound. My wife says it's getting worse (happening more often).
    it's a 2005 TC Touring with the Stow-n-Go and about 55000 miles.

Any ideas?
  • lfsnz67lfsnz67 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2006 Town and Country Touring with Stow and Go 44000: It has started to make the exact same noise! To me it sounds like the rear brakes, I'll have the dealer check it out...
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    Sounds like a wheel bearing to me. They always warn you before they fail though, so heed the warning and get it checked out. There is no sense in being stranded over a wheel bearing. I know.... I have done it before and not in a particularly convenient place. :P
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Fixed ours. The rear brakes wore unevenly due to lack of lube on the slides. (mfg issue) New rotors, (yes it got that far) and pads, no more noise.
  • kayode65kayode65 Member Posts: 8
    my 2001 Town and Country 95000 miles has a clunking noise from engine, mechanics at Chrysler could not determine what it is, they had it on the ramp for free believe it or not (that's just because they thought it was a result of a job they had done, and one of the mechanics thought it was a heat shield). About four mechanics could not determine what the problem was and I have to book it in and the diagnostics wull cost more than $90. there guess is that it is a valve problem. It sound like there is a metal loose in the cylinder hear, that is the best way I can describe it right now.

I also have oil all over the engine block, but there is no oil dripping on my drive or garage, the mechanic said it might be the oil leak is when the engine is on.

Has anyone had similar problem?

Happy Holidays

K
  • eriefishingeriefishing Member Posts: 13
    Hi, brand new here. I have a 2005 T&C with about 46000 miles on it. The problem I am having is that there is a loud moaning coming from what seems to be both rear wheels. The noise becomes noticeable as speeds increase over 40mph. At hight speeds (70mph) it becomse very annoying. Also have noticed that the rear brakes now squeak but the dealer has informed us that there are plenty of shoe left. My local mechanic informed me that the moaning noise is coming from the emergency brakes. Any info is appreciated.
  • bjssbjss Member Posts: 51
    Hi - I seem to be having similar problems. My 2005 T&C has ~35K miles and recently had been making a loud moaning noise (rear end, underneath) on left hand turns. Dealership said it was the back right wheel bearing and replaced. Noise abated for a while, now back occassionally. Also, noticed that the rear brakes squeal, however, dealer said the pads are good. Would like to more about what your mechanic diagnosed. I'm planning to take it back to the dealer before warranty runs out.
    My Local Mechanic thought the moaning noise was coming from the emergency brakes, which are smaller drums on both rear wheels, rubbing against the rotors. He thought this because both rear wheels were making the noise. My dealer looked at my rears for the squealing sound and found nothing to be wrong with the brakes. I am going to have my local mechanic during my next visit rebuild one (the loudest) of my emergency brakes to see if that does anything with the moaning sound. If that doesn't fix it, it will probably most likely be a visit to the dealer, which I dread. I can live with the squealing brakes, but the moaning at highway speeds drives me nuts.
    Thanks for the reply - good luck with your mechanic's possible fix. I spoke with my dealer...taking the van in next week. He admitted that brakes are an ongoing issue with T&C's and he is constantly is repairing/replacing. In fact, he mentioned that Chrysler has a perpetual recall on their minivan brake systems...might be worth checking into with your dealer. I'll update after my visit.
    If there is a recall there is nothing in the system. I put my last 8 digits of my Vin for recall searches in Chrysler.com and found nothing regarding brakes. Regarding my local dealer, I never feel comfortable with speaking to their reps behind the counter. When ever you ask them anything its always "I don't know, but bring it in and we'll take a look".
    I made a post earlier about how we fixed ours, but it's small and easily overlooked,

We found that the rear brake pads wore unevenly ( they had been pressing in a V shape instead of flat against the rotor) and had worn out on just one edge of the pad.

So, if you look at one side, they looked good, but upon removal, the other side, which you couldn't see without removing them, was worn down to the metal and that was causing our noise. New brake pads and rotors fixed our noise and we have not had it come back.
    I appreciate the help. I will be taking my van in soon so I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks
    Thanks for restatign an earlier post. I will inform the dealer to check for this.
    Looks like my noise was coming from the Wheel Bearing. It was replaced yesterday and the noise is gone. Wish I would have got this fixed before Warranty expired. But at least if is finally gone.
  • guyjoeguyjoe Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am having the same issue. I replaced the AC condensor thinking that the noise was coming from there. I know my alternator is going bad because when I shut my car off it makes a dying noise before shutting off. I will be replacing the alternator but I am afraid I have a valve problem like what you described. Did you get that enging rattling noise fixed? If so, what was it and how much did it cost you? Man, I am so regreting to buy this piece of [non-permissible content removed]. Problem with my passenger window which stopped working. My radio also stopped working. Please let me know. Thanks. guysanchez@msn.com

Sorry for the rant!
  • bart19136bart19136 Member Posts: 5
    Good Day,

At 8500 miles, brand new I had to replace the front brake pads. At 11k driver side axel and front ball joint. At 16k all tires were bad replaced, 19k rear brakes. I drive City of Philadelphia over 30 traffic lights one way to work everyday. I replaced the brake rotors at 24k and brake pads 3 more times before 27k. At 29k, I walked out new years day to find the Rack and Pinion was leaking out of the passenger dust boot. Replaced under warranty. The humming noise in the front is the combo between the power steering and Rack and Pinion. If the alignment is off it will add more to the humming noise. At 27k the power steering was making strange noise, the dealership stated, I had air in the line and the drilling noise was the air in the line? 90 days later, at 29k I walked in and told the guy "REMEMBER ME?" the Rack is now leaking, so you guys couldn't figure out where the air was coming from? He did not reply except smile at me and said, we will check for impact accident and if not impact will replace under warranty. They have known for a while these vans have issues with the Rack and Pinion and Power Steering unit. At 38k after factor warranty expired, the water pumps died on me. Dodge has let me down for the last time. After being a dodge/Mopar Chrysler customer for over 20 years, I am tired. Right now, my front brakes are making noise. I replaced them April 15, 2009. One last note, everyone will like this, for some reason or another when very cold the turn signal will not work left or right or one will work but not the other. They said it was a unit inside the steering column $325+. I said, think again. For everyone reading this pass the word for all these caravan. Take a bottle of WD Liquid Wrench Spray, or Pepboys Brand. Clean the turn signal outside the steering column. Turn to right turn, spray inbetween the turn lever, then turn to left turn signal and spray. Lightly not too much. Allow to sit for a while, turn on the car, and spray cold air .Use one of the cans used to clean your pc. Allow to sit for a couple of hours, then spray the liquid WD again. What is going on is Chrysler Dodge did not put an extra protection cover inside the turn lever. Dirt and dust get in and in the cold water/moister gets in and makes the unit fail. I told the guy at the dealership what I did and he smiled again.
    Take care all

Bart
  • tcowner3tcowner3 Member Posts: 1
    I've had a rattling noise for over one year, driving both on smooth and bumpy roads. It's a very annoying rattling-clackling-sounds like the car is falling apart-kind of noise. I took it in to the dealer while still under warranty. They have already replaced several parts, still the noise continues. People, know you have rights. If you report the problem to the dealership while under warranty, you are covered, even if the warranty expires. The important thing is to take it in and report it before your warranty expires !! Demand the machanic to take a test drive with you. You drive and have them drive. I have done this approx 5 times already, always taking the foreman on a test, they come back, say they need to replace X part, replace it, next day, same noise. Today, they said the rack from the rack and pinion is deffective and replacement is scheduled. Let's see what happens. I will continue taking it in until the noise goes away. Too bad I can't return it!! In the mean time, if under warranty and you report the problem, you are covered.
  • dabushnerdabushner Member Posts: 1
    I had rattles at various times took to Firestone. They told me manufacture used brake kits on some of the brakes; if they didn't need them they were left off on some of the wheels. I had a kit put on the wheel that was missing it and the rattles went away. Have them check the brake area. Mine was making noises like you described. FYI on my 2009 sxt Dodge, 26,500 miles
  • superdave13superdave13 Member Posts: 2
    Our 2003 Grand Caravan has developed a high pitched whistling noise that is eminating from between the gas tank and van body. There is a small silver canister on top of the gas tank with flexible rubber lines running from it and that seems to the the origin of the whistling noise. What is this canister and what would it take to fix this problem?
  • bevansbevans Member Posts: 4
    What exactly "brake kit" was it called
  • bevansbevans Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2010
    I am going to answer my own question. I have found the problem. Most of your vehicles have a anti rattle clip on the brakes. I am missing one of the two on the rear passenger brake pad. If I hit the tire the rattle is heard. If I push on the brake pad and hit the tire the rattle is gone. Hence the missing clip is the reason for the rattle. I am having it fixed in the morning. We will see what it cost to fix the clip. I will let every one know. The kit is a brake pad kit.

2009 Dodge GC SXT
  • ffredfgffredfg Member Posts: 1
    Have 2007GC with 51k miles, for last six months when turning right, after braking get a moaning/WHOooo sound, usually when vehicle is hot; brake job, new tires, rear shocks, tie-rod ends, half-dozen trips to the shop; the other sound is the moaning I get in my right ear from the wife; HELP; never happens when turning left, or when stopping and going straight, only after braking and then making a more less 90degree right turn.
  • stanoskistanoski Member Posts: 76
    The moaning sound is coming from your wallet for another (one of many to come) Chrysler / Dodge repairs. ;)

Actually, its probably a round disk like thing that goes near one or both of your front wheels. Not sure on the part name but when mine were replaced it fixed my moaning problem for exactly the same issue.

Mini Van Dad
  • paulk5paulk5 Member Posts: 1
    can someone tell me how much does it cost to replace front and rear shock and struts for town and country 04.thanks :)
  • rbuck57frbuck57f Member Posts: 5
    I have a very well maintained 2005 Grand Caravan 3.8 with 137K miles, we are getting a loud whine that tracks engine rpm. It gets increasingly loud with time, especially after several hours of highway driving, after which it is hard to bear. I have changed the Xmsn fluid several times to no avail (the tranny works fine and has been carefully maintained). I have an oil extractor and am considering changing the steering fluid based on several previous posts - anybody have any recommendations or insights? Thanks in advance.
  • kikilalamamakikilalamama Member Posts: 6
    Ive just recently had my rack & pinion replaced as well as catalytic converter, when I got it back Ive noticed a morning chirp, which once warmed up and moving goes away. Ive looked online and it would seem its that the serp belt needs tightening? Would value others opinions on it and whether you think its related to the R&P or cat replacement?
    Thanks! :)
This discussion has been closed.