Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestyle Rear Brakes

14567810»

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Ford screwed up. It's obvious Ford is floundering.

That seems like a pretty compelling reason to not complain about the Freestyle's faults. However, one could interpret that as whining. :P

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • schmealschmeal Member Posts: 2
    But owners SHOULDN'T have to replace the rotors on a car that is that new. That wonderful Volvo design that you mentioned was the main reason we bought the car. Ours was an '07. My wife drives a lot and we were expecting # 1 and why not put your wife and child in a Ford Volvo?

My bigger problem, unrelated to brakes is the throttle body has gone bad in ours and we can't get a new one until December (at the earliest). This happen in August. I would gladly PAY to have it fixed, but there isn't a part to fix it with, and Ford doesn't seem to care. So I've been paying for a car since August that is unreliable. I guess this is just being pathetic and complaining to?
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I replaced the rear brakes at about 35,000 miels (and recently my front brakes) on my '05 Freestyle FWD with 75,000 miles. I bought aftermarket ceramic pads (about $50 for front and rear) and had a local shop put them in for $100. I was reimbursed by Ford for the cost of replacing the rear brakes. I kept on the original rotors. So far, I haven't had any big problems with the Freestyle.

As far as Volvo...I paid $23,000 for my Freestyle back in Feb 2005 and if I could have found a Volvo that seated 7 at that price I might have done so!
  • bigskyguy1bigskyguy1 Member Posts: 4
    I have an 05 Limited AWD. It has 29000 miles on it and have just put on its 3rd set of rear brake pads, the originals, warranty replacement and now by my mechanic. The rotors have been turned both front and back two times. I have only 12000 miles since the warranty replacement two years ago. The left rear pad had only about 10% left. Also I had a front caliper bolt broke. I hope the after market pads are better than fords, 12000 miles per set of pads is not very good. I did call my dealership and got no where. Customer service is out the window. This is my first ford and maybe the last after this brake episode.
  • fordfriedstylefordfriedstyle Member Posts: 1
    I just discovered this forum this evening after returning from my Ford dealership, which allegedly spent the day inspecting my '06 Freestyle, at my insistence, 3 weeks after I had the second set of rear brake pads installed on my Freestyle, along with a new set of rear rotors. My rear pads were replaced in March 2009 at 31,000 miles, but Ford covered it as part of a program it had at that time. I didn't think much of it then, but I did this September when, after only 16,844 miles, I was told that the rear pads were toast again, along with the rotors. This time: no program, so it came out of my pocket. I was incredulous at how this could happen. Dealer's attitude was -- your warranty is up, there's no Ford program available, the guarantee on the replacements has expired. Translation: We don't have to do anything for you, and we're not going to. After I complained to Ford Motor Co., they were suddenly interested in having me bring it in for a complete inspection, providing me a courtesy car at their expense. At the end of the day, all they did was replace the "slide pins" on the front calipers (at their expense, at least). The same service manager who 3 weeks ago asked me how my wife brakes when she drives, and hemmed and hawed and insisted he had no idea what could be causing this problem, tells me tonight that it's "par for the course" with this model and that all I had to do was go online and search "Freestyle AND brake wear" and I'd find plenty of info. Sure enough, I landed at this forum. I am simply outraged that the dealer misled me earlier. And I'm stunned that Ford won't stand behind its product and do right by its customers. :lemon:
  • chairsweeperchairsweeper Member Posts: 1
    I have 06 FS, have the rear break recall at 5k. Get a new rear pad and re-surface rotor. I was told by the dealership service manager yesterday that I need new rear pad again at ony 33k. I was told not cover by any warranty and thank you for $200+. Front pad never serviced and still in very good shape. I have other cars driving for 60k still with original pads. Is there a design flaw? Anyone file any complaint?
  • debbiew75debbiew75 Member Posts: 19
    Oh yes ma'am! And they actually sent out a recall on them!!!!! Which I used and replaced them at 32,000 miles. Of course they said it was the pads. And 30,000 miles later they have to be replaced again. These cars should not be having that. I am of course a "woman driver" as my husband states so my front brakes should be the ones needing to be replaced and i haven't had a problem with them. so i have had mine done twice with 82000 miles on my car! i was told the rear brakes should be lasting atleast 100,000 miles. My in laws own a 2006 and have replaced theirs 4 times!
  • debbiew75debbiew75 Member Posts: 19
    i agree completely! and i also agree that i know nothing about brakes! but then why the recall?
  • mssweene1mssweene1 Member Posts: 2
    I tried using the special tool from autozone and got the drivers side caliper back. I then used it on the passengerside and it didn't work...Long story short the tool is now stuck in the caliper and I can't get the cylinder to compress. Any suggestions?
  • mssweene1mssweene1 Member Posts: 2
    The tool is stuck by the cylinder being too far out to be able to remove it.
  • geoffrey707geoffrey707 Member Posts: 1
    i went to the website and posted my complaint awaiting any response concerning the rear brakes and rotors going out so quick i havent changed my front yet but this will be the second time on the backs with only 45000 miles. has any one else been have tire problems also i am going to be going on my third set and ford swears that my car is aligned
  • carrj142carrj142 Member Posts: 2
    I replaced after second set wore out, OEM RECALL, with ceramic pads. No problems for 40,000 miles.
    MY EXPERIENCE IS TO STAY AWAY FROM THE STEALERSHIPS AS MUCH AS POSSIBLY.
  • jimbo928jimbo928 Member Posts: 1
    you do know that the rear turns counter clockwise. I know this is late but I just found the site