Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang Electrical Problems

124»

Comments

• loncrayloncray Member Posts: 301
    My understanding from various forums (though I don't yet own a Mustang) is that there are several draws on the electrical system when the car is 'off' besides the radio. In addition, the alternators aren't the best, so the batteries aren't always charged to full. Have the alternator tested to see if it's fully functional.
  • juxtojuxto Member Posts: 16
    Not really an electrical "problem", but a request for help. I've been looking for an Aux Audio Input Cable for a 2007 mustang gt. More specifically, I need a wire that will allow me to connect a thumb drive to my auxillary input in the center console. I have looked online for a few days without success. Anyone have a site for this wire? Thank you in advance.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Umm......what exactly do you think is going to read the thumb drive? You'd need a mp3 player to interface with an aux input or something to actually read the thumb drive like Sync. PIE makes the adapter but again you need a mp3 player.
  • juxtojuxto Member Posts: 16
    Thank you. It's actually not for me, but for a neighbor. I use a thumb drive, but mine is in a new toyo that doesn't need anything additional. I didn't know how it worked with ford / 2007 technology.
  • moyo71moyo71 Member Posts: 6
    I assume that when I took the car to the Ford Dealership that they looked at it and tested it. Prior to taking it to the dealership, I had a friend look at it and he informed me that the alternator was putting out enough volt's, if he was wrong then I firgued that the dealership would have caught it.
    First, I can't speak for the older Mustangs, but the '10 and '11's with the electronic package will read music files off a thumb drive without benefit of an MP3 player. They have a 10Gb hard drive in their guts that stores music. They even replaced the 6 CD changer with a single CD drive because folks don't need all those CD's anymore.

Second, assumptions about what dealerships did or didn't do are dangerous. I think Autozone stores will check batteries and alternators - you might want to take the car there. My armchair diagnosis is that you've got something in the car drawing electricity even when the car is off and it's killing your battery.
    Yes, they do have a 10gb hard drive but you can only load the hard drive from CDs one at a time. Even with Sync you can't load mp3s from the usb drive to the jukebox hard drive. Without sync there isn't even a usb port.
    Without Sync (and the Electronics Package), there's no hard drive. Guess you'd need to insert CD's one at a time, like the old days.
    No, the hard drive is part of the Navigation system. The Nav system has a 40 gb hard drive and they found they had 10 gb left over and made it available as a jukebox. Since there is no connection between the Nav system and Sync you can't use the Sync usb port to load mp3s from sync into the Nav jukebox.

That may all be different with the new MyTouch interface but mustang doesn't get that yet.
  • zubygirl50zubygirl50 Member Posts: 1
    I've gotten so tired of my battery going died and having the dealership telling me that I just need to drive my car more often. I love my Mustang but hate wondering if it is going to start if I don't drive it every day! Just seems wrong, and since my warranty has now expired, they the dealership said to not worry about it since it had been in the shop so much that it is documented! That really made me feel warm and fuzzy about the Ford dealership. Well I guess that's the end of owning Fords, it's my 5th one! So sad, they say to buy American cars but look what happens when you do!!!
  • jeremiah6jeremiah6 Member Posts: 2
    hello i own a 00 base mustang with the v6 5 speed 3.8 yada yada yada ok i can not get the alt to charge had it tested and it test good battery still runs down while driving cant even run car 20 minutes off a twenty minute jump charge mean hooking jump cables up letting boost car run for 20 minutes then starting and driving. ok so yesterday i bought alternator had it tested, test ok put it in ran boost car for 20 minutes to make sure i had full charge on battery before starting started right up battery light still on no charge, got to oriellys they said battery was no good well of course thats what there cpu is going to say i ran the car 5 miles straight off battery with out being charge, but just too humor them i bought a battery put it in car started right up same thing battery light on ran it for 10 minutes turned on ac voltmeter dropped instantly sputtered died had alt rechecked checked just fine, replaced whole wireing harness from alternator too distrubtion box ran car for 20 minutes again too jump fired up car same thing. im so baffled and peeved i dont know what to do all my connections are fine battery is fine alt is fine and fuse is fine.....please help!!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well I see one problem in your equation right off---you can't charge a battery by running it to another car with jumper cables for 20 minutes. Not even close. Not even close to close. So you weren't diagnosing things using a "good" battery.

So why don't you fully charge (slow charge) the battery overnight and then see how the car's computer likes that.
  • 440_6440_6 Member Posts: 1
    well, this exact thing happened again!
    2006 mustang with pony package. my wife just had it washed 2 days earlier and an "intermittent" electrical issue occured yesterday!
    The first time this happened car was under warranty and they replaced a "pillar" gasket seal to prevent water entering cabin area and trickeling down pillar to inside passanger kickplate (where this electrical connection that I found was showing moisture corrosion on terminals )-I have pictures of proof that i submitted to FORD-

Second time 1 1/2 years later,after heavy rain, happened again. Car was out of warranty. Ford said sorry, not covered. I cleaned terminal dry and worked for some time until yesterday.

This time, an Intermittent electrical issue on her car had a complete electical system shutdown and then it came back on! She had car washed 2 days earlier and was driving in a snowstorm on I-80 after work. Had car towed in town to investigate issue.

will keep you posted if same problem. ">
  • krudawgkrudawg Member Posts: 2
    I am the original owner of a 2006 Stang w/pony pkg autoTrans. It has the Shaker 500 and all the available options. I also had the dealer install a LoJack system. At the 30K service they called and said the battery needs replacing as well as the alternator - even though it was starting up and charging fine with no problems. So it was done under warranty and at 52k miles I'm having dead battery issues (if car is parked more than 2 days. Autozone check battery and said it tested OK. So I have a friend put ammeter on the car after it has been shut off and and initially showed 1.XXX amps and after about 6 or 7 minutes it dropped to 0.30 and stayed there. I started pulling fuses one-at-a-time and when I pulled fuse #66 the load dropped to .12 and when I put the fuse back in it went back up to .30 so I pulled the fuse out and placed it in the "extra slot" I then started the car back up (V6) and check to make sure all the usual stuff worked and it did including the radio and powered seat. Here's the kicker - the owners manual states fuse position #66 is not used. I read a lot of stuff that the problem is with the Shaker 500 so I had a shop install a JVC KD R810. The drain on the battery remained at .12 with the new radio and everything works except I still am getting a dead battery after 2 days. I spoke with the Ford Service guy and he told me that according to his stuff that fuse #66 is not used. He told me to bring it in and they would open the fuse box and trace the wire at fuse #66. I told him that I didnt have $80/hr to have their tech's do what I could do but that as a dealer THEY should know what is on that fuse! So anyway, anybody happen to know why Im getting a battery drain that kills the battery in 2 days ?
  • krudawgkrudawg Member Posts: 2
    Ok, My 2 yr old Motorcraft battery which was replaced by the dealer under warranty finally failed today. I purchased a new battery and installed it today and I hope it solves my problem but I still have a battery drain of 110ma which is about double the draw that most new cars may have. I will keep this thread updated as time moves forward
    You should be fine with only 110ma draw.
  • tx78109tx78109 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 mustang V6 that has the same problem, did you find the problem.
    Thanks
  • e1979e1979 Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys. I got 2006 Mustang V6. My "CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM" warning keep coming on. Changed the battery, alternator and checked alternator fuse and wires and it's all fine. Does anyone knows what the problem could be?
    Only thing left are the battery cables and terminals. It's also possible the replacement alternator is bad or the wrong model.
  • e1979e1979 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks dude
  • robbyh3robbyh3 Member Posts: 1
    Did you find out how to fix this? I am having the same problems on a 1995, i've narrowed it down to the green wire off the top of the altenator, but dont know where it leads too???

Any help?
  • carvmanncarvmann Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2006 mustang V6 containing electrical issues at the kick panel. They claimed that they did a did a diagnostic @ 169.00. Lights went out on freeway. Stated I need a smart box. Claimed they put a new one in. 883.00 dollars. Lights went out on freeway again. The did another diagnostic and stated I needed a new battery 264.00 dollars Lights went out on freeway again, I gave up with Ford dealer as they stated I need a new wiring harness. Aprox 3 grand to replace. Vehicle has intermitten problem. Tonight cat would not start,turns over but doesnt kick in. Yanked out the smart box plug and shows green corrosion on male prongs, left car where its sat. Any great ideas how toclean off male prongs? Ford dealer never mentioned about a "pillar gasket" they just stated leak around the windshield. I need to find a place who does electrical repairs in Puyallup area
  • mustangheathermustangheather Member Posts: 3
    I have a 99 v6 3.8 L Mustang. The traction control light went out. It will still work, but sometimes the car acts different right at around 30-45 mph but once i get past that it's fine. I don't know if the switch is out, fuse is blown, or what? No check engine light has ever come on that I've noticed. :confuse:
  • cps432cps432 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Mustang and I used to have a massive water leak above the electric panel on the passenger side. There is a trough that collects water run off from the windshield. There's a drain with a rubber boot that's suppose to regulate the flow of the water drainage. If it fills with leaves and twigs it keeps the water from draining. Then the water fills to a point where they have a vent that leads to the inside of the firewall and water pours into the car like a water fall. It soaks the electric panel and causes shorts. I've been having all kinds of problems with my electrical system. I removed the panel from around the windshield wipers and removed the rubber boots from the drain so that they don't catch leaves and I haven't had the water leak anymore, but the electric problems are getting worse. I fear I will need a new wiring harness. I've been chasing a cylinder misfire for days now and I can't peg the problem. It must be electrical. I'm getting tired of Ford these days.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    mustangheather, this might be a good question for our answers section, where some of our members hang out to answer quick questions:
    http://answers.edmunds.com

After you post your question, you can check for responses by clicking the "my answers profile" link near the top of the page.

ClaireS, Host
    Automotive News & Views | Coupes & Convertibles

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• cohrcohr Member Posts: 1
    Alright, I have no idea about cars, Mechanical wise. But i own a 2009, v8 GT Mustang, Its sapose to be the 25th anniversary addition? It has 22'000 kms on it, And i only had it for about 4 months. Before that, it was previously owned, by a man who took care of it, so the dealers told me. I bought it at 11'000 kms. If this Information is needed.

When i drive it around, though does not happen all the time, The head Lights start to Flash like a strobe light, along with the dash board lights. . It happened last night when I reved my rpms to 2700. And the time before that, When i had my music turned on really loud. The car did not completely Stall on me. It just seemed like a really big Power shortage or something.
    Usually any electrical problems concerning the smart box is due to water coming into the interior of the passenger side compartment. The water in some cases is due to the plugged drain holes from devris located under the windshield cowling. Remove the cowling ( some models you may have to remove the wipers). In addition most likely your interior ventilation filter is either wet or damaged at this point. After cleaning under the cowling replace the filter which is also under the very cowling held by a few tabs. Entire proces takes under 10 minutes so its quite easy to do.

I forgot to mention that the water which was built up under the cowling seeps into your interior filter dripping onto your smart box. You may at this time have to replace the junction box (avrg price about 700 +- dollars. If you dont have a full blown problem as of yet you might pull out the fuses and clean the prongs with a brush or try electrical cleaning fluid of sorts. Be careful which fuse you pull out or else you might end up reprogramming the vehicle. Hope this helps. If you owners dont have this problem ---- yet------ Check under your cowling just for the heck of it thus maybe preventing future electrical problems.
  • kathie6971kathie6971 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2001 Mustang. We started having problems after leaving it sit for about 6 months. Car wouldn't start replaced battery. Worked for 2 days. Replaced alternator. Worked for 3 days. Took battery to be tested ... dead exchanged for new battery. worked for 1 day. Took battery, alternator and starter off to be tested. All Good. So what else could be draining the battery? :sick:
    Parasitic Drain perhaps---here's a good tutorial on how to track down such a problem:

PARASITIC DRAIN
  • cornerofthewebcorneroftheweb Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Mustang. I went to my daughter today and when I backed out of the drive there was a strange noise, like the brakes were sticking. When I put it into drive everything seemed fine. While I was driving home I noticed I was low on gas and decided to stop at the next station which was about 6 block away. After about 3 blocks the low fuel indicator came on and when it did, the radio and lights turned off. After about 30 seconds everything came back on. I pulled into the gas station and turned off the car and filled up the tank. When I got back in the car started just fine but the fuel gage still showed empty. Then when I tried to put the car into gear it wouldn't move. I tried to pull the emergency brake and it was frozen. I noticed the radio wasn't on. I turned the car off and got out. No dome light. No chime even though the key was in the ignition. I pushed the door lock button to unlock the passenger side and it didn't work. I tried the key fob but nothing. I opened the hood thinking it must be electrical and maybe if I disconnected the battery it would be ok. But I realized I don't have any tools in this car. So looking around under the hood I unplug whatever it is in front of the fuse box, plugged it back in and then went back into the car and it started right up, the gages started working, the lights and radio came on and the door lock button and FOB were working. I closed the hood and drove home. The car ran perfectly all the way home (about 10 miles) but now the engine light is on.

This is the first problem I have ever had with this car.

Does anyone know what might have caused this? It has been raining like cats and dogs all day. And what did I unplug and why did it make a difference?
  • snowartistsnowartist Member Posts: 4
    Don't know if you found out what was causing the trouble, the battery drain. I have an 06 Mustang and my husband said the glove box light was staying on , so he adjusted it so it would go off when the door closed. Try pulling the bulb to test it and see if that works.
  • bgray19792bgray19792 Member Posts: 1
    Hey I have a 2006 Mustang that is having the same problem at the moment, the water leaks in and soaks the box and causes problems with the head lights. At first they would never shut off, and no when the defrost is turned on the high beams come on on their own. Have you had any luck fixing this problem?
  • yanlafyanlaf Member Posts: 2
    My batterie is charge ,car wont start all electrical dont work , when i put the key to on the car i can hear the fuel pump priming on the cluster only seat light and baterrie light comes on , all the fuses are good and with my test light connected to the ground baterrie all fuses have power . :sick:
  • yanlafyanlaf Member Posts: 2
    Wont turn over either
  • mustang94mustang94 Member Posts: 2
    I have a ford mustang with a major electrical problem ever since I was cut off and rear ended a car knocking down my whole bumper, and messing up a headlight, I had them replaced and the bumper bent back up into place, and the passenger side window motor replaced. And now my car while driving over charges it self in surges, very high electrical surges making my heater and lights much stronger and cutting off my radio eventually blowing out my alternator and a 30 fuse, we have replaced both of those twice thinking it was the alternator but it must be something else. Also when I turn left or hit bumps my dome light flashes on. And there is air from my engine coming in through my defrost and below my dash while driving that smells like oil not radiator, and the vacuum hoses are all good.. Please help me with these mysteries..!!!! It's a 1994 GT FORD MUSTANG V8.
    Has anyone load-tested your battery and also checked the battery for a large parasitic drain?
  • krp1413krp1413 Member Posts: 2
    I have had the same problem with my 07 mustang water starting leaking from under glove box/ SJB area since 2011. We have had major electrcal issues and my car will no longer start and have replaced two batteries in one year. My car is currently out of service and won't even turn over. What can I do to get Ford's attention in this matter , the local dealership wants us to pay for service. We do not have the funds to dish out on this vehicle that is not even paid off yet. Any ideas???
    Check the passenger side floor to see if its damp. Chances are that your fuse box which is located on the wall between your windshield and passenger window is corroded. In addition check if your interior air filter looks wet/damp/moldy or dirty which indicates you had a leak. First part of the remedy is to remove the panels below your windshield wipers as the drai holes is probally block with debris. What happens next is this: Water fills up as it cant drain,then enters into your interior air filter box which in turn water drips or runs downwards the wall into your fuse box thus corroding the contacts. You now have 2 choices if this is the case,try to clean the contact points yourself with an extremely small brush as you have to scrape the corrosion off. Second choice is to find a repair clinic and replace the fuse box(most likely you'll have to do this) Cost of box and labor is about 700.00 Try a dealer and it may cost you about 2 grand. Do NOT let someone replace the fuse box under your hood,that is NOT where the problem is. Its going to be the fuse/brain box on the wall next to your passenger door. Good luck
  • krp1413krp1413 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. We pulled the carpet loose and our SJB has major corrosion. Since my leak started after my warranty was expired the dealership won't repair without us forking the bill. We cleaned the SJB and it did start but it is still having electrical shorts with radio and lights. I have recently contacted BBB to take this further since our car is under 7 years old and is considered a lemon because of major water damage. Even if we wanted to trade it in we couldn't because it reaks and major damagg has been done.
  • deakonavorydeakonavory Member Posts: 2
    I too have this same year and model and know very little about cars (though I am starting to learn). Recently I took my car through a car wash and after parking to vacuum it out, I noticed water leaking from under the glove box. Soon after that, later on that night, I started my car again and the clock/radio does not turn on. Does this sound like the electrical problems that everyone else is having? Where can I find more info on how to find the areas that need checked for water damage and corrosion? (I like to have visuals for anything 'under the hood'.)
  • deakonavorydeakonavory Member Posts: 2
    Forgot to mention that I checked the fuses for the Radio both in the car and under the hood to find I did not blow a fuse as I fist thought. I saw no corrosion in either of these fuse boxes.
  • mustang94mustang94 Member Posts: 2
    Maybe your heater core, mine has leaked before, but on my driver side.. the water may be your main problem. I'd try to figure out what's leaking and if anything within your dash got wet. I don't know much either just experiences.
  • twells71twells71 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 ford mustang that is giving me a major problem. After it runs for about 10 minutes...it starts to miss and the engine light starts flashing. The scanner says it number 4 misfire. We replaced plugs...plug wires...coil pack...fuel regulater...and fuel filter. It hesitates to start and when it firat starts...it hesitates to pull out. But once you pull out it runs great for about 10-15 minutes. Then it starts missing really bad and the check engine light starts flashing again. I'm so confused. Please help
  • gvalenzuelagvalenzuela Member Posts: 8
    Hey guys, I have an automatic 02 mustang gt that I'm working on. Got a few electrical problems. First, the abs fuse inside the car blows as soon as I put a new one in. 2nd, in the fuse box under the hood, the audio fuse and the cig illumination fuses also blow as soon as I put a fuse in. And third, for some reason, the driver side speaker and window won't work. Also, this one is odd, but the wiring behind the lower panel on the driver side has many clips as if them wires were tapped into??? Not sure why or what the purpose was. Maybe that has something to do with the problems. Also the car is equipped with the machine 1000 audio system in the trunk, but those woofers also DON'T WORK.... Can someone help please???
  • gvalenzuelagvalenzuela Member Posts: 8
    Have an 02 mustang gt automatic 4r70w transmission. Its a little project car. Finally got her starred after it sitting there for a little over a year. Took it for a drive and the speedometer isn't working. Also the transmission won't up shift out of 1st gear. Help?