Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Charger: Aftermarket Accessories & Performance Mods

flwolveflwolve Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Dodge
Has anybody put an after market spoiler on the Charger yet? I called around and somebody gave me a quote of "around" $500 but I don't think that was a firm quote.

Does anybody know if there is a performance chip out for the Charger R/T yet? How much do you think that will cost?

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    2 reasons:
    1 is that most aftermarket manufacturers don't go through the rigorous development and testing that the car's manufacturer does when designing the exhaust and intake. therefore, an aftermarket part is not always better than stock.

2 is that bigger is not always better. When you are dealing with an NA engine, a certain amount of backpressure is needed for the engine to operate optimally. If the exhaust is TOO free flowing, then you are not getting enough back pressure for the engine to burn the fuel efficiently. And for the intake side, it needs to be designed for optimal airflow and keep out as much engine heat as possible. Again, not all aftermarket systems are designed properly.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• xtecxtec Member Posts: 354
    I found a site that has OEM rear spoiler unpainted for $399.They have a 2post which looks like the factory one I had on my Intrepid SXT.This goes for $279.95 painted.Thats a good price.Web site is WWW.autotrucktoys.com/dodge_charger/ .I hope this helps.They also show all acc. for Charger.
    I found a Performance Chip (module) for Charger 5.7 Hemi.
    It's made by Jet.The part#jet-90404 stage 1,this is for stock Hemi.Price is $239.69 from Summit Racing.Stage 2 is for a Hemi thats been modified is#jet-90404s,price is$249.69.I hope this helps.
  • brlz28brlz28 Member Posts: 3
    Is there an aftermarket modification available for the R/T (Daytona) to give this vehicle a little more rumble of the true muscle car? I got rid of my old Z28 and recently drove the new GTO and both had more of a rumble that you would think a hemi would??
  • looneytoonlooneytoon Member Posts: 14
    If you mean more of a muscle car sound. I used the magnaflo cat back exhaust system for the charger and then I put a AEM cold air intake setup on it. hope that helps.
  • chargerboychargerboy Member Posts: 3
    Just wanted to know why you picked magnaflo over Borla? I was planning on putting at Borla exhaust and a K&N cold air intake.

Do you have a new chip?

Thanks
  • looneytoonlooneytoon Member Posts: 14
    the Magnaflo has more horsepower and a deeper sound at higher RMPs then the Borla. I like Borla but in the case of the Hemi you are only buying a name and not true performance.
  • lividlizardlividlizard Member Posts: 2
    Hello All,
    I have been reading this forum, and it seems that some of you suggest not installing dual exhaust on the SE. I have been looking forward to installing dual exhaust on my SE for months, not only for Hp boost, but for looks as well. Is there no kind or type of dual exhaust anyone can recommend for the SE? Or should I give up on it??? Note, doesn't some SXT models come equipped with dual exhaust? Does that factory OEM kit give any kind of performance boost? Help me please, with my exhaust dilemma!

Thanks.
    -B in Miami.
    If you read loneytoon message 887,893 you will get your answer for your exhaust question,I have a SXT and they don't come with duals.I'm leaving mine stock,I tried a K&N and it was a bad idea,I lost performance and MPGs.Good luck
  • losskilosski Member Posts: 12
    Did you try the duel exhaust? I'm in the same hole you are in.
  • sgpd101sgpd101 Member Posts: 3
    I did not change the exhaust. After reading all the feed back from people on this site, and all the problems that some people had with loss of power and things, I decided to just leave my TOP BANANA just the way she was. I loved her whey I bought her, so as for right now, I am just going to leave well enough alone.

If you change yours and have a positive out come, let me know. I was looking at "flowmasters" from ebay they were $789.00 and free shipping.

Best of luck and keep me updated.
    Liz
  • raybanrayban Member Posts: 6
    I have a Charger SXT and I have had the daimler dual exhaust installed. I addition, I installed a K&N filter. I have a noticable performace increas e. It looks and sounds fantastic, and have had numerous compliments on it. The factory dual exhaust is designed for the car. While I appreciate those who suggest not to get it, there opinions may be more accurate for aftermarket systems. If you are thinking about getting dual exhaust system, go for it, you will not regret it!
    Has anyone with an SXT or SE added the nicer R/T shift console bezel. It looks much nicer than the black trim one. If so, is it easy to take the old one out and pop the new one in. Is it an espensive part? Thanks
  • lividlizardlividlizard Member Posts: 2
    How is it that so many people (on this and a few other forums) are saying that they are losing performace and mpg with upgrades such as exhaust and intake? :confuse: I thought that exhaust and intake could only make and engine better, as my dad always said, "more air in, more air out"... :surprise: I think it could be because your not going all the way, perhaps if one were to install headers all the way thru to true cat-back dual exhaust... with cold air intake then the performance would surface? ;) I don't know... any thoughts? I personally am looking forward to installing duals and intake but now I am all :confuse:
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 1
    Hey I'm considering purchasing an 06 Charger. I want to add exhaust but I'm torn between Borla and Magnaflow and does anyone know much about rims? I want to go with 22 inch wheels but I've heard that they can scratch when you take sharp turns, does anyone know anything about this? If that's the case what about 20 inch wheels? Thanks...
  • daffindaffin Member Posts: 30
    The SRT8 comes standard with 20 inch wheels. I've read that the '07 R&T package for the R/T may also come with chrome clad 20 inch wheels. Beyond that, I know nothing about how large you can go with aftermarket wheels.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    While I haven't studied the any of the four engines that DC is putting into the Charger and its siblings, I do have a considerable amount of research history to offer an opinion as to why a large free flowing exhaust system can in many cases yield lower fuel economy and lower power at any given throttle setting.

1) Exhaust system harmonic resonance. This is a huge issue in 2-Stroke engines, and manufacturers spend considerable resources to tune the exhaust system such that the shock wave inside the header rebounds in such a fashion to actually aid in cylinder packing (volumetric efficiency). As any of you 2-Stroke dirt bike riders can attest, there is usually a fairly narrow "Sweet Spot" in the power curve where the power spikes. Said power spike is usually caused in these engines by the shock wave of the exhaust pulse rebounding off the back side of the exhaust chamber and then "pushing back" toward the exhaust port. As the intake port is almost always open before the exhaust port is fully closed, the combination of the pressurized intake charge and the rebounding shock wave leads to greater cylinder packing.
    2) In 4-Stroke engines it was long ago found (like in the 1920s or 1930s) that engine efficiency (via better scavenging) was improved by opening the intake valve before the exhaust valve was fully closed, thus using the intake charge to help "Push" the remaining exhaust out. This technique is commonly referred to as "Valve Overlap", and my guess is that all of the Charger engines are so designed.
    3) Assuming the Valve Overlap scenario holds true for the Charger engines, then by replacing the stock intake and exhaust system with "Better breathing" hardware, you will most likely find that the larger intake charge meets far less resistance in the combustion chamber during the period of overlap because the better breathing exhaust system is allowing too much scavenging. Said another way, with better breathing, you are effectively pumping a higher than optimal percentage of your unburned intake charge right out into the exhaust system before the exhaust valve closes.

Regardless of how the engines are designed, the bet is that DC has tuned the harmonics of the intake and exhaust to match as best as possible the rest of the engine. To the best of my knowledge, the only way to successfully utilize a freer flowing intake and exhaust system is by installing a cam specifically designed to compliment the new plumbing (i.e. given the better intake flow and the better scavenging, the new cam will provide for a shorter period of overlap, or even eliminate the overlap all together).

Once again, I have not researched these engines enough to know if my theory is true, so please don't quote my brief thoughts as fact.

Let the discussion begin. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Glad to know it worked for you. I'm go to get it on my charger also. You installed it for you? What was the price?
    I have 22" on my charger and it's fine. you can see my car on mycarplace.com
    Where can you buy it from?
    You have a nice looking ride,I think you should put on a SRT spoiler and finish it off.I added one on my SXT and it made a big differance on looks.You can see it on mycarspace.I got it from Sportwing.com and paid $288 painted,a perfect match on paint with a 5year warranty.
    Thanks for the info on the spoiler, I'm going to buy one and put factory duels on it also. :shades:
    I paid $415 for the parts ..the dealer charged me $140 to install..about an hour and half wait.
    I priced it out from a dealer...if you want to put R/T parts on an SXT, you need to find the VIN off an R/T to pull up the parts on their computer. The cost is $146. Does anyone know if the shift console just pops off...I quite sure its just a pressure plate that holds it on.
    I'm ordering my Exhaust on Monday from the dealer for $425 and a Exhaust shop will put it on for $100. Dealer said $79 an hour. :cry:
  • used2bfastused2bfast Member Posts: 6
    Hi Shipo,

Thanks for an excellent post, and allow me to add a few things.

First, rest assured that any engine produced for the purpose of daily consumer use is far from utilizing an idealized harmonic resonance relationship in its intake/exhaust systems. Critical tuning such as what you are describing will exist only in the most carefully engineered and contemplated internal combustion engines (read: Ferrari, Lamborghini). The fact that John Q. Public can go out and slap a simple K&N filter on his V-8, along with a crummy Chinese exhaust system, and see a 15-30 hp increase is testimony to this fact. Trust me, DC, GM, Foad [sic], and whoever, all know how to make their engines produce more horse, but the reason they don't is simple; Engineering Economics, a.k.a., "...build the cheapest POS that will still get the job done, and get it out to the public...". The intake and exhaust systems sold with 99% of the vehicles today are produced with far more emphasis on cost reduction than they are in making power. This is (again) why aftermarket manufacturers such as Flowmaster, GHL, Corsa, etc., all can make a living - because John Q. Public is doing far more to assist the acoustic performance of his engine by removing the factory parts, than he is to hinder it.

Just my two Euro.

used2bfast
  • discgolfer99discgolfer99 Member Posts: 42
    Went to the dealer this morning, 7:00 am sharp, and bought the Dual Cat Back Exhaust kit (# 82209611) for the V6 3.5L Charger. Arrived at "Awesome Performance" (near work) and they started installation at 8:15 and completed at 9:00.

Kit Cost $426.00
    Install $120.00 (Dealer wanted almost $300.00)

Sounds Great.
    Looks Great.

I am VERY happy...... So far.....
    I am EXTREMLY pleased wih the dual exhaust. It sounds totally awesome. It looks great. And best of all, my car no longer hesitates when stepping on the gas. I don't have any data (numbers) on the actual improvements, but the car is extremly more responsive now. (Sorry for using extremly twice).

I HIGHLY recommend it, if you are on the fence. It exceeded all my expectations...
    I did the same thing and i am Very happy also. :shades:
    Let me know if there is a differance on your MPG.I don't want to invest that much money if the mileage doesn't go up.
    xtec - will do. It will probably be a couple weeks, as I want to burn through a couple tanks to get the numbers. I have been tracking my milage since I got the car, so I have a good history to compare too...
    Thanks for your reply,I appreciate it.
    My mpg are good and went up and it sounds good.
    Disc-Have you come up with any numbers on your MPGs since you added the dual exhaust?Right now I'm getting between 19.8 and 20 in the city and don't want to mess that up.
    Thanks for your help with this.
    I was just logging in to report...

If you are looking for or expecting "ROI" (Return On Investment) from this endevour, I wouldn't do it. The milage has improved 1 to 1.5 miles per gallon. That's maybe a savings of 1 gallon per tank (for me 1 tank per week), at about $3.25 per gallon, thats about $170 per year savings. It will take about 3 years to reach payback point. Actually, on second thought, that is not so bad, since I do plan on keeping it for at least 3 years.

I still would mention again how awesume it SOUNDS, and the increased HP is "very noticable". I am very pleased with the outcome.

I ordered a K&N Air Filter on Monday which I should get today. I'll see if that makes any noticable difference...

CHARGE ON !!!
    Disc-Thanks for the report.If it will give me better performance and MPGs,it doesn't sound bad.I will do more thinking on it.I plan on keeping my Charger for 4yrs.I put A K&N on mine and I lost power and 2mpgs with it.I sent it back to K&N and put back my stock filter,and now its back to normal.On the stock filter it says high flow on it so I think it out performed the K&N.Maybe with the dual exhaust,
    it will work better,you just have to wait and see what happens.Thanks
    Disc- Thanks to you and losski the cat back has landed for me.I gave it some thought and went for it.It looks awesome
    and sounds good.I paid $385+tax and my dealer installed it for $79.I thought it was a great deal so I didn't feel bad.
    I noticed on top of the chrome tip it says Borla.Those are one of the best systems around.It also gave some specs for the system.It says there is a 10hp gain 6ft.lbs of torque
    and 255cfm more exhaust flow.Thats pretty good.Borla wanted
    849.99 for their exhaust so I say we made out nicely.
    xtec, congrats on your move. I'm sure you will remain very pleased with your purchase. I still crack a smile when I step on the gas and hear the roar. You got a great price all the way around. I paid $425 for the unit, and just over a hundred for the install, although the dealer in my area wanted about $200 for the installation. Sounds like you have a reputable dealer.

Any other mods to your charger? I got the dual exhaust, tinted windows, K&N air filter, and I removed the "3.5L HO" symbols off the sides of the car. I got the K&N after the exhaust, and I did not notice any difference with it.

Charge On !!
    Disc- I have the tinted windows ,alarm system,now the duals,and the one thing that made a big differance in looks is the SRT spoiler.Plus mine came with the 18inch R/T wheels.The dealer I go to has been very good to me and I
    have been going there for about ten years.I got the exhaust price cheaper because I got the mechanics discount,And I convinced my service adviser to install the exhaust for 50hr rate.As I said before I tried the K&N and was not happy with it.It seem to kill my power and lost MPGs with the K&N.
  • lflowerslflowers Member Posts: 155
    What's the deal on the Mopar cat back exhaust? Is it made for the Hemi engine? How much louder does it make the car?
    I went by the muffler shop that put duals on my 300M yesterday to see what we could do to the Charger and found that they are out of business. I'd like the Charger to "talk" to me a little more, but I don't want to wake the neighbors if I leave early some morning.

Lynn Flowers
    McKinney, Texas
  • 2000rt12000rt1 Member Posts: 8
    I would recommend Zoomers Exhaust. Expensive but well worth it. They dont have the drone that most other catbacks have and have the perfect blend of sound. They also give a boost in horse power and a slight increase in MPG. Go to zoomersexhaust.com or read about zoomers versus Borla, Mopar and others at the Charger enthusiast site Chargerforums.com.
    I have the Mopar cat back on my SXT.It sounds great and it won't wake up your neighbors.The Mopar(Borla) exhaust gives you the closest to OEM .Borla has been working with Mopar for 28 years,so I would say they know Mopars the best.The
    Mopar cat-back will give you 10 more horses and more MPGs.
    My Mpg went up about 1.3 plus the extra power.There are some people on this forum with the mopar cat-back that are happy with their system.Good Luck
    What did you ever do about your exhaust?I'm totaly satisfied with my Mopar(Borla) exhaust.My nephew told me it looks better then the stock R/Ts pipes and bigger.I hope you selected something.The stock exhaust are restricted.
  • aaaaa5staraaaaa5star Member Posts: 5
    I found this mod for the SRT8 chargers brakeworld.com looks pretty sweet.
    About 1.5 weeks ago, I purchased a Garmin Navigation system, model "Nuvi 660". It's an AWESOME Nav system. 4.3 inch screen, Bluetooth (for hands free phone), this, that, the other, etc.

For installation, I was not too keen on having it attached from the Windshield (illegal where I live (CA)), nor did I want it attached from the Dash itself. The first weekend, (Feb 24), I removed one of the Air Con outlets in the middle of the dash, the one closer to the driver. I then "plugged" the air outlet inside the dash, so no Air/heat would come out that vent. I installed the attachment arm inside the Air Con vent, so the Nav unit was just in front of where the air diverter was. I also wired in a new Cigarette Lighter receptical under the dash, and routed the power wire to this, so there was no cord on the outside. It wasn't bad, but even when I bought the unit, I had high hopes of installing it "IN-DASH". I am somewhat concerned about theft. This past weekend, I went for it. My neighbors must have thought I was CRAZY, as I had the center panel out of the car (the silver one that covers radio, air vents, air/heat controls. I had to use a dremel to cut away some of the molded plastic/rubber on the dash. The chips were flying everywhere, smell of burning rubber, etc. I had to cut and seperate the air con outlets, as they are a single unit for the two outlets. I could almost hear the "What the hell is he doing to his car"...

I can't believe how nice it turned out. It even exceeded my expectations. So now, instead of 2 air outlets in the center of the dash, there is a Nav system in the left one. I was sure I was going to have to install an external antenna, and possibly external microphone and speaker, but to my surprise, the system still gets FULL strength reception from the satellites. And even though the microphone on the front of the Nav unit is now covered by the dash, it still works just fine. People say they can't even tell I am on a speaker phone...

Can't wait to post some pictures. I may even go into business installing these things in Chargers/Magnums/300's... (LOL)

Anyone know how to post pictures here?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    You can post pictures on your CarSpace page and then link them here using the IMG format tool beneath the post box.

How about creating a guide? I'm sure there are other do-it-yourself types that would appreciate it.

http://www.carspace.com/guides
    Thanks, Karen...

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Wow, you did a nice job! :shades:
    disc-You did a great job.Maybe you can get some work from your local dealers to install them.That fits in nice.
This discussion has been closed.