Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Charger Transmission Problems

SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
I've been VERY interested in getting a Charger or Magnum, but now I'm spooked. I have a friend who works in the auto industry (technical information) as well as one who's an engineer at Consumer Reports who are both pretty set against them.

It all comes down to transmission issues. This would seem to be confirmed after digging around on chargerforums.com it seems like a huge percentage or people have experienced the trans. leak and needed new gaskets etc.

This does not give me a good feeling about long term durability. That said, those same guys all seem to LOVE their cars. :)

I'm spooked. Thoughts?

Comments

• xtecxtec Member Posts: 354
    I think the transmission those Mags are talking about are the 4speed.I checked all the service bulletins and the only one I find is for the'05 300.That is for a shudder when the converter clutch kicks in.My Charger has the 5 speed auto,and so far its the smoothest transmission I ever had.
    My last car was A '02Intrepid SXT with the same 4 speed that the 300 owners are complaining about.I can tell you that the 5 speed is lot better than the 4speed.I have just
    over 1000 miles and so far its been great.I think another problem is it takes time the the computer to get to know your driving habits.Once its complete it should shift better,that what I found with mine.Also being a retired mechanic,I had to reprogram the computers(trans) with a test drive giving it all driving conditions.You have to do this once power is lost.I also think the '06 have the bugs out from the '05 trannys.which were the trial transmission.Thats to bad for the ones with the problems,but thats what they count on to improve the product.I hope this helps.
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    I thought the same, until I started digging more.

http://tinyurl.com/b9hnr

In the US, there are NO civilian 4spd Chargers. The 2.7/spd combo is limited to just fleet units. You can get the 2.7/4spd. in the Magnum though.

The Hemi and the 3.5 both get the same 5spd auto, and it IS having issues.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    If you read the referenced posts to the end you will find it was a leaking Transmission pan gasket. A problem granted but NOT a serious problem.
    I did read all the way. I'm just afraid it's indicative of overall quality down the road.

Coming from a string of ultra-reliable Japanese cars, I'd hate toe buy my first American car in a decade and have major issues.

I'm not trying to bash the car, I'm just concerned.
    I checked every tech bulletin I could find and there is no
    bulletin for leaking transmission.Only thing on the tranny is a shudder from torque converter,but I think these are early production cars.I'M a retired Mechanic and can pick up a problem right away.So far I see no problem and say its one of the smoothest transmissions I ever had.I think the gasket leaks could have been bad gaskets.If it was serious ,I think they would put out A bulletin.
    Good to know, I appreciate all the extra input. :)
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    I rented a brand new 06 Charger (4K miles) while my primary car is in for body repairs and have been very impressed with the ride, steering, and handling - especially for the money. BUT, I have also experienced transmission klunks at low speed with the 6-cyl auto. There must be something to this.

Great ride though...
  • batistabatista Member Posts: 159
    My 06 Charger shifts kind of hard (differently)when cold and once the engine/transmission warms-up it is fine.
    I found it frustrating at first because with it being a brand new car I didn't want to take it to the dealer.
    The manual states that when the car is new it learns the shift points and when cold you need to pause for a few seconds when shifting from park to drive.
    What exactly do you mean by klunking? When (cold?) and at what speed and hard acceleration?
    It does it after warmed up and at low speeds with no stress in the equation. It is an auto tranny with the 6. I can actually feel the klunk - a momentary thud sound in an otherwise smooth gear transition.

If I owned this car - it would be back at the dealership.
    Are you talking about the 4 speed tranny or the 5 speed tranny.There is a big differance in the two.If the car has the 2.7,its a 4speed,if it has the 3.5 then its a 5 speed.I have the 3.5 with the 5 speed,and mine is smoother then any tranny I had.I did have the 4 speed in my 02 Intrepid SXT that did clunk when you slowed down then take off.
    I have the 3.5L with 5 speed. One time going up a hill and at about 30mph I floored it and there was a 1-1.5 sec hesitation followed by some shake then it climbed hard.
    Have you floored it while driving at 30-40 mph?
    I remember test driving before I bought and the 3.5L isn't that great at highway speeds when you floor it.
    The acceleration and smoothness is best when flooring it from a stop. It makes some nice sounds too.
    the charger only comes with the 3.5 liter six.
    The Charger has the 2.7 for fleet and rental cars.I just talked to a salesman at Compusa and he had a 06 Charger with a 2.7.I read that they were going to have the 2.7 for the 07 model.If you see a Charger with no badge on the fenders,thats the ones with the 2.7.If you go on the Dodge website and look under Charger ,it shows the 2.7 as standard.
    It was an Enterprise rent-a-car. Returned it already since the 530 got fixed. I was impressed by the car though.
    Thanks, thats pretty good coming from someone who has a Beemer.I like my Charger SXT,The 3.5 has plenty of power for me,plus all my driving is in the city.Your rental car was probably the 2.7 with the 4 speed which I had the same clunking you had with my Intrepid SXT with the 3.5.It might me the nature of the 4 speed to do that.
    I did your test at 30-40 range,and mine kicked in fine with no weird sound other then normal engine,and exhaust sound.No
    shake.
    Thank you for your reply.
    I have a little less than 1000 miles so once I hit 1000 I will try it more often. What I felt was probably the transmission downshifting hard.
    Once the rpms go down to 650 I can tell the transmission will shift a lot smoother.
  • maddie24maddie24 Member Posts: 2
    ive got a 2006 dodge charger and it has only 20000 miles on it and it haas a leak undewr it which looks like tranny fluid , dont nthink it power sterring or brake fluid, has any one else had this damn problem? :P
    Sounds like your still under warranty.Take it back to the dealer.Some people on here had that problem,and it was a O-ring leaking on the transmission sensor.It should be no problem fixing it.
  • crankeecrankee Member Posts: 5
    I own a 2007 with the 6 cyl 2.7 engine. Loved the car, although a bit underpowered. After a few months I developed the transmission shudder when slowly accelerating from about 1200 rpm. It shuddered and seemed like it didn't want to shift unless I stomped on it. Very annoying in traffic. I've had the car in 4 times for service. First they said it was low on oil, then they replaced both upper and lower manifolds (said they were warped), and also replaced a cracked PVC valve. When the manifolds were replaced, the car then developed a high pitched whine. No one could explain that. They finally had a Chrysler rep look at the car, and he said everything was operating normally. Very hard to believe. HELP!!!
    Crank-I'm sorry that your having all these problems with your Charger.I have a '06 SXT and love it,and so far no problems.I found a service bulletin that sounds like your problem with your transmission.Its service bulletin #2100207,the date of bulletin is July 17,2007.It states torque converter shudder,and shift improvements.To me thats sounds like that is you problem.Tell the dealer to check the bulletin #to see if it is for your car.The high pitch noise your hearing sounds like you might have a vacuum leak somewhere in you engine.Have them check for a leak.I hope this helps.If the dealer gives you a hard time,try another dealer,even a Chrysler dealer,which ever would be closer.Good Luck.
  • maddie24maddie24 Member Posts: 2
    got my charger in and had it fixed within 45 minutes, it was a o-ring on the sensor, what a relief , love the car so far.
    Thanks for the reply. I'll do more digging. I did call another dealer already, and he said he would not look at my car unless authorized by Dodge to do so. I think I will though. Hate this dealer.
  • jrturf35jrturf35 Member Posts: 1
    I too have had the same trouble. I have a 2006 Charger. It is currently in the shop for the second time for this problem. They said the torque converter was changed on the first trip. I also have a check engine light that keeps coming on. Said I had a carbon build up in the intake and throttle body. I had them to clean the areas. I have had the car less then four months, and it has been in shop three times so far. I like the ride and handling. Not to mention the appearance. It sure be nice to leave in my garage, instead of the dealer.

Thanks for the heads up on the service bulletin. I will be sure to pass it along. They no mention of this at the dealer.
    jrturf35-I hope you get your problem resolved.I have a question about your carbon build up.If you have the 2.7 engine,their is a problem with sludge build up,and it also has a PVC system problem that would cause your carbon build up.Good luck,and I hope you get to enjoy your Charger.
    I was told that I had a cracked PVC valve and that it was replaced. I've even received e-mail from Chrysler syaing that they contacted the dealer and their own technician said the car was fine, but I could bring it back again if I'm not satisfied. Go figure. Then why would I bring it back? After having the car in for service 4 times, I'm tired. I'll drive as is, and return in in 2 years when my lease is up.
    Thanks
  • charge_itcharge_it Member Posts: 5
    I have an '08 with the 3.5L HO. It only has about 2500 miles on it, and I am feeling a shudder, but only when it shifts from 1st to 2nd, and not all the time. I just got it back from the shop and they said they did a software update, and test drove it and it was fine.....I still feel it!!
    You may need to drive it for awhile for the transmission to reprogram to your driving.If that doesn't work,ask the service manager to go with you for a ride,and show them when it happens.Good Luck
    I feel your pain. The car looks great, but it's a piece of crap. Since they worked on mine, I now have a whistle that they hear, but cannot find. Sounds like a vacuum leak. I also have a speedometer needle that will ocassionally bounce to zero and come back. They told me that it was a fuse that will sometimes blow when you use the CD player. Which I never have. No more Dodges for me!!
    Thanks, but I've had the car over a year. It should have done that already. Besides, I don't want a car that has to adjust to my driving. The service manager did feel it when we took it for a ride. Didn't seem to make a difference, and nobody seems to care. I guess they're not concerned about losing business.
    Sorry to hear about your problem.I have A 06 Charger SXT and love it.Sometimes you get a bad one.If you wanted to,you could try another dealer,or call Chrysler and see if they will buy it back.As far as the Transmission learning,all cars have electronic trannys that need to be learned to your driving.Good Luck
  • jetskiblackjetskiblack Member Posts: 1
    Hi, well I bought a bran new 08 3.5 STX Charger last week. It only has 400miles and I have the same problem. I have not taken it to the dealer yet I want to see what real pepole are going threw first. Any advise with the weird sound from 1st to 2nd.
  • charge_itcharge_it Member Posts: 5
    Yeah, I have had mine at a few different dealerships, and one wouldn't even admit there was a problem, the other one said they know about it, but Dodge hasn't come up with a fix yet....so it is "performing as designed". Supposedly it is a computer problem with the shift program.
  • 2wornout2wornout Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 charger 3.5 with the same shutter problem in transmission between 1st & 2nd. Less than 400 miles on it. Returned the car to the dealership for repair. Was told the following day by service tech, this was a normal condition & i should drive the car more aggressive. They even put this on the service ticket. I again returned the charger for repair & they installed computer update. The shutter is still there. Have called dodge several times, only to be refered back to the dealership.
  • valatariavalataria Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2007 Dodge Charger 5.7 Hemi. My question as follows: When I want to really get down on my car and have shift to 1st gear and when I punch the gas, my transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd before I want to. What can I do to solve this issue ?
  • larrylove711larrylove711 Member Posts: 9
    :sick:

I have an '06, 3.5LHO with 45K on it.

Had the O ring changed at 18K (I bought it at 16K).

Went to the dealership Saturday for an oil change and was recommended to have the throttle body cleaned, which I did. Driving away from the dealer, I had that old familiar hesitation and skip in the trannym followed by the usual service engine light coming on. This has happened in the past, with the light clearing up after a drive cycle and Dodge saying that there is nothing wrong. Started 'er up this morning (14 degrees in NYC), felt the familiar sluggishness of the very cold tranny... but she had a new trick for me today... would not get out of 2nd or 3rd gear and th eautostick wouldn't work. Couldn;t drive any faster than 50, with the engine revving to high.... so I took her back home and will drop her off at the dealership tonight for hopefully a fix under the extended warranty.

For the record... after taking the car back home, I fired up my '99 V6 Mustang with 202K miles on it (original tranny and engine-it's literally a high speed sherman tank) and blasted off to work. If this tranny issue with Dodge isn'e rectified... it may very well be my last Dodge... ever.
  • justice4alljustice4all Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2007 Charger and I will tell you this, this will be my last Dodge/Chrysler ever in my life. This is my first Dodge that I've owned and mainly because I would hear and witness horror stories about the transmissions...and then I saw the charger and thought it looked like a "Beast", so I went out and bought one (like a dummy). 1st. 780 mi. in, I noticed that when the trans went to 2nd gear that it would do this qurky feeling like a hesitation/jump or some madness (it still does it @ 40,000k), took it to a dealership, got the classic run around about how "CHRYSLER" has sent a fix for that yet. Aren't you a CHRYSLER dealership? Fix it!! "We can't". replies the tech inside the heated shop with about 8 other chargers that looked to be doomed. Anyway, other things I notice, if I'm driving on the freeway, the speed needle will just drop to zero, then kick back to normal. What? -oh, need I say that 2 out of the 4 speakers don't work anymore (and no I don't blast my music), I just turned the radio on (usually sports radio),and I only have 2 speakers working. One in the front, and one in the back. Now keep in mind, I have not had this car a full 2 years yet.... I'm done with chrylser/dodge/diamler or whatever or whoever they are today. My next vehicle will be.................a Honda Accord. I hear people saying "Buy American" and all that, but you know what? I'm paying the note, not them. I would buy another one if it was reliable, but for the most part they are not. The proof is in the $28,000 pudding I'm stuck with.
    I have never in my life seen a co-orperation line Chrysler,that totally refuses to rectify customers' concern when it comes to repairs that should be done when the problem is stairing them in the face. The service directior all the way down to the repair techicians. Nothing but a bunch of liers. No need in calling the Chrysler Co-orperation for assistance,because they will stand behind what the dealership tells them. Always unable to duplicate,normal operation. I will never in my life ever buy another Dodge/Chrysler product again. As soon as General Motors come out with there Camaro,this pile of crap of a dodge will be gone.
    My name is Larry Jackson from Hewitt,Tx. I bought my Charger from Sam Nay's Waco Dodge. For everyone that's interested in buying from Waco Dodge,don't. The service after the sale is terriable and they only tell one lie after the next. My Charger has been into that shop more times than I can count and I still have a knock in my engine. Diagnosed as normal operation,unable to duplicate. No need in calling Chrysler assistance,because they are only going to believe what the dealership tells them. I requested to have meeting with the district represenative,only to be told we don't have one. This has been this way since july 2007 after my vehicle brokedown at 1143 miles. now I have a knock in the engine and no one that represent Chrysler to turn to,so I will just keep driving it until 2010 when GM comes out with the new Camaro. I will never again in my life buy another Chrysler/Dodge product and will discourage anyone else from making the same mistake I made. GM hurry with the Camaro.
    Good luck with the buy back. Chrysler will never buy it back,but they will fill you a bunch of BS. They are the worst corporation I have ever delt with. Never again will I buy another Dodge/Chrysler product. This was my first and last. They are not going to do anything,because they don't have the qualified technicians to do the proper repairs. I am speaking from experience. Sell it and buy another product other than Dodge/Chrysler and save yourself some headaches.
    Larry Jackson
    Hewitt,Tx
  • salnascarsalnascar Member Posts: 1
    They won't buy it back, but it's a Mercedes Trans let them fix the problem they are doing good and have the money. I was going to buy an SRT8 instead I purchased a Mustang at least there not going anywhere.
  • jimponderjimponder Member Posts: 1
    06 Charger SXT 3.5HO w/ 5speed auto. First AND LAST time Dodge owner.
    This is the GERMAN tranny.
    Like so many of you, I too am starting to notice this shimmy in the tranny. I can't believe they never put a dipstick in these trannies. My issue: my tranny lines run right next to the power steering pulley (as yours do) which eventually wore them out because they were so close. I was cooking down the highway doing 70 when it happened. I saw nothing but smoke. I pulled over, had it towed only to have the dealership tell me they need to get the part ordered. 2 weeks later and 3 attempts they tell me that they can't get the part. So now I'm stuck with a car payment and an immobile car. Being a backyard mechanic, I am very tempted to say the hell with it and fix it with a rubber hose replacement.
    So my warning to all check the lines that run up the driver's side to the transmisson cooler in front of the radiator to make sure they are far enough away from the pulley so you aren't stuck without a ride like myself. Does anyone know who actually manufactured these lines so I can order them direct?
    :mad:
  • junkyardogjunkyardog Member Posts: 44
    I have a 2007 Charger 5 speed that I bought in Dec./07 and the reason I bought it was because of how few problems there is with these transmissions. I figured that 27 posts by Dec/07 was excellent compared to most other vehicles that you read about in these forums. Sorry to see that some have had problems, but all makes have problems and after 100,000 or so chargers sold in 2007 then a couple bad ones isn't bad. Mine has 40,000 on it and no problems with tranny at all. Did change the cheap break pads and rotors for better quality at 32,000 and oil changes is all I have done. Yes I would buy an other one. ;)
  • 08blackrt08blackrt Member Posts: 10
    My 08 R/T will, unless something changes drastically, go down as easily one of the best, if not the best, most trouble free vehicles I have owned in over 35 years of driving. I just turned 16K, and the problems have consisted of a rattle in the dash, fixed in a few minutes when getting my oil changed. That's it, nothing else! My last vehicle, a 2003 Dodge Ram wasn't trouble free, but it nearly was, and in the nearly five years I had it, it was in the shop for one day. The dealer, Charlie's Dodge in Maumee, Ohio, gave me a loaner, and have always treated me very nicely, for the 26 years (on and off) I've been dealing with them. When I want to test drive something, I get to take it for like half a day! All it costs me is gas. I'm going to miss Chrysler/Dodge if they go away. Out of six Mopars I have owned, 5 were at least good, and a couple of them were great.
    Having a good dealership is the most important part of owning any make of car. Way too many dealers screw the customers and treat them so bad, that they never want to buy that make of car again. Some of their mechanics are more interested in doing the job fast instead of doing it properly. If the big 3 made most of their dealerships treat their customers properly, then they wouldn't be in the mess they are in now. Glad you are having good luck with your charger, because they are a nice car. I tow a 2 thousand lb. trailer with mine and you wouldn't know it was there until you put the brakes on and then you feel the extra weight.

It seems that everytime a Chrysler product has a tranny problem, then everyone says they are all bad. I have had 6 Dodge products and never had tranny problem.
    :)
  • 2007_tundra2007_tundra Member Posts: 10
    I am 6'8' tall. This is by far the most comfortable car I have ever owned. And being handicapped with low back issues, I have more than enough leg and head room. The heated seats are a plus. especially in the winter when it's cold outside. The ride and performance is outstanding. Diamler put this car togeather just right. I have to say that this may be the best vehicle I have ever owned. I had a cop ask me some time back How fast does it go? Because it looks really fast. I told him 55 or whatever the speed limit is posted. LOL He told me that I was being a smart azz. Yep!! I'll never tell. By reading the other posts here of the people that have problems. I am wondering if maybe it is because this Daytona was made in Germany and assembled in Canada with different parts. Or does it have different parts? And maybe work ethic here in the U.S.. Who knows? Sorry to those that have been having the troubles.
  • benny14benny14 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2007 Dodge SRT-8. From day one the transmission has had a shutter. I have taken this vehicle back many times for repair. They always tell me the same old Bull. It's the computer. If that is the case why don't they just replace the Damn thing? Instead of giving me the run around. They replaced the transmission, so they say. But the problem is still there.
    I bought this car on 9-11-07 and from then until now the car has been in the shop 115 days." A HUNDRED AND FIFTEEN DAYS." I tried the Lemon Law way. But that did not work. My only recourse is to get me an attorney and sue their [non-permissible content removed].
  • michelle35michelle35 Member Posts: 4
    I'm ready to buy a Charger SXT. I live in Cleveland. Has anybody driven their dodge in the snow? If yes, how did the car handle? Is there any reason I shouldn't be buying this Charger?
  • paulseidpaulseid Member Posts: 1
    I started to notice a drop in shift quality between 1-2 in slow moving traffic situations after 30000 miles. Computer has been reset, fluid exchange performed, and now a road test at a dealer by the leading tech supervisor of tranny and his asst who will drive the car tommorow will hopefully get to the bottom of this.The check engine light has not turned on. I am hoping they dont just find nothing. but that is what I am coming to expect which is what i fear. The cars tranny computer has been flashed fresh three times now and a quart of tranny fluid was added - but no change to the general feeling that the fluidiity of the hydraulics between gear 1 and 2 is in the process of going and the car doesnt feel tight tranny wise. Tranny wise it is more like a dodge caravan from whence this tranny apparantly had descended from.. It is intermittant, not on all gear shifts. I am worried that its is a quality issue of the 4 speed which is apparantly the weakest link in this car. Any luck on your end???????????
    I have driven mine for 2 winters and we have 5 months of snow each year. The first year I left the all season tires on and it was hard to get going in deeper snow so the second winter I put Nordic snow tires on the car. The difference was like night and day for handling and traction in 12 inches of snow. I have driven front wheel drive cars since 1970 and would put the charger with the snow tires against any one of them that I have owned. Mine is 2 wheel drive so I would think all wheel would even be better.

Can't really think of any reason not to buy a Charger anymore then any other car. What people buy should be their own choice if they like it or just want it. Good luck on your decision. ;)