Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Charger Routine Care & Maintenance

2»

Comments

• xtecxtec Posts: 354
    I never heard that one,but the 2.7 has a history of sludge build up in their engine that will cause alot of engine problems.I read that the PVC system has a problem that cause the build up of sludge.The fuel pump is in the gas tank,but never heard of coolant in the tank,doesn't make sense.
  • I popped my hood yesterday in my 2007 dodge charger and ran the engine, all the while i was hearing a constant clicking noise, i wasnt sure if that was normal or if my fan was lose or what?
  • Has anyone ever heard a constant clicking in the engine while looking under the hood? I'm growing somewhat concerned.
  • batistabatista Posts: 159
    Which engine? 2.7L, 3.5L or 5.7L?
    The 5.7L has a tick that can be heard with the hood open. Not sure if you will get much help here. Chargerforums will be your best bet and if you search the forums in the problem section it is discussed quite a bit and sometimes the dealer will say its normal.
  • xtecxtec Posts: 354
    Why don't you go to a garage get a opinion,then take it to your dealer if there is something wrong?It could be anything making the noise.
  • smithedsmithed Posts: 444
    try lxforums.

lifter? timing chain?

My 5.7 is not that smooth at idle, being a pushrod engine, but smooths out progressively as the RPMS go up. :shades:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,056
    Could be noisy injectors as well.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• Hi everyone....I just bought a 2008 Charger with the 3.5 L Se plus packager...love the car so far ...except for just one thing....there is a whistling noise coming apparently from the exhaust in front of the left rear wheel...its sort of loud.....sounds like a jet engine ....its constant when idling, and I cant hear it inside the car.....its not unbearablely loud....but it sounds like an air leak of some sort....is this normal??? The car runs fine. I bought the car two days ago, with 20 miles on it. Thanks!!!
  • wterrywterry Posts: 1
    Hey I think I have the same problem, I also have an SE plus, let me ask you this, do you hear it when your driving and the radio is off? I think the noise gets louder when I accelerate.
  • Have a question for other Charger owners. Recently bought a new Charger, owners manual says to change oil every 6,000 miles. In my other vehicles, I have changed oil every 3,000. I just don't know if I should follow the manual's recommendation for every 6 or if I should still go ahead every 3. 6 would be great, but is it too good to be true or what? Any advice? Thanks!
  • batistabatista Posts: 159
    I change the oil every 6 months because I use synthetic.
    Based on the owners manual you can't be denied warranty work unless you exceed the 6 month maximum.
  • Are you still having this problem? I love my Charger SE Plus, but I am hearing the same noises. I think this happens the worse when I am driving at constant speeds. I have to increase the speed of the vehicle in order for the noise to go away. The constant whistling noise outside of the vehicle is the fuel pump (at least this is what the Dodge technician has told me). We compared four Dodge Chargers and they all do the same thing, BUT the whistle noise while I accelerate cannot be normal. If I take my foot off the gas, the noise goes away. If I continue to go at a constant speed, the noise returns. This is embarrassing! If anyone has any feedback or updates on how they resolved this issue...please let me know. I am taking this vehicle back to the dealer until I get a resolution. I will keep the forum posted. Thanks!
  • I have the same problem on the 2008 SE Plus 3.5L
    Many other people have this issue on their cars and it seems like its not just the 08 models. Owners of 2006 and 2007 models report the same issue.
    This seems more of a design flaw than a problem.
    Check out the thread regarding this whistle here:
    Charger Whistle - ChargerForums.com

Hopefully the manufacturer will find a resolution and release the information to the service departments at the dealerships because it does not seem that anyone had this fixed yet even though the service advisers can hear the whistle.
  • This morning, my lovely Charger stalled while turning into a parking lot at about 5 to 10 miles per hour. I cranked it and it started right away.
    I drove to the dealership and it did not stall again. The dealerships' service department thinks I need a tune-up and an intake & throttle body cleaning.
    I would rather not spend the $$$ right now...
    I asked around and some people say it sounds like bad gas, so my next plan is to replace the air filter, then add fuel injection cleaner with a tank of premium gas.
    Does anyone have any other suggestions????
    2006 Charger R/T (Daytona: 5.7L, 350 HP V-8) with 43,000 miles so far.
  • Rainysunshine, FWIW, I have a 2006 SXT (3.5L HO, 250HP V-6). I experienced that same thing, twice. The first time was about 2 years ago, I pulled out of a gas station, after just filling up, went about 200 feet and then turned into another driveway, and the car stalled. It started right back up and all was well after that. I did attribute it to the gas at that time. The next time was about 3 or 4 months later (i forget the circumstances, but it was NOT just after getting gas). Anyway, I told myself that if it happened again, it was going into the dealer (still in warranty). It never did happen again. Now have 44,000 miles. STILL LOVING THIS CAR!!
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
    An advertising agency would like to speak with satisfied Dodge Charger drivers. If you own or regularly drive one of these vehicles, please respond to jwahl@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Friday, October 31st.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• Update on stalling Charger....
    I changed the air filter, put premium gas and fuel injection cleaner and she's running smoothly again.
    During my investigation, I found out that my friend who has a 2006 Jeep Liberty had the same issue and was fooled into spending $300 by the same dealership... in the end and after she had taken her Jeep up there 5 times in 2 weeks, it ended up being bad gas...
    They tried the same gig with me, but I decided to research it instead of just taking their money hungry advise from the beginning.... I am soooooo glad I decided to join the forums and investigate myself and I STILL LOVE MY CHARGER! ;)
  • That is good news, rainysunshine...

There has not been another car to come out since April 05' that I would consider buying over my Charger. Best looking sedan on the market, hands down !!

By the way, check out these pics of the Navigation system I installed into my dash.
    It is a Garmin Nuvi 660, and fit in quite nicely...

http://www.carspace.com/discgolfer99
  • I understand i need to replace the spark plugs, but is there anything that i should be concern about before doing this? is there a recommended brand/make of spark plugs? is there anything else i should know before starting this task?
  • dbo1dbo1 Posts: 1
    I TOOK MY 06 CHARGE 3.5 INTO MY LOCAL DODGE. THEY ADVISED ME THAT MY THERMOSTAT WAS BAD. THEY REPLACED IT FOR $350. THIS WAS MARCH OF 07. SINCE THEN MY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT HAS CAME ON 4 DIFFERENT TIMES. ON THE 4TH TIME THEY ADVISED ME THAT BECUZ I HAVE SIZE 22 INCH TIRES IS WHY MY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT KEEPS COMING ON. I HAVE ASKED SEVERAL DIFFERENT PEOPLE INCLUDED ANOTHER CHRYSLER SERVICE TECH AND NO ONE CAN UNDERSTAND THERE REASONING. CAN ANYONE GIVE ME SOME ADVISE? THANKS!
  • I have an 06 Charger and I've had different people say the Charger can't handle the 22s. I have had 22s on it for two years. I did take them off for a very long road trip in snow. The economy will predict when I can get some new tires. Of course there is a different feel but it seems to me its easier for the mechanic to to say "oh its the big tires" than to find out whats really wrong.
    I too have experienced the car stalling, it did start up right away though.
    The only other probelm is its a summer car. When the temp drops below 32 it won't go in reverse until the engine warms up. I got screwed on this deal because the gear shift had broken before when it was jerked and then glued. I had to replace the whole thing.
    But it is funny when people think I'm a state trooper while on the highway or they are waving at me.
    I love driving it.
  • autotech20autotech20 Posts: 1
    The spark plugs that came factory on this car should have never been installed in this engine. The factory plugs are copper tip rather than iridium or platinum tip that is normally used in high voltage ignition systems. I would suggest using the double platinum (champion #7570), as to replacing the plug wires and coil boots, you might get by without having to do so. I would at least use dielectric grease on the plug ends of the boots and wires. This upgrade should get more mileage before your next tune-up also.
  • brianj3brianj3 Posts: 1
    having the same problem with my 06 3.5L....Dealership said its the injectors in the engine that's making the noise....Going to cost a little over $700.
  • i cant find my thermostat and cooling tempreture sensore can any one help me :mad:
  • has any one added a brola exhaust system to the charger sxt and what were you results
    :)
  • revjim64revjim64 Posts: 77
    edited November 2013
    Did you find out what the ticking noise was?
    I recently purchased a pre owned 2010 Charger SXT with the 3.5 HO V-6 and it seams to have a loud valve tap. I researched on MSN autos and the 2010 (3.5) had reports of defective Valve shafts.
    My car was "Dodge Certified" and the salesman informed me that anything in the engine is covered by the 7 year, 80,000 mile power train warranty.

Has anyone had their valve shaft replaced under powertrain warranty?
    And how loud does the valve tap have to get before the dealer will service it???
  • smartin104smartin104 Posts: 16

i know that getting the dealer warranties are basically a scam but considering a wheel/tire package but two questions:

anyone have any details on any available wheel and tire warranty packages, specifically what they cover and average cost?

can you negotiation the price of dealer warranties?

2»