Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda5 Doors & Locks

Comments

• coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    OK all, let's do our part like during the first recall, everyone who owns an M5 give a call to Mazda whether or not it has happened to you. Let's not wait until somebody else is really in trouble. Mazda has listened once and has provided an adequate response to most of us. If it's the latch, they can redesign and ship to dealers, like the last time. The more calls we get out there, the faster the issue can be solved... At this pace it would be Summer before we hear about the solution... and everybody would have forgotten about it :)

....and my mother told me... "Rule of thumb: Don't buy the very first model, wait until all issues come out and are solved" :surprise:
  • flyonthewallflyonthewall Member Posts: 41
    "everyone who owns an M5 give a call to Mazda whether or not it has happened to you." So, you're suggesting I call Mazda and tell them that I drive my 5 in cold (down to 6F) and wet conditions (snow, rain, and even car washes when subfreezing) and have never had a problem with the door latches?
    Yes indeed, it may sound silly but the point is that even if M5 is "purely" Mazda, the latches may have been manufactured by different suppliers. Mazda Call Centers collect information and then do research based on trends. If there is substantial information Mazda can pinpoint which lots are the ones with the defect and focus the scope for the fix. It hasn't happened to me either but hey, I'm not looking forward to be on that situation.

Anyway, my 2 cents worth. I just find that complaining on this forum may not be as powerful as talking to Mazda directly...
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    let's do our part like during the first recall, everyone who owns an M5 give a call to Mazda whether or not it has happened to you.

nothing good comes from a lie...and your suggestion to have everyone call up and lie about a problem will not help resolve a real problem. It's very important that the manufacturer becomes aware of a real problems and to determine what vehicles are involved. This way they can come up with the proper fix... Your plan is to send mazda on a wild goose chase. This could cause delays with any possible fix.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    let's do our part like during the first recall, everyone who owns an M5 give a call to Mazda whether or not it has happened to you.

nothing good comes from a lie...and your suggestion to have everyone call up and lie about a problem will not help resolve a real problem. It's very important that the manufacturer becomes aware of a real problems and to determine what vehicles are involved. This way they can come up with the proper fix... Your plan is to send mazda on a wild goose chase. This could cause delays with any possible fix.
    Hello audia8q,

Lie? No, no, no! That's not the way I do things, sorry it got misinterpreted. Here we go again:

What I meant to say is call Mazda and either you tell them that it happened to you (if it did) OR that you are aware of the situation and would like to know if they have identified the problem. As any other professional call center they keep track of calls, other vital statistics. Based on those call center Managers have daily and weekly reports which then are discussed and prioritized. If the report says: "300 people called concerned about the M5 sliding doors (whether it has happened or not)" then it becomes an important issue and is prioritized. If the report says: "4 people have problems with the sliding doors"... then good luck!

Remember what happened to the recall?? When I called the Mazda Rep told that they had just come out of a meeting discussing this important issue as the M5 number of calls was taking most of their time. Guess what was the hottest issue to escalate to manufacturing?

Anyway, possibly I'm expecting that Mazda has state-of-the-art call centers, possibly I'm just plain wrong...

I work on a completely different area but the same principle applies.
  • dragonbugdragonbug Member Posts: 2
    Hi folks,
    I'm in contact with a german Mazda5 forum. They have the same problems with the sliding doors. Here in New Mexico i didn't recognized this problem with my Mazda5 sport. The humidity is to low. The germans explain, mazda would use the wrong grease for the locks.
    Mostly they have the problem after a car wash during frosty weather. A sealing of the locking system was recommended
    by the mazda dealer.
    Bye :)
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    With all of these door latch problems, I wonder why they don't just use regular doors and put some rubber stripping along the edge to prevent dinging another car. Plus, with kids in the back seat you should be using the child locks on the rear doors anyways, so the kids back there don't even have the opportunity to open the door from the inside. A normal door has much less chance of having anything go wrong.
  • isda65isda65 Member Posts: 74
    Just because a component is defective does not necessarily mean the whole "sliding door" concept was a bad idea. Sliding doors make sense to a lot of people including me. The issue here is about product/part quality.
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    I agree, as sliding side doors have been on the sides of min-vans for MANY years...and full sized vans even longer.
  • flyonthewallflyonthewall Member Posts: 41
    "Yes indeed... Mazda Call Centers collect information and then do research based on trends. If there is substantial information Mazda can pinpoint which lots are the ones with the defect and focus the scope for the fix..."

Thanks for the follow up post. I now understand your point and hadn't considered it that way before.

I wonder if email to Mazda would be more efficient but just as effective?
  • drspongklongdrspongklong Member Posts: 48
    I'm from New Orleans and never had that problem. It seems like this problem occurs only in cold regions and happens after a car wash. Could the reason be that after a car wash, there are water left somewhere around the locking mechanism and when it becomes ice it causes this "can't open door" when it's closed and "can't close doors when it's open?
    Just because sliding doors have been around for years doesn't mean their better. They're a carryover from regular vans. I just don't see any big advantage to them. Maybe now we're leaving the minivan & SUV stage to enter true multipurpose vehicles. I just think regular doors are simpler to engineer and there's less to go wrong.
  • hahahaha Member Posts: 2
    Hello, Folks

My wife has a M5 and she had experienced door latch problem three times already. On January 16, my wife had problem with M5 door again. My wife called Mazda road service then Mazda service took her car to dealer service center to get new upgrade door latch on her car(Folks, I called Mazda North America tech line and found that they know this problem already and have special upgrade kit for those people who called them directly). Today,I got a call from Mazda service center manager and he said my M5 is ready to pick up. I going to pick it up tomorrow and I hope I do not see anymore sliding door problem on my M5.

from PA.
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    I think i benefit of the sliding doors is they provide a larger opening, without the need for the space for a hinged door of that size would need to open. Imagine opening that big of a hinged door in a tight mall parking slot.
    And my point (that I didn't seem to make very clear when I posted the above note) is that there have been sliding doors for a very long time, and we have'nt seen the kind of problems with them that apparently is becoming evident with the M5. Perhaps it is just a design flaw on this particular latch. I'm sure Mazda will step up and provide a fix promptly.

BTW, I had the oportunity to drive one yesterday...very nice package indeed... If I was in the proper demographics, I would definately consider one. But...Empty nester here.....don't need 6 seats, and prefer just a little bigger vehicle...bought a Highlander just about a year ago.
  • thorwmthorwm Member Posts: 6
    When you pick up the car, would you please provide to us all of the invoice details? (part number, description, etc.)

I'm sure this would help the dealers who have not been informed of the sliding door problem and may help those of us who have experienced it get quicker resolution.

Thanks!

Thor from OH
    My last sliding door comment. My neighbor has a Mazda MPV with sliding doors and I have a Freestyle with regular doors. I don't see much difference with getting in/out of either row 2 or 3 with either vehicle. Maybe slightly more convenient with the sliding door, but then on Odyssey, Sienna, Mazda5, etc forums you always see some problem with the sliding doors, although mostly with the power assisted doors. Personally, I'd rather just have regular door for the ease. Mivians with manual sliding doors are pretty heavy to close from the inside & outside, and the automatic kinds seem prone for problems in the future and are really slow to close. Again, just from my experience being a passenger in minivans. Plus are there any door measurements that really show how much larger the opening is?
  • hahahaha Member Posts: 2
    Dear thorwm

I picked up my M5 today and here is what is on my invoice.

Problem cause: 9K
    Replace left and right sliding door latches
    7474WRM94 1.4 hours
    1 C235-72-380D Controller(R) Remote
    1 C235-72-380D Controller(L) Remote

Well, freezing rain is comming to PA next week,wish me luck!
  • thorwmthorwm Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. Hopefully all will go well when the freezing rain comes!
  • mazda5_canmazda5_can Member Posts: 6
    I just bought M5 and will be picking up in couple of weeks, and wanted to thank you all for really useful info specialy part#.
  • broncos730broncos730 Member Posts: 12
    I live in Colorado Springs and have been reading with interest all the issues folks are having with their door latches. Hasn't been an issue for me but of course I washed the car yesterday and today my wife calls me and tells me the door won't latch! First thing I thought of was Edmunds forum and told her to hit it with a hair dryer. That worked and she is on her way but I can vouch: it happens and it is related to water in the mechanism.

I called our dealership and spoke to the service manager. Of course mazda hasn't released any information to him and he has heard nothing about it. Surprise! I am annoyed at the fact that we seem to be doing the Q&A for mazda and have been charged ~20k for the honor. The service manager is a good guy with good customer orientation so he is trying to dig up some information from mazda. Will let you know what he says!

Other than that love the car. Filled it up yesterday for 23 dollars. haha.
  • jaman_cajaman_ca Member Posts: 13
    Everybody always says that a first year model will have issues. I'm sure you knew that when you bought the car.
  • broncos730broncos730 Member Posts: 12
    well there are issues and then there are doors that don't close. I'm sure you knew they would when you bought the car.
  • bob_welshbob_welsh Member Posts: 16
    Had my latches greased and lubricated at dealer as per mazda bulletin 01/06. I went to the high pressure car wash yesterday. Last night it dropped to -17C (1F). This morning the sliding door handle was frozen. A few pulls and the handle budged and I heard the release of the latch. Pulling the door where the latch is, I was able to open it. I then came to close the door and what do you know 1st shot it closed fine. Tried the passenger side and got same result. I was the one who wasn't able to open the doors all weekend once.

Speaking with Mark at Mazda Canada yesterday. He told me that Japan engineers are working on a permanent fix and that maybe in mid February we would have something.

Bob
  • rlyonrlyon Member Posts: 57
    To be fair, this only affects those in sub zero or really cold temps. And the fix is the type of lubricant they use, so I don't consider this to be a big deal really, more of an unfortunate annoyance.
  • kev604kev604 Member Posts: 30
    Is the fix going to be a replacement of the old latch with a new one?
    And is the fix only for owners who complain about the problem, for owners in certain parts of the country, or a full recall?
    I live in Vancouver Canada and its generally mild here especially this year can't see this as a problem for owners here but if there is a fix in place I probably would want a new latch as well. :shades:
  • dufosdufos Member Posts: 16
    I don't own a M5 but what I do in the fall is lub all the rubber seals around my doors with vasoline to hopefully keep any moisture forming and freezing,in the spring I just wipe them clean. I also spray a lub into the door locks and on the latches.
  • partsguy1partsguy1 Member Posts: 19
    My friend works at a dealership and he says the locking mechanism is faulty. The whole unit needs to be replaced. The factory has already made a running change to the revised unit.

Should not be a factor for anyone waiting for their M5, like me. Ordered beginning of December.......
  • stargazingstargazing Member Posts: 1
    My Mazda 5 (purchased a week ago) developed a clicking sound when I sidestep from the brake to the gas. It's very pronounced if I remove my foot quickly from the brake pedal. It has a kind of cheap sound quality. I'm hoping that this isn't going to be an ongoing problem. I've heard that some owners of other makes (different car manufacturer) have ongoing problems once this clicking sound develops. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • mactavish1mactavish1 Member Posts: 19
    Aarrrggghhh

Had this same problem start yesterday, took 10 mins to open a door, then 15 to close it. It would then not open again !

I was straight onto the dealer and Mazda canada, I then went to the dealers today. They were faxed a tip sheet which recommends the replacing of the lube. It'll take 4 hours as they door panels have to come off.

This is annoying and I'm certainly reporting this to the car press should they not fix it. So much for the North American car of the year if it doesn't work in -5 or below !
    That's why in my opinion, while sliding door have some convenience value, I'd still rather have big swinging doors like on my Freestyle. If you're worried about kids bumping other cars, just put the rubber strips on the edges. And automatic sliding doors are really slow. Plus in the long run, the potential problems that come with sliding doors (especially with power sliding doors) is huge compared to a hinged door. I'm sure most others will be of a different opinion, but there are some conveniences on cars I don't want due to maintenance & long term reliability issues.
  • c3poc3po Member Posts: 26
    Had this sliding door problem twice in the last 2 month whereby it did not close. Tried 10 minutes and then it eventually closed. From what I am reading in this forum, it is a problem especially in cold climate. I called Mazda Canada, they said they never heard of such problem. I find that very hard to believe. Called my dealer, they never encounter this problem and they told me next time it happens, is to bring the vehicle in. I think Mazda should start reading this forum.
  • jeff39jeff39 Member Posts: 10
    I've read a lot of posts about door problems but they seem to talk about the sliding doors only. On two mornings this week, with the temperature just a few degrees below freezing, none of our doors would unlock, even the hatch. The lights flashed. There was the regular thunking sound but everything remained locked, as evidenced by looking inside to see that the door switches had not moved! Using the key in the driver's door produced the same results.
    Each evening, after returning from work, the locks worked normally again. This is not a problem with sticking weatherstripping. Has anyone had similar troubles? Any solutions?
  • twotwoandtwotwotwoandtwo Member Posts: 5
    Just called Transport Canada to report the latching problem of the sliding doors. They simply suggested me not to use the High-pressure drive through. I think more Mazda 5 owner need to call them to make them aware of the serious nature of the problem.

Here is their link:
    http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/tp/tp2822/page4_e.htm or 1-800-333-0510

Have your VIN number ready when you call.
  • rjdemonrjdemon Member Posts: 4
    Have had the exact same problem a couple times recently. However, only seemed to happen when previous evening temps were say around 0C, then dropped to -10C or so by morning. When sun warmed things up a few degrees, they opened fine. Hasn't been a problem on days with highs around -5C, just a couple really cold mornings. Just like you said, heard the motor trying to unlock the doors, but don't see the switches moving inside. Very frustrating - fortunately it's been an unseasonably mild winter here so far... :surprise:
  • jeff39jeff39 Member Posts: 10
    I spoke to the service manager in our area (Southeastern Ontario) and he had not heard from anyone else with the same problem. The trouble is that by the time the car gets to the dealer, the problem is gone. It seems odd that the servo in all five doors should fail to operate its latch all at the same time.
  • cabbannecabbanne Member Posts: 1
    I spoke to my dealer about the sliding door issue. I own a GT (I'm in canada) with the auto closing mechanism. The issue is related to sudden changes in temperature with high humidity. Condensation in the latch mechanism freezes and it is impossible to open the door. I'm lucky enough that my service technician also owns an M5. His M5 is basically a test vehicle at this point. He has the GS model and they replaced the latches on his doors with the latches that come with the GT (the latches are different because of the auto close) and he hasn't had the problem since. On my 5 I can always get the doors open. It's closing them that can be problematic. He told me Mazda is fully aware of the problem and are looking for a solution. If you're lucky enough to have a good dealer like I do, I find that the best way to get the problem solved is through them. If you have a crappy dealer and aren't satisfied with them, you can always go to another dealer that will give you better service.
  • c3poc3po Member Posts: 26
    Are you saying with the current M5 GS model, there is a problem opening the sliding door and the GT model has a problem closing the sliding door. I think the GT model is worst whereby you may have problems closing. At least with the GS model you can gain access from the front or the rear to get to the middle row. Anyways Mazda better get their act together soon.
  • bob_welshbob_welsh Member Posts: 16
    I had the problem too. When I would go to the high pressure car wash. The next day none of the doors would open. Just have your dealer grease the latches with white grease on memo of Mazda Canada dated in January. It worked great for me. Look up my previous posts.

Bob
  • vinnyfastvinnyfast Member Posts: 33
    Bob, I'm having the exact same problem, and have had it ever since I brought it in for the recall. Before the recall, I never had this problem. This leads me to believe that something in the programming when they flashed the computer is wrong. I've gone back to the dealer several times and they still haven't fixed it. I even asked that they delete the update, which they said they did, but then later said they didn't. I'm also having problems with one of my sliding doors not opening os easy. I have to pull on the handle 4 or 5 times, like it's stuck. I brought it in for this as well, and they didn't fix that either!! I had enough of this dealer's BS and am now looking at another dealer. I can say right now that this has been the worse new car experience ever!!! I haven't heard the ned of it from my wife!! If these problems don't get resolved soon, I will sell the car, take the loss, and make it my life long goal of NEVER buying, endorsing, or recommending another mazda product ever again!!!!!

Pissed OFF!!!!

Vince :mad:
  • velveteendad1velveteendad1 Member Posts: 36
    Hi all:
    We just bought a new Mazda5, and love it. The folding key's really cool, but we have a seemingly simple question - we can't figure out how to get the key onto a keychain! It's so hard to get a loop through the holes at the top of the key. We'd appreciate any suggestions!

Thank you.
  • nsorianonsoriano Member Posts: 17
    LOL! That totally pissed had me pissed off the whole first week of ownership! I just went to walmart and bought me one of those thin elasticy hair bands (smaller the better) and poked it through the small opening in the key then i just attached it to my old keychain.
  • joec6joec6 Member Posts: 1
    I went back to the dealer and they gave me a key ring (about 1 cm in diameter) which fits through the two holes easily.
  • smariasmaria Member Posts: 279
    One of my 2 key remotes stopped working last month. I took it to the local dealer, and they got a new key for me. But, when they tried to program the new key, the car wouldn't accept it. Something about the "reprogramming mode of the car not working". So, now my dealer thinks it's something wrong with the car, not the key, and they've ordered a new part for the car. But, one of my 2 original remotes still works fine, so I'm a bit confused.

Anyone else have any problems like this and know what might be wrong?
  • batmickbatmick Member Posts: 17
    Funny, I had just gone online to post a similar question.
    One of our remotes quit working altogether and the other is only working intermittently. I changed the batteries in both but that wasn't it. Don't really see why it would only affect one remote but my guess is the receiver in the car is on the frizz.
    Does anybody know if there is an antenna that might have come loose (and where is it?)? I have had a similar problem with my laptop's wireless and there the antenna connector had come off the wireless card.
    :confuse:
  • mactavish1mactavish1 Member Posts: 19
    Strange you mention that, ours sometimes doesn't work and our neighbours have had the same problem. they seem to think its the car as the key stopped working occasionally at the same time.
  • smariasmaria Member Posts: 279
    I brought it back to my dealer and they (1) replaced the receiver in the car, and (2) reprogrammed the two keys I have. Both keys are now working perfectly. It was all covered by the warranty, so I didn't have to pay anything :)
  • batmickbatmick Member Posts: 17
    Good news! Our 5 is coming up for the 7500 mile service so I'll have them take care of the remote problem then.
    Hope they will be as quick and uncomplicated as your dealer.
  • rrratinarrratina Member Posts: 27
    Part of my key broke off-the metal part that fits onto a key ring. Does anyone know if the key (which costs over $300.00 I'm told) is covered under warranty? I refuse to pay the cost of a brand new key-it seems to me it might have been put together cheaply-why would it break so easily and it is only one yr old.
    Thanks.
  • mazda5lovermazda5lover Member Posts: 29
    wow.. you have a Mazda 5, and I do too.. and the extra key, which I just recently bought from my preferred Mazda dealer " :blush: only" cost $80... well "only" because it's not $300
This discussion has been closed.