Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    tamyratamyra Member Posts: 1
    There is a recall for this issue. It was on Yahoo News today 12-27-04.
  • Options
    bear925bear925 Member Posts: 7
    Saw your Tribute note- I have a 2002 LX 4wd- had same shudder problems in transmission; took in to Atlanta dealer 3 times- they said couldn't find problem- last week, trans went out completely- wouldn't go forward or reverse. Had it towed in, they want me to pay $3500 to repair a 2 year old car! This is after I paid them $400 to fix 1 door lock in Oct.'04; and had the car in for trans problems- which they didn't fix. At 1 year old- had whole front rack cv-sterring replaced- causing severe tire wobble. I can't wait to get rid of this junk; but looks like I may have to seek legal advise first. This "looked" like the perfect SUV, and could be if it was reliable. I too got 19-24 mpg first year or so, then gas mileage went to 12-16mpg. Will buy a Honda CR-V and forget the problems. Good luck to you! Bear
  • Options
    I've got a 2002 Tribute- it cost me over $400 to have right rear door lock repaired! Had same issue as you. Also- my whole transmission went out last week- had to have it towed in to dealer; they want $3500 to fix it- on a 2 year old car!!!! I'm going to a Honda CR-V as soon as I can get this issue resolved. Hope I don't have to seek legal advise, but looks like it. Good luck!! Bear
  • Options
    I just had same problem- cost me $400 for dealer to fix! And last week, my 2002 Tribute lost it's transmission- dealer wants $3500 to fix- on a 2 year old car!!! Good luck- I'm getting a CR-V Honda! Bear
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    CRV = Combustable Recreational Vehicle.. may want to look again around the net. CRV has its share of recalls and issues..
  • Options
    tmcgraintmcgrain Member Posts: 3
    On SUNDAY, Dec. 26th, we're driving from Philadelphia to Worcester, Massachusetts and as we're driving over the CHARTER OAK BRIDGE in East Hartford, Connecticut, on 5-lane Highway I-84 our 2002 Ford ESCAPE just QUIT. We were driving approx. 70 mph in the passing lane. No power - no power steering but enought momentum to gradually work our way over to the break-down lane. This Escape had it's 3-year warranty expire on Dec. 10th at only 30,000 miles. The vehicle had to be towed to Holden, Massachusetts to the Sunnyside Ford Motor Company. The service manager said the problem was the on-board computer that controls the fuel injectors. He said he had never observed this problem before but agreed it could be extremely dangerous because it shuts down the engine completely. We are currently waiting for Ford Motor to ship the computer component via one of their vendors. Not sure when we will get our vehicle back or even if we want it back. As an addendum, back in October we brought the vehicle in for service and complained of a surge in the engine at low speeds. Something is definitely wrong with this vehicle but I'm not sure what's going on. If you have any suggestions, we would appreciate very much hearing from you. Thank you for your consideration. Tom McGrain in Worcester, Massachusetts.
  • Options
    zezzez Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem. You can use the door lock to open the door. It seems as though when you pull the interior door handle it swings and grasps on to the top portion of the lock then pops the door. The piece that it grasps most likely broke off and is in your door somewhere so beware when removing the door assembly it may fall out.
  • Options
    escapenutescapenut Member Posts: 117
    My 2001 V6 XLT 2WD continues to perform almost flawlessly, I'm happy to report so far. I just changed out the transmiison fluid from Mercon V

to complete MOBIL 1 synthetic. Seems to shift

the automatic better. For those with tranny problems, the Escape uses a re-vamped and hopefully strengthened version of the Mazda CD4E

auto-tranny. Apparently the early Mazda versions weren't dependable, self-destructing at 70-80K miles. According to what I've been able to find out, Ford made it stronger for use in the Escape.

However, this does not compensate those of you who've had trans. failure early-on within 15-50K

miles. At present I've got 62K miles with no apparent problems. However, I've convinced myself that pro-active service is better breakdown, so, I've doing a complete trans-flush

every 20K miles which for me is about every 15 months. But I'm not deluding myself into thinking that trans. failure cannot happen to me.,

it can, but at least I can attempt to mitigate potential problems.

The rough idle can be any combinination of things, and since I'm not a mechanic I don't want to mislead anyone. Two things that were done early on were :

- Cruise Control cable replaced ~15K miles.

- Idle Air Contol Motor or module replaced ~25K

miles. This was changed out d/t engine dying

at start-up or at low-idle. This is an endemic

problem with early V6 Escapes and a new IAC is

probably needed every 30-50K or until Ford gets

it right. The problem may also be coil-packs as

previously posted which are a problem as well.

As yet, none of mine have cratered. Both IAC

and coil-packs can be bought at parts-centers

as opposed to the dealer which will be 30-50%

higher at least.

- Of course the infamous PCM-reflash was done on

mine too. Oddly enough since then my mileage

has dropped from 19 city to 17 city since the

re-flash, but I can't convince the Ford dealer

that it's related, which it may not be.
  • Options
    snowmansnowman Member Posts: 540
    Correct me if I am wrong but Escape/Trib use Mercon, NOT Mercon V.

Mercon V is semi syn. Escape/Trib trannies are not compatible with syn. oil.
  • Options
    kibbleskibbles Member Posts: 8
    In just reading some of the messages posted, I am convinced that I should not give the another Tribute a second chance. You may think I am wrong but after waiting as long as we have to purchase a new vehicle and to have had trouble since the beginning of the purchase I see no other solution. I have a car that is nearly 15 years old that has over 327,000 miles on it. No I am not kidding. It has the original computer, original transmission and several other original components. This car was driven over 500 miles per week for about 8 years. Up until Sept. 2003 when we purchased the Tribute. The car is a 1990 Ford Festiva!! Now I know you are all laughing and saying how can that be. It be!! The car is still running today and being driven about 250 miles per week.

Anyway, my initial reaction to buying a new car was WOW! I have wanted an SUV for quite a while. This is going to be great, NOT!! My husband went to pick up our new tags about 3 weeks after we bought the car and when he got to the dealer he shut the car off, got out and locked the doors, however, when he stopped to listen he realized that the car was still running without the key in the ignition!! Thank goodness he was already at the dealer because he couldn't unlock the door. He went in and told the dealership and they couldn't believe it either. This was the first incident. I believe they had the car a few days at this point, it's a blur. Then about 2 - 3 weeks later we started having an intermittent starting problem. Two or three trips back to the dealeship later, the problem seemed to be fixed but low and behold it started happening more frequently again around Sept 2004.

Along with this continued problem, we started experiencing a stalling problem when the car was put in reverse. The dealership has replaced the throttle position sensor, the mass air flow meter and also the tranmission. This SUV has about 20k miles. Also, I had some rust on the rear liftgate handle so that has been re-painted. The car was in the shop about 3 weeks. The day after getting it back from the shop, we had the intermittent starting problem again. Within less than 2 weeks of getting the car back from having the transmission replaced, the car stalled when put into reverse. This is a lot of crap!!! LEMON!!! All response are welcome.
  • Options
    dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    Wow, it does sound like you have a Lemon, and you should look closely at your state's lemon laws and determine if you have a case.

I am sorry you had to experience this, and I had a somewhat similar situation with a Volkswagen about four years ago.

How has the dealer treated you? Volkswagen was awful and would not even give me a loaner car for the warranty work on my new car! I decided, based on the dealers treatment, that I would not buy a Volkswagen until they got their act together.

I would have to say that the issues that you have experienced are not typical of a new Tribute purchase. I would give the dealer the opportunity to make things right (great deal on a new car perhaps), or take my business elsewhere.

Bottomline, is that this can happen to any car out there, it is how the dealer handles these issues when they come up, and whether or not they take care of it. I wish you the best of luck! If you do decide to look elsewhere, I recommend Nissan or Subaru..
  • Options
    jhouse1jhouse1 Member Posts: 7
    I see there are other people out there that have piles of problems like me. I to have had engine replaced, coolant reservoir replaced, rear hatch door gas shocks replaced twice now, headlights replaced, windshield recocked, rear wiper motor replaced, rear hatch re-aligned, aluminium rims re cut do to clear coat shipping off, tie rods replaced, drive shaft replaced.....I think that's it. Mine is a 2002 Tribute. It is the first and the last Ford built vehicle I will ever buy and I spread the word as much as possible around town. It's stupid how they were even allowed to build this vehicle in the first place. Thank god I bought it through Mazda so that I have up to 7 years of extended waranty.
  • Options
    takumitakumi Member Posts: 1
    in an automatic '04 tribute v6, does anyone know how to change tachometer settings so that it switches gears at a lower rpm?
  • Options
    eric10eric10 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2002 Mazda Tribute 4x4 LX 4-cyl. engine with 5 speed trans. For about the past three thousand miles, we have heard (off and on) a noise coming from engine compartment. To give an analogy, it sounds like the teeth of a saw blade when it first hits wood.

I first thought about flywheel, etc., but we took it to dealer, and as usual, they could not hear the noise. If you are inside the car with radio on, you cannot hear it.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and related fix. Thanks.
  • Options
    metrowmnmetrowmn Member Posts: 10
    Wow! I feel for you!!! I would not be so nice! As is, I wrote 3 letters to Ford (and got nowhere with them). The shot tie rods (at 36.5k miles) was the last straw! Finally traded in my lemon for a Santa Fe and have been extremely happy ever since! At the very least, the warranty is better on the Santa Fe. We'll see how well it holds up.
  • Options
    Yeah....

I had to go to dealer today. I went to start the damn thing and I could hear a wistling noise so I opened the hood and there was some kind of oil shot all over the inside of the engine compartment. I think the power steering hose blew off but what else is new! Dealer is looking into making a deal with us to trade in the crappy one for a new one....will see what they say. I don't count on anything from the dealership. The miss's is hopping.
  • Options
    turksteritisturksteritis Member Posts: 95
    Been der dun dat. Power steering hoses exploding is very common in Tribs & Escapes in very cold weather.
  • Options
    baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Power steering hoses exploding is very common in Tribs & Escapes in very cold weather.

Really? I've been actively reading and posting in Escape forums for three years now and this is the first I've heard of a power steering hose "exploding". Maybe the second one if you posted it before and I just missed it.
  • Options
    cj1998cj1998 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 03 Tribute with 26k. First at 21k, the radio went out, 21,5k the cd player and changer went out, and now, at 26k my parking brake is DEAD. This happened this morning and I am afraid to even drive it for fear of other brake problems. Has anyone had problems with their parking brake? Forgot to mention, the heated seat on the passenger side is ALWAYS on.. and most of the time, no one is sitting in the seat!
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice and your sympathy. Sorry that you had similar troubles with your Volkswagon. It's a shame for everyone that has problems with a vehicle, but it is comforting to know that others have and are experiencing these type of problems.

FYI, we have already begun the process regarding the lemon law. A letter has already been sent to Mazda. We are now waiting for their response. I was told this could take up to 18 months to resolve completely. Hope it doesn't.

Actually the dealer is nice enough, they just don't know how to fix our problems. They always have a loaner car for us and are honest when it comes to how long we should expect to be without our car. I think their inability to fix the problems is reason enough to take my business to some other manufacturer. I guess if they come back with an offer I can't refuse, then I'll consider staying with them, but some of the other postings in this message board scare me about future trouble(s) I may encounter. The dealer has never even suggested that we might be able to trade it in. I ask them what else can I do but bring it in to be checked over again and again.

I know that this can happen to with car, so I am not holding out for a great experience with another make/model. I am going in with a bad attitude/outlook and expecting the worse. This way when it turns out OK, I'll be a satisfied consumer. Ha Ha.

Seriously, thanks for the positive input. I appreciate it.

Kibbles
  • Options
    j647j647 Member Posts: 4
    7 years warranty? Has the calender gone the way of the dollar?
  • Options
    Sounds like you have had some troubles too. Sorry. :( I know of someone in my town that has also had their engine replaced in their 2002 Tribute. She is not happy about it either. It was a replacement car after her Escape was totaled in an accident. It's my biggest fear that I'll be driving down the highway at 65 MPH and have the engine die. Every little sound I hear makes me think what's next.

Did your problems start early on? About how many miles?

Kibbles
  • Options
    Hi,

Yeah we did. Two weeks after I bought the vehicle, we had taken a trip to Vancouver and back, and about a week later I noticed the oil light flickering on and off. That was when they had to replace the engine because they say the oil pump wasn't working at normal operating temperature. After that it's all downhill. Headlights, Coolant reservoir, Power Steering Pump and hoses twice now, rear hatch lift's 3 times now, Rims re-cut and polished due to chipping of clear coat. tie rods, rear wiper motor, sunroof button box due to button not working. Brake pads replaced very early. If you need to replace your brake pads and your sick of the brake dust all over your rims get ceramic pads. They work like a charm.

3 days ago was the last time the power steering hose's broke. It's was -34 C outside with windchill it was -48 C. I wasn't the only one that this has happened to. There was 7 Tribute's at my Mazda Dealer. All with the same problem. There was also a pile of Protege's.

The dealer tells us that it's the cold that brakes the hoses. I said to them that they shouldn't be selling these vehicle's here when the temperature will always get down this low in the Canadian Prairies. They had no response. What else is new.

So all of the above has happened in the span of 2 years. I hope that answers your question
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    sorry to hear about your troubles. if you didn't rant at the service department, maybe they can get ford to provide an 'after warranty adjustment'. they kind of split the cost of the repair with you, but it is discressionary.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    trib2001trib2001 Member Posts: 1
    I have a similar problem with my 2001 LX 4x4. I live in Minnesota and it only happens when the temperature is near 90 deg. and high humidity. If the car is hot and I park for a few minutes, the ignition will not even crank, as if the security lock is not responding. I usually open the hood, and let the car sit for 10-20 minutes, and then it will start. After experiencing this 6+ times, I think it's related to engine heat that is not dispursed when the car is off.

The dealer has not recreated the problem, because it occurs only when it is very hot and I've driven for an hour or so. Whenever it happens, I call the service dept. and insist they log my call in my car's service records.

I can't offer anything else, but to let you know that even though I've had some problems with my Tribute, I have decided to keep it when the lease is up.
  • Options
    I think the biggest part of your problem is your incompetent dealer. Instead of trying to regenerate the issue, they should start measuring-testing sensors.

This looks like engine coolant temperature sensor to me. It is well known problem for many make and model.
  • Options
    I thought the same thing because my owner's manual said Mercon, and the actual dipstick in my '01 XLT V6 indicated Mercon V. If this is not correct, then I've been running the wrong stuff for last two (2)flushes. The shop that changed the fluid said they go by whatever is specified on the dipstick. I trust(ed) their judgement.

I suppose if it was wrong the trannie may have cratered by now, but maybe not. In any case, the

Mobil 1 seems to be doing the job o.k.

FYI to All: At 63K my brake booster went nuts, hissing and groaning. Be aware that this may happen with advancing mileage to any car. The diaphragm went bad inside the housing. The dealer wants $172.59, however, my mechanic-buddy will pick one up for $119.00 and I'll install it with him. Rebuilt ones are available from a parts-house for ~$90.00, but there is a core charge of $40.00 until the bad one is brought-in.

It started with a barely audible hiss that my daughter heard, but I didn't (a function of aging). It progressively got worse over a week period, until it was diagnosed by my friend as the problem. If the work was done at a dealer then it would cost ~$260.00+ for parts and labor.
  • Options
    I am sorry to tell you but your dipstick is wrong. Ford used wrong dipstick on some of its models. It is well documented issue over the internet.

I've known this transmission from my 97 Mazda 626. Also dipsticks in my 05 Escape and Trib says Mercon. And transmission was not updated since 2001 in terms of oil.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Ford used wrong dipstick on some of its models...

I can't seem to find a reference to that. Do you have a link?

tidester, host
  • Options
    mphxazmphxaz Member Posts: 27
    Hi folks! I'm trying to find anyone with a 2005 Tribute with the Auto Dimming Mirror with HomeLink. I need to know if the light on the mirror changes color when you press one of the HomeLink buttons or at least blinks when you press the buttons for use or programming. I just got my Trib in December and ordered the Auto Dimming Mirror with Homelink as part of the purchase agreement. I'm now on the second mirror from the dealer and can't even get past the main programming step of holding the two outside buttons for 20 seconds. Nothing happens. Homelink support says that the green light on the mirror should blink red when it's ready to program. Dealer said today after getting the second mirror that the light got "Brighter" when they held to two outside buttons. Got home and can't get either response. If anyone has this option and can tell me what happens when they program the HomeLink buttons it would be sincerely appreciated. At least then I can tell the dealer what it's supposed to do. I think that they have messed up the wiring somehow. Compass and temp display works fine, just no response from the HomeLink side of things. Thanks!
  • Options
    Sorry, my links are not compatible with Edmunds usage policy. I have tried to help by posting links before but every time my posts were removed.

However, if you focus on Taurus and Escape forums over the internet, you can find it.

Basically there were two types of dipstick issues; one is shorter dipstick (on taurus)which makes you believe your engine has less oil than what it should have...

The second one is dipstick shows wrong oil type (Taurus and early Escapes).Some G3 and G4 Tauruses came with Mercon dipstick that was suppose to be Mercon V. And some escapes came with a dipstick marked with Mercon V instead of Mercon.

Escape tranmissions are modified mazda 626 transmissions (I believe CDNE4 or some thing like that) and they are absolutely not compatible with Mercon V. This can be verified by any Ford dealer.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Thanks, Snowman. I thought there might be something "official" published either by Ford or an automotive magazine.

tidester, host
  • Options
    Here is a different link which doesn't interferre with Edmunds policy...

http://www.txchange.com/merconv.htm
  • Options
    why many service places go with what dipstick says?

They gotta go witht the service manual which says Mercon.
  • Options
  • Options
    Snowman,

You're starting to scare me now... Does this mean that Ford may owe me a transmission if it's verifiable that the wrong dipstick was used ? I'm

calling Ford Customer Service immediately to check....

Called Ford. They monitored the conversation and according to them it's the first time that they've heard of this particular issue. They can

find no official documentation on this issue.

I was advised by the customer care rep. to continue doing what I've been doing on the transmission. However, it doesn't make it right yet. I'd like a little more surety that this is not a real problem.
  • Options
    wijocowijoco Member Posts: 462
    Customer reps are telemarketers that just happen to work for (fill in company name here). They read from official manuals on their desks and probably couldn't change the oil in a lawnmower. The three Ds of customer service are "Defer, Deflect, and Deny."

According to Ford transmission mechanics on another website that-dare-not-speak-its-name, Mercon III (or just plain "Mercon") is the correct fluid for all Escape/Tribute transmissions. Manual right, dipstick wrong. Maybe that's why the word "dipstick" earned such a bad rap?
  • Options
    Maybe I've been the dipstick for trusting that Ford could use the right dipstick. However, the CCR at Ford said they could find no verifiable

substantiation for the purported claim. You may be right, about the DDD's, don't know yet.

Currently I'm running Mobil 1 synthetic ATF which I just put in several weeks ago, ~10.5 quarts were exchanged. This brew is supposedly compatible with any transmission /fluid. I have to admit that the trannie has not been acting out of the ordinary after 3.5 yrs. and 63K miles, but only time will tell. I've been judicious about the flushes and maintenance.

To be frank, if it was a screw-up at the factory, then :

1.) I'm owed a decent, cogent explanation from

Ford.

2.) I may be owed a new trannie, if this can be

subtantiated.

3.) If substantiation occurs and Ford does not

comply, then a lawsuit will be forthcoming,

probably with a settlement.

My premise is simple, if Ford messed-up then Ford

should pay period. However, I still like my Escape. I'll keep y'all posted... this may take awhile.
  • Options
    You need to prove that Ford made the mistake first.

Even tought they screwed up, you won't be able to prove it. They even may claim that you changed the dipstick...

Beyond that, nothing has been damaged yet or at least you don't know...

You might wanna get it replaced with Mercon asap thought...
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    This topic has moved to its new home in Ford Escape/Tribute Owners. If you are currently subcribed to the discussion, the move should not have affected it.
  • Options
    I placed a call to the purchasing dealership this morning before I had to go into meetings. The Service Advisor has been very helpful so far, but

we're playing phone-tag at the moment. He does have some answer for me, either yea or nay, I'm not sure. I'll let y'all know what and when I find out something or whether it will be pat-answer.
  • Options
    wijocowijoco Member Posts: 462
    They are NOT going to give you a new transmission, especially of there's no damage to the current one. I wouldn't even try and pursue that.
  • Options
    go323go323 Member Posts: 5
    As a newbie this forum is difficult to follow. u suggest using the search feature to narrow search. OK, I can do that (Yuk!) Not only do i think separate rooms for the 04 and 05 years for the twins is a good idea ( i certainly hope there is a difference in the 04 and 05 Escape years as the 04 had some problems)...but, I also wish the twins could be surgically separated as I really don't want to read through all those Trib problems to get to the 05 Escape problems! please, use your scapel!
  • Options
    kibbles- Stay alert in a Tribute! In about 1 year, my whole front sterring sector was replaced, tires were eaten up, brake pads and rotors had to be replaced. Now at 2 years,and just over mileage warranty, transmission is gone and dealer says Mazda has run out of customer assistance money- can't fix. Want over $3000- Mazda USA won't return my phone calls and I can't speak to regional rep.Won't answer emails either. My car shut off at 40mph- lucky no one hurt. Mazda is dropping the Ford/Mazda SUV in 2007- bringing in a complete Japan built SUV- guess they've had enough. Check out the 33 recalls, and hopefully you'll be lucky enough to deal with a dealership that recognizes Mazda has a problem, and will do the right thing for you. Looks like my problem goes legal now-whoopee- the lawyers win! Mazda ought to be ashamed.
  • Options
    cparis64cparis64 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I have an 03 Tribute DX (5 speeds), 36k miles, and overall I'm satisfied with it.

The only problem I have with it, since I bought it, is a knocking sound coming from the front right side of the car. It's as if I try to start the car in the 3rd speed.

Funny is that this noise can be heard every morning, but only when I start driving the car. It lasts for 1-2 seconds, after that is gone for the whole day.

I keep my car in the garage. First thing is to put the car in reverse and drive it backwards out of the garage to the front of the house. Then I start moving forward and this is when the noise can be heard.

Went three times to the dealer. First time they changed something at the stabilizer. Then they could not find anything wrong. They said they can't reproduce the problem. But my wife, me and some friends all noticed this problem, so I'm sure there must be something.

Anybody has a similar problem?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  • Options
    Talked to purchasing dealer Friday at length about the dipstick/trans. fluid issue. Their last word is that is if there is no problem now

or has been no problem with my maintenance schedule, fluid used, etc., then don't worry about it.

Wijoco: You are right, without litigation involved

Ford would do nothing. Plus all manufacturers are getting real sticky about records and paper back-up and I don;t have all the paperwork to back me up, so I'm really SOL. I'll just keep tooling along and keep the vehicle for as long as necessary or needed. I still like the way it drives/handles/true-roominess for four (4), but the gas-mileage is not that great. Currently, I've got 63K+, and it seems to be running/shifting fine for now.

Just had the rear-brakes cleaned and adjusted with a brake-fluid flush. According to mechanic rear-brakes have about 1/2 wear left on them. Front ceramic-enhance brakes perform well and do not dust-up the wheeels like the OEM pads did. After two (2) OEM pad-changes I decided to go after-market and try the cermic-enhanced pads. It's been worth it and the pads were actually cheaper than OEM's. The aftermarket rotors are turnable too unlike the OEM rotors. I would like to add a Gibson or Magna-Flow exhaust system, but do not know if I'll have the vehicle long enough to justify the cost. I may trade for a pick-up by this time next year. I do between 18-19K miles per year, so I'm raking-up miles pretty fast. Like I say, I don't anticipate anything happening to the Escape mechanically, but you can never tell. All machines are prone to wear and breakage.

The exterior is in great shape, if I do say so myself, with a couple of wax-jobs a year with

frequent washes. Luckily it's warm enough with few exceptions to wash vehicles year-round here.
  • Options
    metrowmnmetrowmn Member Posts: 10
    I had a similar problem on my 02 Ford Escape. Drove me crazy. They changed the stabilizer bar too but it didn't fix it and eventually it got worse. Turns out the engine mounts were bad! They changed those and then the tie rods went.... I'll spare you the details. I got rid of the car but do have them check the engine mounts... It may be what's making your clunk noise.
  • Options
    need2escapeneed2escape Member Posts: 1
    Kibble,

I have a 2004 Escape with 29K miles. The car stalls when it is put in Reverse, and sometimes in Park.

I have been to the dealer 4 times already. I have had the PCM module reprogrammed twice already, the accelerator plug (recall) changed, and one other fix. I just picked the car up yesterday and I've stalled 4 times since then.

A friendly FORD mechanic told me that this is something that is happening often. Not sure what to do. I am over the 2yr/18k lemon law option, FORD customer relations has suggested that I work with the dealer. I am at my wits end here.

I have owned 2 Toyotas with no major problems (190K and 130K) and upgraded to an SUV because of my growing family and the lure of new car reliability. BOY was I fooled...
  • Options
    tributelationstributelations Member Posts: 5
    2005 Tribute - Auto, FWD, Purchased Fall 04

1st problem noticed around 10K Km

1st Problem - ABS Indicator - intermittent on/off. Also intermittent brake pedal vibration.

2nd problem noticed shortly after 1st:

2nd Problem - Oil Leak - steady droplet flow.

Brought vehicle in for service before Christmas, whereby they stated that a speed sensor needed to be replaced for 1st problem and new oil pump for 2nd problem. A month later, still waiting to get problem fixed.

Vehicle is in the shop as I type, so can update later as to whether the problems were fixed.

As a side note, not impressed with the level (or lack there of) of service from the Erin Mills Mazda dealer. Vehicle was brought in yesterday for all day service, yet nothing was done since 2 out of 5 mechanics did not show.

Update and impressions to follow.
  • Options
    Mazda provides rental car for Trib, why don't you take your car to a dealer that has better service department?

It sound complete nonsense that these repairs take 2 months. First repair at most 1 hour, second repair I guess around 3 hours. Parts can be ordered over night as well.