Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda5 Suspension

nissmazlovernissmazlover Member Posts: 162
Hey, all!

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced the following: My Mazda5 produces an ugly sounding crunching, grinding noise from the front suspension whenever it is cold outside and I go over a large bump of some sort like a speed bump or a deep undulation where the suspension really articulates. It only happens when it's cold out, and since I live in NYC and we're in winter it gets cold out here.

I took it to my Mazda Service Center - and my 5 is still there - and they have checked everything out and said that everything is fine with the car and that they didn't find anything broken or worn or anything in the front suspension. Of course, I asked: "Then why is it making such a noise?" They explained the same thing to me that they explained the first time I took it a couple of months ago (see, I was growing worried since the noise was very disconcerting to me), which is that the type of suspension that the 5 has (E-type) can make noise in the cold whether when the rubber components rub against the metal components and in the cold it makes a harsh noise over larger bumps.

They said that whenever I go pick up my car that they will put it on the lift for me and take me under it to explain what they mean. I look forward to that, but in the meantime I wonder if any of you - especially the ones in Canada where it's really cold - have experienced this.

On a side note, my car has a strange tapping noise emanating from the dashboard anytime I go over any size or type of bump on the road at at least 20mph. The tapping is not obviously heard by passengers not familiar with the car unless you pay close attention to it, but it drives ME and my wife absolutely INSANE - especially at night when I like to drive in peach and quiet and all I hear is tap, tap, tap over any road irregularity. They are taking my dashboard apart to try and find the noise since one of their "technicians" finally heard it when I took him along for an umteenth road test. Previously, they thought I was crazy since they weren't able to hear anything, but this time around the tapping/clicking noise was pretty obvious. Anyone experience this?

Comments

• wusterwuster Member Posts: 153
    The tapping noise on emanating from the dash may be the windshield wiper blades "popping" off the windshield when you hit a bump.

I had a similar problem with my Mazda3 till I replaced the OEM wipers with an aftermarket wiper.

It was really strange. Almost seemed like the OEM wiper blades was too light.
  • isda65isda65 Member Posts: 74
    I have the same suspension noise problem. Have brought it to the dealer twice now and they don't have an answer. They are quite accomodating though. They always tell me to bring it in if I have a problem. But I always leave empty-handed. I read in another Mazda5 forum that Mazda is already aware of this issue and in the process of redesigning a suspension component to fix this. In my case, my right rear has had the crunching noise starting a week after I took delivery. The front noise only started about a month or two ago and is loud on cold mornings or rainy days.
  • nissmazlovernissmazlover Member Posts: 162
    Hey, I actually never thought of that. Perhaps, that's it. Though thinking back on the noise it may not seem to me right now that the wipers could be the problem, perhaps they are and there is no hurt in finding out if it's so. When I get my car back, I will tape the wipers to the windshield and see if it continues making the tapping noise. Thanks for the insight and feedback!!! I REALLY appreciate it. You have NO idea how much that noise drives me INSANE!

By the way, what does OEM mean?
    You do have the same problem? REALLY? Thanks so much for letting me know. I appreciate it. I have posted about this before and no one has replied to it, so it's good to know that I'm not alone.

Now, where did you find out that Mazda is aware of this problem and that they are doing something about it in order to fix it?

And you are right, my Mazda service center is always very nice and accommodating, but I always leave empty handed since they always say that my car is totally fine. And you are right about the cold mornings and rainy days. That's exactly when I have the noise problem. It may not be anything important, but it sure does sound like something's broken. Thanks so much for responding to this. If you hear anything new about our problem, PLEASE keep me posted. Thanks!
  • isda65isda65 Member Posts: 74
    Here's the link: http://www.msprotege.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=194

Click on the "5 Suspension, Rims and Tires" forum. There you will see the thread entitled "Front Right Suspension Crunching". You will find that we're not the only ones having this problem.
    OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer aka the car maker.
  • platsilvmazda5platsilvmazda5 Member Posts: 8
    Regarding the tapping/clicking noise - whenever I am going between 5 and 35 mph and take my foot off the gas, I hear a clicking/rubbing noise from behind the dash. As soon as I put my foot back on the gas it stops. It is very annoying :mad:. As a result, I cannot stand to drive the car without the radio on. Does this sound like your problem or something different? BTW I have a 5 sp. manual.

I have heard the suspension noise a few times, but haven't worried about it. I live in a warmer climate than NYC.
    Does it happen all the time or during or just after making a turn?

The steering rack on the Mazda5 is electric, so sometimes you'll be able to hear the electric motor humming during a turn or just after the turn.
    It happens a lot of the time - straight or turning doesn't make any difference. It is most pronounced when I am going about 30-35 in 3rd gear and take my foot off the gas, especially on colder mornings. I also hear it continually at lower speeds, it's just not as loud.
  • edf4edf4 Member Posts: 65
    Yes, here too in Connecticut. Our 5 was without any problems until we got it back from the dealer after its first oil change at 3,000 miles. While driving it home, I heard the very same "crunching" noise from the front end, and maybe the rear, whenever I hit the slightest bump, or dip in the road. On driveway aprons it is especially noticeable. I'm sure it's purely coincidental that it started after being at the dealer, but nevertheless annoying and I can't help but wonder if they "did something to it" by mistake at the oil change. I feel better knowing others have the same noise and will report it to my dealer this week.
  • bppbpp Member Posts: 3
    I am having the same type of noise coming from behind the dash as I take my foot off the gas. I also have a 5spd manual. I am in the Toronto area where it is cold.
  • dcdingodcdingo Member Posts: 21
    Noise is noticeable in Washington DC when temps at freezing or below. We have a speed bump in our street and it's a nasty creaking early in the morning. Somewhat better if the vehicle has run for 15 minutes. I assume the suspension components have warmed through friction and radiational heat from the engine helps after a while.
    But it was a nice day today. Wife, two kids and the dog drove to a dog park in Virginia. Got lost a few times but that tight turning circle makes a breeze out of u-turns (should've got the nav :blush: ). Smooth, quiet, adequate power. And this vehicle is like Dr. Who's phone box, seems much bigger on the inside. Liking it better and better.
    Does it bother you enough to take it into the dealer? I am considering calling my dealer to see if they can look into it, but I am not sure I will have luck. It is a pain to take time out to go into the dealer, but this noise bothers me. If there was a reason for the noise it wouldn't bother so much, but I don't like having to hear this noise every time I take my foot off the gas.
  • perfectofcperfectofc Member Posts: 155
    If it bothers you, take it to the dealership. Even if they don't have a solution for it yet, at least they will have a record that you have complained about it.

I understand Mazda is working on a solution for it - my 5 is in the shop today for this very problem, and they are replacing a number of parts in the hopes that it will be fixed.
  • whipped95whipped95 Member Posts: 46
    I believe what the clicking/tapping noise we are hearing is commonly reffered to as "clutch chatter". I began to notice it as the weather became a bit colder. I experience it when coasting and while I'm changing gears. It seems to be temperature related because when it's warmer out I don't hear a thing. I've read several cars from different manufacturers have this issue. I need to schedule a visit to have it looked at, at worst case they give me a brand new clutch. No worries.

I also have heard the suspension noise when going over small bumps, again it's only when it's colder out. Other than that everything else is great.
    Thanks for the input. I would be interested to know whether your dealer solved the problem, and what parts they replaced.
  • perfectofcperfectofc Member Posts: 155
    Seems to have mitigated the problem for now - they replaced the front left and right control arms.
  • bob_welshbob_welsh Member Posts: 16
    Brought my 5 in for oil change last month. Mentionned the noise when going over speed bumps or dips in the road. They told me it was the bushings on the stabilising bar. They also tried to grease them but that didn't work. So they ordered the pieces. It took 3 weeks. They replaced it yesterday and problem solved! Didn't want to say anything before just in case.

They still haven't figure out the acceleration hesitation problem though. Can't win them all.

Bob
    Hey, all!

I just wanted to inform everyone that my Mazda Service center has FINALLY taken care of this grating noise that my, and others', Mazda5's suspensions have. I am SOOOO HAPPY!

Some time ago, someone here posted a work order of what their service center had done to fix the suspension noise on their 5, and what I did was print out that work order along with all the posts in here about the noise and I took it to my dealer. I let them know that others have been experiencing the same noise and that I have a work order of a service center who took care of it. My dealer proceeded to do the same thing that was performed at the service center the work order came from. I got my 5 back and I am even MORE in love with it!

My 5 feels even newer now, like I just drove it off the lot. They replaced the bushings with the new redesigned ones and they replaced the stabilizer bars as well. The car feels FANTASTIC and BEST OF ALL there is NO NOISE coming from the suspension EVEN in LARGE potholes, bumps or dips in the road. This morning, I took it over a large speed bump in my neighborhood at speed and it felt AWESOME and didn't make ONE noise.

If you remember, I also complained about an annoying tap coming from my dashboard. They took apart my whole dashboard and told me they tightened up some things that seemed to be a little loose. That seemed to do the trick since I haven't heard it either. I am SOO happy about that since that noise annoyed me even more!

I'm so glad that my car isn't making any weird noises anymore and I just wanted to share this with y'all! If your car is making the same noise, please go to your service center and have them replace the bushings and stabilizer bars and you'll have a smoother riding, tighter handling, noise free perfect little micro minivan!
  • yarisyaris Member Posts: 3
    That's great news Nissmazlover. I could not find the previous post with the work order though. Could you direct me or possibly print your work order for us to bring to our dealerships? Thanks!!!
  • teamonceriderteamoncerider Member Posts: 3
    Hi Everyone,

I have a similar problem, except that the noise/clunking is coming from the rear suspension.

I took it to the dealer and they said it was the right rear shock, they replaced it but the noise is still there. It almost sounds like a loose tool moving around and it annoys me to death.

Anyone have this problem?
  • trishr1trishr1 Member Posts: 75
    I have recently purchased a Mazda5 in October 2006. All was well until I had the tires changed for winter driving, and it snowed like crazy. Shortly after this, I noticed the "cruching" noise from the rear of the car - it was like the independent suspension really was independent from the front and back. The noise is particularly pronounced when it is cold, and whenever I run over a bump in the road. I also "felt" that the car was not really as stable as it was in October and November. I am reading with great interest all of the "fixes" that have been applied to this problem. Today while at the dealership for the three month check, I noticed that the rear bumper just behind the wheel well had separated and there was a gap in the wheel well (sorry I am not very tenchnical). They fixed it but told me that someone had bumped into my car. Yet there was no sign of any damage whatsoever. I am not stupid, I intuitively knew it was related to the suspension.
    What I need to know is whether there is an actual service bulletin and where I might find this.
    Thanks
  • dspiderdspider Member Posts: 9
    Here in Toronto ,,nice and cold and lots of crunching in the front end. Complained to the dealer and their response was "were not sure what could be causing that noise". So we lubed the bushings as per Mazda Canada ,that lasted two days -took it back they replaced the control arm and that lasted one night .Thanks to every one in this forum I now have enough ammo to to go to the dealership and tell then like it is , I also notice when the car is sitting at idle and you turn the wheel the lights dimm considerably. Am I the only one who has experienced this ?? Maybe it's that electric motor on the steering ? My wife loves her M5 and with a second kid on the way it's the perfect family car . Unfortunately fighting with these clowns to get it fixed is my department :mad:
    The North American (US only) identifies a problem with the suspension system and issued a permanent fix. However, it appears that there is an inconsistency in how dealership in Canada offer/apply the permanent fix. My dealership is trying to convince Mazda Canada to provide a permanent fix but they have not received the okay to do this. My "fix" was "nothing" because I would have been back on their doorstep the instant it happened again and I don't think they want that. No greasing, no control arm fix.
    I'm not sure why they would not do the fix for all as it seriously compromises the image they are trying to project of a quality car. It is a known problem with a known fix. Perhaps Transport Canada needs to get involved?
    In my rush to send this I forgot to provide you with the TSB number 02-007/06. It covers vehicles with VINs lower than JM1 CR **** ** 111238 (before Nov 1, 2005) for stabilizer bushings fix and VINs lower than JM1 CR **** ** 120197 before Jan 27 2006 for the lower arm fix.
    Be aware that Canada does not seem to be included in Mazda North American Operations Service Bulletins or at least that's the excuse I got.
  • blynmazda5blynmazda5 Member Posts: 20
    thanks for the link . Ive been busy at work the last few days , but I will be going to the dealer hopefully on tuesday . So trishr1 I will let you know what happens ,also I have looking everywhere and reading alot about this problem and somewhere along I read a post from a guy in Montreal who said he got his car fixed with what the dealer said were the new redesigned parts . Well see what happens on Tuesday,,,ill keep you posted... :confuse:
    I will be very interested in hearing what happens with your car.
    I recall reading the Montreal post and thought I would try to email him and find out exactly what they did and how receptive they were to making the changes.
    I haven't heard from my Service Manager as yet but it is early in the week.

Where's Phil Edmonston (Lemon-Aid) when you need him - I hope he is reading these emails.
  • bmclaughlin1bmclaughlin1 Member Posts: 19
    thanks for the link to TSB. We purchased our van in April 2006 and it exhibits the rumbling noise while going over bumps slowly. We had it to the dealer on 6/8/06 and they said something was loose in the rear bumper and tightened it up.
    Unfortunately the problem persists. Now with temps in the single digits we are hearing loud crunchy noises from the rear end of the van. The dealer said this is normal and their is no fix for this problem. I will be taking the van in to the dealer on 2/12/07 armed with the TSB to at least deal with the rumbling noise from the suspension.

Bill
    Are you from USA or Canada? I wish you every success with the TSB and I might suggest printing off a few of the emails from Mazda5 Forum where people have had the problem rectified. They just can't continue to hoodwink people into thinking this is normal because it isn't. Beware that the crunchy noise (likely bushings, sway bar etc.) could extend (as it has in mine) from the rear to the front then you'll really hear the crunching big time. I keep thinking on really cold days here that the rear and front ends are going to fall off. I know it won't happen but I'd love to call Roadside Assistance and tell them to come and pick up the front and rear ends. My slogan for Mazda is Zoom Boom.
    I hear you loud and clear , both front and back are nice and loud now .. Well I had a little discussion with the service department today and presented them with all the printouts and the TSB , their response was 'we will talk to some regional service guy and our service manager later this week " so I told him if I dont get a call by next tuesday I will be there first thing in the morning and I wont be happy . I also told them they can fix my car, give me a new one or just give me my cash back , so now I wait a week and see what kind of crap they will shovel at me.....
    I will keep you all posted and do my best to provide you with any information or progress that gets made ...Hopefully it will be positive.
    This from MPVclub forum - perhaps you ought to get together with her:
    "hey trish, where in canada are you? i' in toronto and am having the same problem with my mazda dealer -- agincourt mazda.
    they claim that i must have hit a large "pothole" and that since the car has 17" wheels, it is more susceptible to suspension damage... i wasn't buying it, and as soon as i mentioned seeing TSBs online, they changed their tune and did the grease job.... which did nothing. both my front and rear end creak sooooo loudly! it is especially embarassing to drive to school in my brand new mazda5 and have people walking by on the street turn around to see what is making such a loud groaning noise...
    have you heard from mazda canada? are they going to do the "permanent" fix?? i am absolutely angered about this because i even shelled out an extra $1400 for the premium extended warranty!"

As soon as one of us gets the problem fixed (in Canada) and tells us what the fix was then we can go with evidence. :mad:
  • bmclaughlin1bmclaughlin1 Member Posts: 19
    I am from Pennsylvania, USA. You are right, with this cold weather, it really does sound like the rear end is going to break off. When the temperature is milder we do not get the crunching noise, but we do get the rumbling/rattling sound when driving slowly over bumps that is described in the TSB.
  • vinnyfastvinnyfast Member Posts: 33
    I have the same problem which just started about a week ago when it started getting cold. I thought I hit something the first time. That noise is there all the time now, coming from the front end. Every slight bump I hear it loud and clear! To top it off, my passenger sliding door won't open more than about 6 inches. I called my dealer in Mississauga, and he told me there is a recall for the door latches, and that he has heard of issues with the crunchy sound from the suspension. There is currently a service bulletin for it. It involves replacing the bushing from the lower arm, and the stabilizer bushing. I'm bringing mine in next Monday. Dealer will let me know what needs replacing and will order parts necessary. As far as I know, there won't be any charge for this. I will confirm once resolved.
    I will need to find the link for the service bulletin, but in the meantime, here is the text from the pdf file:

Page 1 of 9
    CONSUMER NOTICE: The information and instructions in this bulletin are intended for use by skilled technicians. Mazda technicians utilize the proper tools/
    equipment and take training to correctly and safely maintain Mazda vehicles. These instructions should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers.” Customers
    should not assume this bulletin applies to their vehicle or that their vehicle will develop the described concern. To determine if the information applies,
    customers should contact their nearest authorized Mazda dealership. Mazda North American Operations reserves the right to alter the specifications and
    contents of this bulletin without obligation or advance notice. All rights reserved. No part of this bulletin may be reproduced in any form or by any means,
    electronic or mechanical---including photocopying and recording and the use of any kind of information storage and retrieval system ---without permission in
    writing.
    © 2006 Mazda Motor of America, Inc.
    Subject:
    SQUEAKING NOISE FROM SUSPENSION WHEN PASSING OVER A BUMP
    Bulletin No: 02-007/06
    Last Issued: 11/03/2006
    Service Bulletin Mazda North American Operations
    Irvine, CA 92618-2922
    2006 MAZDA5 - SQUEAKING NOISE FROM SUSPENSION WHEN PASSING OVER A BUMP
    APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
    2006 Mazda5 vehicles with VINs lower than JM1 CR**** ** 111238 (produced before November 1, 2005) for
    stabilizer bushings.
    2006 Mazda5 vehicles with VINs lower than JM1 CR**** ** 120197 (produced before January 27, 2006) for
    lower arm.
    DESCRIPTION
    Some vehicles may exhibit a squeaking or unusual noise from the front suspension or rear suspension when
    passing over a bump at a low speed. This is may be caused by one of the following:
    - The front or rear bushing of the front lower arm.
    - The front/rear stabilizer bushing.
    SQUEAK
    FRONT
    BUSHING
    UNUSUAL NOISE FROM
    REAR BUSHING
    LOWER ARM 1589a
    STABILIZER
    BUSHING
    1675r
    Page 2 of 9
    To stop the noise, the following mass production changes have occured.
    - The shape of the front lower arms along with the attached bushings has been changed.
    - The stabilizer bar bushing rubber was made harder and the amount of wax that is included in the front/
    rear stabilizer bushing has been increased.
    Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.
    REPAIR PROCEDURE
    1. Verify customer concern, specifically the location of the noise and root cause component, then move on to
    the procedures that apply.
    2. Verify each repair when finished.
    FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM
    1. Replace front lower arm. Refer to appropriate Workshop Manual section 02-13 - FRONT LOWER ARM
    REMOVAL / INSTALLATION.
    2. Perform toe-in inspection and adjustment. Refer to appropriate Workshop Manual section 02-11 - FRONT
    WHEEL ALIGNMENT.
    FRONT STABILIZER BUSHINGS
    1. Raise the vehicle in the air.
    WARNING: Before working on the vehicle, make sure the vehicle’s engine and exhaust are cooled down.
    NOTE: Do one side at a time, otherwise the stabilizer bar could shift out of position and make the repair
    more difficult.
    2. Reach in through the access area just behind and in front of the cross-member and locate the front stabilizer
    bar bushings.
    1675i AREA TO GAIN
    ACCESS
    LEFT STABILIZER
    BUSHING & BRACKET
    RIGHT STABILIZER
    BUSHING & BRACKET
    1675j
    Page 3 of 9
    3. Remove the transverse member to make access easier to the left and right stabilizer bar brackets and bolts.
    4. Remove the two bolts for the right front stabilizer bracket.
    5. Remove the right front stabilizer bracket.
    4 LARGE BOLTS
    1 SMALL
    BOLT
    1675q
    RIGHT FRONT
    STABILIZER
    BRACKET BOLTS
    1675l
    RIGHT FRONT
    STABILIZER
    BRACKET
    Page 4 of 9
    NOTE: It may be necessary to use a screwdriver to pry the bracket off.
    6. Remove the right front stabilizer bushing.
    NOTE: It may be necessary to lightly push or pull on the side of the stabilizer bar where it meets the stabilizer
    control link to allow clearance.
    1675m
    1675n
    RIGHT FRONT
    STABILIZER
    BUSHING
    1675o
    LIGHTLY
    PUSH
    AND PULL
    Page 5 of 9
    7. Clean the area on the stabilizer bar where the bushing goes.
    8. Apply a light coating of locally sourced white lithium-soap based grease to the inner cylindrical surface of the
    new front bushings.
    9. Install the new right front bushing.
    10. Install the right front stabilizer bracket.
    11. Align and install the bolts for the right front stabilizer bracket.
    Tightening torque: 40.3-53.9 Nm (29.8-39.7 ft-lbf)
    NOTE: It may be necessary to lightly push or pull on the side of the stabilizer bar where it meets the stabilizer
    control links to allow clearance.
    12. Repeat steps 4-11 for the left front bushing.
    13. Install the transverse member (if removed) and install the bolts.
    Tightening torque: four larger bolts to 36.3-53.9 Nm (26.8-39.7 ft-lbf) and one smaller bolt to 7.8-10.8 Nm
    (70-95 in-lbf)
    1675p
    BUSHING
    AREA
    WHERE TO GREASE
    1675h
    Page 6 of 9
    REAR STABILIZER BUSHINGS
    1. Raise the vehicle in the air.
    WARNING: Before working on the vehicle, make sure the vehicle’s engine and exhaust are cooled down.
    NOTE: Do one side at a time, otherwise the stabilizer bar could shift out of position and make the repair
    more difficult.
    2. Locate the rear stabilizer bar bushings.
    3. Remove the two bolts for the left rear stabilizer bracket.
    REAR STABILIZER BAR
    BRACKETS AND BUSHINGS
    1675a
    1675b
    LEFT REAR
    STABILIZER
    BRACKET BOLTS
    Page 7 of 9
    3. Remove the left rear stabilizer bracket.
    NOTE: It may be necessary to use a screwdriver to pry the bracket
    Sorry to hear from Pennsylvania having problem - probably the TSB (posted) applies to your car/VIN.
    For Mississauga, it was discounted in a way by my dealer as it is a North America TSB (which BTW Canada is not included :confuse: ). Anyways, you may be the first to win the Survivor: FIND THE FIX prize now that there are three of you in Ontario Canada, (2 Torontonians) I am looking forward to seeing who finishes first. There has to be some humour in this, though I sense that most of us are not finding this funny at all.
    I have not heard from my service manager :mad: -though I did contact Mazda Canada by email. Might be a good idea for you and the TO people to email them as well. Just checked my emails - OHHH Mazda Canada will be contacting me shortly I am anxious to hear what they have as a fix - maybe I will win :shades:
    Received no call from Mazda Canada as yet , but I called and left a message (they had left already) :
    Received a fax from my dealership today ; but all it said was (paraphrasing) sorry you're having a problem, there is no corrective action at this time :P , but we can do a temporary fix (replace the affected bushings which is the cause of the noise) that won't work, but if that will make you happy come on down; otherwise wait for awhile to see if there is a fix later. PS. it is not a safety problem and is not creating any damage (sic to my car). Well at least I have that in writing for later on down the road.
    Someone at work told me he had a paper machae (sp?)lemon made and a sign and attached it to the top of his car (another make). :lemon:
    Well good luck with Mazada Canada I will probably be dealing with them myself next week.On a lighter note I got a call from my dealer on thursday saying the regional whoever wanted to test drive the car on friday , so my wife took it in they tested it and said they have a new arm for it so she had to leave the car with them ,,this was around 10:30am . Got a call at 5pm saying the car was ready , somehow I dont think the problem was fixed but i will find out when i pick it up saturday morning .I have a feeling i will be back at the dealer by tuesday , as for the saying there is no permanent fix...That is not what I hear , the fix is being applied to cars in the U.S. which mean the parts do exist and Mazda Canada needs to make an attempt to take care of their customers..and to the person who bought her car from Agincourt Maz.. don't feel bad I also bought the extended on my car , alot of good it's doing us now huh ?. Don,t let them try to feed you any crap I have a civic sir with 195k and aftermarket 17"rims on it , I live in T.O so you know I cant avoid potholes ,and yet I dont have any suspension problems . Unlike my new car with only 6000k..Well I will try to update on the weekend after i get the 5 back ,well see what they fixed and how long it lasts. :confuse:
    Hurray - this is somewhat good news for you (I hope) and perhaps for all the rest of us. Anxiously awaiting news of the "possible fix".
    It is the same car whether in US or Canada with the same problem so a rational person would conclude if there is a permanent fix it applies to all cars of the same model.
    I will have to wait until March to take the regional manager for a ride and with any luck it will still be cold out.
    Winnipeg has MAJOR potholes and my car only has 2006 kms, but the dealer never suggested it was "the potholes fault" which of course is untrue, and a bit condesending.
    At my first service check (when all this happended) I couldn't figure out why the seat belt light kept coming on when I had correctly secured my seat belt - thought ohoh electrical system problems - service tech said it was due to improper seat belt connecting by owner!!!!! I've been driving longer than he has been alive. As I figured out (coming from a 1993 van) when I put my heavy briefcase on the passenger seat, it thinks it is a person without their seat belt connected. Duh duh But the response was customer error...
    Please note that not all dealers are willing to apply the same "fix". I was offered replacement bushings only. Why is this? Cheap for Mazda Canada - a time waster for me and the dealership because I would be back and they admitted in writing that I would not be happy. This is throwing the ball to me to help them help me by going up the ladder which I did - YOU MUST COMPLAIN TO MAZDA CANADA regardless of what they do Please.
    well according to the workorder they changed the left control arm again and cleaned and lubed the rear stabilizer bushings i am taking the car out for a drive in a few minutes so well see what happens???Ill let you all know.
    Can hardly wait to hear the outcome.
    Just got finished replying to someone from Manitoba (finally) who has the same problem. See below what they did for her (not for me though they don't want me coming back time and again)
    "On ours they replaced the front sway bar bushings but that didn't help so I am going back today so they can hear the crunching sound again. I'm getting a little tired of making these trips for the same problem - especially since they always want to hear it - well, it's making the same noise it was making the last time you heard it!

Like others have said - it is way more pronounced when the temp. is cold. Here it has been in the -30's with windchills reaching up to -48 at night so it has been especially bad. Sounds like the car is going to fall apart everytime I go over the slightest bump."

Ahhh another with the "sounds like the car is going to fall apart" that's not a minor squeak...
    Please update me as to what happens and what is done so I can take that back to my dealership. Thanks
    Dspider wrote a week or ago:
    "also I have looking everywhere and reading alot about this problem and somewhere along I read a post from a guy in Montreal who said he got his car fixed with what the dealer said were the new redesigned parts"

I am searching (though not efficiently) to find the Montreal post so that I can email and find out what the redesigned parts were that were used to fix his/her car. Anyone out there recall when or who that poster is form Montreal??? It is this kind of evidence that is needed to force other dealers to act on the problem.
    I my self am having trouble finding that post again probably because I have been to so many different sites, but I will keep trying. So I took my 5 for a drive this evening after getting it back from the dealer this morning , and as expected the noise came back with it .. It is not as loud as before probably because the temprature is starting to go up a little and the dealer might have greased the living hell out of it. Either way they will be seeing me by tuesday and I will be trying to make contact with Mazda Canada next week to explain to them that i am paying for a new car not something that seems used and defective...If all your Maz5 customers are telling you about the same problem why not do a recall( trough the dealer if they want to keep it quiet )and fix the problem..Well I say it is time for action if they don't want to deal I will be seeking legal advice( about the lemon issue in Canada )I will try contacting Peter Silverman at City T.V and I will try contacting transport canada and foward all the info I have to them..We were all treated like gold when we were spending alot of money to buy the car now when we are having problems we don't seem to be getting any kind of treatment at all...Just my 2cents.
    I could not find the montreal post but i did find a link in this very forum I will post it but first look at this...
    Front Squeak and Rear Crunch GONE! A New Lease in Life.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -

I gave a copy of this TSB, http://www.mstore2000.com/PDF_Files/02-007-06-1675.pdf, along with a printout of the related discussion here as well as at Edmunds.com to my dealer's service manager. A week later they called me to say that the parts have arrived. I promptly brought my 5 in at 8:30am, left, came back at 5pm and all my problems GONE. Right away I felt a big difference in the ride especially at the front. So I guess the "front lower control arms" apart from the bushings were redesigned not solely to fix the squeaks but maybe to address the harsher ride (I'm just guessing here). It felt like the front had real "rubber" tires now as against before where I felt like I had wooden tires. The rear crunching noise that I had since I took delivery of the car is gone as well. Of course it's not a real test yet as it hasn't stopped raining since the fix was made. The true test would be on dry weather for the rear as it is the only time when it acts up. Overall, I am extremely happy and loving every minute of my drive. Thanks to all who have contributed. If not for this forum, I would still be suffering.
    This is from B.c Canada post #134 page9
    apparrently all the dealers have a different story ,the parts are still being redesigned or its on back order... Now who is lying and who is telling the truth ? If the fix is in the U.S why are we not getting it here ?
    The link is at post #7 on page 2 of this very forum , from pages 3 and up ther is alot of interesting reading..
    Thanks for the reply and taking time to look for the Montreal post - I too am on at least three different forums but regardless - what you and others are being offered as a potential fix (goodwill gesture on your dealer's part) is not what others are being offered.
    I still plan to go to my dealer - take the 2006 Mazda5 demo for a ride (my salesperson knows about this) - if that car does not sound the same as mine, I will have to assume that the demo has been properly fixed. There is no way they would take potential buyers out in a car sounding like mine or others with the problem. I understand the position the dealership is in - they sell the cars, Mazda warranties the cars against defects. In the USA, it it clear that there was no cost to the owner for these repairs under the TSB; there seems to be "goodwill" gestures in the form of cash/vouchers for some repairs that caused inconvience to owners for a variety of repairs.
    I am in the process of considering whether I want to waste my time and the dealer's sevice department in accepting their offer to apply the "non-fix" to my vehicle or not. If I don't accept this offer, have I breached anything that might give Mazda Canada any reason to not apply a permanent fix in the future? :confuse: Have to think about this.
    Before you decide to go the legal route (which may cost you alot), check out the CAMVAP web site - http://www.camvap.ca/eng/consumers_guide.htm
    It is an "either or" option - either you go traditional legal route OR you let CAMVAP take it on for free.* you must follow the process for disputes that is published in your owner's handbook first before going through CAMVAP.
    Call Mazda Canada Inc. 1-800-263-4680
    Also you have a Consumers Association in Ontario as well (looked at their web site last night).
    Transport Canada - roadsafetywebmail@tc.gc.ca or call 1-800-333-0371 to report a possible "safety" problem or call Transport Canada general number 1-800-333-0510 to see if they can do or recommend anything.
    Contacting media or investigative shows like Marketplace (which I did) may help if there are enough people complaining.
    Someone posted on another forum that the North American Operations in the USA oversees customer service for USA and Canada - however, you can't email them or register with them because you don't have a ZIP code, but you can call them. :mad:
    If anyone else has a suggestion, please post.
    This the first response from my home town from an owner who has had more of a fix than me (for sure) and others in Canada. While this fix is not complete by any means, I am sure the owner will let me know the final outcome.

"We bought our Mazda5 from XXXXXXXXXXXXX Mazda on XXXXXXXXXX and at first they replaced the front sway bar bushings at no charge and have now ordered the lower control arms."

If I were a dealership and someone had a problem and as a dealer I didn't offer to fix it or couldn't fix it, I would be very embarassed for that customer to take it elsewhere to get it fixed by a competitor :confuse:
    Just checking to see how things are going with you?
    Planning on going in for the "fix" probably next week - with my luck the weather will warm up so I won't be able to tell if it is "fixed" or just hiding out until the cold weather returns. ;)
    Im a little behind time this week.I called Mazda Canada on tuesday and explained everything,I was told that if the service manager cant solve the problem then i need to talk to the General Manager, so I called him and left a voice message because of course he was not there..Wensday was apparently his day off and when i did not hear from him at 6pm on thursday i called again.He was out.I left a message with the secretary and got a return call around 7pm.The G.M after hearing my story said the first thing on friday morning he will have a meeting with the service manager to go over everything that has been done so far and try to find anything that can be done and he will contact me sometime in the afternoon..Mazda Canada said they dont regonize the T.S.B so i suggested if it is the same problem as the U.S models would it not make sense to apply the same fix ??? I am still waiting for a response because they strayed from the topic when i brought it up......
    I will keep you all up to date once i hear from the G.M..
    Thanks for the update. Correct re TSB only being applicable at this point in time in the USA and with cars with the applicable VINs. Correct they could apply the same fix as in the USA because it is the same problem BUT they haven't come up with a suitable Canadian winter fix and it is likely that the TSB fix will not help us in the short term.
    It is frustrating to owners, but at least the acknowledged the problem instead of saying it was normal and attempting to passive owners.
    It is nice here today (afternoon) so the noise has not presented itself. Tonight when it gets cold again, it will be back. Keep us posted please. :shades:
  • castg1castg1 Member Posts: 34
    Hi, am here in Regina Saskatchewan.
    Service advisor acknowleged the 'suspension noise when cold' and told me to bring the car in anytime. The TSB shows that my car's VIN is not in the range of 'affected cars'. But still I'm having the noise (rubber grabbing noise).

Anybody knows the reason for the TSB? I mean why do they need to replace those parts? Is it for the noise? Or is the TSB also intended to fix another problem such as 'handling', etc? Because if it is only to fix the noise, then they should have only done replacement of rubber bushing and maybe lubrication.

Will be nice to hear from mechanics in the forum.
    I have asked the questions you are asking to both my dealer/service manager and Mazda Canada. The response was that it is not a safety issue, but if it came to that then a recall notice from Transport Canada would be issued.
    You can call any of the above to ask the question.
    I am waiting for my parts and only after they are installed will I know if there is any difference.
    I do occassionally feel a bit of a "sway" in the rear end that I had not noticed earlier in mid-October through mid-December.
    You are not alone with this problem.