Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Honda CR-V News and Views

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
edited March 2014 in Honda
This is the place to kick back and talk about CR-V's in general. Please use the specialized discussions for specific issues, like Honda CR-V Tires & Wheels.

Comments

• ea1420ea1420 Member Posts: 22
    So I have a question for current CRV owners. I've been considering getting the LX, but of course almost no dealer in my area has an LX (they'd all happily sell me an EX, but LX's are apparently a little harder to come by), so I was wondering what the interior is like on the LX. The EX cloth interior looks really nice, but I don't know if the LX is pretty much the same, but with different cloth on the seats (I know there are additional features on the EX, most of which I don't care about)? Does it look cheap? Nice? I test drove an EX, and I loved the car, and the sales person told the LX was exactly the same, but with cloth seats. I suspect that isn't quite the truth. So I was wondering if I could get feedback from either owners, or people who have seen the LX in person?
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    The EX, over the LX, gives you audio controls on the steering wheel, a center console, an extra 12 volt port in the console, the dual deck storage system, which is nifty, 160 AM/FM/6-Disc In-Dash Audio System with 6 Speakers instead of 4, outside temp display, moonroof with tilt, variable speed intermittent wipers, rear privacy glass and a security system, along with the upgraded cloth.

For the price difference, look into the EX-L with the heated leather seats and heated mirrors, etc.
    Thanks for the info, I know that the EX has more features, and those aren't features that I'm particularly interested in, at least not for an extra 2K. However, because I haven't seen the LX in person, I have no idea if the interior looks plasticy, or if the cloth on the seats aren't going to hold up after a lot of wear. The EX cloth seats look very nice, and I don't expect the interior of the LX to be as nice, but I am wondering if the cloth is going to hold up, and the interior plastics look cheap and like they will break.
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    From an appearance standpoint, the differences that stand out between the LX and EX are:

Moonroof
    Wheels
    Rear Tinted Glass
    Audio System and Center Stack

Otherwise the differences are minor, imo. The upholstery is the same. The center stack has a small storage shelf to replace some controls that come with the upgraded audio system.

I ended up passing on the LX, but it was a close call. Rear tinted glass wouldn't be difficult to add. I paid a lot extra for the center console and leather seats. The rest are some convenience/appearance items that don't add to the car's basic function.
    Thanks for the input. I don't want a moonroof and audio system doesn't mean much to me, so it's great to hear that other than the extra features that the EX has, there is little difference with the quality of the interior. Basically, I'd rather go with another SUV or shell out for the EX, if I think that the interior is going to be worn out in 5 years (and I tend to be hard with interiors). But, it sounds like it will probably be fine.
    You could always buy sheepskin covers for the seats, save yourself the wear and tear on the cloth, eh?

The alternative is buy the EX-L, with the leather seats, and have it worth more, at least the amount you paid for the leather more, when you go to sell it. ;)
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    The upholstery is the same.

In previous models there was a difference in fabric (it was more in the design) between the LX and EX. I don't have a brochure yet so I don't know about this model.
    >>In previous models there was a difference . .

Oops! My mistake. There is a difference. I took delivery of an EX-L today. When shopping the models, I missed the difference in fabric pattern between the LX and EX. Is there a quality difference? None was apparent. But then, obviously, I wasn't looking too closely. Sorry for the misinformation.
    Honda says the EX-L comes with Leather-Trimmed Seats and Armrests standard...

Yours are cloth :confuse:
    Yes, I know my seats are leather trimmed. My answer referred to an earlier question about differences in LX and EX model seats. I prefaced with "when I shopped the models."
    All good. Tired eyes here. ;)
  • gene_vgene_v Member Posts: 235
    Stopped by the local Honda dealer yesterday, They had a silver EX-L with black leather seats in the showroom.
    I really liked what I observed. Much roomier than anticipated. Headroom and legroom in front and back - very good. The Storage are in back was much larger than anticipated.
    Took a while to get the seat and tilt/telescope wheel in position. And that is a question. Those features need to be a power option. It would make the car. I don't need a RDX.
  • bmfcbmfc Member Posts: 9
    Hi. I have been the proud owner of a 2007 CR-V EX-L (w/o Nav) for almost 3 weeks. I would be glad to answer questions and would like to offer a few comments. Just keep in mind that I'm not a "car guy" so if it's a technical question, I won't know the answer.

I am very happy with the car. I went in looking for an Accord but the new CR-V caught my eye. It looks great and runs even better. The acceleration is fantastic but remember, I'm used to driving an Accord and an Odyssey. The audio is outstanding. I love XM and the XM sounds great with the six speaker system. The controls are easy to use and are easily within reach.

The only negatives thus far are minor: the right arm rest feels like it should go out another half a foot. The center console, an upgrade for this model, is odd. The only place that the CD cases can go is also where the "aux" jack is (to connect an I-Pod) and where you can charge a cell phone. As a result, it's tough get the CD cases out when the inputs are being used.

I think that's it for the negs. It's very roomy in the back and "trunk." Everything works great and I'm a very happy owner of a 2007 CR-V.
  • oldboboldbob Member Posts: 41
    Now that's what *I'm* talkin' about!
  • snoopy21snoopy21 Member Posts: 114
    actually, sheepskin seat covers (or any other cover for that matter) can actually increase the wear-and-tear on the underlying cloth. i know this sounds counterintuitive but that extra layer acts like sandpaper because of the motion of the vehicle and all the weight on top of it. i know from first-hand experience :(
    Snoopy, it depends on the grade of sheepskins you buy. I have had the problem you are talking about, in the past.

Quality covers have a lining the is guranteed not to slip or wear the actual cloth seats. ;)
  • jimby452jimby452 Member Posts: 5
    Just picked up my 2007 CRV EX-L Silver with Black Leather. The car looks great and drives more like a car than an SUV. My only beef so far is that the seats are not comfortable and the headrest are horrible. The headrests are hard and angled to much towards the front of the car.I cannot sit comfortably in the seat without the headrest sticking into the back of my head. Every time I step on the gas, my head hits the headrest. Does anyone else have this problem?
    Be thankful.

In a collision, that headrest, so positioned, might save you a broken neck. ;)
  • jimby452jimby452 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the reply Terry.
    A 2005 accord headrest fits and is about 1 inch narrower than the CRV headrest. The one I tried was cloth and much softer that the Leather, making the seat more comfortable for my neck. Will this accord headrest give up any safty issues and will the graphite black fron the accord match up with the indigo black on my CRV

thanks
    Jim
    Absolutely no idea!

If it were me, I would try switching them on the dealers lot, and see. If it fits, order one.

The alternative is to not make such a quick judgement, and live with it for a month or two first. Amazing how little things sometime don't seem as important after a while.....just takes some getting used to. :)
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Sometimes I wish headrests in all cars did that. They are supposed to support the head.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    This new geometry, placing the head rest closer to your head, is going to be universal soon:

"Acknowledging the role that seat and head restraint design plays in reducing whiplash, (NHTSA) has created a new regulation that will require front-seat head restraints to sit closer to the back of the head and be centered vertically behind it. The regulation goes into effect on all passenger vehicles that are manufactured from September 1, 2008, onward. (NHTSA) estimates that whiplash injuries will drop by 17,000 when all new vehicles meet the requirement."

New Head Restraints Can Help Prevent Whiplash

If you get a car with active head restraints, the gap between your head and the head rest will automatically close in a crash, so those head rests may not be as close to your head while you are cruising around. (safercar.gov)
    I agree, but I think you might have the wrong idea about "support". They were only designed to prevent whiplash and serious neck injuries, not as a comfort item as a headrest on a recliner.....
  • randomdriverrandomdriver Member Posts: 4
    The dealer usually has a warranty package to cover paint and the interior. I think it was about $500 for 5 years. It covered a lot on the outside, and stain removal on the inside. They said if they can't remove the stain they will replace the upholstery. If you plan on selling the car and want to keep it nice, or if you really are that hard on the interior, it might be worth checking into. If you are talking stains you should scotch-guard everything before you start driving, it you are talking wear and tear, I have nothing!
  • clarkkentclarkkent Member Posts: 154
    WOW! EVEN LESS POWER NOW! I CAN'T WAIT!

Maybe Honda will now build a Hybrid --- Gas engine tied to a diesel engine. Good idea. With a setup like that, two engines, we may get a CRV with enough power to cruise at highways speeds (65 mph to 75 mph) with two adults, two childer AND two bags of groceries!

Hmmmm, 2 engines, 2 adults, 2 kids, 2 bags of groceries ---
    we could name it the Honda "Twoler" Then we could all go "twoling" in our Hondas.
    Actually it will have more torque therefore more pickup and pulling power.
    Overall performance probably won't be much different (added weight and lower horsepower) although midrange performance should improve a tad. More significant will be gains in fuel economy.

That said, does anyone know if CR-V with diesel in European market is being sold with AWD? At this time, however, Honda is offering CRV diesel with only 6-speed manual transmissiom (no automatic).
  • socalmomsocalmom Member Posts: 5
    or did the dealer just not have any and was trying to pull one over on us?
  • my001my001 Member Posts: 17
    No, not true. I just got a call from a dealer in Portland, OR to look at the navi version of CRV today. It is true that not all dealers have navi versions and there are not very many have been shipped.
    Salesmen want to sell what they have. They know if they can get you interested, half their job is done. So they are not too eager to risk a "now" sale for one in the future. This works for 75% of prospects. ;)
    The biggest criticism of the 2.4 liter gas engine in the CR-V is that it lacks enough power to pass on hills. The 2.2 cid diesel has over 250 ft/lbs of torque, enough power throughout the range, not just midrange as you omnipotently claim.
    The key with performance regardless of torque is power at certain speed. As long as the vehicle is in the right gear for the speed, more power always wins the race. The diesel is indeed very strong at low rpm, but it also doesn’t rev very high (I believe, redline is around 4500 rpm compared to the 2.4 gasoline motor which has it at about 6500 rpm or so I believe). This requires taller gearing for same speed. There might be a little edge with diesel, just not sufficient as the torque ratings would suggest. Besides, as I indicated earlier, diesel engine also seems to add weight (diesel Civic and Accord seem to be about 150 lb heavier than their gasoline counterparts).
  • clarkkentclarkkent Member Posts: 154
    Not enough power to pass on a hill?? What are you smoking?

The 2.4 doesn't have enough power to get OVER a hill, let alone pass a anything at the same time!

CK
    LOL. Good going Superman.
  • harvey44harvey44 Member Posts: 178
    Do you guys have big families? Are you passing in the Rockies? The sucker really revs (our 2006) and in 4th or even 3rd if necessary I feel like I can pass. What kind of highway mpg are you squeezing out of a vehicle that has acceptable passing power?

M
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    2002 Windstar. 23 plus MPG on highway. Better without reformulated gas.
  • satuitsatuit Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know how I can add an outdoor temperature sensor to my new CRV LX? It's the only thing I really miss from my previous car. I called the service dept at the dealer and the answer I got was that Honda can't do it.
  • oldbugoldbug Member Posts: 11
    Congrats on the CR-V EX-L...that is what I am considering but would order the Nav system. I like the back cam that it comes with. Wondering what your final price was. I was quoted here in MN @ $2895 with Nav. It would be nice to schmooz with the dealer and get a little off of that tho. I plan on ordering and waiting at least 6-8 weeks but don't want to settle for something I don't want. What color did you get? And which color seats did you get? Any extras like roof rack?...trailer hitch?

Thanks!
    thanks, i actually saw that on the web. i don't really need the compass, just the temp. my preference would be a honda after market product but i don't think it exists. will look for a temp only which isn't too cheesy looking. thanks again!
    Could use it today in St Louis. What a mess. Roads, trees, lawn and electric wires covered with ice and then snow on top.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    I installed a GENTEX rear view mirror on my 2003 CR-V. It had a compass and outside temp, plus it automatically dimmed when cars came up behind at night. Cost about $300 installed, and looks great.
  • bmfcbmfc Member Posts: 9
    Thanks oldbug. Somebody thought that I was a Raiders fan because my car is silver and black (interior). I paid $24,900. I think I got it the week it came out so the dealer was excited to sell one and gave me a good deal. I was back last week (nail in the tire--there is a light on the dashboard that told me that a tire was low) and my salesman said that there is a wait list now (I'm in MD). I like the leather seats but the leather isn't as nice as I've seen in an Infinity or Lexus. I didn't get any extras.
    hi there, thanks for your note. the only problem is that i'm cheap. that's why i went for the 2007 CR-V LX!! take care.
    :) Nice pictures, thanks!
This discussion has been closed.