Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• snowmansnowman Member Posts: 540
    but lately I see new members with existing Escape/Tribute vehicles that are running problems.

I find interesting that, as an owner why they couldn't get their membership before to post their existing car problems to seek solutions? As, 2-3 years old escape /trib with 20-30K mile, according to owner,problems have been there since purchase, and when I look at the profile, membership is created either today or yesterday.

Another interesting part that some of them never shows up again after posting couple messages.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    That is precisely why you don't use web forums to judge the quality of anything.
  • tributelationstributelations Member Posts: 5
    05 Tribute Problemos Update:

Just to clarify, it took as long as it did to fix the problem due to a back-order on the speed sensor. Erin Mills Mazda did not provide a loaner for the day that my vehicle sat there for nothing. They did provide a rental that evening for the following day while the service was being done.

Now with the service completed, everything seems fine. No more ABS indicator light or oil leak.

As for the veteran posters asking "why they (new members) couldn't get their membership before to post their existing car problems to seek solutions?" - simple, you're supposed to first go to the dealer to resolve problems. If the problem is not resolved, then you turn to forums to see if i. anyone else is having the same problem, and ii. if and how it was resolved.
  • dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    I could understand your frustrations with it taking so long for the parts to come in. I had a similar problem with a local Nissan Dealer (not responsive) and now I go to a different local Nissan dealer that has won awards for their customer service. I noticed that my Mazda dealer has won numerous awards, and has been very courteous and resposive (although I have not had major issues). If you go to Mazda's website, there should be a list of local dealers and what awards they have one. If it is still convenient for you I would recommend trying another dealer. Also Mazda is supposed to provide a loaner for any warranty work that is being done, whether it is for 8 hours, or 8 days :)
    Yes, I will definitely try another dealer for service next time.

As for the loaner, they said they only had 1 and that there was a waiting list for it, with not even a rough estimate as to when it would be available. Not wanting to continue driving with a brake problem and driveway staining oil leak, I just wanted the problem fixed and had made arrangements to work from home. So I was stranded at home with no vehicle only to find out that nothing had been done all day when I went back to the dealer via shuttle van. It was only at this point that they coughed up a rental.

Based on a conversation with an insider at the dealer (title withheld to protect individual), many customers are unsatisfied with the service. The problem is unlikely to change any time soon however, since these vehicles sell themselves, especially the 3's. It would be nice to equate high sales volumes to high levels of service, but this is not the case here at Erin Mills Mazda in Mississauga Ontario.
    Just so I understand, are you stating that you put 50K miles on your vehicle in 2 years? Or did you buy it used?

There were not 33 recalls for Ford/Mazda Escape/Tribute. I think you were referring to technical service bulletins (TSB's) which are not the same as a recall. And to put this in perspective, Mazda Tribute has 33 and Honda CRV has 32.. Fact is, every car that has been around for several years is going to have TSB's, and the majority of these TSB's only impact a minority of owners. My Tribute has never had any issues due to to a TSB, but I have only had it for about 4K miles now :)

I understand your frustration with your Tribute, but if you bought this vehicle used, is it possible that the original owner abused the vehicle or did not keep up with the maintenance? The reality is that the Escape/Tribute is the best selling vehicle in it's class and there are going to be problems for a minority of owners. Go read the CRV boards, they have just as many issues (engine fires, cars pulling to the right and cannot be fixed, etc).

I respect people's right to complain and the fact that they want to share their experiences with other owners. At the end of the day if you have had frustrating experiences with a vehicle to dealer, it is important to let others know. At the same time, people who read these boards need to put this in perspective. To say that every single Escape or Tribute is a piece of junk because of a handful of users who have had bad experiences is not fair either. The fact is there are hundreds of thousands of happy Escape/Tribute drivers who have never had a problem (two of my co-workers bought their Escapes in 2001 and 2002 respectively and have had no major issues to date). These users typically do not post to forums though, because they have no reason to..

Anyway, just my .02 cents..
    My post didn’t mean that you were a phony forum member. Since you have a new car and new forum membership...

I meant some others…

For the loaner dilemma, don’t forget that you paid for loaner car, this option is listed on your windows sticker. If they don’t have any availability, they gotta go to Enterprise and get you a loaner, period.
    Re Loaner - Next time I won't be so accommodating, and believe me, I've got a short fuse when it comes to lousy service - not next time. You gotta make noise (not unlike their products) in order to get heard, get a loaner, and get things fixed!!!
  • jchandrajchandra Member Posts: 12
    I had a 2001 Mazda Tribute V6 LX which was on a 4 year lease. I sublet it to my brother 6 months ago, and I leased another 2005 Tribute from Dufferin Mazda in Toronto, Canada.

Today my brother returned the car back to Dufferin Mazda; even though I had taken so much care of the vehicle they still charged him $350 for a cracked fog lamp. So the security deposit of $425 is now only $75.

I think all car dealers are crooks, Mazda, GM or whatever. When they want your sale they will even make a donkey your father; as soon as the cheque is cashed it's a whole new ball game.

All I can say is that you pay your money and take your chances; and hopefully find 1 honest dealer amongst the thousands out there.

I have also visited Erin Mills Mazda in Mississauga, Ont to purchase vehicles. Kept me waiting for 1 hour just to see a salesperson. As for their service, I would'nt personally take my dog in there.
    Good for you, if a dealer gives you bad service, then I say boycott that dealer. When we purchased my wife's Nissan Sentra several years ago (which is now a 05 Tribute, and we are loving it!) we had a really bad dealer experience. The dealer tried to pull a fast one after two weeks of owning the car and told her that Nissan Credit could not finance her car at the low rate we got at signing. So, I called Nissan Credit directly and they told us there were no problems and we made a payment right then and there! We called the dealer back and told him we talked to Nissan Credit and had already made a payment. The finance jerk actually cursed at us and then slammed the phone down! Needless to say we took our car somewhere else to be serviced, and I bought my 02 Nissan Altima at the dealer that gave us excellent service..

I am a pretty easy going guy, but I am no sucker, and I certainly am not going to let a car dealer take advantage of me.

You must have liked your 01 Tribute to purchase another 05 Tribute? I really like my Tribute, and was very satisfied with my dealer experience. They gave me a great price, great trade in (Kelly Blue Book after quite a bit of negotiation), and also did not pressure me when I told them that I did not want any additional warranties, undercoating, etc..
    "I think all car dealers are crooks, Mazda, GM or whatever."

I totally agree but not all of them, majority of them.
    I hoped You gave lowest possible evaluation mark to that finance guy...:-)
    I also wrote a letter to the owner of the dealer, but never heard anything back. Not surprised since I am sure the finance guy was told to do this to make more money for the dealer. I watched an undercover special on Dateline, and it turns out they try to pull this stunt (we need you to refinance at a higher rate) more often than you realize (especially to women). It is a total scam. Buyers beware! My wife works with a bunch of lawyers and they were drooling to sue the dealer, but I did not want to go through the hassle for a few thousand dollars and all the stress...
    That is why I do all of my negotiating over the Internet and also get loan rates from my credit union and other banks. When you do this, it puts you in the drivers seat when it comes time to finance, and most dealers will either match or beat the bank. In the case of my Tribute, they matched my bank and gave me the $1000 Mazda finance rebate :)

I have to wonder that had I not done my homework (knew current lending rates and my credit score, and about the $1000 Mazda finance rebate), if I would have gotten such a sweet deal. But to be honest the Browns Alexandria Mazda finance person I worked with was very pleasant, and this was the easiest purchasing experience I have ever had :)
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    "When they want your sale they will even make a donkey your father" ???

"As for their service, I would'nt personally take my dog in there."
  • mooisha1mooisha1 Member Posts: 1
    I can only find 3 or the 6 spark plugs on my 2001 ford escape. Any ideas?
  • escapenutescapenut Member Posts: 117
    The 'other' spark plugs are on the back-side of the engine and very hard to get to without the right tools. You are correct that the front three

(3) plugs are within easy reach, in-view, and

a breeze to get to if necessary. I've changed the plugs once with a friend who's a mechanic. I'd rate the difficulty on a 1-10 scale, a 7-8. I don't believe that I could've done it without his help. Luckily the plugs don't have to be changed that often. Ford says that the plugs are

good for 100K. I changed mine at 50K anyway. Cheap investment for a better running engine. The lower or backside intake cover must be removed and new intake gaskets (about $6.00 total) put in too. Took about 1.5 hours total time. So at a regular shop a basic spark-plug change could cost a couple of hundred dollars, mainly on labor.
    Looks like I spoke too soon about the oil leak being fixed. Just to recap - 05 Tribute FWD - V6, brought in last week whereby dealer replaced the oil pump. Noticed it still leaking motor oil the next day. Obviously these mechanics are playing the hit-and-miss game. Off to another dealer tomorrow. We'll see if the guys at Gyro Mazda in Toronto are more competent than the mechanics at Erin Mills Mazda.

Good help (and dealers) are hard to find. Any one in the Toronto area have any service experience with Gyro Mazda on Laird?
  • jchandrajchandra Member Posts: 12
    You should try Westowne Mazda in Etobicoke (Kipling subway area). I used to take my 2001 Mazda Tribute there all the time even though I bought it elsewhere. I was happy with their staff and service. Easy to get to. See how it works for you.
    This has been discussed on this and many other Escape/Tribute boards but I want to ensure that everyone in this forum is aware. If you own an Escape/Tribute it is imperative that the service center uses Mercon ATF transmission fluid vs. Mercon V. After some research, I have found that many owners of Escapes/Tributes (usually between 2001-2002) have had serious transmission problems (sometimes replacement) because the wrong fluid was used. A Ford transmission engineer was very clear when they said that these transmissions should only use Mercon ATF. I have also read that many techs are recommending that the transmission fluid be replaced (whether that be by flushing, or simply draining) every 50K miles.

I checked my Tribute manual and it clearly states to use Mercon ATF fluid for the transmission. Hope this information is helpful!
  • j30j30 Member Posts: 30
    My 05 owners manual says replace every 150k for schedule one or every 30k for schedule two. That sure is a major difference, 50k sounds like a good interval to me...
    Ummm. I think they meant every 50K for schedule one. I think flushing or draining every 30K is correct for my area as well (I cannot imagine performing this any earlier). Just make sure they replace with Mercon ATF..

Thanks for pointing that out!
    Having 30K interval is like playing with fire. For some reason Ford has been giving these unrealistic intervals in manuals. But my experience with Ford cars says differently.

I have 4 years of Ford experience from my X 00 Taurus which has more reliable transmission (with MerconV) than Escape.

During my ownership, I realized that after 16-18K usage, transmission oil was starting to smell gasoline (contamination) and getting darker quickly. So that, I was following 20K/2 years interval. I never had any issue with it.

My advise to you guys, check your oil often and smell it and check its color. Don't wait 30K or 50K or whatever interval you want to follow. If necessary replace it.

It is very easy to replace transmission oil on Escape/Trib line. If you are inclined to replace your engine oil, you can replace our tranny oil as well.
  • lsu79lsu79 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2005 Tribute S last month, and just realized the tailgate does not have a mechanical lock that can be opened with a key. Ordinarily this wouldn't bother me, but the keyless entry broke on my last Ford tailgate, so now I'm concerned, if this one goes out, how does one open the liftgate?
    Unlock the driver door with a key and unlock all the other doors with the unlock switch on the door.

Or just spend the $50 and get another remote.
  • lsu79lsu79 Member Posts: 2
    The liftgate does not have an unlock switch like the older models and doors have. And on my old Ford the problem wasn't the remote, it worked fine on the doors, it was the electro-magnetic switch in the liftgate itself. If it goes out on the 2005, I can't see anyway to open it to even repair it.
    I see. In that case, you would have to climb into the cargo area from the inside and remove the plastic panel from in there to fix it. I'm not able to look at it right now, but IIRC the plastic panel does not get wedged in the drip channels when the door is closed so it should just pop right off when you remove the screws from the inside.

If that fails a dealer or a really good mechanic will probably have to jimmy the hatch open somehow.
  • dweilerdweiler Member Posts: 3
    Good morning from Mulege in Baja California, 200 miles north of the nearest Ford dealer in La Paz. I have a 2001 Escape XLT 4x4 auto transmission. 40,000 miles, out of warranty, transmission serviced by Ford at 30,000. At 60 mph on Highway 1 the transmission failed without a sound or feeling. Coasted to stop, no foward gears engage, reverse okay, no lights on dashboard, transmission oil level normal, full of camping gear, no trailer. Could there be a reasonable explanation, or do I perhaps need to tow it to the Ford dealer in La Paz for a rebuild? Probably too complex for local mechanic. Thanks you so much for any advice, I'll check this forum regularly from the internet cafe here. Sincerely, Don Weiler
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    I agree about the sparkplugs.. Getting ready to change mine! Did you find instructions someplace? Do you still have the gasket part#?
  • prakspraks Member Posts: 4
    Hi Guys,

I have an 01 LX Trib. and from time to time the

red light from the dash board for coolant comes up,

and I checked the coolant tank it is still in the

full level. Anybody knows why?? Please let me know...

Thanks,

Praky
  • bri66bri66 Member Posts: 220
    Sounds like your in quite a fix. Where it's out of warranty you may be better off having a reputable transmission dealer take a look at your Escape. I have just recently had my transmission completely rebuilt by Ford @ 78,000 miles. In the past year they have worked on my transmission several times. The invoice's I have signed for Ford's payment to the dealer have totaled over several thousand dollars now. Thank God I have the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. The shudder that goes away with the 30,000 mile flush only is delaying bigger problems down the road for some. Your problem sounds quite severe. Sounds like you either need a Ford dealer or a good transmission specialty shop. Good luck.
    Don't want add anything counter-productive to the

transmissionn discussion, however, I just changed to Mobil 1 Synthetic transmission fluid at 60K.

This fluid is compatible with any transmission and fluid combination. Previously I'd been running Mercon V as previously posted because the diptsick was marked as such (manual said Mercon ATF). Multiple mechanics that I talked to were divided on their opionions as well. Some said always go with the dipstick, some said the manual. Currently I've got nearly 64K on my tranny, which is a modified-enhanced CD4E that Ford used from a 90's Mazda 626 platform for the Escapes/Tributes. Effectively, my transmission has never skipped a beat despite what I was running in it. Not to say that it won't, I'll just have to wait and see. But from this point on, until I get rid of the vehicle, I will be flushing with the Mobil 1 at $50/case every 20-25K miles. Cheap mechanical insurance if it stays working past 100K miles.

Ford will not blink an eye if my tranny fails d/t their other multiple problems and recalls with other vehicles. I've talked with dealer service advisors and Ford Customer Care. Both effectively were distancing Ford from any responsibility eventhough if a 'dipstick' at the factory put in the wrongly labeled disptick then Ford should 'fess' up to it. But they never would I don't think.

I still enjoy my Escape very much and want to keep it for several more years if possible even with potential repairs/replacement starting. It's paid for and cheaper tham new car payments. '01 XLT V6 2WD.
  • lmartin313lmartin313 Member Posts: 4
    Man I am so glad I found this - I took my Tribute in for the 60K service and they said I needed sparkplugs - it was going to be $300 but I just had the services which was $487 - I can't see why everything cost so much - and I was a little skeptic when they said I need spark plugs - If Ford says I don't need it until 100,00 I'm not getting it until then.
  • chuck1chchuck1ch Member Posts: 15
    You have to replace the coolant overflow tank. This happened to me about six months ago. The level detector in the tank is failing, giving an intermittant low level alarm.

If you are mechanically inclined, order the tank from the dealer and install it yourself. Cost about $53. Took me 20-30 minutes. A couple of nuts hold the tank to the fender. There are two hose clamps and an electrical connection.

I undid the tank from the fender first then positioned it to catch the coolant, so it did not spill everywhere. You will see the coolant out of the tank is pretty nasty with alot of crud. I strained it thru cheese cloth before recycling it back in the tank or you can put some fresh stuff in.

The replacement tank included a new pressure cap too. Cannot just get a float. You don't want to get into ensuring a proper pressure seal if you were able to replace just the float.

Hope this helps.
    Actually, I changed my spark plugs at about 55K

miles for peace-of-mind. The vehicle specs. state

that plugs are not needed before 100K. I've always been used to changing my plugs every 30-35K

previously. So I just extrapolated a little further out to 55K and did it. My Escape wasn't running bad or anything yet, but again for my peace-of-mind, or maybe I'm little too retentive, but it doesn't necessarily have to be done, especially at that price.
    Thanks bri66 for response. Best advise so far is to have a rebuilt bused down here for local installation, if I can find a qualified mechanic, or that looonnnnggg tow to La Paz Ford Dealer.

Cheers,

Don
  • masidanmasidan Member Posts: 2
    Hello. I am from Leavenworth, Kansas, and I experienced almost the same symptoms on my 2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD. Last night I was enroute to see friends and my vehicle lost acceleration while driving uphill. I noticed the needle on the rpm gauge fluctuate between 4 and 6 rpms. I heard the engine rev up when I pressed on the accelerator pedal, but I received no response from my vehicle. I safely pulled to the shoulder of the road, turned off and restarted my vehicle with no problem. However, my front wheel tires did not respond when I shifted to drive, neutral, gears 1 or 2. My vehicle can move in reverse; however, I am not sure if that includes the front wheels. I had Triple A tow my vehicle to the same Ford dealership; the same one that serviced my vehicle this past December. Right now my vehicle is getting looked at. The service tech thinks a snapring came loose on my front axle. I don't know much about vehicles so I have been surfing the net looking for similar cases. In addition, the tech had to ask permission to take out the transmission so he can confirm the problem. He said that it was necessary. I have extended warranty so hopefully it will cover whatever the problem is. Lessons learned: Triple A towed my vehicle for free to the dealership; thank goodness I renewed my membership; I plan to trade my piece of junk for a Honda or Chevy; I have heard bad things about the Escape...my friend traded her 2002 Escape after it stalled while she was driving on the highway. Thanks, Z. Danseco
    Before you buy a Honda you may want to check out their problem boards (CRV's are catching on fire and pulling to the right, and Equinox has problems with its hoses and the vehicle basically smells like it is rotting). Bottom line is that there is no perfect car out there and at least you got the free tow and have the extended warranty.
  • bigfoot111bigfoot111 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. I found this by searching the web. "Coolant leak: The low coolant light may come on in vehicles with the 3.0-liter engine because the float sinks in the coolant recovery tank and a revised assembly is available. (2001)"

Also Mazda TSB 0101703 DEC 03 "Instruments - False Low Coolant Level Warning Lamp" appears to address this but I have not found a copy yet.
  • bear925bear925 Member Posts: 7
    Masidan-and Dweiler:The old "Expert" here with one last post to all the Tribute folks. You can read back of some of my many troubles with my '02 Tribute LX/4wd, that I took excellent care of. I've accumulated some interesting info along my journey through MAZDA USA- Irvine, Ca. their reps and my local south Altanta dealer. My transmission just quit at 45 mph-Dec.9th '04. motor revved- car wouldn't go forward or reverse-quit. Towed in to dealer. Had just turned 62k miles, but we had it in for trans problems, since 30k miles, at just over a year old. Was in 3-4 times- they couldn't/wouldn't fix trans. Another ASE tech said torque converter was going out, which is exactly what happened- took whole trans with it. They won't fix it - they replace with new one. Wanted $3500- sorry fella- just barely out of warranty- your dime! My dad brought me up to do what's right, and it took me nearly 2 months- but I got the dealer do what was right.First, I was told MAZDA was out of customer assistance money-but they might come up with a portion of it, I pay the rest. I said NO- that's not right! This car is defective- the owner and service managers all admitted they knew of lots of Tribute problems, and I want it fixed under waranty. About 2 more "deals" were offered to me. Finally I found another dealer who agreed to put in a new transmission for $3000, and told them I'd just have it towed off, fixed, and let the lawyers have at it. I got a call in 2 days- a miracle happened- MAZDA USA found some cash and I got a new trans-at no charge! I picked it up this afternoon and immediately traded it, getting $4000 more than the dealer offered me to trade it in at his store. Bottom line- here's my take- perhaps this SUV isn't correctly designed to work with a lightweight Taurus motor and transmission- my entire front end had to be replaced at 1 year, brakes, rotors and tires all went at 2 years- trans at 2 1/2 years. I too had the problem of having it cut off, or not starting up sometimes. They took it in and "flashed" my PCM-what ever that is. After they did that, my gas mileage dropped from 19-24mpg to 13-17mpg. If they do this to your car, note the gas mileage difference. I won't go into the $400 I had to pay to replace 1 door lock. Kids- it ain't built right- never will be right, and MAZDA knows it- They are replacing it in 2007 with an all [non-permissible content removed] built SUV-something FORD won't have a hand in. Oh, as I got my car from the dealer today- the 34th recall came in!! Gas cable sticking wide open-causes extreme power surges! Y'all please be careful in these SUV's. They look cool, work ok awhile, then look out! ZOOM-ZOINK!
    34th recall...?

I am not sure you know what you are talking about...
    He is talking about TSB's (technical service bulletins) not recalls, and these typically only affect a small percentage of owners.

Just to put the 2001 Escape's 34th TSB into perspective, the 2002 Honda CRV has had 33 TSB' s...

Hey, at least the dealer/Ford fixed your problem well after the warranty was over.. I had a Volkswagen that was about 1000 miles over warranty and they would not even meet me halfway for an expensive repair.

Good luck on your next vehicle.. Just remember there are no guarantees in life, or in cars :)
    Thanks Z, please let me know what it was. I've turned mine over to a private mechanic here, and we're holding off shipping a rebuilt transmission down til we hear more advice on this fine forum.

Cheers,

Don
  • paulmcpaulmc Member Posts: 1
    Guys,

I have two 01 tribs that were bought in 01 and 02. The first one was one of the first vehicles delivered to the dealership and the second was left over inventory with 6 months no payments and 0% interest. Both these vehicles have been VERY good to me.

Problems I've had:

1. Transmission - small oscillation when shifting at 45 mph - ECM update and tranny flush fixed this.

Same issue started on the second trib at about 35K miles, tranny flush fixed it.

2. Leaky brake fluid cap, dealer replaced on both tribs

3. Coolant fluid sensor bad on both tribs, warranty replacement of entire tank. I had to take a video of this for them to see that it was actually happening.

4. Airbag light on - bad connector under drivers seat - warranty covered

5. Engine light - bad EGR sensor - warranty covered at 67k miles, yes that far our of warranty!

6. Brake light on on both tribs, kids spilled soda on the break lever in both vehicles, my problem! I sold the kids to a sweat house!

Pros -

Gas mileage with 5 people and gear to Iowa 19-22 mpg. When I travel in Colorado by myself I get between 25-27 mpg with the V6 4WD.

I pulled a 6X6X12 motorcycle trailer from Iowa to Colorado. The trib came with a tow package and this was a large trailer. Head wind in Nebraska and I could only hit 75 mph when drafting a semi. The tranny spit out a bunch of fluid because the dealership over filled it! Once it was down to the 'full' mark and I stopped for dinner it was at the correct level and I had no more problems.

I have 80K on both tribs and I'm please as can be with their performance.

I had one stolen last sept and I was about to go buy a third one.
  • jonb45jonb45 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 05 mariner, and I can't find info on this anywhere. I bought one and had them add the towing package. They put the hitch on, and the wiring harness wasn't there. They ordered one and said it was the wrong one because all that I needed was the one that plugs into the plug behind the bumper because that plug back there has power to it. Now they are saying that they are going to put the other one on, the one that has to wire up to the fuse box and other places because thats the only part that ford or mercury lists for it. My question is, if that plug has power to it, why go to these lengths to put this module thing on it, that is going to take them 3hrs to put it on, why don't they just tap into that plug and wire it up that way?
  • jjpeterjjpeter Member Posts: 230
    We love our 05 Hyundai Tucson. Just have about 600 miles on it, but on that forum, very few complaints from owners who have had theirs since the fall.

Gas milage isn't the greatest but for a V6, its about average.

They are an excellent value, zippy and handle great, look sharp and are loaded with safety features.

Worth a look for those who are shopping this segment.

And no - I don't work for them - just a satisfied customer!
  • masidanmasidan Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice. I talked to the service tech yesterday and he informed me that I had to do some 'research' as far as digging up my old receipts. He said I needed to find the receipt where I had my transmission serviced at 30,000 miles. That really frustrated me--you would think that Ford dealerships would pull that info from their computer database. My vehicle has been in the shop since Tuesday; I'd to make the phone calls to their shop to get an answer. The tech says I have to fax my receipt in order for the shop to get a new transmission--they have to replace the entire transmission. What the heck is a extended warranty for? I am fed up with the run around by Ford and will definitely trade my lemon for a Honda.
  • wijocowijoco Member Posts: 462
    Dealerships only keep data beneficial to them.;)

They are probably just following procedure, because even with an extended warranty the scheduled maintenance is required. At least they're not trying to deny your claim. If it were mine, I would hang on to it after the new transmission is installed. Once you get the stalling problems, torque converter problems, and ball joint problems resolved they're pretty reliable cars (no I'm not being sarcastic). If you trade for another used car you may be buying somebody else's problems all over.

By the way, what part failed in the transmission?
  • kibbleskibbles Member Posts: 8
    We received a notice earlier this week that our 2004 Tribute is involved in a recall. It has to do with the acceleration cable. I left the notice at work so I don't have the exact wording here with me. I have to schedule an appointment to have it checked out. They said that it would take about 1/2 of a day. That means that I will have to get a loaner again and deal with the inconvenience. Still waiting on the Lemon Law Lawyers to get back to me. Initially, Mazda came back with an offer of $1,500.00 to settle. What a joke.

I want out, the only problem is that for the past few weeks I have been looking into other SUV's and it seems like they are ALL having problems. Not so sure which way to go now.

Kibbles
  • billsbuddiebillsbuddie Member Posts: 41
    I took my 03 Tribute to the local Mazda dealer yesterday and they did the accelerator cable in about 30 minutes.