Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Crown Victoria/Mercury Grand Marquis Electrical/Lighting

Comments

• Options
    46steve46steve Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to change the entire headlight assembly on a 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis.
  • Options
    pq6y657pq6y657 Member Posts: 2
    Lights involved include door panel, foot well, and dome. This car has a sensor on top of the dash on the left side and is not obstructed.

The auto-lamp delay works correctly with the headlights turning off quickly when the rotary control is just past the on position, however, the lights above stay on.

The car went back to the dealer for a safety recall on 9/23 relating to the cruise control starting a fire.

I have removed the fuse(#4) controlling interior lighting and a few other things to keep the battery up. All plunger switches in the door panels are operating freely.

I have not been able to find the control, if any, that controls brightness of the IP. In other cars I have seen/used turning the brightness control to the extreme activates the dome.

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    patrock61patrock61 Member Posts: 4
    I have 1999 Ford Crown Vic. Never had a problem with wipers before this morning. Today, the “intermittent” function stopped working, only works on “full speed” and when I shut it off it does not park, stops wherever it happens to be. When I turn it on (not full speed) there is an audible “click” that comes from the lower center dash. This also happens to be where the windshield wiper control module is located. I was wondering if that “click” points to the control module and not the signal/wiper/washer switch on the steering column as the problem?
  • Options
    captdan3captdan3 Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem with my 2005 Crown Vic. Turned out to be a bad wiper motor.

Replace the wiper motor and good as new.

Dan
    Boston, MA
  • Options
    Thanks for the info what did the wiper motor cost you and how much is intailed in changing it ???
  • Options
    joeohara2joeohara2 Member Posts: 1
    I have no turn signals on either side but my hazard flashers work fine. I've replaced every bulb front and rear and checked every fuse. Prior to the loss of my turn signals, I heard an audible clicking noise under the dash intermittently for a number of months. I ignored it. I also had a blown bulb on one side so the clicking noise was faster on the left side than the right side. Now I have neither side. From what I've learned either the Lighting Control Module or Multi-function switch is bad. Any help or advice you can provide would be most helpful. Cheers,
    Joe
  • Options
    Update , I changed the motor it was 63 dollars ..Quite the project to change it you have to remove wiper arms . Update , I changed the motor it was 63 dollars ..Quite the project to change it you have to remove wiper arms . Take off both sides of the leaf screen you will need a Phillips screw driver and something to take out the 2 push fasteners on either side . remove inside motor cover remove retainer clip from motor arm remove three bolts securing motor . Remove the 5 or 6 bolts that hold the motor mounting /wiper arm plate lift motor mounting plate unplug motor and remove to install follow this procedure in reverse except motor can be bolted in before mounting plate is rescued . Total time should take you about 2 to 3 hours with 3 busted knuckles.

Problem is solved all wiper function work perfectly now thanks for the advice
    Patrick
  • Options
    scaldog1scaldog1 Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 2000 CROWN VIC, EX POLICE CAR AND AM HAVING SOME ELECTRIC ISSUES. SOMETHING IS DRAINING THE BATTERY, BUT THE BATTERY CHECKED OUT GOOD, NO FUSES ARE MESSED UP, REPLACED WIRING HARNESS TO MOTOR, NO LIGHT BULB IN TRUNK OR UNDER HOOD, BUT BATTERY IS STILL DRAINED LIKE SOMETHING STILL ON. CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT, CAN ANYBODY HELP WITH THIS? THANKS
  • Options
    sandyihallsandyihall Member Posts: 2
    My 2004 Grand marquis headlights go out and I can not get them back on I tried all lighting controls but nothing. The bright beams won't stay on either. How can I fix this without a new module?
  • Options
    pmitchellppmitchellp Member Posts: 19
    Your vehicle is maybe six years old now. Have you checked your alternator? They can check it at Auto Zone with their machine. Or you can take it out and bring it up there and they can run it through the tester, which is the best way to tell if it is failing under full load.
  • Options
    You probably can't.
  • Options
    randalls1randalls1 Member Posts: 1
    We had a similar problem. The Crown Vic would always start and run fine but every 7 days or so the battery would run down. Turned out to be the starter solenoid on the fender well. It was very slowly draining the battery down but still worked okay. When it was replaced the problem went away.
  • Options
    golfnuts2golfnuts2 Member Posts: 1
    I have no solution but the headlights go out only after I've driving the car, stopped for a few minutes like getting gas, pull away and then after a minute or two, the headlights go out. Doesn't matter if I use the headlights in manual or automatic mode. Sometimes the highbeams work, sometimes they don't. The parking lights seem to always work though.

Guess I'll be taking this to the dealer since I can't drive in the dark :(
  • Options
    We finally had to replace the wires all the way up to the harness as far as we could go with that along with the headlight switch in the dash.
  • Options
    beno84beno84 Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same problem with my 2004 Ford Crown Vic. It has happened 3 times now. Each time after I stop for a couple of minutes (ex: has happened 2 times after getting gas). Anyone have any advice, money is tight right now during the holidays.
    What did the dealer say golfnuts2?
  • Options
    I had a 77 LTD that use to do the same thing except that it use to happened when I was driving , Down some back country [non-permissible content removed] road with no street lights ,,,, what the problem usually is the head light switch if you look at it it is probably all melted and when it heats up they shut off when it cools down they come back on .So I would start out by replacing the actual head light switch in the dash. If that works let me know.........Patrick
  • Options
    clarksterynclarksteryn Member Posts: 18
    I have a '98 MGM with 83,000 miles - just got it with 81,575 miles, car runs great and I took it to the dealer and had transmission fluid flushed, antifreeze flushed, oil changed, and fuel filter changed. Everything is good except the right side blinker...when engaged sometimes it will blink real fast but green arrows don't light up, bright turn light will engage on front corner, but outside blinkers do not come on. Other times, green blinker arrows will light up and blink and every other blinker action works. Left side blinker all works normal. Does anyone know what might be going on? ;)
  • Options
    I had a van that acted like that because the right turn signal socket was totally corroded and it affected all the turn signals and lights.
  • Options
  • Options
    2kredss2kredss Member Posts: 4
    i have a 97 grand marquis with 76K miles and a possessed electrical system! we got the car in aug 04 with 25K miles and within a year it developed this most unusual problem. what happens is the voltage spikes and drops - sometimes very rapidly - and the lights flicker in concert with the varying voltage. the problem developed slowly. it first started in the fall and would only do it occasionally, a day or 2 at most and then be ok for weeks. it would stop in the late spring, be fine all summer and start up again in the fall. i have tried many things to fix it (i'll list them later) but nothing has any permanence. it is now a daily occurance and the issue has escalated to the point where it now activates the red battery warning light which flashes in time with the oscillating voltmeter. the voltage spike is quite high - approaching 16 volts. in fact sometimes the red batt light issue an audible clicking.
    there's a list of what i've done in an attempt to fix the problem:
    replaced all fuses, circuit breakers and relays
    replaced the starter (thinking the soleniod could be the problem)
    replaced the alternator many times (on the 3rd one since april)
    added several ground straps
    added new wire directly from alternator to battery, removing the existing wire from alternator to starter (i have read the this wire is a fusable link)
    replaced sepentine belt ( this made the problem worse)
    replaced the battery twice ( just a few days ago - car great great for about 50 miles)
    opened and cleaned every connector i can find

cleaning the connectors had the car run good for almost a week. a second cleaning had not effect
    i desperation i went to my local mechanic ( i worked for him many years ago). he had the car for a day, told me it was fixed (the stator wire connection) charged me 40 bucks. as soon as i drove away it acted up again. his opinion is to rebuild the alternator though him or "keep going to advance. sooner or later you will get a good one from them"

i had advance check the alternator on the car. voltage high 15's - 75 amps, battery was good but low on charge(this prompted me to replace the battery a week ago)
    they replaced the alternator. made no difference in the problem.
    i called ford and even discussed the problem with a local ford dealer's service manager but they were of no help. they claim they have never heard of any cars with this problem. i just cannot bring myself to take this to the dealer.

so, can ANYONE out there help me? i am at my wit's end and really dread the thought of turing this over to a dealer.
    thanks everyone
  • Options
    beno84beno84 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response! I just had the headlight switch replaced this week (90 bucks) and the same problem occurred this weekend again. I have a feeling it is the automatic light sensor. I don't know how costly it will be, I just rolled over 50,000 on my 2004 FCV. :confuse:
  • Options
    I'm sorry that your car is possessed. It sounds like you have something kicking up the juice and something trying to stop that, hence the flickering. The regulator is in the alternator so it is behaving schizoid. You have a short in your wiring somewhere that is barely visible if at all to the naked eye and that's why it is so hard to find. We used too have a place in Rockford that would go over your wiring with a fine tooth comb and find such a thing. That is the kind of place you need to look for if you don't have time to ckeck each wire yourself and don't want to take it to the dealer... who might send it there anyway.
  • Options
    bighoss73bighoss73 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 92 crown vic and the headlights come on but no instrument or tail lights, I replaced the headlight switch but still having the same problems.....any suggestions?
  • Options
    The problem with the Marquis among other vehicles is that the fuses aren't named on the fuse box; so you need the operator's manual to check them. I'm guessing you have a blown fuse. If not you might have a blown tail light bulb.
  • Options
    forget2forget2 Member Posts: 1
    All my lights &blinkers work except the rear driving lights.It has burned the switch wire & plastic switch cover although all other work fine.I wold like to find out what is wrong before i buy a new Switch so it does not happen again.Is it in the switch or somewhere else&where would i find it.Please help!!!
  • Options
    We never solved it until we changed the headlight switch AND the wires that got to the switch as far up as you can change them.
  • Options
    gunpackergunpacker Member Posts: 2
    Hey everyone, new member here. I have a 2009 GM LS & it has automatic day running lights. Every time I start the car the headlights come on automatically.
    I don't like running around with my headlights on, can I shut them off so they don't come on until I turn the headlights when I want them on ?
    If so, could someone please walk me through it with instructions.

Thank you,
    Great site & all of you helping each other is great thing..

Thanks again
  • Options
    euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    And what does your Owner Manual advise? Could be you don't have a choice. ;)
  • Options
    I know what you mean about that. I hate them myself. You could always try unplugging them from the bulb at the socket; if everything else still works after you do.
  • Options
    retiredagainretiredagain Member Posts: 1
    I have what appear to be multiple power drain issues through the Power Distribution Box.

By trial & error, I have identified the following:

MAXI 14 causes Relay 1 to click, slight power drain.
    MAXI 11 pulsing power drain...approx 2 second cycle.
    Circuit Breaker 7 flashes bright, then steady moderate power drain.
    Standard 5 causes Relay 2 to click, then slight power drain.
    Standard 3 glows bright, definite power drain.

There were no problems until the external temperature sensor started telling me it was 90 degrees out during a blinding snowstorm. After I replaced that unit, the vehicle battery went dead on me. After replacing a (new) battery - less than a year old - under warranty, and then having its replacement also go dead on me after about a month, I started the circuit checks.

Before I tear the car apart, can anyone who knows more than I look at my power drain findings and perhaps tell me things about the direction(s) I should take on this one?
  • Options
    I don't know what the readings on these relay and circuit breakers are supposed to be, but I do know that your on board computer is properly reacting to one or more bad sensors. Test the sensors if you can and you will find the problem.
  • Options
    njadamsnjadams Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 Grand Marquis that I really enjoy driving. Within the past month the headlights go off while I am driving without hitting a bump in the road to cause a loose wire to move. Sometimes they come back on but go out again within a few minutes. The flashers work and so do the brights if I hold them on, but if I put the bright lights on, they do not work, either. Can anyone tell me what the problem is?
  • Options
    sandyihallsandyihall Member Posts: 2
    If you find any answer to this problem please ,please let me know . I have had to drive my car either in the daytime or if at night holding the brights on. I went to a mechanic and he quoted me a price of $500 to fix it but could not tell me what he was going to do. Yeah right. So still waiting to see if anyone knows what will fix it.
  • Options
    Yes. When we had that same problem we replaced the light switch in the dash. You must also replace the wires as far back as you can. And use a good crimping tool because you must have a solid connection. My personal belief is that Mercury has too much going through that switch.
  • Options
    fordgirl4fordgirl4 Member Posts: 3
    My dom lights on my 99 crown vic keep coming on and going off while vehicle is parked and doors are locked or unlocked. If I have headlights on auto, they come on with the dom lights. Does anyone know what I can do to solve this problem? I have had to replace on battery already.....working on second one.
  • Options
    Yes, it is the notorious power-busting lights switch in the dash that strikes again! We had to replace the switch along with the wires back as far as we could to finally stop the problem.
  • Options
    fordgirl4fordgirl4 Member Posts: 3
    What is that switch called if you know pmitchellp? Thanks for helping me! fordgirl4
  • Options
    coltraincoltrain Member Posts: 1
    DOES ANYONE KNOW THE FIX FOR THE DOME LIGHT THAT GOES ON AND OFF BY ITSELF WHEN THE CAR IS NOT RUNNING AND IS LOCKED UP?
  • Options
    Yes, that would still be the light switch in the dash that has to be replaced along with the wires. It has the 'delay' function incorporated in it.
  • Options
    neeciep1neeciep1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having a similar problem with my headlights :cry: and took it to a repair shop. They diagnoised it as a headlight module problem that has to be replaced. The replacement part is a dealer only and they have to order the part, which costs $500. They first had to determine what the problem at $92 an hour! It looks like this is going to cost me $800 just to see at night. OUCH!!!
  • Options
    That is what my problem was and I was quoted about the same prices. I searched the web and so did a friend of mine and we came up with a website that will send you a repaired one when you send them yours and it only costs about $99.00. We did this and everything is working fine now. http://www.autoecu.com/
  • Options
    davelaterdavelater Member Posts: 2
    Dealer reports I need new lighting control module YW7Z13C788CA to remedy turn signal problem. Lights work fine. Both turn signals work fine when engaged, but the "clicker" sound occurs randomly when the turn signal lever is in the neutral position, sometimes fast sometimes slow. No bulbs are missing, all work. Any advice to find a remedy? Replacement costs is $850 with labor. Is there a secondary market for working used modules? I want to keep the car because miles are low and it's in good shape, but ouch the cost of this one is high.
  • Options
    euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Consider an independent auto electrical repair shop with either remanufactured or donor parts from a wrecking yard. Of course, bench test the replacement part 1st.
  • Options
    dudatdudat Member Posts: 3
    My headlights and cornering lights will not come on when the headlight switch is on. The "Flash to Pass" works to bring on the high beams. Then after an undetermined time I hear a relay click in the Lighting Control Module and the headlights and cornering lights start working. I have noticed that the headlight switch has been warm to the touch. All other lighting functions work normally. Any ideas as to whether it is the Lighting Control Module, the Multifunction Switch or the Headlight Switch?
  • Options
    dudatdudat Member Posts: 3
    I believe the Lighting Control Module is programmable so be sure that any used one is from the same model with the same lighting functions.
  • Options
    ant97cvant97cv Member Posts: 1
    I've had that with my 97 crown vic for the last year, and yeah it's getting worse. Now, if I turn off the AC, the digital display for the ac will flick light up the entire lcd and click repeatedly if i'm over 40mph. turning the ac on low keeps the voltage spike down some. The problem got a lot worse after I had a auto start installed by a non-dealer. had to ahve that taken out in the end. I've tried replacing the alternator, belts, spark plugs, and battery. None of that helps. It sounds like the problem may be wiring hooked into the light control module under the dash by the break pedal as described here http://p71interceptor.com/lcm/. haven't checked those wires yet, reallt not looking forward to replacing the lcm they run anywhere from 90 - 300$. Recently fried the turn signal module and electronic trunk release module.
  • Options
    hdave7hdave7 Member Posts: 9
    I have the same problem with headlights. Paid the Ford dealer $100 to diagnose and give me an $700 estimate to fix. Can you or anyone point me to information on locating and removing the lighting control module? I also need to replace some instrument dash lights, replace the drivers door power window switch and the hvac air mix/blower door actuator. Dealer wants $1,600 that I don't have to fix all these. Oh, and the cd player stopped working too.
  • Options
    davelaterdavelater Member Posts: 2
    The latest on my issue is that I paid the dealer a nominal fee to remove the LCM. I found http://www.autoecu.com through a Google search, contacted them, and was told that they could rebuild/repair it for $125. I am waiting now for its return. When it's back in the car, I will post an update. Good luck with your solution to what sounds like a similar problem
  • Options
    hdave7hdave7 Member Posts: 9
    edited June 2010
    Thanks for the response. I hope to be able to remove the LCM myself if possible. Can the car still be driven, ie do the turn signals still function and most importantly do the brake lights work without the LCM installed?
  • Options
    My brake lights and back-up lights still worked but not the turn signals.