Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Crown Victoria/Mercury Grand Marquis Electrical/Lighting

Comments

• johnj8johnj8 Member Posts: 1
    The high beam head lights on my 95 Mercury Grand Marquis quite working. The low beam and parking lights work fine. Checked the bulbs, both ok. Checked the voltage to the bulb sockets and got 2 volts. Thought it was most likely the multifuction switch, but checks out ok. (Took apart, no broken parts, cleaned and reassembled with electrical grease to keep corrosion down) Per the wiring diagram, I beleive the main light switch provides power to the multifuction switch, which in turn powers the high beam head lights. I get 12 volts going out of the multifuction switch. When I activate the multifuction switch, I hear a clicking under the dash. Is there a relay under there somewhere? Or do I just have to hunt down a bad connection or short? Anyone else ever have this problem?
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Do your Hi beams work when flicking the "Flash to Pass" on the Turn Signal switch? If so, then you know there is a connection from that switch to the Hi lites.
  • tosktosk Member Posts: 2
    I have 1999 Ford Crown Vic. Never had a problem with wipers before this morning. Today, the “intermittent” function stopped working, only works on “full speed” and when I shut it off it does not park, stops wherever it happens to be. When I turn it on (not full speed) there is an audible “click” that comes from the lower center dash. This also happens to be where the windshield wiper control module is located. I was wondering if that “click” points to the control module and not the signal/wiper/washer switch on the steering column as the problem? Though its probably not related, 160 miles ago I had the intake manifold replaced ($1100) because it was leaking all over the place.
    Thanks in advance for any help
    I had the intake manifold replaced ($1100) because it was leaking all over the place.

I hope the intake manifold replacement was courtesy of Ford as a result of their TSB recall a few years ago. ;)
  • tosktosk Member Posts: 2
    No, ford did not pay, even though the car only had 71,000 miles, the recall program expired last year and the recall was for leaks at the crossover, mine was different. Towards the back of the manifold, near the firewall, there is a metal fitting for the heater hose that screws into the plastic manifold. The manifold threads gave out and the fitting popped out.
  • rhawkerrhawker Member Posts: 1
    I purchased recently a 2004 Crown Victoria LX. I do not have corner lights. I do not know if I have them and they don't work or maybe the 04 Crown Vic LX did not come with cornering lights. Any help?
    RHawker
    If you don't have CL, perhaps the dealer or independent body shop could install a pair for you.
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    Cornering lights should have been standard, unless it is an ex-fleet that deleted them, for whatever reason. Your dealer should be able to tell you from the VIN.

I would think you can see the bulbs in the cornering lamps - maybe the bulbs are not there?
  • confused14confused14 Member Posts: 1
    About a month ago my wipers started coming on and the fluid squirting when they were turned off. They would stop where ever they were. Now they stopped working when off but only on high speed but still will not automatically go in the park position. Not sure if it is a switch control problem, wiper motor, or electrical. Any advise??
  • manglermangler Member Posts: 1
    My 99 GM has started the interior light thing

after all the charging system diagnosis

I replaced the 6 yr old battery

still baffled i found no excessive current draw...charging system is great

thismorning 5 am i look out the lights inside are going on and off

about 10 second intervals

even the buttons for the keyless entry are lit

as well as the 5oo bulbs lighting the interior

well I know whats killing the battery

the dealer says this car doesnt have a Lighting control module

suggests a def door jam switch ( built into the latch $60

or perhaps a button stuck down on the keypad

i think illpull most of the bulbs and put a switch on the dome light

maybe its trade in time lol

any idea where i migh look for a LCM?

Tom :lemon:
  • autodrautodr Member Posts: 27
    Hey Tom, now where does this issue sound familiar to me from? ;)

I didn't think about this testing idea when you emailed me a few days ago, just until right now did another idea hit me. While the interior lights are coming on falsely, hit the door lock button on the remote key fob and see how many times the horn chirps. It is chirps once, it is not a door ajar switch causing the problem... but... if it chirps twice, then a door ajar switch is suspect. You can try this while its not acting up to get a feel for it. Close the doors and hit the lock, the horn should chirp once. Then, leave a door open and hit the remote's lock button you should get 2 chirps. Not as good as getting to see the door ajar switches on a scan tool, but almost as good.
  • gcinmsgcinms Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Grand Marquis. Tried to turn off the engine, but the switch appeared to be stripped or broken. I replaced the ignition lock cylinder and the electrical ignition switch neither made a difference. It appears as if the actuator between the lock cylinder and the ignition switch is broken. The upper part works with the key, in both directions. When the lower part goes into the start position, it will not return, like a return spring is missing or the actuator is broken. My local auto parts store told me he cant get the part. Can anybody tell me where I can find an exploded view of the steering column or instruction for checking if the actuator is broken, and how to replace it? Is this a dealer only part? Thanks for any help.
  • merf_whomerf_who Member Posts: 1
    I have the same car and had the same problem. I researched and it does have a body control module that controls the lights. I think it was about $500 . I just took all the interior light bulbs out except for 1 and also do not use the auto headlight's. I haven't noticed any problem since. Merf
  • upmanupman Member Posts: 1
    fuse is good / relay is good / both horns are good ... were do i go next ? The horn did work when i got the car. This is a cop car
  • steve173steve173 Member Posts: 1
    i need to replace headlight switch..parts house is asking if i have electronic instrment cluster or manuel cluster.....how do i find out what i got....help
    If the speedometer is digital, it's electronic, if not it's analog, manual.
  • 1982grandmar1982grandmar Member Posts: 1
    I have an 1982 grand marquis w/ 78k miles on it.

Sometimes it starts rough and it sometimes idles like its getting air.

After it runs for awhile, it has no problem.

A uncle of mines told me its a simple sensor problem around the carb.
    Examine the air filter leading to the throttle body. Vacuum out the dead leaves and insects found in the air filter container too.
  • papasmrfpapasmrf Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem and the parts are dealer only but i havent figured out how to get the old ones out of the stering colum hoping maybe you had figured it out
  • jerrygw3jerrygw3 Member Posts: 4
  • jerrygw3jerrygw3 Member Posts: 4
    head lights go out sometimes.can some one help.
    i replaced dimmer switch.
  • rene007rene007 Member Posts: 4
    I have an 1989 Grand Marquis with the 5.0, and it is not starting, I checked fuel pressure and its got like 25 PSI and it has no spark. Checked to see if the coil was getting signal and yes it is, but yet it is not firing, I already replaced it twice and still nothing. Can anyone give me any suggestions?? I would very gladly appreciate that. Thanks.
  • 353beaver353beaver Member Posts: 1
    Have a 92 GMarq with this problem. The window cable has a small ball (like a fishing sinker) that hooks into a small slot. The piece is plastic and cracks. I've had to repair all four doors... if you search on-line for "grand marquis window regulator" you should find the part... they're about $80-100. Make sure you get the right one for the correct door (all four are different). Installation isn't too bad if you're familiar with disassembling the door panel. It does require you to drill out the rivets that hold in the old regulator (a little disheartening since you're near the glass - so have a helper). The rivets are replaced with 1/4" x 1" bolts. Overall, it's not too hard but does take a little time. My first one took about 3 hrs.
  • 94mgm9494mgm94 Member Posts: 3
    I had replaced the MASS AIRFLOW SENSOR a couple of weeks ago because during cold starts I would have to wait a couple of minutes just to warm up the car before the car could move forward, it would basically jerk back and forth and stall before pressing on the gas. Now, that doesn't happpen, after it was replaced no more hesitation, but now I don't hear the engine, no more rough idling, the engine is quiet as if It is about to die on me. While in drive and when at a long stoplight, or railroad crossing, my engine would just shut off, its as if it never reaches idle. I was thinking it can be the AIR BYBASS VALVE but there many names for that. I really think it soething to do with my idling. Anyone please help....I have had my car for four years and I never had a problem until now?!?
  • captdan3captdan3 Member Posts: 2
    I have the exect same problem with my 2005 CV police package car. What is the cure ? Are the part around to fix it ?

CaptDan3@aol.com :mad:
  • georgcgeorgc Member Posts: 2
    My Car: 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis, 81,000 miles. I have had the car for three years. About two months ago I noticed the following: The idle was faultering. Also, when using the turn signals, the digital temperature indicator light would dim and brighten with each flash of the signal. I had the alternator and battery tested. The battery was bad. I replaced the battery. The Idle has returned to normal. However, the temp. indicator light still fluctuates in brightness when the turn signals are on. The mechanic said it was because of normal drain of the amperage
    from the battery. Do I have a ground problem? Please help. :confuse:
  • snowbird6snowbird6 Member Posts: 4
    elec. fault causes computer circuit to "open" causing ignition failure. Restarts and runs normally after o/a 30 seconds. Has happened 4X. May run 100 or 1000 miles before next incident. No codes. Ford doesn't see it as a safety problem! Have replaced fuel pump, plugs, wires, and #8 ign. coil. 1800 miles since repl. coil - no incident. Been told that there is info out (not by Ford) that says that #8 coil temporarily shorts out, and sends elec. surge to computer which senses the surge and opens the circuit to protect itself. The engine will crank immediately, but will not start. Temp light flashes as engine stops. Other elec. systems still operate OK. Has occured at various speeds. Anyone else? Know about it? Any solutions?
  • ingabangaingabanga Member Posts: 1
    its your VACUME HOSE! i had the EXACT same problem! you have a small hole in your vacume hose. its a 3 way hose on the rear left side of your engine
  • RCthiesenRCthiesen Member Posts: 1
    I have a 02 MGM that has an intermittent electrical problem. For no obvious reason the parking and head lights will go on, the horn will start blowing, the seat belt light and defroster light will light up and the radio and climate control light will start blinking. There is a clicking sound under the dash, above the accelerator and in the fuse box next to the battery. The sound under the dash board is inside a module like box that if I hit the box hard enough everything goes back to normal.
    This problem shows up at odd times. Once from leaving the yard and going over a bump, once running down the freeway, once after openning the door to get in to start the car. I have disconnected the horn so that it does not embarrass the driver.
    :confuse:
  • gearhead11gearhead11 Member Posts: 8
    I just purchased this vehicle and twice now the lights came on by themselves.
    Could it be a faulty headlight switch since it has a time delay built in it?
    Also it seems to idle pretty fast to me. Vaccum leak? :mad:
    You may have your "automatic" light switch on. There is a sensor on top of the dash that governs when the lights go on. If that sensor is covered up, the lights will switch on. Naturally, the sensor detects very dark days and nights.

The switch also may have the feature of "delayed off" which turns them off after removing the key from the ignition.

As to the fast idle, I think it is factory set.
    thanks. I have the switch turned off. I haven't seen the sensor on the dash. I wonder if I can replace the headlight switch with one that doesn't have the delay?
  • bozemanmahlon1bozemanmahlon1 Member Posts: 1
    The 98 GM starts to turn over for a split second and then dies. Good battery, new tensioner assembly and starter. Prior to not working, sometimes it would sound rough and choking when starting but a tap on the gas and it would stop (after fired-off) and run and idle fine. I have power at the alternator, the starter relay and relays and fuses are good (except no continuity on the EEC diode, dont know if it should have continuity anyway). When attempt to crank the battery voltage drops from 11.9 volts to 6.2 volts. Can you replace the voltage regulator or do i have to replace the alternator or is something else wrong??
    I replaced the headlight switch and lights still come on. There are supposed to be two relays under the dash some where that one has to be bad but I can't locate them :confuse:
    Fuses under the dash and Relays are under the hood. Maybe near the coolant reservoir.
  • racpropsracprops Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had a PCM totaly shut down and take the data link with it.

All fuzes and power check good even to the PCM and even the power to the ODB2, but no scanner will read and the car will not run.

Starter spins it nicely but no run.

Rich
  • racpropsracprops Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had a PCM totaly shut down and take the data link with it.

Was driving on I 10 doing 65MPH and blam.

All fuses and power check good even to the PCM and even the power to the ODB2, but no scanner will read and the car will not run.

Had to tow it home.

Starter spins it nicely but no run.

Rich

Sorry about double post the page numbers run backwards to most forums, most keep the first page #1 and the older post slip lower and on to page 2 and so on.
  • houselighthouselight Member Posts: 2
    I am currently having problems with my 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis with the head lights not coming on or going out. All other light stay on. Turning the light switch on / off and it won't come on. Same symptoms in auto or manual Headlight mode. If I stop the car it will come back on. It then might go off after a while. I see others have had this same problem with the Ford but I have note seen any answers.

Fred
    I have an 84 crown vic and my headlights would come on and I couldn't get them to go off. Ireplaced the headlight switch and didn't help. There was a relay under the radio behind the ashtray center of dash. I removed it and took care of the problem.
    My auto delay doesn't work but I can live without that. Also you might have a light sensor on top of dash by windshield that could be defective. Hope this helps. :)
  • houselighthouselight Member Posts: 2
    The Lighting Control Processor had to be replaced. It is located inside the auto behind the glove box. If any one else has the problem they should tap on it to see if they can re-create the problem. That is how it was discovered. The problem might not appear when you want it too. It also might make the lights go back on when they go off. It is very costly but the headlights now work properly and do not go out any longer.

Fred
  • molarmomolarmo Member Posts: 1
    My "03 marquis has headlight issues. They go on automatically, but intermittently go off. When they go off, I'm unable to get them back on even if I turn the light switch on manually. When they do come back on I hear a "click". There seems to be no pattern..........very frustrating. Dealership is useless. Can anyone help?????
    I have a 84 crown vic and my headlights would come on automatically also. I'm not familiar with 03 marquis but my problem was the auto lamp relay. I replace the headlight switch since it has a delay built in but didn't fix it. You also may have a sensor on top of your dash which detects sunlight and darkness which could have something to do with it.
  • markeezmarkeez Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same trouble with headlights they will go off whenever they want most of the time it is right when i use the turn signals. I was on the interstate for a while and they stayed on way longer than they normally do. Im wondering if it has to do with more draw with brake lights and signals. All though the past few days I cant keep them on for nothing. Just for kickers I put them on in the garage and just waited about 5 minutes and they went off and on and off. I unplugged one side of the headlights and it stayed on a long time so I tried the turn signal and it immediately went out. My wife had a fender bender a month ago so it has been hard to figure out why this is happening. I had to replace the header panel and grill. I guess I will have to try lcm. Where did you get yours. Thanx mark
    I got the auto lamp relay from NAPA ($12.00) but it wouldn't work right so I just unplugged the relay and haven't had any problems, Your relay may be up front by the lights and the sensor also. Do you have a chasis electrical wiring schematic?
    That shows how your lights are wired with relays and such. I bought one off ebay for mine. I know it can get real frustrating. Hang in there. :sick:
  • tachyon54tachyon54 Member Posts: 1
    Lost my tail lights, brake lights, dash lights and turn signals a few weeks ago, replaced the headlight switch which fixed everything but the signals and brake lights. I've been all over it, replaced the flasher and fuses, still no luck. Strange thing is, the brake light in the back window works fine, just not the ones in the tail lights. I love my 94 Merc but this is driving me crazy. Anybody have advice?
  • pmitchellppmitchellp Member Posts: 19
    I have a 95 Mercury Grand Marquis and the headlights flash intermittently. I changed the headlight switch 3 times but it only solves the problem for a couple of months. :cry:
    Someone said something about an ambient light sensor in the rear view mirrror. Does my car have one of those, or anything like it? :confuse:
  • pmitchellppmitchellp Member Posts: 19
    I had a GMC Savana that had the same problem. It turned out to be a corroded parking light socket in front.
  • dowagdowag Member Posts: 2
    My dome light (and L/R floorboard lights come on and off at night and will drain the battery completely. Comes on for variable times and then is off for a variable time--only at night. I read where others have had similar problem but don't see that anyone has really had the problem fixed. This is a 2000 MGM. I have "sold" the car (will deliver in two weeks)....and now this problem. (otherwise a no problems car)
  • dowagdowag Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, I will check on the parking light socket. Would never have thought of that.
  • bigshot60bigshot60 Member Posts: 1
    2000 grand marquis, close doors, light goes out then 5 seconds later the light comes back on, 5 seconds goes off. this just started tonight. haven't had much time to play with it, but i will try all the ideas here. it doesn't happen when the car is running.