Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Crown Victoria/Mercury Grand Marquis Climate Control

Comments

• efan1efan1 Member Posts: 1
    Where can I get a picture or diagram of the EATC head units working mechanisms. I would like to try to repair the O-ring failure as mentioned in post #108. Several requests for pictures have been made in this forum, but I cannot find any responses to those requests showing pictures, etc.
  • chaindrivechaindrive Member Posts: 4
    http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36922
    go there and read thread, it is loaded with pics.
  • hounddogvolhounddogvol Member Posts: 1
    I truly thankyou for the advice, it worked for me today. I was quoted to replace the head unit and labor 600.00 so what a savings! Again, thankyou for the answer.
  • crownvicfancrownvicfan Member Posts: 3
    I have 96 ultra high quality silicone "O" rings (out of 100) to give away; I only needed 4 to fix the EATC. The Ford dealership quoted me over $1000 (tax included) to "fix" the problem. The "O" rings from McMaster-Carr, part number 9396K12, cost less than $10 (UPS included). I am NOT a mechanic but found lots of photos and instructions online. Total time: 2 hours from start to finish and LOTS of cold air (90+ temp here). :) Same fix for 1998-2008 Ford/Mercury.
    I just need a self-addressed/stamped envelope and the "O" rings will be on their way. After all, I saved about $1000!
  • shadetree9shadetree9 Member Posts: 6
    edited August 2011
    Thanks much for the link to the photos. I took my climate control apart at least three times and could not find the o rings. I was taking the whole activater off and the o ring was not in there. Now I know to take the plunger out of the other end. It is working well so far. You really helped and saved me time money and torment.
    Another post offered me free 0 rings from the master sargent in message 118 and he sent them in the mail so I did good. You're a great american
    Thanks again 08 grand marquis
  • rog1015rog1015 Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2011
    A/C and blower work well on short trips. When I run out about 200 miles or so, unit starts to blow hot. 20 minutes or so later it returns to cold (I turn off A/C when it gets hot and run with windows down). Blower is fickle also ie, high becomes a trickle of air vice the full blast. Sometimes there is little air flow and it is hot....
    I'm not a spring chicken and it's hot down here in Texas!!!!! Any help greatly appreciated. The dealer finds no fault...Can not recreate issues with the car idling in garage...
    Thoughts??????
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    If your engine coolant tends toward overheating, NOT actual overheating, the A/C compressor will be disabled automatically.
    edited August 2011
    Just got Merc a few weeks ago. have not noticed any indication of overheating but I will flush coolant and see if that helps-was planning on doing that anyway.
    thanks for the fast response!
  • mgb8mgb8 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all. Question, I have a 2008 ford crown vic, recently my air conditioning has starting switching from defrost to floor, if I take my foot off gas or place in nutural it goes back to dash vents.. Anybody offering any advice, dealer says it is control head and want 600.00 for part and 300 labor, there has to be a fix for this out there, with soooo many crown vics on the road as taxis, and etc. Please help. ebay has an ad for sending unit off for 75.00 who person says he has developed a fix for this? Please help.
  • tgwilsontgwilson Member Posts: 2
    You can get a re-manufactured part for about 340.00. It take 4 mins to replay yourself. It is the easy thing I have done. I purchased the part at o'reilly's auto part but you can get it at any of the major parts stores.
  • tyarizonatyarizona Member Posts: 2
  • tyarizonatyarizona Member Posts: 2
    Okay, I'm at wits end...2000 Grand Marquis that I love, except:

My a/c blows warm, and after some research I checked that my a/c clutch is engaging and the line in the engine compartment to the (accumulator tank?) gets COLD telling me my freon is good...so I started looking into the blend motor door/actuator, since that's very common issue I understand.

Since I didn't want to remove my entire Panel and pull the dash back, etc...I pulled my Glove box, and cut a small viewing "hatch" into the plenum chamber to view the blend door operation. I can see the blend door and it operates fine. When I put the control on "Max Air" it swings one way, when I put the control on "Floor" (heat) it swings the other...indicating the door is being actuated, and is operational.

What the heck do I look at next?
  • crownvic3crownvic3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi crownvicfan,
    I sure would like to take advantage of your selfless offer to share your "O" rings, but I dont know how to contact you. My EATC is sitting on my tool bench waiting for me to bring it back to health. May I hear from you?

Thanks,
    uleck1@msn.com
    "..when I put the control on "Floor".."

That statement implies that you're looking at the outflow direction control vane/damper/door, not the blend door. The blend door moves in response to the system temperature setting, MAX cooling vs MAX heating.
  • w9bagw9bag Member Posts: 2
    My 2003 CV vacuum system bleeds off immediately when I shut the engine off. It causes no problem with the operation of the EATC, but with all other cars that I have owned, the system
    stays loaded with vacuum, allowing for 3 or 4 cycles of various settings before the vacuum
    canister is depleted. Is this something that I should be concerned about?
    No.

Other than being concerned about what else, how else, Ford might have cheapened the vehicle design. Most modern, more modern, cars use electrical servo motors that are always disabled likewise.
  • shadetree9shadetree9 Member Posts: 6
    You need new "o" rings in the control head. About $1.00 and 2 hours of work. You can eemail me
  • fisher14fisher14 Member Posts: 1
    crownvicfan- have a 2005 merc g.m. not changing out of defrost mod. Would like to get 8 of the o-rings if you still have any. ( in case, like so many things in life, so,mething goesw wrong on the first time) Thanks, dodger don
  • jamesj_2011jamesj_2011 Member Posts: 1
    My 2008 Grand Marquis LS has the automatic climate control (set temp and climate control system adjusts to maintain the temp). Recently a problem: Over a 24 hour period the blower speed would drop out, i.e. one moment would be running at speed (including a manually-set speed) and then would drop to zero. Started infrequently, then became more frequent, then no blower at all. ETAC passes the self-test.

I'd like to check the blower resistor and/or HVAC Blower Motor Control Unit (a MOSFET), but I'm not sure if my car has one or the other, or both.
  • tbone75tbone75 Member Posts: 4
    Heater/ac not working. Don't have any success running EATC self test. Unit lights up, but doesn't start any test so far as I can see. Should I try a cold boot? Any other suggestions before I try to get a replacement unit? I've been hearing a sound like a vacuum actuator trying to move after starting the car. Any connection? And where do I get a rebuilt unit? Thanks for your help...
  • halo51halo51 Member Posts: 6
    I have 2007 GS. I don't have zone climate control. This car has 3 actuators, 2 are located on the fire wall, the blend door is inside the the plenum chamber. Getting to that one is expensive , 900.00 in Las Vegas(checked 3 shops). The others are much cheaper to repair. if you have zone temp. you may have 5 of them. I gave up, went o a ford dealer, they had it done in 1/2 day. Independent shops charged as much so I went with the dealer. Hope this helps.
  • halo51halo51 Member Posts: 6
    I have a loose black plastic insert covering the fog lamp hole on the drivers side. I think there is a post that it snaps onto on both sides. But one of the posts broke of and is stuck in the hole cover. Has anybody had this problem, can it be fixed at home, or is it back to the body shop . Thanks.
    Ran the self test! Where do I look up 024 error code?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    024 is blend door failure/blend door short.

If you don't see a broken door or broken linkage, then you'll either have to sign up at www.alldatadiy.com for $26.95 for the year to get the clothesline-long set of instructions on testing for electrical shorts, or you can take a flyer and replace the EATC module which is about $90 bucks.
    I got the dreaded 024 error code on the EATC, and I can see the blend door actuator trying to move. Just tries to move and makes the clicking sound. I have no fan, no heat, no ac- compressor not activated. Do you think a bad actuator could hang up the EATC so that nothing works? Hate to replace the actuator if it's something else. EATC display is normal and runs the diagnostic OK. Anything else to check before ripping out the dash?
    Looks like EATCs fail a lot. I found four pages of EATCs, EATC repair shops on EBay. Anyone have a repair shop to recommend? If the failure is electronic, not just vacuum related, can they be repaired? I suspect most problems are fixed by replacing O rings, but mine is electronic. Is the dealer the only way to go?

My unit's display is normal, self test shows 024, no ac, no heat. If I had just a blend door actuator failure, I should have normal fan, ac and heat operation- just a malfunctioning blend door or malfunctioning vacuum operation. I just ain't got nothin! Just normal display.

Ideas, please. Hate to buy a new one if the old one ain't broken......
  • biged10biged10 Member Posts: 1
    I read bigmerc post about using a vacuum hose and a tee and connecting
    the black to the blue and white lines. How do I get a hold of bigmerc to discuss this further with him. If he or twocassels or lilborther would contact
    please about this. Ed
  • tvsterlingtvsterling Member Posts: 3
    In the big shop manual for my 2004 CV there is an alternate control listed for the heater /AC system; used in cop cars. It is reputed to be a simple manual control. Just the kind of thing to fix the problem permanently I would think. I can try to dig out a Ford part number if fellow users want it. No idea if any conversion plugs etc would be required. I think not; at least if the Ford engineers are not completely off their rockers.
    tell me more! My '05 Merc Marquis messed up the other day, when temps on road hit about 90. Works fine in moderate temps...
    I am interested in that part number. tired of not having air in my car. Thanks
    edited April 2012
    Here is the Part # F8AZ19B888AB Ford Switch Assy Pretty sure from item on Ebay; Item # 261007794496 brand new for 24.47 + 7.99 shipping. Let us know how it works. There is an exploded part drawing on the listing & the list of compatibles looks right. If mine gives the slightest trouble OUT IT GOES. Also seems to need a Damper Door Switch, probably knobs too.
    edited April 2012
    Here is the Part # F8AZ19B888AB Ford Switch Assy Pretty sure from item on Ebay; Item # 261007794496 brand new for 24.47 + 7.99 shipping. Let us know how it works. There is an exploded part drawing on the listing & the list of compatibles looks right. If mine gives the slightest trouble OUT IT GOES. Also seems to need a Damper Door Switch, probably knobs too.
    Thank You.
  • dmciverdmciver Member Posts: 2
    help,
    my 2000 merc grand marquis air conditioning blows warm.
    the system is fully charged, no leaks
    yet, the inside temperature is very warm, especially here in las vegas
    help....
    summer isnt here yet,, i need to resolve this soon
    can you determine if your AC compressor clutch is engaging when you turn the AC on? Perhaps a friend can observe the compressor while you do this.
  • dmciverdmciver Member Posts: 2
    the a compressor engages and disengages,
    the a c lines are cold,
    the heater blower motor works fine

just warm air
    this car does not have the auto temp control

guessing maybe a blend door issue?
    Possibly but you should feel cold air at the blend door, or in the ducting. How 'bout a bad expansion valve, if your car uses that type of AC system.
    If the compressor is cycling on/off then refrigerant is flowing.
  • gothguygothguy Member Posts: 1
    Can you please send the picture to my email cause my 2003 Crown Victoria is having the same issue and i cant get it fixed
    marcus.kabatsky@gmail.com

marcus
  • efastmanefastman Member Posts: 3
    Having a problem with a 2008 Grand Marquis, when the rpm is about 12-1400 my A/C works fine ,blowing out the front dash, the minute the RPMs go up over 1500 the air flow changes from the front dash to the defroster vent,does anyone have an idea why this happens,and what to do to fix this problem, thanks
    Ford uses a vacuum servomotor to route the airflow, loss of vauum causes this.
    I could use the pictures,thanks
  • hartmkehartmke Member Posts: 1
    Bobe21,

I know its been a year since you posted this, but was just wondering if you resolved this. Same exact thing happened to my friends car today.
  • shesmiles1shesmiles1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Mercury Marquis and I just had a new control head installed to find out there was a problem with my blend door actuator. I had A/C on my dash and in the floor before this journey started. I wanted A/C to come from dash vents. Problem solved, but now I have no A/C on my dash or floor w/o pushing a button. I dont remember if I should have it coming from every vent with Max Air button.
  • cheapfix3cheapfix3 Member Posts: 3
    what was the fix? Our crown vic keeps switching from A/C vents to heater vents
    what part did you buy ? My A/C keeps switching from air vents to heat vents
    did you get a fix?-- I have a similar problem
  • grillspinnergrillspinner Member Posts: 1
    My wife's 2008 Grand Marquis LS has same problem. But I can't find the vacuum control motor for the panel air. I would tie some fishing line to the lever and pull it open manually if I could. I did a climate controll self check and the DCT's code reads 888. From what I have researched, it must be a vacuum problem. It's 104 here in southern Indiana and I need to get the panel air door open fast! I can find a couple hoses coming through the fire wall above the pedals and confirm there is vacuum.
  • lodown1lodown1 Member Posts: 2
    1998 Mercury Gr. Marq. LS trans. shift down button on shift lever does not actuate the transmission to go from 4th to 3rd and no light or signal comes on shift selection on dash. Checked fuses on dash and under hood. Added a quart of TransX to transmission. All works well but will not shift down on mountain grades. Car only has 60,000 miles and was garaged but little old lady did hit curbs and wonder if she may have run over something to pull wires out of sensor somewhere.