Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Crown Victoria/Mercury Grand Marquis Climate Control

124»

Comments

• euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    At 45 mph go into the passing gear by pressing the gas pedal to the floor. While the car is going in the passing gear, press the shift down button on the shift lever. Then lift your foot off the gas and see if the car remains in 3rd.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Downshifting, automatically, a FWD vehicle can be fraught with peril. Many FWD vehicles have firmware that wil not allow a downshift if it would result in a significant level of engine compression braking, braking that ABS cannot overcome.

Some vehicles will have an over-ride of this firmware if the driver uses the brakes even ever so lightly.

Ford has a US patent, likely used on their FWD hybrids, that reduces the level of regenerative braking as the OAT declines toward freezing due to the rising probably of loss of directional control should the roadbed be slippery.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Crown Vics & GM's are RWD.
  • lodown1lodown1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the suggestion but it did not affect the problem of the 4th to 3rd shiftdown on my '98 Merc. G.M. My son was here for a visit who is quite an electrical tech. He checked out the button switch itself by pulling the end caps off and found the button switch was not working. He took it out, rebuilt it, checked it out and the transmission shift down works fine now. I believe this switch would be available and is quite simple to replace. Now the green light on the dash works when it is in shift down mode.
  • dguiderdguider Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Mercury Marquis and need the .007 silicone o rings. I looked all over town today, no luck. Can someone help with 4 of them?
  • crownvicfancrownvicfan Member Posts: 3
    Is this for the climate control unit? If so, I have about 100 of the ultra high quality ones and will give some away to you Just send your address to me at uvscavp@ao.com .
    Rusty
  • dguiderdguider Member Posts: 2
    Rusty: That is really nice of you. I didn't think I would get such a quick response. I found them online and ordered 25 for 3.43. If there is a problem with them I will take you up on the offer. Thanks. Dan
  • swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    I've been doing ok on my two cars until this stinker of a Great White Whale became unreliable on temp control... 95 Grand Marquis, EATC control. have worked every angle and eliminated everything except the blend air door motor, so I dumped $28 on a new one and scoured the net. the tantalizing thought of going in through the airbag hole is a fail because I can't get the screw out holding the left front air ducting. so the only avenue left is yank the dash.

almost off... but it is holding tight on the left side, and for the life of me, I can't find anything else to remove to kick it loose. Chilton had the most accurate steps and about the only drawings, and everything is off and the steering column is dropped onto a landscape tie on the seat. I'm thinking that with everything known off, it may be that the left stud bolt into about the middle of the dash frame has a shoulder that is exactly the size of the dash frame hole, and the frame was effectively swaged onto the shoulder as if somebody drove it there with a hollow tool and a hammer.

am I right or wrong, and is there something else that Chilton doesn't know about I need to yank yet? for the life of me, I can't see anything else that attaches to the left.
    guessed right... after soaking up the stud for a week, knocking a WonderBar up between the dash and the left A pillar kicked the dashboard free.
  • czechnutsczechnuts Member Posts: 1
    I'm just curious if this will work with our cruiser. I have heat. I have cold. My deal is that the defrost and dash only blow on cold. Well were in the north wet and it's getting cold. So the floor being the only thing hot is a no good sitch. I thought it may had been the dash control. So found a wrecking yard one. Same deal. I'd rather fix it. But thats a bit steep.
    "..defrost and dash only blow on cold.."

SOP....

First introduced within the US circa '80's on asian made cars that used the (soundly IDIOTIC) NipponDenso climate control system design. Not much later one of the major US suppliers of these designs was aquired and became Denso US so now we have this idiotic design in many US cars.

If you want HEAT to the windshield, say for the episodes of sudden windshield fogging these systems are prone to, the only method I know of is QUICKLY turn up the temperature setpoint to MAXIMUM HEATING and the switch the mode to defrost/demist/defog.

I modified the climate control module in my '92 Lexus LS400 and those of a few friends, such that when I activate the defrost/defog/demist mode the interior cabin temperature sensor suddenly indicates a VERY COLD cabin.
    "...north WET.."

Must remember that... ;)
  • psykohpsykoh Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Grand Marquis. Do you still do this type of work? I had the Climate Control (EATC module) replaced by the dealer about 1 yr ago for $1000.00. I am also having a problem witht ehleft turn signal blinking much faster than the right. Could this be a problem with the Light Control Modules (LCM)? If so, what does that unit cost?

Thanks!

Scott
  • bartbarterbartbarter Member Posts: 39
    When you have a burnt out light the blinker will go very fast. I would check that 1st.
    two things most likely on the faster left blinker. one, as mentioned, a burned out bulb either front or back.

second, if the multifunction switch (turn/dim/wipers/world_peace) is starting to get funky and junky, it may fail to make contact with the wires for one of those bulbs, resulting in fast (or no) blinking. the wife's Taurus is doing that. you may get relief by getting a can of electronic contact cleaner and shooting a blast into the blinker stalk off the multifunction switch, then operating it a few times. that would be a temporary fix.

one silly thing I had on my car... replaced a MF switch because it wasn't dimming... and then the headlights quit. for jollies, I cleaned it up well with contact cleaner and put it in the box and held on to it. loaned the car to a relative for a weekend, and they broke the new one. put the old one back in, and three years later, not an issue, working fine. that's in the $250 neighborhood. live and learn.
  • bartbarterbartbarter Member Posts: 39
    Good call sws! I forgot.

On Panthers you can often clean them by spraying a bunch of electrical cleaner down the hazard light switch while working the stalk.
  • williemann4867williemann4867 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem on my 95 Lincoln TC. But mine is on purpose because the ATC quit working. Thought it was the blend door actuator which is electronic. Changed it out. It's hard to do but can be done without removing the dash. Same problem. Removed the actuator so now if I want heat I must do a hard right with the car. Sounds like the actuator lever broke on yours and is letting the blend door swing open and shut on its own. I had a 92 that did the same thing and I ended up putting a pull cable on the blend door so I could control the temp manually.
  • carlmccarlmc Member Posts: 1
    Hi, Do you remember the name or address or phone number of this shop? I went to this guy about 2 years ago and I can't find his info. I need another control unit and can not find him. Thanks Helen
  • joe439joe439 Member Posts: 1
    Where do I send the envelope I have 3 units and need 12 o rings .Thank you Joe
  • crownvicfancrownvicfan Member Posts: 3
    R. Butler
    1954 N 190 E
    Orem, UT 84057
  • rsisnerosrsisneros Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Mercury Grand Marquis and the EATC module doesn't work correctly. My problem is that when I depress the off button, it moves the air down to the floor. Now the air conditioner works on vent, normal a/c and such, its just when we press the off button. The A/C never shuts off because the button doesn't work. Would replacing the O rings like in previous discussions solve the problem or is this something else?
  • lenrylenry Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    stock on low, stock on high? Do you mean stuck not stock?
    Do not resaturn contacts.. Does this mean resolder?

Just wondering, so I understand what you mean so I don't try the wrong approach.

My 2006 crown vic police interceptor won't switch back from heat no matter what I do and the check engine light is always on, the engine light was first and the error code later, which I forgot, indicates a slow leak in the system (not fuel leak) somewhere, the heat always on problem just happened, after I had the heat on for the first time this year.
  • fordexpertfordexpert Member Posts: 1
    The easiest (and cheapest) fix for only-hot-air is not to replace or even touch the blend door actuator which is usually the culprit, but use Ebay item 253244442681 to bypass the blend door action.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Easy-Fix-Blend-Door-Actuator-repair-1993-2011-Crown-Victoria-Grand-Marquis-kit/253244442681?hash=item3af68b8839:g:aXUAAOSwQcJZ~5Dp&vxp=mtr