Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Intrigue Transmission / Suspension Problems

13»

Comments

• tcarroll00tcarroll00 Member Posts: 3
    Well I have been "manual" shifting, but yes, between 3rd and 4th it is terrible. Yes I do have a check engine light on, and when i took it to be checked, the very condescending autozone employee was only too eager to say "its your torque converter" and couldnt offer any information on what to do. I took it to an independent shop who drove it and said that it was the tranny and they didnt touch them. So I'm kind of stuck, I wish i would have asked him the exact code but im fairly certain that its the P0742, by what he told me.

This is sheer ignorance talking, but would a transmission problem make a check engine light come on?

Yeah, I was never too worried about the oil consumption after reading a few posts.
    I just had no idea if it was a design flaw.

At the moment, I am thinking the worst, and if thats the case then I'll need a rebuild.

I will get the car scanned asap, and Ill post the exact codes. Thank You.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I would find a good transmission shop and have the torque converter replaced based on the independent shops diagnosis. Ask the indy shop if they can recommend a place.

here's a discussion on the P0742 code: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0fecb3/12
  • tcarroll00tcarroll00 Member Posts: 3
  • zenfmzenfm Member Posts: 10
    I own a 99 Intrigue that has recently reached 100,000mi. During the last month, the transmission started to shift roughly but only intermittently. It has since ran smoothly and I don't perceive any slippage. I went to a GM dealer who scanned the car and came out (after an hour) with the above codes. I was told the transmission needed to be opened for them to know exactly what repair was needed (at an expected cost of 800 $C). I visited another dealer who quickly said that all I needed was to replace the pressure control valve solenoid that is located on the side of the tranny. This is a 5 hour job that should solve the problem (expected cost of 800 $C). My usual mechanic also scanned the car, found the torque converter code. He concluded my transmission needed to be rebuilt at a cost of 1,700 $C. I also consulted with local tranny repair shops. You will not be surprised that they concluded to a full rebuilt. I am prepared to have the car repaired but I don't feel like rebuilding the tranny, if I don't have to, as I don't expect to keep the car for another 10 years. Could someone tell me if the Torque Converter Solenoid can be replaced without opening and dismantling the transmission or not ? I don't feel like spending 800 $C to replace a switch and then have to rebuild it a few months down the road. I have read the forum that goes back to 2005. Thanks to the contributors. :)
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    From everything I have rad on this forum and on another, you do not have to open up the transmission to replace the solenoid.

I would go with the dealer who suggested replacing the pressure control valve solenoid. This is a common problem with the Intrigue.
    Thank you for following up. I intended to go back to that dealer making sure that we are on the same page as this also being the solution to the Torque converter clutch circuit.
    I went back to the GM dealer earlier this week and was able to have a scan performed while the harsh shifting problem had showed up on the transmission. On top of the above code, they found code p0748 which seems to be another solenoid. He pulled out a bulletin and concluded that changing solenoid switches located on the side of the transmission would solve the problem. Is this only one solenoid causing all those codes ? From message #22, I read that the TCC solenoid was located in the valve body ( located inside the tranny ?). :confuse:
  • flickfflickf Member Posts: 4
    My 2000 olds intruige is doing the same thing, I also was hoping not to have it rebuilt, have you found out what the cause is yet ? It shifts fine when cold, but after warming up it starts shifting hard. If u can let me know so i can also try to have it fixed without multiple maint, visits and costs.
    my 2000 olds intrigue shifts hard after warming up, its fine cold, im trying to find out why its doing it, wondered if u found out anything on it. Ive had the transmission flushed and filter changed, didnt help, someone said something about maybe being a valve going out?? i just want to have what ever it is fixed without spending more than the cars worth.
    i have no error codes, so it may not be the same problem. it shifts hard after warming up ... thats it.. its been going on for 6 months. hoping to fix with tax return without spending a arm and leg.
    Ive just had the crankshaft sensor replaced, but the transmission shifts hard. When first starting out the transmission is fine, but after it warms up the thing shifts hard into most gears, there are no error codes, since it would have shown when they detected the crank shaft sensor. So my question is does anyone else have this problem and if so knows what to tell a mechanic to look for. I hope to avoid multiple shop visits and lots of cost getting it back to normal. Its been almost 6 months shifting hard. First thing i did was have the transmission flushed and filter changed, but it didnt help.
  • donp9donp9 Member Posts: 29
    My 2000 Intrigue GL started having the same problem back in Aug 08 at about 200M km (about 120,000 miles). It would sporadically hard shift between the first three gears. I decided to have a transmission flushed to hopefully clear the Pressure Control Solenoid which is usually the culprit. It seems to have helped somewhat as the problem is still sporadic - usually in the warmer months and only hard shifted a couple of times this winter - after sustained highway driving. I have found if it does hard shift i turn the engine off and after starting up again it goes away. Some times have to do this a couple of times at each occurence. Mileage is now at 250,000 kms. All the solenoids are contained within the transmission and the side case must be removed to access them. I have purchased all the variou solenoids and my mechanic is going to put them in next month. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • avrat1959avrat1959 Member Posts: 1
    Hey, you been driving my 98 Intrigue? Mine also makes a whining noise when this occurs. Yes, park the car, shut it off , pop the hood to cool things off, have a cigarette (optionally used as a timer), then be back on your way. Thanx for the very descriptive post on symptoms and solutions. I'm on my 2nd transmission in this car (the first one did this also) at 283,000 miles would like to get to 300k . This looks like the fix.
  • intrigued2intrigued2 Member Posts: 1
    I am noticing a common theme in the 2000 Oldsmobile Intrigues. Can anyone help me with the following clarification: Are the intermittent harsh upshifts a result of driving the vehicle hard? Are there other, more plausible explanations? Is it the case that these harsh upshift happen most frequently in the low gears, jumping to an erratic, unwanted much higher gear, say 2nd to 4th? Any information would be most helpful here. Thanks.
    Refer to my post #114 above. Most common culprit is the Pressure Control solenoid located inside the transmission side case. Tranny will harsh shift at 20, 40 and 60 kilometers per hour. Transmission flush may help in the short term however ultimately the PCS will need to be replaced. Had hoped to have had mine done by now however my mechanic has been busy. Hope to get to it this month. As mentioned when it happens if I'm able I pull over, shut off the car for a minute or so, restart and it usually goes away and may not reoccur for days or weeks. Ive noticed it is more prevalent in the summer when the outside temp is much higher.
  • billcarsonbillcarson Member Posts: 23
    has anyone tried a transmission cooler to try and prevent the harsh shifting?if this condition is accelerated during warmer months would'nt it help to keep the tranny cooler.i tried switching to synthetic transmission fluid and it seemed to help greatly as my car rarely does it now.
  • samantha_josamantha_jo Member Posts: 5
    will 235/70/16 tires fit on a 2002 intrigue?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    No, too big. Not recommended.
  • sunksunk Member Posts: 1
    After a crank sensor replacement your computer has to be programed to the new sensor. This will take a dealer or someone with the proper diagnostic equipment.
  • rdubluerdublue Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Intrigue gls. I got it at 35k from my dad. It now has 82k. Ever since I have had it I have experienced the hard shifting from time to time. Everytime I took it to a shop about this, I could not get it to repeat for the mechanic. Over time it has gotten worse. This weekend I thought the transmission was gonna fall in the road. For the first time, I had a check engine light w/ codes P0742A AND P1811C.
    I have taken it to a trans shop and their explanation is that the P0742A code is for a part that is supposed to help the transmission adapt to age. As it wears, this part increases the pressure of the fluid in the trans. The down side is that if there is damage inside the transmission, it does the same thing to the point that it then triggers the P1811C code which indicates that the Max Adapter & long Shift has hit its limit. He also described some sleeve inside that has worn down and several other parts that have been damaged with the continued use.
    Now the worn parts are being replaced and the transmission rebuilt $2200. With all of the complaints that are the same in this blog, it seems as though GM/Oldsmobile needs to step up with a recall or some compensation. What are your thoughts?
  • ohio3ohio3 Member Posts: 1
    I have had 2 (1999 & 2002) olds intrigues. The first one got to 100,000 miles & I started to have the same problem you experienced. That is if I shut off the car & re-started the harsh shifting was gone. I change the trans fluid & problem did not come back for a year. Then it was back & again I changed the fluid. By the time the car reach 190,000 miles the problem was showing up every few days, but would go away when you shut off the car. I did not have this care repaired.

My 2nd Olds now has 96,000 miles & I am experienceing the same problem but shifting in not as harsh compare to 1999 Olds.

My question to you is the problem the Pressure Control Solenoid or are there more than one Solenoid that affects the shifting in your tranny? You mentioned that you purchased the various solenoids did this correct your problem or was just Pressure Control Solenoid needed to be replaced? What other solenoids are involved? Please reply. Thanks
    It is my understanding that the main culprit in the harsh shifting is the pressure control solenoid. However just to be safe my mechanic suggested we replace all the solinoids as he didn't want to replace only the one, put evrything back together and find out the problem was still there. In addition to the pressure control solinoid we also replaced the pressure switch assembly, the 1-2 shift solenoid, the 2-3 shift solinoid and the input speed sensor. The work was done at 255,000 km (153,000 miles) and I now have 280,000 km (168M miles) and have had no more problems with the harsh shifting in either hot or cold driving (I live in Manitoba). I purchased most of the solenoids in the US and the total came to around $300.00. We did the work at my mechanics home in his garage and from start to finish took about 4.5 hours. To me it seemed like we took lots of things apart but to him it was no big deal or hard to do. Hope this helps
  • gangres473gangres473 Member Posts: 1
    I read with great interest the posts regarding harsh upshifts. I have experienced the same problem. When I turn my car off and on the problem goes away. This has been happening every so often for a year or so now. Recently, though, sometimes when I start my car I've noticed that there is a slight rev to the engine and when I put it into reverse (or drive) the shift is hard like it's idling too high. When it's in drive the engine sounds louder than usual. Sometimes this goes away. BUT, if I put the car in park or neutral the noise goes away. Also, if I start my car and it does not have that slight rev to it when it cranks, it runs fine.

Does this sound familiar to anybody?
  • mikecotemikecote Member Posts: 1
    hey donp9. my moms car seems to be starting to do the same thing. shifts hard from 1st to 2nd. just started and only does it sometimes. sounds like your mechanic knows what he's doing. i live in winnipeg where about in manitoba do you live? maybe he could have a look at since he seen this problem before. thanks my name is mike. you can email me at mikecote24@gmail.com thanks.
  • intrigue4intrigue4 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    My 2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue was recently bought a few months or so back. It has around 130,000 miles on it. About two days ago I started to hear a general thumping noise when accelerating. As I would accelerate to about 30-40 mph, the noise and shaking would start and get very bad. I had my Dad ride with me that night to see if he could determine what it was that was causing this, and he wasn't too sure what it could be. The next day, I drove my car to school. On my way back home, not only did it make a thumping noise but the car stopped accelerating and my RPMs would continue to go up. Eventually it died at the edge of a 4 way. We believe the transmission is shot. I cannot go in drive nor in reverse. And for some odd reason when we let it sit a while and cool off (if that's what it is doing, we're not sure) then it will be able to drive or go in reverse for a very short period of time.

(My question.)
    I was wondering if this would be relevant to my solenoids or if anyone else has had a similar problem and could help me out. Because we'd rather not have to buy a brand new transmission or have it installed for practically 2 grand. Thanks.
  • oldguy2000oldguy2000 Member Posts: 1
    Yes...i had simular problems with my tranny ...also with the flashers.....wat makes the flasher work besides the fuses is the hazard button...u need to slowly take out the heater vent right nex to it...the whole hazard button with the cruse control button comes out....now u can replace it if u want....but wat i do is i have the cover to the hazard button loose and not all the way on......when it just stops working.....take the plastic cover off and just wiggle the hazard button...the signals will come right back on....its really simple......remember...the actual hazard button itself is the signal too....its even wat makes the signals make the blinking noise... i know pritty much everything about the 2000 olds intrigue bc i love mine and have worked on it for 7 years...its a great car if u know how to maintain it properly....eric
  • krakekrake Member Posts: 4
    My wife delivers newspapers with this car so there's a lot of stop and go driving. Lately now after she gets through her first dozen or so stops, the car shakes and shudders and seems to be shifting too soon and going through the gears too fast. Once the car is at around 45 MPH or faster it's fine until you stop and go again. Seems to downshift fine.
  • thebuster2012thebuster2012 Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like a TCC solenoid issue. My car was doing the same exact thing, going through gears too quickly and shifting harsh. These solenoids are inside the side cover of the tranny which requires the sub-frame and transmission to be dropped. This is a 6 hour job with a lift and the proper equipment.
  • chuck0chuck0 Member Posts: 2
  • chuck0chuck0 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Intrigue that has a problem with the shift detent.

The Problem= I can pull the shift lever back from P thru R & N into D without using the detent release button on the side of the shift knob. This is a safety issue without the detent lockout.
    Pushing the lever in the other direction (forward) the detent works from D to N and is OK, not allowing an unintentional move to R.

Does this sound like a mechanical problem only? Maybe wear on a pin or detent surface?
    Thanks for any replies.
  • kobrien7kobrien7 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Oldsmobile Intrigue. It's such a great car but the last few months when I get to 40 mph to 55 mph it makes such a loud noise. Its doesn't vibrate that I can tell....just the noise (although you can feel it a little). My car still runs great...can't really tell somethings wrong except what you hear. Any idea what it could be? It's an automatic of course.
  • 01intrigue01intrigue Member Posts: 92
    Sounds like it could be a front wheel bearing. They go out after a while and can cause what you describe. It also could be when you are in low-RPM and fourth gear. One thing to test is to disable overdrive, and see if he noise is still there at those speeds. If yes, then it's likely a front wheel bearing. If not, then the tranny could be complaining. I'd reco getting the tranny fluid changed and its filter replaced.

And check again on your year, because the first Intrigue model year was 1998, and had the 3.8L V 6 in it.