Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Intrigue Transmission / Suspension Problems

Comments

• My husband manages an auto parts store and when he told the local GM dealer what was going on with my car, they told him what their GM Dealer manual said about cutting the wire for my 1999 Olds Intrigue. I don't know if this can be done for all years or just that one. The GM Dealer Manual for my year of car was what showed the color of wire and where it was located. It was one of the many wires that came out of the transmission I believe. I know that there was more than one wire of the color that we needed to cut, but only needed to cut one of them so it was kindof tricky in that respect. We don't have an actual GM Dealer Manual here at home otherwise I'd be glad to tell you if your year of car is in the same book, etc. Sorry I couldn't help more. :( But at least you know that the GM Dealer Manual is the place to find the information you need.

~Tracy
  • Thanks for you info ,I will call the dealer and see if they will give me that info.
  • I just replaced my sway bar just last week, it broke after hitting a deer. replacing the bar wasn't bad, finding it to purchase was a little tricky. A jack and a couple of jack stands to lift the cars front end is pretty much all you need, lift car high enough so bar doesn't hit the ground when removing & installing. 1/2" wrenches to get the bolts off & I forgot what size wrench it was to get the mounts off. I paid $105 for a new bar & I think the bolt with all the rubber grommets was about $15. I used the old mounts. All in all, it was pretty easy. Hope this helps
  • Thanks. A friend welded it for me. Mine was broken at the driver side link end. We were able to align and clamp it without removing it. The link bushing got a bit warm. He's a skilled welder, and did a nice neat job. Now, after about 2500 miles, it's still good. But you never know - your advice will come in handy if the weld breaks.
  • I have a 1998 Intrigue with over 150,000 miles on it. It has recently began to jump or stall or cut out or something at highway speeds. This started a few days ago, and then yesterday it did the same thing and the check engine light came on. I then pulled into a McDonalds and as I was making the turn at about 5 mph it seemed to shudder again. I immediately (drove it 2 miles), went to my shop to read the code. It showed up as PO742 torque converter circuit stuck on. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to fix this. I do not care about the fuel mileage as long as I can make it through this semester at school without spending a ton to fix it. I have not changed fluids or added any special lubricant. I am currently a mechanic but I work on very large diesel engines and a bunch of hydraulic equipment so I feel I can do it my self with a touch of guidance. I have read the other post and am wondering if I am a candidate for the wire clipping trick? Please tell me the tranny wont have to be opened.
    Thank You, Craig McBrain
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    Do a Google search on P0742 and you will find your answer.
  • google is the problem, I have searched and found like 50 different solutions for the same code. All are not on my specific vehicle and different so google is no help to me. I am sorry I was looking for more soecific info.
    Thanks
    The 1998 Grand Prix is very similar to your vehicle and is applicable. I believe the early Intrigues were based on the Grand Prix. Based the first result of my google search, I would say change the transmission fluid and try a bottle of LubeGuard that everyone recommends. if that does not work, then you'll have to go to a shop and have the proble further diagnosed. the web page I found had very detailed information on how to diagnose the problem.

Again, do a google search on "P0742".
  • tres_74tres_74 Posts: 16
    Check the Dealer Manual for your type and year of car. I have no idea if it will work for your car. You have to check there, since that's where we had been told to try the wire-clipping trick. If you have your own shop then maybe you can talk to your local GM Dealer's shop and just ask them about it, or if you can take a look at their dealer manual.

I haven't been able to find much on Google either, but then I'm not sure if I was searching for PO742 or P0742 (O vs. zero).

I still haven't noticed any change in my gas mileage either.

~Tracy
    Here's the link: http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl512b.htm

At the bottom of the question, the host has a link to Diagnosing the Torque Converter lockup. The 1998 Grand Prix GTP shares many of the same drivetrain components as the 1998 Intrigues.
  • I have a 2000 Olds Intrigue, Recently I had a PO742 Torque converter stuck on. I reset it with my code reader never came back on. although I still here a whining when on the freeway when in drive if I put the transmission in 3rd it goes away(whining). I have a vibration or shaking in the front end when giving it gas I have replaced the Tie rod ends do to the grease boots were busted out (didnt help) Rotated tires (didnt help), I dont believe its the alignment because it doest pull and coasts just fine any body have any Ideas. I am getting ready to change the Transmission filter and fluid. On my Chevy Suburban the torque converter seperated (dealer said)it felt like the U-joints were going out i thought(shaked/vibrated)wrong.It was under warranty the replaced the whole Transsmision.. I thought maybe it could be the same thing. Does anyone have any suggestions what it might be.
  • 2001 Intrigue. Sitting at light in neutral the engine is quiet even if the gas pedal is pressed. Switch it to DRIVE and a deep noise starts continues on acceleration and then seems to dissapear, any ideas. Have added lube special fluid to transmission, Could it be the muffler? Torque converter?
  • It could be the donut gaskets on the exhaust pipe. They can deteriorate and cause vibration when accelerating at slow speed, then go away. My mom-in-law had that issue on her old 1995 olds ciera.
    I know this has been a while but if you haven't fixed it yet, you may want to have a mechanic look at your wheel hub assembly. these are know to go on this vehicle.
  • mtrammtram Posts: 6
    I have a 99 Olds Intrigue 3.8, 150K miles. I have a couple things going on and I'm not sure either are related to one another. One thing is, it goes dead while driving without any notice. The dash lights flash then goes off, no service engine light or anything. This is pretty scary because when it happens you loose power steering! The car cranks right back up without any problems. When it first started happening, I tried to pay more attention to when it was happening. I first thought it was when I let off the accelerator. Now, it also happens on the highway going 65MPH! The other thing I have noticed is the transmission seems to shift hard at times. I havent noticed any noise and it doesnt seem to be slippage. I have considered getting the transmission fluid changed but I've heard horror stories about ppl having transmission problems afterwards. Service background: I faithfully change oil/filter every 3,000. Recently had new plugs AND replaced fuel filter.

I would appreciate any help or suggestion on the car doing dead thing and the transmission issue!

Thanks in advance,
    MTRAM
  • To give an update on my P0742 situation, since the wire-clipping last summer, I haven't noticed much of any lowering in my mpg (other than the past few weeks when I've been warming my car up for 15 minutes prior to driving it each morning).

However, the wire-clipping has proven to only be a temporary fix until what seems to be (for the Intrigue anyway) the inevitable rebuilding of the transmission. Within the past couple months, I no longer can completely rely on my car to go in the instances that I will "gun it" to get onto the highways, etc. It will whine in too low of a gear, and I have to let off the gas, and hope I'm not in the middle of a busy intersection. It doesn't die, but it's not as reliable. Not good in the dead of winter in the Midwest either. Therefore, we'll be getting it rebuilt within the next couple months (tax refund come quickly!).

~Tracy
  • mikey60mikey60 Posts: 1
    I don't have answer for you, but I am wondering if you ever found out what the cause was for the engine stalling. My daughter has the same car and the same problem. She's also hauling around 3 kids (one an infant) and we live in MN so its a real problem right now during the winter!
  • indrgbindrgb Posts: 115
    Regarding the sudden stalling, I have seen a lot of postings about this. Most of them say it's the ignition switch. It's never been a problem in mine, but others have said their car would die suddenly and then start right up.
    NO, I have not resolved the problem. I'm to the point of wanting to trade it in but I dont want the new car payment. I know exactly how you feel and your concerns for your daughter being stranded somewhere. I am a single parent and it is a constant worry for me. Not to mention the danger of losing the power steering, etc.
    Okay need some advice. We'll be getting money soon to fix the transmission on my car - - which we estimate will be $500-$1000. Now we're having 2nd thoughts. I still owe about $1200 on the car, and we're wondering if we should spend this kind of money on the car if perhaps it will still have big issues down the road. I've been searching the forums to see how people fared after fixing their tranny issues and I can't find a darned thing. Not sure if I'm not looking in the right places, or if happy people with happy intrigues aren't posting anything about their happy trannies.

So my question is, is this car doomed even IF I get the tranny fixed? Because it's starting to have issues again and it's either needing to get fixed very soon or traded off (even though I'd love to avoid a new car payment if at all possible since I'm so close to paying it off).

Thank you in advance,
    ~Tracy
    I don't remember what year or how many miles you have on the Intrigue but if you are over 100k miles, you'll be lucky to get over $2000 on trade. No dealer in their right mind will give fair book value for an out of production, low demand car.

If everything else is working in the car fine, I would fix the car. You are looking at $2200 in repairs and payments to get free which is not a lot of money. Hopefully you can get another year out of the Intrigue without a major problem which will make the repair worthwhile. then you can save for a down payment on a new car if something else major happens.

I have not heard of any other issues with the transmission.
    Sorry for the late response...

I have a 1999 Olds Intrigue GX with 128,000 miles on it.

And this is the only thing, besides general maintenance and wear and tear, that has given problems for this car. A good drive otherwise.

I would prefer to keep it and drive all I can out of it, especially because, like you mention, no car dealership will give me what it's really worth, even if I have it fixed. Usually in the past experiences I've had, they'll usually give you MAYBE $500-$1000 for the trade-in if it's that old. And Intrigues seem to be for sale EVERYWHERE around here too, so not really a hot commodity.

I really appreciate your honesty, thanks for your help!

~Tracy
  • I have a 1999 Olds Intrigue with 133,000miles. There has been an oil leak but Im not sure if it has anything to do with this problem. The car just stop moving one day at a stop light. As soon as I push the gas it said "NO" and we were stuck at the light. It was making a LOUD, VERY LOUD grinding sound. None of the gears work, not P,R,N,D,2,or 1. I have to put on parking brake for car to stay still. What should I do, salvage and move on or fix??? some said it might just be the drive shaft?? :cry: :confuse:
    My suggestion is run it into the ground. You should get another 50k miles out of this car. Of course you have to do some repairs but what I found is if you do some searching on the internet, most of the problems are known with the Intrigue. Minus a full blown transmission, most of the repairs are fairly reasonable and some you can do yourself if you are handy under the hood.
    I would definitely get it diagnosed. Depending on the diagnosis, cost of the repair and your personal finances, you can decide if it is worth it or start shopping around. If it is not an expensive repair, get it fixed but start saving for another car.
    Well a couple weeks ago we took the car in to a small-town tranny shop who'd had rave reviews no matter where we turned - - and $1200 and a fully rebuilt transmission later, my car runs as my husband put it, "like an animal". It runs great, there must have been a lot of tranny issues that I just got used to because they came on gradually or something because it runs 200% better than it has in a LOOONNNNG time.

I'll have this car paid off by the end of this year, and I fully intend on just running it til it doesn't run anymore. After all, from my experiences with this car as well as what I've read online, the tranny is about the only major issue with this car and that's been taken care of. I've got a 1 year warranty on this rebuilt tranny so that's even better.

Thanks for all your advice and help. (And yes, thankfully my husband is able to do most everything as far as car repairs.)

~Tracy :)
  • carsrfun2carsrfun2 Posts: 3
    I would say you either have a problem with the Alternator or the ignition control Module (ICM) !!! It could be a misfire I have a 99 GLS 3.5 V6 and have had a 2 sensors replaced and the alternator!! Take it to a reputable mechinc I recomend ASE Master Techs!! Or Napa/ chevron shops!!
  • carsrfun2carsrfun2 Posts: 3
    I have a 99 intrigue with the 3.5L engine and I have a problem between 35-45 mph where it shifts really hard( you can feel it it almost feels like it misses 3rd. If you floor it, it will shift again at 60 mph really hard! Then I have a problem with a very high idol sometimes it idols as high has 3,000 RPM. Any ideas or any one have the same problem??
    I had the voltage on the battery and alternator check and it checked out fine. Also had a new starter and battery cables put in a week ago. After talking to several shops, my next try is the ignition control module. I'm told that the starting and going dead issue are two symptoms of the ICM going bad. Is there a way to check the ICM to be certain it is that before I pour more $$$ in to this car?

The problem I was having with the hard shifting is fixed. I had new plugs and wires put in and the car is running great with more power than ever. if the dang thing would crank and not go dead while driving I may get another 100K miles. The crazy thing is...it's so random. It may crank on the first try for 3-4 days then not crank.
  • My Olds had the same problem for a couple of years. I recently found out it is the "Crankshaft Position Sensor". That part of my car is fixed... I have 127k miles and just now having to replace motor mounts and possibly a transmission.

Just checking this site to see if anyone is having the transmission problem with the 3.5 ??. :confuse: