Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Intrigue Heating and Cooling

13»

Comments

• vintagevic1vintagevic1 Member Posts: 1
    Ok. got my new...old '99 intrigue with 48 k mi on it for 4 grand. Thought it was a decent deal but who knows since a "deal" is associated with good functionality.
    My a/c unit works nicely, but what doesnt seem to work is the outside air duct when i put it on, all i get is cold a/c air coming circulating. Im running around with full a/c on all the time when all i want is just outside air.
    Heard it might be a relay switch. Any helpful knowledgeable comments?
    Thanks.
  • dirkdaddydirkdaddy Member Posts: 313
    On risk of sounding daft, Have you familiarized yourself with the operation of the climate control? On "auto" the AC is on all the time even in winter to "condition" or lower humidity in the air its cooled and heated (if needed warmer). The compressor runs all the time, unlike other cars it doesn't' cycle it has a variable capacity compressor. "ECON" setting runs w/o AC compressor, unless you're using a defrost mode. what modes are you using?
  • femdriverfemdriver Member Posts: 2
    I am happy to report that when my mechanic replaced my ignition (completely) I have had no further electrical problems. I still have a problem with the left side air registers being warmer than the right side.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Congrats! That ignition switch causes a lot of problems. The second problem is either the blend door being stuck or low a/c refrigerant. Do a search on the main Intrigue forum and you should find plenty of posts on this problem.
  • westertonwesterton Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2010
    I am not really THAT auto-mechanically inclined so bare with me...

I have a 1998 Old Intrigue 3.8L and everything regarding climate control, cruise control, etc has been working perfectly fine until this spring.

In this spring 2010, I noticed that my a/c compressor was not kicking on when I would press the a/c button on the control panel which was weird (everything worked fine last year). Over time, things have generally gotten extremely worse..

-AIR FLOW DIRECTION: I have no control over fan direction. None of the climate control lights seem to work when you press any of the options. Including rear defrost.

-FAN: The fan blows if the fan speed is at full blast ONLY and usually when you set the fan speed it takes 2-5 minutes for the fan to even start blowing. Plus it seems to be blowing through all directions, as it will not let me select any specific air flow.

-HEADLIGHTS: At night when driving, my headlights will only work when the fan is on (like mentioned before is only on full blast) if I lower the fan speed to anything else other than full blast, my headlights go out but the yellow driving lights stay on. I then turn it back to full blast, drive around with no headlights for a few minutes waiting for the fan to kick back on, then my headlights will turn on.

-BUTTON LIGHTS: Originally the a/c light would come on when you push the button, but now the a/c light doesn't even work. The rear defroster worked when the a/c light worked but now that light does not work at all and cannot turn on either. The only button lit is the 'fresh air intake' button but nothing else is on and you cannot select anything else. I also noticed that the 'fresh air intake' light flickers when switching the fan speeds from one to another. Also the backlit lights for the climate control still work.

-Heat: The heat seems to still come through the vents when I turn up the temp but I would assume that is mostly engine heat coming through so I dont know for sure if the heat core(?) is still working or not because of all these other climate controlled issues.

-CRUISE CONTROL: The cruise control button light on the dash still stays lit when pressed but when I try to set a speed the green light that says 'Cruise' on my dash flicks on for half of a second and never fully engages. So whatever this problem is, is affecting my cruise control also.

I did however change my stock cd/tape deck for an aftermarket cd player this spring because I had a stinkin tape adapter stuck...but I'm pretty knowledgeable on how to install those. Plus they make it pretty fool proof to install those with all the wiring harnesses so no wire cutting is required. I just hope I didnt cause anything because of it. Plus the cd player functions perfectly fine!

In the beginning of this spring these issues were intermittent and just gradually got worse, but now they are happening more often or its not working at all..I did read many of these forum posts and I would assume that it may have something to do with the Ignition Switch because I am having some of the same or related issues.

Any ideas?
  • ctdunnaganctdunnagan Member Posts: 8
    it is on the drivers side where the ac lines connect and it is in the tube towards the fire wall .. kind of a pain to get to with those big wrenches... It was easy for me i had the motor out >>>
    anyone interested I totaled my Intrigue, the right side is crap but interior and left side is great , I have 6 chrome wheels for it and the airbags did not deploy... anyone interested in the parts feel free to contact me on here and we will work out the details .. btw the vehicle is in burlington nc
  • husky21husky21 Member Posts: 2
    For a while now my ac/heat display panel has been working and then it will just go dead, but recently it has not even been lit up. Its getting much cooler outside now and it is very frustrating to not have any heat on a cold day. When the panel goes dead, i am not able to turn the fans on and nothing will work. Anyone who has a clue with what might fix this?
  • smartguy2smartguy2 Member Posts: 2
    I'm having the same issue. I have an 2002 intrigue. Let me know if you find anything.
  • zandszands Member Posts: 1
    Can someone please help me? I have an oldsmobile intrigue 2000, the driver and passenger can each control their own heat but when i turn the heat on the driver side will blow hot air but the passenger side won't, it just blows cool air even when adjusting the separate temperatures. The heated seats on the passenger side wont work either, i was told that it was an actuator that needs to be changed, but i was also told it could be the heater core. What is my problem here.
  • deponzideponzi Member Posts: 4
    I have a 99 Olds intrigue the AC switch on the dash goes on and then goes off. And I noticed the button with the orange light is very warm or hot to touch .
    Where do I start to fix this problem ? I was going to replace the switch in the dash.
    Thought I would ask here first.
    Thanks
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    It likely is the actuator and a common problem. Do a search on this forum and you'll find several discussion

Also here's a discussion on a different forum that may help:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=951142&highlight=actu- ator
    Thanks for the tip. I will look in my manuals and try to find and replace the ACTUATOR . Do you know where its located ?
    Also thanks for the great link
    Mark
    There are 3 actuators . Thats what the dealer said when I called for one.
    Any ideas which one maybe my problem.
    the first two were a
    1. mode
    2 . temp
    3. i forgot the last one
    edited October 2010
    The 4 actuators I found are
    1. mode
    2. air Inlet
    3. temperature
    4. Defroster

My guess would be to replace the mode actuator . And let me add that is just a guess.
    Some help here would be great on which one is my problem.
    Mark
  • smartguy2smartguy2 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a new ignition switch and that sloved all my problems.
  • jay1969jay1969 Member Posts: 1
    My 99 Oldsmobile Intrigue the Heating only work on Defroster and blow luke warm air , all the other vent blow cold air out Please Help me and my Kids
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Sounds like a "blending door" problem. These little doors divert air this way and that according to what you select on the instrument panel controls. These doors are controlled by vacuum hoses that are activated by either your heater or defroster solenoid. So you could have a loose vacuum line, a broken actuator, or a defective solenoid.
  • guyiknow1guyiknow1 Member Posts: 1
    my a/c/heat control has been intermitently going dead but when i jiggled the ignition key it would start up again but now it is completely dead what could be the problem where the key goes in or fuses?
  • 01intrigue01intrigue Member Posts: 92
    Many folks have had troubles resolved by replacing the Ignition Switch. See ">posting 121 above. It seems they go bad on the intrigues.
  • pete14pete14 Member Posts: 11
    Try flooding the switch with WD-40 and moving it through the positions a couple of times. This has worked for me over the past year.
    Great to hear! I will give it a shot and see what happens.
    hey the ignition switch may be the problem.. if you need a switch or even the ac control module contact me 336 260 9027 if you need used parts.. i totaled mine but those parts are great and the switch is only about a month old... btw i am a mechanic ..
    Victory!

It actually was the ignition switch that fixed most of the small electrical problems I was having.

I have to wait for the weather to get a little warmer to check if the A/C works. Weird thing is I turned on the A/C and didnt hear the compressor kick on so I may be just be out of freon... or its just still too cold outside for me to tell a difference.

ctdunnagan- I appreciate the info, and I may contact you if i need anything to see what parts you have.
  • 99oldsindv99oldsindv Member Posts: 1
    Well i have the same exact problem as #29. my ac only blows hot air and the a/c dash light blinks and doesn't stay on. now a while back i refilled with freon and it cooled like a new car for an hour or so. i just wanna know if i did all that could it still be the compressor, clutch or maybe just the diode? also where can i get the diode if needed?
  • tiffer420tiffer420 Member Posts: 7
    Does the AC Bypass Pulley not exist for the 99 Olds Intrigue 3.5? My AC Compressor is siezed so I was going too throw in the bypass pulley but I can't find it for a 3.5 ANYWHERE. Can find the 3.8 but not mine.....without it I'm pretty well screwed....
  • rm64rm64 Member Posts: 1
    How much is an ignition switch run?
  • kdsgrammykdsgrammy Member Posts: 2
    My air conditioner and heater blows out all the vents at one time .. the mode button shows to be changing but it doesn't .. how can I fix this?
  • fbuehnerfbuehner Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Intrigue GL with Climate Control and after spending $400 on mode actuators, fan resistor switches, and an electric vacuum unt, it was the damn ignition switch. That beyond my ability or fear factor to replace myself.
    Now A/C and cruise control are back to normal.
    Same story, shop initially said ignition switch could not cause these issues-well they had to take that back but at a $500 bill to diagnose and changeout.
  • dcanfielddcanfield Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2011
    i recently replaced the ignition box in my intrigue and the heat / ac / heated seats do not work at all could it be the heater switch
  • soccer18soccer18 Member Posts: 2
    I hope this helps some one out because I spent a lot of time to solve my problems. 1999 Oldmobile Intrigue GL 3.8L. It started out with the lights going out on the climate control. Sometimes they would come back on. It just depended on the day. Sometimes the fan worked and sometime it didn't. I checked fuses but found nothing that did not look correct. I took it to a repair guy and he told me that the climate control unit was broken. New from GM was $860+. I bought a used one on E-Bay for under $100 but it did exactly the same as the one I had in the car. Also over the past couple of months the cruise quit working. The automatic headlights quit coming on. One electrical issue after the next. I started reading the Edmunds forum and I noticed a few other people found a faulty ignition switch. The local parts stores had the ignition swith in stock for $90. I installed this myself and it fixed all my problems. I have cruise, lights, heat, etc. ALL OVER AN IGNITION SWITCH. Sorry for being long winded but I hope this saves someone some money and time.
  • gwensbgwensb Member Posts: 5
    I have the same problem but I replaced my ignition switch and it work for awhile, now it's works whenever it wants too. So what now, another ignition switch.
  • soccer18soccer18 Member Posts: 2
    I replaced my ignition switch at the end of October. So far so good. I did buy new and not a used one from a scrap yard. Did you buy new?
    It is also possible for you to check by the fuses to make sure you still have 12 V to the fuses. That is what causes the problems is a voltage drop. Hope that helps. Good luck.
    I did buy a new igintion switch. I will see about the voltage thing. How do you check it? It's cold and a heater would be nice.
    I replaced my igintion switch and it fixed it for months and now it's back to not working. So, what should I do now?
  • car4ditcar4dit Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2012
    My 1999 Intrigue had the automatic headlights stop working a few weeks ago one evening, then a few days later I noticed no more cruise control, then the heater control unit would go dark and sometimes just stop working completely after traveling a few miles, but never staying on for more than 5 miles or so. I called the dealer maintenance shop, said they would charge $98 just to look at it! So I read the posts on this forum. I bought a new ignition switch for $87.99 and today my neighbor (a Honda mechanic) spent 2 hours replacing the switch (he charged me only $80). I've since taken 2 drives for > 10 miles after dark... the headlights come on all by themselves, the cruise control works again, and the heater stayed on, and even responded to the buttons I pushed. I am so thrilled! Thanks so much to those of you that posted your issues here for people like me to read and TOTALLY solve my problem. You guys are great! My mechanic neighbor was skeptical, but admits that it worked.
  • cab434cab434 Member Posts: 2
    Im gonna take your word for it car4dit I have oll the same problems 1998 Intrigue. I have spent more than a year with vent problems. Headlight problems. Cuise problems. I will post
    after I buy and install my new ignition.
    I replaced my ignition switch, too. I still have the same problem. It only worked for 4 months then it went back to crazy again. Now one size is cold while the other is hot. I hot wire the ground wire and I get hot and cold. I don't see replacing the switch again.
  • kdsgrammykdsgrammy Member Posts: 2
    I just need do know how to fix the.mode on the AC so that you can change which vent the air.or heat comes out of.HELP!!!
    I don't know how to tell you that. My comes out cold on one side and hot on the other side. So I can't run my ac cause it blows hot air on the driver side but cold on passenger. I'm out $1000.00 already. My brother, that's a mechanic in Texas said he has never seen that problem before. That's why I have hot wire the ground. It's on but cold and hot. My quit coming on after I paid $1000.00 to fix it. I wish I knew. Sorry!
  • gparduegpardue Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Intrigue GLS, 3.8 liter, I love my car other than the a/c dont work. The light for the a/c will not come on when pressed, neither does the light to pull in air from the outside. When you press the button to recicurlate air from inside the cabin, it will come on. When you adjust the the temp on the drivers, it will show the temp going up or down, but the passager will not. The heat works GREAT!!! Both the defrosters work, and the lights come on when pressed. Can someone please help!!!
  • cab434cab434 Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2012
    I changed my ignition switch.........
    And I cant believe it...! My cruise control and air conditioner vents
    work nomal again. And the Air is no longer cold on one side and
    hot on the other. And it now blows good.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Woohoo! I'm happy for you that the ignition switch fixed the A/C problem, especially now that it's getting hot. Thanks for coming back to share the solution.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• dylanjadylanja Member Posts: 1
    Hi I was reading your post on the Oldsmobile intrigue forum as had a question my cruise control is not work which I'm not to worried about but the cruise light stays on and will change the ac vents which is very frustrating if I give the dash a good hit the ac goes back to the designated vents but It keeps doing it any idea what to do? I could really use some help
  • moogmoog Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 had a bad ignition switch. It was a pain to change for someone with big hands. Apparently this is a widespread issue with these cars.
  • thor52879thor52879 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 98 Intrigue from my father. Cruise control doesn't work, AC/heat doesn't work and air flow won't change from floor to dash or defrost, brake light just came on and won't go off, etc. I am going to change the ignition switch but I want to buy the correct part. Do you happen to have a link to the part I need? When I type ignition switch into Advance Auto or NAPA there are several different parts that come up. Any help would be appreciated.