Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo C70 Convertible Top Problems

Comments

• I just discovered same problem. Have you been able to determine if glass can be glued.
  • I have a 1999 C70 which got stuck in the same position as yours a couple of days ago. If you have solved your problem I woud really like to know. The next available time in the Volvo workshop is 1 month away and then it is getting to cold to drive. Rgds,Per
  • bobparisbobparis Posts: 28
    I bought my 2007 C70 in May 2007. Had occasion to drive with my son out of the city to see the meteor shower a few weeks ago. Was on the freeway, late at night with few other cars. Seemed as if the Xenon headlamps only lit-up about 15 - 20 feet ahead of the car. At highway speeds this isn't enough coverage, so if there was no oncoming traffic I would temporarily turn-on the high beams. Thought it might be "me" since I am not getting any younger and have friends who hesitate driving at night because of their vision but my son commented on how dark the road was and so did my wife a few nights later. Has anyone else had a similar situation and can the headlamps be adjusted so that they are aimed slightly upward? All of my other cars had "normal" headlamps and have never had this problem. Otherwise, the car has performed well with no defects or dealer adjustments necessary. Bob
  • I have same problem, have you found anyone who could repair/glue window back in place. Thanks
  • I fixed the problem myself. There is no reset button on the right arm on the rear cover of the convertible. To reset you have to unplug the socket of electrical cables on the right coverarm. After doing that it worked properly again. The Volvo workshops I visited had no idea of how to fix it. I visited 3 of them. None of them had any experience of Volvo Conve´rtibles.
  • I just purchased a '99 C70 a week ago and this exact problem with the top stopping mid-way has happened already. Couple of questions:

1. Is this a frequent occurrence?
    2. When you say right coverarm, is that on the top itself or the hard tonneau or the small "flaps" forward of the tonneau?

Also...I have had a couple of issues with the Engine, ABS, and STC lights coming on intermittently - any suggestions?

Thanks!

Don
  • Folks,
    I had my top stop going up the other day and ended up having to use the manual operation to close it down. The problem now is that the alarm is going off every time I drive and the light flashes on the button that raises and lowers the roof. I took it to the dealer yesterday and was told that the mechanic that deals with the convertible was out and that I was looking at not being able to service it for 3 days (when he has the next open time to look at it) in the mean time I am dealing with the constant ding ding ding going off while I am driving. HELPPPPPPPPP any ideas on how to disable the alarm until I can get in to service it?????? or "reset" the alarm??????
  • Silly me where is the right arm on the rear cover? and is this for a soft top model???
  • EXACTLY WHERE IS THE SWITHCH IS IT IN THE DOOR OR IN THE COVER ARM IN THE BACK SEAT OR IS IT IN THE CONVERTIBLE WELL AND LIKE A COMPUTER YOU NEED TO UNPLUG IT AND WAIT 30 SECONDS AND RE PLUG IT??? WAS THE IGNITION SWITCH ON OR OFF??
    FROM ALL THE QUESTIONS IN THE FORUM IT SEEMS LIKE AN ONGOING PROBLEM ON THESE CARS
  • It is not a switch or reset button or anything like this. It is just an electrical socket that connects to a microbraker switch that you have to unplug. And I guess it works more or less like a computor as you said. I unplugged it and waited a minute or two and then connected it again. Then everything worked fine. I think I had the ignition turned off, but I don't remember for sure. I normally never mess with electricity with the electricity turned on, so I guess it was turned off.

It is located on the right mechanical arm that opens and closes the lid that covers the soft top when you drive with the top down. It is only accessible when you have the soft top halfway up/down, which often is the case when it stops working. You reach it standing at the side of the car just behind the right rear seat.
  • tim15tim15 Posts: 10
    My glass separated from the top within a week of buying the c70. It also got stuck in the midway position. I manually closed it, and found a shop that used a special sealant applied under heat. So far, it is holding. Cost $300.00. I'm going to look for the harness under the right cover, and hope it resets itself. Otherwise, it's off to the dealer!
  • Thanks can you tell me who did this and phone # so that I call call them Thanks
  • Hi,

I just got a 2001 Volvo C70 convertible and had no issues for the first month or so.
    Went through car wash with no problems and I had no leaks until it started really rain around here!
    Now I have a leak on the passenger side. The glass window doesn't seem to 'seal' all the way (and I noticed a 'wind' sound while driving on the highway around 70mph on that side of the car) with the car frame, the window is all the way up though!

I'm guessing the rubber trim around the door is old and not flexible anymore so it leaves some space in between the window and the frame, any idea on how to fix this?!

Also any special instructions on how to protect the top (I don't own a garage and I have to leave the car outside all the time!).

One last question does anyone know of a 'repair' manual for this car with full details?

Thank you
    Best regards
    David
  • Did you ever get an answer to this issue with the alarm telling you the top is open when it's closed? It happens with my C70 whenever is it wet or very cold outside. My local Volvo dealership is telling me it will be $975 to replace the main position switch and rear latch potentiometer.
  • NOT REALLY BUT I TRIED CRANKING IT MANUALLY TO CLOSE IT TIGHTER TO THE WINDSHIELD AND THAT DID SOP THE ALARM??!!
  • Hello all.

1999 C70 Turquoise Pearl. Bought new and have enjoyed it until recently. It always had irritating problems but the beauty, okay I forgave it countless times. Now, during a rain (heavy or not) my rear catches water like a basin. Yesterday the trunk had accumulated about 2" of rain and after drying it out, I covered the beast. Today, with no more rain, I still have water sloshing around underneath and can't find it nor prevent it. My mechanic has said it is just Volvo, but for 6 years not a drop.

Could it be related to the top?

Crafty3
  • I purchased a wood grain steering wheel from the dealer. Try that.

Crafty3
  • Hi
    We are having the same problem with the headlights, and we live on the very dark at night Oregon coast. We have asked the dealer to adjust the headlights twice, and have been told they meet specs. I am wondering if you have had any luck fixing the problem?

Thanks!
  • It took 2 trips to have them properly adjusted. I talked to the service manager each time who was very helpful. If you are being "stonewalled" at the dealer, contact Volvo USA and ask them to have their factory "trouble-shooter" contact your service manager to advise on the procedure. It is ridiculous that a "fine" car has headlights that do not light up the road unless the owner request that they be "adjusted." Best of luck!
  • I'll be driving with my roof closed on my 2007 and out-of-the blue the warning beep will start with the message along the lines of "Stop Safely - Roof Can Be Damaged." The roof is closed but the car thinks it is open. Have driven directly to the dealer twice when this has happened while the beep and message is displayed and they are stumped. Opening and closing the roof "resets" the system, but a few days later it starts again. Has anyone had this happen?