Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac DeVille Climate Control

2»

Comments

• bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Yes, if the sensors see high/low pressure, it will not allow the compressor to turn on.

If you could find the places on the internet giving you instructions, you can display and reset the error codes from the buttons on the dash.

If you can't do this, you call pull the negative battery cable for a minute and this will reset the error codes. Then, have your freon hoses all hooked up before you restart the car, and you might be able to turn the AC system on and suck in enough freon before it resets the code. Might have to do this a couple of times to get enough freon in to stop setting the codes. Of course, this assumes you only have a leak and the rest of the AC system works ok.

No idea about the fan.
  • fveaces1fveaces1 Member Posts: 1
    1993 cadillac devile 4.9 liter climate control and fuel data only shows a "c" on the displays. I've check the BCM, clusters, relays, fuses, temp. sensor, replaced alternator and still the same results. The blower moter runs until you turn the key to the off position. The continuous power to the interior when key is turned off no longer works meaning when I turn the key to the off position I loose all power in the car where it normally stays on for 10 minutes. Is there anyone out there who may have had this problem with their Cadillac and if so how did you solve this problem?
  • miamifanmiamifan Member Posts: 1
    My 98 deville seems to have a mind of its own, it sometimes not always will start what appears to be the fan after the car has been shut off for 20-30 mins. It is random I never know when its going to happen. I always shut the air off fully before the care is turned off. funny thing is it sounds like the fan but when you get inside there is not air coming out of the vents. You have to put key in ignition turn it where all dash lights come on etc... then turn off and the fan goes off.
    what is this??? its scary so far has only happened at home in my garage door is open every time but I wonder if it will happen in the parking lot at work or store whatever car only has 58K miles on it.
    Help!!!!!
    There are a couple of possibilities, and I don't remember if either or neither are common to your 98.

-The connector that feeds power to the fan fails. It doesn't make good contact or something, overheats, and basically somewhat melts. This contact is under the hood, near the firewall, on the passenger side.

-On some years, the controller module that controls the fan speed fails in a certain way. When it fails, it will turn the fan on, even if the ignition is totally turned off. This module is inside, behind the glove compartment, on top of the air box.
  • pkiddpkidd Member Posts: 1
    hi i have a 1990 caddy with the same problem fuel gauge shows a[c]and climate control shows a [c] hope you can help thanks peggy and keith
  • neptinepti Member Posts: 1
    My relative has the exact same problem on a 1993 deville with 100000 miles. Anyone with sugestions where to start looking?
  • sappysucker1sappysucker1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Deville with this same problem; when I start the car with the A/C on there is this tick, tick, tick sound for about 30 seconds comming from the area just behind the HVAC control module and then the blower comes on and blows cold air on the floor, however no air comes out of the dashboard a/c vents.
    After completely dismantleing the interior and removing the Instrument panel I've traced my problem to an actautor but cannot get it to make the tick, tick, tick sound again. I want to replace it but having trouble removing the old one and cannot find a parts store that carries the part. I'm afraid there is an electrical connector disconnected that is preventing me from getting it to make the ticking sound but if I put it all back together without replacing the actuator, bingo. Any sugesstions, when I connect enough connectors to get the blower to work it blows air out of the right vents.
  • mrelectricitymrelectricity Member Posts: 4
    I had my 90 Deville a/c serviced today, but the air is blowing cool not cold. The compressor kicks on for like 10 seconds and turn off for like a minute then back on for 10 seconds. There are no error codes, what controls the compressor cycling that would not trip a error code?
    Sounds to me like it's still a little low on freon.
    No the freon charge is good.
    I cant figure this out, the a/c was properly serviced the feon level is good (i measured it my self) but the electric climate control keeps switching to econ. I checked the codes by holding off & warmer buttons and there r no ff codes. But if i disconect the battery and reconnnect it, the a/c is real cold for a few minutes then the air gets less cooler to about half an hour later or so the a/c switchs to encono mode. It has to be something electrically in the system. But i can not find schematics to troubleshoot it with does anyone have any? Also when the compressor is working it is cycles on (10 seconds) & off (30-60 seconds) if its like 105 outside & inside I have it set to 60 degrees on auto shouldnt the air compressor run continously? I know the a/c on my olds 2000 sillhoutte runs non-stop when enaged so shouldnt the caddy be the same way? Please i need expert advice?
    Can i jumper the a/c relay to force the compressor to run non-stop?
  • cad93cad93 Member Posts: 1
    I need a Fan Module for a 93 Cadi. Deville
  • sappysucker1sappysucker1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a brand new (outa-no-where) really simple problem with my 2001 Deville climate control that is driving me nuts. The climate control system is working properly, however every time I get into the car I have to turn it off first, and then turn it on again for it to work. Anybody ever have that problem with a Caddy climate control? Help
  • uranuxuranux Member Posts: 1
    mrelectricity, just wondering if you ever figured this out. I just bought a '90 deville and am having the exact same problem. The freon is charged and the a/c blows cold after a battery disconnect/reconnect but eventually it sends me to econ and doesn't give a fault code on the ECC.
  • bluebombbluebomb Member Posts: 1
    :( My 93 DeVille's climate control doesn't seem to work properly. The blower blows all the time and I am not able to use any of the buttons on the control board. Could this be just a fuse or the whole module. Also, where is the module located? At this time I really don't want to spend alot of money but with Winter just around the corner I will need heat in the car and right now only cold is blowing. Can someone help me out?
    Thank you
  • fraliexfraliex Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue. I seemed to narrow it down to when the blowers don't come one I just open and shut my passenger door hard. Then it comes on, and stays one for a while with even multiple startups after. We attempted working in the Fuse box since it is also on the passenger side but seemed tapping on the fuses and relays didn't help. But sure enough just shutting the passenger door hard it would come one right away. Let me know if you ever found out any solutions on this issue....
  • curtwill2curtwill2 Member Posts: 1
    My 96 Sedan DeVille Climate control system will notstay in Auto Mode. It will only operate in the Econ Mode. The Auto Mode lights up when I push the button but immediately switches back to Econ mode when I take my finger off the button
    You've got an Air Conditioner problem. In Auto mode, the AC is running. In Econ mode the AC is turned off.

There are 2 or 3 sensors in the AC lines that sense high pressure, low pressure, high temp (not exactly sure of these, but these are generally what is being checked). These conditions are usually set when the freon is low. If any of these sensors detect out-of-range conditions, they send a signal to the 'computer', and the computer will NOT allow the AC to be turned on. And it turns the display to Econ, AC off.

Fix your AC system.
  • vicgoovicgoo Member Posts: 11
    Hi i have a 96 sedan deville with a blower problem.First time it happened i replaced the blower motor,searched and found cheapest on ebay for $91 and problem was corrected,that time blower just stopped working and never worked again until i replaced it.This time it started as speeds being erractic then it stops and goes back on again.Now it either not blow at all or at low speed.I was told to try a/c programmer-a box behind right side of dash-it did not corrected problem and i don,t want to throw anymore parts until i know the exact reason!Anyone have ideas?
    A problem with cars of this age is the wiring for the blower or control module overheats at a connector. The connector might be under the hood, but I'm not sure. The connector overheats so much it no longer makes good connection and the blower stops working. I think there is a 'fix' package, where you cut out the old connector and patch in a different, new one.
    I checked and found only 1 connector-a 3 wire black connector going to blower motor,checked and does not look overheated or burned,checked volts with a fluke meter-red wire-13v-batt volts,black-ground,has good ground,gray-.021v,found diagram for circuit,gray comes from programmer,checked at programmer-has same reading .021v
    I think you've found the correct connector. If it's not overheated looking, it probably isn't your problem.
    I found the problem-it was the blower motor gone bad again,fortunately they warrantied it -was 2 months old!Got a hold of a GM tech 2,checked blower control from programmer on data screen-the percentage corresponds to moving the fan speed button as directedFound out the gray wire is a class 2 data circuit and voltage reading don,t mean anything
  • ronniebatronniebat Member Posts: 1
    My feet and the top of my head are cold but I am getting NO air coming out of the middle vents; it also DOES blow in the back seat. When I first start the car the sound that comes out of the middle vents is "tick, tick, tick, etc" for about 4 minutes then nothing... help???
    The "tick, tick, tick, sound has stopped.
  • eros1eros1 Member Posts: 2
    Am new to this car,am not getting air flow from any vents,can hear blower moter working but nothing out of vents,
  • miqqmiqq Member Posts: 1
    Had the same problem with my 91 Fleetwood...if it's in the same location ....the blower motor is in the middle of the firewall...gave it a few light taps with a hammer or whatever...must be rust or whatever...and the blower came right on....it worked for me.... could be worth a try
  • joanmichaajoanmichaa Member Posts: 1
    I have battery voltage and a good ground at the blower motor connection but no power to the third wire and the a/c compressor doesn't run unless I jump across the relay by the bulkhead fuse panel under the hood. I've tested all the fuses even in the trunk and they're all fine and I checked and fixed all the code problems I had (mice chewed wires to shreds) still no blower.
    I'm thinking it must be the adl module or the wires to it but I have no idea where its located. I looked at one at autozone so I would know what it looked like and have the dash wide open and don't see it. Any ideas?
    It's my bosses car and it's sat five years because his normal shop had given up on it. Spose I could get a raise if I figured it out? Yeah right.
    Seems like I've read that the control module is in the dash, sitting on top of the heater box?????
  • bruucebruuce Member Posts: 1
    i can get cold air from right side vents but only get ambient air on left side temp. control will not work on left side 2002 deville
    To give Driver and Passenger different temperature control, the air box has 2 doors, one for each side. (There are more doors, for lower, mid, and defrost. It's complicated in there.) The Driver side door isn't working for you. If it is a servo motor, the electric motor that moves the door, it would be cheaper than if it is the door itself. Wild guess, the servo might be about $100. I've no idea what labor might be. If it is the door itself (The 'curtain' on the door might be torn up, or it is jambed.), it will probably be much more, tearing into the air box itself is more complicated.

It might be the dash control unit (about $250???), but I bet its a servo or jammed door.
    Your Cadillac can display error codes that have been set. Without having to get a code reader plugged in. It can be set into diagnoistic mode and you can scroll thru all the codes that are set. If the air temp door are not functioning correctly, it probably is setting a code. And knowing the code will tell you more about what is wrong.

Go here to read how to get into diagnostic mode and how to scroll thru them.
    http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/cadidiag.html#2000

Go here to get more info about specific codes.
    http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd2.html#rea
  • sandypaiementsandypaiement Member Posts: 2
    Exact same problem with my 93 Caddy Deville - both left and right panels show that "c" and the blower fan stays on. When the car is shut off, the blower fan will periodically come on. I know this because I've slept in this car on many road trips. Drains the battery with all this overnight action.
    I want to know if you have solved your problem and how. I have been told that I will need to replace the BCM (does this stand for Blower Control Module?). I will be taking this vehicle in for repairs at my local Cadillac dealer and shop, and I don't want this problem to be shrouded in mystery. Two years ago, when this happened, same dealer suggested pulling the negative off the battery to 'reset' the Computer. That does work, but only for a few minutes now as the time it does work has been steadily decreasing over these last two years from a day or two to only a few minutes - then shuts down again, displaying that dreaded 'c' on the panels.

Thanks if you can help! Sandy
    If the blower motor runs when the ignition is turned off, I think there is a 'box' sitting on the air box (inside, inside the right dash) that is the control box for the auto heat/AC system. Replacing this will fix the problem.
  • sandypaiementsandypaiement Member Posts: 2
    A couple of days ago, I bought a Blower Control Module and had the mechanic at Canadian Tire put it in. $400 to have it all done, and it had no effect. It was he who suggested that this part is the one causing all the trouble. NOW, I went back to the Cadillac Dealer/Service people and was about to order the BODY Control Module, but first checked with their service department. After telling them my tale of woe with this vehicle and how they had been unable to diagnose the problem TWO YEARS ago, they told me they now had the most qualified and experienced ace mechanic on their staff who could properly diagnose the problem. The service manager told me to wait until I hear from them, because, being all apologetic, they were going to research my problem thoroughly and not waste too much time on diagnostics, but get right to the heart of the matter. I am waiting for their call. I am confident they will pull through for me with the fix on this, and when it is done, I will return to this forum and provide the answer, so anyone else with the same problem may benefit.
  • tlittle706tlittle706 Member Posts: 1
    The drivers side climate control will not switch to A/C,it says it is on but it blows hot
  • Heatherlynn40Heatherlynn40 Member Posts: 1
    Ok i have a 2003 cadillac deville and the heat will only blow out the dash vents. It wont blow out the floor. Can anyone help me figure out whats going on?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Hooking up a professional scan tool would help. This type of tool can test the various blend doors and actuators and maybe pinpoint the issue.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    Turn the key on, don't start the car. Hold the OFF and WARMER buttons until the display changes. It should show you codes starting with "FF" post back what codes are displayed.