Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac DeVille Electrical/Lighting

Comments

• mdcaddy01mdcaddy01 Member Posts: 2
  • gibsongirl21gibsongirl21 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1993 Cadillac Deville. I need to replace the blinker but cannot locate it. I have looked under the drivers side, passenger side and under the hood, but still can't find the darn thing. I know what I am looking for and the guy at the parts store said there should be 2 of them - one to work the blinkers and the other works the flashers. I turned on the flashers and they work great. My blinkers are dead! I plan to just move the flasher part over to the blinkers for now then purchase a second part for the flashers later.
  • dmagickdmagick Member Posts: 1
    I own an '86 DeVille. My problem is new. Whenever I turn on an accessory or the headlights they will periodically go dim then back to normal, same with the interior lights, etc. There is no decrease in engine power or idle speed, just the accessories acting funny. Any help out there?
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    -Bad alternator.
    -Bad cables.

No need to start a new thread, there is an Electrical/Lighting one. The host will probably move these there....
  • calidaccalidac Member Posts: 2
    I think you hold in one of the buttons, like the reset one or one of those. I have my book at home. I'm pretty sure the trick is to hold the button in for a short time.
  • calidaccalidac Member Posts: 2
    Sounds like you not only got a car but an exercise program to boot. Seriously, I feel for you. I don't know what the answer is but I do know that since I bought my
    cadilac about two years ago I realize that there is alot of weird things that can go wrong with it and alot of electrical things, codes, sensors, 3 computer, ect. My problem is that my head lights go out on me sometimes. Very dangerous on the highway. Also the lights go out on my control panel too. Third but not least is that my car will turn over and even start but then will kill right away, and this happens every once in awhile too. The really weird part is that over the last year I have had it to 3 different garages, two which are GMC dealers and no one could figure it out. Any one out there that can help me? Right now I have my husbands million watt light that plugs into the cigarette lighter that he shines deer with. Thats just in case my lights go out on me I might stand a chance. Hell, I might even see a deer.
  • chuck2441chuck2441 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Cadillac DHS. The display for the radio and clock just went black. The radio, tape player, and cd player all work; just the display is black. I cannot a find a fuse for this. Any one have any ideas?
  • squeek1squeek1 Member Posts: 1
    I need to know how to install the right side(on the steering wheel)volume/tuning and below this is cruise control selector.The Illumination lights are out on the controls how do I take the Rubber section off the steering wheel to get to the right side controls so I can unplug the wires and take the old off..Tim
  • ejdjrejdjr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 deville with high mileage and no aftermarket accessories. The problem started about 6 mos. ago, I am putting in the 4th battery - car starts fine for a period of time, used to be 2 - 3 weeks, it is now down to less than 36 hrs. if it isn't started, where the battery runs completely down - no cliks. The current shop has replaced an Auto Zone new battery with a AC Delco battery which lasted a week, started great, left without starting for 2 days went dead. Shop says that all tests indicate - no drains. Battery was fully charged and left dis-connected from the car - next day battery tested bad. I am picking it up today with the 4th battery but am concerned that the problem is not solved.
    Any suggestions?
    This is driving me crazy - Help!!!
    Thanks,
    ejdjr
  • hustla_365hustla_365 Member Posts: 6
    I cant figure out what the problem is..............My warning lights blink continuously, even when I'm driving. I filled the oil and coolant and it continued to do so, can anyone help me please
  • sweetdevillesweetdeville Member Posts: 1
    i bought this deville with 45k miles on it back on oct 31st. I was origionally told it was under caddy warranty until 50k . Come to find out diamond lied to me & its completely out of warranty since august. Now the check engine light came on & is staying on , the lights on the steering wheel buttons are going out 1 by 1.
    The check engine light is the most of my worries , as this car cost quite alot of $$ & I have 0 warrantly. can anyone help with this problem ?
    www.cadillacforums.com has areas on it's site that will tell you how to push certain buttons on the dash and put the car into 'diagnistic' mode. This will then display all 'codes', both current and history. This site then also has areas that describe what each of the codes mean. A very limited description, but a description. Cadillacs have a very good self-display capability for 'codes'. Few autos have this.

Your car had a 4 year/50,000 mile warranty. Being a 2004, it could have been sold first in mid-2003 and therefore was over 4 years old when you bought it. When buying autos, you should always find out the 'in service date', when the car was bought, which is when the warranty is started.
  • bossalways1024bossalways1024 Member Posts: 2
    2002 DeVille, BATTERY GOES DEAD IF NOT STARTED AT LEAST EVERY 3 DAYS. At least 6 incidents of dead battery in the last 4 months; I've also been on disability for the last 4 months and not driving my beloved Kizzy Baby daily. After a few hours of reading I'm getting the idea that there are items drawing power from the battery even when the car is off. I have seen my service anti theft system notification 2-3 times, but the next time I start the car it no longer says that. Someone made mention of `battery saver mode`, please explain this funtion.

2) One more note, I have always heard a periodic rummmmmm sound from the rear of the car; someone made mention of `leveling system`, please explain this function.
    1) This could be as simple as a bad battery. Especially if this is the original battery. Which would be 5 or 6 years old, and has every right to die. This battery is probably under the rear seat, which you can just pull straight up at the front, and there's the battery. (If you get back to the battery, tighten down the cable connectors where they go into the battery. The black, negative cable grounds to the body right there under the seat. Be sure this bolt is screwed down tight. {This was a problem on my 2005 Deville just a few weeks ago.})

You should be able to bring up the battery voltage on your DIC display by pushing the INFO buttons. Check that when the car is running you have at least 13.5 volts. More, up to about 15.0 volts is good. If you don't have this voltage running, you have other problems, such as alternator bad. But if a bad alternator, it should be showing an error message on your DIC display.

If the car will not start, the battery voltage is obviously low. But, if you are driving it every day and it is starting, here is something to do. Drive the car 20 miles or so - enough to get a good charge on the battery. More miles would be better. Turn everything off. Radio, AC/Heat, Lights, keep door closed, etc. Stop the car.Turn the ignition back to 'Run' position, but do not start the car. Bring up the battery voltage on the display. A nicely charged battery should show from 12.2 to 12.6 volts. If your battery, right after being charge up nicely, shows something less than 12.0 volts, your battery is probably 'bad'. If you can sit there a few minutes, and you see the battery voltage decrease, you also either have a bad battery (losing voltage quickly due to weak cells), or you have a huge power drain somewhere.

Most auto parts houses will also 'load test' a battery for free.

If the battery appears good, finding the drain is something an tech with experience in electrical systems is going to be needed. Does the car have Onstar? Cadillacs of about this age had problems with the Onstar module draining the battery. Whether Onstar was active or not. Otherwise, the drain could be in many places, your Caddy has lots of electronics in it.

2) Your car has a rear, self leveling air suspension system. There is a small air compressor near the rear tires. Every time the car starts, this system goes thru a 'self test'. The compressor starts and raises the car a little. The system then exhausts air back to the correct level. This is what you are hearing. I think the system will even do this with the ignition in Run, without starting the car, and you can very easily hear all this. It takes about a minute to go through all this. Of course, with your battery problems, I wouldn't be draining the battery by doing this (the compressor uses electrical power) until you get the battery/electrical problems resolved.
    P.S. 'Battery Saver Mode' - Read your owner's manual. It describes this.

Some of the electrical system is probably not protected by the 'Battery Saver', so you could still have something that is draining the battery.
  • engwang9091engwang9091 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2001 cadillac deville. My power windows sometimes just stop working. It wont go up or down. After a a couple of days it starts to work again. It keeps doing this on and off
    One window or all windows?
    If one window, is it dead from the door switch and the driver's switch?
  • lawman5lawman5 Member Posts: 1
    sir did you find out why fuel+heatand a/c read out not working ?acquired a1991 sedan de ville it has the same problem all fuses are good

Sir: I have acquired a 1991 Sedan Deville with the same problem you had. Fuel guage inope plus heat/ac - no readouts on either. Any recommendations you have would be appreciated. Hope you fixed your problem.
  • alimo1alimo1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a rare problem, 2001 DeVille rear passenger door window, the window stopped working from both the passenger door switch and the drivers door switch for the rear window, replaced the door window switch and replaced the drivers switch, checked all the connectors and wiring........ the window works ( up/down )off both switches when the rear door is open, as soon as you close the door the window fails to operate from either switches ! Anyone had this problem and what is the fix ? My guess is the module in the rear door but would appreciate it if anyone can throw a little light on the problem.
    Well, I've read where the later model Cadillacs do have a 'module' in each door. I really don't know what this module controls.

But from your description of the problem, I would also suspect a pinched wire, possible inside the rubber boot that covers the wires where they go from the body to inside the door.
  • barry78520barry78520 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem. Any luck finding the solution? Barry
  • mmb1982mmb1982 Member Posts: 3
    Hi I have a 2003 Cadillac Deville Dts. and since Nov 2007 it has been stalling. It seems to happend once evey 3-4 weeks. Then if i leave it off for a while it will turn back on with no problem... Or if I turn it off... open all doors and let itslef reset it will start. It is soooo weird. I have taken it to Cadillac and they don't know whats wrong. I have already changed out the Cam sensors and and the torque converter but it is still happening. The guys at the dealer our clueless and say the car is perfect. NO IT'S NOT if that was the case it wouldnt turn off .. Please someone HELP !!!! I have a baby and I am scared this might happen while i'm driving.
    Luckily so far its only when I get in my car and turn it on.

Oh yeah and now it's leaking oil ..AHHHHH !!
    I've only had the car 1 1/2 and it has 75000 FYI.
  • rgwilsonrgwilson Member Posts: 2
    Recently I tried to jump start my another car from the battery of my '95 Caddy. It appeared the battery died. I bought a new battery and now when I turn the ignition...NOTHING!! She just sits there. No turn over. No starter sound. NADA! I checked all fuses they are in tact. What could could be her possible problem(s)? Thanks in advance.
  • rgwilsonrgwilson Member Posts: 2
  • lowkey92lowkey92 Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me what this means and is it exspensive to repair.
  • lowkey92lowkey92 Member Posts: 2
    The battery is two years old but I was wondering if this sounds like an alternator problem? Please help if you can thanks....
  • ernestternestt Member Posts: 1
    chased same problem for over two months,killed two new batteries,replaced alternator and several other things,until my mechanic finally saw a code for the fuel pump relay,when i got a service vehicle soon light. replaced 19 dollar relay,two weeks ago,no more dead battery.relay kept pump running intermittenly overnight and kept killing battery.my car is 1989 cadi deville.hope this helps.
  • meyejsmeyejs Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever come up with a resolution for this problem?
  • sasso1sasso1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Cadillac Deville with 75k that I recently bought a new battery for. I replaced it but now the car doesn't start. No click, turnover, nothing. I checked all of the fuses and everything looks fine. The battery is charging properly. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. :confuse:
    Is your battery under the rear seat or under the hood?

If under the rear seat, I would re-check the battery cable connections. I would also check the negative cable where it is screwed into a nut that is basically in the body just to the right of tthe battery. My 2005 needed this ground tightened down. It is covered with paint, which also makes for a poor connection.

If under the hood, I would check the connection, plus you might have corrision inside the rubber covering the cables, either positive or negative. Just moving these cables around to put the battery in could have broken strands inside the rubber that cannot be seen.

And, you could have bought a dead battery. What is the voltage at the battery connections, with the car turned off, and also while running. A battery in good shape should have 12.6volts. When charging, there should be anywhere from 13 to 15volts at the battery.

Good luck
    Thanks for the reply. I checked and double checked all of the connections and still nothing. Someone told me that it might be the crank sensor. What do you guys think? I want to make sure I try everything before I tow it to the dealer. So any and all ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
    2000/2001 are bad years for crank sensors, but they usually kill a car dead while it is running.
    I've done everything I could think of and now my dash reads "service theft system". Would you happen to know how to bypass this? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
    From my 2005 manual:

Your vehicle is equipped with the PASS-Key® III
    (Personalized Automotive Security System)
    theft-deterrent system. PASS-Key® III is a passive
    theft-deterrent system. This means you do not have to
    do anything different to arm or disarm the system. It
    works when you insert or remove your key from
    the ignition.
    When the PASS-Key® III system senses that someone
    is using the wrong key, it shuts down the vehicle’s
    starter and fuel systems. The starter will not work and
    fuel will stop being delivered to the engine. Anyone
    using a trial-and-error method to start the vehicle will be
    discouraged because of the high number of electrical
    key codes.
    When trying to start the
    vehicle, if the engine does
    not start and the
    SECURITY light comes on,
    the key may have a
    damaged transponder.
    Turn the ignition off and
    try again.
    If the engine does not start, and the key appears to be
    undamaged, try another ignition key. At this time,
    you may also want to check the fuse. See Fuses and
    Circuit Breakers on page 5-98. If the engine still
    does not start with the other key, your vehicle needs
    service. If your vehicle does start, the first key may be
    faulty. See your dealer who can service the PASS-Key®
    III to have a new key made.
    It is possible for the PASS-Key® III decoder to learn the
    transponder value of a new or replacement key. Up to
    10 additional keys may be programmed for the vehicle.
    This procedure is for learning additional keys only.

AND:

SERVICE THEFT SYSTEM – 34: This message means
    there is a problem with the PASS-Key® III system. A
    fault has been detected in the system which means that
    the system is disabled and is not protecting the
    vehicle. The vehicle usually restarts, however, you may
    want to take your vehicle to your GM dealer before
    turning off the engine.

End manual cut and paste.

Your 2000 probably has some version of this security system. I don't think it will still have the 'resistance pellet in the key' system. The manual says this PassKey3 system has a transponder in the key, and it may be damaged. I think you are going to have to get some professional help for this, unless you have a bad key/s. If a key got really wet, or was physically damaged, I think you might need a new one and have it re-programmed.

Here is what my manual says about programming keys:
    Canadian Owners: If you lose or damage your keys,
    only a GM dealer can service PASS-Key® III to
    have new keys made. To program additional keys you
    will require two current driver’s keys (black in color). You
    must add a step to the following procedure. After
    Step 2, repeat Steps 1 and 2 with the second current
    driver’s key. Then continue with Step 3.
    To program the new key do the following:
    1. Verify that the new key has PK3 stamped on it.
    2. Insert the current driver’s key in the ignition
    and start the engine. If the engine will not start see
    your dealer for service.
    3. After the engine has started, turn the key to OFF,
    and remove the key.
    4. Insert the key to be programmed and turn it to ON
    within 10 seconds of removing the previous key.
    5. The SECURITY light will turn off once the key has
    been programmed. It may not be apparent that the
    SECURITY light went on due to how quickly the
    key is programmed.
    6. Repeat the Steps 1 through 4 if additional keys are
    to be programmed.
    If you are ever driving and the SECURITY light comes
    on and stays on, you will be able to restart your
    engine if you turn it off. Your PASS- Key® III system,
    however, is not working properly and must be serviced
    by your dealer. Your vehicle is not protected by the
    PASS-Key® III system at this time.
    If you lose or damage a PASS-Key® III key, contact
    your dealer to have a new key made.
    In an emergency, contact Cadillac Roadside Assistance.
    See Roadside Service on page 7-5.
  • BIGPTHEONEBIGPTHEONE Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have info on this code? were is this at on the car? 95 deville 4.9l i have looked in the repair book, no luck. any and all help would be great.

txz
    BIG P
  • paco4paco4 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone tell me how hard it is to replace the turn signal switch on this car (1999 Cadillac Deville) I bought the switch I just need some advice on it. the car does have an air bag.
    Is it something that I can do Or do you think I need to take it in?
    Thanks, Francisco
  • gahrens88gahrens88 Member Posts: 1
    So my boyfriend bought a 1995 Cadillac DeVille a few weeks ago and the weirdest thing keeps happening with his key lock (The automatic lock he keeps on his key ring- if that's what it's called). Well, to explain, he lives in an apartment complex in Chicago. When he parks his car behind his aparment (or between his building and the connecting one) his key lock won't work, it won't lock, or if it does, it won't unlock. Either way the key lock doesn't work. He tries to unlock the car with the key in the door but that sets the alarm off. It's frustrating for him and we both think that there could be some kind of interference from the surrounding buildings. It works everywhere but when he parks the car behind his apartment. But could that just be the problem? I know the people that live below him have a computer in the back room that over looks the parking area, and the buildings that connect to his have Wi-Fi, but I don't know if that's ALL that's causing the problem. If there's something wrong with the sensors or something else that's affecting it. Someone PLEASE let me know if there could be something else that could be wrong. Either reply here or e-mail (sagitarius12588@aol.com) Thanks so much!
  • joe261joe261 Member Posts: 1
    the steering on my 04 deville seems extra stiff, is this normal?
  • dlc672dlc672 Member Posts: 1
    I checked the fuse for the interior lights. I think it feeds a relay that might be bad but I'm not sure where it's located. Anyone had this problem before? It's a 97 Coupe DeVille.
  • teepney42teepney42 Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like your car may have the Retained Accessory Power(RAP)feature.
    Rap is designed to allow the radio, trunk lid, wipers,sunroof etc to be operated
    after the ignition switch has been turned to OFF. RAP continues for ten
    minutes or until a door has been opened. The main components of the RAP
    system are the Body control Module (PZM) which has controlled power relays,
    accessory time delay relay, and several fuses. Have these checked, they are
    probably on the left front of the passenger compartment, taped to the body harness. If one of these are bad it will drain your battery overnight.
  • knightgamesknightgames Member Posts: 1
    I have a 93 deville and after getting my car back from being stolen, I noticed they broke off the turn signal lever. I got a new turn signal lever, with cruise control and wiper controls that looks exactly like the one I had before and the connector is different from whats on the car already. The auto store I bought it from assured me that it was the correct replacement for that car and so did other auto stores I have asked. Am I supposed to plug it in at a different spot?
  • mrwifflemrwiffle Member Posts: 1
    My wife set off the alarm one day, since then we have almost every time we start the car, turn the key, pull key out, wait 3 min and then try to start again. Lately this isn't working and sometimes the wait is 30 min before we can start the car.
    Today I disconnected the pos term on battery while the key was in the on position, removed key after a few minutes. Now I'm letting the car set before I hook up the terminal again. Praying that works.
  • terrywittterrywitt Member Posts: 1
    PLEASE HELP ME. where do i begin i start my car and the display shows i am on empty. my sensor lights daytime lights dont work. my seatbelt chimes dont work i dont know what is wrong.
  • h2hh2h Member Posts: 3
    if the battery is low or bad would it cause the theft system to act up? The car would not start and sounded as the battery was bad before it not starting I noticed the theft system light in the dash. I also had to replace a window motor last week could this have made the system act up? The car did start with a jump but after stopping it would not re-start without jump. I used another key to start with the second jump and drove the car 20 miles without the light coming back on and the car re started the next day with the same key. It show battery OK at 15.9 when started and 10.2 when not started. I am afraid to drive the car. Do I need a battery?
    First off, YES, YES, YES you need a battery. At 10.2 volts when the car is not running, this battery is dead! A nicely charged battery should be about 12.6 volts.

The 15.9 volts is the charge being put out by the alternator when running. The Voltage Ok display just shows the alternator is working. Has little to do with the battery condition, except it is high which shows the battery is very weak and is taking a large charge.

And yes, with all the electronics in the car, when the battery voltage drops, you may get all kinds of error displays. Get a new battery in this car and hopefully all your problems will go away.

I just put a new battery in my wifes 2005 Deville. Surprising to me, my local Walmart had the correct battery, $77, including the little end vents where rubber hose attaches to vent fumes outside thru the bottom of the floor. The battery in the 2005 is under the rear seat. Local NAPA quoted $147, with the dealer cheaper for a Delco at $140.
  • h2hh2h Member Posts: 3
    Thanks #156 for the info, I'll replace today.
  • vishwaq3vishwaq3 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a Deville with 159000 miles. I went thru almost all the posts in the forum to check for couple of problems I have.

1. Check Engine light comes on and out at will
    2. The engine stops in the middle of the road mostly when idle (traffic lights) and the oil pressure light comes on. I had to bring the car back to neutral and stop it. These days in lights I stop the car a bit back and slowly advance so that the engine is up and running.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    You Cadillac will display the Check Engine code/s that have been set. You need to google Cadillac Forum/s and go to these forums, where you can find the procedures to display error codes. Then, either on these forums, or other places on the internet, you can search and find general guidelines about what codes you have set mean. This will give you some general guidance about what is wrong.

With this number of miles, there is a lot of problems the car can have. The first thing to do is get the check engine codes. You could have bad plugs and/or plug wires. The Engine Idle Sensor may be bad, or the ports in its body are plugged up. The butterfly valve for the throttle can be gooped up badly and is sticking, althought this usually gives you a high idle.
  • cadrolls1cadrolls1 Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem with a 1995 Fleetwood. It took five times to the dealer to get it fixed. It turned out to be the relay switch for the headlights.
  • mbossembosse Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    new batt.,,no start,dash tell me,starter disabled,problem with theft system,remove key.Every time I open the drivers door the alarm goes off..tryed locking doors and unlock drivers with key,alarm goes off,tryed holding pos and neg cables togather for a min.,,no help,can some one help me,its a nice car but dead in my yard,,,Thanks to you all,Mark