Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac DeVille Electrical/Lighting

tbebtbeb Member Posts: 11
edited December 2013 in Cadillac
My 1995 Cadillac Deville with 4.9 liter engine hesitates when I accelerate. How frequent? It seems that depends on what the outside temperature is. I bought this car in 2000, and have had this problem since 2001. My mechanic feels it's a computer problem. He says my car has 3 "computers". He's not sure which one to replace, so he would replace one at a time until problem is remedied. He suggested I just drive it as it is, so that's what I've done. Anyhow, if I remember right, the computer trouble code is P041 (which has to do with the camshaft position circuit). I replaced the camshaft position sensor, and that didn't help at all. I troubleshot this circuit the best I could, and didn't find anything. This hesitation problem is annoying. I would like to get it fixed without having to replace all computers. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• chrisk2chrisk2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 92 Coupe Deville with a big problem. My check engine light keeps coming on and the dash lights flash on and off. Also, if my car sits for to long the battery drains. I had a new battery and battery cables put on but I still have the same problem. Also, at times the heater comes on and I can't turn it off. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • sarge2003sarge2003 Member Posts: 3
    My 1995 Deville has a pinging noise only when accelerating. It has 168,000 miles on it. It is not getting as good of gas mileage as it used to. The check engine soon light came on for about 25 miles then went off. About 400 miles later it came on and has stayed on for 300 miles now. I get code 48.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    It sounds like an EGR system fault. What's the engine code (8th digit in the VIN)?
  • rabinc1rabinc1 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1995 Deville, that has the message Check Ride Control, or something of this nature, come up on the dash panel screen. Has anyone else had this message show up. And if so, what is the fix, and approx. cost? What is the seriousnes if left unrepaired?

Thanks
  • sarge2003sarge2003 Member Posts: 3
    I have had that message for quite some time now. It came up after working on the brakes. I have been told that it is around $400 to have it fixed but it is not serious to leave it as is. Others have told me they have the same message on their car also.
  • joe771476joe771476 Member Posts: 19
    Don't worry about the "check engine" light! Do you have coolant filled? Do you have oil filled? Does the car start and get up to speed? If so, don't worry! Those lights were designed to get the average moron into the dealership garage so they can whack you $300 just to analyze the "problem." And then they fix the problem that really didn't exist in the first place for another $800!Trust me, I sold aftermarket auto parts and hung around independent garages (where you should go, by the way)and heard the horror stories!
  • vic8vic8 Member Posts: 13
    The "Service Engine Soon" light came on and has stayed on.
    I was able to get into the on board computer and found the stored trouble code,which was P1139.P1139 points to a oxygen sensor(HO2S)insuff.Bank 1 sensor 2.I purchased a
    new sensor and installed it.Is the light and the trouble code suppose to go out after the repair is completed?
    If not,how do I clear the trouble code and light?
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    If the light doesn't go out after a couple of days driving, then take it to Autozone and they'll clear it free of charge. Just tell them it's your "Check Engine Light" and they'll use the scanner to erase it.
    Thanks alot for your help,it was greatly appreciated.
    Hi blkhemi
    Thanks for your reply.Would you know if Auto Zone would be able to clear the stored code,with ther scanner too.
    Thanks Vic
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    I don't think they'll go that far. The Caddy dealers as far as I know are the only ones that can clear the stored codes.
    Thank you for your time and answer.
  • gbu28gbu28 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, My name is James Miller. I have a 94 DeVille and I have the same problem you do with your 95. I ws wondering if you have gotten it fixed yet and I you did what was the problem.
    Thanks
    James
    gbu28@yahoo.com
  • 92marondeville92marondeville Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem with my 92 caddy,I changed thee alternater,and after that know problem.
    About 4 months ago my Service Engine Soon Light came on,on my 1997 Cadillac Deville.I found out how to access the on board computer and found the trouble code,which was causing the light to come on. The trouble code was P1139,which was the oxygen sensor located behind the catalytic converter.I purchased a new sensor and installed it. After the installation,I disconnected the positive lead
    to the battery and cleared the trouble code. Now after 4 months of operation and no incidents,the same code has suddenly reappeared.Now what?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    YOu were fooled by the code. The code doesn't identify the defective part. No onboard computer can yet do that. It just identifies the circuit with the problem. So you need to start a diagnostic "tree" on that circuit and eliminate each component in the circuit by testing. Your 02 sensor was probably stressed out by some other defective function, so putting in a new one was possibly just providing a fresh victim for the real culprit.
    Thank you for getting back to me.When I originally read the trouble code it pointed to the oxygen sensor,but after it finished running through all the other systems it came to the end and left me with a PCM?.Could this be that, the problem is somewhere in the PCM circuit?
    Today I had a friend of mine put his code meter on and came up with the same P1139 code oxygen sensor,his meter did show another code that was not showing up on the cars computer.The code he read said #6 cylinder has miss fired.
    Could this possibly be the problem,thats causing the oxygen sensor to go bad?Thanks Again!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Hmmm....tricky question, like the chicken and egg question...if the 02 sensor is bad, it can't tell the computer how to adjust the fuel mixture, so THAT could cause a misfire....but can a misfire cause a bad 02 sensor....I don't think directly, but a bad misfire could overheat the catalytic converter and THAT could eventually cause the 02 sensor to become contaminated I believe.

So the short answer....I don't know for sure. This is where thorough diagnostics comes in.
    Thanks again for your help.I think I'm going to change the plugs,take out the new sensor I installed four months ago clean it up,put it back in, then clear the sensor code and cross my fingers,arms,legs,eyes and what ever else you can cross ha ha! Thanks again Buddy!
  • kirainmtkirainmt Member Posts: 4
    I am having the same problem. I replaced the ignition control moduel, the spark plugs and wires and now it is running good. The only problem is that the P041 code always comes back on. Does anyone know how to keep it from coming back?
  • stealermanstealerman Member Posts: 3
    Hello this is my first post and would like to know the proper way to check and clear codes from obd 2 monitoring system please, Thank you for your time . Robert . P.S. I do know how to push the off and warmer buttons to turn on system but then i do not know how to read the system from there or how to clear them . :confuse:
    After holding down on the warmer and off buttons,the computer will open up and start running the various system circuits,it will stop on any trouble code that is currently present for a few seconds and then continue on,until it runs the whole system.
    The system will also stop on trouble codes that are history.
    Be sure to write down the current number code,so you will be able to look it up,and find which circuit the trouble is in.Once you find the problem and repair it,you will have to clear that code,by either using a code scanner,which you probaly dont have or by disconnecting the positive lead on the battery for five minutes and then reconnecting.If the code comes back again you have not corrected the problem and if it dont come back I would consider your repair a success.You will have to reset certain settings,like the clock and radio settings.To find a list of trouble codes for your caddy,enter in keyword 1997 cadillac Deville trouble codes,ther you will find the code lists.
    Thank you so much one more thing if the car runs a complete scan does it end up pcm? on screen if so i have figured it out Thanks in advance for all the help Robert. :)
  • caddynutscaddynuts Member Posts: 2
    From experience, you must reset the computer memory. Your code is still in your computer memory.

Steps to Reset:
    Turn ignition key to on position (do not start car)
    Disconnect positive battery terminal while key is in on position (instrument panel lights on only).
    Wait a couple of minutes.
    Turn key off.
    Reconnect positive battery terminal.
    *Note This Process Erases All Trouble Codes! But keep in mind they will come back if the condition is not fixed.
    Yes,I have the same PCM? on my 1997 Deville after running the system.I do not know what the question mark represents,I'm trying to find out,But I did repair my problem,which was an Oxygen sensor (trouble code P1139)which I did replace. If I was unable to access the on board
    computer and find the trouble code,that was causing the problem,I would of been at the mercy of my Cadillac dealer and you know what that would of cost. ;)
    Hi
    I have a 1997 Caddy Deville,in your last message you said you replaced the plugs and wires.I have to change mine too.
    My question is,are 4 of your plugs positioned in the rear of the engine,close to the fire wall?If they are can you tell me,the best way to take them out.Thanks for your time!
    Thank you for your time God Bless.
  • kirainmtkirainmt Member Posts: 4
    Yes, 4 of the spark plugs are next to the firewall. We used a rachet wrench don'y remember the sixe off hand, it is a very small space so you might have to turn them by hand to get them out. It takes some time to get them out. My engine hesitation has come back in the last week or so, do you have this problem also?
  • camillianitecamillianite Member Posts: 2
    This is a 95 Cadillac DeVille with the 4.9L V8 that was running well and then one morning it would not start. It will turn over strong when the key is turned but it won't fire. Pulled the fuel line just before the fuel regulator and the fuel comes out strong when turning key to start. Checked the fuses that had to do with the ignition and fuel injectors and they check good. I pulled the plastic cover off the distributor and found what looked like the coil. Checked the plug and contacts and there is no voltage to the coil when turning key to start position. I went ahead and made a guess to change out the ignition module inside the distributor housing and that did not fix it. I have checked the codes and the codes I have recorded are as follows:
    P052
    P065
    I039
    I052

Could someone give me an idea where to go from here????
    Thanks in advance for any ideas.
  • stevewhitstevewhit Member Posts: 4
    On our '91 it was the security key system. Had a broken wire going into the switch assembly. Had to read the key resistor with an ohm meter to get the value. Hooked up a set of resistors to match that value to the cable going to the computer. Works like a champ. Other fix is a complete new switch assembly, as per the dealer. The indication was the "security" light was on. Hope this is not your problem.
    Best
    Steve
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    You should look for a corroded or loose battery
    cable end...............
  • tercloterclo Member Posts: 3
    I HAD THE SAME TROUBLE THAT YOU HAVE. WHAT IS GOING ON IS THAT THE SHOCKS ARE BAD IN EITHER THE REAR OR THE FRONT. WHAT YOU WILL HAVE TO DO IT REPLACE THE AIRRIDE SHOCKS. HOWEVER, THE REPLACEMENT SHOCKS COST $506.00. THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT YOU CAN REPLACE THEM WITH ANY AIRRIDE SHOCK THAT YOU WISH (AFTERMARKET SHOCKS) WHICH WILL COST ABOUT $85.00. ALL THAT HAPPENS IS THAT THE MESSAGE WILL COME UP ON YOUR MESSAGE READOUT INSIDE, BUT THEN ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS HIT THE INFORMATION BAR EACH TIME YOU START THE CAR. IT IS VERY SIMPLE. THE HOOKUP TO THE AIRRIDE SHOCKS TO THE COMPUTER IS NOT REQUIRED ON THE COMPUTER AND WILL NOT INTERFERE WITH THE CAR'S PERFORMANCE. I HAD THIS PROBLEM AND SOLVED IT. TERCLO
  • smoogiessmoogies Member Posts: 2
    Hello I was looking for info about the Service Ride Control msg and I read yours. I knew the rear shocks had to be replaced but we could only find new ones for $1000. The used ones we purchased were wrong. You said you could use aftermarket ones. Could you tell me the name brande of the ones you boguth so I can purchase them. We've bought several now and I need to be sure I'm getting the right ones. Thanks so much.
  • tercloterclo Member Posts: 3
    HI. IN RESPONSE TO YOUR QUERY. I BELIEVE THAT I USED AUTO ZONE OR ONE OF THE CHEAPER OUTLET STORES. GOING TO THE DEALER IS NOT UP FOR OPTION, WAY TO EXPENSIVE. ALL THAT IS REQUIRED IS A GOOD RIDING AIR SHOCK, MAYBE IN THE 75.00 TO 150.00 DOLLAR AREA. YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO DOWNLOAD A PICTURE OF THE SHOCK OFF INTERNET AND THIS WILL GIVE THE GUY AT THE STORE SOME IDEA AS TO WHAT YOU WANT. ALSO, HE SHOULD BE ABLE TO CROSS REFERENCE IN HIS BOOKS AND FIX YOU UP WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM. ONE THING YOU MUST REMEMBER IS THAT THE SHOCK YOU ARE REPLACING NEED NOT BE THE EXACT ONE THAT IS ALREADY THERE. JUST GET A GOOD RIDING AIR SHOCK OF ANY BRAND. HOPE THIS HELPS YA. REGARDS, TERRY. ONE MORE THING. THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR THE SHOCK THAT WILL HOOK UP TO YOUR COMPUTER IN THE CAR, GM CHANGED ALL THAT. JUST A GOOD AIR RIDING SHOCK IS ALL THAT IS REQUIRED.
  • smoogiessmoogies Member Posts: 2
    Thank You very much for your response. I manage a used car lot in Nova Scotia and we've been trying to get this problem fixed. We didn't really want to spend the $1000 per shock so this is a big help. Thanks again for a speedy response.
    Check out Arnott suspension parts or Boston struts.
    Much cheaper than the $pendy active GM OE struts.
    Ask over at http://www.caddyinfo.com for links and
    more info.................
  • jdobbsjdobbs Member Posts: 2
    YOU CAN GET RID OF THE CODES STARTINT WITH THE WARM AND OFF BUTTON BUT WHY DON'T YOU TRY JUST DISCONNECTING THE POSITIVE CABLE FROM YOUR BATTERY FOR ABOUT FIVE OR SIX MINUTES THEN HOOK IT UP AGAIN!
  • 04cad04cad Member Posts: 131
    Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket conversion to change the annoying horn honk when locking the doors with the remote to a less offensive "chirp"? When I have the horn honk enabled, the horn honks on the first push to let me know they locked. My 2006 Chevy Silverado does not honk the first push, only on the second push, so if you are at a motel late at night, or somewhere you don't want to bother people, you can push it once to lock it without a honk disturbing everyone nearby. As far as I can tell with the DeVille, it is either on (honks on first push) or off (doesn't honk ever). Oh I forgot to mention the only positives of the horn honking instead of a chirp noise is the couple of times in Disney parking lots I have toyed with people trying to find their vehicle by pushing their remotes and listening for the horn, one young couple laughed that maybe they should take the Caddy instead of their vehicle. Thanks
    04............My 03 Deville has a setting on the Driver
    Info. center stating if you want the horn to sound upon
    locking the doors with the remote or not.

I can only assume a 04 is the same? Have you checked you
    DIC options?
  • bremertongbremertong Member Posts: 436
    Believe there is a section in the owners manual that will show the options for locking and the horn. If unable to locate there suggest you contact onstar center during the week and daytime hours as they will often transfer you to a dealership service department that will answer your question. I do not like the horn sound on locking and have programed it out, just don't remember what I did, was two years ago when I got the car. I like the idea of a chirp instead and if you find out how to do this will appreciate
    your posting here. My car is a 2004 Deville.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Read the owners manual?

What an engaging proposition.

There is even an index in there.
    No, I haven't checked the manual, why would I? The drivers information center would, I assume, offer me any and all options to set the horn honk on lock preferences. So far what I have seen is either on or off, no chirp, no honk on second push of key fob (like Chevrolet trucks, just on or off). I will look at my owners manual for a chirp option, but I will guess, since I haven't heard any DeVilles chirping when locked, that it isn't a factory option. Thanks for the suggestions anyway. Bob
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    For sound effects on the GM security systems, the horn is used. Systems that "chirp" have a chirping device and are not a GM security system.

I have my Seville setup to flash the lights when the doors are locked with the key fob. I usually lock the doors with the lock button on one of the doors when I leave the car rather than using the key fob. That way I know that the doors are locked.
    I guess no one actually read my first post. I know that a chirp is not a GM factory option. I am wanting to purchase an after market upgrade that will change the lock signal from the horn to a chirp if one is available. Also I believe if you read up on the door lock system, you may find you have to use the key fob in order for the security system to be activated. If you use the door lock button the security system is inactive. At least that was the program the last time I bothered to read about the door locks. We have traded for an 05 DeVille and found the seats are so much more comfortable without the heated/cooled seats. We do miss the memory seat function. Thanks for the replies.
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    On my 2002 Seville the security system is armed when the power door locks on the doors are used. I do not know if Cadillac has changed things since then.

I personally find chirps to be just as annoying as horns.
  • bremertongbremertong Member Posts: 436
    If I were looking for an after market item such as the chirp, I would try the following: Check with the service advisor at the dealership nearest to you or one that you trust, ask them if they can recommend an after market electronics store that specializes in auto electronics. If that doesn't give you the lead to finding the after market chirp product than I would check the yellow pages of your phone book and look under auto stereo systems and or electronics. I added an after market stereo stacker to a car once and the dealership arranged for both the vender and the installation of the stacker. Depending on your relationship with a Cadillac dealer you may also get this type of assistance. Between the dealership and the yellow pages I think you will find the product you want. As a last thought,
    suggest you ask anyone your in touch with who they would recommend if they don't have the product themselves. Using the above approaches I think your chances of getting results are fairly good if in fact the addition is practicable and affordable. Best wishes and let us know what happens.
  • jefplanejefplane Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I drive a 94 Concourse Deville. I have replaced my map sensor 3 times in the last 2 months. The car would work fine for one to two weeks after the replacement then I would get the PO32 error code. Also after I replaced the map sensor for the first time the car would struggle getting started and has continued to have hard starts for every following map sensor I replaced. I have replaced the connector to the sensor and have gone through the Gm Diagnostic tree to the best of my abilities with no avail. The car also seems to start better on cooler less humid days. If anyone might know what is causing these problems any advice you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely

Mike
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    One or more leaky injectors (hot start problem).

Leaking fuel pressure regulator (cold start problem).

Or.... is it the other way around?????

Wait a minute. Is this motor a Northstar? The above info is for a Northstar.
  • jefplanejefplane Member Posts: 3
    Hello, the above info is for the 4.6 Northstar engine. vin code "y"

Thanks

Mike
    Thanks for the helpful advice. When I get a moment I will definitely talk to the dealership. After the last service visit when they got greasy footprints on the driver's floor mat we will be going back to speak to the manager anyway. They usually put paper mats down, but for some reason this time they didn't... bad move. If GM really wants the title "World Class" I think they are going to have to straighten out some of their dealerships. I hate complaining about them all the time, but it is pretty obvious the dealerships must have too many customers the way they treat the ones they have.