Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry Transmission Questions

Comments

• ericlsailorericlsailor Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the build date info.

From your experience, does what I posted sound like the flare issue or is is a different issue? Could it be related or caused by a similar malfunction? I say this as the dealer did the TSB TC007-07 which sound like people with the flare issue had done as well.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    I have a 2007 4 cylinder very early build, and have been following both the 4 cyl and 6 cyl issues very closely. I don't believe your issue is the flare issue.

The flare only happens on some 6 cylinders, it normally only happens once when the engine transmission is cold, and it occurs on the 3rd gear shift. One poster had documented it on a video, and posted a link a couple times here on Edmunds forum. As second gear is winding out to the next shift point, you see the rpm's flare up about another 1K before dropping down lower to third gear. Many of those that have had this problem, have had numerous attempts to repair including software loads, transmission replacements, etc.....and end up getting a lemon law out. A couple of the problems were resolved with some fix. My perception (right or wrong), is that the attempted resolutions are marginally successful, but worth a try.

I've worked on a couple of my own manual transmissions and clutches over the years, but leave the automatics to the pros.....so I am by no means qualified to talk about the inner workings of an automatic. However, I did have a Ford which was slow to shift into 1st gear, which ended up being a bad solenoid. The symptoms were that we'd shift from park, reverse, or neutral and put it in drive, then attempt to begin to go, the rpm's would rise, the transmission would effectively be in neutral for a short period of time, and then drop into first while the engine rpm was up chirping the tires. Problem was it was not consistent, so you never knew whether it was going to shift correctly (most of the time), or not.

From the symptoms you wrote, I don't believe that is the 3rd gear shift flare....and you probably some other 'normal/regular' transmission problem.
    Thanks kiawah. Yes, I think mine sounds different than the flare issue as pointed out by imidazol97 above. Again yesterday when the car is cold and has been sitting for a day or a couple of days it will not move forward but the engine is reving. It reminds me of my 1993 Camry which I traded in because the reverse gear went out and would slip. It started with a little slippage then got quickly worse until I had no reverse at all. I then traded it in for the 2007 v6 se. By the way it was built in April of 2007.

I did see the flare video a while back.

I have an appointment with the dealer next week and hope they can find a fix for it.

Does the 3rd gear flare happen on a hard acceleration, a normal or gentle acceleration?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    When it doesn't engage you are saying the ambient temperature is colder than typical for your area and the car has sat long enough to cool completely.

Does the car move in reverse? Does it move forward in other settings on the lever? 1st? 2nd? or does it act the same? Does it engage if you quit trying the instant it doesn't engage right and you just let the motor idle and the motor and transmission warm up a few minutes?

The rough and erratic engagements of the lower gears as you slow down sounds like something a few others mentioned in the past but hasn't been commented on lately.

See if you can detect patterns in these symptoms. I recall some transmissions in another brand a couple decades ago that had nylon washers that were pressure seals along a shaft and those would wear and not quite seal. Then as they and the fluid warmed they changed enough they could seal against the pressure well enough to operate the transmission. Replacing them fixed the problems. And if I recall reverse worked.

This sounds like another problem with the transmission than the flare. I'd have to look through the discussions about the downshifts that occur to see if they are related to the flare complaints or not. I'm thinking not.

You need to push your dealer for help with your transmission. I would think in the other forum you mentioned if you said a specific tranny with an engine didn't engage when cold on an erratic basis and reverse did or that it would after idling rather than trying to shift to engage, etc., someone would post suggesting the problem causing the trouble.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Thanks for your message. It was slow to engage in reverse as well. I backed into the street and was a bit surprised that it did not go forward. The first time, it seemed to slowly build up pressure and began to move and then was fine. I have not tried it yet in other than the drive setting. I would think it would act the same in the manual setting as there was no movement at first. It lasts only a short time and when it engages it is then ok. When I took it into the dealer, they also found improper up and down shifting as well as the slip on startup. They did the TC007-07 and tested it the next day. I assume the TSB was for the harsh shifts and not for the slip. They asked me to contact them if I notice it happening again. I did as soon as I noticed it, I have to wait until they have a loaner available before I bring it in. The shifting is somewhat smoother, maybe a little delayed between 3rd and 4th. I was looking to see if I had the flare and am unsure if it is there or not but it still does not feel quite right. I have an appt. this week for another check of it. I am thinking that if the temp warms up the day after I drop it off it may not have the problem. We will see.

I am in the Chicago area and we have had some cold temps in the single digits. It seems to also do it when it is a little warmer. It has also been in the garage and must be a little warmer and no wind cooling.
  • mckimgirlmckimgirl Member Posts: 1
    2007 camary xle v6. lakeland florida 33809. reported to toyota twice. once they adjusted the computer. next time they said you have to live with it. i just called customer service headquaters and they just documented my information and said they are not aware of any problems with it.itshifts randomly and hesitates- i guess it is considered downshifting
  • chuck28chuck28 Member Posts: 259
    I too am in the Chicago area and have had all the trans issues which I feel have not been fixed. If you ever want to get together and make our case to get our cars fixed let me know?
  • toyoman5toyoman5 Member Posts: 2
    I had the 2007 transmission update and car now hangs up and shudders between 30 and 40 mph. Toyota took a pcture of the trns in operation and are writing another TSB for it. According to them, it does not happen that often.
  • joey17joey17 Member Posts: 1
    Went to Toyota Service today for that hesitating feeling like the car is going to cut off in major traffic. Got the story about the computer conveying message to transmission to shift and that in essence it is trying to "find the gear." The Service Writer mentioned that he had seen 3 people in the past 4 days for this exact problem and mainly to get used to it. One of the people who had reported this drives on I-35 and nearly got rear ended when it hesitated on him.

I told him I had checked here and other places so I know it is a much bigger problem than a quirk and Toyota needs to address it. Finally, he agreed that they had software that could "recalibrate" it and that it is much bigger than an isolated incident. They reloaded the software and it seems to be running better now.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I have to tell you that means absolutely nothing about anything. For one thing, there are several other Camry discussions focusing on the transmission issues, just as there are other Accord discussions talking about the VCM and related issues.

This is not to to defend the Accord, I just need to say that it bothers me a lot when people try to make any kind of point using the numbers of posts in any given discussion about any vehicle. You just can't do that. You can't know how many of those posts were by single individuals with an actual issue vs. multiple posts by the same individual vs. multiple defensive posts by people who do not believe that the car they own which has no problems is presenting problems for someone else. And you can't know how many posts in any given discussion were off-topic, just as you can't know how many posts were placed elsewhere that relate to the topic where you are post-counting.

The numbers of posts signifies nothing at all about any given vehicle no matter what vehicle is under discussion.

Just had to get that off my chest. :):):)
  • niceguy1234niceguy1234 Member Posts: 37
    Interestingly, 08 Honda Accord CVM problem has more posts than this 07 Camry transmittion problem.
    I haven't checked here for a few days. I had my car in last week. Left it overnight and they could not replicate the problem the next day even though it did slip on the morning when I took it to them. Mine does not always slip even on cold days. I am leaving it sit for two days to see if it will slip again. Now that the wx is warming a bit I may have to wait for the next cold weather to have it happen again.

Chuck28 which problems are you having and what have they and you done so far? Does your trans slip on first start when cold? Which model is yours SE, LE, XLE, I assume a V6? Is your dealer aware of the issues. One dealer on the south side I checked with had not had any reports, yet, about this issue.
    Hello Eric, I have the 2007 v-6 SE I have had the valve body replaced then the Trans. The flare problem still existed.
    They then had my car in for service and said couldn't find the problem. However when I got the car back the flare was gone and has been gone for 6 months now. I have strong reason to believe they went ahead and reprogramed the ECU with the latest TSB and didn't want to tell me so they don't have to count it as a fix attempt and they protect themselves
    from possible lemon law buy back.
    I happy the flare is gone but the trans does not shift smoothly and has a downshift problem in 1st and 2nd gear.
    My Gas mileage has also dropped and I get no where near the MPG I should be getting.

To say the least this experience with this car has been my worst ever!

Keep in touch, Chuck
    I have now experienced a flare from 4th to 5th gear. It seems unrelated to the cold weather. The other lower gears appear to have some slippage and some not so smooth shifting. After the TSB was applied, I notice that the 3 to 4 shift holds longer than it used to and when cold, it takes up to 3000 rpm before it shifts.

My original problem with slippage in the first gear has not continued and I am sure it has to do with the weather getting warmer. I have an appointment for the flare issue which may be easier to replicate as it seems to happen each time.

Has anyone heard if Toyota has issued any kind of statement about the transmission problems and a once and for all fix for the problem?

Eric
  • smythesmythe Member Posts: 10
    Ha! That explains it! I couldn't figure out why, when I asked the dealer to do the latest ECU software update for the infamous 4-cylinder shifting/throttle response problems, they refused. But then, they did the update (very obvious improvement in drivability), and told me they hadn't done it (see post 739 in this thread). Thank you Chuck28.
  • totomantotoman Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2007 Toyota Camry LE, and have concerns about the hesitation when excelerating. It can occur from a stop sign, merging into traffic, or changing lanes at higher speeds. During city driving if I let off the excelerator at say 40mph, then try to reaccelerate, it hesitates as well. I'm not sure if that deceleration and reacceleration are clutches actually slipping, or if it is the ECM trying to keep a soft shift. And get this........when I mentioned it to the salesman during the demo ride, he said that the accelerator has a computer that monitors each driver's habits, and that in two weeks it will adjust to my demands on the engine. I had a trouble-free 1996 Camry, so I had no reason to doubt him.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Lesson...

Never, NEVER, talk technical aspects with a salesperson, that is unless you are the one "directing" the conversation. And ten to one odds say the salesperson will get it entirely wrong when relating it to the next person.

Toyota has eliminated an important part from their transaxles and that required them to use DBW, E-throttle, to delay the onset of rising engine torque for certain fairly common driving situations(***). So DBW is used to make it "easy" on the transaxle clutches at certain times. Say when a downshift is required but cannot be quickly accomplished due to the "abolition" of the transaxle component and therefore the loss of its functionality.

*** Driving situation/circumstances described quite adequately in a TSB issued for the Camry in the spring of '03.
    Totoman,

There is a software update (TSB - Technical Services Bulletin), which the dealership can apply free under warranty. It makes substantial improvement in power, driveability, and cruise control smothness. It's been previously posted in these forums.

It takes about 1/2 hour for the dealership to reload the ECM software with the upgraded release, no big deal. Runs great.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Yes, Kiawah is right.
  • totomantotoman Member Posts: 3
    Thanks kiawah. I'll give them a call.
  • toyoman5toyoman5 Member Posts: 2
    as of june 25 2008 toyota has anew TSB for 4 cylinder Camry shifting. EG8025. Check with dealer. This is less than 2 weeks old.
  • adamw812adamw812 Member Posts: 32
    Any chance this applies to a 2008 4 cylinder as well this time around??
  • sunilvsunilv Member Posts: 26
    Is the new TSB called TSB-0068-08 or EG8025 ? I heard about the TSB-0068-08
    in Toyota forum site.
    Hello, is there a new TSB for the V-6 Camry 2007?
    Or are we talking just 4 clynd.?
    Thanks for any updated, Chuck
    Go to Toyotanation.com - they list several new TSBs, some for the V6 I think.
  • camryowner1camryowner1 Member Posts: 62
    Has anyone had the TSB 0068-08 installed? Does it correct the constant downshifting on slightest upgrade? I have had the previous TSB (Aug 07) installed and this was an improvement but car still downshifts on slightest upgrade. Am considering having the new one installed. Let me know if it works, OK?
    The "constant" downshifting is to improve or optimize FE and absent CARB & EPA approval (like hell freezing over) a TSB will not, cannot, improve on this matter significantly. The "object" to the constant down (and UP) shifting is to keep the engine right on the cusp, FE "sweet-spot", of just barely having enough torque for the current road/terrain conditions and speed.

Only a conversion to a true CVT with mostly transparent, non-obvious, up/down "shifting" will improve upon this matter.
    No other Camry that I have ever owned had this very aggravating problem of constantly downshiftinf/upshifting on the slightest upgrade which is so very noticeable. I believe that the engine burns more fuel when it is turning more rpm (as it does in a lower gear), so my 07 Camry does not get the FE of my 2003 or 2000 Camry cars (still in our family). Though my other Camrys downshit/upshift when neccessary, the operation is much smoother and hardly noticeable. If anybody gets the new TSB installed, I hope you will let us know of any improvements.
  • spyskyspysky Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 4-cyl Camry LE that until two days ago had practically all the problems mentioned in this forum; very sluggish down-shifting on acceleration; constant shifting between gears on the slightest uphill; unwanted down-shift upon applying brakes at cruising speed on slight downhill; and some related issues. I mentioned this (again) to the dealership at the 15000 mile service and they found and installed TSB 0068-08 (which has the OP CODE [whatever that is] of EG8025; Google "EG8025" and the actual Toyota bulletin as a pdf should appear on the first search page, showing a date of May 21, 2008). Now the Camry is like a new machine that responds like you expect. I've found myself saying "Yeah Baby" to my car practically every time I hit the gas. Now it drives like the MT Car of the Year. Previously my answer to "How do you like your car?" was as long as this forum. Now it is an unqualified "love it." I take a road trip this weekend on the interstate which will give the down-shift-on-slightest-uphill problem a better test than commuting to work has (although it seems solved on hills where it has always exhibit itself before) -- and if there's any change in my new-found optimism I'll report back next week.
    Thanks for the reply. I will look fwd to your report re trip on hills.
  • santocssantocs Member Posts: 54
    I could not find the toyota service bulletin. could you please send it to me?
    I did a search on google with EG8025 and all other search parameters, but could not find it :(.
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Hi All:
    As you know from my postings in the past, I am on the road most of the time with regards to my career. I own a 2007 Camry XLE V6 vehicle that has none of the problems that I have seen on these boards. (That does not mean that the problems do not exist, rather, it simply means that for some reason my vehicle doesn not have these issues.)
    Recently, I had the opportunity to speak to a person who also owns a 2007 Camry XLE V6. His vehicle has the transmission "flare issue!"
    NOTE: ----- According to this Camry owner, the "flare issue" disappeared after he had the throttle body cleaned! ------ Question: ----- Could a malfunctioning throttle body, on a "drive by wire vehicle" be causing the "transmission shift flare?"
    Best regards.
    Dwayne :shades: ;) :confuse: :)
    Doubt it. The flare was first reported on brand new vehicles, and the engine 'flares' without the vehicle moving forward....so it's effectively not in gear.

If the transmission was fully engaged and in gear......and then the engine throttle had a problem......you wouldn't have a +1K engine RPM flare.
  • spyskyspysky Member Posts: 2
    I can download the T-SB-0068-08 (EG8025) with at this web address, hope it works for you:
    forum.autocd.ru/download.php?id=2812

Confirming my previous post, this recalibration of the engine and transmission has turned one of the worst performing cars I've ever had into the best. Fixed in my 4-cylinder 2007 Camry are:
    1. no more sluggish downshift -- punch the gas and it goes like you expect.
    2. no more so-called 'trying to find the sweet spot' between gears on slightest incline. The road trip mentioned earlier found me on I-20 between Birmingham and Atlanta. In cruise control at interstate speeds on quite steep inclines the car held in 5th gear with a smooth increase in rpm, in many cases where I would expect a properly functioning transmission to down shift. In fact, it took a very steep incline to finally get an opportunity to see how it would perform when it clearly needed to down shift. Answer: smooooth! When it got very steep the transmission smoothly down shifted to 4th, and then consistently held it for as long as the incline demanded it, finally almost seamlessly leveling back into fifth when I crested. Previously it would have been down to 3rd and back up then down, etc., but this time it functioned just as I wanted. Other clunkiness issues are all basically fixed as well.
    Sounds great... I have asked my dealer about this and he said he is not even aware of these TSB's. he said he will run a diagnostic check when i take my car for first servicing. I have done only 4000 miles to waiting for couple 100 miles more to take it for first servicing.
    Thanks for sharing the great news. I am having this TSB performed ASAP. The previous TSB (Aug 07) did not help the annoying downshifting on smallest of upgraded roads. Can only imagine my 07 Camry driving as good as my 2000, and 2003.
    Great news!!!! Had the new TSB installed, and my 07 Camry does not exhibit the very annoying Downshifting on the least road upgrade. It now performs better than the day I bought. Mileage= 16,700. Color me a happy Camry Owner.
    Yes, everyone should have this TSB done - '07 thru some early 09's. I had it done to my manual transmission '07 I4 CE, and it accelerates smoother and quicker. It only took 30 minutes, under warranty, which for this is 96 months or 80,000 miles (Fed. emission warranty).
  • sunilvsunilv Member Posts: 26
    I have done all the TSB released for transmission issues. I have done the latest TSB and it is better now than ever before. But the problem for me I feel a jerk in 1st and 2nd shifts. I asked the Dealer to test it and they just reset the Computer memory and asked me to drive about 50 miles with stop and go in slow traffic roads. I thought when I did the TSB it will reset the memory. Will it?
    Now even after 150 miles my car jerks in 1st and 2nd shifts. My car is a 07 Camry 4 Cyli Auto Trans bought in 2006 Apr.

Is there any problem with my torque conertor or transmission? Please help me anyone, bcos I want to ditch this car if it is going to be fixed after my warranty expires.
  • leinieleinie Member Posts: 4
    I purchased a used, '07 Camry LE 4 cylinder (30K, built in 5/07) last week, and I like the car very much. After driving for awhile, I noticed that it does seem sluggish/hesitant when I let off the gas (rather than slowing down smoothly, there is a slight "bucking"), and then bucks slightly but picks right back up when I step on it (however smoothly) again. I realize this isn't really the same problem that so many others seem to have experienced with the transmission, but is this just a characteristic of the '07 transmission, or is it something that can be addressed by this TSB? It just seems like it should be a smoother transition from letting off the gas and stepping on it again.
    Take it in for the TSB - it is free, and only takes 30 minutes. Makes a huge difference in performance. TSB0068-08
    Sunil,

I am also facing the same problem. Most of the transmission issues are resolved after the TSB but the jerk when its shifting from 1st to 2nd gear is still there.

Cruise has improved, The hesitation has gone (except in first to second gear).

Am i correct?

anybody any clue what could be done for this problem?
    Your transaxle is of a relatively new design, circa about 1998, that is capable of "real-time" reduction/control of the ATF line pressure, and thereby increasing FE not insubstantially. I have no doubt that you could provide a circuit to constantly "push" more electrical current into the PWM solenoid controlling the line pressure but absent the engine/transaxle ECU "knowing" the line pressure always remains adequate to support a gearshift and/or fully and firmly engage clutches under high drive torque stress the modification would be of little help.

And absent being of a reasonable level of help it would be needless to have to add the extra ATF cooling capacity the modification would undoubtedly require.

Apparently that's what was done with the '01 to '03 RX300's and even with the extra ATF cooling capacity provided by the towing package it still resulted in overheated ATF indications in as little as 40,000 miles.
    I had the TSB done today...I can't say I noticed a LOT of difference in the way the car behaves. Is it really true that the car needs to "learn" the way I drive, and it will adjust and probably be better after that?
    Also, what are the chances the problems will come back?
    The problem won't come back, it is a program change, it can't just put in the old program! The TSB has been out for 4+ months, and everyone has been VERY happy since - enjoy your car! :)
    Entirely possible...
    Is the dealer "required" to place the sticker under the hood stating that the update has been done? I have the work order stating that it was done, but there is no sticker under the hood...I know I don't have a reason to doubt that it was actually done, but as stated earlier, I didn't notice any immediate change in the acceleration/deceleration, so I'm hoping this is just because the car is still adjusting to my personal driving habits...
    According to the TSB, the dealer is supposed to put the sticker under the hood - mine did, it states "Authorized Modifications" and lists the new program #. I noticed an immediate change, as did most others on another Toyota only site. Also, on this other site, the change is permanent, no reports of going back to the old program, which I wouldn't ever expect anyway.
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Hi All:
    QUESTION: ---- Are there any owners out there in "Toyota Land," who have a V6 Camry with the "famous" and "infamous" 3 to 4 shift flare problem, that have NOT applied the TSB fix to the transmission, and have experienced a total transmisssion failure as the vehicle accumulated miles?
    I am sure that there are many V6 Camry vehicles out on the road that have the problem, but for some reason, the owners do not notice the issue. With that in mind, I was wondering if the issue with the "3 to 4 shift flare problem" does eventually cause a total transmission failure, at a higher mileage as the vehicle get older?
    Best regards! -------------- Dwayne :shades: ;):)