Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Jetta Basic Maintenance Questions (Oil changes, fluids, etc.)

Comments

• blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Changing oil at the dealer is to document that it was done,etc.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    I've paid about $50. Our first change was free, from a different dealer, invoice had price of about $65.
  • skeets445skeets445 Member Posts: 3
    i just changed the oil and filter on my 2007 wolfsburg at 4900 miles.
    i called the vw dealer in my area(n.e. PA) and they quoted me a price of around $80.
    VW requires castrol 5w40 fully synthetic.
    i also save my purchase slips to verify my oil and filter change.
    i can do this change for $60
  • corky86corky86 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for sharing this information, folks.

I just signed a contract on an '08 Jetta this morning. The dealer tells me $125 for an oil change using synthetic oil. I believe they also wash the car, rotate tires and perform some safety checks too. Still seems awfully expensive to me.

He also said they are recommending a change every 10,000 miles rather than 3,000 or 5,000.
    Yes, because it requires full synthetic it only needs to be changed every 10,000 miles or 12 months. They have some sort of special break-in oil initially (at least I think that is the reason for the shorter interval for initial change) and this is to be changed at 5000 miles.

Then, I think just to get on a 10,000 mi interval, the second change is also called for after 5000 additional miles (at 10,000). After that is is 10,000 miles (or 12 mo.).

If you are concerned about the service costs, ask them for the "ala-cart" price to just do what the VW schedule requires each time, rather than saying, for example "do 20,000 mi service). Also if you have other dealers in your area you can check and see if they have better pricing.
  • tmpettytmpetty Member Posts: 1
    We bought a Wolfsburg this summer and are ready for the 10k change now...how difficult was the oil filter to change? I haven't been under the car yet to see where it is, so I'm hoping for good access :D
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    You do not say which engine you have but most VWs can be fully oil-changed from under the hood without getting underneath.

I can change oil and filter on my 1.9L TDI in about 20 minutes without spilling a drop. (Oil Filter is a drop-in cartradge!)

My daughters 2.0L Golf takes about 30 minutes under the hood.

My other daugherts 2.0L NewBeetle takes about 40 minutes because EVERYTHING is so tight under the hood so I need to push a bunch of hoses out of the way to get to the oil-filter.
  • joker55joker55 Member Posts: 49
    Hey guys,

i've got a 1999 Jetta, 2.0L, i do alot of city driving,which i am told is very hard on a car, would it be beneficial for me to switch my oil to synthetic? people have been telling me that if i do that i am forever stuck with synthetic,and if i switch back to conventional, i will destroy the engine *i wouldnt mind having to put syn in it all the time, if its a benefit* also been told that my car will leak like no tomorrow becaue they flow differently, just wondering if it is worth the extra 30+ bucks to have it done each oil change and if any of those risks are common factors when switching or if they happen in rare cases.

also, how long can i go between changes on synthetic compared to the regular dino stuff :-P

any thoughts are appreciated
    I think you have been given a lot of misinformation. You can switch and switch back any time you want.

Is your car leaking oil now? If not then I don't see how the synthetic is going to create any new leakage :confuse: .

My somewhat arbitrary policy, if there are no warranty issues, is to follow OCI of 5000 miles/6 mo. with conventional or 10,000 mi/12 mo. with synthetic. So since the cost ratio is about 2:1 also, there really is no net cost to going with synthetic.
  • magnus1magnus1 Member Posts: 1
    how many quarts of oil does a 2001 jetta 1.8t take.i would like to do a change on it i just bought it used .
  • homerjr5homerjr5 Member Posts: 3
    does any one know how to ground the coil on a 2003 jetta gls?
    It really depends on what engine you have. Some engines even have a seperate coil for each sparkplug.

Most engines contain the ground within the signal cable to the coil(s) to prevent nasty problems caused by ground-loops. It may not be a good idea to add any additional grounds to the coil(s) unless you are trained in electronics and understand the phenomen known as a "ground loop".

Perhaps we could help you better if you explained to us WHY you are asking this question.... exactly what are you trying to accomplish?
  • joker55joker55 Member Posts: 49
    alright so i just switched to synthetic, so what your saying is i am good for 10,000 mi or 12 months before having to change it???

wow! is that what VW recommends?
    Yes, that is the VW schedule for oil changes, at least for our 2005 new Jetta with the 2.5 engine.
    I dont think so!

You said you have a 1999 with 2.0L engine. You really need to follow the OCI (Oil Change Interval) for YOUR modelYear/engine.

The new 2.5L 5-cylinder engine is DESIGNED for a 10K mile OCI.... your 2.0L is not.

You may visit the VW sebsite to find the reccommended OCI for your specific vehicle.
    HINT: It says every 5K miles.
    You are mistaken. The schedule (after the first two) given at your link for the 1999 is every 10,000 mi

1999 VW Jetta maintenance schedule
    Yup - you are correct...I forgot about the 1st to OCIs being doubled-up.
  • homerjr5homerjr5 Member Posts: 3
    well, because my mechanic hooked it up to the tool that checks engine and it said thatthe ignition was open or something like that. he said that that was usually the coil and most often it wouldnt even need to be replaced just regrounded.
  • mdub1mdub1 Member Posts: 1
    I discovered a huge leak this morning. The leak's where the top of the oil filter and whatever tube that attaches to it. I don't know if it's the oil cooler or not. Anyways, my Jetta is a '97 2.0 manual. Could the cause of the leak simply be an O-ring gone bad?
  • jimmydent1jimmydent1 Member Posts: 4
    how do i remove the engine cover on the 2007 jetta ? and is there a schematic online?
    also im wanting to go to a screw on oil filter. any tips?
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    Almost all fasteners have torque wrench requirements. None of the procedures are very hard. However, it makes sense to get either the CD or hard copy and or both, of your model year Bentley's.

Not sure why you would want to go to an aftermarket screw on oil filter. Not many aftermarket products are specified for 30,000 miles OCI's as the oem filters are.
    The drop-in oilfilter has many advantages over the screw-on type.

The thing I like the most is that I can do a complete oilchange from under the hood and not spill a drop of oil. (Using the recommended oil-sucker method)

Specific to the dropin oil-filter...
    *)It has MUCH more filtering surface than spinon (more like a mack-truck spinon!)
    *)Replacing it is painless... just lift out and slide into 1/2 gallon ziplock baggie. No messy,drippy spinon filter which is hard to reach.
  • tmorrisstmorriss Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
    Looking for some guidance on changing the oil in my daughters new 08 Jetta. I've been reading lots of posts and there's been much discussion on changing the oil from the top?

Am I understanding this correctly?

I have been changing my own oil since I was a teenager and in looking at her car, it looks to me like

1- I have to find a darn wrench for this thing?(as i'm sure you all know its on of those deals where you remove the oil filter housing and replace the paper element).
    This is similar to my 05 Toyota Avalon, but of course a different wrench.
    2- Where can I buy a wrench for this thing?
    3- I have to remove the shroud in the bottom front to even GET to the filter?
    4- I see nothing in the owners manual that says synthetic is REQUIRED.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thx
    I see nothing in the owners manual that says synthetic is REQUIRED.

It says oil meeting VW specs is required. Only certain synthetic oils meet this spec.
    In other words - what this means is that just any ol synthetic oil may not be good enough. VW makes it pretty simple, just use oil that meets their specs.

The tricky part may be locating oil that meets those specs. 8-)

Personally, I use only Pentosin oil in my VW. Pentosynth oils are made in Germany and used in thousands of VWs across Europe.

In fact, Pentosin Oil is what VW engines have in when delivered from the factory.

BTW: I also use pentosin Brake fluid and pentosin antifreeze.

I once tried using Elf oil (Made in France) but found that my engine tended to consume it and needed oil added between oil-chagnes.

There is another oil Total Quartz which actually meets VWs most stringent 505.00 spec.
    Update to my above append... the "Total Quartz" oil is apparently just the "ELF" oil repackaged into different bottles.

Here is the explanation about this rename
  • monroe5monroe5 Member Posts: 1
    Hey, does anyone have any info on changing the oil in a Jetta?
  • surfmansurfman Member Posts: 11
    Just purchased an '04 Jetta GL with the 2.0L engine. Question #1: I use Mobil 1 in all of my cars and am wondering if Mobil 1 meets VW specifications? Question #2: What is the VW oil filter part # and approximate cost? Question #3: Where is the cabin air (pollen) filter located and can anyone provide directions on replacing it with a new one and approximate cost of the cabin air filter? Thanks for you help in advance.
    Does anyone know how to reset the maintenance reminder that comes on at 5000 miles on a 2008 Jetta 2.5?

The owners manual only says it has to be reset. Doesn't say how.
    It says something to the effect 'if you have your oil changed by a dealer, they reset the reminder. if you have you oil set by a non authorized VW service center, have your VW dealer reset the reminder'

ya... right. I'm gonna pay to take it to the dealer so they can push a button or something.

has anyone does this on an 08 Jetta 2.5.

Thx in advance
    The answer to your question is the same as most of the answers about VWs ---> VagCom If you had botherd to use the SEARCH button - you would have already discoverd this.

BTW - Many independent mechanics use VagCom in their shop because it is as good or BETTER than the factory computer diagnostic tool!
    Well thanks for the answer. ITs appreciated. BUT.. you can keep the rest of your sarcasm to yourself. For your information I DID search, but found no hits. Didn't see anything wrong with asking a simple question. Next time I guess I won't bother you!
    I don't know the answer to your question, but I would think that there would be some other way to reset that other than buying a vag-com. Unless you already have one or plan to get one for other reasons, it seems like an excessive expense for such a minor thing.
    You could try:

1) Press and HOLD the trip-odometer button "0.0".
    2) Turn your key on.
    3) Release the trip-odometer button.
    4) Push and release the Clock Minute Set Button "min".

More detailed version:

1. Keys out of ignition- press and hold in trip odometer reset button "0.0" on right hand side of display
    2. Still holding this button down, insert key into ignition and put to the on position without starting the car.
    3. Display will read "service now"
    4. let go of the "0.0" button and depress the "m" button on the left hand side of the display. this will re-set the service reminder. There is no confirmation on the display other than the words "service now" will disappear.

You can confirm that the service reminder has been reset, or check how many miles/days remain until service at any time by taking key out of the ignition and holding in the trip reset "0.0" button for between 3 and 5 seconds. The MFD will display miles and hours until next service.

These were posted as reset procedure for Rabbit (can not imagine Jetta would be different) on a VW forum.
    My goodness tmorriss - Perhaps your searching skills can use some improvement...

I went to www.google.com and typed in VW "service reminder" and got at least 14,300 'hits'. (How could you possibly have gotten NO HITS at all???)

I quickly scanned several of them and the VAGCOM is mentioned so you can reset or TURN OFF the reminder forever.

There are other ways you can turn it off too. (Not sure if they will work)

BTW:
    *)Many autoparts stores (Autozone...etc) will reset for free.
    *)Folks with VagCom are usually eager to help fellow VW owners.
    (just search for the list of VAGCOM owners)
    I had assumed he meant that he searched this forum.
  • clzibertclzibert Member Posts: 2
    Hi all--at the chance to risking the rath of pbeebles, I ask the following question:

My 06 Jetta 2.5 is at 25k--do I need to take it in for service? The owner's manual doesn't show a scheduled service until 30k. The dealer tells me I need to go in, but why isn't this listed in the maintenance requirements? Can the car really go 10k without an oil change? Is the synthetic oil really that good? I took my old 03 Jetta in every 5k, but I thought that was the requirement...

Also, does it matter that I regular miss the the 3 month window for the oil change (i.e. bring at at 25k or by 6/30/08)? Does the oil get old or something sitting in the engine too long? I travel a lot for work an often take public transport to the office when in town so it sits a lot.

Thanks guys--clearly I'm no mechanic so I appreciate your help. And yes, I did google this and found nothing helpful.
    We have been following the VW schedule, which (after 5K and 10K) is every 12 mo. or 10,000 miles. Since we do not drive a lot, the 12 mo. comes first for us. So after the 5K and 10K changes we have changed at about 7000-8000 miles due it being 12 months since the prior change. If we drove more I'd have no qualms about going 10K on VW spec synthetic.

What do you mean by "3 mo. window"? Is your dealer like ours and trying to get you to come in every 3 mo./5000 miles? If I bought into that idiocy, we'd be changing oil at about 2000 miles. You need only follow VW requirements to be sure they will not try to use it against you should there be a warranty issue.

We have another vehicle that is sometimes surplus, so not getting used much and I just try to be sure some one drives it for at least 10-15 miles every couple weeks. This frequency is based on vehicle storage recomendations that are in the manual for that vehicle.
  • clzibertclzibert Member Posts: 2
    OK--good to know. I won't take it in until 30k then. Yes, the dealer insists I come in every 3 mos. or 5k miles. I looked at th book after my last service at 20k and thought to myslef "wait a minute here." Got the oil changed in December I think, current at 26.5k miles so I guess I'll wait a while.

Thanks for your help!
    Hi. THANK YOU! Very much for the suggestions. I will try them and let you know.
    Hi,
    Bummer.... I tried the suggestion. Unfortunately, it did not work :(
    I'm quite surprised, because its very similar to what you have to do on Toyota's(except for pressing the M buton on the clock). But no go.
    Thx anyway though.
    If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm game.
  • thecarbuffthecarbuff Member Posts: 7
    Im looking at good reliable cars for a first car and stumbled upon the 1994-1998 jetta and ive done some research onit and im comparing it to a few oother cars.

so is this pricy to maintain or is it just another :lemon:
  • jerryjarjerryjar Member Posts: 1
    i checked the dip stick on my 1995 vw jetta and it looks like pure oil in the transmission,Ive never seen a trany that uses oil,just transmission fluid,did someone screw up or does the transmission on a 95 jetta take oil in the trany?also it doesn't say on the stick whether i should check the level with it running in park or neutral,,anybody got the answer for me,the tranny works fine but i still would like to know what type of fluid and how to check it properly
  • tlesupertlesuper Member Posts: 1
    I received a company bulletin on a 2008 VW jetta concerning the use of aftermarket oil filters and that a plate on the filter mounting pad needs to be removed or the engine will fail due to insufficient oil pressure. Is this correct and what does the plate do and look like?
    I have no idea, but why not just use the OEM filter, rather than risk having this problem. :confuse:
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    That perzactly what I was thinking. Better yet just have the dealer change the oil and filter. If anything happens at least they have a record that it was done at the dealer. Might be worth the extra $$$ the dealer charges.
    It is ALWAYS a good idea to quality German-made filters and replacement parts for a VW.... Did you not purchase a VW due to its German-engineering to begin with?

All too often, I have "sampled" the FRAM filters at wallymart only to find them of poor-quality and construction.

HOWEVER: Ocasionally, I open a FRAM box at wallyMart and find a REAL German-made filter within. (Brand name = MANN)

When I do find MANN filters at WallMart, I purchase several of them.
  • rsbeemerrsbeemer Member Posts: 1
    My dealer reset my service reminder (blinking wrench) to a 5k interval at the last oil change- they do that sometimes to make people think that there is a service required every 5k. When i told the dealer to reset it back to 10k interval- it was done w/o any problems or questions.
    There is an easy way to reset that service reminder light by yourself:
    1) first turn on the ignition, than press the 0.0 button on the right side of the dashboard than turn off the ignition still pressing the 0.0 button
    2) release the 0.0 button than pres M button on the left side of the dashboard.
    It worked on my '07 rabbit.
    And yes u can change oil every 10k because it is a Castrol synthetic plus u have over 6 quarts of it.
  • jimmydent1jimmydent1 Member Posts: 4
    a little help please: im trying to change the air filter on a 07 jetta. the dealer says the top engine cover pops up. but i dont want to break anything, and i have pulled on it. any tips or is there more to it. also a web site with a exploded view would be great. thanks jim.
    You did not mention WHICH ENGINE you have.... since VW offers at least 3 different engines, you may need to give us more details.

I know the cover for the 5-cylinder 2.5L pops-up. Try to "pop" on corner at a time by grasping as close as possible to each knob.

If you feel it is too hard to "pop"... once you have it off, you may apply a thin layer of rubber-safe grease to the knobs which seat into the rubber grommets.

There is also a clamp and 2 screws to remove which holds the the air-intake hoses in place.

Here is a link to photos for the 2.5L engine
  • efgunzefgunz Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2002 jetta tdi with about 188k miles. last oil change was at 180k. i already know i'm overdue for oil change--plan to do tomorrow. what other filters or regular maintenance would you recommend? i read the post about using an actual vw oil filter--i plan to. thanks in advance for any help on this. --f