Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler Hard and Soft Tops

Comments

• chasjaychasjay Member Posts: 4
    I have purchased the bikini top from Best top and found it to be adequate. however i am having trouble with the install. i have the header and the everything buckled down but i cant seem to figure out the side, where do i slide the plastic into the door channel if i even have door side rails. it just seems to be causing me some issues. if anyone has any words of advise or tips it would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks in advance.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Not sure on the 07's but the older TJ's had door surrounds that provided side anchor points for the bikini/safari and the soft top. What do the instructions say about installation? It will be a tight fit the first time putting the bikini on and can be frustrating.

-Paul
    the instuction recommend sliding the plastic piece into the side door rail slot. i think it is that my jeep did not come with the door surrounds that i need. so my next question is if that is the case, is there a place i can either order the door surrounds and the tailgate bar? or will i have to live with what i have, a gap that really isnt noticable. i was merely thinking for rain purposes on the go. i also ordered the duster and at this point certain i need that tailgate bar to connect it. any ideas on where to get that from?
    thanks for the response you certainly have put it into perspective for me.
    Bestop vendors like Quadratec, JCWhitney, etc can have the tailgate bar you need. I have a spare, but it's for a TJ, not the new JK's.

eBay may be a better place and possibly cheaper if you don't mind used.

Door surrounds: Try the dealer, ebay, or www.jeepsareus.com. I think the door surrounds are multiple pieces and the part I priced (right side frame, 1 of 2 ) was 80 by itself. So you're probably looking at 200 EASY for door surrrounds.

I know the TJ bikini/safari covers have wraps that will let you do the top using the cage, but there will be a gap between it and the door.

As for rainy weather, neither the safari or bikini will keep water out of the Jeep if it is raining. If you decided to run this top, invest in a cab cover that you can put on when using that top to protect the interior. It's also good and keeping the neighborhood cats out of the Jeep (if ya know what I mean).

-Paul
    thanks paul, i know exactly what you mean by the cat phrase. i really wasnt concerned about the rain. my wife likes the look of the bikini top and she is always complaining about how hot it is in the sun. to her defense she did get pretty burnt last year...(yikes)
    but i will look into the door surrounds but, the jeep cover is probably a better option if we are going to go somewhere and dont want to take the hard top on and off. thanks for the assist on this one.
    all the best
    Chuck -
    Chuck,

No problem. For covers, Bestop makes one, as does www.jeepcovers.com (I have this one). JeepCovers has made the cover longer and it fits over the bikini's and safaris just fine.

-Paul
  • wantwranglerwantwrangler Member Posts: 1
    can someone talk about the difference between the two offered tops on the '08 WRANGLER UNLIMITED? I am interested in ease of on/off use mostly, leakage, noise, etc. I think I prefer the freedom top for many reasons, but see myself most-often only removing the front two panels. interested in all thoughts, opinions, etc.
  • wendysingerwendysinger Member Posts: 18
    Today's my birthday. And for my birthday, my husband bought me the Bestop no-drill header w/ safari top. I was so happy to install it on my '06 Unlimited. But, What a pain in the a**!!!

I am not an idiot and have done my own maintenance on most of my vehicles since I was able to drive. But, I cannot install this thing. I have pushed on the front of it until my shoulders gave out but it will not seat right! Even if I do get it installed in the upright position, it just tilts back down (is pulled down by the brackets). Those of you who've installed it will know what I'm talking about. My husband and I tried to install it together as well...no luck! To make matters worse, one of the endcaps is now broken. Is this thing really meant to fit my Jeep? I'm just sick (and pissed off). Can I return it now that it is busted?

:mad: It took me a long time to talk my husband into buying this and now I'm going to hear alot of "I told you so".
    Are we talking for a TJ or a new JK?

For my TJ, I have the no-drill header too. I stand on my rocker guards to reach em. Then as I screw them down, I press down on the front of the bar to hold em down.

-Paul
    It's a TJ, '06 was the last year.

Both my husband and myself stood up in the seats and leaned onto the header to get it into position and tighten the bolts, but it still rotated back back when we let go. All of this took us several hours of having to leave the project to re-asess and take a breath.
    So...I'm fed up with the no-drill header and safari top. I'm going to just try having the top up with no windows. I've done it before but I don't like the drag that's created by the rear corner panels of the top. Has anyone tried tucking them up and fastening them to something? Any advice?
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    You need the 'Clover Patch Convert-A-Top'! It provides pockets for you to roll up those rear panels and tuck them away to stop them flapping. Costs around $30

Product Page

On the other hand, you could just wrap a bungee cord around each one, which achieves the same effect. :)
    Thank you. Actually, I was so fed up that I jerry-rigged it myself and it looks better than the Safari top. On my Unlimited, the roll bars don't come straight down in the back like yours. So I just took the corner flaps and pulled them all the way up to the top roll bar (parallel) and used the cords that were included with my sunrider top to secure them. Now it looks fabulous!

I should have just used my own brain in the first place instead of giving my money to someone else. LESSON LEARNED!
  • jmunerajmunera Member Posts: 1
    I bought a soft top for my 87 wrangler and have not been able to get off the original metallic half doors to replace them with the new soft half doors. some one can help me??
    whats up,

quick questions on the fitting of the aforementioned product. I have the 08 JK, and have purchased this top just for emergencgies (it helps the no hassle top feel, when you need the rear space). Anyway, I am not certain i have this thing on correctly. it fits over the cab, and everything. but the rear end seems tricky. it has a alot of extra fabric(most likely for when the top is on) but it blows aound in the wind, and quite frankly looks pathetic.
    let me know if anyone has thoughts on how to correctly get this thing on.
  • walkeruhlwalkeruhl Member Posts: 1
    I have removed the doors my 2005 Jeep Wrangler and the lights stay on. I need to push in the two triggers on the door but they won't stay in. Is there a switch or over for the triggers that keeps them in?
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    Pull Fuse #4 behind the glovebox.

You can also install a bypass switch, but the quick and easy is to pull fuse 4.

Switch example: http://www.quadratec.com/products/13029_200.htm

Clip example: http://www.quadratec.com/products/13029_100.htm

Me? I made a version of the switch but it runs under my OBDII diagnostic port so I don't have to lean over to get it. I also have a lighted map/mirror setup for my rearview mirror that provides more light than the dome light, so my interior lights are off most of the time anyway. :)

-Paul
  • di13di13 Member Posts: 1
    Hello friendly jeep people. How do I find out what years and what other jeep types my 2007 Sahara sunrider soft top would fit. I am trying to sell it and people are asking me if it would fit a 2 door with an unlimited base etc.. I don't know if it just fits only a 2007 and if it has to be a Sahara. I appreciate in advance anyone who knows any info. Thank you.
    It will only fit 2007 and up Wrangler (JK's) that have the same number of doors. If your JK is a 4 door, it will fit other 4 door JK's regardless of trim level.

It will NOT fit the other sized JK's and it will NOT fit 86-95 Wrangler (YJ or TJ).

-Paul
  • imcookinimcookin Member Posts: 1
    I have both a hard top and soft top for my 2008 4-door Wrangler. I keep the hard top on for the winter, and put the soft top on for the summer. I've had our local dealership do the installation for me, but it is a huge hassle (not to mention a little costly). I've got the hard top on now, and would like to replace it myself with the soft top. Does anyone know of a good installation manual for that? The one that came with the car isn't very helpful. Thanks.
  • edf4edf4 Member Posts: 65
    First off, it's a JEEP, not a car. Now that we've gotten that straight, the best suggestion I have for installing the soft top the first time, (I agree, the manual is confusing), would be to ask a fellow soft top JK (model designation for your '08 Unlimited) owner in your area to assist you with the installation. Most Jeep owners would be glad to help out another, I know I would. If that's not an option, then have the dealer do it on emopre time, but stand beside them and watch/learn so next year you know how to do it yourself. Once you've done it, you'll have it mastered. Enjoy!
    Sage advice, but a TJ owner could probably assist too. They really are not THAT different.

-Paul
  • busman01busman01 Member Posts: 46
    I am considering purchasing a used jeep (2005 or newer). Can someone cover the pros and cons of a softtop vs a hardtop.

Thanks.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I prefer the softtop on the 2007 and up JK Wranglers as the Freedom Tops seem to have a chronic problem with leaks. Prior to 2007 it's a matter of personal preference. Again I prefer the ragtop.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I have the 2007 JK Unlimited with both tops. The leaks on the Freedom (hard) top was a short lived problem on the very early models, but has since been eliminated. I agree with roadburner that the choice is really one of personal preference.
    Personally, I use both tops but if I could only have one, I'd take the hard top, (pre-2007 and certainly 2007+, becasue of the removable panels). My reasoning is this: with the hard top, in the summer you can remove the doors and open the back window, and get virtually all of the benefits of no top. Having a roof over your head in the summer is also good, because without it, when you are in traffic, you will BAKE. Light rain, hot sun, even some wind turbulence at highway speed will blocked by the roof. Then when it gets cold, put on the doors and you will be warmer, have better theft security, can use a (light duty) roof rack, and will better be able to enjoy conversations and the sound of your radio. Plus, over time, your hard top glass windows will not fade and crack like they will on the soft top.
    However, there is nothing quite as much fun as driving around in summer with no doors and no top! Oh, decisions, decisions . . . .
    The leaks on the Freedom (hard) top was a short lived problem on the very early models, but has since been eliminated.

Sadly, that's just not so. :(
  • tedjantedjan Member Posts: 1
    Hello Group,I hope this question was not addressed previously.(i did search).My wife just bought a 2009 Wrangler Sahara 2 door with the freedom hardtop and was wondering what was the best way to store the panels inside the car when removed.
    Our salesman said to place them between the front and rear seats but were hoping someone has a better solution than that.
    Thanks in advance for your input.
    Congratulations on your wife's fine choice - she will love her Jeep!
    If she insists on keeping the panels with her in the Jeep, as opposed to at home, I can think of two alternative options: (1) she could remove the back seat and lay them flat on the floor, but if she does this, she should place a blanket or some covering between them so they don't scratch each other; or (2) Mopar sells a panel carrier that attaches to the trailer hitch. There may be a picture of it on the Jeep or Mopar website. Or, there is at least one aftermarket manufacturer who sells a roof rack that hold the panels, but probably not for highway use. If you do an internet search, you will find A LOT of aftermarket items for the Jeep. Enjoy!!
  • fishous13fishous13 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a soft top for my 2009 4D unlimited.

It came with the freedom top.

Are there any recommended soft tops out there that are more reasonably priced? I see a ton in the jeep magazines...but do not know where to start. I need something reasonably easy to install that can be interchanged with the freedom top. Something that allows flexibility and easy storage as well as durability Suggestions?
  • envy1envy1 Member Posts: 1
    does any one know if this is a warrantee item?
    Should be. 3yr/36Kmiles bumper to bumper minus consumables like clutch plates, wiper blades, and brake pads.

Tailgate brackets shouldn't be consumable. ;)
  • rwitbeckrwitbeck Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Wrangler that studders when running at any less then 1800 rpm's. It bucks real bad unless I constantly down shift to keep rpm's high. It also smoke's pritty bad which makes me think it has alot of carbon build up. I live on a island where you can hardly get above 40 mph which is not helping the carbon problem. Any ideas on how to make it run a little smother would be great. Ry
    Additives to gas to help clean the injectors and valves.

Check for oil leaks. Run synthetics. Check your air filter. Check for any codes for your throttle position sensor.

-Paul
    Key word is reasonable.

I knew of one locally for 600, but is that reasonable?

Check craigslist, ebay, and various jeep forums and you may find a deal. But you'll need the frame/hardware to mount it. Bestop is about the best/only game in town for a quality top for a Jeep.

-Paul
    Might be worth checking the ignition system too (plugs, coil pack etc.).
  • ctwranglerctwrangler Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone experienced the soft top windows pulling out from the door frame at highway speeds? Any thoughts on how to resolve the problem?
    Yep, all the time. Are they becoming detached?

You'd rather them bow out than to bow in. MUCH quieter. If I'm on the highway and running windows up (like in the fall), I'll run the fan to get positive pressure inside and bow the windows out - otherwise they'll flap.

-Paul
  • retired17retired17 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, just got my first jeep and it has a soft top, however it was never installed. Does any one know of videos on line that would help. This is a 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Thanks
    It sounds like you have not properly fitted the stiff edge of the window panel into the groove in the plastic door surround frame. This is assuming you have a 2007 or newer Jeep. To better understand what I am saying, take a look at the vertical edge of the soft window frame that faces the rear door. You will see that it has a stiff "L" shaped edge, (though the size of each edge is equal). Now open the door and you will see that the plastic door surround has a vertical groove in it. You will need to stretch/pull the window toward the rear door, (it helps if it is hot outside and the velcro on the top and rear edge of the window is not attached to the top), and then fit the leading edge of the stiff "L" edge into the groove on the door surround. I usually start at the bottom and work up. Once fitted properly, the top of the "L" (the long side in this example) will be in the groove and the bottom of the "L" (the short side in this example) will be flat against the edge of the surround where the door weatherstripping hits it. It may take a minute or so to work it fully into the groove. Now press the velcro tight on the top and back and your window will not pull out from the door frame at any speed. The more you do it, the easier it gets, because the fabric will stretch over time.
  • all4my98tjall4my98tj Member Posts: 2
    My 98 TJ soft top has seen better days... My amazing parents have bought me a replacement top i think from best top... my question is, how do i get the old top off... and how do i get the new one on. I think there is a manual for installing the new one, but I dont know how to remove the old. Does anyone know of a good website or manual i can use for step by step instructions on removing the old one!?

I need to get it on while the weather is hot, and dry! Help!
    Soft top fabric is attached at each of the hardware 'bows'.

Rear most two bows (that attach to the cage behind the front seats) should just velcro or snap around the bar. Easy peasy.

The front bow is the windshield header. On my 97, that is held on via 10 or so screws. The screws go through the top where it is reinforced with plastic and screw into the header. Just note how you remove it and reverse the process as necessary. You may need to remove the top from the rear two bows and 'flip' it forward so you can see the screws. They may be hidden by fabric as I know the front attachment loops over itself.

-Paul
  • all4my98tjall4my98tj Member Posts: 2
    I seem to have some wiring issues in my control panel. As i'm driving, occasionally all of my needles will drop... if i bang on the dash, they all pop back up. I'm not overly worried about it, although sometimes my Check engine light comes on, as well as the airbag light... and i'm afraid that its going to come on and i'm going to dismiss it and there will actually be big problems. Anyone else have this problem?

One other thing... i have this rattling in my drivers side door... i know its coming fromt he handle because if i pull on it slightly it will stop. Is there just something i need to tighten inside the door panel that will make this annoying noise stop?!

Thanks!
    I think there is a manual for installing the new one, but I dont know how to remove the old.

There's actually a video that came with the Jeep when it was new that shows the whole process. I'm sure it will be on a download site somewhere.
    Disconnect your battery.

For the dash, remove the vent cover over the defrost. Then remove the kick panel under the dash. Remove the metal cover under the kick panel. You can now remove the black cover around the dash. THEN you can remove the actual dash itself. Take some rubbing alcohol on a q-tip and clean the metal spades that are the connection point for the dash to the harness (mounted in the metal underneath on the firewall - impossible to miss). Do the same for the harness side. Some of the spades may be a little bent or tweaked. Straighten them as best you can. THEN, apply some dielectric grease to it to ensure a good connection.

Once you've done that, reconnect your battery. This should have reset any codes and your dash should be good to go. If any codes show up now, take it to Autozone and they can read the codes for you for further diagnosis, repair.

For your door, you running full or half?

For simple stuff like that, a Haynes manual (usually at Autozone or the like) is an inexpensive guide to working on things. If you want to do more of your own stuff, get a Factory Service Manual - they are invaluable at working more complex issues.

-Paul
  • conqueror6conqueror6 Member Posts: 1
    I am stuck. How do you get the bolt that is near the rear doors out so I can take my hard top off? the one from underneath?
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I've started using DeoxIT contact cleaners for jobs like the IP gauge fix. You can find it at Radio Shack. It isn't cheap, but it's amazing stuff.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• busman01busman01 Member Posts: 46
    Just an FYI...

I was negotiating with a dealer on a 2010 Wrangler with the Freedom Top. He just called to say the supplier of the Freedom Top had gone bankrupt and they currently are not available. Jeep is looking for a supplier, and anticipates the hard tops will not be available until the 1st qtr of 2010.
    Given their propensity to leak, that isn't necessarily a bad thing IMO...

-Paul
  • davedenndavedenn Member Posts: 26
    I have an 83 CJ7 with metal doors. I would like to remove the doors during the summer and replace them in the winter when I reinstall the hard top. Is it possible to just remove the hinge pins and leave half the hinge on the vehicle as one would in a house? I have read several post involving using a grinder to remove the top of the pin after the hinge and door have been totally removed from the Jeep. Is this really necessary? My model has the mirrors mounted onto the door hinges and that makes it difficult to run without them and the doors too. I would like to install soft half-doors for the summer if that makes any difference. Any ideas?

:confuse:
    I don't quite understand what you want to do, but if you are concerned that removing the doors will take the mounted mirrors with them, there are several aftermarket manufacturers of mirrors that sell mirrors that mount on the base of the A pillar of the windshield. Do a search for Jeep mirrors or parts, and you will find a treasure trove of stuff. door less and topless is THE way to enjoy your Jeep in summer!!