Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler Hard and Soft Tops

Comments

• goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    No, it should work fine with the full doors, actually. I had a Bestop Sunrider top for my 98 at one point and the steel doors sealed up fine, metal surrounds are included with Bestop tops. There is no difference b/w the Bestop Supertop that comes with or without full soft doors.

For the record, I've got the Bestop 2-piece doors right now and use them with a frameless (non-Bestop) soft top in the summer. The windows fit into the top and the doors fit nicely behind the rear seat.

• mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I'm glad I qualified my answer as a guess! :shades:

Makes you wonder why the factory couldn't have done the same with the top.
  • tw4bluethundertw4bluethunder Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the information guys. I was able to get a hold of bestop and they said that I am able to interchange the 2-peice doors with the full steel doors if I buy the supertop with the 2-peice doors. Thanks again.
    You're welcome. The Bestop soft doors are great around town because they yank on and off instantly, but the fabric vibrates noisily on the highway. The steel doors are much better above 50mph.
  • j_baumberj_baumber Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 4-door Sahara with a Sunrider Soft-Top. When I was test driving it, I noticed that when the top was flipped back it covered a little of the back seat area but not all. The salesman said that I could configure the top to cover my kids in the back and/or I could purchase a Safari Top to do this.

Does anybody know how I could cover the rear passengers, but leave the front area open?

This is my first Jeep and I am loving it!
    Thanks for any help that you can give.
  • erin6erin6 Member Posts: 1
    We just purchased a 2000 Wrangler and have two problems. 1 - After putting the soft top up and down a few times we noticed we had somehow ripped it just above the passenger door. The tear is about 8" long and runs parallel to the door frame. There was an identical tear on the drivers side that was mended before we bought it. It looks like whoever fixed it sewed a long strip of canvas type material on the back and then reinforced the stitching on the outside with a black rubbery looking material. Anyone have this issue before and if so, how did you solve it? Any ideas on what the sealant is? Any experience with sewing up a soft top - would it be easier and not too pricey to have someone else fix it? If so, who? The Jeep dealership in my area said to get a new top but I see that it's been fixed before so I know it can be done.

2 - There's a small hole - about cigarette butt size - in the back plastic window. Any ideas on mending it?

Many thanks. This is my first time posting to an online forum of any type.
    you have a few different options here. Many marine canvas places can do some of the repairs you are asking about, so you might check with one in your area. Alternatively, you can either get a Bestop replacement top in whole or in part, which would use your original hardware and not be difficult for you to install. It would be much cheaper than anything the dealership could get for you, and Bestop actually makes the canvas tops for Jeep anyway.

Go check out Quadratec, 4wd.com, or any of the other aftermarket Jeep sites. You'll find the Replace-a-tops pretty quickly. Finding individual windows and other parts of the top may take a little more time, but they are also available, if you spend some time digging.
  • abcincabcinc Member Posts: 2
    Hi, what is or where is #4?

Thanks
    The missing word is 'fuse' (as in fuse #4)............ and the fuse itself is located in the fuse block behind the glove box. :)
  • sciguy85sciguy85 Member Posts: 45
    How is the top supposed to lay. I've tried numerous ways and part of the top rests against the spare carrier and the side supports just hang in mid air bouncing around. I'm concerned that the top will flap and rub on the carrier. Any ideas?
  • ljimboljimbo Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 06 Unlimited in October 06 used (9K miles) in excellent shape. Got it for about $5K less then dealer wanted for remaining 06s, or $7K less than the 07 4door I wanted. The Unlimited is loaded with options (for a Wrangler) as standard equipment. The ride/handling is nice on highway due to long wheelbase, compared to my 97 I sold prior. The Sunrider softop is a nice feature once you figure the best technique for lowering/raising. I have only had 3 problems. #1, the softop leaks like a screen door in HEAVY rain. I have found 2" of water in the floor at times. I believe it is due to a different design in the windshield frame gaskets than used on my 98 (which never leaked after 98K miles). It remains a problem. #2, The other is with the front passenger seat. A spring-pin popped out and bent, keeping the seat from sliding/folding/tumbling. Kids have to use driver's seat till I fix it. #3, Take the locking gas cap off and throw in the trash, replace with one that won't strip out and spin on you when your low fuel light comes on. Overall I love it. My opinion, the factory knew they were closing the plant after the last 06 Unlimited's were made, so the fit/finish/quality of workmanship sucks compared to my 98 TJ. Maybe go with an 04/05. (*04 Unlimited LJ was auto trans only).
  • carlosarturohpcarlosarturohp Member Posts: 4
    Hi freinds, can some one tell me the differance from a hard top for a jeep (87-96) and a hard top for a jeep (97-05).
    I have a 98 jeep with full doors and soft doors, but some one is selling me a hard top from a 93 jeep, would it fit? please let me know. thanks
    Carlos
    :);) :shades:
    Doors are a different shape for a start. Won't fit without a large injection of money and skill.
  • carlosarturohpcarlosarturohp Member Posts: 4
    hey thanks for the reply Mac24, the thing now here is that i have a freind who works the fiber glass and he told me to get a hard top that will fit my jeep and that he can make a hard top for like 250 dlls so i think is a good deal, i would have to put all the glases and everything needed, now another freind has a 93 jeep with hard top and hi's telling me that he can lend it to me to do one, again i needed to know what else should i put attention when modifing the top.. please let me know what else should i have to modify.
    thanks again, Carlos
    :D:(:)
    It isn't going to work. The angle of the windshield is different, for starters, so the front of the top is going to come down too far forward. The doors do not have the same shape along the windshield, again because of the angle. You can swap CJ and YJ hard tops with some work, but neither will fit on a 97+ TJ.
  • anrolanrol Member Posts: 2
    Hi Erin,
    Can't help with the patch that needs to be done, but I can tell you to check ebay for a replacement window. I just got a side window panel for $10. Fit my jeep perfectly, and the condition is just as good as the other windows. $10 is a lot better than the $450 the dealer told me.
  • anrolanrol Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I bought an 01 TJ a couple of months ago and recently took my rear window out. Something I read somewhere about driving on the highway and mileage. But alas, I can not get the bugger back in again. The zipper is near impossible to move. My questions are, is it safe to lubricate the fabric/zipper to get the slider to do it's job? And does anyone know why they would make a zipper that needs to go all the way around twice to close? Is there any aftermarket options to covert the rear window into the same set up as the older models that were able to roll up?
    Thanks for any help
  • featherjackfeatherjack Member Posts: 1
    i replaced the soft top on my sahara, and now i can't take it off by myself. the old top (pretty beat up) i could fold under the roll bar (just the front) and did not have to remove the windows or the entire top.
    are there any soft tops on the market (new or used) where the front top can just be folded back and clipped without taking the whole thing off?

single female here, not terribly strong (but i could work the old top)
    featherjack
  • mb789mb789 Member Posts: 89
    I am thinking of getting new Wrangler in the next year or so. Does anyone know if you can replace the soft top on a Wrangler with half doors with a hard top? Do you have to have full metal door frames to be able to have a hard top?

Thanks.
  • abcincabcinc Member Posts: 2
    It called a bikini top. Search google for it.

Dave
  • jerrydockjerrydock Member Posts: 29
    It is called a bimini top. the rednecks started the term bikini top because they did not have exposure to sport fishing boats.
  • huskycountryhuskycountry Member Posts: 13
    Hi all I have a 07 Unlimited Sahara 4dr with a hard top. Got it the end of March and love it. I was wondering if there are any suggestions as to what or what not to use to keep the top looking good. Thanks so much for any info!
  • wendysingerwendysinger Member Posts: 18
    Hi All...

I have an '06 Unlimited which is my daily driver (kids, etc.) Currently I have a soft top but am looking into an aftermarket hard top. I really like the 2 piece tops like the one from Rally Top in CA; then I can still have easy access to the outdoors. My husband is trying to talk me out of it, says the one piece is alot more practical (less possibility of leaks). Well, Jeeps are not practical in the first place. Does anyone have any experience with the 2 piece tops? How difficult is it to remove and then reinstall the front piece? If its too difficult, then there is no point, I might have to settle for a hard top that never gets removed :cry:
  • bobsee60bobsee60 Member Posts: 1
    Hello All... New to this forum and first post... Purchased 2008 Wrangler with Freedom Top and expect delivery soon... Plan to travel NY to Fl Jan/08 where I will remove and store hard top (good advice on forum re storage methods)... Question; anyone use this setup and how effective is it keeping out the elements, ease of installation and can the tailgate be opened with the duster in place???
  • nickhillnickhill Member Posts: 1
    Hello guys,
    I am looking to by a jeep in the coming months and was wondering your opinions as to whether a hard or soft top is better??? Are the soft tops really THAT bad at high speeds??? Im not the strongest girl in the world either, so is it a big process to take a hard top on and off....so much so you would just leave it on??? Is it true soft tops on models after 2001 are quieter???
    Hi,

I'll say it first...it depends on what you are going to do. I have had both, at different times. Right now I have my first soft top. It's an unlimited and I've had it for over a year.

If you are getting a jeep because you want to be able to take the top off and get back to nature...you could get the soft top or get a top with the removeable front panel: Either the new freedom top or an aftermarket top. The soft top is loud and hard to have a conversation on the freeway. I have the soft top and can take it on and off in about 15 minutes. For me, the joy of the few times I can drive with the top off outweigh all of the hassles.

The hard top is much quieter and more secure in terms of break-ins. I shuttle my 2 daughters around any my husband would feel much better if I was in a hard top (so I just drive my Sequioa in bad weather). However, most people who get a hard top end up leaving it on for several years until they just can't stand it any longer. It takes a small team of people to take it off and is hard to store. If you have enough space, you can get a lift for your garage to help you get the top off; but there's all of the bolts and such.

The MOST important thing is to drive one of each, on the freeway, to help you make up your mind.
  • kgabehurtkgabehurt Member Posts: 84
    wendysinger: Any idea how much the Wrangler 2-door hard top weighs? They must be heavy if lifts are being sold so as to remove them.
    I have no idea, but my husband owned a wrangler hardtop for 4 years. He really customized it: lift, tires, wheels, stereo, ect. But, he NEVER took the top off...too much of a problem. I didn't see what the point was to buy a jeep if you didn't take off the top.

Some people take off their hard top and put a bikini top on. But it's still such a hassle that most of the time the hard top just sits there in the garage.
    A hard top is in the 100lb range. Maybe a little less. But it's awkward to handle and requires two reasonably strong people to lift on and off. Mine comes off in April and goes back on around now. It takes 10 minutes or so to reconnect all the bolts etc. You can build a cart for it pretty easily so save garage space.

If you have the space, I'd get both unless you live in a very warm (Florida, SoCal, Arizona) environment. Dropping the top is such a part of owning a Jeep, I don't understand folks who never take the hard top off.
  • twal1209twal1209 Member Posts: 2
    Hey I have a 1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ and just got a hard top for it. The top fits perfectly but I realized the windows from my soft top setup doesn't fit the top. Is the only solution to buy full steel doors or will some kind of window work with my half doors? Thanks a lot to anyone that can help me.
    Bestop makes some hard half-doors but they are a little on the pricey side. I'd track down a pair of used full doors on ebay or craigslist.
  • twal1209twal1209 Member Posts: 2
    Yeah that's what I thought. Thanks a lot
  • jc45jc45 Member Posts: 5
    Hello ! I am looking to buy my first Wrangler, a used one from the years 2000-2006, 6 cyl, and manual. Just for fun, a weekend vehicle to use down here in Florida, but to me all of them look alike. Which one will you recommend. Thank you for your help ! JC
  • kimdarr1kimdarr1 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a black top for a 2003 Jeep Wrangler. I need the windows and everything. Doesnt have to be new as long as it is in good shape.
  • docscott1docscott1 Member Posts: 5
    Getting ready to negotiate a lease on a '08 Sahara Unlimited. Anyone know the current residual for this?
  • vtmets1vtmets1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 1994 wrangler, the jeep has a hard top, Jeep originally had a soft top. There is only 2 bolts holding the top on. At about 30 miles an hour, a lot of noise from the top, a wind noise from the front of the vehicle. Is this normal? Do I need to put a gasket between the top and the windsheild?? Thanks in advance. Matt
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    JC45, you are looking for a TJ model designation.

If you plan to use this for just road cruising, any model will do, but you'd probably like to find one with a Dana 44 rear end axle (it has a metal drain plug vs the rubber one on the weaker D35). The Dana 44 is stronger and will handle the additional torque of larger tires should you decide to modify it any later.

Dana 44's came on the X (in Rocky Mountain Edition only), Sport, and Rubicon.

The Rubicon is like a Sport but it also has a better ratio transfer case for offroading (4:1 vs the 2.72:1 ratio on other TJ's). It also has a Dana 44 (kinda) for a front axle, 4.10 gearing (vs 3.73 or 3.07 for Sports), and lockers both front and rear. It is pretty much geared (pun intended) for offroad action and probably overkill for onroad activities.

That said, if you want a Rubicon, know you got the most capable factory Jeep made.

If you find one, check the underside for signs for signs of damage (scrapes, dents, mud, dirt, etc) to indicate offroad use. While not necessarily a complete deterent, it'd make you really want to look a LOT closer.

-Paul
  • marshallw65marshallw65 Member Posts: 2
    It is called a Sunrider, You can take off the part above the driver and passenger head without removing the whole top.
  • marshallw65marshallw65 Member Posts: 2
    What is the difference between the hardware for a sunrider and a supertop?
  • aspen528aspen528 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 jeep sahara with only 35000 miles on it and need to get rid of the hardtop as I am moving somewhere it won't be needed. Anyone knows what my asking price should be on it? Its in pretty awesome condition
  • jc45jc45 Member Posts: 5
    Wow !! I am pretty sure is a good offer but like always happen after you buy something usually you receive a better price or better product, well I just bought a Jeep Sahara 2000 in a very nice condition but a higher mileage.I like it and I am having fun!! good luck to you !!! JC45
  • mikev28mikev28 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, you read it right, I have an 88 Wrangler Sahara. It's been my baby for over 18 years. I drove under a pipe in a parking garage and tore a hole in the soft top. I don't think BestTop makes that color anymore, it's kind of a green/ khaki, not tan. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can look for a new/used top? I checked Ebay- no luck.
    Thanks.
  • huskycountryhuskycountry Member Posts: 13
    Any suggestions on what or what not to use on the hard tops to keep them in good shape. Would like to keep something (ArmorAll??) on it to keep it protected from the sun and fading etc. I have a 07 Sahara Unlimited (4-door). Thanks for any info!
    Your best bet is probably to just go with a black one or a color that complements your YJ's color.

Quadratec, JCWhitney, or any of the 4x4 shops pretty much carry Bestop and other soft tops. I'm just not sure what color schemes you'll find. Black and spice seem to be the only colors available from Bestop.

-Paul
    If you like your top at all, you will NOT use Armor all. It is notorious for drying out plastics.

For best care, keep the top clean and get any heavy dirt off before it bakes into the top. 303 makes a good cleaning and protection suite of product. They have a UV protectant for both cloth and fiberglass. I use it on my sailboat and is very easy to find at RV or marine shops. It is called 303 Protectant.

-Paul
  • nworbekimnworbekim Member Posts: 17
    hi, i've a '98 wrangler sahara w/hardtop and i'm having trouble with water coming in between the back window and the tailgate...

it appears that the rubber seal is not long enuff to prevent this... i've looked all over the web to find something to use and haven't been able to...

i have no idea what brand the top is...

any ideas?

thanks!
    If it's a factory hard top (and it probably is) then there are gaskets and seals for it at the 4wd.com and Quadratec websites. I occasionally get a small amount of water in the back window of my 98 too but not enough that I've ever bothered to track it down.
  • kels4kels4 Member Posts: 1
    I am a new owner of a 2005 jeep. Have to say I LOVE it. I want to purchase a bikini top for the summer, since I live in San Diego. I have spent 2 days trying to research the best kind to buy and I am a little overwhelmed. I am not sure if the strapless header, with or without the windjammer or safari styles, is the best way to go. It came with a softop, so I am not sure if I need the windshield channel or not. Any advice??
    SD is a perfect place for a bikini top.

First off, a bikini top covers the front passengers only. A safari top is a a longer version of the bikini top and covers rear passengers. If you have no rear passengers, a bikini is nice, but I got a safari as I didn't like the sun frying my neck on drives from Tehachapi to Edwards AFB in the high Mojave desert and 112 degree days.

Bikini's or safari's (B/S for short :D) require a header to mount to the windshield. There are cheaper versions out there that don't use these, but they flap a LOT. I put my safari top on in April and it stays on until October (I'm in Alabama now). I chose the Bestop no-drill header. This header does not require you to drill any holes in the windshield frame, but instead bolts on using clamps that hook into the factory soft top header holes on the windshield frame. I chose the Bestop safari top and picked the one that used the no drill header.

The header and top MUST match. You cannot use a no-drill header with a top that uses the drill-in header. The attachment method is totally different.

Assuming you want to go with a black bikini top, you want a top that is for an 03-06 Wrangler TJ. No others will work.

Bestop P/N: 51238 is the no-drill header. You will need this.
    Bestop P/N 52528 is the bikini style (there is an extra number for color. 52528-35 would be the black bikini top.
    Bestop P/N 52544 would the safari top to work with the header above. 52544-35 would be the black safari top.

Shop around for a good price.

-Paul
  • dlessakdlessak Member Posts: 1
    I own the 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X 4-Door with the 3 Piece Freedom Top.I am very happy with the Hard Top here in Florida,BUT is it possible to keep the 2 Piece front Tops on and have a Soft Top for the Rear?I have been searching the net but have found nothing that would allow one to have both.

Thanks Derek