Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler Maintenance and Repair Questions (up to 1996)

123457»

Comments

• mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    What is procedure to turn winch with a battery? I have tried and get inconsistent results. The other day I hooked battery to a grd bolt on frame, then pos to Ter#1 on the winch. It worked for a second and stopped, never to get it to do it again.

So i was skeptical the Champion sw would work. But it does. So what is normal procedure to manually power winch off the battery? Pos to one terminal and negative to the other terminal? And reverse that to reverse winch right?

I have taken the solenoid off and today I will take it apart and hopefully see some points that just need filing or something else obvious. I wish i knew how these shunt systems work. Do you?

The winch isn't grounded to the frame;
    For some reason only a few words of my
    post are appearing, which is
    rather a waste of my time and yo
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That's odd. Haven't seen any other ones like yours (yet!).
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    I have found that neg and pos go to each of the two terminals for reversing directions.

So I am plowing but it is not as good as before. With the Champion switch, the plow freewheels out (altho stiff and slow). If it stops it will hold there with the weight of the plow, but if i stand on it at same time it will reel in but just freewheel out and has no hold ability at all.
    I notice that if u reel out and hold the blade with you hand till it stops, then it requires more force to get it to freewheel out again (about another 30 lbs)

When it freewheels out it sopunds like the motor is turning backwards but NOT under power. I sure would like to know what was different with the original solenoid hook up. Because when it spool out under power and stopped when you let off rocker switch, that blade held. You could stand on it or anythjng you wanted and it was not going anywhere. Except , unless like i said before the times that you knew it would not reel back in, it did the same freewheel out sound like motor turning backwards not under power, as it does now with the Champion switch. The difference is, now...it reels back in every single time with the Champion switch.

I do have a consistent situation here. Depending on what it does, i know what it will do next. It sure seems to me like there IS a shunt in the OEM solenoid.

Cuz otherwise, how could the clutch in the winch work and hold firm the times the OEM switch worked fine when spooling out? Yet, not hold the times it spooled out but didn't stop when u let off OEM rocker switch? (and when i say it didn't stop, I mean , the motor quit turning under power, but sounds like it is still spooling out. It may not be the motor that is turning when it spools out, like u say it may be the clutch mechanism, but we can't deny that depending which switch is used to operate it, one time the clutch holds firm and the next it won't hold. Except now, with the Champion switch, it doesn't ever hold, but ALWAYS will reel in.
    Thanks for trying to post anyway.

Steve_ The site works different now. I miss the 20 posts per page. And u used to be able to hover your mouse over a members name and see their info (any they chose to put, like city etc). Now u have to click on it. Plus yesterday it would not let me sign out! It simply would not let me sign out. Hotmail does that now too I found out a few months ago. I don't use Hotmail for tha t very reason. So yesterday in order to sign out of here, i had to empty my cache and all cookies to get out.
    We're starting to collect bug reports over in Edmunds Redesign-New Look Coming Soon!. Interesting about the cookie issue; seems to affect Firefox users mostly.
    Ok, will put info there. Just now discovered that in Profile, i didn't know whether it 'saved' or not. When i went back, Profile would highlight but not respond, so now it is also inaccessible to me. :(

Today I'm on Safari so the cookie issue must be more widespread.
    Can't find the Tell Us What You Think area.

Anyway, more info on bugs. In order to access Profile, I had to try to log out. Didn't work, it wouldn't let me out again, so had to clear cookies again. Then when i logged back in, i was able to see Profile additions.

And in addition to not being able to get any info from a member by hovering mouse, it also doesn't let you click on your own username now.

Also, more times than not if you click on Browse by Vehicle, it doesn't give you the drop down to pick any. Maybe if they are working on it at same time, it loses its functionality?

Can we have the old format back please? I know...it'll never happen..

FWIW, i agree with all comments about it being harder to read due to lack of contrast, harder to distinguish between posts etc.
    When editing my post, large chunks just disappeared when backspacing a line to remove a gap.
    Re-typed it all then used a semicolon (big mistake) which caused everything behind it to vanish.
    Re-typed it all again, previewed it, everything was fine, then posted.
    Everything except one line vanished. Gave up!

P.S. I've been away for a couple of weeks. Is there a reason for this new layout, or is it the usual 'it ain't broke so we'll fix it"?
    That's odd. Haven't seen any other ones like yours (yet!).

When editing my post, large chunks just disappeared when backspacing a line to remove a gap.
    Re-typed it all then used a semicolon (big mistake) which caused everything behind it to vanish.
    Re-typed it all again, previewed it, everything was fine, then posted.
    Everything except one line vanished. Gave up!

P.S. I've been away for a couple of weeks. Is there a reason for this new layout, or is it the usual 'it ain't broke so we'll fix it"?
    Hey, we're a car site. The sheet metal gets refreshed every year with a total redesign every four or five years. I dunno - I find the new layout easier on my eyes.

We're on the lookout for odd behavior. I suppose it could have been related to the server reindexing that went on during the changeover. Sorry for the hassle!
  • anthony61anthony61 Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2010
    Shuts off randomly. Replaced coil, computer, key switch, fuel pump, filter and strainer. Does not matter is hot or cold, idle or accelerating. Ideas?
    Do you have a remote car starter? That's the first place I'd look. Or a security system of some sort?
    Since this place isn't rocking with posts...and you're here now..any idea to my questions in post 317 and earlier with the problems i'm having with my winch?
    No facny stuff! Plain Jane!
    No experience with a winch!
    ok, thanks anyway...i knew it was a long shot..

check those things i mentioned on your problem. Given what you've told us so far, it would be very suspect in my shop.
  • ceeotterceeotter Member Posts: 14
    What year is the Jeep? How long does it run b4 it shuts off? And are you in a turn when it shuts off? Will it start again right away?
    1994. It can be sitting idle or driving down the road. Sometimes it will start right away and sometime I can jump across the starter.
    I do not have a remote. I guess I missed what you mentioned in your post..please repost. THANKS
  • ceeotterceeotter Member Posts: 14
    Going to assume that you've checked the following: distributor cap (not cracked or wet inside), rotor inside distributor, coil wire. My Jeep (1995) has two fuel filters, one in the gas tank and one external, don't know about 94's. How long has this been happening? When the engine quits, does everything else shut off too? With engine running, turn everything electrical on one at a time; radio, lights, a/c or blower, lights. Then check turn signals right and left, high beams, shift thru the gears, hit the brakes. I'm thinking it may be an electrical short somewhere shorting the system. I also assume you've checked all of the fuses. My Jeep started cutting out on me last summer, but never quit like your's is doing. I added some fuel injector cleaner to the gas for about a month and it cleared that up.
    If it's none of the things above, you may have to note the next few times it happens and try to find a common reason. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Along with what the poster above mentioned, try to rule out ice in gas by adding some methyl hydrate or I think in the US u have something called Heet.

I don't think it is ice tho from what you are saying.

I thought the engine was shutting off at random, but u mention being able to start it by/at the starter itself, so it also has a random no start when this happens? Whenever starter problems confirm it is not the shifter linkage. Try neutral, wiggle it, Park, wiggle it etc.

It does sound electrical somewhere. I would look at the sub or accessory wires at the battery terminals. (they are a lot smaller gauge than the big high current cables) check for corrosion, altho to be honest I have looked at connectors and they looked fine, only to discover they actually had electrolysis inside and was the culprit, so they can be tricky. The fact that it is running, quits, get it running again, u might be able to duplicate this by wiggling that wire with engine running. If it happens going over bumps makes it very suspect to electrical also. You have no remote car starter and no security alarm either?

I admit i am a bit confused now tho what your Jeep is doing and when.
  • sbaker6612sbaker6612 Member Posts: 5
    Maybe I missed it in the conversation, but do you have an alarm system on your vehicle? Could be a short there.
  • gbmorr13gbmorr13 Member Posts: 2
    I don't know what my problem is with my 4 cylinder 95 Jeep Wrangler with manual 5 speed transmission. I have over 140K miles and it just started slipping today. No matter what gear I'm in; when I accelerate... the RPM's go up and it almost sounds like I am out of gear or at least something is slipping with no power. When I back off of the accelerator it begins to drive normally. Nothing is popping out of gear and each gear seems to go in and out of gear easily and normally. It is the slipping of power that has just started. I don't know if that means a transmission problem or clutch or something else. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • samm43samm43 Member Posts: 195
    With what you have said so far, it sounds like it could be a clutch problem.
    Does it go in and out of gear easily at rest or only on the fly? At rest, try to put into 3rd or 4th, as they are usually don't use synchronizers which would camouflage a gear engagement issue.

Does it use a hydraulic clutch? Your OM will help you know this, check under maintenance schedule. Look for a small reservoir near the firewall like a smaller version of the brake master cylinder reservoir and see if it is at proper level. Although if it were getting air it would make it hard to go into gear at rest. If it is cabled clutch then see how much free-play at the top of clutch pedal when out. There should be some. At least a half inch, but any amount at all is key. If there is consistent resistance from the beginning,then that is probably your problem right there and a cable adjustment will probably fix you up. Unless you have burned the clutch out by slipping it. This can happen in a very short period of time, especially on a 140k miles clutch depending on your clutch habits. (hours, or even minutes)

Are there any trace amounts of oil leaks where transmission bolts to engine? If a rear main seal were to leak it might get on clutch. The reason I wonder this is usually a clutch going bad and starting to slip, does it gradually. You first start to notice it in higher gears going up a grade and you have some warning that it is going out. Sounds like this just started right away?

Sam
    I have over 140K miles and it just started slipping today. No matter what gear I'm in; when I accelerate... the RPM's go up and it almost sounds like I am out of gear or at least something is slipping with no power. When I back off of the accelerator it begins to drive normally. Nothing is popping out of gear and each gear seems to go in and out of gear easily and normally.

Textbook symptoms of a worn or oil contaminated clutch, not a transmission issue.

It's quite normal (a clutch wears, just like your brakes and tires) and if it's the original you got great mileage from it.

Transmission has to be removed and a complete new clutch fitted.
  • gbmorr13gbmorr13 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks MAC24,

That's what I was afarid of.

Do you have any wild guess as to what kind of money we're talking about for a garage to do the repair? I'm fairly certain that it is well over my head to perform. I'm afraid it will cost more than the jeep is worth.

Thanks for the help anyway!
    edited March 2011
    I'm afraid it will cost more than the jeep is worth.

Hopefully your Jeep isn't in such bad shape it's worth that little.

A standard quality clutch set (cover, friction plate, release bearing, and centering tool) costs around $150 retail.
    Can't remember the exact labor time but a competent tech shouldn't take more than three hours. Cost will be dependent on labor rates in your area.

Remember, this is a service and maintenance item which every owner of a manual transmission should budget for; just like they should for tires, brakes, shocks, suspension and steering joints, belts, and even wiper blades.
    They're all sacrificial items that wear as they do their job.
    Remember, this is a service and maintenance item which every owner of a manual transmission should budget for; just like they should for tires, brakes, shocks, suspension and steering joints, belts, and even wiper blades.
    They're all sacrificial items that wear as they do their job.

Sorry, but I can't agree with this at all. Unless a clutch has known weaknesses such as in a 6 speed Matrix (just as an example) it should easily last as long as most engines. (350k miles and up) And I say this even if it does stop and go duty for 40 miles return 20 days a month. Yes, people often get way less. Technically a person can take a clutch out of a brand new car in the same day they purchase it with enough abuse. You will find there is a broad range of mileages that owners get out of a clutch.

Many years ago when there were often only 3 speeds and first and reverse were quite tall, clutches didn't stand nearly as good a chance at doing 350k miles as they do in modern times (last 25 years) with 5+ speeds and quite low first gears. If someone does a lot of backing up with a heavy trailer and if reverse is quite tall that can easily take 150 k off. Or if where they park at home or work there is a hill that they are constantly backing into can take 80k off. People who don't get the extra high miles are usually ones who were taught bad habits that were passed down through the generations, like using the clutch to hold it at light on a grade, resting your foot on it taking out all the freeplay without realizing, not ensuring there is freeplay if it's not a hydraulic clutch and of course slipping it more than needed to go.

But all that said, if a person gets 140k out a Jeep clutch on a 5 speed, that is not too bad and certainly wouldn't fall under any abuse category at all. With different habits still though, we wouldn't have had to be having this chat for at least another 140k.

Sam
    Sorry, but I can't agree with this at all. Unless a clutch has known weaknesses such as in a 6 speed Matrix (just as an example) it should easily last as long as most engines. (350k miles and up)

While you make perfectly good points about correct operational practice, we will have disagree as to whether or not a clutch should be expected to last 350K miles.
    While theoretically possible (maybe if all journeys were long, started on the flat, and no stops and starts were made along the way), but it's as much an extreme as the clutch that gets burnt out in a day.

To look at either extreme and say "that's how long a clutch should last" is unreasonable.
    A clutch is an item that wears, it's not like a wheel rim for instance that can only fail by losing it's integrity, and the rate of wear will depend on a combination of operator technique and transmission load.
    I think it's reasonable to say "the average life of a clutch is between 100K and 150k miles", but anything else would imply an unreasonable expectation to the owner.

While clutches can and do suffer mechanical failure, failure to transmit drive because of a worn friction plate does not meet that definition.
    The clutch is just one of the items that can be expected to wear and need replacement during the life of the vehicle, and I believe that to expect otherwise would be optimistic in the extreme.
    I forgot to take into consideration geographical location. Hilly towns will can reduce that 350 to 200 or less.

I have had the opportunity to view clutches after very high miles in cars and heavy trucks by drivers who knew how to treat a manual. I have seen clutches only half worn with 200k miles on cars, and of course 100's of thousands of miles on heavy trucks. Remember, many of these trucks endure stop and go rush hour traffic in any major centre they frequent. Car drivers could use the same techniques as truck drivers do to get more life from their clutches. Pacing and anticipating stops is the one of the most effective. I will allow that my 350k estimate might be a bit high with cars, as wear will accelerate as less friction material is left because it cannot dissipate heat as effectively and is certainly high in hilly terrain. Not unheard of though. Many people don't keep their cars that long, but for fun ask around to a few who have actually kept their car for 400 or 500k miles ( a VW TDI owner for example) and ask how many clutches they have done. You might be surprised to learn that many will have not had to do a clutch yet. Yes it is a wear item, but like I mentioned before, so is an engine a wear item and many clutches will last as long and even outlast the engine.

Of course if maintenance items or neglect is practiced (like not fixing a leaking rear main seal) then all bets are off.

YMMV (this acronym really applies here this time, doesn't it?) ;) :shades:

Sam
    YMMV (this acronym really applies here this time, doesn't it?)

No argument from me there. In regard to clutch life, 'YMMV' covers it perfectly! ;)
  • kat5027kat5027 Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to repair the horn on my 91Jeep Wrangler. I am missing several components to finish. Is there a exploded view diagram of the entire assembly with a parts list for the horn and steering column, from the steering wheel all the way into the firewall?
  • 1993yj401993yj40 Member Posts: 1
    My 1993 jeep wrangler yj 4.0L has started losing power at highway speeds (60-75mph). It happens going up hill under a load, going down hill without a load and on level road without acceleration. I don't notice it at other speeds with in lower gears. It doesn't happen all the time. When the engine loses power the tach bounces and sometimes the engine knocks.
    So far I have used several different gas stations, added dry gas and fuel system cleaners. I've swapped the fuel filter. The spark plug wires are relatively new and not arching.
    Hopefully unrelated, the alternator failed and I had to replace it. I've run out of ideas and I'm looking for some ideas so I'm not arbitrarily swapping parts.
    Ay ideas?
  • nworbekimnworbekim Member Posts: 17
    i've beat the heck out of the rims that came with my '98 wrangler, i've a chance to get some nice looking alloy rims really cheap from a honda element part out deal... they've five lugs, but i can't tell for sure if they'd work or not. anyone know?
  • coherbertcoherbert Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1988 Jeep Wrangler. I live at 8000 feet, but bought the car at 5000 ft. It was running poorly when I got it home. I adjusted the carburetor, changed the oil, and adjusted the idle. Runs much better now, but still won't start fist thing in the morning. I have to add starter fluid every morning. Once the starter fluid is in it turns over easily and then will start, no problem, for the rest of the day. It seems as though fuel is not running through the line after sitting for several hours. What would cause this? I have heard rumors or a fuel injector on 88 Wranglers???