Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bluevolumebluevolume Member Posts: 6
    I am having this same problem, and would definitely like more info about these shocks.
  • bri66bri66 Member Posts: 220
    I just checked the Ford web site and under their front suspension listings the name of the part is a Link. The MSRP of this part through Ford is $22.75 each. It doesn't list the actual Ford part #, just an illustration and part names only. Both times I have gone to Ford for these parts so I'm not sure if they sell an aftermarket part. Where they are only $22.75 I choose to go to Ford. If you would like I can get the part # if I pull out my paperwork. Hope this helps, your front end will be quiet and it rides much nicer. I have 118,000 miles now on my Escape and have replaced them twice. ;)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A national internet news Web site is looking to interview recent (within the past year) used SUV car buyers. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, June 22, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information with the year, make and model of the SUV you own.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• bastionrdbastionrd Member Posts: 3
    The same EXACT thing happend with my 05 Escape. I wonder how many others have this problem. Ford said "it happens once in a while". Funny the same thing happened with yours.
    Maybe I missed it but I cannot believe I am the first person to mention this. I don't "hate" my 2005 Escape XLT, but one thing I do hate is the fact that 6 months after I purchased it the seat fabric started to fray and come apart. I am not a heavy guy, 145lbs, don't wear abrasive clothing, and don't carry passengers all that often so this should not be happening. I called in October to get them fixed and had to be a little forceful but they agreed to recover them. I had to cancel the appointment and have not had the time to reschedule. I am planning on calling this week, and now that the car is over a year old, I'm sure I won't get much help. I have owned many NEW cars and this is the first car that ever had to be brought back to a dealer for work..4 TIMES, not to mention having to go to the delership twice so they could photograph the seats to make sure Ford would OK them being fixed. I have looked into windows of Escapes in various parking lots and it seems if they have the same fabric as I do, the same thing is happeneing. Do people think this is normal? If I trade it in this will seriously depreciate the value. Last time the car had to be left for 2 days and the service department I go to always gives the same excuse..."We are short handed and cannot get you in or fix it any faster" and yet they send me coupons to come to them for service, what a joke! Maybe if they sold better quality vehicles, made more money, their employees would be nicer and maybe they wouldn't be "short handed". This is my first American car, I wanted to buy American and help our economy, but I'm not sure it's all that worth it. Anyway, hasn't anyone else had this happen, and how did you resolve it?
  • bobasbobas Member Posts: 1
    over the weekend our 2004 Escape with 51,000 miles blew its tranmission on the ride home to Boston from Virginia Beach. with no warning i lost all power and had to pull over on the left side of Rt 95. it is currently in Delaware where the Ford dealership there is charging us $4K to put a new one in. and then i have to fly back down there this weekend and drive it the 7 hours home.

I will never buy another Ford vehicle. My Dodge Ram has a 7 year/ 70,000 mile Powertrain warranty. UNBELIEVABLE
  • bj02176bj02176 Member Posts: 115
    Yes, same happened to me, I'd forgotten all about it till you mention it. Traded it, the 2005 Escape, for a 2006 Fusion, the seats are not fraying. Mexican built seems to be better. I've got to admit this is a very well put together vehicle.
    Bless you bj02176. I needed to hear someone else say it. Ford is saying that it hasn't happened on any others to their knowledge. I assume it is because people think it is something they are doing wrong, or normal wear and tear, and not poor construction or planning by Ford.

Again Thank-you
  • jl1234jl1234 Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a new 2006 Escape Hybrid 4WD about 2 weeks ago, and the driver's side door does not unlock with the remote. The dealer has diagnosed this as a smart junction box (SJB) failure, but they're telling me that the SJB is on back order indefinitely and they have no idea when this part will be available. The other 3 doors unlock -- it's only the driver's side door (the one that I care most about!) that doesn't unlock remotely. I can use the key to unlock it, but I have to leave the alarm system disabled in order to use the key.

The dealer is telling me there's nothing they can do about it except wait until the part is available (they claim the part is too new, so the manufacturer is not even making it yet so it could be months from now), and they have never seen an Escape Hybrid with this problem.

Has anyone else experienced this smart junction box or door lock problem? I'm very frustrated and wondering how to handle this issue.

Thanks!
  • rcinmdrcinmd Member Posts: 139
    Has anyone had the work performed as outlined by the recall for head impact protection on vehicles without a sunroof or curtain airbags? I am just wondering what the results were, in terms of appearance ( does it look 'tampered with' now? ), creaks or other new noises, etc.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Call other Ford dealers for the part.
  • chingching Member Posts: 1
    So sorry to hear, studanny. I would never buy to own ford without extended warranty. :cry: Ford has made many poor transmission. :( Mazda transmission is not true Japan, it has been corrupted by Ford. Toyota,Nissan,Subaru,Honda, all true Japan quality, no to worry. Trade in Mexican Ford for true quality Japanese auto. You will be most happy. :)
  • seiserseiser Member Posts: 5
    I had the work done the appearance is fine, except for the dirt left behind by the dealership. There are not noises.
    Does anyone have an update on the poor quality of the seat fabric?
    Thanks for the info. I'll contact the dealer to schedule the work, along with a few other little things that need to be tended to.
  • pgrooverpgroover Member Posts: 4
    What recall is this? I haven't heard of any.

thx
  • fordgurlfordgurl Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 ford escape with 91,000. Over the past couple of months I have noticed when making a long slow turn and the rpm's are around 2000, their seems to be a clicking noise coming from either underneath my feet or up by the front left tire. Also when I turn, my steering wheel makes a noise like its rusted old hinge. Does anybody know if these two noises are connected and if so what could it be? thanks. :confuse:
    I received notification through the mail. The dealership also new about the recall. The headliner needed needed additional support in the rear of the vehicle.
    The recall applies only to Tributes, Escapes, and I guess Mariners which DO NOT have a moonroof, or which DO NOT have side curtain airbags.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    I cannot find this in the NTSB site, do you have a link? or a recall #??

Thanks..
  • pgrooverpgroover Member Posts: 4
    Definitely, please provide either a link or recall number.

thx!!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's in the Edmunds Maintenance Guide - the recall number is 06V111000 (which may or may not correspond with the NHTSA or Ford number).

Steve, Host
  • bachmanbachman Member Posts: 31
    I have a 2002 Tribute 4X ES and we got it used about 6 months ago. It has 55k miles now and the service history (1 owner) shows the 30k service (includes trans fluid change) and the dealer doing the trans service again at trade in, 49k. It is just now starting to stumble at 35 mph or so feeling like it can't decide to shift, slipping out of torque and the tach starts to climb. Fluid is not over full and looks like new. At 3000 or 3500 rpm's it seems to catch but if holding that position and speed, it continues indefinitely. We are headed out in two weeks on a 3000 mile round trip and the Trib has a doc appt on the 3rd of July. Can anyone help me give the shop some direction if you experienced this and had it resolved ?? I checked alldata and snooped google for TSB and recall stuff and will pass those leads on as well. I do have faith in the dealer here in town, I'm just bummed it's acting up right before the first big road trip. I will be sure to update this after we get it resolved. I did alot of research on these before buying and I have an extended service contract to 36 months or 80k miles so I'm a bit relieved but very surprised as well. I found very little trans related issues when I checked out owner experiences. :surprise:
  • studannystudanny Member Posts: 4
    My 2002 Escape XLT had 71,000 Miles when the transmission Quit. Ford said the transmission pump quit and burned up the transmission. DONT trust it. This transmission was flushed twice and has never been mistreated. 35 miles after second flush engine light came on and transmission refused to go in gear. No help from FORD yet.
    Posts like yours (and this one where the owner flushed a high mileage tranny) always make me wonder if a transmission flush is normally a good idea. Shifty?

Hope Ford comes through with some help on the replacement for you.

Steve, Host
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I don't think it's necessary except in cases where debris is noted when the pan is dropped. I personally don't consider flushing a maintenance procedure but rather intrusive surgery of a sort.
  • bachmanbachman Member Posts: 31
    I have also heard of issues of a major sort that coincidentally occur just after a service ie. engine flush... so I do agree. Unfortunately, the mfg manual often suggests service intervals and the dealer menus often show these expensive schedules making us feel like we are negligent if we skip something. The downside being our assumption that the mfg holds us to this false standard and we risk loosing warranty coverage by not dotting the i's and crossing the t's when revealing service history. Thank you for the comments. I'm so glad I found this site :)
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Noticed today on wifes Trib that the center console is starting to rip just a bit at the seem where it meets the plastic. I will take it in and see if they will replace under warranty... :mad: The Trib is an 04 by the way..
  • wtd44wtd44 Member Posts: 1,208
    I'm pleased to read you taking this position, Mr_S! I would suggest that using dilution principles on aging tranny fluid would be a good idea, and very unlikely to cause a problem. What I have done with tranny fluid and brake fluid is drain off or pump out what you can of the old, and note the volume removed. Then, replenish the same volume with fresh fluid. Use the vehicle in a normal fashion for (say) a couple hundred miles, then repeat the procedure. Keep up this cycle until you have diluted the old stuff enough to feel confident that a meaningful degree of fluid renewal has occurred.
  • jmknight07jmknight07 Member Posts: 1
    Stay far away from the Escape. I was a proud owner of a 2003 Escape for a couple of years, but the problems just keep building up, and Ford's lack of responsibility and slow response is as disgraceful as the rollover tires, and related deaths of a few years back

1. At 15k the switch for the sunroof was slow to respond.
    2. At 55k, the $1,300 dealer installed DVD player crapped out.
    3. At 65k, the air bag light went on, costing $105 for the diagnostic and $485 for new seat belt air bag resistors.
    4. At 78k, the O/D light flashes, and now I have a $3,100 tranny to fix.

I never fixed the switch for the sunroof, which would have been the only thing under my basic warranty. Then again, I was happy until 55k, and I didn't mind pushing the button 3 times to get the sunroof open. Now it is a constant reminder of my poorly built FORD vehicle. :lemon:
  • jcs_78jcs_78 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2002 Escape last year with 35,000 miles the first week I had it the tranny went out. They had to replace the tourqe converter,the pump and the pump shaft. Now A year and three months later the tranny went out again this time they said it was a valve. :lemon: :mad:
  • rhiannon1rhiannon1 Member Posts: 6
    This is my first time here and I came to this site to try to find answers that my dealer seems unable to. My 2003 Tribute began having intermittent starting problems a year ago. It's been to the dealer 4 times, they updated software and had to reprogram the keys as that was the error message in the computer. The last 3 times (this one they kept it 7 days!!) there have been no errors noted so they seem unwilling to do anything they say because Mazda will not cover anything they cannot prove.But the dealer also claims this problem went away after a fuel relay problem was dianosed in the 2002's - he claims Mazda has no records of any stalling or starting issues in any newer model. Your posting here contadicts his claims and I thank you - I know I'm not alone now and am looking forward to a spited discusion as soon as they open tomorrow!!!
  • ohbigdogsohbigdogs Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Can someone please give me their advise of what I am up against? I bought a used 2002 escape 4x4 manual transmission and 4 cyl engine It has 22,800 miles on it. It has been a very good vehicle for the last year. This week I noticed it being jerky and lunging as if I was in the wrong gear for the speed I am travelingand the check engine light came on. This only happens when I am using cruise control or slightly accelerating to keep an even speed. It is fine if i am accelerating at about 3k rpm and shifting. The only thing I have done diffrently recently was to fill up with BP gas.

Also can anyone let me know of any recalls that may be out there for the escape? is there a website I can go to to find out? How can I tell if my vehicle has recievied all the recalls it may have.

Thank You
    Recall info (and TSB summaries) can be found with the Edmunds Maintenance Guide. The service writer at the Ford dealer should be able to pull up your VIN and tell you if all the recall work has been done.

Steve, Host
  • erictowseerictowse Member Posts: 1
    My thanks to all who took the time to report the idling difficulty they were having with the Ford Escape (and Tribute). After pulling my hair out trying to diagnose the intermittent idle problem, I check this web site and found that I was not alone! Having changed the IAC, the car starts and runs beautifully.
    Changing the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve on my 2001 Escape (with just over 100,000) wasn't much harder than changing a battery. I obtained the replacement part at my local auto parts store. NB: the valve does NOT come with a gasket so be sure to order one at the same time.
    While I had the cowling off, I changed the throttle position switch as well. (Two Philips head screws!) Note that this device, which is spring loaded, needs to be rotated slightly upward (the electrical connector faces 3:00 (horizontal) when attached, 2:00 when removed and replaced.) These two cost me $78.
    Suggestion: Don't bother removing and just cleaning the IAC. When the starting gets a little touchy, replace it!
  • eddy9eddy9 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same noise and it was the ABS ring broken. Ford will ask you to replace the hole axle, but it's no necessary. it's possible to change only the ring.
    Good luck.
    eddy
  • escapenutescapenut Member Posts: 117
    Just as a follow-up to your post. I've changed my IAC twice (2-times) since I bought the Escape in July 2001. I've got 94.5K miles and the Escape is still running pretty good. I just changed the rear-brake shoes at 94K miles. Overall the Escape has been a good vehicle for me. I'd like to keep it a while longer or at least until Fall and then check-out what the '07 line-up will be like for other make/model vehicles. So far no tranny-issues or engine problems. I've been running synthetic oil and transmission fluid in it from ~25K miles. I do expect more mechanical issues to start cropping-up just based on the age and mileage of the vehicle. But I am a firm believer in preventative maintenance and proactive approach to car-care. I would probably do the same with any new or used vehicle I buy in the future.
  • mhsiamhsia Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Mazda Tribute that I think might have the same front-end problem. Every time I go over a bump I hear a kind of a rattling or ticking, almost like something is a little loose in the undercarriage. It's a really short noise, i.e. you have to listen carefully because it comes immediately after a bump. Could this be the same shocks problem?
    Any help much appreciated.
  • trainoptrainop Member Posts: 2
    No, I had the same problem and it turned out to be the crappy motor mounts on my Tribute. There special order only and run about $360 for the set. See if you can shake the motor slightly while the car is parked. Should make the same noise.
  • trainoptrainop Member Posts: 2
    Any ideas why the vehicle upon idling or accelerating is jumping, almost misfiring? Nuetral as well. No engine light comes on. I have replaced the air filter, fuel filter, and the first three spark plugs (just to see if that may lie in the problem). So far (just this morning), it seems to run great. Should I be concerned that this could have been misfiring and I may have an expensive problem later? Need to know because the extended warranty is up in October!

I have not changed the IAC unit yet.

Furthermore, do I need new gaskets for the upper and lower intake when I change the remaining plugs?

FYI (One tranny later, no probs yet... 52000mi 2 years/ago)

Love the site.
  • steveclevsteveclev Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I would be grateful for some assistance.
    I live in Samoa over in the southern hemisphere about 3-4 hours flying time from New Zealand. We drive on the same side of the road as you guys in USA so a lot of our vehicles are imported old and new from the states.
    I just bought a tribute 2001 2.0L engine and have found some similar problems of idling as many of you. but feel the engines being talked about are the v6.
    So my problem....
    The check light is on and the mechanics anaylser and haynes code book says PO 402 which we assume is correct for the mazda code of "too much flow" in the EGR valve.
    The engine also periodically won't idle and this seems to happen when hot and frequently started in short spaces of time. When left to cool off for say 2 hours it's ok till the next time. We have replaced the EGR valve, making no difference. So I was reading about this ICV and wondering if this could be my problem. All my parts need to come from the states so am starting at this forum to see what others may have done.
    Thank you steve
  • blue05blue05 Member Posts: 42
    I have an 2001 Escape that had a similar problem and it turn out to be the sway bar links .
  • blue05blue05 Member Posts: 42
    Go to Autozone.com than click on repair info than troubleshooting this may help you diagnost your problem.
  • thegreatescapethegreatescape Member Posts: 2
    The STS near me said they go by the manufacturers specs when doing trans fluid. I said good because the Escape calls for MERCON only. after all was said and done on the work order they used MERCON V. I just purchased my '02 in good shape, 50k miles, no problem but after reading here thought I would replace fluid. should I go back and tell them to refoll with MERCON or see how it goes?

G
  • thegreatescapethegreatescape Member Posts: 2
    update on MERCON change.
    I stopped @ the local ford dealer service, askes what fluid they would use. He replied regular mercon. Told him that fluid was changed using merc v, he made a face and said damage could occur. STS called dealer and was told mercon v is a sutiable replacement for mercon, I said; only not for the CD4E trans.
  • dex100dex100 Member Posts: 3
    I had a similar engine problem on my '02 Tribute v6 - wouldn't start when hot. Problem was with the crank position sensor.
  • jcs_78jcs_78 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know were the erg valve is located on a 2002 escape.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    That would be the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve. While you're waiting for a reply you can do a search of this board with "EGR" - there have been previous discussions about them here.

tidester, host
  • navianavia Member Posts: 1
    Hi there I have a 2001 Ford Escape V6. When I turn on the car the running lights turn on, but when I am driving a couple of minutes later the lights start to blink.
    But they stop blinking when I turn on the regular lights on. Has this happend to anyone yet? Or does anyone know what might be the problem? :(
  • chimpsnestchimpsnest Member Posts: 27
    Well, my first major issue w/the car started this last week. My 2003 Trib w/81K miles on it seems to be losing 2nd gear, has a VERY hard time shifting from first to second, it's ok from 2nd into 3rd. Going to drop it off at the dealer on Sunday and see what they have to say. Anybody know of any major tranny problems that I should know about so they don't try and screw around w/me? I did buy the extended warranty, so it should be covered no matter what it is. ~sigh~ Thanks guys (figures, just when I'm thinking of paying it off)