Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Warning Lights & Problem Codes

Comments

• juicy2uboojuicy2uboo Member Posts: 1
    Hey Happy Messed Up Friday! I was planning a road trip this morning all excited about going down south to spend time with my valentine. Well that all fell thru because I left work this morning after working graveyard shift and I have a 45 min ride home well I didn't make far from my job and these lights all popped on early within my ride home. I just bought the 2007 Sienna in July and it quite frustrating to see your new vehicle going berserk. If you get anymore valuable information please share with me. I can't see the dealer until feb. 20 just destroyed my Valentine Weekend Travel. :confuse: Thanks Good Luck
  • soobmeistersoobmeister Member Posts: 2
    Spent the afternoon that day in a Toyota dealer, limped it in with the Check Engine light flashing and 2 cyliinders misfiring. Hooked it up to the Tech's laptop, read all the codes. All they could see were misfires. They wanted to drive it, so I encouraged them to not clear the ECM (computer) which they did anyway. Drove it about 30 miles up and down a steep pass twice and it wouldn't replicate. The Tech asked me if I put oversized tires on it, that OS tires could make it misfire. I said no, but I had just rotated the tires the day before, front to back. We returned to the dealer and I paid them to balance and rotate the tires again. The tire technician said he noticed what appeared to be an out-of-round tire that came off the left front and is now on the left rear - - could it be a broken belt in one of those Dunlop tires? No more problems for the next 1000 miles. Got back home last Thursday evening, took it to the dealer this a.m. They can't find anything. I asked them to look at the tires, still haven't heard back. The technician and I on Friday the 15th in that rural Toyota dealership discussed whether a broken steel belt could set up enough vibration to cause the engine control system to misfire. If so, this is my very last Toyota. We'll see what happens today. Everyone I've taken this to has looked at me like I'm crazy. But, I owned a full-service station in the '70s, had a tire shop, a wrecker service, and series of dirt-track stock cars, and built a few hot rods as well as maintaining all my own vehicles. So, even if they think I'm crazy I know better.
  • robkampenrobkampen Member Posts: 4
    Have a 2004 Sienna XLE AWD with 81K miles, yesterday the VSC light came on followed by Engine light a few minutes later. Stayed on most of the day then went off.
    Back on this morning, so off to Toyota Dealer for service and check.
    They checked codes and said C1246 meant need to change ABS actuator $3,000!!!
    Also code P0037 - B1 S2 - another $300. Thats nearly 10% of what I paid for the vehicle.
    Needless to say I'm getting another opinion before I splash the cash.
    Any idea :( s?
  • ronster1ronster1 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same thing today. The speedometer stopped working on my 2004 Sienna with 57,000 miles. The VSC, tire pressure, brake, and ABS warning lights are on. Dealer says it's rare, but the ABS actuator assembly needs to be replaced. The part is $2,815 and with labor it will be $3,280.

This is my 7th Toyota and I can't believe they are serious. This is why I buy a Toyota, so I don't have these issues. What happened with yours? Anybody else?
  • robc4robc4 Member Posts: 1
    Just dropped off my 2002 Sienna after driving will all 3 warning lights on for a while. Lights on from 2 issues. First is Air Fuel Ratio Sensor, about $400. Secons is ABS Actuator Assembly, about $2000. I'll fix the first and hold off on the 2nd for now. We have never had problems will our Toyotas, although I'm hearing other family members with Siennas are now seeing the same issues once the car gets over 70,000 miles.
  • robkampenrobkampen Member Posts: 4
    Had the same problem. First Toyota agent diagnosed Oxygen Sensor problem and Master Cylinder Pressure Sensor - I too got told it would be over $3000 to repair.
    Having been assured that there was no safety issue driving with the warning lights, I departed and drove around for another few weeks. Then I went to Toyota agent number 2. They diagnosed differently - they did pick up on the Oxygen Sensor but came up with another item also. At that point I told them of my previous diagnosis and suggested that they actually have no idea what the problem really is and just want to replace components on my coin. They took exception to my allegations, and asked to keep the car for another hour (I stayed and waited the whole time - wanted to keep the pressure on) After 90 minutes they said their head mechanic was sure it was only the Oxygen Sensor and that this fault was creating the other error codes in the computer system. So they asked for permission to replace the sensor for approx $300.00 - I said go ahead. Sure enough, after another 80 minutes they came and said all was well!!
    Anytime a computer system fails and shows multiple errors at the same time, don't trust it.
    Hope this helps someone - it appears that this oxygen sensor is the real culprit, also I can now drive on 87 fuel without pinging again - don't know if its related, but after the first 30,000 miles my 2004 Sienna awd started pinging when cruising along a level road at 40 ~ 50 mph. Toyota agents were no help, solutions proposed varied from "induction service" to run 91 or 93 fuel. So for the last 50,000 miles I have paid the extra cost for 93 fuel, but no longer, I'm back to 87 and no apparent problems......
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Bummer, first problem with my 07. Code reader says it's a P0328 - Knock sensor 1 circuit high input bank 1 or 1 sensor.

Bad knock sensor?

It's going to the dealer tomorrow, but if anyone has seen this please chime in.
  • jdave1jdave1 Member Posts: 1
    thanks in advance for answering.

i have an 04 sienna.with 41 k miles.
    i have an eng lite came on.
    i relace the plugs and # pwr pack.
    still have problem.
    anyone one have simmliar or figure this out.
    thanks
    Sorry, no.

I didn't get an answer at all - but get this...it turned out to be some animal chewing up my wiring harness! They found chewed up wires and acorns stuff all over the engine bay, and my van's only about a year old!

$680 or so after I begged for a discount, and not covered by warranty. :cry:
  • robs_siennarobs_sienna Member Posts: 3
    In the past week my 2006 Sienna LE has the SRS (Airbag) Warning light on, intermittently. When it is on it seems to be on most of the time but occasionally turn off. It is almost in a timely manner but have noticed a somewhat random cycle. Should this light be a solid on or is it meant to flash? There has been the odd time that the light has not come on but it is not very often.

I bought an OBD-II Scanner today and found there are no codes present and erasing the computer doesn't turn the light off. Is there any way of resetting the warning light or is there another scanner present to look into the system. Dealer told me they have to scan the van ($100) to determine what is wrong and then do whatever fix is necessary. My 3 year warrenty expires the end of the year. I don't think I should have to pay anything if it is under warrenty especially for something as dumb as these darn warning lights.

Are there any known issues with this system and what has been the resulting problems?

Thanks.
    I always thought a solid light was a warning, a blinking light was something more serious and you should not drive it.

As to whether the warranty covers it - it depends on what caused it.

Look at my case above - chipmunks chewed up my wiring harness. This is very clearly not covered by warranty, even though I thought it would be (before I knew the cause).

So I guess the answer is a big "that depends". If it's caused by a failure that is covered by warranty, then it should be free.

If my chipmunks moved to your car, and started a buffet in your wiring harness, then no, it's definitely not covered.

Having said that, the airbags are definitely under warranty, so as long as the problem is limited to that part of your vehicle, I think it should be free.
  • robs_siennarobs_sienna Member Posts: 3
    I bought an OBD2 scanner and it told me nothing. No codes present. I then read somewhere about a reset procedure. I figured if the problem is real the light will reappear. Thus I reset the warning light and it has been a week with no reoccurance. With all the electronics in these vehicles these days there are bound to be small glitches and the computers will always latch on and hold them even though they are not problems with the vehicle.

Just saved myself $100+ and who knows how much more potentially and most of all, all the hassle and aggravation to/from and at the dealer. :shades:
    Good for you. The scanner already paid for itself.
  • whatever12whatever12 Member Posts: 1
    Robs sienna, would you tell me which OBD2 scanner you bought? Thanks.

I have the similarly problem. After I reset the tire pressure light, the SRS warning went on, intermittently. Too bad, my warranty expired last month.

Based on manual, it is the problem of side/curtain airbag. But I really feel it is a computer glitch. I am thinking of reset the light and go to the dealer if the SRS warning comes back.
  • toyotaminivantoyotaminivan Member Posts: 3
    I got thesame problem as yours my friend. Engine light / VSC / Trac off lights suddenly came on on my toyota sienna 07 LE. So if your dealership figure out whats wrong, Can you email it to me so i can do the fixing myself. cause I think my dealership don't have any idea whats wrong with the van, i might as well follow your lead.
  • JeffB1994JeffB1994 Member Posts: 1
    What did you end up doing with the SRS warning light? Mine flashes as well and I am just not convinced that their is an issue. I am out of warranty due to mileage, but I take great care of the car and I find it hard to beleive that the airbag would malfunction after only three years (no accidents and no use). Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.
  • hisiennahisienna Member Posts: 4
    This reply is a little late, but my 2004 has the same problem-no speedo ,no odo, and check engne lite-they say it's the abs actuator assembly-something like 2 thousand ++ for the part. My sienna only has 26,000 miles. Needless to say, I'm pretty disappointed and will write a letter to Toyota. Maybe it's not such a rare problem?
  • szsrwsszsrws Member Posts: 1
    I just got a 09 sienna LE. Within 800 miles the 3 lights turned on. They said it was the oxegyn sensor. 2500 miles later same thing happened again. This time they say its the other oxegyn sensor. Has anyone had these types of problems on a brand new Seinna?
    Yes, but it turned out to be some rodents that had chewed up my wiring harness!

I hope you don't have the same problem.

Come to think of it, my problem was with a knock sensors, but that was just a strange symptom, the actual problem was a chip munk. :mad:
    Anyone know what that warning light is for?

My van is working fine, but when I lock my doors I get an occasional blink from that red light in the dash (shaped like the van, but with a key in the middle of it).

Any clue what that is? Has it always been there, only I never noticed it until now?

This is a 2007 LE with package 3. I made sure all doors were closed properly. Reinserting the key made no change.
  • TalkingheadTalkinghead Member Posts: 1
    Hi been following this discussion closely. Our Sienna has just started having these three light solidly on all the time. Check engine, VSC, Trac off as wellI it has 39k on it for mileage. All fluid levels are fine, must be a gas cap or similar sensor reading gone whacky. So what is the brand of scanners people have purchased to do the ox sensor reset. Little freaked out at the suggestions of the 3000. bills to repair/replace items that are really a false code. What do you all suggest as the starting point.
    An ODBII scanner is worth the money. I paid $99 for mine, and have used it about 6 times, a few times on friends' cars.

Mine is an Actron. It can read and reset codes but it's pretty basic.

I would start there. Reset the warning and see if they just go away.
  • ladycanineladycanine Member Posts: 1
    I have just had this problem occur at 100,484 miles. The dealer said it was the ABS actuator assembly -- $2000 to repair. I called my former mechanic (who I would trust with my life) and he confirmed that this might be the problem...but he also said that he has NEVER seen this EXCEPT when a dumb tire store messed up a tire install. Not the case with me as I've not had new tires in over a year.

The lights have now gone off (after the dealer said they would stay on and the cruise control wouldn't function -- which it does). I'm going for a second opinion.
  • ny04siennany04sienna Member Posts: 4
    Hi all, I am updating the status of the check engine warning light issue..Please see my original postings back in Nov 07 (posting # 30). Here is a short recap: Dealership charged me $800 to fix the check engine light issues back in Sept 07. A month later, the same check engine lights came back on again. At that time, they told me another issues w/ another set of codes. They suggested they can fix it for me for another $700. I didn't let them fix it. Instead, I asked my local guy to reset the car after I put in a brand new gas cap. Now, it's a year and a half later, as of today, the check engine light never came back after I put in more than 15,000 miles. The gas cap only cost me $20.00.
    Why couldn't the dealership detect the issues as malfunction of the gas cap? Instead, they would throw out a bunch of warning codes and demand $$$ to repair it for u...
    If you have the "check engine light" problems and the car still drives fine, try to replace the gas cap first...
    I'd be looking for another dealer...
  • 03sienna03sienna Member Posts: 2
    140,000 miles - car passes emmissions test levels but fails because of these codes and misfire codes. The CEL is on, and from other post, I checked the following:
    1) the gas-cap- it whooshes when I open the tank after being parked for 1 hour.
    2) removed the canister - it's lightweight and dry, and does not appear to be cracked, but it had heavy gas fumes. Hoses look new and are tight.
    3) solenoid valve at canister - tested fine. Connections are good.
    4) upper solenoid valve at air filter - tested fine. Connections are good.
    5) upper hose at air filter - looks good.
    What's next to check? Any advice?
  • jcz65jcz65 Member Posts: 2
    No advice but the same issue, replaced o2 sensors the last 2 years but not sure what to do this year. Just had van inspected and same errors po 420,440,441 and 446. Will try the gas cap as this seems the easiest and cheapest thing to try. 2 more payments and Im done but the level of frustration from dealing with this the last 3 years will probably make me trade it in.
  • ecelisecelis Member Posts: 1
    My Sienna 98 Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) came on today. Gas cap was on tight. Two days ago the driver side power window would not work, but after a few hrs it did come back. Are these 2 issues related? Owner's manual says MIL can be either gas problem or electrical problem...
    Do you have an OBDII scanner? Or can a local parts supply shop let you borrow one? The code helps troubleshoot.
  • blessed10blessed10 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get an answer to your question bout the blinking red light with key? I'm getting the same warning light and have no idea what it means. I don't have a manual for the 2007 Sienna that I just purchased. I would appreciate any wisdom you could give on this matter! Thanks!
  • jokerwild4513jokerwild4513 Member Posts: 1
    Any idea on how to reset the airbag flashing light? I reset the tire pressure monitor and mine has come on now for almost a week. Is there a way to reset this with a switch under the steering?

Appreciate a response ....Thanks
  • earlingerearlinger Member Posts: 2
    After an oil change should not the check engine light go off? How can it be reset?
  • jprocjproc Member Posts: 135
    check engine light and oil changes have nothing to do with each other.I don't think you can reset the engine light either
    Do you mean "Service Engine Soon" instead?

I think you set the odometer to the total mileage, turn it off, then hold the button while turning the key to the On position. Something like that.
  • earlingerearlinger Member Posts: 2
    You are right. I meant the "Maintenance Reqd" light, not "Check Engine". I'll try to turn it out.
  • abcdeangabcdeang Member Posts: 1
    You said: "Under the instrument deck, there is a fuse box. Remove the one labelled "EFI" for 30 seconds. That's it."

Where exactly is the instrument deck located?

Thanks,
    Abcdeang
  • bomber_bobbomber_bob Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone experience the check engine light problem with the Sienas, mine is a 2001 LE
    I been having this problem for a few years and had it cycle on and off a few times --But always a potiential problem when it's time for emissions .
    I had it scanned a few time and it's the ( O441/.0446 code)I was told it could be the Charcoal Canister that on top of the gas tank.
    I like to know how many Sienna owners have the same problem I do
    My check engine light has come on and been reset several times
    my codes (0041/0046)
    I was told it's the Evap control system
    It could be the charcoal canister that mounted to the top of the gas tank which it's quite costly to repair
  • emilvelezemilvelez Member Posts: 1
    Whoever said it. My gas cap was loose.. It was not even turned.. Just put on.

I will let it reset by itself after some trips.

Hope both of them go off soon,

Thanks for a good forum
  • ladnns26ladnns26 Member Posts: 1
    Have the same problem with 04 sienna. It seems to come on if I run errands getting in and out the car starting and restarting say more than 5 times in an 2hr period. At that point it begins to ride sluggish. Not sure dealer unable to diagnose problem
    Glad to hear it. :shades:
  • lacydav05lacydav05 Member Posts: 1
    Can you please tell me what they found with your Sienna? I recently had the same thing happen and I am being told from the dealership that my tires are causing the problems and that I need to replace them all.
  • atwb1atwb1 Member Posts: 1
    We have had our speedo jump back and forth and the car slows down like in first gear. Also check engine, ABS and brake lights in dash stay on. What can cause these to happen?
    Do you have an OBDII scanner? I would try to find out what code is being thrown. With that many warning lights it could be electrical.
  • leor_ggleor_gg Member Posts: 2
    Perhaps take a look at the following link for more details:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=120463654675522&v=wall
  • walleyeman57walleyeman57 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Sienna with higher mileage (248,000). I have been having an issue with CEL coming on. It only comes on after the car idles for at least 10 minutes. The codes are always the same P0171 and P0174 system too lean bank 1 & 2. I have a code reader that I can reset the codes with. The CEL will not come back on for over 1000 miles-provided I do not let the van idle. My mechanic friend suggested I clean the MAF which I did-no improvement. He then suggested that I change this part out-which I also did with a rebuilt part. It seems like the CEL takes a little longer to light-but it still comes on after any extended idle time. The CEL never lights when driving -only at idle.

I have seen suggestions that the coolant temp sensor may be causing this. I have also heard that a clogged fuel filter may exhibit these same symptoms.

Before I venture any further with replacing parts in search of a cure I would like to hear from the fine members here.

Thanks in advance.
  • honjugohonjugo Member Posts: 1
    I have a really frustrating situation. My 2002 Toyota Sienna won't pass inspection.
    Several weeks ago, I had a check engine light come on before the inspection that showed I needed a new air sensor near the cat. conv.
    Okay, that was replaced two weeks ago. Since then, no more lights show on my dash.
    The mechanic said that his shop computer still shows my car won't clear.
    He initially said, two weeks ago, that "driving it" was a remedy for this. Well, I've since driven several hundred miles, and though my dashboard check engine light remains off (I'm not showing any lights anymore at all.)....the inspection computer still won't apparently clear.

What do I do? Even the mechanic has no clue what I should do next. Drive it some more and bring it back again? I've done this twice now, and after several hundred miles, still, though no check engine lights are showing, I can't get my Sienna inspected in N.Y. State. Meanwhile, I'm driving with an expired inspection. I'm real sure that a policeman would believe I've tried my hardest to inspect this. Yeah, right.

If even the mechanic doesn't know what I should do....then?...What?....Anyone who has any help or guidance on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
  • pjksrpjksr Member Posts: 111
    It's not the number of miles driven that will make your van ready for inspection. There are certain "drive patterns" that must be completed, for the ECU to test your catalyst operation, for example. Conditions that need to be met are for this one test: engine warmed up, drive 15 minutes, varying speed between 30 and 45mph. Do this twice.

Without knowing which ECU monitors are not ready, I can't help you further. Your mechanic should be able to tell you, though. This is basic. Google "Sienna readiness monitor drive patterns."

Good luck--hope you've already passed inspections.
  • toyota_guy2toyota_guy2 Member Posts: 1
    The AC on my 2004 Sienna XLE stopped cooling. I ran the on board diagnostic function to display trouble codes for the climate control system. I received code 21. My Haynes Repair manual indicated that a 21 indicates trouble with the "solar sensor circuit". What is the solar sensor circuit? I also received a code 24. Haynes does not list a 24 trouble code. Any ideas on what's going on? Also how do I determine the low side service valve for the AC?