Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Eos Water Leaks

Comments

• cadd2233cadd2233 Member Posts: 36
    I had this similar problem with my 2008 Eos, a full cup of water would fall out of the car door when first open after rain or after I washed my car by hand. If you stand too close, you'd drench your shoes! I think my dealer put in weep holes (drilled through the rubber seals) and the problem went away. Don't believe them when they pretend it is a one rare problem. However, do be very concern when their reaction is NOT surprised at all.
    Later, I had a major leak from right corner roof front of passenger side. I cleaned and wipped off all seals every time I washed my car, it was parked indoor garage often too. Yet, they will claim the evil "leaf" which may cause the clog. My problem got so bad, that I eventully filed for lemon law and got the car replaced.
    Your car should still be under some type of warrantee, I hope. Be nice, but be presistant to VW.
  • jade13jade13 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the tips regarding my Waterfall. I emailed them a couple days ago and haven't heard a reply so it looks like I'll have to be persistent with this matter. Luckily the warranty is good until 2013!
    Besides the obvious inconvinence dealing with the warranty, you should keep track of every phone calls, resolution, duration of car in service, etc. The big picture is, eventually you may need to deal with other issues, ALL addes up when it comes with the Lemon Law, should it ever gets that bad.
    I love this car, but as I read all the others' problems, I learned a lot, and got many ideas and suggestions which made me assertive of my rights.
    Best of luck. Read others input if you have time.
  • younona1307younona1307 Member Posts: 2
    I think that New Facelift 2011 VW Eos Rendered is a very interesting car, especially because of the design. I like the new concept. I had read an interesting news on topspeed.com , THere you will find more informations,
  • leakyaussieleakyaussie Member Posts: 3
    After 24 different contacts with VW , 7 repairs and 2 major floods, I have now filed a complaint with Fair Trading. I sent the dealership on a letter of demand for a full refund after much to and fro they offered a refund of 10 K less than the purchase price. Totally dis satisfied. Can any one advise if they got a full refund. I have had two years of hell
  • jgjiffyjgjiffy Member Posts: 11
    JgJiffy at A O L
  • mikeh9mikeh9 Member Posts: 5
    After four visits to the dealer with leaks I insisted that the car should be taken back and replaced with a different model. This they did without any complaints, as I presumed that VW were aware of the problems that could occur with this model. I now drive a VW Golf Estate Sportline with all the toys to bring the value up to the same price as the EOS. I have had this car now for 18months without any problems and with the panoramic roof is just as good in our climate.
    I went through the process of Lemon Law. You must see your local law to see what fits, and document everything. Eventually, you will get want you want, NOT what they want.
    Minus $10K is not an option.
  • 2007leakysill2007leakysill Member Posts: 1
    I totally agree!! I have a 2007 EOS and it's been in the shop many times for leaking roof problems as well as a couple of other issues. Each time it comes out they say it's fixed and then it rains and the water pours in. After about 4 times (and over 30 days) in the shop mine is finally not leaking (at the moment). It's really disappointing for a VW, that was not cheap, especially when it seems to be such a common problem amongst EOS owners (from what I can see online), that they were unable to take care of the issue quickly. It was really inconvenient to have to keep going back, every other week, getting a rental and waiting for them to try the latest fix on it, only to have to return it again. I would not buy another VW after this experience, which is a shame because I was happy with my last VW.
  • jimg602jimg602 Member Posts: 2
    I brought my eos to the dealer last year when the doors were filling with water. We checked other eos on the lot and found the same thing. We checked the trunk and found a lot of water around the spare tire. You have to take the cover (over the spare tire) off. I was told you have to live with the door problem. The technician said he put some sealant in different places and when tested, no water entered the trunk. I found water in the trunk today and brought the car in. It seems water is coming in the truck lid, probably through the lights, but can't get out so it winds up in the trunk. There are 2 holes, that may be drain holes, in the trunk lid but there are rubber grommets in them. I can't see how water can get out. I checked my toyota and found 2 holes for drainage in the lid. I am going back tomorrow to the dealer. At the dealer today he said there is a fix for the doors so check with your dealer.
  • leakyaussieleakyaussie Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,

I need to Know firly quickly if there are any other leaking issues in Australia.

I have a number who have come to me direct. VW Australia stand fast that there are no leaking EOS in Australia.

Fighting hard here !!
  • moonpie1moonpie1 Member Posts: 3
    Did you obtain a lemon law attorney. If so did they file under your state's lemon law or the Federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty act. I contacted a lemon law attorney when VW denied my request for replacement and offered a small cash settlement. The attorney said they did not use the lemon law but used the Magnusn Moss act. This requires my paying court costs and inspection fees even though the attorney is supposed to be paid by the manufacturer. I am leary of using them. Am wondering if I should handle myself and go to arbitration
  • moonpie1moonpie1 Member Posts: 3
    would like to know more about your lemon law case
  • ralph001ralph001 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2010 EOS - Line in teh NorthEast. I have a strong mildew smell after a couple of days of heavy rain and wind. Could water have leaked in causing this odor? What should I be looking for? thanks
  • jimg602jimg602 Member Posts: 2
    Check the trunk. Remove the cover over the spare tire. Water may be accumulating there. Also when you open the trunk, check the trunk lid itself. Water may be getting in through the trunk latch. There are 2 rubber plugs in the bottom of the trunk lid. If water is in the trunk lid, removing the plugs will let it out. My toyota has 2 holes there for but no plugs. It makes sense. The VW's have plugs here which does not make sense. If there is water in the trunk, don't remove it. Bring it to the dealer so they can see it and document it. Then check the lemon law in your state. Good luck!
  • camie00camie00 Member Posts: 1
    I've been dealing with condensation and water leaks for over 6 months. After 5 attempts by VW to fix the leaks, 2 carpet replacements, 3 months without my car, many trips back and forth to the dealer to show them the condensation because somehow they couldn't see it on their own, the service manager telling me my car was leaking like a strainer and more recently 2" of water in my trunk, mold on the tire cover and a lovely smell I kicked up when we lifted that cover, I've written an 8 page letter documenting each fix attempt, the symptoms :sick: and photographs of the condensation (which one night froze on the inside) requesting they take my lease back and reimburse for the 3 months I didn't have it. Today I received a written response requesting all the service records (can't they get that?). I'm getting those all together along with the lease information they requested. Does anyone have any tips/warnings to help me get this resolved quickly?
  • hooters_akimbohooters_akimbo Member Posts: 1
    I HAD (now gone), the exact same problem...

The dealer (alexandria VW, alexandria, va) finally called in the VW HQ factory techs...

they took apart the roof...

It turned out the roof was MISSING an INTERNAL part in the roof....apparently it was not installed at the factory during manufacture...this part channels water to various outtakes....

they installed it, reassembled the roof, been dry as a bone since...

Since this was the first year of production (1997), maybe the folks in Portugal (where the EOS is made), did not understand the German assembly directions, or something lost in translation?
  • leaking2008eosleaking2008eos Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Eos... Love it, but...
    @ the 20,000 mile service, I mentioned to the dealer that there is a minor leak at the junction of the top to passenger side windshield... Long story short, they have had the car on and off over 2 months. Now the car has multiple leaks all over. VW gave me their official statement of "Your car will not leak if it rains on it vertically. But if water hits it in a horizontal angle, it will leak, and that is normal for all Eos's"
    Is this true with your cars? I do not know how your experiences have been, but my dealer has been great. The last loaner I had was an Audi Q7, that I had for close to 3 weeks. VW corporate has been very rude to me.
  • leaking2008eosleaking2008eos Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Eos... Love it, but...
    the 20,000 mile service, I mentioned to the dealer that there is a minor leak at the junction of the top to passenger side windshield... Long story short, they have had the car on and off over 2 months. Now the car has multiple leaks all over. VW gave me their official statement of "Your car will not leak if it rains on it vertically. But if water hits it in a horizontal angle, it will leak, and that is normal for all Eos's"
    Is this true with your cars? I do not know how your experiences have been, but my dealer has been great. The last loaner I had was an Audi Q7, that I had for close to 3 weeks. VW corporate has been very rude to me.
  • eosgrleosgrl Member Posts: 1
    There is a technical bulletin that addresses this issue. I don't want to scare you but I've brought my car back to the dealer at least 5 times trying solve the leak and this last time I called VW's customer service number and they ended up sending and EOS expert to the shop to fix it. I'm still not sure it's fixed but I'm hopeful. You should also check out this site http://vb.vwvortex.com/. It's a good resource to help find technical bulletins and such. Pitch a fit and make them change the carpet or your car will smell awful when it's hot outside. Good Luck!
  • eossuxeossux Member Posts: 1
    Hey Koolkat,

Can you email me your attorney info? I am in Atlanta and need help with our 2008 EOS.. wxcast at gmail.com

Thanks!
    My 2008 Eos leaked in the same spot, see my previous posts of inches of interior flood and smell. Go see your local Lemon Law, determine how many days and attempts of repairs you need to qualify to file for this process. I eventually got a new 2009 (in Nov.) from being persistant with the VWof America. With the help of this website, the support and suggestions, I was able to know my rights.
    If you accept the excuse of "vertical rain only", I feel sorry for you. Don't take this laying down... horizontally!
    What ever your problem may be, couldn't you save the $ from Attorney if you look into the Lemon Law?
    I did, other suggested. I got a new car as replacement... eventually.
  • jnfr2424jnfr2424 Member Posts: 4
    Please let me know how this turns out for you
    I own a 2008 Eos and right now my car is at the dealership with the same exact issue. If I have to keep returning the car I might as well go right ahead a contact VW HQ to get this straighten out.
  • wetfeetwetfeet Member Posts: 1
    My 2007 Eos has been leaking for some time , after many attempts to clean out the channels. Pine straw accumulates quickly and causes trapped water to spill out from the floor or doors. Carpets destroyed, terrible smell and even has found it's way into the glove box. All papers are moldy and wet. How can this be NOT a design flaw! I am told that I must pay for all repairs and charge my insurance company for new carpets! I cannot afford legal assistance. Has anyone else been told it is a "maintenance" issue, not a warranty one.
    It IS a design flaw, VW is not going to admit it easily because it cost them $. They are aware of it, mine leaked in the right corner (sound like the same area as yours since you mention the glove box). Mildew smell cannot be removed EVER. After repair & replacement of pad & carpet, unbearable smell still existed. They asked me to drive it for a while see if it will fade, I did as good faith but eventually they gave me a new car after I kept pressure using the Lemon Law. Keep good records of your repair and every conversation. Review your rights in your own state Lemon Law. Good luck.
    I am about to go to arbitration with VW for water in the trunk. The hydraulic in the trunk failed so badly that the top is stuck down and I am being told that the part is not covered under warranty ( I have a 2008 with 16,811 miles). I live in Northern New Jersey the dealer is worse than Satan himself - holding my car hostage stating they are the "only ones" that will be able to repair my car.
    For all those arguing - keep arguing until you get what is rightfully yours
    This needs to be a class action suit against VW - too many people are having water leak issues. No wonder the car is not advertised!
    I also live in North Jersey, but decided NOT to deal with East Coast VW (in Englewood Cliffs) because they are so bad. Is that who you are referring to? Anyway, I searched inventories of every dealership from Boston to Maryland, eventually picked my 2008 up from Atlantic City. Returned to VW in Nov. 2009 for a new Eos due to leak and supported by Lemon Law.
    So, look up BBB rules, and document everything. If you need additional help, feel free to me. My 2009 is fine so far, but I hardly drive it, only 4,500 miles.
    Yep that's the same dealer I did file bbb auto line arbitration and won my case even though vw tried to argue that forums like this one is irreverent
    First, it's sad that I guessed the dealership correctly. I live next town to them but drove 3.5 hrs one way to pick up my Eos!
    I'm confused, does that mean VW is willing to give you a new car or not? You should stop dealing with the local dealer and communicate only to VW of America. I use the Fairlawn dealer off Rt. 208, they are pretty helpful. If there is more you need, feel free to reply.
    First of all the hydraulics died and east coast said I had to pay for the part I filed the bbb when I contacted VW of America and they agreed with east coast so I had two bbb complaints one against east coast and VW of America mind you the car is under warranty (16,811 miles - 18 months old) so the arbitrator agreed with me and VW fixed the hydraulics under warranty. If the leak happens again I am protected under lemon law and can file for a new car I will NEVER go to east coast ever again glad You like the one in Fair Lawn I was thinking about there for servicing so it's food to hear a positive review thanks for the info!
    I'm glad someone finally filed a complaint on East Coast, they are THE worst. Doesn't hurt that I ALWAYS bring cookies to the Fair Lawn Dealer when I have service need. :~) I believe in being good and polite to them, show my appreciation from the start.
    Just keep good documentations on your repairs and discontenment of the car. Just in case...
  • msbannettmsbannett Member Posts: 13
    After test driving a few Eos' I decided that it was the car for me. One of the cars I located locally here in the Charlotte area was one I wanted to make an offer on. Problem was that it leaked and dripped on me during the test drive so I nixed it. I ended up taking a trip from NC to FL and got a great deal on a 2008 Lux. I had seen the car on the web, spoke with the dealer, Gunther VW - who I had bought 2 cars from in the past, did my homework on this specific vehicle and made the trip down. When I got there to drive and take delivery of the car it was raining one of those really intense Florida storms. I took the car out and what do you know... it leaked! It also smelled intensely of "new car smell deodorizer", the stuff they use when cleaning and detailing a car to put it on the lot. I figured the car must have been detailed by an over zealous tech. Because I had flown down to get the car and because I planned on driving it back, and because I was sort of in a "spot" I decided to speak with the service manager about the issue to see what they could tell me. She explained that most all the cars leaked. It is a known issue due to a process during manufacturing that does not always work as designed and so does not effectively seal the roof. However, once in to repair the problem it would not leak again. The fix was and is effective so even though it was leaking, once they took it in to service she said it would be corrected once and for all and I would never have to worry about it again. Now this may or may not be true, I do not know. What I do know is that I decided to take the car. It is such a sweet ride and the black exterior and beige interior really got to me. So... I drive the car back to NC, 12 hours straight through and by the time I get home I am feeling sick, shaky, light headed, dizzy and weak. The new car deodorizer smell is worn away and a funky, harsh stink, sort of like cat piss and mold is now present. I park the car in my garage and by the next morning my garage is wreaking of the stink too. This is not good. I call the dealer and he tells me to take it to my local dealer. I call VW customer care and they document the issue and promise to have a regional rep contact me no later than this Monday. They also tell me to take it to the dealer here in Charlotte. I do two things... I call an environmental safety engineer who sends a licensed, certified Industrial Hygienist to my house to run an air sample test inside the vehicle (results pending and should be available on Monday) to determine the cause of the odor (mold? phthalate hydrolysis? dangerous to my health or just a pain in the neck to deal with?). He also uses a moisture meter and points out that the entire floor of the car is SOAKED! The car came with Monster Mats and I was blissfully unaware of what was going on underneath as they are great at obscuring the carpet below them. And then I take it to the dealer. The service manager, when listing to me explain my plight simply waited patiently and calmly for me to finish speaking. He then stated in a matter of fact manner that they would have to pull out all the carpet, padding and coverings in the car and replace them. He knew immediately what needed to be done. Obviously (duh) this is an issue he has seen before. He promised me that they would take care of it, do the right thing as far as the depth and scope of the work to be done and would give me a loaner the entire time the car was in for repair. SO, we shall see what will be the end result.
    DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY POINTERS when talking to the service manager about this situation? Is there anything I should be aware of? I am going to ask that the carpets and padding be replaced as well as the seats and parts of the A/C as they are all saturated with this horrible stink. Any advice you can supply would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!!!
    edited September 2010
    I have ONE* advice for you. I had a '08 Eos, see if you can look up my posting first to read up. But even AFTER they replaced whole carpet and insulation, gave me new sets of monster mats, used special light thing to remove smell, I couldn't get rid of the mildew smell for months. The dealer asked me to try air it out by cracking windows, left in sun, I detailed the whole interior MYSELF with bathroom mildew cleaner, then more stuff to mask the smell... nothing helped.
    The problem doesn't lay directly in the floor! You must consider the seats may be wet too, which you will never get that smell out unless they were too replaced. Something else you really should seriously consider, how long did the previous owner had this problem? Were there rust on electrical wires? What if you have other malfunction later on (when the rust finally eats through), your warranty may be expired, you will have to pay for that repair. What about an unexpected short circuit that safety may be an issue? This is now a time bomb, $ and life.
    The only advice I will give you is, return it*. Don't bother jump through hoops like I did. My dealer was very nice, so I gave them the time & effort to try it out. But eventually, I had to file a lemon claim against VW, and they gave me a new Eos.
    I understand your disappointment, my eyes water up (not from sadness) just remembering the smell! You made one mistake by accepting the car, you can stop while you are ahead! Please don't go on and waste time, you will regret it even more. Feel free to reply.
    Thanks cadd2233. I appreciate your letting me know about the potential issues I never even considered. I am going to ask that they replace the carpet, padding, seats, AC evaporator (as per the industrial hygienist's suggestion) and to also extend the warranty another 2 years/24K miles. I anticipate that the dealer will comply with whatever VW corporate agrees to. Hopefully I will be speaking with a regional rep no later than Monday afternoon and that person will be reasonable and accommodating. I will post the results.
    The water leaked from my right front corner down into the speakers, I had 6" waves inside my car when I brake driving to the dealer! As good gesture, I guess you can go through the steps, but please reconsider! My boyfriend used to work for Servpro in his younger days. One sniff, he warned me it will never come out, he was right. He said insurance company (in this case, car) will try to get you to shampoo, etc., before they replace. You really should replace the car, period. The time you spend with sleepless nights, will make your one way flight cost seems so irrelevant. Do you have # of days to return the car that they may try to get you miss that date? Also, keep good documentation, # of days in shop (without car), type of repair, because you may need it later for the Lemon Law. See your local rules.
    There is no lemon law for a used/pre-owned vehicle!
    In that case, then you really should consider the possibility of returning it. Of course, the dealer down south will tell you ANYTHING to get rid of it out of their lot. I don't know if you have any leverage anymore, is there any # of days to test it/return?
    I do love my 2nd Eos, I hardly drive it, no leak yet in 10 months. I don't know what sucker got my 1st Eos, I hate to see someone like you get stuck with it, filled with empty promises, and do be aware of electrical problems which may occur down the line. What if it's an airbag? Would you want to risk that?
    OK, now your freaking me out... I had not thought about that. Airbag deployment for no good reason can be deadly! I will give the local dealer a chance to fix and will also keep the dealership that sold it to me in the loop. If it cannot be resolved in a reasonable time frame I will go to plan B. What plan B is, I have not quite figured out. I hate to think that it will come to that. Fingers crossed.
    edited September 2010
    I'm sorry. I was trying to put it to you gently at first, but I see you weren't getting my hint. Actually, I was more thinking of it being rusted, NOT deploy when needed. Better SAFE than sorry!? One can always use SAFETY as a legit reason to be concern, they can't deny you of that! Or, you can still "document it" as any "promises" they give you, so IF you ever need to sue them for injuries, not inconvinence (such as if the sound systems get fade out), you want them to put EVERYTHING in writing.
    You asked for advice, I give you the big picture, so you are more prepare to face the battle. Know when to retreat, and when to fight "to the death"? Sorry, but better to freak you out now than seeing you with worse posting.
    Well, here is an update... All is well with the Eos!
    VW authorized the dealer to pull out the interior and replace the carpets and padding. The interior will be cleaned and put back together. The mold test I had done by a third party industrial hygienist came back clean, so no mold. The smell, according to him, is from the deterioration of the rubber carpet padding which has been breaking down from prolonged exposure to moisture. It gives off a foul odor when doing this. Apparently this is not an uncommon problem for rubber padding or rubber backed carpets when exposed to long term moisture. He said it happens a lot on cement slab floors that take on moisture. He recognized the odor when he came to examine the car. The seals in the car have been replaced with new, redesigned seals and they all assure me the new design does not leak. The car has been water tested and is tight and dry. Going forward VW stated that should this not resolve the issue of the odor they would take the next step which would be to replace the seats as well as trunk liner, etc. So, for the moment all is OK. The car has been at the dealer since Monday and should be back tomorrow. Fingers crossed!
    If the Lemon Law applies, by keeping track of # of days in shop will give you leverage. Perhaps still document everything, make them put things in writing whenever possible. Negotiate FREE extended warranty including rust protection with the Regional Manager. Glad you are making progress, just want to make sure it's not 2 steps forward 3 steps back... bad mileage this way! ;)
    Best of luck to you. I do love this car, but never stop fearing the worst.
    After 4 days in the shop and all carpet and padding replaced the cat-urine-like odor is still there. It is now fairly apparent that the smell is coming from the rear of the car. The trunk stinks and so does the space underneath the rear deck cover when the top is down. With the car parked on the drive way, top down you can smell it wafting out as you approach it. It also noticed that the rubber flap attached to the chrome trim at the base of the rear window is loose and was slid all the way over to the drivers side, leaving a large gap on the passenger side. There are water marks on the trunk hinge lifts and on some of the exposed metal parts within the trunk. ANY ONE HAVE ANY INFO based on their experiences with this sort of thing? THANKS!
    Better late than never. I finally have an update on the car smell issue... After all this time the problem with the stinking Eos is OVER! The dealer here in Charlotte tore the car apart and discovered extensive water damage throughout the interior. It was more like a case of leaving the top down in a torrential downpour (common in South Florida) as opposed to a leaky top. They did their best and replaced carpet, padding, seats, interior sound proofing foam and still the smell would not go away. It did get better to a degree but it was not at all acceptable. So... I drove the car back to Florida and returned it to the dealer. They took it back, made me whole on the transaction and I got into a new Eos that does not smell and has 24K fewer miles than the last one! It is the same year (08), same color (black w/ beige leather), same trim level (Lux) and has brand new tires and brakes! It pays to be persistent! I drove the 11 hours back to Charlotte and the car was perfect. Now I just have to wait for the first rain storm and see if the sucker leaks. I don't think it will. I ran it through the car wash and not a drop of water was seen, so I think things will be OK.
    So glad you got to exchange the car and got a better deal. Yes, being persistant is the only way to your voice and concern heard.
    As for car wash, I do it myself by hand. My dealer said they replace seals on many Eos and improved the conditions, but he has never smell anything as bad as mine.
    Hope you still have some kind of warranty. Best of luck.
  • chatnchowchatnchow Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I've had all of the same issue with the roof being replaced as well. I have continued to experience leaks.

The car went back today for them to take a look.

I have filed a claim with VW corporate and will have an answer by Friday. As much as I love the car if they can't fix it, I'd like for them to take it off my hands :(
  • wstrobelwstrobel Member Posts: 1
    Check your mats. It is probably coming from them. VW replaced my whole interior
  • chatnchowchatnchow Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have a better complaint phone number or address to contact VW? I have gotten no where with the published phone number.
    Whats going on? Don't the canned response people at VW have a solution for your problem?
  • marintmarint Member Posts: 3
    To everyone who owns an EOS, and you still have your warranty in place, PLEASE, if water is coming on on the sides of the car, or on the front of the car where the latches connect TAKE IT IN ASAP for them to replace the seals. My car was leaking and I took it in because it smelled like MOLD! VW refuses to take responsibility for this manufacturing problem which will cost 1,900 to replace the seal and another 1,200 or so to replace the carpet. My warranty expired on 11/15/10 and all they can do is give me a 1,000 as a good will, but this is not my fault, this is a manufacturing issue. If I would have known this car leaked, I would have never purchased it.