Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus GS Tires and Wheels

Comments

• charevechareve Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem. I began to notice some noise around 12K. Now at 14K the noise is so loud I thought it was a wheel bearing going out. Lexus said some tires become "defective" at that point and become noisy, but the tires are not warranted against noise. At this point I won't drive the car anymore until I have time to replace the tires. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking for tires that are quiet above all else. My wife and I don't test the limits of the vehicle by any mean.
  • tlouietlouie Posts: 20
    Can anyone give insight on upgraded 18 inch G-Spider wheels on GS350 w/245/40/18 tires? Is the ride a lot more bumpier than standard 17 inch wheels/tires and is it more responsive to handling? I was wondering if It is worth it for this option.
  • lawaiilawaii Posts: 7
    In my opinion, the answer is yes, and yes. I have a 4-week old GS350 with 245/40-18 wheels and Yokohoma tires.

All of the dealers in this area (San Diego) order only GS350s with the optional 18" low-profile tires. I noticed a problem with noise on concrete freeways when I test drove the vehicle. But I was told that it would take about four months to order a car from the factory with the standard 17" tires.

The 18" tires make my car relatively noisy on concrete freeways and bumps on regular roads much more noticeable. On a few sections of freeway, they cause my car to go into the dreaded "freeway hop". I'm stuck with the 18" wheels for now, but will be looking for a solution to that problem sometime in the future.

As for the other "yes" --- the 18"s do allow going around corners very fast, and the suspension keeps the car relatively flat --- surprisingly flat for a Lexus. Except for the tires, a somewhat short low-beam headlight cutoff, and slightly "vague" on-center steering, I consider it an excellent car.

To give you a reference point, I traded in a BMW540i that I drove for a number of years and loved. I just could not accept the really awful rear-end styling on the latest 5 Series. I kept waiting for them to correct that huge mistake, but finally gave up and bought the GS350.
  • lawaiilawaii Posts: 7
    Do you have the standard 17" wheels or the optional 18" low-profile? I have the latter on an almost new GS350 and they are driving me up the wall because of noise on concrete and harshness over bumps. My tires are Yokohoma ADVANs. What were the ones you had removed? If you had 18"s, maybe all I need is a different set of tires.
  • I just got my '07 GS350 RWD (26 miles) and I am getting way too much tire noise from the OEM Yokohama-Avan-10 18" tires. The dealer said they will trade out for the Michelin Pilot P2.
    That's the only other tire Lexus will recommend for this car. Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks
  • Follow up:
    I picked my car up today from the Lexus dealer here in Tampa. The new tires are Michelin Pilot A/S and they swapped the Yokohama tires out with an even trade.
    The new ride is not only smooth but 50% less noise.
    The dealer knew I was not happy and they went out of their way to have a satisified first time Lexus owner.
  • chucko3chucko3 Posts: 793
    Today I noticed my front (empty) passenger seat vibrates
    quite a bit when the speed is between 60-75 mph. It could happen a while ago or after
    I had the tires rotated a couple months ago.

I don't know because the front tires are out
    of balance or it's the hard run flat tires.
    Does anyone experience this?
    Checked the wheels, no signs of the weights
    came off.
  • rah7rah7 Posts: 2
    HI,

I'm in the process of buying the GS350 and none of the dealers are making the G-Spider Wheels available. That's OK, since it would probably be cheaper to buy it aftermarket.

However, I'm trying to find a Wheels stores that are selling the 18" G-Spider wheels for the GS350. I'm also interested in buying Chrome.

Does anyone have any leads on any Wheel stores in Los Angeles or Orange County, that offer these wheels at a reasonable discount?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you
  • tlouietlouie Posts: 20
    Try ebay, park place Lexus post some on there. They are $1K with shipping included. Not a bad deal.
  • dnguyen2dnguyen2 Posts: 2
    I am interested in the 18" wheels and currently have the 17" wheels in Chrome. Would anyone be interested in trading? I am from Southern California.
  • I know you wrote that messaage in July, but do you still have your 17's. I am looking to buy some.
  • Yes, I do still have those wheels. The wheels are in mint condition with no scratches, dents, etc.
  • I am looking at a 2007 GS350. How has yours been driving since you had them change the tires to Michelins? I saw your posting in July and just wanted to see what your thoughts were now. Any other thoughts I should consider before I talk with the salesperson about buying this car?
    Thanks.
  • On my GS300 2006 I had issues with my tires Yokohama after 15000 km. They were making to much sound. In my understanding the tire material was to hard. Yokohama inspected the tires at 30'000 km, yes I had to wait quite a long time, and they were very surprised about the low wear of the tires. They accepted the case and offered me to replace the original mounted tires by a new series still within the same model. It seems that they are aware of the issue. Due to the km I have to pay around 30% of the standard list price.
  • :sick: Do I have to pull the tranny to replace the starter on a 1998 gs 400. Are they any schematic sites available online to veiw.? Is this a couple hour weekend job or better left to the pro's Thanks in advance Mark
  • Hello Mark,
    Since the starter located in the V bank so You would have to remove the intake plenum to again access to the starter. There is 2 14mm bolts hold the starter in place. This is not an easy task. I would leave it to lexus Certified tech peform this job. You are looking at 7-8 hrs of labor and the price of a starter.
    Regards,
    Dallas Independent Lexus and Toyota
    www.jpimportz.org
  • jeffl3jeffl3 Posts: 3
    I was looking at a Lexus in comparison to a 4 motion Passat or Cadillac STS. The tire problems seem to be a real issue. My brothers AWD Toyota van suffers from the same problem. At about 10 to 15K miles they cup and are really loud. Seems like a run flat tire issue. I'm not sure I want to consider a Lexus if they can't pick the right tires for it. Seems to simple of an item to miss so that the owner has to come in each year for new tires or listen to the noise.

Has anybody had good luck with run flats on a GS350 and wore them out without them cupping and generating noise?
  • chucko3chucko3 Posts: 793
    At 14K miles my 07GS350 AWD Run flat tires are still OK.
    One thing I notice is I don't think the tires can last over 25K miles.
    They wear out faster than conventional tires.
    The tires were rotates every 5K miles.
  • kcwleekcwlee Posts: 2
    I didn't know how bad the Run flat tires on my 08GS350 AWD until yesterday. I got a screw at RR. My car is only 10 days old with 300 miles. How unlucky I am! At the near local tire store, they can't fix it because of run flat tire. My wife took the car to the Lexus dealer, at the beginning they said they can fix the tire. Later on, they said they can't fix it. It has to be replaced and it won't be free because there is no warranty. The cost is about $400 for just one. How ridiculous with the cost!! It is more than twice cost with conventional tires. They wear out much faster than conventional tires. And they can't not be fixed or replace to conventional tires. Why does Lexus have this bad tire design on GS? I researched online and I found out there are a few other car brands with run flat tires having problems since 2005. They are Toyata Sienna AWD, Honda Odyssey and BMW 3 Series. As far as I known, there are class action lawsuits going one with them. I should research this before I purchased the car. If I knew this, I would not consider to purchase the car.

Does anyone have any bad experience on these Run Flat tires?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Different car, but lots of not so great experience with the RFTs being discussed here: BMW 3-Series Run Flat Tires.

I'm sorry. If you do a Forums-wide search you'll find other discussions on the subject as well.