Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• rjcruzzrjcruzz Member Posts: 6
    Towing will not be a problem. I currently tow a 4k lb. travel trailer which when loaded is about 5k lbs. I would recommend a load equalizing hitch for a more level ride. Also, keep it at/or less than 65mph, anything above and gas mileage really takes a dip. I talked with a guy at Lake Tahoe who used to tow with his Chevy Tahoe (350 engine) and he had nothing but praise as to how much better the LC towed and handled overall.
    I have a 99 LC and was folding up the rear third seat and was exiting the rear when I felt and heard a loud snap underneath me. Seems that one of the cables that holds up the tailgate snaped. When I removed the plastic shroud I discovered that it broke right in the middle, it appeared to be corroded as if water was getting in there, causing it to rust. Has anybody else experieced anything like this?? Good thing both cables did not break, might have had to replace the bumper cover.
  • bwrsrobwrsro Member Posts: 3
    I had the exact same problem with the tailgate cable last year. It had rusted through prior to breaking. Only the drivers side was affected.

Watch out for the price of a replacement. The local dealer wanted in excess of 80 dollars. I found a dealer on the internet (somewhere in Texas)that mailed one to me for under 20 dollars. Still ridiculous price for a cable, but a lot more palatable than the local dealer.
  • maxfieldmaxfield Member Posts: 5
    A few weeks ago the power locks on my TLC stopped working from the door switches. They still work from the remote. I've taken it in but my dealer has not located the problem. A rep from Chicago is coming in to look at it tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone had seen this problem before? Its not a huge deal but I'd like to get it fixed under waranty if I can. I'd prefer to find the problem quickly rather than have the reps go on a "search and destroy" mission through the electrical system.
  • mobiweldmobiweld Member Posts: 99
    I noticed mine is rusting ('98). Do you happen to know who, in Texas, you bought the replacement from?
    Thanks
  • gunnerisacgunnerisac Member Posts: 8
    Had the same thing on the passenger side. Just broke in half -- rusted through on my 99 TLC. was still under warranty (35k) at the time so dealership replaced @ no cost.

Paul
  • hicairahicaira Member Posts: 276
    Passenger side cable. Rusted through on my 98. Replaced under warranty (have less than 36,000 miles on mine).

The problem, as I see it, is that the sheath on the cable can slip allowing water to enter, but not escape. When closed, the cable is folded in half and the water (even a single drop will do) sits at the half way point and begins to rust. Pull the sheath on your other side and make sure it is clean. Long term solve is to either a) prevent water from getting in or b) allowing water to escape. Some electrical tape at either end of the sheath should accomplish the former, but a small hole in the sheath right at the fold point might be a more reliable option.

HiC
  • mghmgh Member Posts: 43
    rjcruzz,bwrsro,mobiweld,gunnerisac,hicaira.

Are you talking about the stainless steel cable that holsd the tailgate?
    I have never experience this problem with stainless steel.(my pick up has this with out the plastic protectors and is 8 years old. Does your cables have a shiny look? Mine has SS and I inspected it today and find it really hard for water to go trough because of the end plastic boots at the ends.But even if the water goes in, SS will resist unless is salt water and is 20 years old. I have almost a year with mine and it looks brand new not even water stains on the cable. The only exeption to this is that if the cable is in a bind and it bends constantly with use and it will eventully brake this way for sure.

Let me know if I am the only one with SS cables.

Regards,

MG
    Found one of mine broken yesterday.
    Replacements are not $80. Retail price at local dealer was $15 each.
    cable on mine was not SS. Braided steel wire broken by rust-through, not fatigue.

What year is yours? Maybe the newer ones (and replacement cables) are SS?. Wonder if there is a TSB on this?

HiC
  • ironside7ironside7 Member Posts: 38
    I inspected my tailgate cables over the weekend (98 TLC). The passenger side was fine. However, when I pulled back the bottom section of the plastic sheath on the driver's side, rust particles literally "poured" out of the sheath. It appears that the top section of the sheath on that side came out of the plastic boot that covers the cable bolts. I think that I'll be replacing the driver's side as a precautionary measure.
  • TonyG5003TonyG5003 Member Posts: 9
    I thought that I would add my two cents.

First of all, the Navigation system is DVD based. The country is divided into segments, which are easily accesible from the touch screen.

I previously had a 2000 Mercedes ML430 and traded it for this 2001 Land Cruiser back in April. This Navigation system is by far superior to the Mercedes. EVERY detail as far as the roads is on the map, even tiny county roads. Even the road that leads up to my grandmother's house (on private property) was on it! How.. I don't quite know. I have found it to be very accurate, and much more user friendly when compared to the Mercedes, mostly because it is a touch screen. I absolutely love it.

As far as my owning experience so far, I have nothing negative to report. I have about 8000 miles, and have had nothing go wrong. However, I will say that the customer service "experience" doesn't come close to owning a Mercedes. They're not rude, just not near as "lovey-dovey."

I read farther back, a couple of people mentioned their LC's leaning. I thought I was crazy for a while, but mine also leans just a tad. When I notice it, it bothers me.. but only because I worry that people will think I'm fat when when they come up behind me! (I'm kidding.. well almost.) Other than that, I try not to pay attention to it.

Finally, for those of you who are VERY particular about water spots and cleanliness.... I got every option available on my LC, including some sort of special sealant or protectant. I have found that because of this, water does not bead on the car, it simply "sheets" off. It has been effortless to keep clean. Of course, I have the Champagne Pearl, so dirt isn't very visible either.

Just my two cents.....
  • njpaguynjpaguy Member Posts: 55
    This is my very first Toyota product. Just turned 15,000 miles (Since April 01). Other than the amp problem (thanks to this board for how to deal with the problem quickly), the only odd thing was my TLC had only 1 tailgate strap from the factory, which the dealer cheerfully installed. Other than that, I've changed the oil every 5000 miles (Mobil 1) and I put gas in it. And speaking of gas, I have no idea how someone can get 10-12 MPG with this. On our summer vacation, during a 5 hour run across Pennsylvania averaging between 75 - 85 MPH, I was getting over 17 MPG!!! My worst, under city driving, has been just a hair over 14 MPG. This is the vehicle Detroit should be able to build, but either can't...or won't. What can I say? Thank you, Toyota!
  • joeeblow1joeeblow1 Member Posts: 238
    "This is the vehicle Detroit should be able to build, but either can't...or won't."

I think Detroit calls it the Suburban. Or the Tahoe, or is it the Navigator? I always forget :).
    The Suburban, Tahoe, and Navigator don't match up to the build quality and reliability of the TLC. You can't say the TLC should be better because it costs more, because without the import tariff, the TLC would cost virtually the same as the US vehicles. We almost bought the Tahoe (GM has done a wonderful job of improving and refining this vehicle), but the great volume of reliability issues with the Tahoe listed on this message board and others made the decision for us.
    In light of the earlier bad lift cable stories, I got a good laugh out of you comment:

"...the only odd thing was my TLC had only 1 tailgate strap from the factory, which the dealer cheerfully installed..."

Methinks that the factory is not to blame for the missing cable, but rather, the cheerful dealer who stole one from new inventory to replace a broken one for someone else.

HiC
    Nothing to be sorry about except missing my sarcasm ;).
    And I missed it? I'm still way too uptight after the events of the past two weeks. Sarcasm is my middle name. (I guess they're right about the healing process. Do hope my sarcasm recovers. Otherwise, it would be a terrible loss...)
  • kerlybkerlyb Member Posts: 2
    I have read previous listings on this board and the Lexus LX 470 board in regards to a possible bypass solution on the DVD system so you can watch while in drive mode (of course we are talking about the passengers only and not the driver). However, nobody has followed up on it. I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has successfully done this to their TLC/LX470. If so, can I get the name and place of the shop that successfully performed it. Is there a way to output the video to additional monitors (flip down roof or head rest monitors)? Thanks in advance.
    On the issue of the tailgate cable, when I called the dealer and spoke with the parts dept. they said the part number had changed for the item. He was under the impression that this happened only when a change had been made to the part. His record showed only about 8 previous orders, so nothing way out of the ordinary for Toyota to take a look at. Regardless, I payed about $15 for it and it does not appear to be stainless steel, nor did my old one.
  • tlc_utahtlc_utah Member Posts: 28
    All,

Does anyone know the website for the Toyota TSBs and recalls ? I will be trying to get hold of my local dealer to find out if possible.

Regards,

Trader
    All,

Just wanted to let you all know that I got a 2000 TLC white with chrome wheels and tan leather. It is very sweet machine and is sure a pleasure to drive. Has anyone installed the Toyota or aftermarket DVD based navigation system ?

I checked with the local dealership and the parts guy told me that glass screen itself would cost 6100 !!!! Wires, installation etc would be extra...

Thanks,

Trader
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Links to Recalls on NHTSA's site

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Silver 2001 LC, loaded with DVD and all. Drove the truck approximately 10,000 miles and doesn't like it. She'll sell the truck for $45,xxx.

Anyone have any interest?

markie@home.com
    Please, no soliciting on Town Hall. Try Edmunds Used PowerShopper & good luck.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• lc2000lc2000 Member Posts: 33
    Trader: It's my understanding that Toyota will not install their NAV system aftermarket. That goes for the 2001 LC as well as the 2000. If the vehicle didn't come with it, Toyota won't put it in.

However, the $6100 price tag your dealer quoted you is rediculeous. You can purchase the Alpine system (DVD or CD) with pull out screen etc., and have it installed for about half that price. The only problem is you will lose your current 6 disk CD player. But you will still be able to play single CDs in the Alpine system.

I have not bought the Alpine system (yet) but I have seen it and talk to the installer. It is a very professional install that looks factory perfect.

Hope this helps.
  • shistainshistain Member Posts: 2
    I just brought in my 1997 LC for the 30K service to a Toyota Dealer. The service cost $400.00. They said I needed new rear brakes, just replaced them 5K mi ago! They wanted to charge $360.00 for the rear only!! This seems outrageous to me. They also quoted $130.00 to change the drive belt. Seems like Toyota likes to take advantage of customers of their most expensive vehicle.. I would appreciate others thoughts on service and prices listed. Thanks
  • shistainshistain Member Posts: 2
    My 1997 TLC is a "Collectors Edition." (It has badging on the sides, rear and floormats. The emblums are a smoke color.) I have never seen one other than mine. Any information on production of these? Were they rare or did Toyota just try to pump out these last 97 before the 98 model change by adding new badging? (I am sure that is the answer.)
  • burtonvalley2burtonvalley2 Member Posts: 4
    Toyota dealerships are not cheap, and my personal experiences with a dealership here in N. Calif. have shown me that the Toyota used car "certification" and "President's Award" designations are worthless. A better bet is to find a shop in your area that specialize in SUVs.
    I ask the Toyota dealership to match the price with the competition and it generally works out fine. In the end I can get the same service done for half the price.

About 'Collector's Edition' I think it is done by the dealerships and not by Toyota. For example, mine is called 'Karl Malone Edition' with badging all around and Karl's signature stitched onto the headrests of the front seats. Hope this helps.
    How do they install it ? Is it like the factory in which all the controls for tape, cd, ac etc are in the nav system or is seperate ?

Which Alpine nav system did you consider the one with the DVD or CD Rom ? I would appreciate if you could share the estimates for parts and labor given by the Alpine guys.

Thanks.
    It depends on what work was required for the rear brakes. There are rotors, calipers, e-brake shoes, pads, and wheel bearings & seals on the rearend. The dealer will charge you about $100 a piece for the rotors. Calipers are very expensive, etc., so the potential price for a complete brake job is very high.

Unless you can say what's needed, it's hard to say what the price should be.

IMO basic brake work is easy to do yourself with minimal tools. I do not recommend turning the rotors on an 80 series Cruiser as they quickly warp. Just let the pads bed in, and if the rotors are warped, replace them. You can find aftermarket rotors for as low as $30 each.

In your case, have the dealer outline exactly what work they want to do. If they want to replace the calipers, have them show you why (pistons frozen?). Same with the rotors. Warped or too thin? Don't forget to pack the wheel bearings in the rear. If they can't or won't do this, take your vehicle elsewhere.

AFAIK the collector's edition is a dealer item. The 40th anniv is the factory edition.
  • bigdave12bigdave12 Member Posts: 14
    Hey, you guys mind if I join in? Since the
    Lx discussion gets a couple of posts a week,
    I have found myself lurking in your discussion.
    In reading you post, I find that you have the
    same questions,problems and likes about the
    L.C as I do with the 470.
  • philg87philg87 Member Posts: 74
    So tell me Dave why did you choose the LX over LC?We can all learn from these two SUVs also Dave have you talk to your Dealership about the future for the LX any changes it might take on?
  • ravickravick Member Posts: 18
    Dave, I'm assuming you've driven a TLC at some point. Can you tell me if there is a noticeable difference in the ride between the LX & the TLC. What other contrasting features can you point out between the two vehicles, besides the obvious ones highlighted in the brochures. Thanks
    All,

I spent good one hour with the Service Manager at the local Toyota dealership near my home. There are totally 37 TSBs on 2000 TLC. He printed the ones that he thought were the ones that need any action. I am summarizing the details for everyone's benefit.

A/C Condenser Fan Relay Corrosion ( 98-00) AC003-00

Trailer Wire Harness ( 00 ) AX002-00

New Seat Belt Tongue Plate Stopper Service Parts (all applicable models of toyota TLCs 1991-2001 ) BO011-01

Seat Heater Replacement Procedure ( 98-00 ) BO016-00

Rear Brake Squeal Noise ( 98-00 ) BR005-01

Engine Immobilizer System Precautions ( All Toyota models after 1998 ) EL006-99

Electrical Wiring Diagram Amendment ( 00 ) EL006-00

Daytime Running Light Disabling Procedure ( All Models ) EL011-00

Transfer Case Buzz Noise ( 98-00 ) NV001-01

Shoulder Belt Anchor Tape Set (All Applicable Models ) BO019-01

Hope this helps others like me.

Regards
    My 00 TLC did not come with a 'security system'. However it has a remote embedded in the key. I donot think this provides any security. Has anyone installed a security system on their vehicle ? I have Vipers on my other 2 cars and I have been very satisfied with those. Any suggestions ???
  • lc2000lc2000 Member Posts: 33
    tlc_utah (Trader?) Are you sure your 2000 does not have a security system? It may be that it is there and (for some reason) isn't working. Try using the remote key to lock the doors. Stand far enough away from the vehicle so that you can see the at least one of the head or tail lights, then press the remote. If the lights flash, you have just activated the security system. It will not chirp or make any sound. Similarly, when you unlock the car with the remote, the lights will flash to advise you the security system is deactivated. Also, press and hold the red (panic) button on your remote key. This should set off the horn and cause the lights to flash until you deactivate it. Cannot believe your 2000 LC does not have a security system.

And by the way: Thanks for the TSB list. Very interesting.
  • spfoteyspfotey Member Posts: 131
    I am thinking of getting out of my ML320 and into a TLC. I would like some opinions on reliability. I had a Previa that was simply outstanding. I would probably consider the HIghlander but i want a third row option and i want AC in the back seats. (live in AZ). I know many who have flocked to the Sequoia but it's too big. also -- how bad is the gas mileage??

thx.
  • lzhou1147lzhou1147 Member Posts: 6
    I installed the Alpine system 3 months ago, for about $3950. The Alpine DVD based Navigation system is the BEST out there. I paid $320 total for installation, $250 for the Nav, and $70 for the rest of the stuff. I was going to buy the DVD bypass from eBay, but the shop gave it to me for free!

CVA-1006 MobileMultimedia Station/Receiver/Ai-NET Controller (this is the monitor) $920

NVE-N852A DVD Vehicle Navigation System $1500

DHA-S680 6-Disc DVD/CD Ai-NET "Media" Changer $910

CDA-5755 In-Dash Add-On CD Player/DSP Processor $300

Labor $320

DVD picture bypass, free.
  • bigdave12bigdave12 Member Posts: 14
    I've driven both these fine suvs. As far as the driving and handling I would say they both handle the same . The exception would be the LX's has some adjustment settings which allow a softer ride should you desire. I personally do not like the soft settings as they make the car drive like a boat.

As far as the the engine I found both cars smooth as silk. The interior of the Lexus is a bit more luxurious but overall very similar. I found the leather seats identical to the Lx in comfort and in leather quality.

I was looking around for a TLC with navigation and found one at dealer in San Diego. Since this dealer was 100 miles away I called beforehand and agreed on a price. When I got there the salesman started doing a song and dance. I was the victim of the old bait and switch. I walked out and went to the Lexus dealer, within two minutes they knocked off $10,000 of the sticker and ended up with an Lx470 with Nav/.DVD

I was at the Lexus dealer last week. They had a couple of 2002 Lx's No changes, the car is exactly the same. I understand the DVD/NAV is now standard. They have also knocked off $3000 off the sticker, which explains why they gave me that deal in Aug. 01.
  • jam1000jam1000 Member Posts: 182
    Thanks for your informative post regarding TSBs. Did the dealer elaborate on the trailer wire harness and transfer case buzz noise TSBs -- what the problem was, what the the fix was, and why he thought these required action (whereas, apparently, he thought that most of the TSBs did not require action)?
  • jq3jq3 Member Posts: 52
    I have a '00 TLC and was wondering is there any way I can program the security system to lock the doors when it's put into gear? Also, unlock when it's put in "Park". My '97 4-Runner's system was able to do this and I can't believe the TLC's system can't!

Thanks!
    Hi,

I have exactly the same things that you mentioned. However, when I was talking to the service guy they asked me if my TLC came with the "VIP System" - some security system that is installed by the toyota dealers. That led me to believe that I don't have a security system. I thought that flashing of the lights could be just one of those "keyless entry" features.

Thanks for the clarification.
    I am typing the introductions for the TSBs
    =============================================
    Trailer Wire Harness TSB:

Starting December 1999, the 2000 MY Land Cruiser came equipped with a factory installed towing converter system.
    The new converter system will require installation of a sub-harness (Service P/N 08921-60820 ) from converter to hitch which will be available in all PIO/DIO hitch kits (PT228-60003). This converter system is NOT interchangeable with the previous Trailer Harness Kit ( P/N PT207-60994).

This bulletin provides a ten step procedure for replacing the new factory converter in case of repair or maintenance. Also provided is a procedure for functional verification once replacement is complete. Service Part Number 08940-60810 is to be ordered in the case of converter replacement. This serviec part contains the converter and wiring harness for the vehicle side. It does NOT contain the sub-harness (P/N 08921-60820 ) used from converter to hitch.

Transfer Case Buzz Noise :
    To minimize operating noise from the Transfer Case during low speed moderate acceleration and high speed light acceleration, the High Speed Output Gear, Shift Lever Assembly and Center Differential Case have been modified.

I think the Rear Brake Squeal Noise TSB is also important. It mentions that to reduce the possiblity of rear brake squeal noise, the rear rotor and anti-squeal shims have been modified.

Hope this answers your questions.
    Thanks for the info on the Alpine. I have a few questions.

Do you have the pictures that you can post on the web as to how it looks?

Did you install one screen or multiple screens ? For example a drop down from the top so that kids sitting in the last row can see because I would think it would be difficult for them to watch a movie if the screen is on the dash board.

What is the DVD picture bypass ?

What is the use of CDA-5755 In-Dash Add-On CD Player/DSP Processor ?

What did they do with the Toyota CD player ?

Again, thanks for posting the information.
  • lzhou1147lzhou1147 Member Posts: 6
    I will try to post some pictures next week.

I have only one screen in the front. Saw a picture in the shop, they added a second screen coming out of the center arm rest/storage section, looks very nice.

A DVD bypass is added so you can watch DVD movie while the car is moving.

The DSP processor is an EQ, Digital Harmonics Enhancer, surround sound, seat position selector, time correction, etc... A lot of things you can play with. It makes the music better, and the difference is easily noticeable.

The Toyota CD player is removed, I can play CD with the DVD changer, and the DSP processor can play CD as well.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Take the LC to your dealer. There is a procedure they can perform with the scan tool to accomplish this.