Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• joeeblow1joeeblow1 Member Posts: 238
    I would invest in the factory wiring manual for chasing down shorts and figuring out where the harness was hacked. I'm shocked, just shocked, that a PO had messed with the wiring. I'm not very familiar with the wiring on 70's TLC's. It's possible it has a ballast resistor. The Land Cruiser Mailing List would be a good source of information.

I'm not sure about the mechanical pump, assuming it still has the original pump. I would prime the carb to get it going and see if it stays running.
  • stickman3stickman3 Member Posts: 11
    Anyone have suggestions for a carrier for 2000 LC?
    With kids in each row of seats in has really cut into cargo space...the only negative trade-off in my mind in buying the LC over a Sequoia...in any event any suggestions?
  • tnhhudsontnhhudson Member Posts: 18
    I had the same problem last Christmas with kids presents and space. I went with Sears and their "Sport 20-SV". It rode 1400 miles filled to the rim on my 95 with no problems. Installation was a one man operation. I have seen them on sale for +/- $175.
  • 2cruisers2cruisers Member Posts: 5
    Have been using the Yakima Space Case on my 2000 Cruiser. It works great and holds alot. Just about anything you have including skis. Can also be used just as easy on my 93 fjz80. Never had a problem and use it in all seasons.

They've introduced some new models since I purchased mine. Can pick your size or style depending on use and price.
  • george62george62 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know where I can find the specs on the factory tint (% shade, color, metalized, etc..)on a 2000 LC? I want to match up the front side windows.
  • jamesbass1jamesbass1 Member Posts: 75
    I've been bugging Cliffy about Cruiser vs. new 4Runner V8 and thought I'd give him a rest on this one. If I do decide to go the full bannana (meaning Cruiser), then I need to decide btween LX470 or All Cruiser for a few K's difference. Have checked this out? Is the hydraulic suspension, finer trim, Mark Levinson stereo/dvd nav system, service, etc. worth the bang for your buck? Please give me your cold hard evaluation on these great vehicles...I know, it's tough. JB
  • pbankpbank Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone have additional info on the cargo covers for L/C i.e. any site to get a look at one ect... Thanks
  • md2002md2002 Member Posts: 142
    I have to tell you I have compared both the TCL and LX470 about a year ago. For me it is a quest to find a seat that is comfortable, and hopefully is wraped around a great vehicle.

The TLC is no slouch by any means and the LX does offer some nice creature items, like Mark Levinson, telescoping stereo, adjustable suspension, maybe upscale leather etc. But take a look at 2-3yr old TLC vs LX's. You will pay $5-6k more for the LX, plus there is the maintenance costs.

They are the same except those few items. But the suspension is another thing to break (eventually) and will cost a ton to fix. The stereo, are you an audiophile and will you notice the diff? Leather, hey the TLC seats are nice too. I guess it is really just an image piece at that point.

I would go TLC simply because I know you can get a better deal and it is the same. For me it really comes down to finding one that has what I want and low miles to boot.

Good Luck.
  • semanticssemantics Member Posts: 51
    ...interior will go thru a complete redesign. Upgraded and upscaling it completely.
  • kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    James, Last week we decided on the LC. The price for the is basically $5000 less if you get the LC with the navigation system. We wanted the gray interior and its easier to find on an LC.

Also, I understand the LX470 is changing to the Sequoia platform for model year 2005. So, in 2 1/2 years , a 2002 LX470 will be dated. Supposedly, the 2005 LC may go retro, like a Defender. There may be more demand for a used LC versus the LX470 in three years if the above changes are correct.

I did really like the memory seating and the cornering suspension deal on the LX470 and the extra year of warranty. But, in the end, went LC.
  • vicrvicr Member Posts: 3
    Due to the planned arrival of a child seat and its related cargo in the near future, my wife and I have been searching for an SUV and have pretty well narrowed it down to a Land Cruiser/ LX470. Due to budget constraints, we are looking at used 98/99's with 30,000 to 40,000 miles on them. Any tips or weak spots to look for in these years? Most that we looked at so far in this range seem to be lease returns. The local Toyota/ Lexus dealer really seems to charge a premium over book value so I'll probably end up getting one without the certified pre-owned warranty from a private party. Any tips or things to watch for would be apprecited! By the way, under the skin the Land Cruisers and LX 470's are the same, right?

Thanks,

-Vic
  • mobiweldmobiweld Member Posts: 99
    Solid trucks. Rear air is a nice thing to have with kids in the back, but not necessarily a deal-killer. LC is a better buy over Lexus from a maintenance standpoint...air shocks are unbelievably expensive to replace on the Lexus. And assuming you keep the truck long enough, they will need replacement at some point down the road. Lexus has adjustable air shocks and a nicer steering wheel...for an extra 10 grand.
  • ironside7ironside7 Member Posts: 38
    I have a 98 TLC and recently have noticed a bit of a rough idle when the car is in drive. The rig has 45 K miles on it. Is there any service that should be performed that can help with the idling problem? I presume that the spark plugs are still fine. Is there a possibility that the fuel injectors have deposits on them and need to be serviced? Thanks in advance for any info.
  • rayrockrayrock Member Posts: 14
    i had a '99 lx470 the suspension groaned when raising and lowering. the shocks had to be replaced,the suspension started clunking before i replaced the vehicle, the nakamichi cd skipped on bumps,and the exhaust heat shield twanged at about 1500 rpm(before exhaust modification). just shows that even toyota can goof with such a complicated machine. in that case maybe the tlc would be better. on the positive side, the lx had an incredible ride, off road ability ( took it way off in utah, vermont and new jersey) and then effortlessly cuises home . installed a 'jaos'grill guard and a borla exhaust.
  • aka5505sicaka5505sic Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone made the tours pricing a 2002 LC in the Wilmington, DE/SE Chester County PA region recently? I'm looking for a loaded 2002 LC and I've received one price (about $5000.00 off list of $59,300.00). Does this sound good/bad/about right? Any particular accolades/horror stories with particular dealers? Would appreciate any info.
    Thanks for the imput. Lately, I've been putting alot of rubber on the road and unable to respond on this board immediately. On Tuesday, I'm headed to the Smokies and a rafting ride down the Nantahala.

MD, I too have wondered about the replacement cost of that fancy smancy hydraulic system on the LX470. It might last forever for all I know, but have yet to read or hear of any problems...or anything else for that matter. I have heard that the new GX470 will have it, and ditto for the new 2003 4Runner. I'm wondering if Toyota is going full tilt in this hydraulic direction for its upper scale SUV's? I'd like to learn more of the pros and cons of this system.

Most of all my experience with checking out SUV's has been at the local Toyota Dealer when I'm getting my frequent oil changes. A few months ago, I ran into this fellow with a brand new LX470, Black (not my favorite color for living in Florida), and loaded with all the toys. I mentioned to him my keen interest in Cruisers, and he told me he had shopped them thoroughly but got his LX470 for nearly the same price. That comment, favorable reviews from Edmunds,Consumer Reports, etc. and feedback from Lexus owners had got me thinking about the Cruiser's kissing cousin. Still, I'd like to learn more, especially about the hydraulics.

Kjack, Sequoia already uses the Tundra truck frame. Both made in the same brand new factory here in the USA, but it's a stretch for me to see the Cruiser going that way. On the other hand, I can easily imagine Cruisers going retro and reverting back to its original purpose...a move in the right direction IMO. The Toyota Land Cruiser already has retro versions around the world, only they are not imported to the US. I'd like to see the diesel version over here too.

Whatever I buy you can bet it will get many years of service until it begins to reach that magic 275K range. That's when I start getting antsy about buying a new one. I use my vehicles for business and pleasure, and so far Toyota has been the best ticket I've ever bought! Congrats all around for your recent LC purchase, and look forward to reading your updates. JB
  • laguylaguy Member Posts: 1
    We have been driving a 99 LX470 for three years, and our lease is about to expire. We love the car and have had no problems with it in all this time. There are 45,000 miles on it. All of our driving is in the city and freeway -- I don't anticipate ever driving off road or towing. We are now considering: (i) buying a new Sequioa, (ii) buying a new Land Cruiser or (iii) buying out the lease (our buy out price is $36,000). Due to changes in our economic condition, replacing it with a new LX470 is out of the question. The Sequoia seems slightly too large, the Land Cruiser is slightly too expensive, and the buy out seems too risky in terms of future maintenance. What should we do?
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Lexus has a GX470 coming out in January 2003 in the $45-50k range. Early reviews is that it will be a great riding truck - maybe best of them all. Edmunds has already done such a review. Why don't you see if you can cut a deal with Lexus to hold the LX470 at a reduced lease price if you can swing the GX470 assuming that truck suits your tastes. There is a message board already started on the GX470.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    LFS will extend your lease for up to 6 months at your current payments. They also add to your mileage allotment when you do this. All that is required is a phone call to them and they will fax a form for your signature.
  • olizerolizer Member Posts: 38
    Very easy decision! You know how well you took care of the LC. Are there any problems? If not buy it; they'll last at least 'til 200K if maintained. If possible get an extended warranty.
  • cadriencadrien Member Posts: 21
    I have been looking at a 96 LC with 98,000 miles. What potential problems should I look for? Also, what does everyone feel is a fair price for this vehicle. it is loaded. Any general suggestions on buying a used LC are greatly appreciated. I want to make ure I get something that will last a long time.
    I agree with Olizer on this one. I would take the buy out. Have you noticed what the resale price is on a 3yr old LX? Try in the low to mid $40's. Not bad considering. I would go extended warranty 6yr/100k and drive it. The only bad thing is the air suspension, but if it fails in warranty you are fine.
    You might even be able to negotiate of your buyout down further. Look at the two top online pricing services, Edmund's and the other one, for an honest trade-in value. Olizer makes a good point of your knowing how well the truck has been taken care of.

We used our '99 leased Landcruiser on the recent purchase of an '02. The miles were 5000 over, but after talking with a dealer here, they wanted our 99, so we bought it out and are now waiting on this thunder cloud colored one to come in. AKA, LC availability is limited here in the South. So, that would be a great price for down here. After all is said and done, we got one for right at your price with a 100,000 mile warranty included.

I wanted to get a new one, because after having the first one, which was fantastic, I wanted one to baby for 200,000 miles; not exactly how I treated the leased vehicle.
  • saupe130saupe130 Member Posts: 36
    I have a 1996 TLC. Here in Mid TN, with 90-100K they will go for about $17 to 18,000 with a good history in good shape. A real nice one will be maybe $20,000.
  • cadriencadrien Member Posts: 21
    passed on the 96 as I have a solid lead on a 97 40th anniversary edition. Any truth to the rumor I hear that the 40th got a boot in HP? any major differences i should be aware of. Also, what are these vehicles going for in your area?

Hope to be an owner soon!
    No truth to that rumor. The only thing the 40th got was auto climate control and some stickers.
  • saupe130saupe130 Member Posts: 36
    I think they had two tone paint and two tone leather inside too. They go for between $19-21K with ~ 80K miles.
  • mkwamemkwame Member Posts: 21
    I have a 99 Land Cruiser all of a sudden after a recent interior detail job my center diffential light stays on all the time. The switch does not turn it off. Any suggesttions?
  • ironside7ironside7 Member Posts: 38
    I'd try shifting your H-L shifter to low and then to high again and see if that does the trick. The center diff should engage on as soon as you shift to low, and then automatically disengage when you shift to high.
  • lgig1lgig1 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 LC. While re fueling at a Mobil station I had a problem with fuel spilling over. I was inside the vehicle (it was raining hard) and did not notice that the pump did not shut off when fuel tank was full. As a result, about 4 gallons of fuel spilled over. The LC drives fine, however I now drove 77 miles and the fuel gauge still stays at above the FULL mark (it did not move at all). Usually the gauge moves below FULL after about 30 miles of driving.

Could I have damaged the fuel gauge or sensor?
    Would this be something that Warranty would cover? Should the gas station be liable since the pump did not shut off? Please advise. Thanks!
    My advice is to monitor the fuel as you're pumping it in the vehicle. You're lucky you didn't start a fire.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'd contact the station and your state's division of weights and measures. Sounds like a problem that needs fixing. You could have damaged the emissions system, but chances are the check engine light would come on if you did.

I don't monitor the pump all that closely either. I prefer not breathing in the fumes, and I'm usually checking the oil and washing the windows anyway. 4 gallons is a bit much though ;-).

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • h3ybfpfh3ybfpf Member Posts: 16
    I believe there are 2 very small holes on either side of the fuel tank oppening (you can only see these holes when you remove the fuel tank cap).
    Has enyone else noticed these?

Anyhow, my guess is when you overfill your tank, the exess fuel spills into these holes. I have no idea where it winds up or how much can be held before it starts to spill over.

Maybe cliffy of someone else who is knowledgeble can help with this. This is something that can potentially happen to anyone.
  • mtm13mtm13 Member Posts: 9
    I have read through a good number of posts in this room as you guys seem to be quite a bit more active in discussions than the LX owners in that room. I am heavily considering a used/certified LX470 as a replacement to my Jeep GC that's getting ready to come off of lease.

We bought my wife an '01 GS about 9 months ago and since have gotten spoiled by the Lexus level of product. I honestly like the looks of the LC a little better -- seems a little more rugged like I am used to in the Jeep. However the supply of slightly used TLC's are much lower than the LX's in the North Texas area therefore the pricing of a LC is not much different than that of an LX.

I have also gotten quite used to the memory seats in the GS, as both of us are picky about the position of the 27-way power seats. Since Toyota decided not to give this feature to the LC (don't understand why when it is in the much cheaper Avalon) that initially led me to check out the LX. I now know all the small cosmetic and feature differences between the two, but I'm assuming the overall reliability should be about the same since the LX is just a slightly dressed up LC.

If any of you (kjack, md2002, olizer, cliffy seem to be some of the more vocal LC owners) could let me know if there are any particular problems or items that will require special attention as the truck gets much more mileage on it. The one's I am looking at have around 30k-40k miles on them, but I plan on keeping this truck for quite awhile. I have read a lot in the 4Runner room and it seems quite a bit of owners in there have taken their trucks to 150k-200k miles very easily, and without many problems.

Is the same type of reliability I can expect with the LX? I noticed in some of the more recent posts about the adjustable air suspension in the LX being a future issue and I have thought about that too. I'm hoping that the Toyota/Lexus quality will be worth the extra cost. I have been habitually flipping American SUV's on 3-yr leases for more than a decade and I would finally like to get a truck I can keep for awhile -- and I can't think of a nicer ride than a LC or LX.

Any info or insight you guys could give would extremely helpful and appreciated.

Thanks
    If you're used to Lexus luxury and service than go with the Lexus over the TLC. It's simply a TLC plus and certainly has the rugged look and feel. If it has a nakamichi stereo you'll like that more than the TLC stereo system. It also has the raising and lowering switch for easier entry/exit, more wood. a slightly quieter and smoother ride and the memory seating. I'm not sure if the TLC has the latter or not. I was also looking at both as a new purchases but went Lexus because I got a great lease deal. Whichever you choose you can't go wrong here. As far as I'm concerned these trucks are brothers and the best on the road.
  • mount4mount4 Member Posts: 1
    Purchased a 2000 TLC a couple of months ago, very happy! Thinking of replacing shock with Bilgstein shocks. Want to tighten up body lean, but still want to be able to drink a cup of coffee while driving. Has anyone replaced shocks with Bilgstein shocks and if so how is the ride?
    For me the TLC is the way to go. They both look good, not allot them around so you won't likely pull along side one at the next traffic light.

The biggest issue you will face in terms of repair is the adjustable air suspension. If you plan on keeping it long term say 150-200k then it could cost you allot down the road.

But money is relative for some. For me I like the TLC, go anywhere and strong history of quality. The LX is nice, but the cost of ownership is higher than I want to pay ($$$).

The Mark Levinson Stereo is supposed to be very nice, but hey I'm no audiophile so I really wouldn't notice.
    In my town you see one everywhere you turn. At my son's baseball game last week I counted 7 of them (LX and TLC) out of about 20 cars and suv's. Big sellers here in NJ and the more I look at the riverrock green the more I think it's THE color for this truck. By the way the ML stereo is incredible but it only became available in 2001. Before that it was the Nakamichi as the premium stereo and it's also a great stereo though just a tad under the ML.
    I forgot when the ML stereo came out. I recall when my wife bought her car my dealer was trading a TLC for three camrys in Jersey. So I guess you do see allot more than me. I see maybe 2 or so a day and that is mostly coming from the neiborhood I pass.

I am holding out for a 2000 off lease in January that is Millenium Silver with ivory interior and all the options. A doctor leased it and he is paticular about the appearance and cleanliness of his cars. As opposed to another doctor who leases at the same dealer who lets his (spoiled) kids drive it. Saw the last one. Not a body panel that didn't have a scratch or dent on it. He had to get those repaired or pay Toyota.
    If you don't mind me asking, what are you expecting to pay for that excellent condition off-lease 2000 Cruiser? This may be a buying option for me. Awhile back, I think I mentioned that the local Dealer's wife was changing Cruisers in 2003. But knowing this dealer's reputation for not coming much off sticker for Cruisers, I need some inside info as to what's a fair price to make a decision. I understand the wife to use the vehicle only around town running errands, etc. and the vehicle is in excellent condition with low miles.
    I am not sure what the residual is on this unit, bu they had a similar one coming in that was in the mid $30's (33-36k) to buy out. But my search of the net shows three year old TLC's with normal mileage to be in the $40k range to purchase.

For me it has to be a great deal or I will just wait. Based on the dealership and the current leasee I will look hard at buying it since he turns into a new TLC every three years. Of course with my luck he will most likely buy this one.

I will ask the dealer what the buy money is and see what we are talking about.
  • dsforeverusdsforeverus Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2000 TLC that had the "factory" trailer hitch and four-plug trailer wire. We are going to be towing a small trailer (about 2400 lb unloaded) this summer that has electric brakes. I had towed the same trailer last year with a Tundra, but wanted to upgrade to something that was a bit more comfortable for the kids in the back. Anyway, with the trailer brakes, I have to use a 7-plug adapter (the extra plugs are for the trailer brake, charging of the trailer battery, and an extra wire that is not used for anything). I am unable to get the running lights to function, everything else does just fine. When I tried to plug into my boat trailer to test just the 4-plug wire functions, I don't get any lights at all. When I had done the Tundra, I had to use a "taillight convertor" to get everything to work. As anyone else had any problems plugging their "factory" 4-plug into trailers, and if so, what did you do to correct the situation. Thanks for any help.
    I had the same type problem. Go to the biggest UHaul in your town. They either stock what you need or can wire something up for you. I needed the same type deal and it was an adapter they wired up in their shop but had on hand.

MTM, I'd go with what you like. If you're going to drive it for a while out of warranty, that Lexus suspension question is relevant. But there are those extras on the Lexus that may push it over the top for you for the additional $5000.
  • drumbolddrumbold Member Posts: 22
    I have what I think is a problem with my 2001 TLC. When I drive with the overdrive off the trucks RPMs increase by 400 RPM after the last shift point.
    Please try this in your TLC. Push the OD Off button. Steadily accelerate to 50 MPH and level off. As your leveling off do your RPMs jump by about 400? If so please let me know as my Toyota dealer is telling me this is normal.
    I originally noticed this when pulling my trailer a month ago. It had never occurred before then.
    The more input I can get the better.

Thank you,
    Dan
    Thanks for the info. That's gives me something to go on. I agree, the deal would have to be a good one for me to bite. I haven't seen this dealer's LC to even make a genuine consideration on the vehicle but it could definitely prove out to be an option for me.
  • hookbahookba Member Posts: 7
    I'm shopping the older Landcruiser market. From Toyota and EPA literature, it looks like there was a increase in both horsepower and gas mileage with the 1993 gaining in both categories over the 1992. Any chronic reliability problems with the newer 1993 engine? Even if it is Toyota, there can still be wrinkles in new models (eg the 1996 4Runner engine update).
    Good luck. It really is an issue of economics and condition of the vehicle. I don't care if it is a hot SUV, built to last if it has been treated poor, it will do the same.

I figure the only TLC's I would look at are ones that have local service records and dealer knowledge of the leasee. This is what I am looking at.

But hey I may opt for a new '03 4RUNNER if they fit my need. I always wanted a TLC, and my next purchase is going to be it for a good 5-7 years so I know a TLC will last. Just a matter of economics.
  • mikeanmikean Member Posts: 3
    Looking for recommendations for tire replacement for
    my 99 LC.

I was quoted $110 each for the Michelin LTX "S" rated
    $150 Michelin "H" rated. Anyone have better luck with
    other tires.

I will be mainly driving mixed city/freeway with occasional
    trips to Lake Tahoe.

Mike
  • mnallamnalla Member Posts: 6
    My wife and I are about to buy our first LC and it will be a brand new 2002 LC. Needless to say we are very excited about it especially since we are getting a pretty good deal. The challenge ahead of us is the exterior color choice. We have looked at the black, the thunder cloud and the river rock green mica. The thunder cloud is not silver or gray but is more of a brownish hue to it and we did not like it. We have been leaning towards the river rock but are really concerned that we may not like it after a few years. Black is the fall back option and the local dealer has 4 of them in stock and no other colors at present but some coming within a couple of weeks including a river rock.

Any suggestions or opinions are welcome.

Also is the shadow gray interior very difficult to find with a black or river rock exterior? More than 6 dealers in the Los Angeles area say they have never received one with the black or river rock although the brochure says it is available.

Thanks.

Murali
    mnalla@yahoo.com
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Toyota tends to ship particular cars to a given area, so the dealers are correct, balck and river rock may be quite rare.

Hope your great deal is at or near invoice, some dealers in your area are quite fair while others will rip you off.